Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 23, 2016 2:40 AM

Feb 2015
Man, that scene was strong in the manga but in the anime seeing it animated was really powerful I'm worried that later scene's will leave me crying like a baby LOL
This is fucking amazing, the anime is only going to get better trust me..

5/5
Oct 23, 2016 3:15 AM

Oct 2016
the shogi game is well presented in this episode .. and well I thought I never get to see akari :v .. but that hina breakdown is the feels in this episode
Oct 23, 2016 3:43 AM

Aug 2012
Great so far.
It got very emotional this time which was very vell portrayed.
HanaKana is without a doubt a great actress
Oct 23, 2016 6:43 AM

Jul 2014
Once again, the emotions this show is trying to convey are strong, powerful and downright impressive. Definitely the best show of the season still, and with more episodes like this it will only get better.
Oct 23, 2016 8:20 AM

May 2015
maaan. im loving this
Oct 23, 2016 8:29 AM

May 2015
Heartfelt and beautiful episode. They couldn't have done it any better in my opinion.

Oct 23, 2016 8:46 AM

Jan 2008
Is the shogi aspect of this anime important to know about at all? I mean I currently see it as a way to introduce other characters but the anime does little about it to make it feel like I should care about it itself like learning the rules and what not. You just get single small part of the match and fast forward he wins but the anime portrays that small bit in enough detail making it seem like it's important like detailed shots of the board, Rei monologuing the moves in his head, etc. I guess with it being tagged 'game' genre, I was expecting more emphasis on the 'game', like when I watch this series, I think too much of shows like Chihayafuru and Saki where matches are usually shown from start to finish, even if not every turn.
Oct 23, 2016 9:07 AM

Apr 2015
Well I know nothing about shogi but doesn't look like it will hamper my experience much

Which is a good thing

I'd have to compliment Shaft because this was absolutely spot on. Best episode I've got from the season so far
Oct 23, 2016 9:17 AM

Aug 2010
First 3 episodes have just been brilliant. Kudos to the director.

Potential to be the best anime of the year for me.
Oct 23, 2016 9:47 AM

Nov 2008
Paul said:
Is the shogi aspect of this anime important to know about at all? I mean I currently see it as a way to introduce other characters but the anime does little about it to make it feel like I should care about it itself like learning the rules and what not. You just get single small part of the match and fast forward he wins but the anime portrays that small bit in enough detail making it seem like it's important like detailed shots of the board, Rei monologuing the moves in his head, etc. I guess with it being tagged 'game' genre, I was expecting more emphasis on the 'game', like when I watch this series, I think too much of shows like Chihayafuru and Saki where matches are usually shown from start to finish, even if not every turn.

After reading over 100 chapters of the source material, I can tell you that I've never once felt too compelled to learn about the game beyond the basics, and that Umino chose to emphasis more on the people playing the game, how they are feeling at the moment, and what goes on in the professional shogi scene, rather than the game itself.

The match between Nikaidou and Rei can be used decently as a standard here; the tone of the scene may be lighter or more somber depending on who's playing against who in a match, but generally the focus between the game and the players hovers around there.
VanceFiniraldiOct 23, 2016 9:58 AM
Oct 23, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2012
Bakazuki said:
Albi-kun said:

I think he was talking about the childhood game.

No he wasn't. The childhood game was before they were professionals (4th-dan and higher), which Rei didn't become until he was 15/16 (middle school) and in Nikaidou's case, until he was an adult (as stated in the second episode, or at least the chapter it was adapting).

How old are they now?
Oct 23, 2016 11:14 AM

Mar 2013
It was strong and emotional episode. The moments near the end got me ;_;
Oct 23, 2016 11:25 AM

Apr 2014
this ep went by so fast was so absorbed in this ep with everything that happened in this ep so many thing happened and got to see that everyone has their problems pretty emotional ep

loving this series more and more
"one step at a time"
Oct 23, 2016 12:40 PM

May 2015
Last 5 minutes hit like a truck. Great episode.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 23, 2016 12:44 PM

Apr 2014
Ninja's cutting onions

What can I say? This series is simply amazing.

