Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 10, 2016 4:23 AM

Feb 2016
Well, I finally finish school after a week or so. And while I am pretty satisfied with my grades through the years, I fell like they were so empty. I have always felt that way, but it wasn't a problem until I started watching slice of life school anime. Tons of it. And while I absolutely adore them, I get really sad when I see a bunch of highschool friends have fun together or things like that. Because for me, these times are now gone, wasted and not coming back.
Do you ever feel that way if you are past your school years and watch a school anime?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 10, 2016 4:26 AM
Apr 2013
You can try and read all OreGairu Light Novels.
May 10, 2016 4:30 AM

Feb 2013
Hunterbg97 said:
Well, I finally finish school after a week or so. And while I am pretty satisfied with my grades through the years, I fell like they were so empty. I have always felt that way, but it wasn't a problem until I started watching slice of life school anime. Tons of it. And while I absolutely adore them, I get really sad when I see a bunch of highschool friends have fun together or things like that. Because for me, these times are now gone, wasted and not coming back.
Do you ever feel that way if you are past your school years and watch a school anime?
not really since i still hang out with my high school friends

besides, you still have college left.. that's a few more years of school

but im in my last months of college so i might get to feel that strongly in the coming times :<

hopefully umaru chan inspired many creators to have working age protagonists
May 10, 2016 4:34 AM

Jan 2013
Shallamayne said:
Sometimes, yeah. My solution is to just live vicariously through other SOL anime while crying to myself.

I just burst into laughter, holy shit. Please excuse my person if that comes off as rude.

Hunterbg97 said:

I understand the feeling you are describing but I can't really say I've felt that way personally. I mainly kept to myself during school unless my environment immediately brought something to my attention.

If I were to offer a piece of advice it would be to look forward towards the future and what you can do for yourself and others from the situations you'll eventually be placed in. These times may seem important to a decent degree now but as you continue to progress they'll easily be replaced by stronger memories and experiences.
May 10, 2016 4:38 AM

Jul 2014
Watch more of these, kill yourself more inside until you are left with nothing but an empty shell, that's what I did with myself.
May 10, 2016 4:38 AM

Feb 2015
that's still better compared to my highschool days. i don't even want to think about it anymore LOL.
May 10, 2016 4:39 AM

Jun 2015
Hmmm I do feel a bit low when reminiscing about my high school days. It definitely kills me when I think of the things I missed because of how reserved and anti-social I was. Then again, I'm a pretty grounded person whose almost heartless so it doesn't affect me in a big way. I just roll with it, it is what it is. I'm not a fan of slice of life or school animes in a big way so I definitely don't do that. I keep in contact with friends wherever they are all over the world so that helps.
'Life is full of ups and downs, trials and tribulations, successes and disappointments. Think positive always and never allow disappointments drag you down. Hell! Disappoint anyone and everyone, but never and I repeat, NEVER disappoint yourself'.
May 10, 2016 4:40 AM

Aug 2015
And here I am still wondering why people likes SoL so much o.o?
May 10, 2016 4:41 AM

Feb 2013
FarrelSal said:
Yeah post this shit here because this is totally an anime discussion.
From op's post "[...]Do you ever feel that way if you are past your school years and watch a school anime?"

i think it still qualifies as anime discussion

wanna discuss your feelings about school anime?
May 10, 2016 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
FarrelSal said:
Yeah post this shit here because this is totally an anime discussion.

You should simply report it in which case and let the mods handle it instead of belittling another's thread through turbulent means. Should it meet your point it'll be clear after the fact. If not, you are only instigating for no meaningful reason.
May 10, 2016 4:57 AM

Mar 2011
As an 2 year older senpai, i can clearly say that life isn't over when you finish school. Many choose grades and study over time with friends or making friends, and other people choose friends over study. Both is respectable. Watching animes and seeing Friends have fun, you might wish now that you had spent more time doing that instead of choosing the latter, but my advise is not worry to much about that.

