Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ajin: Demi-Human
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 29, 2016 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A lot of narratives about the Ajins..

I think this OVA was just as brutal as the TV series in terms of violence. Even the torture videos are hard to bear. Those agents really underestimated what they were facing with. I'm glad they kept most of the violence in tone of with the manga for the OVA overall.
May 30, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2015
You came to the wrong Ajinhood motherfuckers.

I only watched the anime, does he appear earlier in the manga or something? Anyways it was a fantastic OVA, I feel bad for his friend tho, he was a real bro while he lasted.
May 30, 2016 3:47 PM

Feb 2013
I guess Shinya's case answers the whole 'can you kill an Ajin by beheading them?' question, and seems like answer's no, since he seems to remember everything and acts like he did before (with the added paranoia of course).

Also, commanding multiple black ghosts that are visible? Very different to other Ajins.
May 30, 2016 3:52 PM

Jun 2010
Lol that ending made it seem like a don't text and drive add XD
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
May 30, 2016 6:07 PM

Mar 2013
Watching this really makes me wish season 2 would hurry up already. This was a nice explanation to how shinya realized he was an ajin also is he going to be the main focus or character in the next season(pretty sure I'm wrong) because I would be ok with it whether he is or isn't. overall this episode or OVA made me hate the fact that were not getting the second one until october even though I want to watch it now. also Yuusuke is a true friend no more than that unfortunately I don't know of a word for it.
May 30, 2016 9:10 PM

Jul 2009
I'm a bit confused is Yusuke not also an Ajin? A little black smoke came out of him plus his voice repeating his last words like the IBM normally does. I want him to be cause it sucks he died. He was a real bro.
May 30, 2016 10:07 PM

Mar 2015
JPthugnificent said:
I guess Shinya's case answers the whole 'can you kill an Ajin by beheading them?' question, and seems like answer's no, since he seems to remember everything and acts like he did before (with the added paranoia of course).

Also, commanding multiple black ghosts that are visible? Very different to other Ajins.

I dunno man, this seems like a clear example of Ship of Theseus paradox. If your head was cut off and left to rot only for your body to regenerate an exact replica of your head, would you still be, you?

Or would you be the one who died with that severed head?
May 30, 2016 10:37 PM
May 2016
Shinya's regenerating hand is totally gruesome, I like it. I see resemblance him with Satou, he also plays retro game. Over all this an awesome ova.
May 30, 2016 11:40 PM

Apr 2014
for an OVA, This was enjoyable.
May 31, 2016 12:19 AM

Dec 2013
That helmet didn't help him much lol
May 31, 2016 2:23 AM

Jun 2012
same tone as the main series, good one
May 31, 2016 3:16 AM

Oct 2015
Really liked this OVA
May 31, 2016 3:37 AM

May 2009
His head is beheaded but he still has his personality and memories, how can that be or Satou is wrong about that ?

I hope he'll appear in the manga to help Kei.
May 31, 2016 5:37 AM

Mar 2015
i guess wearing a helmet does protect your head, but not your neck. even though i wasn't a big fan of the series, that ova was pretty good, it actually got me hyped for season 2. btw, any idea about how he stayed alive after being beheaded? if my memory serves me right, satou said that if the head was too far away from the body, the ajin would just die, not regenerate a new one
May 31, 2016 5:41 AM

Mar 2015
Stark700 said:
Those agents really underestimated what they were facing with.

i think at this point, they had no idea about what the ajin are or anything about their capabilities other than basic info they got from other captured ajin. they also might not have been given any details about IBM as they were surprised by seeing them
May 31, 2016 10:19 AM

Jan 2016
The boner is your strongest foe, fight it.
This is a very informative ova presuming the questions it anwsers is canon supported. Both Kei and nudude (and cratemen) seem to be very unique case of ajin. Sato will need to pick up his game of badassery to beat these busted beasts.
Most memorable part, when the trash that died called them experimental animals (or something) and then claimed they are just NORMAL HUMANS....