How this is still at 7.78 destroys my mind.

If it continues this up or in fact, even gets better, then this will most likely be my anime of the year
Oct 23, 2016 1:23 PM

Jul 2009
Me: why does Akari sound so familiar? OMG SHE'S KAEDE FROM CHIHAYAFURU!!! Anyway another great episode. Nikaidou's a fighter, that's for sure. Seems like he has some pretty serious health problems too, but I like his commitment to winning his next match with Rei. Chapter 6 was pretty rough, definitely got me a little teary at the end :( I wonder what happened? Well either way, seems like Rei just tried to forget about what happened whereas the sisters still leave out food and make animals and light fires for their mom and grandma ... dang lol. I bet this is gonna be one wild ride :P
Oct 23, 2016 1:38 PM

Feb 2014
I pretty much have zero knowledge about Shogi, but I do find Rei's matches to be very interesting. His match against Nikaidou in the past and present was fantastic. However, Nikaidou does have some sort of health condition, so I hope he makes a full recovery soon. =)

The second half of the episode was emotional. During the tribute to their deceased mother and grandmother, it was easy to see from their expressions that they miss them very much.

So seeing Hina making her excuse to walk away from her home towards the river by the bridge where she let out her full emotions was beautifully done from Shaft. I couldn't help but shed a tear as well. ='(

Rei, however, has kept his emotions pretty much locked up after losing someone important to him. Maybe someone can open up his box of emotions for him so he can let his sadness out in the future?

Lovely episode and I hope this show continues to deliver the feels.
Oct 23, 2016 2:09 PM

Nov 2015
Such an emotional episode, really felt bad for Hina.

Oct 23, 2016 3:21 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm i like the way that the anime shows how Shogi is played
In addition to the what happens in the game it also shows how the players feel outside of the game as well.

So this will be his first game since he become a pro player

Love how it shows what their childhood was like as well
man playing a thinking sport outside in the boiling heat
must have been hard

Having spirit and refusing to lose is always a good thing to have
when playing chess. Here both are determined to win and both are stubborn
No wonder it was such a long match

Lol love how the characters are treating this like a manga

Hmm so Harunobu has kidney problems eh
yet he still tries to enjoy Shogi
thats some determination he has

His servants pretty loyal to him
even on holiday he still cares about him
thats some loyalty

Rivalry is always a good thing
its breeds competition
the friendly type

lol Hinata is pretty considerate isn't she
with her organisation of the food

Hmm the last part of the episode where they lighted the fire to allow
their relatives to get home safely was quite something
somber and sad

These ceremonies always invoke so much emotion for those involved
because it allows them to remember the deceased
It was a nice touch when the mc showed up to shoo off those guys in the end
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2016 4:23 PM
Jan 2015
What a wonderful episode. I just love the atmospheric of this show, just episode 3 and here I am crying like a baby.
Oct 23, 2016 7:42 PM

May 2015
that OST during the last movements
THAT IS WHY I JUST FUGGING LOVE HASHIMOTO YUKARI

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Oct 23, 2016 10:19 PM

Jun 2013
This was a really emotionally heavy episode, however the characters emotions are something that this series really excels at, so i think it was beautifully handled.
Oct 24, 2016 3:55 AM

Apr 2016
The most intense seconds of this episode were when they showed Hinata crying but without the sound. It's striking how just removing the sound and letting the imagination do the work made me perceive her suffering even more.

Overall, I might agree that to show the shogi's field doesn't let much of an impact except if one push on pause at the moment, I would think that it makes more sense with a manga, where shogi players might take the time to look at the stategy before turning the page. However They shows the emotions and mental state of the player well, which make that part of the anime with the game intense for me.

