Forum Settings
Forums

Why is hetero shipping fanart and fanfic not as common as homo shipping?

New
May 26, 2016 10:15 AM

Sep 2015
There seems to be a lot more homo shipping fanart and fanfic, and I find that kind of weird since I don't believe that more people support homo ships compared to hetero ones.
I hate nice girls.
If they so much as say hello, it stays on my mind.
If they return texts, my heart races.
The day one calls me, I know I'll look at my call history and grin.
But that's just them being nice.
People who are nice to me are also nice to everyone else.
I almost end up forgetting that.
If the truth is cruel , then lies must be kind.
That's why kindness is a lie.
I gave up on always expecting it,
always mistaking it,
and even hoping for it.
Someone who's' worked so hard at being alone doesn't fall for the
same trick twice.
I'm a veteran at this.
I’m the best when it comes to losing.
That's why I'll always hate nice girls.
May 26, 2016 10:18 AM

Nov 2015
Don't underestimate the power of the fujoshi.
Gesu-May 26, 2016 10:51 AM
May 26, 2016 10:20 AM

Feb 2013
for fan art at least, i swear it's totally not true
May 26, 2016 10:22 AM

Oct 2015
Maybe because it's more exciting to imagine things ( like homo stuff) that won't happen in the original source material... for some reason...

Also Fujoshis are usually good artists... World is unfair

May 26, 2016 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
Really? I think it's the other way around for most anime.
But, for example, you can't take male-dominated shows like Haikyuu ( which has a very large yaoi-loving female audience ) and expect it to have lots of straight ship fanart. Because there's no straight shipping material.
May 26, 2016 10:27 AM
Jan 2013
Arrieta said:
and I find that kind of weird since I don't believe that more people support homo ships compared to hetero ones.
Oh, they do
They dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
gone bai bai
May 26, 2016 10:27 AM

Apr 2014
because fujoshi will always prefer a shitty gay relationship before a good hetero one.
*looks at the bnha fandom*
May 26, 2016 10:35 AM

Nov 2015
kirisakitrash said:
because fujoshi will always prefer a shitty gay relationship before a good hetero one.

What's wrong with wanting two things of what you like instead of one?
Doesn't the same go for guys and yuri?
May 26, 2016 10:35 AM

Jul 2013
Moogle-Magic said:
But, for example, you can't take male-dominated shows like Haikyuu ( which has a very large yaoi-loving female audience ) and expect it to have lots of straight ship fanart. Because there's no straight shipping material.
Exactly this. What hetero ship would you find in non-harem series who are predominated by male/female? You really think series like Madoka can have hetero couples?
May 26, 2016 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
Shallamayne said:
kirisakitrash said:

Just like how non fujoshis will always prefer a shitty hetero relationship over a good homo one?

^ It's all about personal taste. Some people are too into yaoi/yuri to notice a good straight ship. The same applies to the others, some people are too into straight ships ( no necessarily homophobic, but that can be a factor, too ) to notice a good homo one. I've only met the latter, though.
May 26, 2016 10:49 AM
Apr 2015
mouvite said:
I dont know, if theres a tension between the characters im gonna ship it, nevermind if its homo or straight. But I have more homo ships, I find them much more interesting.
Man the amount of girls I'd ship together if there was an all female cast sports anime. <3
May 26, 2016 10:50 AM

Dec 2012
Because fan art has more female artist/followers. And a lot of them like gay ships.

Frankly it's annoying when trying to browse fan art of some series and find that 90% is gay fan art like KHR, Hunter x Hunter, Haikyuu, etc

Shallamayne said:
kirisakitrash said:

Just like how non fujoshis will always prefer a shitty hetero relationship over a good homo one?

How can it be a good relationship one when it's entirely made up?
May 26, 2016 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
Because gay ships are more interesting than straight ones. And another reason is that drawing ships that aren't canon is more common.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2016 10:58 AM

Apr 2014
Shallamayne said:
kirisakitrash said:

you just summed up the star wars fandom my friend.

on-topic, if youre watching a sports anime you really cant expect there to be a *canon* hetero relationship as most of them revolve around men. also there's the whole "if i ship gays i'm supporting the lgbt!" thing which is kind of wrong.
May 26, 2016 11:01 AM
Apr 2015
tsudecimo said:
Because fan art has more female artist/followers. And a lot of them like gay ships.

