Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2016 3:56 AM

Nov 2012
A far cry from The Godfather/Goodfellas/gangster movie like anime I was hoping for but honestly knew I wasn't going to get,I guess I'll give this a 6/10 for atleast being different from the usual but can't say I thought highly of this series otherwise.
Oct 1, 2016 4:16 AM

Nov 2014
I think Nero didn´t kill Angelo for 3 reasons:

First, the episode makes us remember back to the time where Nero couldn´t kill Angelo so let him live, 7 years ago.

That scene is played back at the beach, Angelo walking away from him, and Nero with his hands trembling, trying to point at him.

Second, the discussion about how the revenge was worthless in the end, which in my opinion was the best part of the entire series .. revenge leads to nothing. Nero knew that killing Angelo would not solve a thing..

Third, at the beach, we see where the footprints end, tho we see no body or blood, and no the water did not wash everything or else it would have washed the footprints as well. I think there is a double meaning to this, first that Angelo lived, so as Nero (there were 2 trails ..) second that their relation, everything that has happened, ended there.

The water washing away both trails kinda tells us that they just went seperate ways. Nero is gonna be running away from the Galassia for the rest of his life, and Angelo, as he told us, has no reason to live. Both are, let's say, screwd ..

Ultimately, washing away the footprints can also mean this:

They both died. Nero killed Angelo, and on his way back, we see the intersection between Nero and one of the Gallasia's guys. When Nero laughed, could mean the he knew, he would not live longer. The smile on his face could be a smile of "It's finally over" because, so as Angelo, he did not had anything to live for anymore. All he cared about was Vanetti's name, but now Vanetti's were no longer alive so why bother living ..

Either ending in my opinion is nice and well made.

Oct 1, 2016 4:27 AM

Apr 2015
A question just came up to me.
Did they ever show what was in the note angelo gave fio when she killed ronaldo?
Oct 1, 2016 4:38 AM

Apr 2014
Solid 8/10. Ending could've been executed better (in my opinion) but I'm statisfied.

Overall it was a pretty decent drama series. Would recommend to those who love such genre.
themanualreader@proton.me
Oct 1, 2016 5:19 AM
Aug 2016
Gotta say.. I was slightly unsatisfied with it being an open ending ,however after reading comments and theories then rewatching it ... I came to terms with it being ambiguous. So like everybody else said ,this ending has different routes all based on the viewer's personal interpretation. And the same goes for me , I have my personal preferred ending and all the other possible alternatives that are also plausible. So I'll talk about my personal interpretation.
As far as I know , Angelo was determined to die till the very end and after that talk with Nero about how he should've just killed him seven years ago along with the rest of his family to end his suffering and misery, I think Nero understood Angelo better and so decided to forgive him because he saw with his own eyes how revenge leads to emptiness and misery (Angelo also said it was all for nothing). So despite Nero forgiving him I think Angelo still asked Nero to kill him and he chose the ocean as his grave, so in those final moments when Nero was telling him about not needing a reason for living , he was trying to convince him to go on living instead of giving up , but that didn't seem to change Angelo's mind so Nero just granted his final wish and killed him(hesitating before pulling the trigger)So it was not an act of Vengeance it was just granting his friend's final wish, that's why later on he smiled in the car seeing the canned pineapples and remembering their good memories. Then I believe that Nero also died at some point later on because he was being hunted down by an entire family (Glassias) ,So finally the footprints on the beach ,they are just a symbolic metaphor of how no matter how many steps they take in this world their lives just leave a weak trace that can be easily washed away and erased by the waves of the vast ocean.
So that was how I truly felt about the ending even though both of them living sounds very plausible as well I feel like with the dark and tragic atmosphere of the show ,their death is more fitting .
And now after the show is over I will feel a void in my heart each Friday unless another show fills it in, nah jk but really this ending was rather depressing and sad than thrilling ,and due to the emotional rollercoaster that I've been riding on this show, I'll give it a 10/10! It was the only show in 2016 without any supernatural bullshit ,so it felt so real and engaging , I hope I find something similar in the future.

Edit: I forgot to mention, did anybody else notice how the music at the very end is the same one from episode one , when they were showing the credits in the middle of the episode?! Damn that music was beautifully haunting *....*
insignificant101Oct 1, 2016 5:43 AM
Oct 1, 2016 5:42 AM

Apr 2016
Did he survive or not?
Oct 1, 2016 5:48 AM
Aug 2016
R_TF said:
Did he survive or not?

