Forum Settings
Forums

Charges dropped for the remaining officers in the Freddie Gray Case

New
Jul 27, 2016 12:33 PM

May 2009
Link

I would be lying if I said I was not shocked. I kind of am but I feel like this was to be expected. I also think it was a homicide.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 27, 2016 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
There's a conspiracy afoot

removed-userJul 27, 2016 1:23 PM
Jul 27, 2016 1:48 PM

Aug 2015
Bezaliel said:

Clinton News Network strikes again
Jul 27, 2016 1:49 PM
Mar 2011
ultravigo said:
Bezaliel said:

Clinton News Network strikes again

your far right is showing
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 27, 2016 3:33 PM

May 2010
I've barely known that this whole thing existed, but going from the details I've read so far, his neck broke when the top of his head collided with something with a degree of force behind it.

Given that there was another non-police passenger, and the van made multiple stops just to re-seat this guy that they had no reason otherwise to provoke, I find it really hard to believe, given the details laid out before me, that those police officers had anything to do with his death. At the very least there is information to suggest that he took his own actions which resulted in his own death, and there's no evidence to the contrary or to support any kind of litigation against these police officers.

"We could try this case 100 times, and cases just like it, and we would still end up with the same result."

You could read this in a different way too: "The court of law does not convict innocent people."

Of course, I'm no professional, but that's what it sounds like given the facts. Supposedly the medical examiner labeled it as a homicide (according to the news I heard in the background just now), so who knows. All I really suspect is that the prosecutors don't know much more than we do, and if that's the case then how could they have ever hoped to have brought any kind of justice?
Jul 28, 2016 8:33 AM
Jul 2016
I am not surprised about this. These officers get off went talking a black man life
Jul 28, 2016 8:46 AM

May 2009
Anjim1989 said:
I am not surprised about this. These officers get off went talking a black man life

So where's your proof that they did it? If the court doesn't see enough evidence presented, clearing the cops of all charges is the right thing to do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2016 11:08 AM

Dec 2007
The issue was always that there was no evidence to support the criminal charges, only supposition and hyperbole. If you could convict and condemn people just for supposition and hyperbole, there'd be no reason to have courts. And any criminal could just point at someone else, say "he did it" and walk away laughing as an innocent person got hauled off. There's a reason we came to this system.

The US court system is based on the theory that "it's better for 100 perpetrators to go free than for 1 innocent person to be punished." That's why the burden of proof is so high. Now, the odds are that the police were at least negligent, but for all the posturing, there's no clear violation to point to. When that happens, the best that can be done is to add a law that makes something they did wrong a violation. It can't be used for this incident, but closes the hole for any future ones. Oftentimes, these politically charged cases end up with the shouts of "hang 'em!" instead of the reasoned "let's prevent this from happening again." Remember the old saying: "two wrongs don't make a right."

Now, the police officers have, because they were charged with so little evidence, filed a complaint against the prosecutor in the State Bar alleging prosecutorial misconduct. While the odds are in the prosecutor's favor, there are enough issues for a toss-up situation to occur. And if she loses, the prosecutor could be disbarred, and essentially lose her current career path. I say current because she could still seek other elected office even if she's no longer a lawyer.
Jul 28, 2016 2:04 PM

May 2010
JuggaloPlow said:
Guy gets arrested for having an illegal switch blade knife. Very stupid law btw.

Pretty sure he was arrested because he ran from the cops.

Didn't you look at the time log picture thing?
Jul 28, 2016 4:16 PM

May 2010
JuggaloPlow said:

That doesn't tell the full story.

He ran and then surrendered. The officer didn't need to use his taser. He was reported to be carrying an illegal switch blade, but it turns out it was a legal spring assisted knife.

He was then handcuffed and put in the police van without being properly fastened inside. There's a history of serious injuries involving instances just like this in the same city. They drive recklessly and bounce everyone around in the back on purpose.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/22/us/baltimore-freddie-gray-what-we-know/

"An officer apparently took his Taser out and was prepared to use it on Gray, but he never deployed it, Rodriguez said. And none of the six officers involved in the arrest described using force against the 25-year-old."

Tell me if that's wrong and point to a more credible source. More current information from the same source can serve as credible if that's what you have.

As far as the ride itself:
"It's unknown what caused the spinal cord injury that led to his death a week after the arrest, and it's also unknown what, if anything, happened inside the van"

That last information I remember hearing on this, is that there was no evidence, including tapes covering the van in question, that the detainees were subjected to a rough ride.

Again, if you have more recent contradictory information then I'd be happy to look into it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.