Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 28, 2016 3:13 PM

Oct 2014
If you do, anyways.

Has anyone of you a way to judge voice acting? I'm curious for the reasons any of you would say "this is good/bad/mediocre/outstanding VA".

Thanks for sharing.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2016 3:20 PM

Jan 2012
If their voices doesn't fit the character then it's bad otherwise it's good .

May 28, 2016 3:21 PM

Feb 2013
how fappable it sounds
cant think of any other reason

May 2016
It helps to be able to speak Japanese, because a lot of times, what people think is good voice acting in the Japanese version of a series is just embarrassingly hokey and stilted beyond belief. And there's so much typecasting going on that it's ridiculous--if I hear Kana Hanazawa play another demure, shy character who goes "eehhhh?" every 5 seconds ever again, it'll be too soon.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 2015
i judge voice acting on how cute the girls sound
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 2015
i simply don't because i am not native japanese and don't know how it should voiced in first place... i simply judge them if they are fit or not with the scane...

some of them really outstandingly bad thou until i am pretty sure it wrong... like this
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 28, 2016 3:22 PM

Oct 2013
Flexibility - basically how well suited the voice is for the current situation, also lip synchronization i font think animator adjust the frames just to sync it properly so it kinda falls down on the seiyuu if its not properly done
May 28, 2016 3:23 PM

Mar 2014
I do it the way Shia LaBeouf does it

I JUST

DO IT
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 28, 2016 3:32 PM

Aug 2014
It's good if it feels like they are the character themself. Bonus point if they can make any emotional/crying scene feel extremely real.
May 28, 2016 3:39 PM
May 28, 2016 3:39 PM

Jun 2015
Basically if it fits the character and/or is well-performed. Two of the most essential principles.

But of course, what must come with good voice acting is a decent and well-made script. The effort put in to the voices will mean next to nothing if paired with a sloppy script.

(Talking about dubs of course)
May 28, 2016 3:46 PM

Feb 2014
I don't really judge Japanese VA unless it clearly sounds bad, since I can't understand Japanese.. I just go by if the voice fits the character. An example being at the end of FMA, that voice didn't fit that character at all lol.
May 28, 2016 3:51 PM

Sep 2015
If they can make me feel what the character they're voicing is feeling. If the character is sad, does it make me feel sad too... if angry, does the anger come across like a anger (not any other feeling). But of course, like someone else has said, well-made script also plays a part here, also good directing. Voice actors don't work alone you know...
May 28, 2016 5:33 PM

Dec 2012
Acting ability and whether or not it's convincing.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

May 28, 2016 7:11 PM

Apr 2015
It's real hard to do if you don't speak Japanese.
May 28, 2016 8:04 PM

Jul 2014
It's real easy to tell when it's stellar, like the first 2 episodes of Kokoro Connect where the characters are switching bodies, and all the voice actors still managed to bring out the correct personality perfectly to where you could tell who it was without being told. That's still the best voice acting I've seen in anime.

As for what I'm looking for; normality. Just down to earth voice acting that sounds natural, without any posing.
May 28, 2016 8:28 PM

Jul 2015
I'm not too picky, but plz, for the love of Jesus, don't make a grown adult play the voice of a child.
May 28, 2016 8:35 PM

May 2016
If the voice gives me a boner... then it is 10/10 good voice acting.
May 28, 2016 8:48 PM

Mar 2016
I don't really care as long it doesn't sound weird
May 28, 2016 8:53 PM

Nov 2014
2 things:

- Does the voice convey the character's emotion in a given situation? If yes then it's good,
- Is the voice fuckannoying? If yes then it's bad.
- Is the character voiced by either Kana Hana, Kamiya Hiroshi or Sawashiro Miyuki? If yes 10/10
May 28, 2016 8:57 PM

Jul 2014
Whether or not they're Megumi Ogata.
May 28, 2016 9:03 PM

May 2016
You mean seiyuu? Well.. it never slipped through my mind =w=
But if the voice match the action and manage to make me feel what they feel i think thats already awesome lol
May 28, 2016 9:16 PM
Nov 2014
Nice topic,I feel that if it fits the character than its genrally good
May 28, 2016 9:25 PM

Sep 2014
If it's Saori Hayami or Nao Touyama, I automatically give it an 11/10. The rest, I could care less, with a few exceptions depending on their roles.
May 28, 2016 9:36 PM

Sep 2015
I usually don't find much bad actors and actresses, maybe because of the language barrier or I so happened to stumble upon pretty good actors/actresses
May 28, 2016 10:12 PM
Oct 2014
First, annoying voice acting is bad voice acting. If it grates on my nerves, it's bad. (There can be rare exceptions, when a character's voice is supposed to be annoying. But that should be used sparingly)

Second, how well does it fit my view of the character? Admittedly, the character's voice is part of what defines them, so you can't truly separate their voice as a distinct variable. But if a character's voice tends to detract from their personality rather than reinforce it, it's bad.

