Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 22, 2016 2:53 PM
Sep 2015
I like the ones that are subtle with hints. Those that are more than friends but less than lovers. Eg: lucy x natsu and ichigo x rukia. I dont like the ones with too much drama and stupid teenagers spending episodes solely on deciding if they want to confess.
Apr 22, 2016 3:03 PM
Feb 2015
Yep being the Hopeless romantic I am, the Romance in my anime has to be the primary focus. I like the type of romance that is portrayed in Fushigi Yuugi where the strong and pure love of Miaka & Tamahome is what saved the world and summon the God Suzaku. Or same goes for Usagi and Mamoru there love creates so may new powers for Sailor Moon and saves the world <3

I like cheesy loving dubby ones as well but the type of Romance that makes me fangirl the most are the ones from Fushigi Yuugi and Sailor Moon. Where depending how strong your love is for your partner it will determine if you save the world or not <3
Apr 22, 2016 7:16 PM

Jul 2015
I like romance only when it's building up--I don't like it when things become mushy that there's no excitement.

I like dramatic scenes, where everything is beautiful and sometimes even sad.

And I like those cute romance scenes where it makes you say, "Awwwwww!"
Lies. Lies. Lies.Lies. Lies. Lies.
Apr 22, 2016 7:28 PM
Oct 2014
I generally don't like romance for its own sake. However, romance that's the driving force behind a story is fine if I like the story itself.

For instance, if a princess is captured by a dragon and the brave knight who loves her goes off to slay the dragon and rescue her, I like that.

It can also make a good subplot. It helps to make the characters human and give you a reason to want them to succeed. A totally asexual hero is fine, but I also like to see him get the girl.

And once in a while, I'll enjoy a romance for its own sake. This is usually the case when the characters are so likable that the plot really doesn't matter, and the romance is simply a way for the story to progress to tell us when it's over. When the hero and heroine end up together, that's a satisfying resolution, and a way for the show to end on a high note.

And because I'm an unashamed pervert, I also like a romance if it leads to a bunch of ecchi situations and perverted jokes. Give me the most generic ecchi harem comedy and shove boobs in my face every five minutes, and I'm happy.
Apr 22, 2016 11:35 PM

Oct 2014
Not relevant as long as it's well handled and not boring.

But yeah don't like cliches with a lot of blushing and stories with alot of fluff

Apr 22, 2016 11:37 PM

Feb 2015
TitanAnteus said:
So, I'm reading manga and watching anime as a 14 year old boy and I come to a realization.

I really like romance in my anime. I liked the romantic subplot of YuYu Hakusho. I watched Sailor Moon and enjoyed the whole Tuxedo Max and Usagi thing, and so I watch more.

Then I watch shows where the main aspect of the show is romance and they're REALLY hit or miss. Like holy shit, some are absolutely disgusting and others are... Amagami XD.

To be honest, I don't really like too many anime with no romantic subplot or romance I can't empathize with. I think it's why I liked Code Geass more than Gundam 00. I think it's why I liked Eureka 7 over Bounen no Xam'd, and I think I've found a balance for myself.

Still... I'm curious about you guys.

How much romance do you guys like in your anime? Do you guys like the romance being the primary focus? Do you guys not really care if there's none in there?

If there's a specific show that balanced the romance with the rest of the show extremely well please talk about it. For me Junketsu no Maria did it best.
I enjoy all of them from time to time except for entirely comedic romance but I would say serious romance is the best!!!.
Apr 23, 2016 1:16 AM

Dec 2015
I like several ways manga incorporate romance, everything depends of what is happening around it:
- when the manga focuses on the relationship like Saikano (we mainly share the male teenager point-of-view, a lot of people find the characters, story and "forced drama" terrible but I love almost everything in it)
- when the romance is simply a background element who sometimes comes forth like GALS! about the pastimes of... girls, including love interests. This example even shows different situations.
- when the romance is used as a trigger for various comedic/dramatic/thrilling events: Lamu, Ranma, Orange Road (by the way, would the Nisekoi manga be a good substitute to KOR?), DNA²
- when it is a "red line" in the story: Inuyasha, Sailor Moon.
- when it is already established, and you follow the daily-life of a (not teenage) couple (I said that, but no example actually comes to my mind ^^")