Unfortunately buddy , his fate is in your hands, you have to decide whether you want him to die or live and whatever you choose will be the right answer, that's why it's called an open ending.
Oct 1, 2016 5:52 AM

Apr 2015
insignificant101 said:
Edit: I forgot to mention, did anybody else notice how the music at the very end is the same one from episode one , when they were showing the credits in the middle of the episode?! Damn that music was beautifully haunting *....*

I noticed too, they're a bit different though.
The one from the 1st ep is the main theme while the one from this ep is called "digress from the main theme"
Both equally chilling and beautiful though
Oct 1, 2016 6:02 AM

Sep 2013
You don't need a reason to live, You just live.
Great words from a mafia gangster lol
Oct 1, 2016 7:11 AM

Feb 2016
Wtf is that fucking bullshit ending
Oct 1, 2016 7:14 AM
Aug 2016
Raz1515 said:
insignificant101 said:

I noticed too, they're a bit different though.
The one from the 1st ep is the main theme while the one from this ep is called "digress from the main theme"
Both equally chilling and beautiful though

Oh yeah I meant similar not the same (sorry typing mistake) Anyways they're both equally beautiful and soul ripping, love them both :')
Oct 1, 2016 7:33 AM

Mar 2013
The bromance level in this episode was over 9000.
hahaha
Oct 1, 2016 7:40 AM

Aug 2015
Loved this show probably my favorite from this season. 9/10
Oct 1, 2016 7:43 AM

Aug 2015
Damn. It was a good finale i didn't see that coming it's just...
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Oct 1, 2016 7:55 AM
Sep 2016
Zeally said:
It was a decent attempt at a mafia show, but I felt like Angelo didn't really have much of personality. His sole motive in the entire show was to seek revenge on the Vanettis, and i felt that was a bit too 1 dimensional. I did however enjoy the manipulation that Angelo orchestrated throughout the show. I also think Nero spared him. He probably felt remorse for taking part in wiping out his family, and it seems like both Nero and Angelo liked/respected each other. However, I wished it was a bit more conclusive.

7/10

Really? I find Angelo to be one of the much more interesting and complex anime protagonists. He's cold, but still very much has other emotions (anger,a sense of humor, regret, careness for Corteo, etc), who reached a conclusional viewpoint by the end.
Oct 1, 2016 7:58 AM

Dec 2013
What! Are! They! Doing! Damn! My! Feelings!

I'm so happy that I watched it today instead of yesterday cause I didn't want to go into a rage/crying fit on my birthday.

The anime was so good! I loved the story, I loved the art. It gave me so many feelings. But why the open end?! I want answers when I finish watching something, not more questions T_T

Oct 1, 2016 7:58 AM
Sep 2016
Barcia said:
Flawfinder said:
This ending would have been a lot more effective if the show had bothered to develop the characters or the world in a way that didn't adhere to every goddamn gangster revenge story cliche under the sun.

Personally, it doesn't matter if Avilio lived or died. It's not important to the story and it definitely wouldn't change my opinion of 91 Days overall.

Amen to this. Average, just average

I don't understand why, but I feel like in this case, the other characters aside from Angelo and Nero being underdeveloped (- maybe Corteo) works. Maybe because we're not supposed to give a crap about them, like Angeo. Just see everything at a pure bird-eye's perspective.
Oct 1, 2016 7:59 AM
Sep 2016
Dishonest said:
Smudy said:
You have the nerve to end it like that...

There is definitely more to the footprints at the end but i really didn't want an ambigious ending to THIS series. A movie like American Psycho or the NGE movie really made this work, but here i really think that a completely conclusive ending would have been the better choice.

Angelo has no reason to live anymore, for that reason alone it's useless to make it open ended. He's dead when he's alive. Nero being alive surprised me. His smile really bugs me though.

7/10.

EDIT: I guess, you always get salty at an open ending right after. Now that you actually make the move to think about it, i guess the ending did its job.

8/10 (i was at this rating since episode 10)

I think Nero's 'you dont live for a reason, you just live'(or however it was), meaning he let him live was the other interpretation of the ending. I liked it, the whole part since min. 12 was very well made. I would give the show a 7/10 but the ending and soundtrack bumped it to 8/10. I also liked the many Shakespear references(like I mentioned in ep. 11 discussion)

Shakespeare references? Where?
Oct 1, 2016 8:00 AM
Sep 2016
juliagatari said:
The bromance level in this episode was over 9000.
hahaha

Uh, really bud? Really?
Oct 1, 2016 8:04 AM

Jun 2013
I knew it, Nero was the last one standing. I had a feeling this would happen.

Still, I'm guessing he just shot at nothing. Avilo gets to go to Florida and Nero will be hunted by the Galassias.

BTW, I keep forgetting the setting is in the USA. I know they keep saying Prohibition era, etc. but with all the Italian surnames, I keep forgetting they're NOT in Italy.

This was my favorite series for summer 2016.
臭い-
Oct 1, 2016 8:11 AM

Feb 2016
Avilio is dead. The broken footprints at the end kind of symbolizes that.

Nero is also dead. He was being followed.

