Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2016 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
I'm 100% serious. Outside anime and manga, their film industry is utter shit. I just recently watched "Biri Girl", made in 2015. It was once again looking like strikingly low-budget and acting was cheap too. Then I look at modern Korean and Chinese movies, they are vastly superior to anything Japan seems to get out. Just two last year examples:
- Helios (China)
- Dog Eat Dog (Korea)

And then I tried watching "Iron Girl the Ultimate Weapon". Tits and violence aside, again extremely cheaply made. Both movie adaptions - SnK and Parasyte - were absolute shit. They even changed setting of SnK Movie because apparently can't afford to actually recreate SnK world so lol post-apocalypse with potato-girl meme repeated ad nauseum.

Anyone have explanation why their film industry is so crap?
removed-userJan 29, 2016 6:11 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 28, 2016 11:02 AM

Oct 2010
Iron girl the ultimate weapon sounds like high-quality and totally not exploitative.

I'm not too much into modern Japanese filmographies, but you may try with something that doesn't look like a cheap B-movie for once.
Jan 29, 2016 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:
Iron girl the ultimate weapon sounds like high-quality and totally not exploitative.

I'm not too much into modern Japanese filmographies, but you may try with something that doesn't look like a cheap B-movie for once.

That is exactly the point I was making: they all look and feel like cheap B-movies! Same applies to Japanese series. Movies that don't, such as Lesson of Evil, are incredibly rare. Feel free to recommend such movies instead of complaining that I'm looking at wrong kind of movies.
Jan 29, 2016 6:29 AM

Oct 2012
dariken said:
Lesson of Evil

not sure what exactly was good about that.
if you like high school kids getting murdered
you might like:
the world of kanako (I've seen this, pretty good)

Tag(haven't sen this, but it looks like battle royal with girls)

Jan 29, 2016 6:35 AM

Dec 2012
Why are you judging it based on manga adaptations?

Try confessions and Cold fish.
Jan 29, 2016 8:02 AM

Jan 2015
that iron girl the ultmate warrior was kind of b-movie class or exploitation movie imo(even the girl MC was well know AV actress), there're plenty of them made by japan for that kind of movie, and it's just kinf of movie for guilty pleasure....

many factor how quality of japanese movie was so low imo,
- sometimes they're too prolific in quantity, in the way lowering their quality, example one talented and experienced director like takashi miike, can make 3-4 shit movie in one year, and during this 5 year(2010-2015) only 13 assassin and harakiri: death of samurai was admire as good
- their industry too pragmatism, from one well known(though not so good) director ryuhei kitamura
ryuhei said:
q: Your first few films were very independently made. Did you feel a certain dissatisfaction with the structure of the Japanese film industry?

a: Until I made Versus I was so frustrated with Japanese films, because the industry didn't make entertainment movies anymore. It was always love stories, or family stories, or something about finding yourself. I don't deny them, they're okay, but there weren't any other options. Maybe there were a few edgy, violent movies, but nothing in the middle. The pure entertainment movies didn't exist until I made Versus. Especially action movies. Producers told me they couldn't make money with action movies, they felt Hollywood and Hong Kong were better at it than the Japanese. I disagreed and since no producers would back me up, I decided to make movies independently. I used my own money and took the risk of making Versus. Just because a producer won't support me doesn't mean I can't make films. I'll do whatever it takes to make my films. That's the difference between me and other directors.
http://www.midnighteye.com/interviews/ryuhei-kitamura/

- their talent(actor/actress) especially the popular one won't focus in one production only, because their agency will harvest them to the bone
- budget
- milking the franchise/adaptation without provide better script, cast sell-able talent only,

but there're still many awesome movie made by japanese, usually on film festival basis or not so high budget. take this name in director chair as consideration,
Sinya Tsukamoto, Takeshi Kitano, Takashi Miike, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Yoji Yamada, Yuya Ishii, Sion Sono, Katsuhito Ishii, Koki Mitani, Shinobu Yaguchi, Hirokazu Koreeda, Lee Sang-Il, tetsuya Nakashima

if you're looking 2015, watch Kabukicho Love Hotel, that so far was good j-movie for last year imo, Our little Sister also look good, but i'm not yet have chance to watch it

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 29, 2016 8:59 AM

Jan 2010
I never thought I would see a thread criticizing the film industry in Japan. I would agree with this thread that the Japanese film industry is somewhat weird and can't hold up to the standard found in Mainland China, and South Korean cinema.