I forgot another one I liked: Ryûji (Danma) and Ayumi in Shônan Junai Gumi (if an aborted romance counts). I suppose I could list this as a new entry:
- when it is a momentary sub-plot
Rei_IIIApr 23, 2016 1:29 AM
Apr 23, 2016 2:36 AM

Oct 2013
Apr 23, 2016 6:00 AM

Sep 2015
I was a fan of sappy romances until I got bored with the cliche.
I like slice of life as the main genre, then some extent romance could play in the story. The thing with romance is that there is a chance of heavy drama that could be put in the story, and I'll be reluctant to read it.
Apr 23, 2016 7:01 AM

Jan 2016
I like it light romance is always a good addition in my opinion and if it's heavy romance I wouldn't mind much but prefer it light soo that's me
Apr 23, 2016 8:19 AM

Apr 2016
not every anime needs romance, but its my favorite genre
though i dont care about romance if the characters dont have sex in the anime/manga/vn. i dont need to see the scene, but there should be an implication that they did it
Apr 23, 2016 8:55 AM
Dec 2015
I love anime romance in every levels even the extreme one like yaoi, but i prefer twisted love story, i think Durarara!! is twited love story which so well written and well developed. Even at the first time i dont think Durarara is love story. Hehe
Apr 23, 2016 9:59 AM

Mar 2008
I like romantic subplots, like the kind that builds up over time - it is noticeable, but never too much... usually when an anime/manga only focuses on romance it gets boring for me, there are exceptions of course but yeah. I'm also a big fan of either really tragic endings or very happy ones. I just like closure :D
So I definitely agree with you, OP
Apr 23, 2016 10:03 AM

Apr 2016
I like romance and would prefer it over none, don't care if its primary or secondary.

However i fully understand why it isn't in certain shows, especially the horror genre.
Apr 23, 2016 3:08 PM

Jun 2015
Hmm I like romance anime a lot I think I prefer 1-6 from school days the most.
and then..... it became a heartbreak to me -cries-
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 23, 2016 3:47 PM

Nov 2008
Askorti said:
Tentology said:

I do agree that having actual romance is better than two people being clueless, i.e Nisekoi (which I did mention to be infinitely annoying) so in a way, SAO romance is better than Nisekoi and the likes.

However, if you talk about the journey being what matters, then the SAO relationship didn't really have a journey in the first place. Why? They met, they feel in love, they do stuffs together, they think about one another and that's about it. They were flawless, complemented one another from the very beginning, they didn't have to work anything out throughout the series. There's no progress, no journey of trials and tribulation for us to wonder about.

Also, not every "couple" actually becomes a couple at the end. 5cm/s, Erased Satoru x Kayo, etc... Just saiyan

Wouldn't you say that it's a nice breath of fresh air? It's nice to see a relationship that actually works, not something like in Zero no Tsukaima where the relationship is... Abusive to say the least.
Also, didn't have to work anything out? I would say that coping with being stuck in a death game, with each boss fight being a huge risk is quite something to work out, especially at the end, where Kirito was pretty desperate to keep Asuna alive.
Later he was completely focused on breaking her out. That's quite something to work through and not give up. Later Asuna had to deal with Kirito potentially risking his life again in GGO and the fact that her family didn't approve of him and tried to get her engaged to someone again.
And now, in the novels we have A LOT of drama surrounding them. Just because they're perfect for each other doesn't mean that their relationship is fee of worry.

My general point is, that it's really nice to see a relationship that is actually there, with both parties showing affection for each other instead of being all shy about it and there NOT being constant issues with them.
Because lets be honest, many of the anime relationships would've never worked if the "anime world" was at least a tiny bit more similar to the real world.

HELL YES, KiritoxAsuna was a major breath of fresh air!!

I've joked about these two teaching other characters "Romance 101". I love how freaking open and honest they are with each other. I love how they didn't constantly fight or physically/ emotionally abuse one another. I loved how they fully respected each other and treated each other like equals.
I loved how they confided in each other and could show weakness to each other instead of hiding it. I loved how they never ever lost faith in each other and go all out to protect/find each other again.