Since you are now 18 there are more pleasures and freedom waiting you than you had when you were under 18. This is not an advise you get from many here on MAL i believe, but i will give it. You should try and participate in the social aspect of drinking. By now many of your classmates from elementary school, middle school and High school is 18, it's time to move on and to sit down get some alcohol in your body and talk more with people. I'm not saying it can't be done without alcohol, but you will certainly meet and make more acquaintances if you go out and take a beer. You will hear countless stories, get new ideas where to travel in the world, perhaps meet a cute girl, talk to an older dude that perhaps will take liking to you and offer you a job? If you do, then perhaps you will meet many of your old acquaintances and talk with them about the good old "times" you had, and perhaps you could have had. Regretfully i didn't start to be really drinking social until i was 19, but during the year when i finally had the taste of such increase of social activity i couldn't support the "weekend beer" more. Many of the people on this site is a bit outside of the.. "Normal" In real life community, therefore will probably say against my opinion. But i believe we two both share the desire to laugh and have fun with other people in real life rather than sitting on a computer wishing for it. ;)
May 10, 2016 4:57 AM

Jan 2016
I agree with Chandela there.

Anyway, I try to make my school days as memorable as possible, well I'm a quiet/distant person, but I still try to make the best out of it. There's some months till I finish studying in my college and damn I've had a fun time which I don't regret at all. I'll be travelling back to Sweden and make a new life there, which I'm actually looking forward to. It's much better than to regret the past or be stuck in the past. Move on, you have another life now.
May 10, 2016 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
i never felt something watching Sol
they are boring ....
May 10, 2016 5:10 AM

Mar 2016
Yeah I felt that way after my college ended. I do not hang out much so I was left all alone with anime and games and first time in my life it felt really boring and depressing. But then my uni started made new friends and all went back to normal.

During the break watching school/friend anime made me more depressed so I started watching harem anime. (Lol)
May 10, 2016 5:14 AM
May 2016
Sakamoto desu ga may cheer you up,
temporarily :)

I feel you.
May 10, 2016 5:27 AM

Oct 2011
I know that feeling OP, it goes the same for me (well at least in a high school context since I'm still currently in college)

Maybe watching The Tatami Galaxy will help you reflect on that.
May 10, 2016 6:01 AM

Jul 2015
i really don't know that feeling - i don't have any friends. (expect one which i will be separating from 1 year later). i used to have friends but as i grew up i realized most of them were fake, i might sound like an emo but they were really fake. i might only have one friend but he is like 100 friends to me
May 10, 2016 6:07 AM

Jan 2016
I've never had a fun summer tbh, only a camp for a week, that's all... Yet I'm pretty fine with that since I used to be a shut-in, now I'm not a shut-in, but I barely have any friends.
May 10, 2016 6:13 AM

Apr 2015
OP I feel you. I've been discussing about this with my brother for the longest time and now that I'm finishing my final year, I can't help but feel that it was empty. I skipped out on school trips, though I have a lot of friends and I'm social but neither me nor they were adventurous in any way and like that my school life just went by. I know college is there, but with college comes new problems and those school days ("School Days" lol, get it?) will never come by. I'll never be able to enjoy the time like the one in school.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2016 6:13 AM

Nov 2009
Hunterbg97 said:

Most SoL is much like harem and fantasy anime. Nothing like my actual school life, but nice to watch.

Z-Dante said:
And here I am still wondering why people likes SoL so much o.o?

That's because we don't have a life of our own. We feed upon other people's lives, and feel just a little bit alive as a result.
May 10, 2016 6:17 AM

Nov 2009
KlapKlap said:
Since you are now 18 there are more pleasures and freedom waiting you than you had when you were under 18. This is not an advise you get from many here on MAL i believe, but i will give it. You should try and participate in the social aspect of drinking.

On the other hand, I would recommend dating. It might be too late if you keep putting it off.
May 10, 2016 6:28 AM
Mar 2016
I have friends, but in the phone :p (most of them can't play with me anymore). You can play game online
May 10, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2015
I generally don't tend to like SoL but I feel ya on the Highschool anime part.

Not that I feel like I wasted those days away, it just kinda makes me feel nostalgic (it's only been a year lol).
May 10, 2016 11:58 AM

Mar 2011
flannan said:
KlapKlap said:
Since you are now 18 there are more pleasures and freedom waiting you than you had when you were under 18. This is not an advise you get from many here on MAL i believe, but i will give it. You should try and participate in the social aspect of drinking.