But to be honest, even though I say that, most of the time I don't really think about it. If the voice acting doesn't draw attention to itself, I'm happy.
May 28, 2016 10:19 PM

May 2016
Pretty simple for me. I close my eyes, and if I have a vivid image of the story and characters, then the voice acting must be good. Of course, if any voices are stupid or annoying, that's automatically bad (unless it's intended, but as a main character, nonono!)
May 28, 2016 10:37 PM

Nov 2015
As long as it's not annoying as fuck I'm okay with it..
romagia said:
how fappable it sounds
So like, do you judge male characters too or what?
May 28, 2016 10:46 PM

May 2015
Kuma said:
i simply don't because i am not native japanese and don't know how it should voiced in first place... i simply judge them if they are fit or not with the scane...

some of them really outstandingly bad thou until i am pretty sure it wrong... like this
she sound like if the Japanese tried to dub like Spy Kids or something like how Disney dubs Ghibli movies
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 28, 2016 10:53 PM

Feb 2013
Gesu- said:
As long as it's not annoying as fuck I'm okay with it..
romagia said:
how fappable it sounds
So like, do you judge male characters too or what?
sometimes you really cant tell (^:
male voices are inherently less fappable obv
May 28, 2016 11:36 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not really that picky with voice actors to be honest. Can't remember a time where I complained about one.
May 28, 2016 11:46 PM

Feb 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
It's real easy to tell when it's stellar, like the first 2 episodes of Kokoro Connect where the characters are switching bodies, and all the voice actors still managed to bring out the correct personality perfectly to where you could tell who it was without being told. That's still the best voice acting I've seen in anime.

As for what I'm looking for; normality. Just down to earth voice acting that sounds natural, without any posing.

Ironically, wasn't Kokoro Connect the show that was boycotted because of a scandal involving its voice actors?

I rarely notice whether voice acting is good or not, mostly because I don't speak Japanese well enough to tell. When I can tell, it usually turns out to be someone's first role or something.

One of my pet peeves is all of these male characters being voiced by woman, or men with very high pitched, breathy voices. Automatically makes the character like 100% less attractive to me.
May 29, 2016 12:36 AM

May 2015
The sensory part - is it pleasant to the ear? Hyperdimension Neptunia's voices were too high-pitched. They felt bad to the ear
The aesthetic part - how does the voice contributes to character development? How much of it informs me about the character?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 29, 2016 12:41 AM

May 2009
I don't really care since most seiyuus do a good job anyway. Those high pitched 'cutesy' voices however may not be pleasant to my ears but it doesn't mean it's bad--that's just preference. Can't deny it's cringe worthy though.

It'll be a bonus if the VA happen to be Yamadera Kouichi, Ishida Akira, Tomokazu Seki, Yamaguchi Kappei, Park Romi, Ogata Megumi, Hayashibara Megumi and Sawashiro Miyuki.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

May 29, 2016 12:45 AM

Apr 2014
if the character is voiced by either jun fukuyama or kazuya nakai its automatically a 10/10
May 29, 2016 12:45 AM

Mar 2015
1. If the voice fits the character in general

2. How good they are at portraying various emotions

For example:

IMO Gintama has the best voice acting in the whole of anime.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 29, 2016 12:47 AM

Dec 2013
I don't judge it. As long it sounds nice with the character, I will love it. So far I loved all the voice actors in the Anime I watch.
May 29, 2016 12:53 AM

Mar 2016
When it comes to anime, I'm largely tone deaf. I rarely have any compliments for ''awesome'' soundtracks because I usually don't even remember them. So naturally VA usually makes little sense to me. My focus is mostly on reading the subtitles (except in a few anime).

Kuma said:

I would watch that and not realize any thing's wrong until someone told me.
May 29, 2016 1:02 AM

Sep 2015
I really only judge voice actors on more emotional shows since the ability to portray emotions through their voice can be a very powerful asset and it may be what makes or breaks a series or movie. Did their performance draw me in as a viewer or made me sympathize with their character at all? Did they enhance the character in any way?

I find that in your typical and generic shows the voice acting isn't as important and can be shrugged off most of the time. To be honest I haven't run into any "bad" voice acting, everyone seems to be at the very least decent and I just praise the notable stellar performances.

Dougou-sensei from Tamayura is the only comedic character that I believe benefitted a lot from his voice actor. The character is very goofy and energetic and whoever did the voice acting really took the role as his own. It felt right and it felt good. It made me enjoy the character's presence even more and when I look back I wouldn't want anyone else to voice that character.
May 29, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2014
AllenVonStein said:
If their voices doesn't fit the character then it's bad
This principle can be misleading.

Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 29, 2016 6:24 AM

Jul 2014
Kezone said:
Red_Tuesday said:

Ironically, wasn't Kokoro Connect the show that was boycotted because of a scandal involving its voice actors?

