Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »
Feb 10, 2018 12:24 AM

May 2016
That was definitely a great movie the ending was great as well, loved the fact that she will work do create that device to go to the future a great development for Makoto. 8/10
Aug 31, 2018 1:42 AM
Jan 2016
This movie is really good!!
Sep 24, 2018 2:43 PM

Sep 2014
considering how time travel usually gets the worst results possible I was seriously expecting more drama, was a pleasant surprise that this was rather friendly.

Sympathic characters, decent art and OST.

The whole romamnce thing seems more like a typical teenage romance you have for a short time only. So Im not really to sad about the ending.

Was a nice watch, nothing life changing, no deeper themes. Barely the standard coming of age. 8/10 for now. Might drop it to 7/10 later

PS: all this over a painting, wow.
Comander-07Sep 24, 2018 2:46 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 14, 2018 7:31 AM

Mar 2016
The direction of this movie is really clever, it gives a fun little story even more personality. Have to love the casual reveal that the dude's from the future. Everything is so mundane, but that's a good thing. Appreciate the stills they chose for the ending credits too.

It takes a lot to make me feel engaged to the setting and characters in an anime movie, but I was totally invested from beginning to end.

Gotta admit, Takase is an interesting incidental character, he doesn't take shit from anyone.

The first time I heard about this film was through an AMV that really made an impression on me (on megavideo of all places). I remember the title of the video being in Japanese, and I hard to ask around the net to figure out what it was. Despite all of that, I never watched it until now. The only thing I remember from that video specifically are the baseball and bike scenes.
syncrogazerDec 14, 2018 7:39 AM
Dec 19, 2018 2:51 PM

Sep 2011
"Time waits for no one", huh.

This is at least the third time I've watched this one, and it's a good movie. It has funny moments, serious moments, and its message is consistent I guess. But the conclusion still feels lacking/off.

Chiaki came from the future to see that painting, and he was gone before he could do it. Makoto told him that she would do her best to preserve it, and he told her that he would be waiting for her in the future. This may be only innocent/earnest promises they made each other, but as a viewer I feel like I was left hanging on somehow. Going by the little Chiaki told her about his future, it's a really far off one, it doesn't seem feasible that they will meet again someday, or that she will truly be able to keep her promise of preserving that painting.

But well, he came for the painting, but he stayed because of Kousuke, and especially Makoto. He even fell in love with her so maybe he got way more than what he came for, but it is still lackluster. Makes me wonder if she couldn't pretend to not know anything after going back in time for the last time, and just keep living with Chiaki, and Kousuke like that. I mean, she sorted her feelings, and even though he had to go back someday (I think he had to?), he wouldn't have confessed to her if he were in a hurry, and the memories of the time they spent together stayed in the end, so a 'happy ending' felt possible, but it may be just me.

That moment in which she sees Kousuke, and Kaho dying right in front of her, unable to prevent it because of her previous poor choices, always gets me. Chiaki going back in time to save them erased this memory, and she won't have to live with it, but it must have been awful, and a terrible sight.
Dec 23, 2018 11:55 PM

May 2014
Really good movie. If it ended with
, this would have been a 9/10 film for me at least. Somehow, the way it ended here felt slightly like a cop-out. Not bad by any means, but less impactful. 8/10 for me.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 16, 2019 9:22 PM

Jul 2011
One of the most disappointing movies I've seen in the past few years. Overrated pile of shit, I can't believe I even managed to sit through the entire thing.
Feb 26, 2019 2:23 AM
Dec 2018
That ending had me bawling. Overall a great anime movie that could watch over and over again
Feb 26, 2019 2:25 AM
Dec 2018
Mashta said:
One of the most disappointing movies I've seen in the past few years. Overrated pile of shit, I can't believe I even managed to sit through the entire thing.
Do you mind actually explaining why you think its trash rather than just saying *i hate it*
Apr 6, 2019 6:02 AM
Apr 2019
Keldeowarrior said:
Do you mind actually explaining why you think its trash rather than just saying *i hate it*