There is really no reason to speculate this open-ended ending since they both had it coming.

I really liked how they made us not see their deaths, cause if we see them die that would be like undramatic.

They played it quite well in this ending, and for that I'll give the show an 8/10
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Oct 1, 2016 8:16 AM

Aug 2013
In the beginning I thought, that Nero killed him, but then I've seen ending and changed my mind.
Visceras said:

Third, at the beach, we see where the footprints end, tho we see no body or blood, and no the water did not wash everything or else it would have washed the footprints as well. I think there is a double meaning to this, first that Angelo lived, so as Nero (there were 2 trails ..) second that their relation, everything that has happened, ended there.

The water washing away both trails kinda tells us that they just went seperate ways. Nero is gonna be running away from the Galassia for the rest of his life, and Angelo, as he told us, has no reason to live. Both are, let's say, screwd ..

Visceras made a good point, I too think that Nero missed his shot, because if he shoot there obviously would be blood and we've have seen none. Also, I like your explanation, that water washing their footprints means, that it's the end of their tale - that both of them ends it here and they are going separate ways.

Btw. the music in the end was wonderful!
Oct 1, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2015
one of the best animes this season
8.5/10
Oct 1, 2016 8:58 AM
Oct 2016
This anime was amazing at the beginning till the end
I was sad for corteo's death :( the same for Angelo
I didn't understand why Nero killed him I thought they both got over everything and wanted to start a new beginning but BAM ! shooting Angelo?!
I mean I know he had no reason to live anymore
but why angelo told nero "did you know why I didn't kill you? cause I didn't want to''
I mean what the *** he killed your family and forced you killing your bestfriend !why not killing him !!!!
but for this ending if there will be a second season somehow the this is my deductive :

I think nero knew that there was someone watching after him and that's why he did shoot angelo but I think he did shoot him on area like his shoulder or something not meaning to kill him and then he drove back to somewhere to make the one who's watching after him follow him and then nero kill him or something

but this anime was very amazing I'd like to watch it as a movie from Hollywood
it would be great

I give this anime 8.5\10
Oct 1, 2016 9:09 AM

Nov 2013
DeathfireD said:
He's still alive. Avillio kept walking while Nero shot. If Nero had killed him the foot prints wouldn't have stopped at the same exact place. Avillio's prints would have been longer. My hypothesis is that Nero shot and missed. Avillio stopped. Nero walked up to him and told him goodbye and to live. Nero gets in his car and leaves because he knew the mob was still after him. He gave Avillio a chance to live a life outside of the mob. With Avillio not returning with Nero, the mob will assume he's dead because they've seen the two together.

As I was reading this, I realized the following scenario:

Nero was aware that the mob were in the area. He may believe that he was spotted with Angelo in the car. So the gunshot was intended for the mob to draw the conclusion that when they find Nero alone in the car, that Nero got his revenge and so they won't go looking for Angelo, because they assume him to be killed by Nero, who they believe had a good reason.

Still, the footprints are a mystery. But I think this theory, quoted, is the most plausible.
Oct 1, 2016 9:25 AM

Mar 2016
I felt the anime as a whole felt kind of rushed and could definitely have fleshed out some of the characters more before they died.
Open ended ending was great though

Overall this is definitely one of the best 2016 anime
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 1, 2016 9:27 AM
Aug 2012
Nero shot was not to distract Mafia, since he aims direct to Avilio, he close his eyes like 7 years ago, but suddenly he opens his eyes before shooting implying he did not miss this time.

Nero is a motherfucker, I did not like this end.
jiricoOct 1, 2016 9:45 AM
Oct 1, 2016 9:38 AM

Apr 2009
Why does this anime have such a low rating? I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Already bought the first volume of the novel and can't wait to read it, maybe there will be more inner monologues there.

Honestly speaking, I don't care if either of them lived or died, because either way, they were pretty screwed to begin with. Nero will definitely be killed by the Galassias one day if he stays alive. And Angelo just has no desire to live anymore. He never really had any anyway. It's stupid to be expecting to be satisfied after getting your revenge.

I also felt this anime was 10000 times better than any of the movies released in the past few years.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Oct 1, 2016 10:05 AM
Oct 2014
Bushishi said:
SilverDio said:
The episode was a little underwhelming at the start but the final 8 minutes saves all.

This is what happened:
-Nero and Avilio arrived at the beach.
-Avilio started walking.
-Avilio tell him that he couldn't kill him (implying he is his friend)
-Nero aims at Avilio.
-Nero remembers that he couldn't shoot 7 years ago
-Nero fails on purpose again.
-Nero leaves the beach thinking that Avilio can live again
-Nero smiles at seeing the pinneaple can (a memory of the trip they did, implying that Avilio is his friend)
-Nero is being traced by a Galassia member
-Nero knew that already and that's why he left Avilio at the beach
-Nero dies by the Galassia
-Avilio lives (implied by the footsteps in the sand if he died there would be a mark in the sand or his body)

Awesome ending. I loved how Nero understood that both of them were in the right of trying to kill each other since tay took everything from the other and still he felt sympathy for Avilio.

