Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2016 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Dang, I got the whole espionage feeling this episode and the military flair running around town.

Episode had a good balance of eerie and liveliness though. So much shit still going down in the streets though and no safe haven for anyone.
Stark700Apr 26, 2016 7:38 AM
Apr 26, 2016 9:26 AM

Nov 2013
lol am I supposed to find it touching the moment when that ugly 30 years old fat man reveals that he is avenging his lover??? Wtf is wrong with those pedos?
Not as good as the last episode but still good.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Apr 26, 2016 9:58 AM

Jan 2015
This Episode have even stronger "Spy" vibe in it. At least until that "Revenge" revealed.
I thought it was an earthquake. Because it'll be funny he got startled like that for an earthquake.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 26, 2016 10:26 AM

Mar 2015
Not as good as the last episode, i was expecting a bigger twist at the end, this revenge thing didn't make much sense, it was pretty confusing and out of blue(disgusting).

But it remains good.

So it will be a MC per episode... who was the guy of the episode?, they all have similar faces

lezermanApr 26, 2016 10:29 AM
Apr 26, 2016 10:32 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode confused me because I didn't recognize anyone but the ending kinda cleared things up a little

The outcome of this whole thing was brutal as fuck O_O The entire tone and atmosphere of this episode worked really well and the spy themes were on point as usual

I really need to study episode one by learning all of the names of the trainees as well as what they look like because for the longest I was very lost as to why we were following these people xD

Good episode overall tho....Dat yaoi tho lol
TokoyaApr 26, 2016 10:37 AM
Apr 26, 2016 10:40 AM

Dec 2015
All those spy fuckers from the D-agency and regular characters look the same. How am I ever supposed to tell who is the spy in the episodes -_-. I mean last episode it was obvious, however, I still didn't know the guys "name," since all the spies look alike anyways. Also wtf is up with the pedobear at the end of the episode lol. Does he want a wahburger and some frenchcries that his loli boy toy couldn't fulfill his pedobear tendencies anymore? For real, go call a wahmbulance...

Also if I was the dude with that opium, I'd be smoking that shit or throwing some in tea :D!

I honestly didn't like this episode that much 2.5/5
Apr 26, 2016 10:49 AM

Jul 2012
I should've paid attention a bit more since I got lost a bit especially since I didn't recognize most of these people but otherwise, a pretty interesting episode.
Apr 26, 2016 10:52 AM

Nov 2015
These self contained spy stories are working well for Joker Game but I hope they got more to it though.
Moving forward thus story was really close to what reality had been at that time.
Everyone wants a piece of royalty and that's how people get to the wrong side.
Apr 26, 2016 10:57 AM

Nov 2012
I couldn't even tell which spy was the focus of this episode considering they all look the same.
Apr 26, 2016 11:01 AM

Apr 2014
Seems like people are at fault for not uinderstand the anime. Yes this isnt ur cliche easy to digest anime u actually gotta think for once.
Apr 26, 2016 11:05 AM

Jul 2015
Damn. Two older guys and a boy... ew. Damn pedos. I liked the MC this ep as well, but last week's episode was better
Apr 26, 2016 11:10 AM

Nov 2012
Not bad, but I didn't enjoy this last couple episodes as much as the first two...
I hope to see a more complex arc that last more than one episode.
Apr 26, 2016 11:11 AM
Jan 2014
moodie said:
Seems like people are at fault for not uinderstand the anime. Yes this isnt ur cliche easy to digest anime u actually gotta think for once.

This doesn't really have anything to do with thinking. The spies didn't get a decent introduction making it harder for viewers to remember them AND their faces actually look similiar. Also this episode was kind of meh - I didn't really care about the whole (rather obvious) mystery and this episode's spy appeared for such a short amount of time. I'm beginning to doubt whether this "1 spy / 1 episode" formula was a good idea ;/
Apr 26, 2016 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
This episode isn't as good as the previous one!

