Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 22, 2016 7:40 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, I still like how the way they present the shogi games in this show. Why so nervous Harunobu?

I also really like the style of the backgrounds they're using especially when Rei takes the train. Very expressive. The shogi match felt more like mind games and I think Shaft did a decent job at capturing the key moments. The facial expressions are priceless and fairly well done between the two rivals.

Someji is also really funny to see, best grandpa. The feels this episode as well...;_;
Stark700Oct 22, 2016 10:12 AM
Oct 22, 2016 10:30 AM

Nov 2008
Ugh. Okay, let me just preemptively point out a major translation error in one of the subs I'm watching (dunno which). It's not "[Rei's] first game after becoming a professional player." It's "his first game [with Nikaidou] after becoming a professional player." Big difference. Otherwise what were the matches seen beforehand?
Oct 22, 2016 10:48 AM

Jun 2015
When HanaKana cries, I cry.
Oct 22, 2016 11:05 AM

Jan 2012
Quite the emotionally devastating episode. Poor Harunobu, destined to forever lose no doubt. And Hina? Well, who could blame her for letting the tears flow? Tears crying out in anguished longing for her lost mother. :(
Oct 22, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode, Captured so many emotions really well.

Bakazuki said:
Ugh. Okay, let me just preemptively point out a major translation error in one of the subs I'm watching (dunno which). It's not "[Rei's] first game after becoming a professional player." It's "his first game [with Nikaidou] after becoming a professional player." Big difference. Otherwise what were the matches seen beforehand?

Ah, Thanks. I thought it was odd he said that.

I was very nice seeing the flashback between Rei and Harunobu, Seeing Harunobu fighting with the heat and trying to win despite all odds pointing to his loss was really moving.
I love the monologues and backstories that come up during Rei's travel, It adds a lot of context and meaning to the events that are about to happen.

The present Shogi match was great, It felt intense even though it looks boring. This is where all the background development comes into play and it does it excellently.
Loved the way how Harunobu's unyielding playstyle reinforced Kei's resolve to win the game.

The final scene of the first half with Harunobu saying "I won't lose next time" was really emotional and put a smile on my face.

As for the second half, All I'm gonna mention is, The beautiful beautiful night sky, The poignant atmosphere, Two people remembering a loss, One stood in utter silence, One's voice filled the air with a heart wrenching cry, Perhaps the feeling they felt was the same or maybe it wasn't. However, All I could do was just sit there as tears rolled down my face. T.T
Lelouch0202Oct 22, 2016 11:20 AM
Oct 22, 2016 11:40 AM

Dec 2014
the whole episode seemed to be wasted on Shogi game... but the part with the sister family is always something to look forward to.
Oct 22, 2016 11:43 AM

Dec 2012
MozillaFennekin said:

Yeah, me too.
.·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.
Oct 22, 2016 12:15 PM

Jun 2016
Heh, that Harunobu face. He's worthy arch-rival material.

The soundtrack is beautiful, it goes a long way in building the melancholic yet strangely uplifting atmosphere. The light guitar track which played during Kiriyama's transit to the Shogi hall, and the piano track that played during the game were particularly good.

This episode bandied a whole lot of complex emotions - it almost makes one feel uncomfortable, like its wriggling through your guard and going somewhere in your mental space where you don't usually go. It reminds you that our reality is a thin, easily-torn veil drawn over a sea of emotions. Any show that does this.. is quite something.
Oct 22, 2016 12:25 PM
Mar 2015
Wonderful episode Rei has so much empathy for Nikadou's pain . He understands Hima's pain for loss of her mother even though he cannot feel anything for his own family because he has shut it away
Oct 22, 2016 12:38 PM

Sep 2014
I'm speechless...
Oct 22, 2016 12:42 PM

Apr 2012
Shinbou and dramatic scenes..... that was close to bad
Oct 22, 2016 12:48 PM

Jun 2014
Loved this. Got teary eyed. ;_;

You can really see Akiyuki Shinbou's style here and its influence. I feel like this staff choice was really well made, I can imagine other people or studios not being able to make this as interesting.
:3
Oct 22, 2016 12:58 PM

Sep 2014
I like this episode a lot more than the previous two.

I enjoyed the shogi match. Not because of what was happening on the board, but because of the two playing the match.

I didn't cry, but I did feel sorry for her. I also liked the glass shattering part.
Oct 22, 2016 1:04 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This is a well directed show. I'm really digging it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 22, 2016 1:04 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
My heart broke when i saw Hina break out in tears. This show is gonna kill me.
Oct 22, 2016 1:05 PM

Jul 2012
That scene with them standing and gazing at the moon ;_;

lol at Harunobu's intense aura while waiting for the match.
Oct 22, 2016 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
Well that got real sad real fast. It must have been really hard for Hina to hold in all that sadness, but at least she got to release it all. It'd be worse if she held it in and never let it out.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 22, 2016 1:45 PM

May 2016
OMG! This anime just did it! IT JUST FUCKING DID IT! IT MADE MY EYES WET! IT TAKES GREAT HARMONY BETWEEN ART, ANIMATION, VOICE ACTING, MUSIC AND SITUATION TO ACCOMPLISH THAT!