Incredible series.

But at the same time, both kinda seemed to have lost their desire to kill the other. Nearly every scene with the two had a feeling of worn outness, fed up with all the death that's happened.

I think both died very soon after the last scene, Galassia Don don't kill him because was interested on have Avilio as mermber of Galassias, Avilio refuses, the Don expected to change their mind and Avilio was in a safe place guarded with some Galassias members, somehow Avilio called Nero because he wants to die by his hand, But Nero still can't do it, as expected Avilio planned to die, so he took that magazine from Galassia Don, so when he disappears he can be easily traced by the Galassias, so if Nero killed him or not, he would die, because is with Nero at the eyes of Galassias Don now thats a problem and he need to kill him too.
Oct 1, 2016 10:11 AM

Apr 2014
Hmmm, I don't really know about this episode. On the one hand, the ending had a really good build up and quite a satisfying ending. But on the other hand, the kind of flashback to when he was still captured wasn't really necessary.
Oct 1, 2016 10:12 AM

Jun 2009
Yamada2 said:
Nero's plans worked perfectly for Strega. Strega is now the don and he wouldn't have to deal with the Vanettis anymore. And god damn the entire Vanetti family has been wiped out except for Fio and Nero. Angelo sent everyone and everything to hell just by killing one old geezer. And Strega has Angelo sent to kill Nero and he probably gets caught. I didn't get these events. The very beginning shows Nero barging into Angelo's room and supposedly taking him away. But then Strega tells Angelo to go kill Nero. But if Nero picked up Angelo from that hotel, then why go to the Island when clearly that place is a battlefield? These parts didn't make much sense to me.

Thank you! This right here! This scene made no sense whatsoever. What was the point of Angelo in the room wrapped in bandages being asked to go kill Nero when earlier we see Nero busting in to grabbed. him. Just made the follow of events confusing because the first time I watched it, I was thrown off by that abrupt (to me) flashback of him with Galassia again after seeing him get away from them.

This finale didn't really do much for me. It was cool that they had a little adventure again. But other than that, made me feel very indifferent. Maybe because it being open ended but I think mainly because outside of killing Nero, he got what he wanted already so there was really nothing else left to tell or want from the series after episode 11. Dead or alive doesn't make a different since their is nothing left to accomplish....unless you want to assume Nero (and Angelo if not dead) try to take back Lawless. But that is another story/series itself right there.

high 7/10, low 8/10 overall for me

And did anyone notice that the guy in the car that stops at the end was the same one that entered the diner when Nero told the waiter about Angelo being tired up because he was a prisoner?
Oct 1, 2016 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
I really can't stop thinking about the scene under the tree where Avilio tells Nero that he should kill him 7 years ago. It shows that alleged act of kindness, letting Avilio live, was the factor that made his life miserable and painful and as a consequence destroyed everything Nero ever dreamed of.

Many people say that Nero spared Avilio's life beacause of this 'you don't need the reason to live' quote, but it keeps me wondering.

If Nero acknowledged that he made a mistake in the first place, that he did not make Avilio a favor, he made him suffer. I guess it would be a reason to kill him. Nero might shot Avilio not beacuse of revenge, but because it was the right thing to do. This time it was a true act of mercy.

Nonetheless, I hope that's not the truth. There's a reason we don't see Avilio's dead body or blood at the end. Maybe he really 'just lives'.
removed-userDec 1, 2016 10:43 AM
Oct 1, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2016
really surprised no one commenting on the fact they were pretty all over the place the first half of the episode
glad they ditched the one dude, he was too nice, but... HE GOT CLAPPED XD
Lu-Ru said:
I think they both died. Nero killed Avilio and the guy in the car recognised Nero, followed him and killed him.That's why the footsteps disappear....

there are a lot of theories, but this is the one im sticking with. Nero's smile was perfect <3
Q_Q G_G ;-;

Oct 1, 2016 11:43 AM
Jan 2015
I feel like this series would make a great live action movie. unlike all the other animes that have gotten one. And I feel like it'd even be good if it was an American movie. So it'd have a higher budget and better effects. Would like to see this happen in the future.
Oct 1, 2016 2:09 PM

Sep 2013
Didn't liked the open end. The poster hints at the ultimate showdown between Nero and Angelo, but was it just troll????