I loved loved LOVED it.

Apr 23, 2016 4:27 PM

Jan 2011
TitanAnteus said:
So, I'm reading manga and watching anime as a 14 year old boy and I come to a realization.

I really like romance in my anime. I liked the romantic subplot of YuYu Hakusho. I watched Sailor Moon and enjoyed the whole Tuxedo Max and Usagi thing, and so I watch more.

Then I watch shows where the main aspect of the show is romance and they're REALLY hit or miss. Like holy shit, some are absolutely disgusting and others are... Amagami XD.

To be honest, I don't really like too many anime with no romantic subplot or romance I can't empathize with. I think it's why I liked Code Geass more than Gundam 00. I think it's why I liked Eureka 7 over Bounen no Xam'd, and I think I've found a balance for myself.

How much romance do you guys like in your anime? Do you guys like the romance being the primary focus? Do you guys not really care if there's none in there?

If there's a specific show that balanced the romance with the rest of the show extremely well please talk about it. For me Junketsu no Maria did it best.

You're 14 and enjoyed Code Geass more than Gundam 00, you're better than me, I could not even get past the first few episodes of Gundam 00 when I first tried watching it but then I revisited it 2 years later. Now it's one of my favorite anime, while Code just remains a really "entertaining" one and I give a lot of credit to that too. A lot of my enjoyment for code geass was also due to the romance aspect, and it wasn't even that great.

Eureka 7 is different though, it was actually good romance, unlike Code Geass where it was just an element that was thrown in there to enhance the experience. So definitely keep in mind the quality of romance.

I'm not saying that romance means undeveloped taste, maybe it's simply your age, and you're too focused on romance, all I advise you is to keep an open mind, or maybe wait a few years and revisit the same anime to see how your views have changed.
Apr 23, 2016 4:31 PM

Feb 2016
TitanAnteus said:
BatoKusanagi said:

I like both. I enjoy my Ano Natsu de Matterus as much as I enjoy my Blue Seeds or eve Z Gundam.

Romeo X Juliet I'd say. Though it takes tons of liberties from the original, it's still Romeo and Juliet, but also a pretty damn good action show.

Romeo X Juliet?
Wasn't that show terribly received when it was airing?

You don't think the romance was there just because it's supposed to be a Romeo and Juliet adaptation?

Romeo x Juliet was only terrible while it was airing because the Japanese don't know about Shakespeare too well, and all the Americans that did watch it were like "oMG!! THIS IS NOT ROMEO AND JULIT!!!211! HOW DARE THEY NOT FOLLOW THE ORIGINAL STORYLinE!!>!??"

Anyways. I endearingly recommend you to watch Romeo x Juliet since it does balance the romance and action well. I've read both the original play and watched the anime, and I loved the anime much more. Also, there is not romance just for the sake of having romance; it intertwines with the plot and the fact that Romeo and Juliet are together pushes other characters' developments (though it isn't apparent until maybe 3/4 of the way into the anime where everything starts to connect and you're in awe of how much the plot was brilliantly designed, and how the romance actually plays a good part). The plot and action is interesting enough to keep you interested, but if it's not your cup of tea, then there's always the romance between Romeo and Juliet, which I believe to be much cuter and better written than how the romance played out in the original play. And any man who says he did not squeal, much less feel butterflies in his stomach from the adorableness that is Romeo x Juliet's romance, then he is a liar.
Apr 23, 2016 5:09 PM

Jan 2013
ShiroiMuffler said:
TitanAnteus said:

You're 14 and enjoyed Code Geass more than Gundam 00, you're better than me, I could not even get past the first few episodes of Gundam 00 when I first tried watching it but then I revisited it 2 years later. Now it's one of my favorite anime, while Code just remains a really "entertaining" one and I give a lot of credit to that too. A lot of my enjoyment for code geass was also due to the romance aspect, and it wasn't even that great.

Eureka 7 is different though, it was actually good romance, unlike Code Geass where it was just an element that was thrown in there to enhance the experience. So definitely keep in mind the quality of romance.