INSTA 9!
HyperLOct 22, 2016 1:51 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 22, 2016 1:46 PM

Sep 2015
Gosh I'm relieved thought Hina would have some kind of accident when she walking away from the house, when she wasn't going to the store I assumed it was her mom's grave she was going to. But the ocean was unexpecting.
Oct 22, 2016 1:54 PM

Oct 2012
That was beautiful...
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Oct 22, 2016 2:04 PM

Aug 2013
VanishingKira said:
Definitely prefer when this revolves around the family over shogi,last scene with HanaKana's character crying was good.

Same here. Partially because I know nothing about shougi.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 22, 2016 2:09 PM

May 2016
rsc-pl said:
VanishingKira said:
Definitely prefer when this revolves around the family over shogi,last scene with HanaKana's character crying was good.

Same here. Partially because I know nothing about shougi.

I don't know nothing about shogi...But the significance of that match and everything that had to do with Harunobu in this episode was awesome...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 22, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2013
The staff did a fine job of building empathy for Harunobu and sympathy for Hina. I don't really understand shogi, but the game part had a decent sense of tension.

I thought the scene with Hina crying had a nice dose of realism. Rei stands there gazing upon Hina in her grief, but does not know what to say at first. I've been in a similar situation where anything one might say would seem shallow and not provide any comfort. It was cool of him just to keep her company for a while.
redtailravOct 22, 2016 2:43 PM
Oct 22, 2016 2:30 PM
Mar 2016
TBH, for this to run for 23 ep is jaz plain boring, they, should just limit it to 13 ep.
Oct 22, 2016 3:25 PM

Apr 2016
The expressions and emotion in this anime always makes me teary-eyed.
Oct 22, 2016 3:27 PM

Apr 2011
The feels in chapter 6 were so strong.
Oct 22, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2009
People complained about not having enough drama before but that one episode made up for it probably.

I feel really sorry for Nikaido, poor boy spent his childhood in hospital. He was trying so hard to win. I know it isn't right but I was hoping that Rei would let him win somehow. Though I'm not so sure he would be satisfied if Rei didn't do his best... At least he's still positive about their rivalry and doesn't lose the hope that there's a chance he will be the winner someday :)

The second part was even more heartbreaking. It was visible how much all the sisters suffered and yet the older ones were doing their best not to cry in front of Momo . No wonder Hana wanted to be alone for a moment and let the tears flow. She lost a mother, the most important person for children and no matter how hard she tries to hide the sadness, the pain won't go away easily.
Sometimes words do not help, it's better not to say anything and just stay silent, keeping the other person company and that's what Rei did. It was very real.
Oct 22, 2016 3:48 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Harunobu trying so hard to try & defeat Rei in Shogi. Sad that he has an illness.
I hope to see these two play Shogi together for a long time.

Really enjoy the background music in this show. So peaceful & relaxing, but can be quite somber.

Poor Hina putting up a strong face in front of her family. Sometimes you just gotta cry & let it all out.
Good of Rei to be there for her.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 22, 2016 3:53 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode especially the ending.
Still so many mysteries.
Oct 22, 2016 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
VanishingKira said:

For me it's the opposite. Although, I find the moments with the family sweet.

Hina's grieving was so powerful.

It was a bit of an intense match between Kiriyama and Harunobu.

I know we're just 3 episodes in but it's already painful when an episode ends. I really want more of this.
Oct 22, 2016 4:22 PM

Jul 2013
Love how this series uses the monologues, it makes you really invested in the MC and how he feels the situation he is living, with such a great description of the events surrounding him. And the camera angles just make that better.

I actually ended liking Nikaido a lot. Love how his willpower doesn't make his give up even when he is clearly having a bad time. I even felt his anguish over how much the hot was made him suffering through that flasback. I get kinda sad for him when his butler reappears and mentions he is receiving medical treatment. When Rei mentions in his monologue they will be playing shogi forever, I cannot help but think Nikaido is receiving some deathflags. In the previous episode, I thought he would just be a comedic relief character made to lighten up a bit the mood of the show, but it seems that even he is fucked up too :(

The part of the sisters was just as sad. Loved how Rei described them as pale and downhearted despite their cheerful outside, showing how broken they are inside. And Hina's scene at the end can be summed up in one statement:

MozillaFennekin said:
:´(

Also, really sad that Rei reached that conclusion about his deceased parents. The poor guy must have suffered a lot in the past to adopt that thinking.
Oct 22, 2016 4:50 PM

Feb 2012
Okay, that was way better than last week's episode. Not really a fan of how this show is more a collection of moments rather than something with a more continuous narrative, but that's nowhere near as deal-breaking an issue as this show's over-reliance on humor at points - and obviously I don't consider the humor to be a deal breaker as long as the show doesn't depend on it.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Oct 22, 2016 4:56 PM

Oct 2012
I get it that shougi is important for this series but was it even necessary to dedicate 15 minutes to the match with Harunobu? This is no shounen, you know and he is terrible character. Maybe he gets hospitalized later only to spark MC catharsis? But right now, it's painfully obvious they are using those bad comedy moments and shougi fights to offset the drama happening later in those episodes.

