Forum Settings
Forums

What are some of your more lowkey motivations for watching anime?

New
Apr 27, 2016 7:18 PM

Apr 2014
Besides the obvious fact you just like the medium and/or have nothing better to do ._.

Like for me, I get kind of rustled when someone passively mentions an anime I haven't seen and I have to say "I haven't seen that anime," and then the conversation moves on. Needless to say, this has led to me watching a crud ton of anime throughout the years and is probably the 3rd biggest reason I watch anime, behind just looking for an anime to kick Hellsing Ultimate out of my top ten. I swear not a single anime has entered my top ten in over a year man. Maybe I'm becoming too critical as I watch more anime.

But whatever the case, now discuss your own little sidetrack motivations for watching anime. Do you have a lot of little reasons or only a few like me? Is it a big reason or little reason? Tell Protaku all.
Apr 27, 2016 7:21 PM

Sep 2012
I just realized I read hentai doujins more than I watch anime.

Without yaoi there would be a fair amount of shows I hadn't even heard of.
Apr 27, 2016 10:16 PM
Oct 2014
I'm a man of simple tastes. Mainly I watch anime to see naked cartoon boobs.

Laugh if you want, but I'm being completely honest. Look at my list if yo don't believe me.
Apr 27, 2016 10:31 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
lasterrending said:

Laugh if you want, but I'm being completely honest. Look at my list if yo don't believe me.

i lol'd at this, that shit ain't lowkey for me xD

ecchi4lyfe

as yall know, im pretty damn open about my thoughts on anime and what i like most
Apr 27, 2016 10:52 PM
Apr 2014
To avoid life.

I watched Mushishi whenever life's been a little tough, or I want to get fucked up so badly that I'll watch shit that'll fuck me up.

Basically to wreck myself.....???????????????????
Apr 28, 2016 12:34 AM

Feb 2013
i am enlightened by cute girls
in an euphoric way
Apr 28, 2016 12:53 AM

Sep 2015
Being able to say "Yeah, I've seen that" is somewhat satisfying. A friend of mine a few weeks ago jokingly got angry at me because everytime she came across an anime she liked (she's fairly new to the medium) she'd mention it to me and tell me that I should watch it, to which 9/10 times I replied I'd already seen it.
The more I enjoy a medium the more experienced with it I want to be. So watching a large collection of anime just so I can say I've watched a lot of anime is a motivation of some sort, I guess.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 28, 2016 1:05 AM

Oct 2014
Being able to give recommendations is one of the reasons why I like watching lesser known titles. The fact that I mostly watch lesser known anime means that I haven't seen much popular anime and am therefore available to hit with recommendations for anime a lot of people have already seen. I still haven't seen AoT or KnB even though they've been recommended to me multiple times (Steins;Gate, too). I also watch anime to be more knowledgeable about more stories and themes, especially ones outside of my own culture.
Apr 28, 2016 1:08 AM

Apr 2013
I watch a lot of ecchi shows only because I saw a GIF of some nice bewbs from it.
Apr 28, 2016 1:13 AM

Jun 2015
To reccommend stuf for rl friends. I'm usually their go to guy for anime recs. Quite fascinating to recommend Kokoro Connect and suddenly see Inaba as their desktop wallpapaper the next day.

Sometimes I watch bad shows to confirm how terrible they are, yeah, not proud of this one.
Apr 28, 2016 1:56 AM

Jun 2015
Damn this is a good question i must say, i've been trying so much to think up an answer but i can't. fuck!
'Life is full of ups and downs, trials and tribulations, successes and disappointments. Think positive always and never allow disappointments drag you down. Hell! Disappoint anyone and everyone, but never and I repeat, NEVER disappoint yourself'.
Apr 28, 2016 1:59 AM

Dec 2015
Red_Keys said:
I just realized I read hentai doujins more than I watch anime.

Without yaoi there would be a fair amount of shows I hadn't even heard of.

We are quite similar here, but without the yaoi part :p
Apr 28, 2016 2:00 AM

Jul 2014
somehow the feeling you get when someone recommends you something and you can say "already seen that" is immensely satisfying.
Apr 28, 2016 2:20 AM

Dec 2015
I had a trip to Japan planned with my girlfriend (before i got into anime), so i started learning Japanese. She got me into anime by saying that it would be a fun way to improve my vocabulary and hearing skills (+she chose some ecchi to be sure to hook me in).
Now everytime i watch anime it motivates me to know that it's slightly helping my learning process.

Also:
lasterrending said:
Apr 28, 2016 2:41 AM

Nov 2009
>What are some of your more lowkey motivations for watching anime?
"recently, Kantai Collection pictures are taking over Danbooru. I hope they'll make an anime of it soon, so that I would understand them."
Well, I watched the show, and I still don't recognize most of the battleship girls. But it was fun, and that's all that matters.

"this show can't possibly be as bad as they say! not with its rating. I've gotta see it for myself."
Abashiri Ikka was as bad as they say. Infinite Stratos was quite good.
I enjoyed a lot of hated anime, including SAO and quite a number of school battle harems.
Apr 28, 2016 6:50 AM
Apr 2016
1. Different qualities than American live action shows. I think we can all agree that Anime in general is significantly more emotionally saturated than American live action shows. It's a lot easier to connect with characters or find them more interesting when you have a clearer window into their motivations/emotions. Basilisk is a good example of this. None of the characters outside of Obero and Gennosuke got much development at all, but you can still see their emotions more clearly--and so connect with them more--than most characters in American live action shows, which are more focused on everyone being edgy and cool.

