Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 19, 2016 6:30 AM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Glad to see they added some intro animation and story before going straight into the OP. While short it is a nice added touch.

Basically, we get the 3rd part of this Hina crush. Guess you can say this was our first real arc of the series. Wow I can't believe Takashi is actually a nice guy and not those jocks. Glad to see character development in even side characters. Comedy sticks well as always.

I think chapter 13 might be the best chapter in this anime so far. I totally can relate to the idea of opening up to others and having ur message actually go through. Its like the feeling where you think you are the only way who feels one way and when you find out others feel the same its very gleeful. Accompanying the cinematic portrait of the mood. This probably is my fav directed chapter.

Animation and visual direction great as always.
moodieNov 19, 2016 9:33 AM
Nov 19, 2016 6:43 AM

Nov 2011
Looks like they adapted the last part of the God's Child 3-parter.

Pretty good narrative as expected. The way that Rei expresses his own thoughts is still reflected with his feelings. Yuuske introduced himself to Rei as well and I find their chemistry to be oddly amusing.
Nov 19, 2016 9:54 AM

Dec 2014
the sport ace hogging over rei was so unexpected... a pretty fun filled episode as ever
Nov 19, 2016 9:56 AM
Nov 2015
Why have you guys watched it already??? There supposed to be 3 more hours. I'm so sleepy, it's already 1 a.m here
Nov 19, 2016 10:01 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
oh my god that ED :D

Sean_Nessman said:
Why have you guys watched it already??? There supposed to be 3 more hours. I'm so sleepy, it's already 1 a.m here
err it was out on HS an hour ago
Nov 19, 2016 10:08 AM

Sep 2014
Honestly what's the point if the positive character material gets buried under huge stretches of insufferable humor. I'm sure this part of the story was supposed to be a pivotal point for Rei's development, but the impact has been severely undercut. Such a frustrating episode.
NeromonNov 19, 2016 11:17 AM
Nov 19, 2016 10:30 AM

May 2013
cute ED. I thought they cut this explanation scene.
So, Rei lying about her occupation on Hina. Akari and her grandpa looks know tho.
Nov 19, 2016 10:33 AM

Apr 2014
Neromon said:
Honestly what's the point if the positive character material gets buried under huge stretches insufferable humor. I'm sure this part of the story was supposed to be a pivotal point for Rei's development, but the impact has been severely undercut. Such a frustrating episode.
I like knowing what people think so please dont think I am being antagonizing.

However, what do you mean by this. Are you talking about he first part being buried under the second half of the anime? If so Id like to engage more.
Nov 19, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode.

The first half was incredible. It was such a simple thing but done so powerfully.
I totally relate to what Rei experienced right there, When someone understand completely what you were trying to say, When that message you wanted to convey gets through. It's an amazing feeling. For Rei that's especially true, I was on the verge of crying when he nodded his head in agreement. XD Soundtrack for that particular scene was amazing.
Both Hina and Rei got something out of that encounter. :D

Second and third half were pretty fun to watch, Nikaidou is such a great friend. Rei might not like it, but I really liked how passionate he was trying to get Rei to understand the problems he was facing. It was pretty amusing seeing Rei raise his voice and get angry, Deep down he himself probably understands what he needs to change.
Nikaidou is a better teacher than Rei. xD

That ED. XDD
Though I would have preferred them using the original ED.
Nov 19, 2016 10:51 AM

Sep 2014
moodie said:
Neromon said:
Honestly what's the point if the positive character material gets buried under huge stretches insufferable humor. I'm sure this part of the story was supposed to be a pivotal point for Rei's development, but the impact has been severely undercut. Such a frustrating episode.

However, what do you mean by this. Are you talking about he first part being buried under the second half of the anime? If so Id like to engage more.

I mean that this anime's comedy in general annoys me a lot, especially when it interposes between good character writing moments. For example I really liked that moment between Rei and Hina at the end of chapter 14, but I didn't like the build-up or the follow-up because it's filled with what I consider bad humor (the annoying sound and visual effects, characters being loud and turning into simplistic expressions, basically just lazy attempts at being funny imo), and because of this that moment wasn't as impactful on me as it could have been.
NeromonNov 19, 2016 10:56 AM
Nov 19, 2016 11:04 AM

Jul 2009
I haven't read the manga before so I didn't know what Takahashi was up to, I was suspecting him to have a crush on Hina or something. I'm glad Rei had an opportunity to let his feelings out, at least a part of them, keeping them to himself all the time must have been painful.