That being said, the rest of the episode was really good. The suffering of lost family is omnipresent here and no wonder Hinata couldn't take it anymore. They are cycling all character on episode basis, guess it's Momo's turn next time? (and then MC sister perhaps?)
I just hope they won't stick with that for the rest of the series as it would got old really soon if they reminded us all the time. But it's clear MC has to learn to cry again, accepting his wounds rather than disregarding them and that's the goal of this anime in the long run.
Oct 22, 2016 5:11 PM
Nov 2015
Bakazuki said:

I was curious about that too, thanks for clearing it up.
Oct 22, 2016 6:02 PM
May 2016
So emotional episode, the mood really suits the background and music. I feel like I lost a part of my soul O_o
Oct 22, 2016 6:09 PM

Jul 2014
Good episode, but I can't get over how weird the mouths look.
Oct 22, 2016 6:53 PM

Jun 2015
What a great episode. We got to see a flashback for Rei and Harunobu, which was nice to watch. Harunobu is persistent to beat Rei. The shogi match was quite intense to watch, past and present matches. It was very well done. Harunobu's butler is a cool guy. Cutting his vacation to take care for him brought a smile. The feels at the end was real. Holding in those feelings must have been hard for Hina. I cried a bit :(
Oct 22, 2016 7:25 PM

Dec 2012
Bakazuki said:

I think he was talking about the childhood game.
Oct 22, 2016 7:57 PM

Nov 2014
man, THE HUMOR. It keeps distracting me >.< I guess I will drop this series SOON.

---

Satire aside, I feel like this is still a solid episode. The pattern is pretty much like the previous episode, but we also get to know "new" character's background. I wish Momo would be the spotlight of next episode because we sure as hell can do a mood uplifter some good.
Oct 22, 2016 8:06 PM

Sep 2011
Ive never seen a show so emotionally loaded yet completely empty. This show appeals to my emotional side but my logical side keeps throwing up alarms indicating that there is no content here. It's a touching story but it doesn't feel like anything is happening. All character development but no plot. It conflicts with what I am looking for in a show of this nature. This is, of course, a personal issue and does not speak for the actual quality of the show. Still one of the better offerings in this atrocity of a season.
Oct 22, 2016 8:23 PM

Aug 2015
Surely, no one would drop this after the 3 episode test. I mean I was already fangirling during the first episode. (ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧
Oct 22, 2016 9:51 PM

May 2016
3 Episodes in; still no Head Tilts...What's the deal here, Shaft?
Oct 22, 2016 10:17 PM

May 2015
I'll admit it, the shogi match was hard to comprehend since I don't know a thing about the game. But I enjoyed the drama quite a bit. The music and directing fits so well and adds so much to this series.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 22, 2016 11:01 PM

Sep 2013
Intense game for sure. The inner monologues within Rei did a great job in making this match feel important, especially since I have no idea how this game is played.

Poor Kawamoto family. I was expecting this but I didn't think I would feel this bad. That final scene with Hina was hard to watch and I felt horrible for her and the family.

4/5- Though I have 0 knowledge of shogi or whatever its called, the writing and Rei's monologues definitely made his match a huge deal. Which is impressive considering how boring the game looks. The writing and soundtrack is spot on with the background animation looking great. Major props to Kana Hanazawa, her acting in that final scene was superb. She's definitely becoming one of my favorites from her roles in the last 2 years.

Oct 22, 2016 11:39 PM

Jun 2013
Rei and Harunobu played each other when they were kids. Harunobu looked like he was about to die because of the heat but still carried on with the game despite Rei trying to end things as quickly as he could. And this match also has the same result.

Rei chose to forget about his parents because it would only make him cry and crying will do him no good so he's kept those feelings locked away. But seeing Hina cry like that is probably making him reconsider that decision. Hina tried not to let these feelings surface all this time and went far away to let it out. And Rei might be thinking of doing something similar. Pretty good stuff here.
Oct 23, 2016 12:01 AM

Jun 2013
too much emotions
Oct 23, 2016 12:14 AM

Jul 2014
so much emotions in this episode, they really adapted it so well from the manga, i started to love this series so much...
Oct 23, 2016 12:57 AM

Nov 2008
Albi-kun said:
Bakazuki said:

I think he was talking about the childhood game.

No he wasn't. The childhood game was before they were professionals (4th-dan and higher), which Rei didn't become until he was 15/16 (middle school) and in Nikaidou's case, until he was an adult (as stated in the second episode, or at least the chapter it was adapting).
Oct 23, 2016 1:39 AM

May 2015
This show continues to be one of my favorites from this Fall 2016 season. The feels got me real good in this episode. Shaft did a great job in portraying the Shogi matches.

Looking forward to next week!
Oct 23, 2016 2:24 AM

Jan 2008
Emotional, especially when Hana cried. I really like how the emotions are portrayed
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.