It was a little hard to tell which was the spy since the characters almost look alike.
Apr 26, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2014
Mushelox said:
moodie said:

This doesn't really have anything to do with thinking. The spies didn't get a decent introduction making it harder for viewers to remember them AND their faces actually look similiar. Also this episode was kind of meh - I didn't really care about the whole (rather obvious) mystery and this episode's spy appeared for such a short amount of time. I'm beginning to doubt whether this "1 spy / 1 episode" formula was a good idea ;/
Because its not being spoonfed to you. The problem with most anime's narrative structure is that it translates things to the viewers like they are stupid and use heavy exposition to make people understand things.
Apr 26, 2016 11:19 AM
Feb 2008
moodie said:
Because its not being spoonfed to you. The problem with most anime's narrative structure is that it translates things to the viewers like they are stupid and use heavy exposition to make people understand things.

Sorry, but telling people apart has nothing to do with heavy exposition or force feeding informations to watchers... people aren't too stupid to get the show, from what I can tell, but they are confused on WHO was the spy because they look alike and they had nearly NO introduction.

But if you all get it: Who was it? (I know, because I can tell the voices apart, but I won't tell because you seem to KNOW-IT-ALL...).

Sorry, I usually don't comment, but I had to.
Apr 26, 2016 11:25 AM
May 2014
Seems like artwork is creating the problem. Lol.
While this episode was average, the dying seconds made it good.

I did not expect the reporter to be the D Agency Guy. It was a great example of a disguise. Just a spectacle can change so much with the correct choice.

"Magicians create illusions by diverting your attention. If you are attentive enough you wont ever be surprised."
Apr 26, 2016 11:26 AM

Jul 2014
Hmm, not as interesting as last week's episode but still not half-bad. It would seriously help if it was easier to tell these spies apart, but then maybe the point is that they're supposed to be hard to differentiate from one another. Still needs improvement though, even if that is the case.
Apr 26, 2016 11:37 AM

Apr 2014
i couldn't tell the reporter was fukumoto at all.

interesting episode tho. i like the art but it's really araki-ish sometimes, to the point i struggle to tell some characters apart.
Apr 26, 2016 11:43 AM

Dec 2014
It was a good episode, But the previous ones were better.

The captain was a broken man, He went crazy before he was killed. Didn't expect the Yaoi xD

Sort of expected the reporter to be the spy after his insinuations.
Need to go back to the first episode and learn the names of these D agency guys xD
Apr 26, 2016 11:45 AM

May 2015
Ok episode. I don't like the episodic formula of the last two episodes. This episode was a bit too over the top in the last part. I would have liked to see how Honma discovered that the captain snapped and start selling opium.
Too short to be memorable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Quite the dramatic episode.

So it looks like each episode will focus on a different spy, interesting.

Also, that whole pedo crossdressing ladyboy thing was disgusting af.
Apr 26, 2016 12:03 PM

Sep 2015
It was fun playing spot the MC this episode. Wasn't as mysterious an episode, but still alright. I got strong Canaan flashbacks during the street scenes.
Apr 26, 2016 12:06 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I have no clue what i just watched, but the ending was pretty sick.
Apr 26, 2016 12:24 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Shanghai was one crazy town in the late 30's.

I wonder if at some point all the spies will be together on one episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 26, 2016 12:34 PM

May 2009
Game over for me, I fail to spot the spy for this eps. xD
Apr 26, 2016 12:52 PM

Mar 2016
I get way too confused at this show
Apr 26, 2016 1:00 PM

Jul 2015
Moral of the story learnt: Never trust your superiors. It was a bit confusing at the beginning, but a good episode nonetheless.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Apr 26, 2016 1:01 PM
Apr 2016
Axel_Blaze said:
I did not expect the reporter to be the D Agency Guy. It was a great example of a disguise. Just a spectacle can change so much with the correct choice.

I definitely agree, last episode we didn't get to see how the cotton in the mouth trick affected his face so I'm really glad we did get to see the "unmasking" this time around, so to speak.

I actually really like the diversity in the faces, but I'm also very used to anime so maybe I'm just conditioned to tell the characters apart regardless of art style, lol.

Cejara said:
Also wtf is up with the pedobear at the end of the episode lol. Does he want a wahburger and some frenchcries that his loli boy toy couldn't fulfill his pedobear tendencies anymore? For real, go call a wahmbulance...

I don't think you werre supposed to actually feel sympathetic towards either pedophile in this episode. I mean, one was obviously The Main Villain, and the other kinda took your advice by quitting when the going got tough lol.

