Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 15, 2016 12:05 PM

Jan 2014
Unlike anime, there's a million different ways just about just how one can read manga. Do you read it online, on the computer or on the phone, or maybe you like to read it old school with the book in your hand. Do you listen to music, if so what kind of music? Do you just read the text bubbles and browse through the pictures or do you take your time to let the images sink in?

I myself find it much easier to read manga with an actual copy in my hands, thing is it's expensive as fuck so I mostly read it on the net as the scrub I am. I really like to listen to music when reading, but only if it matches the mood of the manga. Hence I usually like to listen to different kinds of instrumental music or soundtracks from videogames or if there's an anime adoptation of the manga then I listen to that.

What about you guys?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2016 12:15 PM

Mar 2015
i really wish i can buy, read and keep mangas but the ones they sell in my country are ALL IN MANDARIN!!!!!!!!!!

I usually read my manga online using an app, whenever i'm outside, in the bus or anything, or before i sleep.
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Mar 15, 2016 2:16 PM
Mar 2016
I prefer to read mine in actual book format. I like reading in the quiet so I can really just let myself become lost in the story which usually means I read late at night after my kids are asleep. I read the text and usually linger kind of studying their expressions or details in the background. But you're definitely right that reading physical copies gets expensive so I try not to plow through a book too quickly.
Mar 15, 2016 2:20 PM

Dec 2015
I much prefer to read Manga when I have a physical copy of the book. But I do read it online sometimes as well. Because I can't really afford to buy every manga I want to read.

Mar 15, 2016 3:41 PM

Mar 2016
I like to read online since I don't have enough money to purchase the manga I want, and there's not many locations nearby I can purchase it from- shipping costs just add too much to make buying it online worthwhile.
But I definitely enjoy reading the physical manga too; often times the professional translation is better, especially if it's just recently been released. I enjoy having the whole volume in front of me and being able to easily flip through, bookmark, and revisit older parts without having to scroll for 20 minutes just to find a certain panel!
Sometimes, thought, the physical manga can be stressful to have; being able to read it in a physical copy is a special occasion for me, so I really work hard to keep my manga in tip top shape (not bending pages, leaving marks, creases, etc.) So I only like reading in my room and rarely take it with me when I'm travelling.
i like cute things!
Mar 15, 2016 3:44 PM

Dec 2015
Since none is available in my region I read them online, but I intend to buy the ones I like the most
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 15, 2016 7:03 PM
Nov 2015
With my eyes on the screen. Watching music would take me out of getting into the story.<
Mar 15, 2016 10:49 PM
Mar 2016
I read online off my laptop.. I generally use www.mymangaonline.us or www.mymanga.me

I read the manga online, and I buy each volume after I finish reading it online.
I do this with most manga, unless I'm not that big of a fan of the series or if the series is still new and hasn't been printed.

Music? Yes. I listen to music for everything, whether it's reading manga, studying or walking somewhere... I listen to metalcore.

Bands I listen to most are Beartooth, Silverstein and Every Time I Die.
Mar 16, 2016 12:31 AM

Dec 2011
My ideal place is in bed, right before I fall asleep, on mobile. It's therapeutic to unwind with a good story.
Mar 16, 2016 12:36 AM

Jan 2014
clem-ents said:

Sometimes, thought, the physical manga can be stressful to have; being able to read it in a physical copy is a special occasion for me, so I really work hard to keep my manga in tip top shape (not bending pages, leaving marks, creases, etc.) So I only like reading in my room and rarely take it with me when I'm travelling.

This is absolutely true for me aswell. I tend to be almost overly careful of my manga and also with stuff like videogames too.
Mar 16, 2016 12:39 AM

Jan 2014
gemver said:
I read the manga online, and I buy each volume after I finish reading it online.
I do this with most manga, unless I'm not that big of a fan of the series or if the series is still new and hasn't been printed.

Do you buy it just for your collections sake or do you like to re-read your manga a bunch of times? Also do you actually prefer to read it online or do you do it this way just so you don't buy any useless manga?
Mar 16, 2016 1:26 AM

Feb 2016
I read online currently, from my phone while laying in bed. Basically my 'R &R' time.