I'm biased anyway, I love the narration of this show, I love the art and the scenery (the breakfast scene for instance, or Rei walking along the river), love most of the characters (I'm glad that harunobu is not only the usual chubby guy only here for comedy purpose), love the cats (and from me that's no obvious thing), love the lighter moments, ... I just love this show, so far.
Oct 24, 2016 4:51 AM
Feb 2016
It is excellent episode, I feel.

By the way, it is said the model of Harunobu is Satoshi Murayama, he was famous as genious Shogi-player since he was elementary schooler. So if there is a viewer who feels empathy or sympathy with Harunobu, I want to recommend reading about Mr.Satoshi.
Oct 24, 2016 5:43 AM

Sep 2015
this show has a "GAME" tag included among is geners; so you have to expect that a large portion of the show would include Shogi games ... I don't know why people are complaining about the game part , it wasn't even that boring and I know literally nothing about Shogi
Oct 24, 2016 4:23 PM

Apr 2016
Another harrowing, emotional tidal wave. If the show's hitting this hard already, it scares me to think where it could end up. I might die.
Oct 25, 2016 1:15 AM
Dec 2010
I know it is pretty early to ask such questions, but how does this show look like in comparison to Hikaru no Go so far?
Oct 25, 2016 3:53 AM

Jun 2013
Fuuuuuuck. This episode broke my heart twice. :( When I found out my favorite plus-sized Nikaido was suffering from a kidney disease and seeing Hina cry about her late mom. My cousin's brother-in-law's wife also suffered from a kidney disease and underwent kidney transplant. Unfortunately, after two years, she still passed away. That really hurt. And I know the feeling of losing a parent too. :(

Hanaoka looks like the KFC Colonel.
臭い-
Oct 25, 2016 9:40 AM

Nov 2015
I enjoyed the shogi match, didn't bored me at all.
The end was emotional but didn't make me cry.

4/5
Oct 25, 2016 10:05 AM

Nov 2008
Novalogic said:
I know it is pretty early to ask such questions, but how does this show look like in comparison to Hikaru no Go so far?

You do realize you're asking us to compare a fairly mainstream shonen series with a fairly atypical seinen one, right? Narrative and trappings are going to be as different as night and day. I'll try, though.

As a reader of the manga for this series, I can tell you that this series' strengths have been reiterated over and over in the other posts here. Character development will probably be on par with HnG for you if not better; it just won't be in-your-face about it like shonen series typically are.

However.

I haven't read HnG beyond the first dozen or so chapters (back when physical copies of US Jump were still a thing), but I can at least tell you that if you come in expecting a story similar in structure to HnG, you're going to be sorely disappointed. When this series doesn't focus on the main character's interactions outside of shogi, focus is primarily on the players themselves and the nature of the professional shogi scene rather than on shogi itself. There is no "rise to the top" storyline here. There is not going to be play-by-play overviews of the matches, and individual moves tend to not be elaborated on unless they bear some particular meaning to the person making it, metaphorical or otherwise.

TL;DR This is as far from a sports/games manga as one can possibly get while still being classified as one, so comparing 3nL with HnG is almost completely pointless.
Oct 25, 2016 2:43 PM

Sep 2016
the shogi game was pretty good, i enjoyed it. And the ending was nice too. We get a better picture on who Rei Kiriyama is.

Do not take life too seriously.
You will never get out of it alive.

Oct 25, 2016 2:55 PM

Feb 2016
I feel like this show is underappreciated but w/e.

Do the shogi games make any sense? I got no idea how it works and my only experience with shogi comes from HxH and Naruto where they explained the players moves more symbolically.
The next episdoes üreview said smth about learning shogi?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 25, 2016 3:06 PM

Mar 2016
Dishonest said:
I feel like this show is underappreciated

Me Too.

I'm noticing that a lot of the better anime out there are the ones that go under the Radar.

Oh god, 5 years time and I'll be a pure elitist.