I wanted some action and angsty expressions, not some romantic getaway for two 'revenge-fanatics'. Therefore, i want to think that Nero shot Angelo, correcting his 7 years ago mistake and Nero had no chance to outrun Galassias forever.
Oct 1, 2016 2:13 PM
Aug 2016
I wish they will show us an ova about how Angelo lived in those 7 years away from lawless ,it was probably #hobolife , but it's still very amusing that he was able to live alone as a kid and survive for 7 years
Oct 1, 2016 2:20 PM
Dec 2011
It didn't end the way I expected. I hope Avilio lives.

The anime is definitely one of the best of 2016. It's been a really long time since we got a decent maifia story.

Solid 9/10

If you want some similar anime but a bit on the unrealistic side try Gungrave. It has a really beautiful story.
Oct 1, 2016 2:45 PM

May 2015
I'm finally done with this. This anime was such a chore to watch. Sure, it's my own fault I didn't enjoy this since it didn't appeal to me at all. Like Amanchu, the only reason I watched it was because some people were hyping it.

Also, this was my first mafia series and I'm unsure if I'll be watching any more of those anytime soon. I honestly bet I would've enjoyed this anime a lot more if I was 10 years older. Basically, this show was 2deep4me.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 1, 2016 3:55 PM

Sep 2016
I really like this show and even though I would have liked to know who survived this finale I liked the ending. It was different than most anime.

One of the better anime this year for sure. 9/10
Oct 1, 2016 4:43 PM
Jan 2015
I wasn't expecting an open ending and it took me a while to sink in but it was kind of fitting. My interpretation on this is that, Nero didn't shoot Angelo just like he couldn't 7 years ago, letting him walk away onto a new life without revenge or hate which is why he smiled at the end. (Maybe the waves were a symbol of cleansing or washing away everything and starting a new without a trace of the past). Nero will be caught by the Galassias in the end and die eventually and can't keep running away forever but I think he accepts his fate.
Oct 1, 2016 5:12 PM
Feb 2016
TaeRim said:
Can you tell me what the hell was that? I'm so mad I can't even.
Did he killed him? Like for real? I'm so angry I need to calm down. Angelo should just kill all the Vanetti and hasta la vista, baby. I wish I could give this series 8/10 but now it's 7/10 or even 6/10.

Shirasho said:
And everybody dies.

Sadly it was the ending itself that made me not care. That open ended ending really pisses on everything the show has built up to. We are following Avilio and his revenge story up until the very end. We are supposed to be invested in his character and we want to see how things play out for everybody until the very end. We then get this ambiguous middle finger as if to say it is up to us what happens.

As far as I am concerned Avilio gives Nero a second chance. Avilio is shot, dies, and is carried off by the tide (hence the footsteps just stopping, and anime never draws the fine details like blood in the sand after it was washed away by the tide). Nero drives away and is pursued by the guy in the car. His fate is less clear but ultimately gets cornered and is killed as well. That's how Ill interpret it because that is what should have been explicitly shown to us.

geralt said:
It's not just the ending, this whole last episode baffled me quite a bit personally. Even without focusing on how easily Nero managed to get to Angelo or how he was calmly roaming around without getting caught by the Galassias, I was perplexed by his behaviour with Angelo. While it made perfect sense that the latter would be emotionally broken after achieving his revenge, Nero's decision to embark on a road trip akin to the one in episode 4(?) instead of just killing him as soon as was convenient was too weird.

Also, what was the point of last episode's cliffhanger where Angelo was found by Strega when pretty much nothing was done about that other than a useless conversation?

The ambiguity of the ending itself didn't bother me that much, so at least there's that. Still, compared to last episode I feel this one dropped the balls. Overall, though, this has been a really solid revenge story and it showed that anime can deliver stories which are usually not associated with Japan.

7/10 but it's more like a 7 and a half.

Cream_Soda said:
I was on the fence between a 7 and an 8 and the ending solidified it as a 7 for me. I'm within the group of those not a fan of open endings. I can live with it though.

I enjoyed the show, and looked forward to it, each week. It will be missed.

If they add an OVA to expand on the ending a bit more, I'll come back and bump my score back up to an 8.

Memor said:
I really dislike the open ending, but the series was good overall. This episode felt kinda lacklustre compared to the last.

7/10

jaw1811 said:
God, what a shitty ending to a shitty series. The fact that Nero didn't die really bugs me for some reason...oh yeah, it was basically the driving force behind most of the goddamn plot of the series! The reason why I stuck with this series was to see how Avilio killed Nero in the end and they robbed me of that one thing. Fuck you. 2/10

uzee said:
That last scene ruined the good impression from the previous episode. Why would Nero be smiling at the end - he literally has nothing left to be smiling about. Moreover, up until the point where he shot we were left with the impression that it would be "we killed each other's family and friends, and lived happily ever after". Don't get me wrong, seeing the beach scene and Nero driving away immediately gave me the feeling "this ending would be awesome in a novel", which is obvious since it's based on a novel but it totally felt off for an animated work. I mean without the narration of the thought and feelings of the characters that last scene was weird

10kou said:
To be honest, I was expecting a lot from this anime. It was the one that interested me the most this last season.
I'm a person who quickly emphatizes with the characters, so seeing that ending, and seeing so much pain, such feelings, and such an open finale... Thinking that Angelo/Avilio may have died... It hurts me a lot?