All in all I'm enjoying this vignette style though, I think it'll allow for drastic tone shifts from episode to episode, so for example if an episode like this one is unpopular, the episodes to either side of it can be completely different. That's pretty good storytelling for something that takes as many risks as this does, if you ask me.
Apr 26, 2016 1:02 PM

Jan 2013
lol thats not yaoi thats pedophilia

tho its not out of place since a lot of nastier stuff happens during wars
Apr 26, 2016 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
Ultimate215 said:
Also, that whole pedo crossdressing ladyboy thing was disgusting af.

Omg I've never ew'd so hard in my life~ Dafuq was that~
Apr 26, 2016 1:05 PM

Sep 2015
I think this episode was a failure. I could identify all the characters in this episode, so that was fine for me to understand the plot. But I think the plot was too cliche.
The MC this episode wasn't even the spy... wut!?
Still I like the MC we have here.

This episode bumped my ranking of the show down. I really don't like the episodic formula. I just don't see how this can work. With a great set up in the era and background themes, they can have a good over-arching plot. But they chose short stories which means they are throwing away the potential of international and domestic conflicts.
Apr 26, 2016 1:06 PM

Dec 2015
moodie said:

Or every character looks like the spies from the D-agency and not to mention the spies look like each other on top of that. So how could you understand whats going on if you can't even tell which character is who lol.
Apr 26, 2016 1:29 PM

Jun 2014
Just to let you guys know that the glasses guy was Kusanagi(fake name) all along and his real name is Fukumoto(real name. Next episode will focus on Kaminaga.
Apr 26, 2016 1:31 PM

Aug 2013
I didn't like this episode. And it seems to be episodic series, which is a big disadvantage for me.
But one thing is bothering me. All those neons on the streets. Really? In that year? Idk, but isn't it a bit too early for this?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 26, 2016 1:33 PM

Feb 2014
Admittedly, it was hard to keep track on the characters a times, since most look very similar to each other.

Despite that, I felt that this episode was still pretty good. Our spy was the journalist, who gave enough key info to Honma which helped him with his confrontation of his corrupt captain. The ending of this scene was brutal and bloody though... >_<
Apr 26, 2016 1:35 PM

Jul 2014
zcv45 said:
The MC this episode wasn't even the spy... wut!?
Still I like the MC we have here.

He may not have gotten screen time, but everything was set up by the reporter. So in a sense he was the "MC" this episode.
ColdbladeApr 26, 2016 1:39 PM
Apr 26, 2016 1:41 PM

Jul 2007
I know why they used Kazuya Nakai as Fukumoto's seiyuu,..
if it wasn't for his voice I wouldn't know who is Fukumoto in this episode. thanks god that his voice is very well known.

most of the characters looks the same and they even change their hairstyle which make it even worse to recognize them >.<
Apr 26, 2016 1:43 PM

Jun 2014
The only reason I was able to figure out the identity of the spy in this episode was because I recognized Zoro's VA, and I know he voices one of the D Agency guys (Fukumoto). It really is difficult to tell these guys apart unless you can match the voice to the character, but I feel like that was done to add to the spy element. Maybe they all look similar because as spies, they don't want to stand out, so they'll all blend in as just another generic passerby if they have similar faces.

Overall, this episode, as others have mentioned, was all right, but a step down from the previous one. For the first time since the anime started, I actually felt disengaged from the episode at times. The ending was pretty intense though, and it was weird how that guy who killed himself was in a relationship with that crossdresser who was killed by the explosion. I really didn't see that coming, especially since relationships like that are pretty uncommon in anime.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 26, 2016 1:49 PM

Dec 2014
Each episode depicts a new side of the characters but I am still not able to connect them all
Apr 26, 2016 1:49 PM

Jul 2007
thebrentinator24 said:
The only reason I was able to figure out the identity of the spy in this episode was because I recognized Zoro's VA, and I know he voices one of the D Agency guys (Fukumoto). It really is difficult to tell these guys apart unless you can match the voice to the character, but I feel like that was done to add to the spy element. Maybe they all look similar because as spies, they don't want to stand out, so they'll all blend in as just another generic passerby if they have similar faces.

