Forum Settings
Forums

Sentai Filmworks' New Licenses for American Distribution

New
Jan 22, 2010 9:31 PM

Jan 2008
According to Section23, a North American anime distributor, Sentai Filmworks has licensed the following titles for a Spring release:

Gintama - First set releasing on April 27th
Hidamari Sketch x 365 - Full series releasing on April 6th
Asatte no Houkou - Full series releasing on April 13th
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette - Complete OVA releasing on April 20th

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette was previously licensed by Geneon Entertainment.

Source: ANN

Thank to user Touka for the tip.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 22, 2010 9:54 PM

Jul 2006
Angry comment:
HOW DARE SENTAI LICENSE ONE OF MAI FAVORITE ANIME AND NOT GIVE IT A DUB

Not so angry comment:
I'm glad HidaSketch was licensed a few months back, but the lack of dub makes me sad :(

And since they licensed the second season, I'm guessing the first one sold well enough over here. Which is good.

Yuno Desu

and lol Gintama. I betcha everyone thought FUNi would for sure pick it up. Wonder if it will receive a dub since it's a much more well known series. Baby Naruto will be happy.

edit: actually read the link. gintama will be subbed only it seem.
JusticeGundamJan 22, 2010 9:57 PM

Jan 22, 2010 10:02 PM

Jun 2009
two pretty random ones i never would have guessed. i don't care if they dub the shows or not, subbed is way better imo
Jan 22, 2010 10:15 PM

Jan 2008
I personally was on the fence about buying the first season of Hidamari Sketch because I don't like owning the first season of a series if the next season won't be released in America. Like, I have Shakugan no Shana season 1 and Higurashi season 1's boxed sets, but there's been no word on whether the next seasons are ever going to come to America. Sad, sad.

But now I can buy Hidamari Sketch knowing for sure I'll get season 2 <333333333. I trust Sentai to license season 3 later also.
Jan 22, 2010 10:19 PM

Jul 2009
Only reaction here is that I'm glad that Gintama is getting some attention...
This is a signature.
Jan 22, 2010 10:21 PM

Oct 2007
Well Gintama was a real shocker for me. I'm kind of relieved that it's gonna be subbed only not that I think a dub would be bad. It's just too many things would get lost in translation. And correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Lucky Star dub kept some of the comments and jokes about Japanese pop-culture and the likes. So hearing a Gintama version of that where the whole series is one big parody on Japanese history seems pretty eh.

I'm just happy to be able to own my favorite series of all time even if it's only subs.
Jan 22, 2010 10:48 PM

Jan 2009
This news has been out since yesterday, if I'm not mistaken.

But I'll still spread the love anyway.

Gintama is finally getting licensed! I don't care if it's sub only (I do prefer that, they would just ruin the dub I think) but at least I can finally buy it and add it to my collection.
My brain: Yorozuya Gin-chan -> Yozakura Quartet = Yorozuya Quartet (this is how much Gintama has affected me).
Jan 22, 2010 11:49 PM

Jun 2008
The choice to release a long on-going series like Gintama sub-only seems strange to say the least. Don't they usually aim to get shows like that aired on tv (As far as I can remember, all others like it did. Bleach, Naruto, Inuyasha, One Piece [at least for some time], etc.)? And of course, they only ever air English dubbed anime on tv in the states.

Ugh, I hate Sentai. They release everything sub-only.
Jan 22, 2010 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
I've been hearing good things about Gintama, so I would surely try it out at some point. Though, after getting a bit tired of the fillers in One Piece and switching over to the manga, I wonder whether to go with anime or the manga in the case of Gintama.