I wished that Avilio and Nero could feel sorry for each other, and now that they have nothing to lose, they could maybe stay together.
I dunno, I wish they make an OVA or movie to finish this, because my heart really hurts. I really liked Angelo.
It's a 9/10 for me.

Memor said:
I really dislike the open ending, but the series was good overall. This episode felt kinda lacklustre compared to the last.

7/10
Aahil said:
And so it's up to the viewers to decide on whether which end you want.
1. Angelo was killed
2. Nero again shot a blank
3. Rem is the best girl

I'm disappointed with this ending. I was expecting too much from this anime...I really don't know why everybody are talking about the footprints and theory...I really think that they don't know how to end it so they did a "philosophical" end so that the poeple may think : "oh yeah, great ! An open ending give us the opportunity to develop our imagination" ...really?!

First what's with that trip they made? Aren't you supposed to fulfill your revenge? A few days ago Angelo was going insane REMEMBER HIS CREEPY SMILE WHEN HE KILLED HIS FRIEND...and now he's acting like a friend towards Nero?! It isn't realistic ever! If it was a real mafia matter, Nero would have killed Angelo at the begining of the episode or at least it would have finished with a mortal/death duel...Really, I was expecting so much from this anime and the end just took away/vanished all my expectations. This "end" isn't logical at all. This is how I saw the episode :
"-Hey buddy, you've killed all my family when I was young.
-Yeah, but I didn't kill you.
-It doesn't matter, I killed your family too.
-Yeah, it's bad. But life is beautiful... be my friend?
-Hell, yeah! BBF!Go to see the ocean..."

It was a bad ending scenario for a good anime, unfortunately. At the end of the episode I thought to myself : "I wasted my time with this anime". They made us expecting too much from this anime just to give us this neverending-no-realistic-end...Are they kidding me?! Things like that happens in shonen like FT but not in mafia series. An opponent is an opponent... They made us watch Angelo fulfilling his revenge and then nothing like this happens...Don't talk about originality, because it isn't, excuse me. It's just a fail. It's as if Luffy said : "Hell yeah, becomin' the king of pirate is boring...let's work in the Marine"...

This end just spoiled everything : the scenario, the plot and the mabiance/vibe of the anime...Now, I have to find another anime to watch, because I want to forget this last episode...

Another disappointing thing : the death of Corteo was just a waste after all...

Disappointing end, and tha final rating for me is 7/10 because of the end, but if I don't count the end, it will be an 8/10
Oct 1, 2016 5:39 PM

Mar 2014
Nero definitely killed Angelo. I could tell by the ending that Nero clearly did not want to share his last ration of pineapples.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Oct 1, 2016 6:12 PM

Mar 2014
the ending is obvious for nero who is unable to escape from mafia's track and angelo who doesn't have any achievement to live anymore, and angelo knows that nero would definitely die of it,so his revenge had already been done.
ButtSlapperOct 1, 2016 6:23 PM
Oct 1, 2016 7:23 PM
Sep 2013
elliot-jpg said:
I really can't stop thinking about the scene under the tree where Avilio tells Nero that he should kill him 7 years ago. It shows that alleged act of kindness, letting Avilio live, was the factor that made his life miserable and painful and as a consequence destroyed everything Nero ever dreamed of.

Many people say that Nero spared Avilio's life beacause of this 'you don't need the reason to live' quote, but it keeps me wondering.

If Nero acknowledged that he made a mistake in the first place, that he did not make Avilio a favor, he made him suffer. I quess it would be a reason to kill him. Nero might shot Avilio not beacuse of revenge, but because it was the right thing to do. This time it was a true act of mercy.

Nonetheless, I hope that's not the truth. There's a reason we don't see Avilio's dead body or blood at the end. Maybe he really 'just lives'.

What I was thinking ^^^
Oct 1, 2016 7:37 PM
Nov 2015
It's weird that nero returns to his car ,but there are no footprints indicating that which means the same could be applied for angelo. Nero did not shoot him and he left ,but as for nero i think he will die by that man at the end.
Oct 1, 2016 7:41 PM

Jan 2011
A decent show overall.

Could have done Avillio and Nero's relationship better, there wasn't much to go on that he ever started thinking of him as more than a target. Apart from it being the typical development with these kind of things that is.
Oct 1, 2016 7:45 PM

Jul 2011
Probably said before, but I think that final shot was suppose to represent something more. Like an analogy with the same scene 7 years ago. Rather than not being able to shoot him again, Nero chose not to shoot him this time (but confidently takes the shot)? So then "Avilio" dies, begins a new life... whatever that will be.