Another issue I had with Japanese cinema is that many of their films don't get international release in USA, I mean read this article:

THE JAPANESE FILM INDUSTRY’S FOCUS ON THE DOMESTIC MARKET SPELLS DOOM

That does explain why Dramafever or Hulu don't have the latest recent release coming out from Japan when I can find a lot of Chinese and Korean films that came out for the last few years. I mean this explain why the live-action Thermae Romae never got a US release nor why I never seen this film on Dramafever or Hulu.

I believe Japanese actor, Yuki Furukawa has also openly criticized Japanese film/TV industry.

dariken said:
I'm 100% serious. Outside anime and manga, their film industry is utter shit. I just recently watched "Biri Girl", made in 2015. It was once again looking like strikingly low-budget and acting was cheap too. Then I look at modern Korean and Chinese movies, they are vastly superior to anything Japan seems to get out. Just two last year examples:
- Helios (China)
- Dog Eat Dog (Korea)

I can name more Korean films that seem to outdo any Japanese cinema in term of budget, production, and how it can hold candle to Hollywood. Find me a Japanese films that can outdo these:

I mean these Korean films above I mention, I don't see Japan not only making something like this. But as some people suggested on this thread. Many of the Japanese films coming out these day look low budget and Japanese not trying to rival Hollywood production.
mdo7Jan 29, 2016 9:36 AM
Jan 29, 2016 9:27 AM

Jan 2010
semss said:

many factor how quality of japanese movie was so low imo,
- sometimes they're too prolific in quantity, in the way lowering their quality, example one talented and experienced director like takashi miike, can make 3-4 shit movie in one year, and during this 5 year(2010-2015) only 13 assassin and harakiri: death of samurai was admire as good
- their industry too pragmatism, from one well known(though not so good) director ryuhei kitamura
ryuhei said:
q: Your first few films were very independently made. Did you feel a certain dissatisfaction with the structure of the Japanese film industry?

a: Until I made Versus I was so frustrated with Japanese films, because the industry didn't make entertainment movies anymore. It was always love stories, or family stories, or something about finding yourself. I don't deny them, they're okay, but there weren't any other options. Maybe there were a few edgy, violent movies, but nothing in the middle. The pure entertainment movies didn't exist until I made Versus. Especially action movies. Producers told me they couldn't make money with action movies, they felt Hollywood and Hong Kong were better at it than the Japanese. I disagreed and since no producers would back me up, I decided to make movies independently. I used my own money and took the risk of making Versus. Just because a producer won't support me doesn't mean I can't make films. I'll do whatever it takes to make my films. That's the difference between me and other directors.
http://www.midnighteye.com/interviews/ryuhei-kitamura/

- their talent(actor/actress) especially the popular one won't focus in one production only, because their agency will harvest them to the bone
- budget
- milking the franchise/adaptation without provide better script, cast sell-able talent only,

but there're still many awesome movie made by japanese, usually on film festival basis or not so high budget. take this name in director chair as consideration,
Sinya Tsukamoto, Takeshi Kitano, Takashi Miike, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Yoji Yamada, Yuya Ishii, Sion Sono, Katsuhito Ishii, Koki Mitani, Shinobu Yaguchi, Hirokazu Koreeda, Lee Sang-Il, tetsuya Nakashima

if you're looking 2015, watch Kabukicho Love Hotel, that so far was good j-movie for last year imo, Our little Sister also look good, but i'm not yet have chance to watch it