Akari saved the day as always. A bit sad she couldn't be with the rest of them on that dinner, they had so much fun.

Also, Rei sucks at being a teacher, Nikaidou is much better. As his best friend he definitely should give him a few lessons on how to teach shogi xD
Nov 19, 2016 11:18 AM
Nov 2015
Neromon said:
Honestly what's the point if the positive character material gets buried under huge stretches of insufferable humor. I'm sure this part of the story was supposed to be a pivotal point for Rei's development, but the impact has been severely undercut. Such a frustrating episode.

I also think they could cut down on the humor, at least make it lesssss loud and noisy.
Nov 19, 2016 11:46 AM

Apr 2014
Neromon said:
moodie said:

I mean that this anime's comedy in general annoys me a lot, especially when it interposes between good character writing moments. For example I really liked that moment between Rei and Hina at the end of chapter 14, but I didn't like the build-up or the follow-up because it's filled with what I consider bad humor (the annoying sound and visual effects, characters being loud and turning into simplistic expressions, basically just lazy attempts at being funny imo), and because of this that moment wasn't as impactful on me as it could have been.
I totally understand what you mean by this. Personally, I feel like its rather purposeful than an amateur attempt.

I justify it like this: Alone in his own space he is dealing with his own problems which shows a more somber tone. Then we get the people around him which uplifts the mood. Altogether it is supposed to show that there is a duality within his world.

Now this is a stretch or just a theory, but I like to think that the way the viewers get uncomfortable with the shift of tone is the same feeling Rei experiences in the show. Ya I know its just taking something out of nothing but with this mindset I began to actually enjoy that more.

Overall I get what you are really saying. I was just curious to know why. Thanks.
Nov 19, 2016 11:54 AM

Sep 2014
moodie said:
Neromon said:

I totally understand what you mean by this. Personally, I feel like its rather purposeful than an amateur attempt.

I justify it like this: Alone in his own space he is dealing with his own problems which shows a more somber tone. Then we get the people around him which uplifts the mood. Altogether it is supposed to show that there is a duality within his world.

Now this is a stretch or just a theory, but I like to think that the way the viewers get uncomfortable with the shift of tone is the same feeling Rei experiences in the show. Ya I know its just taking something out of nothing but with this mindset I began to actually enjoy that more.

Overall I get what you are really saying. I was just curious to know why. Thanks.

Yeah I do get the purpose of it, I just don't enjoy the way it's presented. I definitely wouldn't want to watch an anime about someone being miserable all the time. I haven't thought about tone shifts being purposely reflective of Rei's experience, but even then don't you think that's excessive? It wouldn't become less tiresome for me at least.

Also don't get me wrong I still like this anime a lot. Rei's character is well written and his feelings are very well expressed. I just think it could be much better, hence my frustration.

Anyway, no problem! It's nice to have a peaceful and meaningful conversation for once.
NeromonNov 19, 2016 12:16 PM
Nov 19, 2016 12:17 PM

Apr 2016
As far as I'm concerned, I do hope they'll keep this humor all the way. I love it. It doesn't have to be all the time. It shouldn't be too much but so far I love the speaking animals, I love Momo's face and behaviour, I love the sounds and remarks done for comedy (remember the "Big Liar" from last episode), I love the change of art for the comedy moment, I love Hinata's overdoing everything, I love Nikaidou's oppressive friendship, I love Rei's Teacher lack of tact, and of course I love the serious moments too, I love ... so many things. Or maybe I love everything.

Speaking about the art, I find it even more impressive knowing that shaft is doing it and it feels so different from bakemonogatari or arakawa under the bridge, yet it works (for me at least).

As for Nikaidou, we already knew after his first encounter with Momo that he had a knack for dealing with children.Let's say it : He's a genius. If one day he gives up on Professional Shogi and manage to deal with his health problems, he already has the possibility to become the best teacher in Japan or/and best father on earth.

Amazing episode, I feel the love.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 19, 2016 2:48 PM
Nov 19, 2016 12:19 PM

Jul 2014
..I'm so happy that Shaft did this show.
Ahh, those scenes through Rei's voiceover are just pitch perfect.
..Also the little noises of cats and their feelings is an awesome inclusion..
..the humor in this show is too cute..xD
Nov 19, 2016 12:26 PM

Mar 2016
Such a cute and 'fluffy' episode haha, definitely a feel good one. Loved the chibis, loved the silly cats and Momo. Embarrassed Rei and Hina were so cute.