Now Sentai, don't forget to consider Mononoke, Nodame Cantabile and Mouryou no Hako the next time you want to license something ;)
Jan 23, 2010 12:14 AM

Dec 2008
Read this a while ago. I might get Gintama for the hell of it.
Jan 23, 2010 12:21 AM

Mar 2009
Nice, all series sounds good. I'll buy them whenever they're released. :D
Jan 23, 2010 12:36 AM

Jan 2009
gintama & le portrait :D
i'll make sure to buy those items~
Jan 23, 2010 12:48 AM

Jan 2008
I own the Geneon release of Le Portrait. If this packaging is as beautiful as Geneon's though, I'll consider owning both.
Jan 23, 2010 2:02 AM
Oct 2008
No dub ... from the looks of it a lot of anime recently isnt getting dubbed... another reason not to buy anymore
Jan 23, 2010 2:55 AM

Jan 2007
Definitely picking up Hidamari and Gintama. Glad April is not too far away.
Jan 23, 2010 3:50 AM

Jul 2008
I'm a huge fan of Gintama, but living in England this news doesn't really affect me, although perhaps I will import the DVDs. I am just glad Gintama its getting some attention. I'm also glad it's Sentai and Section32 that are handling licensing and distribution. Thankfully ADV isn't completely down and out yet. I've always been impressed by their releases. I'm happy the series won't be getting a dub as well, since as mentioned so much would be lost in translation. Also, thanks for the mention Panaru!
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jan 23, 2010 4:54 AM

Jan 2008
Hey, no problem. Actually another user linked me to your topic and that kind of started the whole thing.
Jan 23, 2010 6:12 AM

Nov 2008
nice gintama u r getting some attention
Jan 23, 2010 7:02 AM

Feb 2008
I approve of Hidamari DVDs. 0 . 0X
Not interested in the rest though. >:
Jan 23, 2010 8:23 AM

Jul 2009
Panaru said:

Hidamari Sketch x 365 - Full series releasing on April 6th

OH GOD YES

Thanks for the info!
Jan 23, 2010 11:10 AM

Jun 2008
Gintama! YAAAAY! But really, thank goodness they aren't dubbing it. I've never wanted a Gintama dub, except for the fact that it would mean it was liscenced.

So I finally get to buy Gintama, huzzah!

Rule of Anime #18 - Law of Hemoglobin Capacity
The human body contains over 12 gallons of blood, sometimes more, under high pressure.
Jan 23, 2010 11:30 AM

May 2007
I can't believe someone actually licensed Asatte no Houkou, that is amazing.

I want Gintama to have a dub but don't expect it.
My anime list
Jan 23, 2010 11:47 AM

Apr 2007
Sentai Filmworks? I don't think I've heard of this company before. It seems they only release subbed DVDs too, cool. Well I'll most likely end up buying Gintama, just can't resist <3
Jan 23, 2010 12:20 PM

Jun 2008
Why are people happy Gintama isn't getting dubbed when they can just avoid it either way?
Jan 23, 2010 12:58 PM
Oct 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
Why are people happy Gintama isn't getting dubbed when they can just avoid it either way?

because stupid people watch things they hate just so they can find more reasons to whine?

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Jan 23, 2010 7:23 PM

Dec 2008
I'm happy that Gintama is getting licensed, especially by Sentai. They can also release it fast because it's sub-only.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Jan 24, 2010 5:46 AM
Apr 2009
cb27ded said:
I'm happy that Gintama is getting licensed, especially by Sentai. They can also release it fast because it's sub-only.

Yeah I noticed they work SO fast on releasing anime dvd's here after licensing them. I didn't think that releasing subs here is faster but it makes sense why.
Jan 24, 2010 5:20 PM

Dec 2009
One of Gintama's features is that they use famous VA from famous characters in parody.
Example: Hasegawa (Gintama) <=> Ikari (EVA) : similar look, same VA
If it's dubbed, some connection is likely to be gone.
Jan 25, 2010 1:41 PM

Jul 2008
Some info on price and running times.

"The first is Gintama, a long-running historical/sci-fi comedy series from Sunrise, which debuts in a "Collection 1" DVD on 4/27/10 for $39.98. It runs 325 minutes.

Living For the Day After Tomorrow (aka Asatte no Houkou) is another new license. The drama series from J.C. Staff debuts on DVD on 4/13/10 in a complete collection, priced at $39.98 and running 300 minutes.