May 31, 2016 12:24 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
My two favorite parts...
1. The head in the helmet......nice bit of shock value
2. The bad man who said "I did it.....this discovery is a huge achievement"........how well did that work out for you?? LOL
May 31, 2016 1:10 PM
Aug 2012
Simply a great OVA, I'm not one for to much violence but Ajin just gets me really hyped when action takes place, like within the scene of the investigators, the highlight for me was the revealing of his head within the helmet. Poor guy, his friend getting killed off in such short time was kinda expected, but what was with the small black ghost repeating what he had to say? Hmm.
May 31, 2016 8:39 PM

May 2015
Inugirlz said:
I'm a bit confused is Yusuke not also an Ajin? A little black smoke came out of him plus his voice repeating his last words like the IBM normally does. I want him to be cause it sucks he died. He was a real bro.
so am i. i wonder if he transferred his ibm powers to shinya or some crap. because yuusuke is an ajin. and ajins dont die
May 31, 2016 11:01 PM

Oct 2011
OMG This was so good !!!!

Was hoping Yuusuke be alive T_____T. OMG what if this happens to Kai T_____T

I hope Shinya meets up with Kei and Nakano OMG <33
Jun 1, 2016 5:09 AM

Dec 2015
Nice little stand-alone prologue, partially useless but it still shows an intriguing manifestation of the Ajin "IBM" and answers to the old man's threat to the hero in the main story.

3/5

Does someone know if there is more to adapt from this "chapter 0" and what will be in the next OAV if it's not the case?
Jun 1, 2016 11:16 AM

Jul 2015
This was pretty awesome. Felt right for an OVA. Hopefully Shinya shows up in s2
Jun 2, 2016 8:15 AM

Oct 2013
I liked this episode. It's a nice little addition to the series and gives some cool backstory. A little gruesome, especially him loosing his head. Looks like we now know the answer to Satou's question lmao.

4/5

fideldesu said:
His head is beheaded but he still has his personality and memories, how can that be or Satou is wrong about that ?

The way he asked that question implied that he didn't know the answer.Then again, he could know, idk. I think he just said it to intimidate Kei.

White_Hawk2099 said:
Inugirlz said:
so am i. i wonder if he transferred his ibm powers to shinya or some crap. because yuusuke is an ajin. and ajins dont die

This was also so confusing! Is Yuusuke in the manga? If so, I'd love to see them have some kind of reunion.
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
Jun 2, 2016 2:55 PM

Aug 2012
i'm having a hard time finding this one. I found a 39MB version with english subs and that's it. I tried to watch but the first frames were so awful i closed it.

you guys found a high quality version ?
Jun 4, 2016 1:44 PM

Oct 2015
I don't really expect much from OVAs because most of them are pretty irrelevant and fanservicey but Ajin's is just great! I could also be a bit biased here because I love Ajin so much; one of my fave series to date. That said, this OVA is every bit chilling as the main series. Gave me the same feels, same urgency I felt when Kei had to escape or when he's so close to being found out. I was on the edge of my seat while watching this, especially during Shinya's accident scene (was expecting someone to pop out and discover he's ajin) or when Yuusuke (RIP good friend) visited his apartment. The sounds, the action scenes; all good. One of the main reasons I love Ajin is the realistic portrayal of humans. Shinya here is relatable. His personality is that of an actual human and that's why it's not hard to sympathize with him. I don't remember his name in the main series and since I haven't read the manga, I don't know his fate. I hope he's still alive tho.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2016 8:46 AM

Nov 2015
Really interesting OVA, Yusuke's such a good friend, he took the bullet to save his friend.

Jun 10, 2016 5:53 AM

Jan 2013
Doomdoctor said:
JPthugnificent said:

I dunno man, this seems like a clear example of Ship of Theseus paradox. If your head was cut off and left to rot only for your body to regenerate an exact replica of your head, would you still be, you?

I thought this exact same thing.