The show really balances humor/cuteness well with Rei's sadder backstory. I don't feel like my feelings are getting jerks back and forth like I have with other shows. I really liked seeing Rei get frustrated and raise his voice, he's coming out of his shell and I love seeing new sides of him every episode. It's good to see him open up bit by bit, with the sisters, his rival and now the baseball fella.

I really like the Shoji elements to be honest, and I'm looking forward to seeing Rei play more games. Also curious to find out about the white haired Soji fella.
Nov 19, 2016 12:32 PM

Apr 2014
After finishing the episode subs I picked up more things to talk about.

For now, I have to say chapter 13 (episode 7 part 1) might be the best chapter in this anime.

Here is why:

Just to quickly summarize. We transition from where the preceding episode left off. Episode 6 covered 3 chapters. Child of God (Part 1 and 2) and a bit of part 3. Actually, its soo little to the point where we shouldn't even call it "covering" it but hey if that's on the official site. Chapter 13 concludes this first arc. After the opening monologue that happened before the OP, we are right back to the fast food restaurant scene. Rei and Yuusuke Takahashi converse and while it looks like Takahashi has the power in this conversation we immediately see that Takahashi admires Rei. He takes Rei's words and absorbs the message that is given to him even if Rei just stumbled upon that thought. While sincere, it was difficult for him to express what he has to say without sugar coating it. This makes Rei rhapsodic since it's the first time he told the truth about his world. We know from previous episodes that he has lied in order to survive.

I can wholeheartedly relate to the interpretation of letting your guard down and being vulnerable to others. It's something that young adults have a hard time committing to because it leaves you open to people's judgment. When the risk matches the reward (being vulnerable), it's like the feeling when you think you are the only one who feels one way but you find out others feel the same, it's very exuberant. Accompanied by the cinematic depiction of the atmosphere, I feel like this episode transcended the standards the anime has contrived. This is why this chapter is my favorite. The rest of the episode does well with building upon the themes of this episode.

The next 2 chapters in the anime Chapter 14 (Important Things, Important Matter) and Chapter 15 (Teach Me Shogi) pretty much goes along with the development that was shown. While there are different scenarios there isn't much to say new that I didn't bring up. And summarizing it would be a waste. I should note still, seeing Rei raise his voice for the first time was surprisingly amusing. I can recall that my friends for years haven't seen me get angry or raise my voice until one day I started yelling at my sister. Making this scene all the more relatable. To be honest ever since the moment Rei pretty much described his depression I feel like that's when I knew he was a very realistic character. I can't talk for others and I don't want to overrate 3 gatsu, but Rei as a character might be the 1 character I can self-insert as. The 1 character that actually makes me feel like that is me on the screen.

Anyways

So far, Sasaki Shinsaku, Kawabata Takashi, and Suzuki Toshimasa captured the shaft tone extremely well. Rather than throw visual gimmicks randomly they calculate when it is appropriate. Not to take anything away from the entirety of the show but so far 7, 5, 3 have been the strongest episodes based on visual direction alone. In fact I would add episode 1 as well but you can tell that Okada Kenijrou's style was bleeding through Sasaki's storyboard. I wonder if the odd episodes are more enjoyable due to the pacing forcing it that way or something more. Either way the entire series has been a fun ride and we aren't even done with this cour. So far Sasaki is 2/2, hopefully, we see more of him, but I do want to see what Mr.Okada got for an SB. He is the series director after all.
Nov 19, 2016 12:43 PM

Oct 2013
That was one of the best anime episodes I've seen this year. Just fantastic. The humor was spot on. Takahashi is a great character. Hina's reactions are the best. The final closing themes with the shogi cats was awesome.
Nov 19, 2016 12:57 PM

Apr 2014
thank god they toned down the head tilts

Takahashi is a pretty solid character, i wouldn't mind Haru ending up with him
belovingNov 19, 2016 1:05 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2016 1:03 PM

Sep 2015
That was cool episode, love how his secret came out and now he's teaching Momo and Hina Shogu with Nikaidou. The ending lol was Kawaii.
Nov 19, 2016 1:03 PM

Apr 2014
I hope Shaft completes this entire manga, I can't get enough of this anime.