I sure hope they do. I loved the Movie, finally watched it after 2 years of keeping it in PTW, wish I had seen this sooner. Rating 10/10 because I'm too generous (I cried goddamit!)
May 18, 2019 8:59 PM
Mar 2019
thE ENDING MAKES ME SUPER FRUSTRATED OMG YALL I-
May 19, 2019 5:46 AM

Jan 2013
So...
This was pretty darn mediocre. Not at all what I expected. A good reminder to never believe even the slightest amount of hype.
Jun 23, 2019 9:54 AM

Sep 2018
It is not by chance one of Mamoru Hosoda's best films, therefore, every time I see it again, I am satisfied with what this film can convey to me. The protagonist can be counted among the best in the female panorama without a shadow of a doubt. The narration flows without problems and almost does not notice the past time. Beautiful backgrounds and even the soundtrack.

9/10 for me.
Mar 8, 2020 11:03 AM

Nov 2019
Good movie but the story is average. 7/10
Jun 29, 2020 6:23 PM

Mar 2016
i enjoyed the movie a lot for the most part! basic characters, story and lackluster ending unfortunately :)

Aug 24, 2020 5:00 AM

May 2016
This film definitely wasn't how I expected it to be from the look of the poster but it was a very engaging, amusing, and intense ride. The casual comedic interactions between characters and Makoto being a massive goofball who surprisingly hasn't had brain damage from all of those hits to the head were really funny while the more intense and dramatic scenes succeeded in making me feel very tense.

Even though she used her incredibly handy ability for really dumb reasons most of the time, it's very understandable on why she took just a strange power for granted and I really felt bad for her when she started to realize that what she's doing had a very big impact to those around her. I'm glad that Chiaki was able to help her out and give her a chance to fix her mistakes one more time. There are a lot of questions left unanswered about the movie but I'll leave it at that since time travel's complicated as hell and I'd rather not think about how everyone's coping in all those timelines Makoto ditched all of a sudden after she screws up.

Kousuke sounded way too much like Pirate Hunter Zoro lulz

Aug 31, 2020 3:16 PM

Apr 2020
Faust721 said:
This was a great movie. It definitely deserves to be considered the best movie of 2006. So all of you who havent seen it should. It is a good watch while waiting for 5cm per Second.

is this anime worth watching?
Sep 5, 2020 9:08 PM

Feb 2016
Shirase-san said:
Faust721 said:
This was a great movie. It definitely deserves to be considered the best movie of 2006. So all of you who havent seen it should. It is a good watch while waiting for 5cm per Second.

The whole thread, 16 pages basically says, it's worth watching. I mean, why wouldn't it be. It's a movie, it's by a good studio, madhouse has a reputation, it had an amazingly high mean score, and, the viewers love it. Do you have any other reason not to call it worth watching? I mean, I re watched it today, if you haven't, you can atleast watch it, that's is, if you haven't up till now, given I'm replying 6 days later. And sorry I won't be able to take my words back if you have watched it cause unlike Makoto, I can't time leap. :(
Dec 18, 2020 10:52 PM

Aug 2018
That was a good watch. Starts slow and constantly builds. Makato is a real sweetheart, but still in the process of growing up.
Dec 19, 2020 5:00 AM

Sep 2012
Didn't make much sense. Quite shallow (maybe it would be more fair to say that it had intimate/narrow scope of its themes), but definitely well made. Running scene in relation to panning frame was clever direction. I knew it won't be my cup of tea, but was still entertaining. Emotionally coherent (even if cheap at times), intellectually void. Didn't hate it.
Positive rating, either 5 or 6.
Apr 2, 2021 12:33 PM

Apr 2020
Well, I finally watched it .... I didn't feel good in the first half, but then it really surprised me!
A really awesome story about time leap!
The ending was great too!