I think the thought freaked Shinya out too.
Jun 12, 2016 12:59 PM

Aug 2012
still waiting for a watchable version.

hope someone else subs this. *sigh*
Jun 12, 2016 1:05 PM

May 2014
I'm slightly disappointed they didn't include this marvelous scene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I loved this side story.The scene where he sees his own head gave me creeps.I wonder what happened with the head afterwards.
Jun 14, 2016 2:04 AM

Jul 2007
Modo942000 said:
i guess wearing a helmet does protect your head, but not your neck. even though i wasn't a big fan of the series, that ova was pretty good, it actually got me hyped for season 2. btw, any idea about how he stayed alive after being beheaded? if my memory serves me right, satou said that if the head was too far away from the body, the ajin would just die, not regenerate a new one

I just watched the episode where he explained this. Satou said if the head was too far away (meaning, it couldn't reattach itself I guess), the body would regenerate a new one. I thought he said the new head would be a blank though? Maybe I just jumped to conclusions. He at least seemed very sure that Kei would not be himself anymore. However, the Shinya incident is clearly to the contrary. Then again, it begs the question: what makes you YOU?

In a later episode of S1, another Ajin explains that his weak leg wasn't fixed when he regenerated so I'm guessing that means their entire physical makeup is stored somehow (in their IBMs?), and so that's why even a head can be an exact replica, memories, mind, and all... although it's highly unlikely an exact replica could be produced, given the complexity of the brain. I googled the question of replicating a human brain, and the explanation of what makes a mind is mind-boggling in itself. It seems incredibly farfetched even for an anime/manga; I doubt the original author thought this one through enough.

I wonder if it turns out that Shinya's mind breaks down due to an imperfect replication, or it's discovered he's lacking some fundamental parts of his mind and memories.

Hm. I'm also curious to know if Satou actually speaks from personal experience, when explaining what happens to an Ajin when his head is severed from his body...
<---made of awesome!
Jun 15, 2016 4:21 PM

Mar 2015
Susan said:
Modo942000 said:

I just watched the episode where he explained this. Satou said if the head was too far away (meaning, it couldn't reattach itself I guess), the body would regenerate a new one. I thought he said the new head would be a blank though? Maybe I just jumped to conclusions. He at least seemed very sure that Kei would not be himself anymore. However, the Shinya incident is clearly to the contrary. Then again, it begs the question: what makes you YOU?

In a later episode of S1, another Ajin explains that his weak leg wasn't fixed when he regenerated so I'm guessing that means their entire physical makeup is stored somehow (in their IBMs?), and so that's why even a head can be an exact replica, memories, mind, and all... although it's highly unlikely an exact replica could be produced, given the complexity of the brain. I googled the question of replicating a human brain, and the explanation of what makes a mind is mind-boggling in itself. It seems incredibly farfetched even for an anime/manga; I doubt the original author thought this one through enough.

I wonder if it turns out that Shinya's mind breaks down due to an imperfect replication, or it's discovered he's lacking some fundamental parts of his mind and memories.

Hm. I'm also curious to know if Satou actually speaks from personal experience, when explaining what happens to an Ajin when his head is severed from his body...

i watched film theory's video about deadpool after watching the ova by a few days which makes the memories thing: 1- they are stored in the IBMs
2- as you've said, the author probably didn't think it through.

you made me curious about that personal experience idea too
Jun 23, 2016 2:56 AM

May 2015
that helmet part was hell,...
Jul 14, 2016 7:51 AM
Apr 2014
If you didn't notice this kid is Japan's 01 Ajin, Tanaka is 02 and Kei is 03.
They added some filler there at the beginning, but I guess the adapted chapter is way too short and they needed something more to lead up to his death
He has yet to physically appear in the manga but he's mentionned and I doubt this kid will be irrelevant to the main story, he's a special Ajin, maybe he's next after Satou and his terrorist Ajin friends are somehow defeated.
Jul 14, 2016 2:37 PM

Dec 2015
fideldesu said:

I have a theory that if an Ajin's head is removed the new head will gain the same memories/feelings/consciousness like the original. Almost like the Ajin gets a Twin. Anything that happens to the new head the original won't experience though, and the original head should die soon after without the heart and organs etc. kinda weird, like alternate universes. But, that is just a thought.
Jul 27, 2016 11:56 AM

Sep 2013
I enjoyed this OVA, with a nice touch of feels.