Or Nero let him live because it would make Avilio suffer again? Live with the pain of his actions and further losses, rather than "peace" in death.
Oct 1, 2016 7:58 PM
Sep 2016
tkayo101 said:
Guys, I don't even know where to begin expressing my disappointment with the finale.

1) All the build up to the showdown at the Playhouse and we don't even get to see it??? Barbero, Nero's right hand was killed. He had his doubts about Avilio (Angelo) and we don't even get to see his I-told-you-so moment. And Vincent Vanetti, the head honcho himself, we don't get to see how he gets killed either. It's just disappointing. I was looking forward to it.

2) Avilio (Angelo) had come so far, sacrificed so much in enacting his revenge (RIP Corteo #CorteoDeservedBetter). It doesn't make sense why he chickened out of killing Nero. Did he bond with his target a little too much?

3) This doesn't have to do with the finale specifically, but I hate how the writers handled Corteo's character. He was a plot device through and through. Written to push the story forward but in a very contrived way. Obviously without his alcohol Avilio (Angelo) couldn't as easily have gotten into the mafia. But after getting in he completely ignores Corteo. There's very little chemistry between them. Just Avilio bossing him around. Avilio and Nero shared more chemistry imo. Episode 11 was really the only time we saw Avilio stop acting so cold towards Corteo and reminded the audience of their childhood relationship.
I just feel like for the most part Corteo was just there. There was not much else to cling to with his character. He was just tagging along with Avilio because Avilio told him to. Dragged into a life he never wanted a part of. Bossed around and ignored. And then disposed of through a self-sacrifice when his job for the plot was done.

1) Vincent's illness killed him.

2) Once Corteo died, Angelo really didn't give a shit about his revenge anymore. He was just going through the motions.

3) I can't argue against that.
Oct 1, 2016 8:15 PM

Aug 2013
I quite enjoyed this last episode until the very ending. The episode was very full circle.

The series started off with Avilio running into the darkness with Nero aiming a gun at him, then after the timeskip he's on the run with Nero and they start to bond and do all kinds of stupid little things.

At the end, they're on the run again, but with a sense of nostalgia. They didn't actually do anything fun, but you could almost feel the memories. Rather than laughing, they were finally bringing all of their problems and truths to the surface, coming to the realization that there's no going back. Nero gets pissed and makes Avilio come to the conclusion that everything he did was for nothing. Avilio screamed and broke down and made Nero feel the weight of his family's decision from 7 years ago.

As for the ending? I've seen both arguments and I cant really decide.

On one hand, there are hints that he did shoot Avilio.
- When Nero became Don and they were celebrating with a meal, Avilio leaves the room after asking about the night Nero couldn't shoot and says "well you're capable of pulling the trigger now right?" And Nero didn't deny it.
- Nero seemed more determined when he pulled the trigger this time than when he did 7 years ago
- The ending is kind of full circle, Nero couldn't shoot an innocent kid running into the dark, but he could shoot his friend who betrayed him walking (sort of) towards the light.

As for him not shooting Avilio:
- There was no blood
- There was no body or drag marks and Nero went back to his car immediately
- The footprints magically ended apruptly
- ^ There was no way the ocean could have washed all of it away instantly

As for them both bead dead:
- Could explain the unexplainable foot prints magically disappearing
- Could explain the random can of pineapples in the car
- Could explain the reason for that random guy in the car following them

It was so needlessly open ended that I cant even decide which theory stands the chance of being right.

Now as a whole, I did enjoy the show for it's story and for the way Avilio's revenge plot unfolded.

What I didn't enjoy, and one of the reasons I picked it up in the first place, was the interpretation of the mafia and the prohibition era. Honestly it was pretty inaccurate.

At first I thought they came up with the fictional town Lawless because they didn't want to tread on anything historical facts from Chicago...but then they said the Galassias were from Chicago. So that raised the question, why not just make the entire show take place in Chicago? I say that, because Lawless was a relatively boring fucking place. Chicago was rampant with corruption, crime, and interesting sites, Lawless was relatively pointless. One island where they had some bars, and lots of farm side country.

This brings up the first few inaccuracies. 91 Days relied too heavily on the theme of prohibition and bootleg alcohol. Sounds very mafia-esque at first. But alcohol was just one part of the prohibition era. As much as they relied on booze, the mafia also had lots of big houses and parlors dedicated to gambling and prostitution...which were both absent in this show. Really alcohol wasn't all that interesting. They bought up the foreclosed breweries, paid off local government, and sold it in their bars, and to other bars.

The other thing is that when Avilio and Nero were on the run, they basically stuck to the outskirts of Lawless. That usually never happened. They made some accurate, yet subtle references to it, but Florida was a major getaway for mob bosses who needed to fly under the radar. They would often get as far away as possible and delegate through a subordinate or a hideout.