Glad you brought up Midnight Eye website (RIP). The reason that website is no longer active and I'll quote:

MidnightEye said:
The situation today is much less dynamic. Filmmaking in Japan has largely polarised, with very high budgets (by Japanese standards, i.e. US$ 10 million or a multiple of it) on the one extreme and no-budget indie (or amateur) filmmaking on the other. Films in the former category seek to emulate the Hollywood blockbuster formula and are produced by "film committees": consortia of production partners, the majority being television stations, advertising agencies and talent agencies rather than traditional film production companies. Each partner has a stake and a say in the filmmaking and the result more often than not literally comes across as something made by committee rather than artistic vision. It is a type of filmmaking that takes no chances: all the stories are based on hit properties (TV series, manga, novels) and the lead actors are pop musicians or TV talento, while the important share of media companies in the production committees is resulting in self-censorship and/or conservative political stances in line with the policies of Shinzo Abe’s government.

So yeah, it looks like some of dariken observation is not too far off.

And I'll add this from a Variety article:

Rayns echoed Kitano’s commentary about restrictiveness of mainstream Japanese cinema today. “The future of commercial cinema is in the hands of only a few companies. Opportunities for independents may become limited. But other channels will probably emerge [for new filmmaking voices], on the Internet, and through downloading.”

Asked to compare current Japanese cinema with that of Korea, Rayns drew a very unflattering portrait.

"Korea is very dynamic, it is undergoing social and political change. Its culture reflects that. Its films are rooted in change,” Rayns said. “In Japan I don’t see that. I see stasis. I still see same right wing politicians denying the existence of comfort women, the same old stuff we’ve heard for 20, 30 or 40 years. Until we see some challenge to the establishment [in Japan] I don’t think you will see the same dynamism as in Korean cinema.”

I think another article from Variety also kind of confirm the same issue with Japanese film industry: Self-Control is Killing Japanese Movie Prospects

and I'll quote from Variety:

Variety said:
The way that films are made in Japan may be to blame.

Most commercial films are produced by TV networks and other media companies in a system of “production committees” (or seisaku iinkai) in which partners share investment, PR and other chores in return for a share of the profits. Six or eight partners, ranging from video distributors to radio broadcasters and advertising agencies, is common. And 12 partners is not uncommon.

A lot of these so-called producers (on the production committee) are not film people and don’t know how to read a script,” adds Inoue. “In a film you can say a lot without words, but these guys don’t get that. And when they say ‘I don’t understand,’ someone has to add explanations to the script. The film becomes longer — and more boring.

Another reason for the bloat in Japanese commercial films, says Inoue, is their origin in material from other media, including door-stopper bestsellers and long-running comics. “The publishers have too much power,” he explains. “They demand faithfulness (to the original material) and no one tries to fight them.” It didn’t always used to be this way, he adds. “Directors used to have fierce battles with creators (of original material), but that’s no longer the case. Everyone is just trying to get along.

Japanese audiences, typically a patient group, will show up for long-winded, defanged pics, but foreign audiences are less tolerant. “These self-censored films have never been accepted by the overseas market,” says Takamatsu. “The free creativity seen in films by Miike, Kitano, Sono and others has produced better results overseas.”

Also this same Variety article also confirmed my issue with Japanese films not getting international release:

Variety said:
While some argue that with such a big domestic market, the Japanese biz can afford to regard foreign sales as simply the mint after the banquet, Takashi Nishimura, who as managing director of UniJapan is responsible for promoting Japanese film abroad thinks differently.

(The Japanese film industry feels) a sense of crisis that the domestic market is no longer enough,” Nishimura said last year at the Intl. Film Festival of India in Goa. “But Japanese films are made only for Japanese.”

So yeah, the Japanese film industry has a lot of issues.
Jan 29, 2016 9:27 AM

Oct 2012
mdo7 said:
Japanese not trying to rival Hollywood production.

yup. that's the case with j pop as well.
nobody in japan gives a shit if the rest of the world likes their entertainment or not.
korea's aim is to be on the same level with hollywood that's why they're so good.