His friend was a true bro!

Aug 1, 2016 2:52 AM

Oct 2007
Doomdoctor said:
JPthugnificent said:

Your cells and a lot of the molecules in your body are swapped during your life. Are you the same person for as long as you live?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2015
Damn, that was cruel. RIP Yuusuke.... That was a good OVA.

Aug 31, 2016 5:41 AM

Jan 2012
MendoxeD said:
I'm slightly disappointed they didn't include this marvelous scene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I loved this side story.The scene where he sees his own head gave me creeps.I wonder what happened with the head afterwards.

lol i am happy that they didn't show this scene.

Sep 8, 2016 4:20 PM

Mar 2010
I definitely see it as though Shinya died, and the perspective we see is another "him" waking up. Similar concept goes over with clones; the clone is indistinguishable from the real thing, yet they aren't. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter since we aren't dealing with clones -- in regard to what Satou said, I think it was just scare tactics that he thought of; I'm sure they have similar media so they would draw similar conclusions.
ValkerionSep 8, 2016 4:29 PM
Sep 18, 2016 3:52 AM

Jul 2007
I was just thinking back on this, with S2 almost upon us, and I wonder if the head can regenerate a new body, albeit much more slowly...
<---made of awesome!
Sep 27, 2016 3:40 AM

Jun 2016
Wasn't that supposed to be in the Ajin season 1?
Oct 5, 2016 1:33 AM

Dec 2012
It really got me hyped to watch the second Season, I missed this opening.
Very good OVA that explained us that you can lose your head and stay the same. Interesting.
Yusuke was a great friend, but I still hope that he is an Ajin.
SakaitsuOct 5, 2016 1:46 AM
Dec 17, 2016 8:05 PM

Sep 2015
I hope this guy turns up in the main series
Dec 27, 2016 10:36 AM

Feb 2013
He forgot his head,lol, that means he actually died, but I didn't see his personality to change, I hope we see him again.
Jan 7, 2017 1:59 AM

Mar 2013
Pretty informative OVA.

Yusuke was a bro. Just like Kai.

But is Shinya now is the original Shinya?
Apr 29, 2017 10:21 AM
Oct 2007
It's been a while since season 2 ended and I just started watching the OVA. Wow I didn't expect the OVA to be this good. As good as the main series in my personal opinion. Looking forward to the next 2 episodes!
Jul 5, 2017 1:24 AM

Mar 2010
These characters are too good , i mean yuusuke and shinya , i really like it if theres more development to these characters , but from what i quick-search just now , it seems this is the only part where nakamura shinya is 'exist' in this ajin universe. :(

some people said he was mentioned in the anime , but from what i recalled i nebver heard any shinya's name mentioned when i was watching the season 1 and season 2.
Jul 21, 2017 1:55 AM
Dec 2012
So this was "the incident with Nakamura Shinya" Tosaki was talking about.
Dec 28, 2017 6:06 PM

Jan 2017
Decent.
Changing some camera angels from the manga perspective. Still consistent.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 1, 2018 6:44 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I really want to know more about Nakamura Shinya! AND BOY was his head inside the helmet creepy lol
張大です for 張大勇督察
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ajin OVA Episode 2 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Oct 20, 2016

32 by Eoussama »»
Jan 29, 2023 4:33 PM

» Where to watch?

Markk_146 - Jun 10, 2021

1 by ProxyLain »»
Jun 10, 2021 11:37 AM

» Why suddenly on 2 eps?

KanonDE - Feb 22, 2019

2 by KanonDE »»
Feb 22, 2019 7:30 AM

» What is the name of the song in Episode 2?

iamKetranLang - Jan 2, 2018

0 by iamKetranLang »»
Jan 2, 2018 12:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.