I really like the comedy and I really like the characters. It's such a great anime.
Nov 19, 2016 1:13 PM

Nov 2016
That's some mature middle-schooler. I'm glad their encounter had a positive effect on Rei and I'm happy for Hina too!

The scene with the cats made me laugh because mine understands the word "eat" and reacts in the exact same way whenever that word comes out.

Nikadou sure livens things up.
Nov 19, 2016 1:29 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Takahashi is very humble, i already like him for this. Rei got a happy moment with Takahashi getting what he tried to convey.

The comedy was great in this episode.
Nov 19, 2016 1:30 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Bodoro in the future can be teacher!!!! great!!!
Nov 19, 2016 1:37 PM

Nov 2007
Rei too fell for Takahashi...that was cute. I mean no really, i didn't expect their interaction to be like that at all and it made me happy...i'm happy for Rei. I also liked when they had dinner together at Hina's place......damn,i want some curry.
Nov 19, 2016 1:45 PM

May 2016
moodie said:

Seconded. I have the same vision right from the start :)
Nov 19, 2016 1:53 PM

Oct 2013
this episode made me happy lmao, I like Nikaido's character a lot, as well as everyone's characters in general.

I personally don't really mind the tone shifts, I think it makes for a good juxtaposition. There are just certain places where I think the episode begins to drag just a little bit, but it wasn't anything so major that it took me out of the scene. As a whole though, I'm really really really liking this series.
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
Nov 19, 2016 2:28 PM

Dec 2012
Splendid episode.

Like how Rei was honest & provided advice to Takahashi. Seemed to really help him.
Hina is so adorable blushing over Takahashi coming over to their house.
Curry tasted good. Success.

Nikaidou is so vocal. What a great friend. Hehe Bodoro!!
Sweet of Rei & Nikaidou to teach Hina shogi.

Rei's explanation was a bit intense. Nikaidou using Cats as an example for the pieces was cool.

ED song was catchy. Nice way to visually explain the use of each piece using Cats.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 19, 2016 2:46 PM

May 2015
Wow, I was very surprised Takahashi ended up being so mature. It was definitely good for Rei to talk to him. I also liked how Nikaidou so passionately told him to step up his game. It's also very cute that Hina wants to learn shogi.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Nov 19, 2016 3:11 PM

May 2015
That ED was something else, lol.

Great episode. Takahashi seems like a really nice guy, which is good. I wouldn't want one of those assholes. Gotta love Nikaidou as well.

Nov 19, 2016 3:18 PM

Jun 2013
Rei found someone who understands him to an extent. His rather weird explanation on why he joined high school even though he went pro before that, got through to Yuuske which made him happy. Lol they invite Yuuske over to the Kawamoto residence for dinner and Akira's not home which makes Hina even more nervous than she would have been if her onee-san was at home.

Rei was keeping his professional shogi player thing a secret which was busted when Yuuske shows a video of his match which was broadcasted on television. Lol Rei blowing up over there. Pretty rare especially in front of others.

And thanks to that, Hina has gotten a bit interested in shogi. Lol Kiriyama-sensei sucks at teaching. Bodoro does a better job at that. Lol that ending sequence.

Rei has found someone who has gained an interest in his world of shogi and he's found someone who understands him to whatever level and he may feel interested in talking to him.
Nov 19, 2016 3:26 PM

Aug 2015
Rei needs more guys like Nikaidou and Takahashi in his life. People that bring another side out of him occasionally.
Nov 19, 2016 4:36 PM

Oct 2011
I loved see Kiriyama reacting to Nikaido's advices in that video... It was a glorious scene.

The ED was cute, tho. :3

And this smile melted my heart:

Best episode so far.
Nov 19, 2016 4:44 PM

May 2015
Funnny episode. Really like the charakters of this show. They seems real. :D

Cats are MVP's of this anime. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 19, 2016 5:14 PM

Jul 2014
The thing that stood out the most to me in this episode was that people still use VHSs in Japan.
Nov 19, 2016 5:24 PM

Apr 2013
That romance between Rei and the baseball kid was priceless.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 19, 2016 5:28 PM

Jun 2015
I loved the comedy in this episode. It made me smile a lot. Takahashi is a nice guy. Rei trying to give him advice was funny xD He felt weird doing it because he's never done it before. I feel the same way too. Nikaidou is a great friend. He really cares for Rei. He is also great at teaching shogi. Rei raising his voice was unexpected to the other cast. He's starting to see that other people care for him and accepting it.
Nov 19, 2016 5:54 PM

Jan 2012
Well, that episode was fucking adorable! The cats, Momo with Nikaidou, Hina's freakout about Takahashi coming over, even the ending! Fucking adorable! XD
Nov 19, 2016 6:36 PM

Oct 2012
Guess they have another person to their crowd? It's more than obvious Takahashi will be returning member of their stories.