I felt like the subtle homages to Chicago, Florida, and the PA Railroad were more accurate than the major themes of the show.

The violence was also dramatically overplayed. Sure there were killings and lots of people with tommy guns, but big massacres like that were few and far between because they were so violent, and that level of violence then drew fear from the public, notoriety from the press, and the attention of the government. Small time hits and assassinations were more common, until Capone got pretty drunk with power and attention.

Those were kind of the biggest gripes for me, but fortunately all of those pieces were basically tools that Avilio used in his revenge.

I'd give it a 7/10. Would probably be a point or 2 higher if the ending was open and if they were a little more historically accurate.
Oct 1, 2016 8:39 PM
Sep 2016
Jonesy974 said:
I quite enjoyed this last episode until the very ending. The episode was very full circle.

The series started off with Avilio running into the darkness with Nero aiming a gun at him, then after the timeskip he's on the run with Nero and they start to bond and do all kinds of stupid little things.

At the end, they're on the run again, but with a sense of nostalgia. They didn't actually do anything fun, but you could almost feel the memories. Rather than laughing, they were finally bringing all of their problems and truths to the surface, coming to the realization that there's no going back. Nero gets pissed and makes Avilio come to the conclusion that everything he did was for nothing. Avilio screamed and broke down and made Nero feel the weight of his family's decision from 7 years ago.

As for the ending? I've seen both arguments and I cant really decide.

On one hand, there are hints that he did shoot Avilio.
- When Nero became Don and they were celebrating with a meal, Avilio leaves the room after asking about the night Nero couldn't shoot and says "well you're capable of pulling the trigger now right?" And Nero didn't deny it.
- Nero seemed more determined when he pulled the trigger this time than when he did 7 years ago
- The ending is kind of full circle, Nero couldn't shoot an innocent kid running into the dark, but he could shoot his friend who betrayed him walking (sort of) towards the light.

As for him not shooting Avilio:
- There was no blood
- There was no body or drag marks and Nero went back to his car immediately
- The footprints magically ended apruptly
- ^ There was no way the ocean could have washed all of it away instantly

As for them both bead dead:
- Could explain the unexplainable foot prints magically disappearing
- Could explain the random can of pineapples in the car
- Could explain the reason for that random guy in the car following them

It was so needlessly open ended that I cant even decide which theory stands the chance of being right.

Now as a whole, I did enjoy the show for it's story and for the way Avilio's revenge plot unfolded.

What I didn't enjoy, and one of the reasons I picked it up in the first place, was the interpretation of the mafia and the prohibition era. Honestly it was pretty inaccurate.

At first I thought they came up with the fictional town Lawless because they didn't want to tread on anything historical facts from Chicago...but then they said the Galassias were from Chicago. So that raised the question, why not just make the entire show take place in Chicago? I say that, because Lawless was a relatively boring fucking place. Chicago was rampant with corruption, crime, and interesting sites, Lawless was relatively pointless. One island where they had some bars, and lots of farm side country.

This brings up the first few inaccuracies. 91 Days relied too heavily on the theme of prohibition and bootleg alcohol. Sounds very mafia-esque at first. But alcohol was just one part of the prohibition era. As much as they relied on booze, the mafia also had lots of big houses and parlors dedicated to gambling and prostitution...which were both absent in this show. Really alcohol wasn't all that interesting. They bought up the foreclosed breweries, paid off local government, and sold it in their bars, and to other bars.

The other thing is that when Avilio and Nero were on the run, they basically stuck to the outskirts of Lawless. That usually never happened. They made some accurate, yet subtle references to it, but Florida was a major getaway for mob bosses who needed to fly under the radar. They would often get as far away as possible and delegate through a subordinate or a hideout.

I felt like the subtle homages to Chicago, Florida, and the PA Railroad were more accurate than the major themes of the show.

The violence was also dramatically overplayed. Sure there were killings and lots of people with tommy guns, but big massacres like that were few and far between because they were so violent, and that level of violence then drew fear from the public, notoriety from the press, and the attention of the government. Small time hits and assassinations were more common, until Capone got pretty drunk with power and attention.

Those were kind of the biggest gripes for me, but fortunately all of those pieces were basically tools that Avilio used in his revenge.

I'd give it a 7/10. Would probably be a point or 2 higher if the ending was open and if they were a little more historically accurate.

Hmm, I see your point of view very well, but I'm fine with the historical stuff being more centered around just the bootleg. Also, there were only like, 2 massacres in the whole anime?
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2016

183 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 14, 11:38 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

213 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 11, 12:53 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2016

119 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 8, 7:21 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

210 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 5, 7:53 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2016

174 by damoInstinct »»
Jan 27, 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.