Forum Settings
Forums

How do you start a series? (Anime or Manga?)

New
May 18, 2016 2:20 PM

Jul 2015
Hey guys!

Not sure if this has been discussed before, so forgive me if it has, but I'm curious about how I should start a series.

For me, I'm planning on starting the Attack on Titan series (finally) and I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I read the manga first? Do I watch the anime first? I've been postponing this anime for a long time now just because of how 'hyped' it was, and I always thought it was overrated but that's a whole different story.

Just a few questions, how do you start a series?
• Do you read the manga or anime first? Or only one or the other?
• Do you watch the anime, then pick up where the anime left off in the manga? Or just completely ignore one of them?
• Is it pointless to both watch an anime and read the manga, since you already know what's going to happen?

Sorry for the spam of questions, but I'm really stumbled on what to do, so I just want to know what you guys do.
GemMay 18, 2016 2:23 PM

caught in the wonder
May 18, 2016 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
I usually start with the first episode.
May 18, 2016 2:26 PM

Jul 2015
normally:

watch an anime to the end----(if it was good)---->either start manga where the anime ended or form the beginning (depends)---->catch up with the manga---->watch the next seasons of the anime when(if) they come out
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 18, 2016 2:30 PM

Dec 2015
I don't enjoy manga as much as I do with anime so I would start the anime. And that's it. If second season is aired I wait till it's finished and enjoy the second part =)
I have lots of friends saying that manga is way better than anime and I'm not going to say it's false cuz I don't read manga... But well if you enjoy both, I would go for manga since it's supposed to be better than the anime but if you are like me, just go for anime. It's just a personal view but anime is clearer than manga, although many other people say it's just the opposite.
SNK is really good btw, enjoy ~
AetherRikkuMay 18, 2016 2:34 PM

May 18, 2016 2:35 PM

Aug 2015
Nicholaevich said:
I usually start with the first episode.

lol this one..

I usually ask someone to provide me a random # from my PTW list and based on that I pick my next anime.. I don't have preference.. I just don't like watching ongoing series and I don't like reading manga before watching the anime.. I usually read it after the anime has ended..
May 18, 2016 2:40 PM

Oct 2014
If I want to watch the anime I watch the anime. If the anime is really good but other people tell me to read the manga then I may read the manga. "Where it left off" isn't usually an option for me because I usually tend to read the manga either in place of a rewatch or because people said the manga was better. I've seen Berserk and wouldn't start the manga where the anime left off but would instead start at the beginning. They're two different versions of the same story so if you've only seen one version it might not fully prepare you for part of the other version as the events may be out of order or sometimes are completely different.
May 18, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2014
Striktlyy said:

• Do you watch the anime, then pick up where the anime left off in the manga? Or just completely ignore one of them?
• Is it pointless to both watch an anime and read the manga, since you already know what's going to happen?

-Very carefully
-I only watch the anime usually
-Unless I REALLY care about the story I never really pick up the story again. I have a busy schedule and with my spare time I like to spend on anime, but if the anime doesn't look like it'll get a sequel and the manga has ended I'll definitely pick it up.
-Nah. I find it pointless personally but it's all about enjoyment. It's the same argument as why rewatch if you know what's going to happen. You're reliving the experience just in a different form, one you even may find more enjoyable
May 18, 2016 3:26 PM

May 2016
I personally prefer to read the Manga first. The manga for me seems more authentic than the anime because it looks cooler seeing the transition and flow from panel to panel compared to frame to frame. I usually only watch the anime after ive read all the chapters of the manga. you could read 10 chapters of manga way quicker than 10 episodes of anime so all in all its based on preference.
May 18, 2016 3:35 PM

Aug 2012

> Either. I watch or read depending on my mood.

> I start on scratch.

> I feel like if I miss the series I would read it's manga/novel equivalent. Although i feel like it's kind of indeed pointless to read if you know the story already. A year is enough for me to miss the series.
May 18, 2016 3:38 PM

Jun 2015
Start with the anime since it will take less time and if I like it then a may start the manga from the beginning
"We don't have a choice.
The World is cruel."

May 18, 2016 4:04 PM

Aug 2014
Striktlyy said:

- Find the anime which will surely suit my taste.
- I usually read the reviews of the anime to see if the majority of people think it's a good adaptation of the source. If it isn't good, then I'll surely read the manga.
- If I actually care about the story, yes.
- Not really, it depends on your intention to watch the anime. If you just want to watch the anime to know the story then its obviously pointless when you've read the manga. But sometimes it isn't the only reason for someone to watch anime adaptation.