Overall, this episode, as others have mentioned, was all right, but a step down from the previous one. For the first time since the anime started, I actually felt disengaged from the episode at times. The ending was pretty intense though, and it was weird how that guy who killed himself was in a relationship with that crossdresser who was killed by the explosion. I really didn't see that coming, especially since relationships like that are pretty uncommon in anime.

his voice is not just known for Zorro from one piece, also Hijikata Toushirou from Gintama although Zorro is more well known. but seriously his voice is very unique and he played many roles in many well-known animes
Apr 26, 2016 1:52 PM

Jun 2014
@Fay207 Well I know he's not only famous for Zoro, but I haven't watched Gintama yet so I chose another character that he voices that almost everyone who watches anime has at least heard of. I mean if I wanted to I could have easily picked Zapp from Kekkai Sensen or Soma from God Eater.

Apr 26, 2016 1:54 PM

Dec 2012
Neat. It seems the spy at work is Fukumoto this time, the tallest of the spies.

The MP's corruption abroad. Fukumoto served as an "informant" to Honma (?) leading him into investigating his own boss, Oikawa. Fukumoto also "played" Kusanagi. Col. Yuuki again scores for the D-Agency, without shaming entirely the MP (pretty much episodes 1 and 2, but the field work done by one of the agents, not Yuuki himself).

A very atmospheric episode, full with dark ambience of temptation and madness.

I liked it!
Apr 26, 2016 1:58 PM
Sep 2014
Quick Run-down of what happened for the confused:
D-Agency sent Fukumoto to uncover the corruption happening in that territory. They already knew who it was but of course, as spies, they cannot be the ones to unveil what was happening to the public so Fukumoto's job was just to give lead to the one investigating the whole thing.
Fukumoto did so by disguising as the "reporter" previously 'acquainted' with the current investigator (totally didn't notice, even his way of speaking was so different) and giving the guy a lead pointing to another persona of his and eventually leading the guy to where the corrupt captain was (sorry if I forgot the rank lmao)
It's p ingenious, IMO. A one-man job hahaha

I'm a fan of the source material but more of the sequels than the original. Joker Game is mostly a collection of operatives' missions so pretty sure this series' format will stay. I hope they work on the other novels though since those are more connected than this.

Oh, and next episode would be Kaminaga-focus. It's obvious this time round but it was p hard to figure out Fukumoto in the preview prior this episode. I'm not used to matching their faces with names yet. orz

EDIT: In my opinion, the "lover's revenge" ending was a good way to cut the story. They won't have to drag it longer anymore since Fukumoto's done his job.
Apr 26, 2016 2:00 PM

Jul 2007
thebrentinator24 said:
@Fay207 Well I know he's not only famous for Zoro, but I haven't watched Gintama yet so I chose another character that he voices that almost everyone who watches anime has at least heard of. I mean if I wanted to I could have easily picked Zapp from Kekkai Sensen or Soma from God Eater.

I understand that, I just don't like to recognize him for one of his work while he had many other works. I just thought it's not fair for the seiyuu.
Apr 26, 2016 2:04 PM

Jun 2014
Fay207 said:
thebrentinator24 said:

I understand that, I just don't like to recognize him for one of his work while he had many other works. I just thought it's not fair for the seiyuu.

Yeah I totally get what you're saying, but usually whenever I hear his voice my go-to reaction is "hey, it's Zoro." But I understand that's not the only role he's ever done, and I respect the work he's done for other shows.

Apr 26, 2016 2:07 PM

May 2015
I was a little confused at who the spy was in the episode, but it made sense at the ending. A little bit weaker than previous episode, but still decent and interesting.

Apr 26, 2016 2:17 PM

Dec 2015
I have zero investment in any of these characters because the first couple of episodes completely failed to establish them.
I can't even name a single character.
Apr 26, 2016 2:19 PM

Jul 2013
For people who confuse the spies, if you are well known people of the seiyuu world, you could always look MAL page of the characters, see the seiyuu and later try to recognize the voice of the character, since all the mains have pretty recognizables seiyuus.

About the episode, well, didn't expected the pedobear moment of the end, but I liked the previous episodes more. I knew the glasses guy was suspicious, and he ends being Fukumoto at the end. That was the best part.
Apr 26, 2016 2:21 PM

Sep 2013
The only voice I recognized was the one from Ochiai (Dia no Ace). Well, at least I think it was his voice xD
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

154 by canadianvice »»
Oct 28, 2022 4:17 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2016

178 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.