9/10
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

May 2, 2021 5:16 PM

May 2014
I have a mixed feeling about this movie. In terms of plot, it was interesting and enjoyable. Nevertheless, it left many unanswered questions like Chiaki past, era and the purpose of time leaps and the painting. Many questions would be satisfactory if they were answered very shortly. However, I liked the end. Makoto with a resolution of waiting on Chiaki. I am dissatisfied she or he didn't confess. That was a bit sad, but it was obvious from both sides they liked each other.

A great story building. Very interesting how Makoto changed throughout the movie. The art was okay, I guess, nothing special. The OSTs, on the other hand, were great.

All in all, a good movie, but it has missed elements and higher potential than how it was made. It left the viewers with many unanswered questions, which force you to read the manga for further information and answers to many questions the viewer may wonder about. Despite that, it was an enjoyable movie. So, I will give it a fair 7/9.
May 2, 2021 5:31 PM

May 2014
Keldeowarrior said:
Mashta said:

I didn't hate tbh., but it left the viewer with many unanswered questions that may "force" you to read the manga to find out (or from what I have heard).
Jun 8, 2021 7:10 AM
Jul 2019
excellent movie of grade 10 oy I really liked it but I sincerely hope to meet in the future in this movie Too bad it didn't happen that way. Thanks to the Translation Team.
Jul 13, 2021 8:25 PM

May 2020
Watching this after reading the original Girl Who Leapt Through Time novel is pretty interesting. It’s a shame Kazuko never met Kazuo again and that’s probably what’s going to happen to Chiaki and Makoto.

Overall, I liked this. A pretty good main character and a decent side cast make this movie pretty enjoyable.
Oct 5, 2021 3:31 AM

Apr 2020
This movie was very good.

In my opinion, Makoto has an interesting personality, a bit of a tomboy but she's also cute.

At first I didn't know how she set the date to the past, but I finally understood, the further she jumped, the further she went back in time.

The plot twist is quite shocking, I mean no one thought that Chiaki was from the future.
I think the scene when Chiaki returns to the future is not that sad.

overall 8/10
Oct 5, 2021 3:37 AM

Apr 2020
SatsugaiDeAtsu said:
Shirase-san said:

The whole thread, 16 pages basically says, it's worth watching. I mean, why wouldn't it be. It's a movie, it's by a good studio, madhouse has a reputation, it had an amazingly high mean score, and, the viewers love it. Do you have any other reason not to call it worth watching? I mean, I re watched it today, if you haven't, you can atleast watch it, that's is, if you haven't up till now, given I'm replying 6 days later. And sorry I won't be able to take my words back if you have watched it cause unlike Makoto, I can't time leap. :(

I just realized that someone was quoting my discussion, I didn't realize it at the time.

Yeah, I watched the movie today, and it was really good, why did I think so many times just to watch this, lmao.
Oct 5, 2021 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
Kaiseki said:
SatsugaiDeAtsu said:

I just realized that someone was quoting my discussion, I didn't realize it at the time.

Yeah, I watched the movie today, and it was really good, why did I think so many times just to watch this, lmao.

no worries mate, im glad you actually watched and enjoyed it !!
Oct 17, 2021 11:29 AM

Jul 2019
2nd time watching. Was another one of local anime society airing. Great movie for sure. I liked how I could actually connect the different things together other than blindly sitting through the entire thing with little concentration.

Was an interesting fable in that one shouldn't use time as a means to bend reality because it will always come back to bite one. The romance here was better than when I first watched this too. Idk what I was doing the first time around.

Anyways, loved this movie for sure. Well worth the rewatch.
NextUniverseOct 17, 2021 11:37 AM
Jan 2, 2022 7:52 AM

Aug 2020
Well, that was a light and simple time travel movie. Nothing heavy. I mean, it is a G-rated show, so it makes sense why.

Since the bicycle breaks didn't work, why couldn't they just side off the bike?

I'm seeing theories that Makoto and Makoto's aunt is the same person. Seems interesting. But if that was the case, it would be a plothole in itself.