On the other hand, I would recommend dating. It might be too late if you keep putting it off.

Aw, please don't hurry us there, i know i am 21 this year but i still wanna be wild a few more years before starting the real deep relationship part xD
May 10, 2016 12:01 PM

Jul 2013
I totally feel you, mate. Not because I watch SoL animes, but because I also miss the times when I had fun with my friends in the highschool :(
May 10, 2016 2:51 PM

Apr 2016
dude i feel that way all the time i get depressed when i see anyone having fun in a highschool setting see i never went to any events was depressed 3/4 years and only had a select few friends
May 10, 2016 6:32 PM

Jun 2015
Watch K-on!! best School Anime for me!

The Best Script!

May 10, 2016 6:47 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
are you in college now? if you are you ain't gon miss highschool lol

after awhile of college chances are you're not even going to talk to most if any of the people you knew in HS
EcchiGodMamsterMay 10, 2016 6:55 PM
May 10, 2016 7:47 PM

May 2015
Hunterbg97 said:

Dude, you've only felt the tip of its dick T_T

Hunterbg97 said:

Yeap, I just try not to think about it too much
oh u wanna fight. CAPS LOCK ENGAGE
May 10, 2016 7:53 PM
Aug 2015
I don't feel that way because i was homeschooled. I had no friends anyway. I wasted no time either because i cheated on everything and watched anime all day. Still got good grades when test time came too. I regret nothing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2016 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
damn thats a lot of regrets from school days then, reality sucks dude lol just remember that anime is fiction so its suppose to be better than reality
May 11, 2016 12:17 AM

Oct 2015
No but I generally try to avoid school animes anyway because I've seen so much of it in other animes even if they weren't even focused on school (like Parasyte for example)

I never had that many friends in high school anyway but the few I did were really into anime, Genshiken (even though it takes place in college) sorta reminds me of hanging out with them though it doesn't make me sad.
May 11, 2016 12:25 AM

Jul 2008
It is important to remember that on some level all SOL anime are fantasies. They are ideals of what school life could be, and mostly feature girls anyway. Most people do not have high school lives like that, lol.
May 11, 2016 12:27 AM
Jul 2018
I use to think the exact same way, and I'm not about to lie and say that those feelings do not resurface from time to time, because they do. At least you got good grades throughout the years, despite feeling empty and unfulfilled inside.

Not only was I empty and unfulfilled through the better part of my life so far, not just during my school years, but my marks were shit as well.

What helped me deal with the depression that came from all of this wasted history, was making a difference to better myself in the present time. By caring enough about myself to make active changes and improvements in my life, through all spectrum's of both achievement and happiness.

But, ya, I can relate with the empty and unfulfilled sense of reality. It's always been in my life since as far back as I can remember.
May 11, 2016 12:34 AM

Mar 2015
Absolutely, OP. To me, my high school years were simply amazing, and they will be years that I will forever cherish. But high school's just one chapter in your life. Who knows, uni might be more fun. If you need a good comedy to cheer you up, try looking at Kono Suba. It's not high school-related, so you might be able to enjoy it more without feeling too melancholic.
May 11, 2016 1:13 AM

Jan 2014
Nope, I forget my high school life, how many decades ago?
May 11, 2016 1:23 AM

May 2015
I'm aware of how I pissed my school years away. I can't change it.

Thankfully I found a better group of friends.

How is your social group? Do they emphasize studying or actually living life?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 11, 2016 1:52 AM

Oct 2015
I don't watch much school anime but when I do I can relate. I am in college right now with a class of 20 and it kind of feels like a comedy school anime without the uniforms but just with more alcohol.
May 11, 2016 3:10 AM
Dec 2015
For college, I had an enviable GPA and took a lot of the more difficult science courses. When I get a little bitter, I often tell my few friends something like, "I should have got drunk more and made more friends."