Not the voice actors, their producers. They "pranked" auditionees or something, pretty unprofessional. The voice actors had nothing to do with it, well except rejected ones being the victims
May 29, 2016 7:49 AM

May 2014
KoreaWS said:
If you do, anyways.

Has anyone of you a way to judge voice acting? I'm curious for the reasons any of you would say "this is good/bad/mediocre/outstanding VA".

Thanks for sharing.

1) Am I pissed off? No? Good enough.
2) Do the voices match the characters? Yes? Good enough.
3) Is there a voice I haven't heard before? Yes? OMG BEST ANIME EVER!

It really comes down to how generic the series seems for me to give it a pass or not, if its both generic and the voice acting is meh, then Ill drop it.
There’s no such thing as miracles, only the inevitable, the accidental
and the things we do.
May 29, 2016 9:00 AM

Mar 2016
If they sound convincing enough to fit the role but if the person doesn't sound like they fit the role I'd still prefer it over VAs who don't sound enthusiastic enough like Bossun's Sister in SKET Dance, the Teacher's sister in Denpa Kyoushi or the female MC in Soul Eater.
May 29, 2016 9:32 AM
Dec 2015
Only judge on dubbed shows or movies since native english speaker. Most of the time i dont think dub actors do that great a job. Japanese only really gets noticeable on poor delivery or matching the shows emotion. Also hate when the characters should have accents or be foreigners and of course the japanese just fail entirely with that
May 29, 2016 9:34 AM

Jul 2013
I don't consider myself worthy enough to judge a Japanese voice actor, as I'm a foreigner, but I still do that anyway.

For me, if the voice actor manages to transmit me the feelings he/she is trying to cause in the audience, then I will consider it good. By example, I don't think I would have feel that much sadness in the Angel Beats ending without the performance of Hiroshi Kamiya at the end or I don't think I would have liked some of my favorites characters that much if wasn't for the voice actors under them.
Also, in a comedy, if their performance make me laugh, then I will consider them good.

I usually don't have many problems with seiyuus, but when it's related to dubs, things tend to varie a lot (speaking about Spanish dubs, since I have watched very few English dubs to judge them properly).
May 29, 2016 9:38 AM
May 2015
I don't judge voice acting, except when celebrities are concerned.

Some do it awesomely (Mark Hamill, James Earl Jones) and some are not very good at it since they're better emoting on screen.
May 29, 2016 9:43 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
It's hard to judge the voice acting especially since i'm nowhere close to being fluent in the language to actually properly critique it. but there are those seiyuu's whose voices are so good like milky butter that it's instantly amazing.
like Hiroshi, Sakurai and Hana Kana for instance. just perfection

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
May 29, 2016 9:51 AM

Mar 2016
If I can close my eyes and am still able to recognize which character is speaking, I would say that's good voice acting. I really find myself unable to judge it beyond that.
May 29, 2016 9:59 AM

Jun 2012
While I don't speak Japanese, I feel quite confident that I can pick up on emotions in a voice fairly well. It seems strange to me to assume that if one does not speak Japanese, it's impossible to assess the quality of the acting.
There are all sorts of other dimensions to a voice, too. For example, I always notice when a child character is voiced by an actual child (which obv. sounds more right, though the acting can be worse), but I do also notice very varying levels of capacity to imitate that quality among adult actors.
Similar situations arise when the character is an old person, is in pain, is angry, sounds scornful, is sleepy, tries to be intimidating and so on.
I mean, of course I won't pick up on the finest minutiae of expression in a language I don't speak (not to mention a culture that is foreign), but I will pick up quite a bit of it most of the time.
Either way, there is so much more than just dramatic acting going on that it's quite possible to make some sort of assessment based solely on other factors.
So, I value realism/plausibility, but (obviously) I also like voices that are pleasant or just funny.
Funny voices examples: Uesaka Sumire as Dekomori Sanae, Hisakawa Aya as Kero-chan
Pleasant voice example: Koyasu Takehito in several roles

Another dimension I think is important is the dynamics between characters. For example, sometimes a bunch of characters all have the same macho-voice - now that might be less irritating for a native Japanese person who immediately picks up on something like "aha, that guy has some Osaka thing going on in his accent, while this other one doesn't" while we might misconstrue that as minor differences in expression, but I still think extremely similar voice types is a no-no unless it has some good reason (could be for comedic effect). It's a question of aesthetics.
AburadakoMay 29, 2016 10:07 AM
May 29, 2016 10:58 AM

Feb 2016
its good if it fits the character in terms of expressions and behavior, otherwise its just bad.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Most underrated anime you have seen?

HotHamlet - May 13

49 by Lucifrost »»
5 seconds ago

» Do you generate your own Anime Wallpapers with AI?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

31 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Isekai Sub-Genres Have Become Genres.

Gashadokur0 - 2 minutes ago

0 by Gashadokur0 »»
2 minutes ago

» What do you think about fetishes in anime?

Anjuro - 3 hours ago

27 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - May 24

27 by niknasr »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.