A fun anime to watch, but that's about it. Nothing too heavy on the time travel aspect, and that's the point. Overall a 6 to a 7 out of 10.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Apr 25, 2022 6:05 PM
Nov 2021
@jachin_thebox ik you liked time travel anime. should def watch this.
SawsyMikeyApr 25, 2022 6:23 PM
May 30, 2022 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
I really, really liked this one. The theme was time travel, and I want time travel to be real, and to meet a time traveler, so that made me super happy. The final scene with Chiaki and the main girl was really emotional. He is a time traveler and she’s stuck in a time loop, and she loves him vice versa, but they can’t be together (which is probably for the best hehe), so they say good bye one last time, and I was on the verge of tears, and did my best to hold it in, but I finally recovered. The problem was the main girl, I don’t know, she kinda annoyed me, sometimes I liked her, but most of the time I found her annoying and a bit selfish, etc. I feel bad for Yuri, her best friend and my favorite character. She is the definition of a sweetheart, but she and Chiaki couldn’t keep dating because of the loop and the main girl. Though, I am glad that Kaho and Kousuke seem to be progressing quite well.
Jul 9, 2022 11:37 AM
Nov 2020
Wow wasn't expecting him to be from the future. Such an interesting movie, great ending!
Jul 17, 2022 3:22 PM

Mar 2016
I have obviously been wanting to watch this much-recommended show for literally many many years and yet I have only decided to watch it now. Time is a funny thing huh... Well, not so much for those who manipulate time for their own best interest.

The concept of time manipulation, be it through universal alteration of time or simply by leaping or travelling through time, has been a long and thought of the idea for many stories. This story in particular used the same theory as a plot device with an eccentric main heroine being our main character of the story. What differs from this show compared to many like this is how much more simple and more humble this is. It isn't a story to save the world, nor is it a story to halt the encroaching destruction of the world and mankind. It's more down-to-earth and relevant to a high school girl confused about what to do in her life.

I like it, it's ultimately a charming story of Makoto finding her true feelings and her goals for her life, though obviously, the ending ended with a bittersweet taste...
The ending song actually explains a lot of what became of Chiaki's and Makoto's relationship, it mentions that "Even if one day I'll fall in love with someone else --- You will be always special and dear to me" This indicates that Makoto and Chiaki will never ever meet again. In fact, Makoto would almost likely be in love and married to another man in the future when Makoto is an adult. It's kind of like how a girl could have a boyfriend in high school and in the future she married someone else, yet still does remember and treasure the past memories she had of her first love.
Obviously, the era where Chiaki originated is centuries or even millennia away from 2006 where the present Makoto is.

Ultimately what Chiaki meant by "I'll be waiting for you in the future" is Makoto's promise to maintain that painting so that Chiaki could see it in person in the future. The song at 1:20:13 mentions; "Some thoughts can cross the time" I believe that the maintained preservation of the painting is exactly the one and only thing that will physically connect the present Makoto to the future Chiaki and through that painting, their feelings and thoughts are connected, even if time were to separate them forever. It's like how you could appreciate an item given to you by a deceased relative. They may not be here anymore, but your attachment to them can be reciprocated through said items.

As I said, it's a bittersweet ending, Makoto and Chiaki will never be reunited ever again, but at least they both got something to remember one another by, the painting... Aside from that, there are far too many plot points or questions left unanswered, but considering that this movie is now 16 years old by the time I'm typing this, I digressed...