Manga Browser for Android

I'd probably collect physical whenever I move. My current situation, I don't really need more paper in my home for spiders and such to manifest. So I'll stick to digital for now. Aside from not really having necessary storage for all the manga books I'd end up collecting overtime.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Mar 16, 2016 6:17 AM
Mar 2016
Zirofol said:
gemver said:

Do you buy it just for your collections sake or do you like to re-read your manga a bunch of times? Also do you actually prefer to read it online or do you do it this way just so you don't buy any useless manga?

It's a bit of both. There's about 65% of my collection that I haven't read in physical form - just online. But then there's Toukyou Kushu which, despite reading it online already, I will read each volume as it comes in because I love it!! That's also the same for Akame Ga Kill!, Nanatsu no Taizai, Deadman Wonderland, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Hunter x Hunter and such...

I can't really decide which way I prefer reading manga. Reading paperback has definitely got that exciting aspect to it which appeals to me. However, like you mentioned, reading online does also have that 'trial' function of helping me evaluate where I'd like to be spending my money (since translated manga isn't cheap! Especially for a student!)
Mar 16, 2016 6:21 AM

Jul 2012
i do everything but i definitely prefer reading book over tablet over computer
Mar 16, 2016 6:36 AM

Jan 2015
Online or downloaded onto my phone so I can be ghetto and weabb while on trains, buses, class, etc.
Apr 10, 2016 6:02 PM

Dec 2013
I've been reading it on my phone all this time with the Pocket Manga app lmao (it's been discontinued but there's still ways to get it)
I always read before I go to sleep and when I'm on the bus especially and I listen to music at the same time sometimes?
Apr 10, 2016 6:49 PM

Feb 2014
I have no idea how anyone can read while listening to music, that shit is so distracting to me.
Apr 10, 2016 6:52 PM

May 2014
I only read physical copies unless it's something sexual. Usually read it on the sofa or while lying down on bed.
Apr 10, 2016 6:58 PM

Jul 2014
Download it and read it on my laptop.
Apr 10, 2016 6:58 PM

Mar 2016
If it weren't for the price I would buy soo much manga. but my cheap ass prefers to just read scanlations on my tablet, generally in a very hurried manner so as to read as much as possible as quickly as possible, which is honestly why I prefer manga to anime. I can go through several chapters very, very quickly and get through a story much easier than actually sitting down and watching something.

If I really, really like a manga I'll buy it because I love having a physical copy but... monies...
Apr 10, 2016 10:40 PM

Aug 2010
I usually read manga online but I'll probably start buying real copies soon. It's kinda hard to get manga in the area that I live in at the moment.

Apr 11, 2016 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
I'm used to books in a paper form
so almost all the manga I read are
bought by me as published, physical
comics in a normal book store.

Of course, before buying I usually
check whether I will or will not enjoy
a specific manga, by taking a look at
its one or two chapters on some online
manga readers, but reading this way regulary...
No, it's just not for me ;3

I prefer holding a book in my hands
than clicking page after page, for I can,
you know, feel the manga.
I can touch it, I can ehm... even smell it
& then I'm able to come back to the story
anytime I want to.
Not to mention the look of covers,
which often are very beautiful, so volumes
displayed on shelves present themselves
really wonderfully.

About my reading habits, hmmm...
For sure I can say, that although
I usually do everything accompanied
with music, reading manga is something
I like to do in a complete silence.
But in fact, when I'm absorbed
enough by a manga, there's no
problem for me to read while
going by train or sitting in
a crowded place C:
Apr 11, 2016 11:02 AM

Dec 2013
I'm always trying to read with my eyes but well it depends
Apr 11, 2016 12:56 PM

May 2010
I prefer an actual copy. I've been reading books all my life so with manga it's no different. When I read, I can't have music on - sound distracts me.