Jan 29, 2016 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
mdo7, thank you very much for input! Saved me hours of googling lol. I really haven't looked into this, hence I made the thread in first place. Part of me kind of wished I really had just stumbled into shit productions like first posters implied, but there are so many it couldn't be coincidence anymore.

So if I understood correctly, it's these three issues:
a) not even seeking to compete with Hollywood like China and Korea
b) what I thought is low-budget really is low-budget (surprise!)
c) multiple interest groups involved in film-making instead of studios
...making it truly into systemic issue. I had thought that most talent simply gets sucked into anime industry. Really, why is anime industry the polar opposite of Japanese film industry? Okay, maybe not really polar considering amount of generic barely watchable shows (80-90% each kour), but there are quite often moments of sheer brilliance (which is why I continue to watch anime after all). Oh yeah, and all those VN/manga/ranobu adaptations. Maybe.. anime industry is the same, volume is just so different it wins by statistics. Holy shit. We are really up to something here maybe!

You listed quite a bunch Korean movies. Yes they are good, as are their series compared to Japanese. Here, have something interestng from China in return: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5VtGmRRS_w
I think, with that movie, China surpassed quality of Hollywood war movies.
Jan 29, 2016 11:07 AM

Jan 2010
Moniisek said:
mdo7 said:
Japanese not trying to rival Hollywood production.

yup. that's the case with j pop as well.
nobody in japan gives a shit if the rest of the world likes their entertainment or not.
korea's aim is to be on the same level with hollywood that's why they're so good.

Yep, that's the impression I'm getting when I observed Japan. They're not putting any effort despite South Korea "out-cooling" them.

semss said:
mdo7 said:
So yeah, the Japanese film industry has a lot of issues.

glad you add more about it, thank you xD
what's so weird is this lately japanese industry is still succes milking money form their own ppl, japanase consumerism killng themselves on the way...

You're welcome, but I got something to add more, look below and you're understand where I'm coming from.

dariken said:
mdo7, thank you very much for input! Saved me hours of googling lol. I really haven't looked into this, hence I made the thread in first place. Part of me kind of wished I really had just stumbled into shit productions like first posters implied, but there are so many it couldn't be coincidence anymore.

So if I understood correctly, it's these three issues:
a) not even seeking to compete with Hollywood like China and Korea
b) what I thought is low-budget really is low-budget (surprise!)
c) multiple interest groups involved in film-making instead of studios
...making it truly into systemic issue. I had thought that most talent simply gets sucked into anime industry. Really, why is anime industry the polar opposite of Japanese film industry? Okay, maybe not really polar considering amount of generic barely watchable shows (80-90% each kour), but there are quite often moments of sheer brilliance (which is why I continue to watch anime after all). Oh yeah, and all those VN/manga/ranobu adaptations. Maybe.. anime industry is the same, volume is just so different it wins by statistics. Holy shit. We are really up to something here maybe!

First of all, you're welcome and glad I could help. :)

But low-quality films and putting a lot of restrictions on mainstream Japanese cinema isn't the only issues I had. When Hollywood films (and also foreign films) try to get release in Japan, it always get release late (as in other word, dead last). I mean have a look:

Why does it take so long for Hollywood (and foreign) movies to be released in Japan?

I mean a lot of people in and out of Japan are baffled why Hollywood films (and foreign films) always get released last in Japan. For Hollywood films, I was told that they're no longer popular in Japan. To tell you the truth, we don't even know why Hollywood and foreign films are getting released dead last in Japan even when Hollywood films are able to get released in South Korea the same time it come out in the US.

Now because of Japan releasing Hollywood last and Mainland China's quota on Hollywood films (you can read more info here). Hollywood started to take the Korean movie market more seriously then Japan and Mainland China despite both of them are the biggest movie market. That's why more Hollywood stars are going to South Korea more and more then Japan and Mainland China to promote their films. Watch this video:

dariken said:
You listed quite a bunch Korean movies. Yes they are good, as are their series compared to Japanese. Here, have something interestng from China in return: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5VtGmRRS_w

I never seen or even heard of that film. Probably because that film never got released in the US, and also it's hard for me to find news about the latest trend in Mainland Chinese cinema. But thanks anyway.