A couple of nice soundtracks, heartwarming characters, decent art style and lovely animation, really enjoyable.
Jul 24, 2022 10:30 PM

May 2015
This was pretty bland.
For all the recognition this movie has, I was expecting a lot more tbh. I guess nothing can top Steins;Gate when it comes to time travel.
I liked Mirai, Wolf Children and Belle more than this.
Aug 20, 2022 4:17 AM
Jul 2021
it was very nice. yup
Potato_SodaDec 20, 2022 3:54 AM
Aug 26, 2022 2:12 PM

Aug 2022
I laughed a lot at the bit where she gets back home and tells her mum how long she was at karaoake XD

I thought this movie was an excellent watch! Great animation/artwork, the characters were all likeable, the story and events were well thought out. There was some good humour throughout the movie and the dramatic bits really had you going "Holy crap!" XD
The ending made me really tear up too, although I would have hoped to see Chiaki coming back the moment he left to stay, rather than to tell Makoto they're going to meet again when she's probably 90 or something in the future...

Nonetheless, it was an excellent watch and I highly recommend it to everyone! It got 9/10 from me!
Aug 28, 2022 5:47 PM
Apr 2021
thickened neck man top man
Oct 30, 2022 5:01 AM
Oct 2022
this movie made me cry and made me feel in all possible ways, sad, nervous, happy and confused. But I recommend it with pleasure <3
Dec 28, 2022 7:51 AM

Jan 2008
This movie is incredibly underrated on here.

Mamoru Hosoda's best work and a masterpiece of a flim, imo. 10/10
(Only Wolf Children comes close - yes, I think it is better than Summer Wars and his other films).
Jan 19, 2023 2:10 AM

Oct 2021
really good movie but was hoping to see more... there are some moments which don't make sense and some unexplained things as well. 7-8/10
Jan 21, 2023 10:46 AM
Nov 2021
everything must have a big price
Feb 20, 2023 12:24 AM

Aug 2014
This movie was ok for me, but I can see why so many people loved it. 

I liked how energetic the female MC was. I also loved her facial reactions, especially when the red-hair-time-travel-guy confessed to her; her facial reaction in that scene was awesome, haha.  It was the typical "WTH DUDE!!! You and me are friends!!! DONT SCREW THIS UP WITH ROMANCE!!" hahahaha

But I found most other characters in this movie to be either bland or too shoujo-ish. 

And I guess this is just me with time-traveling anime, in that I rarely enjoy them since seeing the same scenes over and over can bored me. 

But again, this movie might not be for me, but I have no problem with the score it was on MAL as of the date of this comment (8.12)
Apr 1, 2023 6:41 AM

Dec 2009
I originally immaturely gave it a perfect 10/10 on Feb 20, 2011 and later June 21, 2016.
I am very fond of this movie and somehow thought I watched it more than two times, but surprisingly this is only the third.

Today, my score is an 8/10, but I think it may deserve a 7/10 for its simplicity of the main genre being about romance, along with the unanswered questions leading to its ending.

As much as I love it, I now realize it's surprisingly simple on the surface as a story.
A teenage girl realizes her love for a guy who loves her.
Except, he's a time traveler. Who simply wanted to look at a beautiful painting to inspire him at his similar time of war and famine in the future, just like when that painting was done in the past.

In a few months of school after transfering, he became best friends with her, and another guy.
Having fun, falling in love, he kept waiting for that painting... which later gets fixed by her aunt at the museum, but he seemingly never sees it because he returns before he could.

Funnily, the story revolves a bit around a misunderstood love triangle.
The other guy Kousuke rejects a girl Kaho who has a crush on him, because he claims to not want to leave Makoto alone... as if he possibly likes her as well.
Regardless, Makoto's friend, Yuri likes the time traveler Chiaki.

During her jealousy after Chiaki confesses to Makoto, of which she neglects by going to the past, he then gets closer to Yuri while she was avoiding him, which slowly develops her own feelings for him.

Originally, at the start of the story, she would have died, but fortunately, she stumbled upon Chiaki's time travel walnut-like ball that inserts time travel energy into the user, with a certain limit amount.

Exposed to such power, she abuses it to her joy and advantage by eating whatever she wants, acing math, singing for ten hours at karaoke, avoiding her misfortunes of that day, and running away from Chiaki's confession afterwards.