Since most of the manga I read is free because I borrow books from many libraries, I really don't have time to read scans at all.
Apr 13, 2016 7:24 AM

Feb 2016
I prefer a physical copy. I read the first chapter or volume online to see if I like it. If I do I usually buy a few volumes and read them over a weekend or so. Most of the time with a cup o' coffee! :3
Apr 13, 2016 11:10 AM
Mar 2016
I like having the actual book so I can i sit relax and read it :D but unfortunately in my country there isn't a large distribution of manga from the publishers so I use an app in my phone :$
May 11, 2016 7:46 AM

Oct 2014
I think everyone who reads manga and has owned a few volumes before would almost always prefer the psychical copy. But like most people, I am not rich...so yes I also read 90% of it online.

I'm a SUPER slow reader, I love looking at the art, and I'll play out the scenes in my head. If something is cool or funny I will keep reading it, I might screenshot a few things here and there. Overall I take my sweet sweet time. :)

But I'm not much of a music person. I'd find it annoying to keep changing the music to match the mood.
May 11, 2016 8:37 AM

Nov 2015
Even tho I prefer reading it on a book, I just download it and read it on my phone so if I need to go out I can still read it.
May 11, 2016 10:40 AM
Apr 2016
I would really prefer myself to read a hard copy of the manga series but due to financial constraints, I just read them online. I have an app in my phone that can download and stream a wide variety of manga. I don't listen to music because that would distract me for I like to focus on reading and absorbing the details/plot/etc in the series.
May 11, 2016 1:20 PM

May 2014
I try to buy manga but if I know I cant I just read online. Kissmanga on comp Zingbox on phone.
May 11, 2016 6:03 PM

Jan 2015
I have a horrible habit of "blind buying" manga. Well not completely blind, I usually read a synopsis first. Sometimes I read the first few chapters online, and if I like it I will buy the physical copies.

I will never read an entire series online though. Just isn't my thing!
When not on MAL, here is where you can find me:
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
May 11, 2016 7:04 PM

Apr 2016
I personally like to buy them, and it takes me over an hour to finish reading the volume the first time around so I can absorb everything (mostly the hot faces my husbands make) But if I'm broke or getting into a new series I'm not sure I'll like...I read them online but my computer is slow as molasses so it normally takes an hour to read one chapter online. Ah such as life, I am a broke scrub too my friend.
May 14, 2016 6:26 AM

Nov 2014
I preferred to read them in their physical appearance, but my country is a bit slow in publishing so I often read it first through an app on my phone. I like to collect things, and reading already become something like a second nature to me, so when the manga I read is published I'll buy it and reread it.
May 14, 2016 7:55 AM

Dec 2012
I read my manga on my pc/laptop cause they don't sell much here. I reaqd my Light novels on my phone.
May 14, 2016 8:30 AM

Aug 2014
I read them on my computer all the time, partly because I never use my phone in the first place anyway and because the only mangas being sold in stores here are the mainstream ones like Naruto.
May 14, 2016 8:58 AM

May 2016
I have to admit that I read most of them online, they are way too expensive for my financial situation and they take too much room if I keep them all forever.
My flat is small and I don't have enough free space for things I probably won't read a second time so I only buy special series with a high reread possibility.
A book is much nicer but too inconvenient, as sad as it is.
Background music is good for nearly everything but it's distracting when I read, at least if it's a Manga I really want to enjoy, so I only listen to ambient or something similar calm if it's a casual read.
I usually take my time while reading online but I can't bring myself to stop and look at something longer than a few seconds, no matter how good the art is it's just not as striking as it would be in book form. A lot of the pleasure gets lost when reading online.
I read the actual book quickly to see how the story progresses and then I read it again to appreciate the art, which for me is a big factor in terms of enjoyment – Manga is art and it's nice to experience it as such.
May 18, 2016 6:52 AM

Mar 2016
I mostly read through my phone in a manga reading app. I would like to read actual books since my school doesn't allow us to bring phones like dafuq but our local bookstore doesn't sell manga so I'm very disappointed.
May 18, 2016 7:38 AM

Jan 2014
I usually rent them or just read it online if it's not available online. When I start reading a manga series online, I don't go back and check if the books are available to order. It just ruins the flow.