I'm not saying that romance means undeveloped taste, maybe it's simply your age, and you're too focused on romance, all I advise you is to keep an open mind, or maybe wait a few years and revisit the same anime to see how your views have changed.

Oh I'm not 14. I realized I like romance when I was 14.
Apr 23, 2016 5:15 PM

Apr 2011
FULL ROMCANCE tHROHHTTLEË laomaooOOOOOOOO
Apr 23, 2016 6:42 PM

Sep 2012
Huge fan of a nice straight romance especially if it goes all the way, but it's nice even in small amounts. It's probably most of what I enjoy watching.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2016 10:17 PM

Feb 2013
I feel like the only thing that stops romance anime fans from playing eroge is because they can't read Japanese.

Eroge handles romance many times better than anime. If know at least some Japanese, then you should go change to eroge right away if you're looking for romance. There are stuff that assist you in reading if you know some Japanese. Complete beginners are out of luck.
Apr 24, 2016 3:05 AM

Dec 2015
I prefer if it is at least a bit realistic romance - if the show is romance focused. Meaning: Most shoujo romance is crap because there are some "forced misunderstandings" (normal people wouldn't behave that way - totally unrealistic) because they source material (usually manga) sold well and they had to extend it as long as possible. That can only happen if they prolong it and make it boring that way.

That's why I hate shoujo romance where after 12-24 episodes they only start kissing.

Much better if it is a normal show with just a little bit romance / only implied romance. Feels much better.

Edit: For example: Kimi no Todoke - I dropped it at like episode 10-12 of 1st season and I think it got even a 2nd season with 12 more episodes after it already had a 2-cour 1st season. Boring crap.

I liked Your Lie in April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso) because it felt more like focused on music/friendship and the characters and their problems (main and his mother) itself instead of romance.
Apr 24, 2016 10:03 AM

Nov 2008
Arcofdream said:
I feel like the only thing that stops romance anime fans from playing eroge is because they can't read Japanese.

Eroge handles romance many times better than anime. If know at least some Japanese, then you should go change to eroge right away if you're looking for romance. There are stuff that assist you in reading if you know some Japanese. Complete beginners are out of luck.

I found and bought the original Air game for Play Station 2. I can't play it because I don't have a Japanese Play Station 2. D:

I'm sad about this. lol

Apr 25, 2016 6:45 AM

Jun 2015
I prefer romantic comedy or somehow-there-is-a-drop-of-realistic-feel like tsubaki chou lonely planet. Tragic end is totally fine too.
Apr 25, 2016 7:26 AM

Oct 2013
I always expect romance in every anime I watch, and get disappointed after many of them :P
Good romance for me- good relationship between characters I like +kissing, hugging
Apr 25, 2016 11:19 AM

Aug 2013
I've seen anime where the romance is the main plot, but I think I actually prefer anime with romance as a subplot. Although I'm fine with anime that doesn't have any romance in it at all too.
Apr 25, 2016 4:15 PM
Nov 2015
I like dramatic romance, I hate Anime series which the boy/girl takes the whole god damn show to confess themselves, that just makes me angry xD
I only watch romance Anime series because of the drama, and that's the only reason actually :
Apr 26, 2016 6:45 PM

Sep 2012
I tend to prefer shows that focus solely on romance instead of ones that have it as a subplot, simply because I like to see the romance aspect take the spotlight and being freely developed. It can make for some really good character interactions if it's done well. On the other hand I feel like romance subplots will many times serve as a mere distraction of the whatever is the main plot, and that's why I always never care too much for them.
Apr 26, 2016 6:50 PM

Sep 2013
I either like romance only (although I don't watch many of those, I'm just not that into them) or no romance. It's pretty rare that I'll watch an anime for only romance, and I really don't like romantic subplot very much, unless it's cleverly worked in.
Jul 2, 2016 10:17 AM

Feb 2016
The one where there is still some place for a plot in between the romance. Like in steins gate even though it isn't tagged with this genre.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

21 by bucciest »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

40 by traed »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

131 by APolygons2 »»
22 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

1 by Serafos »»
36 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

33 by AverageRiceFan »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.