2. Temporary escape from real life.

3. This isn't personally a reason, but I feel like a lot of people who watch anime in America do so because not many people do, and they want to be nonconformists so they can have a stronger sense of self.
Apr 28, 2016 6:59 AM

Apr 2016
I'm not sure if it counts as low key, but for me it's mainly escapism. It's not that I hate life or the real world, but it feels nice to just escape reality and imagine a bright, colorful world where most of the time all ends well and everything works out.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Apr 28, 2016 7:26 AM

Nov 2015
I want to be able to shitpost & bait freely without being limited by my lack of knowledge.
The more I watch the more fanbases I can manage to trigger..
Apr 28, 2016 7:30 AM

Jan 2013
Its just a part of my life and I can't see myself not watching something.
Apr 28, 2016 6:15 PM

Jan 2015
To the question "Why anime, instead of movies or live-action tv series?" I've always said "because it's animation." Which certainly explains, at least to me, why I do choose anime over other mediums for my other lowkey reason, which is "in order to outline and discover what I like and what I dislike in media." As in, I liked this one show, so I'll go read the comic book is was inspired by; or this other show is one of the worst examples of this genre, but it makes me appreciate the good stuff even more; or even this other other show takes concepts I like and executes this badly, but this stuff has similar ideas but makes them work, but how? The more I watch anime, the more I want to watch it, for understanding.

(Or maybe I just lack the self-awareness to realize I'm into it for some really dumb reason.)
Apr 28, 2016 6:25 PM

Feb 2015
- Escapism
- Hot Guys
- The size of its fandom
- The amount of fan fiction the series has on ffn/ao3
- Cool looking art
- It was rec'd a lot
Apr 28, 2016 6:29 PM

Jun 2015
Honestly, there have been times when I've wanted to watch a particular anime for little other reason than to just to boost my MAList and even out my mean score. I'll still observe and critique that same anime without much bias, but that can be an underlying factor that prompts me to watch in the first place.

And also to be more cultured in anime, gain further understanding of the many different branches / qualities of the medium, and to have a greater wealth of references to draw from when watching / critiquing in the future.
Apr 30, 2016 10:53 PM

Mar 2015
I tend not to have any particular or big reason to watch an anime. Sometimes I like the art style. Or it could be the plot seems interesting enough. At times I'll watch an anime cuz of an AMV I saw. Occasionally it's just a friend's recommendation. So I pretty much watch anime for very simple reasons and I'm not all that picky about trying anime out. Though, because of this I end up dropping far more anime than I ever finish (though my list doesn't reflect this since I've forgotten so many I've dropped over the years).
Apr 30, 2016 10:58 PM

Jan 2016
Principal reasons, good story, escapism, epicness, caracters and music, plus much more.
Apr 30, 2016 11:00 PM

Apr 2016
eh i got few more year before cholesterol kills me so i want 2 get as much animes as i can before then and some games
Apr 30, 2016 11:02 PM

Nov 2014
I just want to get noticed by Protaku senpai.

May 1, 2016 12:35 AM

May 2015
I enjoy reviewing stuff and anime gives me another thing to review.

I also really, really love the art style. It's just beautiful.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 1, 2016 1:19 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Awful lowkey motivation being "I wonder if I can find more characters to cosplay as lolol". Since I know hardly any of my friends keep up with anime seasons, I'll do so and cosplay as certain characters first so I won't have to deal with that awful drama of them claiming that I'm copying them. Because honest to goodness, a lot of my friends who cosplay actually feel like you're copying them if you do a cosplay after they do it. Jfc, so I try to get a head start so I don't have to deal with that first grader bullcrap. Thank goodness that's not the only reason I watch anime though.

I do try to watch all I can manage for the sake of discussion just so I won't have to say, "I haven't watched that" as well. I've never had a conversation move on from an anime; people just keep on talking about it as I sit there not knowing a thing about it. Bothers me.

ALSO so I can be the go-to friend for anime recommendations, giving recs for things that they've hopefully not received a million times before. I want to help people find things that are different from what they've heard/seen but still fall into their interests.
That brings me to my lowkey reason for being on MAL; because I'm attempting to get as many people to join as possible so everyone can have a list I can refer to so I can give them proper recs. No one bites though because like no one I know off this site keeps up with anime seasons and so they don't even try...? They just watch like... five anime a year or something because they happen to be popular or something.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 1, 2016 1:20 AM

Jul 2012
Swiggy said:
Awful lowkey motivation being "I wonder if I can find more characters to cosplay as lolol".
me af omg

but yeah, i watch anime for more things to cosplay, more plushies to make, more shirts to design. i recently started designing tshirts on this site and i really ran out of ideas to make LOL.
May 1, 2016 3:39 AM

Mar 2015
Ok, you becoming too critical as you watch more anime.. Its opposite of mine. I am more lenient as I watch more anime.

The reason is.. I told myself that anime just entertainment medium.
This salad is salty favored

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 27 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
14 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
37 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.