"With all due respect, if you keep running your mouth, I'm gonna lose it."
May 22, 2016 2:59 AM

Feb 2015
Usually read them online but ever since my internet went off for like a week, i started torrenting manga, it's so much more convenient, i read it through an app called COMICS++ available in the microsoft store. Of course, if Manga were available in my country i'd buy it like i buy all the anime and comic books that i've read/watched.
May 22, 2016 3:14 AM
Feb 2014
Online (don't own 'em)
in bed (most comfy)
during night (best atmosphere)
on tablet (best device to read on, is the right shape, and it you feel more connected with the stuff you read/watch when you hold it, same how you feel more connected and happy when you actually draw something with a physical pencil instead of a digital)
May 22, 2016 11:05 AM
May 2016
I use my Kindle Fire with MangaSearcher. I don't really care about physical copies but I may buy a few for ones I really enjoy. I like binge reading in silence.
May 22, 2016 11:41 AM
May 2016
I simply can't buy all manga I want to read.
I have a few hard copies and I read those when I'm traveling and can't bring a device.
Besides that, I use an app on my Kindle and listen to Vocaloid and anime music (OSTs, Ops, etc)
It's my time for a small Japanese a "geek-out".
What is the question of if one lives to watch anime or if one watches anime to live?
They both mean that anime controls most of your life.

(Made this just to have a signature)
May 22, 2016 5:13 PM

Jun 2009
If I'm able to get it in book form, then I prefer it that way. But since that's incredibly hard for some series, I mostly read online via computer.
Net Content 19.6 FL. OZ. (580 ml)
May 23, 2016 2:13 AM

Jan 2016
Only began making a collection but I prefer the books. Feels much better for me personally and looks nice on display, makes me feel like I'm collecting again.
May 23, 2016 5:19 AM

May 2010
I prefer having translated book in my hand, but it's hard to afford all series I'm interested in ;_; So from time to time I also read scans online, on my laptop. Same thing with manga that are still coming out, I wouldn't be able to wait 3+ months to buy one volume, when I can read one chapter online per month or week

Lately I've been reading less and less online though, dunno why.
May 23, 2016 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
I really prefer having the actual physical thing, but that can be prohibitively expensive or translations might not even exist at all. So most of the time I usually download it to my computer and read it with Cdisplay. If I had a vertical monitor it would be pretty awesome.
May 23, 2016 1:31 PM

Oct 2015
I definitely buy manga when I can afford it.

Right now I'm reading certain series that are available on the phone app "Manga Rock" but I also read online as not everything is available on the app.

I own most of Yotsubato! in physical form and I have several other first and second volumes of manga that I read. I think my ex left me with a lot of his manga. I'm not sure yet, waiting to get my stuff out of storage... I think he left me Death Note and King of Hell among other books.
May 23, 2016 5:09 PM

Aug 2014
i read it through my monitor.. i take my time looking at the images... and text bubbles. i somtimes listen to music while reading manga.. but it has to match the manga's feel

id love to read it ''old school'' in my hands... but damm the currency difference.. and shiping days.. would take forever.. + am not in the postion to rly buy a manga yet... But some DAY..I WILLL.... BUY.. SOME OF THE MANGAS.. I READ.. AND FUTURE ONES.. [atleast i hope so... how can i repay the light... in my darkness.. which was manga&anime.. from my crual borring life]
TheDiabolicEsperMay 23, 2016 10:32 PM

May 23, 2016 6:41 PM

May 2016
I'd love to buy manga, but each issue is just so damn expensive! Especially when you usually blow through it in less than 5 minutes. So unless I'm working on collecting a series for the sake of fandom, I just read online.
May 23, 2016 6:46 PM

Dec 2015
I usually read manga online because it's too expensive to buy. If I do like the series then I'll buy it, but if im just randomly browsing a manga I'll just read it online for free.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
2 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
2 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.