Now, I still feel I made the right decision. I have much more opportunities than those that depend on connections. I have always went at my own pace, my own tune.
May 11, 2016 8:44 AM

Feb 2016
Wow people, never expected to get so much interest in the topic and so much advice. I gather from your replies that some of you feel like me, and I will definately will watch the things you recommended. Thank you!
May 11, 2016 8:54 AM

Feb 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:

My group isn't bad, I'm just not very close with them and we all live very far from each other cause the school is considered good. And while they have older friends from their old schools, I have nobody except them. We rarely see each other.
May 11, 2016 8:57 AM

Apr 2014
Hunterbg97 said:

School was a trap just remember one thing Anime is love anime is life
May 11, 2016 9:17 AM

Dec 2015
You just have to make up for it in college. Or if they ever meet in Summer, you should join them.
This is also my final year, many cried. I finished school technically. I didn't feel a thing. I went out with my friends whenever I could but I always preferred my time alone...
May 11, 2016 9:21 AM

Dec 2012
Highschool sucked, I don't have very many good memories of it and I pretty much hated it, though I graduated in the top 1/3 of my class. College was way more fun and if you miss it you can go back at any age and study something else.
KruszerMay 11, 2016 9:24 AM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

May 11, 2016 9:21 AM
Dec 2011
I'm depressed too. That's why I watch anime. Ir's meant to suppress it even though at times it's not very effective. And to make me feel happy inside.
May 11, 2016 9:29 AM

Jan 2012
All good times come to an end.
When I finished grade school and many of my friends were going to other high-schools I felt lost and I moved on , made new better friends and made new great memories.

When I finished high-school and entered college I lost most of my friends , and made new and better ones while only keeping one or two.

When I finished college I yet again lost many friends , however I am already making new ones , albeit a LOT less friends.

At this stage of my life I feel like I appreciate solitude more than hanging out with friends because unlike school and college you can't talk about classes and other trivial things really and instead are forced to talk about genuine topics , and this makes negative personality traits stand out more.

Everyone working is tired and frustrated most of the time and prefer spending time alone instead of having bad conversations where everyone complains about "homework/teachers/parents etc. like in school" , however very rarely a person wil come your way , and both of you will just magically click and that will be the start of something special.

Honestly as you progress through life you will outgrow many friends , and they will also outgrow you.
It's bound to happen , and one day you will be smiling back and remembering the nice memories you had together rather than the friends themselves.

If you don't have many fond memories to look back on , then start making fun ones.
Invite your friends to go to the movies or to go celebrate after you finish school or something that you will remember a few years from now instead of loathing in self pity and regretting the fact that you didn't enjoy it more.

Good luck hope you have a great day.
May 11, 2016 11:22 PM

May 2015
Hunterbg97 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

My group isn't bad, I'm just not very close with them and we all live very far from each other cause the school is considered good. And while they have older friends from their old schools, I have nobody except them. We rarely see each other.

My question is more, what is their lifestyle? Their worldview?

One group of friends cares only about a few popular TV shows and studying. The other is mainly interested in shitty memes. These are toxic groups.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 11, 2016 11:32 PM

Mar 2012
I'd say don't feel bad because high school sucks. Anime makes you think you're missing out because Japan's work culture after high school makes you believe the best time of your life is high school.

To be honest, I found college to be MUCH more fun than high school. Loved college so much that now I work in collegiate athletics as an adult.

I don't know what to suggest from an anime viewing perspective to take your mind off of it. Maybe something like Golden Time? (Since it's set in college?)
May 12, 2016 12:48 PM

Feb 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hunterbg97 said:

My question is more, what is their lifestyle? Their worldview?

One group of friends cares only about a few popular TV shows and studying. The other is mainly interested in shitty memes. These are toxic groups.

Their lifestyle varies. Some are like me, introverts who enjoy movies, anime and books. In fact it is because one of them that I started watching anime. Others are in all honesty rotten, we have a drinker and a junkie, but I somehow feel relatively close to them - closer than to anyone else, at least. Most of them have a pessimistic worldview, but I do, too.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your first impression on studio (part-6) : KYOANI? ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Jan 9

57 by Nurguburu »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » AI is now capable to create animation

DrkSeid69 - 6 hours ago

17 by Mayahuel »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

55 by TheMechaManiac »»
18 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Yesterday

14 by Slimsith »»
41 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts? ( 1 2 )

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

63 by Slimsith »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.