Sometimes I just watch the anime adaptation to hear the voice of certain character so I can imagine how this character talks when I read the manga, sometimes I just want to see the manga in motion, and sometimes I just want to feel the atmosphere of certain scene and compare it to the manga.
May 18, 2016 4:05 PM

Jun 2008
99% of the time with the anime.

1% of the time with doujins.

0% of the time with manga....I've simply never done it that way.
May 18, 2016 4:12 PM

Jul 2015
You either watch the first episode or open the first pg
May 18, 2016 8:30 PM

Jul 2015
Just to clarify in case some people were confused, when I asked "how do you start a series" I meant in terms of either reading the manga first or watching the anime first, or doing both in whichever order, etc etc. But thanks for all the replies nonetheless!

Speaking for myself, I guess since I'm still new to manga, I have yet to discover which method works best for me, so I think with Attack on Titan, I'll read the manga first and then watch the anime.

Thanks for all the replies! It's nice to see the difference in opinions of different people.

caught in the wonder
May 18, 2016 8:40 PM
May 2016
If the anime is moving slow I'll switch to the manga to see if it's gonna go in a direction I like then switch back to anime sometimes you loose a little on the switch but as long as it's early your usually gonna be fine
May 18, 2016 8:54 PM

Oct 2013
When answering this Q: "How do you start a series?" I have to bear in mind that it's a specific title right? Well if so then I would look into the source material first, if it's manga anyways.
If I had to choose between one or the other, then I'd likely wanna read instead if I've grown to like it - I would still try the anime and see if it'd be provide a decent watching experience, so no I don't think consuming the content both ways is pointless not when both provides joy.
Ah and if I do start with watching anime, my interest would likely remain there, I usually don't look into the source when I watch anime first.
May 18, 2016 9:33 PM

Jun 2014
Striktlyy said:
Speaking for myself, I guess since I'm still new to manga, I have yet to discover which method works best for me, so I think with Attack on Titan, I'll read the manga first and then watch the anime.

AoT manga has hideous art, anime is better in all ways
May 18, 2016 9:36 PM

Jun 2015
I start by watching the first anime episode. When the anime is over, I read the manga, so that I'm not depressed/spoiled by getting farther ahead via the manga. It's an extremely satisfying feeling to me when the anime ends, and I can read the rest of it. I'd rather see the ending last than first.
May 18, 2016 9:40 PM
Aug 2015
Striktlyy said:
Hey guys!

Not sure if this has been discussed before, so forgive me if it has, but I'm curious about how I should start a series.

For me, I'm planning on starting the Attack on Titan series (finally) and I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I read the manga first? Do I watch the anime first? I've been postponing this anime for a long time now just because of how 'hyped' it was, and I always thought it was overrated but that's a whole different story.

Sorry for the spam of questions, but I'm really stumbled on what to do, so I just want to know what you guys do.

dont watch attack on titans its shit do yourself a favour add it to your dropped list and give it a 1 ranking

b]• Do you read the manga or anime first?- if the manga is out i read it first

[b]• Do you watch the anime, then pick up where the anime left off in the manga?- if the series just stops then yes

[b]• Is it pointless to both watch an anime and read the manga, since you already know what's going to happen?- not always most of the time the anime cuts out parts for time
May 18, 2016 9:42 PM

Nov 2015
Just watch it already OP.
I never read the mangoes because I'm such a badass..
May 18, 2016 9:43 PM

Jun 2015
GesuYarou said:

yeah but it's good to read the manga if you're really into a series, and want to continue it/anime ending not good enough. just suggesting it if u ever felt sad or stressed that your fav. anime ended
May 18, 2016 9:48 PM

Nov 2015
Intelligenza said:
GesuYarou said:

yeah but it's good to read the manga if you're really into a series, and want to continue it/anime ending not good enough. just suggesting it if u ever felt sad or stressed that your fav. anime ended

No yeah, I do intend to get into mangoes sometime around now.
Probably this summer.
May 18, 2016 9:52 PM

Jun 2015
GesuYarou said:
Intelligenza said:

Probably this summer.