Until she uses all of her time travel leaps.
Forgetting that her bike's breaks were broken, when Kousuke borrowed it after helping Kaho ... which leads to them dying like she did,
but Chiaki saves them, with his own last time leap.

He reveals to her his identity, his goal, and the broken rule of exposing himself and the time leap to the past which forces him to travel back to his time.

When he leaves, Makoto is heart broken.
After a while, she realizes that she got one time leap back, because he time leaped before she used her last when he saved Kousuke and Kaho.
Thus, she goes back as far as she can, to a time where he's still present, and tells him she knows everything.
Now that he's exposed once more, he must leave.
Frustrated by his last message advice to face forward what she's running towards (expecting a confession) she sobs. Him, turning back, he hugs her close, and tells him "I'll be waiting for you".

... It's bittersweet, yet odd for its flaws of unanswered questions.

Her aunt had a guy in senior high school who she loved mutually but vanished. A time traveler as well. Which is why she's so accepting of seriously listening to her niece's stories of time leaping.
That's fine, but I just learned that she's supposed to be the same protagonist of the original novel of 1967, while this anime is a spin-off sequel,
where similar to Makoto, she fell in love with the time traveler, but he erased her memories for the most part.

What's peculiar is Chiaki's claim of seeing Makoto again, and the unknown fact of what time he's from.
Like the novel, we could assume he's from 600 years into the future, but if he wasn't lying, a few decades could make sense, but as many believe, he probably lied... but why.

Ultimately, it's bittersweet and simplistic in plots, but the journey is still very entertaining.
I still did not watch the original Japanese sub because the realistic voices of the cast sound ugly and mediocre in their acting compared to the fairly good voice acting of the English Dub.
Jul 7, 2023 7:49 PM
Mar 2015
It was a good watch
Sep 2, 2023 9:19 PM

Jul 2016
Was honestly expecting more from this movie. Especially considering it won some awards and all that.

Lots of unanswered questions regarding Chiaki's background as well as his connection with the painting and the device he used for time-travel, Makoto as MC wasn't really of my liking given she kept fooling around despite having already witnessed the consequences of her careless time-leaps and man did that third act feel shallow and forced asf.
Chiaki being from the future came out of nowhere and the fact of him returning to his era without having seen the damn painting nor having confessed to Makoto was almost laughable as a movie ending. Like, did he really have to return to his era immediately after Makoto gave him his device? I mean, he only needed to wait a couple of weeks at best for the painting to be restored and he already spent THREE whole years with Makoto and Kousuke so...

5/10 - Also, what's the deal with Makoto's aunt? It seemed like she had quite the backstory to tell yet the movie totally ignored the fact of her being so... understandable of Makoto's surreal situation.
Sep 29, 2023 9:24 AM

Jul 2020
jeez what a snooze fest
the plot is totally incoherent, the characters aren't likable, the only character who might have been interesting - Makoto's aunt - had next to zero development
0 emotions from this movie. it wasn't horrible, just sooooo bland it's miserable
6/10
Oct 26, 2023 1:01 PM

Jun 2017
Surprised to find this has so many positive reviews.Messy hotchpotch of a story which doesnt have groundwork nor for the characters who couldnt break out of the npc shell.6/10 at best
Jan 27, 1:12 AM
Jan 2024
Feb 16, 3:22 AM

Aug 2020
After my fifth re-watch this movie still gets me teary at the end. Holds up so well.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »

More topics from this board

» plot hole

Algazero - Nov 10, 2010

18 by Khashishi »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:15 PM

» The Painting

itz_lelouch - Mar 12, 2023

5 by waalex11 »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:42 AM

» Awkward/Funny Scene

Rand_al-Thorfinn - Aug 26, 2022

5 by omen- »»
Sep 13, 2022 4:19 AM

» When is Chiaki actually from

iamhim - Nov 9, 2020

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Aug 1, 2022 12:31 AM

» Makoto = the aunt? ( 1 2 )

Zenoxio - Sep 23, 2008

57 by removed-user »»
Aug 9, 2021 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.