But wow, the ending, that was really SOMETHING! :D Kudos to Shaft for making it so vivid!

btw - anyone else felt the atmosphere when Hinata was giving Rei the fruit after he got mad? She was honestly happy for him in that scene and I believe she cares for him more than he thinks.

Still think the humour isn't the the best part of this series although the slice-of-life moments it usually invokes are.
Mich666Nov 19, 2016 6:41 PM
Nov 19, 2016 8:37 PM

Jun 2013
Glad to see Takahashi becoming closer to them, seems like he used to visit Hina-chan's home before. I hope they become close friends even if they don't end up as a couple... I'm talking about Rei and Takahashi. They're obviously meant for each other, duh. Hina-chan's the third wheel.

YAY! I got to see my fave character, Nikaidou again! :D I'm always happy when he's around and when Momo-chan calls him Bododo or Bodoro whatever lol
臭い-
Nov 19, 2016 8:49 PM

Sep 2011
It's about time we had some upward direction on this emotional rollercoaster. This is how you do character development. By itself this episode was nothing extraordinary. We've seen it before in so many other shows. What sets this apart is that we have a character with depth and a real, relatable emotional struggle who finds his first bits of happiness in the thoughtful and tasteful intrigue of a stranger.

That scene, because of the context surrounding it, has some ridiculous impact and holds a lot of truth a lot of "outsiders" don't understand. A lot of people without depression talk to people with depression and halfheartedly ask whats wrong or flat our deny the depression altogether, sometimes goes so far as telling the person to build a bridge and get over it. If it were that easy to get out of depression it wouldn't be such a serious and common issue. All it takes is a simple extended hand; One that is filled with genuine intrigue which treats you with respect; One that acknowledges you have authority and omniscience over your own mental domain; One that wants to genuinely better themselves by learning from you. The first step on dealing with depression is making the depressed feel like they are wanted.

Sadly not a lot of people care about what others have to say, and fewer still are willing to extend that hand and see things through. That scene was handled in the most tasteful way possible and I am extremely glad to see this series handle this kind of topic with the respect it deserves.
Nov 20, 2016 1:38 AM

Jul 2014
Though the comedy kinda became a bit much by that ending segment of the episode, but I liked most of the rest of the episode, particularly the small changes in Rei like getting angry that reflect his progression as well as his continued depression.
Nov 20, 2016 4:59 AM

Aug 2015
Nikaidou best bro of the season.
Nov 20, 2016 7:41 AM

Oct 2016
another good episode .. very rare that we see rei bursting his emotion like that lol and screaming Akari is cute thou .
Nov 20, 2016 8:33 AM

Jul 2015
the first half was really amazing.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Nov 20, 2016 8:58 AM

Nov 2015
I liked this episode. That ed suprised me XD
Nov 20, 2016 10:55 AM

Mar 2013
Nikaidou is such a good BFF! XD

Didn't know he was keeping it a secret lol
Nov 20, 2016 1:48 PM

Feb 2014
I'm liking this show more and more. Takahashi, despite his intimidating size, is a very mature person, personality wise. It was really good to see him speak to Rei about his problems and despite his nerves, Rei gave him a very solid answer.

Chapter 14 was really well done too. The cats always put a big smile on my face with their addition to their beloved food. Thanks to the VHS showcasing Nikaido's passionate commentator role in the video, it did make Rei lose his rag a bit, but at the same time, at least he's showing more emotions now than he did at the start of the show. =)

Also, it's nice to see Hina saying that she wants to learn how to play Shogi. Her smile before she asked that question to Rei was absolutely adorable! ^_^

Same goes for the ED animation, featuring cats as the shogi pieces. It surprised me at first, but I like how Shaft did this though. Great job! =D
Nov 21, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2013
damn that hina smile at 18 minutes (damn i'm liking hanakana even more now)
i made that my new profile picture just cause...

also kiriyama getting mad, that was too much fun
winddevil1Nov 21, 2016 8:20 AM
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.