If it's the art style (black white), or if it's just because it's in manga format and not anime, don't let it hold you back. I didn't like it much at first, but I started reading the Nisekoi manga after the second season ended, and it got me into manga right away. I started to read all of the manga in which my fav. anime series ended, had no regrets, whatsoever. Just giving out some recommendations :).
May 18, 2016 9:55 PM

Jul 2015
Intelligenza said:
If it's the art style (black white), or if it's just because it's in manga format and not anime, don't let it hold you back. I didn't like it much at first, but I started reading the Nisekoi manga after the second season ended, and it got me into manga right away. I started to read all of the manga in which my fav. anime series ended, had no regrets, whatsoever. Just giving out some recommendations :).

Omg Nisekoi is exactly what got me into manga reading too LOL. I was really curious as to who the "girl" is, so I read it, and it got me hooked onto manga reading. Not gonna lie, I used to not like reading manga because I needed animation, but I quickly had a change of heart after reading Nisekoi.

caught in the wonder
May 18, 2016 9:56 PM

Nov 2015
Intelligenza said:
GesuYarou said:

Probably this summer.

Alrighty then.
I think my sister's reading nisekoi too..

It's not the art style. It's just that I haven't had enough time. Now's a pretty good time to start I guess..
May 18, 2016 9:59 PM

Jan 2015
I watch the anime and if I love it enough to read the manga/LN, I read the manga/LN from the start (most of the time, One Punch Man was the other way around).
May 18, 2016 10:01 PM
Jun 2015
Depends upon what you love more. For me its anime. I don't read manga because anime's are more appealing.
May 18, 2016 11:19 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
If the manga runs longer, sometimes I'll just read the manga instead of watch the anime. If I really like the anime and ended up watching it first, I might end up reading the manga from where the anime left off.

It's also important to look at the staff for anime. If I disagree with it, sometimes I'd rather read the manga. Art style plays a pretty big role as well. If the art style changes in a way that i find unfitting for the series, I may skip the anime and go straight towards the manga.

Safe to say, I personally don't have as much time on my hands as I used to. So I go with one or the other. I never do both for the same series, unless it's to continue it in the other form of media I started it in.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

May 19, 2016 11:09 AM

Apr 2010
Usually, I'm fine with only the anime. There were few cases I wasn't so I read the manga (luckily, most of them are finished). The only times it went the other way around was Skip Beat, when I was too shocked from Kyoko's anime version in the beginning and Noblesse where watching the Korean ova didn't bother me in any way (though it's nit covering the manga. but comes before it) but the Japanese was pretty disappointing as they took off all jokes

May 19, 2016 11:20 AM

Jan 2012
Usually I will start with the anime (only manga I've decided to read so far is One Piece). I usually just pick a show off of a recommendation from a friend or off of a whim.
May 19, 2016 2:06 PM
May 2015
Well, for Attack on titan it is better to start with anime and then catch up with the manga, because it has a remarkable animation and was well adaptaded.

I usually ask for recommendations, if the anime is good, i watch it first. But there are some cases where the manga it is so much interesting and has a beautiful design and the correspondent anime does not, so I just read that (the case of Tokyo Ghoul :)
AriatnaMay 19, 2016 2:12 PM
May 19, 2016 3:48 PM

Oct 2015
If i find a series i want to start and it has both a manga and an anime, i usually just pick whatever im in the mood for. plain reading versus watching+reading(subs).
if the manga extends I -may- consider reading it, but literally everything i do depends on how i feel at the moment lmao
May 19, 2016 4:09 PM

Jun 2015
Usually go with anime first then read the manga.
:)
May 19, 2016 9:46 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Striktlyy said:

Mostly only anime.

If I do read the manga, I read from the beginning. You never know what the anime may have skipped, and it's also a chance to "re-watch" the anime, so to speak.

No, because a) the anime adaptation often doesn't cover the entire manga, and b) anime adaptations also often change some things from the manga.

Sorry for the spam of questions, but I'm really stumbled on what to do, so I just want to know what you guys do.[/quote]
May 19, 2016 9:51 PM

Mar 2016
Most people say anime but I almost exclusively start with the manga
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2016 9:53 PM

Jan 2008
Both. A while back it was mostly just anime but I've started reading more manga this past year.

Only if I cared enough for the anime, which honestly isn't that often sadly. That or they're based on light novels and I don't care for reading light novels.