Oct 25, 2016 7:07 PM

Nov 2007
Novalogic said:

If you want to compare this show with any other, then there are Honey and Clover (by Umino Chika, same author) and Gin no Saji (by Arakawa Hiromu, the author of Fullmetal Alchemist) or even Nodame Cantabile (by Ninomiya Tomoko). There is absolutely nothing in common with Hikaru no Go other than the fact that both anime deals with board games (Go and Shogi). That's about all where the similarity ends.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 25, 2016 10:00 PM

Mar 2016
MozillaFennekin said:
When HanaKana cries, I cry.
WHO PUT THE ONIONS HERE?!!!
T___T
No seriously.
Oct 26, 2016 1:03 AM

Oct 2011
Omg he's on the hospital and sick yet he plays Shogi😭😭😭
Oct 26, 2016 7:16 AM

Jul 2016
Feels like this show gonna be superb in the long run. Looking forward for the anime to delve more on Rei's past.

5/5
Oct 26, 2016 9:48 AM

Nov 2011
This time, they walked the hand heavily with earnest arguments: that veil of sadness mixed with melancholy, gave off a poignant feelings; Fortunately there were also comic pills that provide time to recover from all this suffering instilled with the dropper. Doing a synthesis of the rest, drawings and music never leave all the work in the hands of the dialogues, but fail to go along with them well in creating the magic that even today which has not dropped, giving us a dramatic episode, but also so beautifully well it has done under avri aspects. It is a joy to watch this anime. The plot although slowly, does not stop and the characters are always more worthy to be part of it. Beautiful backdrops, make it even more involved with the events recounted.
Oct 26, 2016 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
Very average episode. The sound tracks only able to enhance this show.feel bad that shaft wasted this season on this slice of life anime.
Oct 26, 2016 1:55 PM

Sep 2014
If only I would understand shogi.

I think shaft is doing an excellent job with this anime. To be honest, I wouldnt even watch it if it was not from shaft.

Im really interested in how things will develope, what will happen in march?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 26, 2016 2:22 PM
Jan 2016
This is wierd...i was not expecting nothing good but i like this chapter a lot more than the other two, the entertaining shōgi battle and sad second half were really good, the only thing that bothering me is the boring monologue of the protagonist.
Harunobu is my favorite character in this series.

3.5/5
Oct 26, 2016 4:54 PM
Jul 2016
I like that this anime has two sides going for it ; intense shogi tournaments during the day and then peaceful family time at night, although it's probably not gonna be too peaceful from here on out.
Oct 26, 2016 7:27 PM

Oct 2008
Episode 3 and I still don't understand Shogi at all! LOLZ!
His match with Harunobu was so long! it almost took the entre day the whole match! damn! no restroom? wow! LOLZ!
2nd part was touching also, Hinata cried a lot, but Rei...why no hug!? she's the girl whose close to your age..you should've comfort her! lol
4/5.

Oct 26, 2016 7:42 PM

Jan 2015
The shogi matches are incredibly immersive, if only because of the fact that the clacking sound that the pieces make when put down are so decisively satisfying.
Oct 29, 2016 6:45 AM

Oct 2009
I expected it to be more focused on shogi :D (like hikaru no go or chihayafuru). Pleasently surprised about how good its slice of life parts are.
Oct 29, 2016 7:41 AM

Jan 2015
This was a very emotional episode, both parts
Oct 29, 2016 11:49 PM

Jul 2008
Two sad stories in a row, ouch the feels for both of them.
Oct 30, 2016 2:39 AM

Mar 2009
Will probably be one of Shaft's best shows by the end. Loving their restraint. And the source material is excellent, so this is a winner.
Nov 1, 2016 4:27 AM

Jul 2008
The monologues kind of remind me of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, in a bad way.

"As I listened to her sobbing, the doubts I had shut away began to seep back into my heart like ink."

It seems a bit much...but other than his inner monologue I am enjoying the show so far. I like Akari.
Nov 5, 2016 5:21 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Friend and rival... slice of life, the drama of the lost :(
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 6:06 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.