Frankly it's annoying when trying to browse fan art of some series and find that 90% is gay fan art like KHR, Hunter x Hunter, Haikyuu, etc

Shallamayne said:

How can it be a good relationship one when it's entirely made up?
Most show creators are aware of fangirls and purposely include ('tease') gay moments between characters, so it's definitely not entirely made up. But it is a pretty sore move that they then turn around and not make them actually gay and claim it was all in the fans' head; or when they keep it ambiguous as fuck. That stuff gives me daily headaches, hah.
May 26, 2016 12:06 PM

Sep 2015
Mkim said:
Arrieta said:
and I find that kind of weird since I don't believe that more people support homo ships compared to hetero ones.
Oh, they do

Well by more support I mean that if you post the question "what's your favorite couple from an anime" the answer is most likely a hetero couple. If you make a survey about favorite couples to regular anime fans you're most likely going to find a lot more hetero rather than homo.
I hate nice girls.
If they so much as say hello, it stays on my mind.
If they return texts, my heart races.
The day one calls me, I know I'll look at my call history and grin.
But that's just them being nice.
People who are nice to me are also nice to everyone else.
I almost end up forgetting that.
If the truth is cruel , then lies must be kind.
That's why kindness is a lie.
I gave up on always expecting it,
always mistaking it,
and even hoping for it.
Someone who's' worked so hard at being alone doesn't fall for the
same trick twice.
I'm a veteran at this.
I’m the best when it comes to losing.
That's why I'll always hate nice girls.
May 26, 2016 12:13 PM
Jan 2013
Arrieta said:
Mkim said:
Oh, they do

Well by more support I mean that if you post the question "what's your favorite couple from an anime" the answer is most likely a hetero couple. If you make a survey about favorite couples to regular anime fans you're most likely going to find a lot more hetero rather than homo.
1- "what's your favorite couple from an anime" will lead to canon answers, which are not mainly homosexual relationships
2- "Regular" anime fans are not awoken to the tru love. Give em some more time and bam, they be just lookin at dat gaaaayyyyy
gone bai bai
May 26, 2016 12:16 PM

Nov 2008
Yuri is more appealing to depict in portrayals of romance in fanart.

May 26, 2016 12:17 PM

Mar 2016
Cause disgusting SJWs, burn! BURN!
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
May 26, 2016 12:25 PM

Oct 2014
Most anime contain single gender main casts and since people naturally want to ship the main characters together this tends to involve shipping guy x guy or girl x girl. Anime with mixed casts tend to already have canon couples so it's no longer "shipping" in that case. Oreki x Chitanda and Kyon x Haruhi are some of the rare cute non-canon hetero couples.
May 26, 2016 12:26 PM

Dec 2015
This is probably something you should have noticed even as a kid. Girls like to sit around and dream about fictional relationships, and girls like it when cute guys make out, and then they draw said cute guys making out, it's just what they do.
May 26, 2016 12:29 PM

Feb 2013
Not sure if this is true. Hetero fans seem loudest to me, but maybe that's because people don't pay as much mind when hetero ships are discussed. Is there a single show (that has characters of both genders) without a "best girl" or "best pairing" thread that isn't 95% hetero ships? Same for 4chan and reddit. The only place where gay ships are the more visible is tumblr, and that's tumblr...
May 26, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2012
Kind of in the same vein, but I notice that several yuri/yaoi fans get so mad if they see hetero fanart of homo characters. All it takes is Haruka from Sakura Trick kissing one boy to make them petition the site and score the pic a -499.
May 26, 2016 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
Because there's more heteros in the world overall
You haven't had the displeasure of meeting tumblr's fujos it sounds like lmao
they'll ship anything that has a dick in a predominantly male cast with anything else that has a dick
May 26, 2016 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
Hetero ships go into the realm of doujin hentai.

Since people know they're canon, they instead imagine what happens "next".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Now excuse me while I go browse some doujins.
May 26, 2016 8:05 PM

Jan 2013
I swear I've seen more straight-shipping fanart than yaoi or yuri.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
May 26, 2016 8:51 PM

Jun 2015
Because most anime have hetero canon ships and we already get a shit ton of official art from them whereas most homo ships don't get any official art (homo ships, albeit non-canon 90% of the time, that do get their own official art are fucking lucky) so people draw fanart to make up for it.

Also I see a shit ton of fan art depicting straight couples as well. Though I guess some people just want to focus on the fact that there's a shit ton of homo fan art without realizing that there's an equal amount of hetero fanart too.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is the term “weeb” offensive?

kusairo - Yesterday

46 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 3 )

rohan121 - May 9

112 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Why was Magic Knight Rayearth overshadowed by Cardcaptor Sakura in terms of popularity?

funtime43_tr - 4 hours ago

8 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime sequels that fell off

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

10 by FanofAction »»
22 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

124 by mik0308 »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.