It'll give you a reason to compare and complain about adaption quality and pacing. Like said above, I only bother to read a manga while a anime is still ongoing because I really wanted to see what was gonna happen next, which isn't often, though I have for 1 show this season.
May 19, 2016 10:33 PM

Feb 2010
Never read the manga first in purpose just so you can bitch about the adaption. Only obnoxious people do that. Anime first/only is always easier to enjoy so I can very much recommend it.

If you want to continue the manga after the anime is up to you and how much you liked the anime obviously. I barely ever do it.

Not particularly more pointless than anime or manga or an their own. The important part is whether you get enjoyment out of it or just frustration because you can't handle small changes from the source material. I could definitely see reading the manga as being a nice way to rewatch a series.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 20, 2016 12:57 AM

Jan 2014
1. Depend on the series, if a new series anime first, if old series manga first (usually I didn't watch the anime after it)
2. Yes I pick the manga after I finished the anime
3. If manga first than anime it wasn't pointless, but if anime first, it's pointless to read the manga except the manga is better like Tokyo Ghoul
May 20, 2016 12:58 AM

Jan 2014
1. Depend on the series, if a new series anime first, if old series manga first (usually I didn't watch the anime after it)
2. Yes I pick the manga after I finished the anime
3. If manga first than anime it wasn't pointless, but if anime first, it's pointless to read the manga except the manga is better like Tokyo Ghoul
May 20, 2016 9:41 AM
Dec 2013
In the past, when I was on the fence about watching an anime adaptation, I'd read the manga first. I did this with the first chapter of Slam Dunk, Bakuman, Berserk, and the first volume of Hunter x Hunter. If I enjoyed it, I'd start watching the anime and drop the manga early on. Nowadays, I just watch the anime adaptation first and read the manga later on if I even want to.

With Attack on Titan, after finishing the first season, I'm just waiting for the second season to start airing and preventing myself from reading the manga from where the anime left off, since I know that a second season is coming.
wildhoodMay 20, 2016 11:57 AM
May 20, 2016 10:02 AM

Jun 2008
If there's an anime adaption then i watch the anime.
If i really enjoyed the anime then i read the manga afterwards.
May 20, 2016 10:51 AM

Jul 2015
Oh wow, lots of people prefer anime adaptations over manga. I'm not gonna lie, I'm the same way. I prefer anime over manga ANY day just because you can actually see the characters and the scenes come to life.

However, with that being said, I'm starting to feel like I'd rather read the manga first, and THEN watch the anime. A way to think of it is how I eat (LOL). On my plate, there are things that I like way more than the other, but even so, I always eat the things I like the least first, and then save the best for last. Yeah, there's a chance I might get full, but that's never the case. Yeah, some food might be considered better than others (in this case, manga adaptation could be better than anime adaptation) but even so, I still prefer watching anime over reading manga IN GENERAL. So if that makes sense, in the same way, I feel like I'd prefer reading the manga first and then watch the anime, even if I might be disappointed in how they left certain things out, etc etc. I'm weird ik. Hope this is a correct analogy LOL.

Oh yeah, I also like the fact that "most" manga are "usually" ahead of the anime, so that's always a plus for me too.
GemMay 20, 2016 2:24 PM

caught in the wonder
May 20, 2016 12:53 PM

May 2014
I would say go with the anime despite not having read the manga. Based on the manga scans I've seen, the art in the anime looks way better. The animation is great.
May 26, 2016 8:14 AM

Mar 2016
It completely depends. If, letssay, there's a general opinion that x anime sucks but manga is gr8 or the other way around, I go with the (supposedly) better option. Sometimes I like some anime series so much I get into the manga as well (always reading since the beginning, I don't do the read mangoe from where the anime left off thing), same goes for watching adaptations of comics I enjoyed.
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
May 26, 2016 8:25 AM

Aug 2014
I almost always watch the anime first, to decide whether or not the manga/LN might be worth picking up at some point. There are rare instances where everyone told me the anime literally ended when it turned good (like Medaka Box) where I usually end up reading the manga first instead. And then there are the long shows, like D-Gray Man, where I just picked up the manga instead, since I don't feel like going through the 100 ep of the anime.
May 26, 2016 8:26 AM

Sep 2014
I only watch anime and I read manga only when I can't wait for another episode of the anime to come out.

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 33 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
44 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

86 by vampirismsxc »»
9 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 24 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.