Third, Hidamari Sketch's sequel series, x 365, is licensed as well. A complete collection DVD set is expected on 4/6/10 for $39.98, and runs 400 minutes.

Finally, Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, a horror OAV from Doumu (Please Teacher) and previously licensed by Geneon, debuts in a complete DVD set on 4/20/10 for $19.98. It runs 120 minutes."

Source
Jan 27, 2010 9:34 PM

Jun 2009
Thank god Funimation didn't get the chance to hack this one apart like Sgt. Frog.
Well one thing I've learned from this experience, is that a princess is still a princesss even when she is naked.

Jan 27, 2010 10:01 PM

Nov 2006
I'm not familiar with Sentai Filmworks; do they have good translations for other series they've done? I want to buy Gintama, but I want some opinions first since good TL is a necessity for Gintama.
Jan 28, 2010 5:56 AM

Jul 2008
windy said:
I'm not familiar with Sentai Filmworks; do they have good translations for other series they've done? I want to buy Gintama, but I want some opinions first since good TL is a necessity for Gintama.

Sentai Filmworks are one of many companies ADV split into when they sold off their assets. They're pretty much up to the same standards, so expect good translations. When ADV were still in business they distributed a lot of anime for Sentai, such as Clannad and Mahoromatic, which all had no problems concerning translation.
ToukaJan 28, 2010 6:01 AM
Jan 28, 2010 10:53 AM

Nov 2006
Touka said:
windy said:

Sentai Filmworks are one of many companies ADV split into when they sold off their assets. They're pretty much up to the same standards, so expect good translations. When ADV were still in business they distributed a lot of anime for Sentai, such as Clannad and Mahoromatic, which all had no problems concerning translation.
Gotcha; thanks for the info. Will be buying then. :)
Jan 28, 2010 11:18 AM

Mar 2008
hey, few days ago i started watching gintama.. im at episode 120 now, and wtf....... i cant watch it anywhere anymore, all the vids have been deleted..
cuz its licensed now, right?
but well, will i be able to watch in online ever again? and if so, then when?
or can i only watch it when im buying it...it's one of my favorite animes, i gotta watch it, please..someone explain it to me ;D someone..i need help 8[

and all talking about april, will it be online again at april or what? and will episode 120 be watchable right april again or will they start new subbing at ep 1 again, every week 1 episode or wtf.. i dont understand im really dumb right now ;D please someone help ^^
thanks thanks thanks
Jan 28, 2010 11:37 AM

Nov 2006
Romeo said:
hey, few days ago i started watching gintama.. im at episode 120 now, and wtf....... i cant watch it anywhere anymore, all the vids have been deleted..
cuz its licensed now, right?
but well, will i be able to watch in online ever again? and if so, then when?
or can i only watch it when im buying it...it's one of my favorite animes, i gotta watch it, please..someone explain it to me ;D someone..i need help 8[

and all talking about april, will it be online again at april or what? and will episode 120 be watchable right april again or will they start new subbing at ep 1 again, every week 1 episode or wtf.. i dont understand im really dumb right now ;D please someone help ^^
thanks thanks thanks
Crunchyroll.
Feb 2, 2010 1:25 PM

Jun 2007
Touka said:
windy said:

Note that Mahoromatic was originally translated and released by Pioneer/Geneon, so Sentai's releases used the pre-existing dubs and subs.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Feb 8, 2010 2:49 AM

Jul 2009
wth?! licencing Gintama!!,I can't find videos to watch it =.=
except for Megavideo,I hate megavideo >_>
Mar 3, 2010 12:37 PM

Mar 2008
This is really sad news (that Sentai will not be english dubbing gin tama), but I will still buy the DVD Box Sets and watch them English Subbed.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

10 by Deoxyribo9 »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

12 by Softhenic03 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

20 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:23 PM

» Light Novel 'Izure Saikyou no Renkinjutsushi?' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - May 9

5 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» 'Dungeon no Naka no Hito' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - May 9

2 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.