If you need help finding out the latest trend in Korean cinema, the website I know will help you: Kobiz: Korean film biz zone

This is how I get my news about Korean film/cinema and the industry. The website is created by the Korean film council. So it's a good source to keep up with the latest trend in Korean cinema.

Also this website: Kpop Herald

This is another good website where I get my news about Korean film. I hope this help.
mdo7Feb 27, 2016 7:48 AM
Jan 29, 2016 11:46 AM

Oct 2010
dariken said:
jal90 said:

That is exactly the point I was making: they all look and feel like cheap B-movies! Same applies to Japanese series. Movies that don't, such as Lesson of Evil, are incredibly rare. Feel free to recommend such movies instead of complaining that I'm looking at wrong kind of movies.

Ah, sorry. I sounded too rude here. My point was that Iron Girl the ultimate weapon sounded like an exploitative B-movie at first glance, even from the title alone, so I thought that basing your judgement even if it's partially on this was unfair, because there's this kind of stuff in any film industry in the world.

As said, I'm not much into modern Japanese cinema. I can recognize a few names that appear commonly in festivals, but still haven't devoted myself to explore their filmographies. And my knowledge of the mainstream stuff in there is pretty much non-existant at this point. All I can say is that the live action version of Usagi Drop was actually great.
Jan 29, 2016 11:48 AM

Sep 2009
Lol where are you getting this "anymore" from? Japanese culture just happens to make most of them bad at acting.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 29, 2016 11:50 AM

Jan 2014
Well, I love Japanese horror flicks... And I have seen some good Japanese movies/live-actions too. So maybe you just haven't been seeing the good stuff.
Jan 29, 2016 12:10 PM

Jan 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
Lol where are you getting this "anymore" from? Japanese culture just happens to make most of them bad at acting.

The problem is a lot of them that are coming out in Japan don't get release outside of Japan. In the US, it's hard to find recent release from Japan when I can find a lot of Korean and Chinese cinema.

semss said:
If you're still have some hope for some good from japanese the try this some from 2010-2015, but don't too hope it's have same level of execution(technically) as same as latest korea or hollywood movie, at least as entertainment it's deliver imo

Drama & award winning
harakiri - death of samurai : dir. Takashi Miike

Confessions: dir tetsuya nakashima

Villain: dir lee sang il

like father like son:dir hirokazu koreeda

a story of yonnosuke: dir. suichi yukita

the great passage: dir. yuya ishii

Comedy
the apology king

judge

Key of Life

Thermae romae

Wood Job!

A Ghost of A chance; dir. Koki Mitani

The problem is many of them you listed has never seen release in the US. So I can't rate or judge how it look. That's why Dramafever, Hulu, Crunchyroll, nor Viki don't have the film you listed.
Jan 29, 2016 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
mdo7 said:

But low-quality films and putting a lot of restrictions on mainstream Japanese cinema isn't the only issues I had. When Hollywood films (and also foreign films) try to get release in Japan, it always get release late (as in other word, dead last). I mean have a look:

I mean a lot of people in and out of Japan are baffled why Hollywood films (and foreign films) always get released last in Japan. For Hollywood films, I was told that they're no longer popular in Japan. To tell you the truth, [u]we don't even know why Hollywood and foreign films are getting released dead last in Japan even when Hollywood films are able to get released in South Korea the same time it come out in the US.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

mdo7 said:
Now because of Japan releasing Hollywood last and Mainland China's quota on Hollywood films (you can read more info here). Hollywood started to take the Korean movie market more seriously then Japan and Mainland China despite both of them are the biggest movie market. That's why more Hollywood stars are going to South Korea more and more then Japan and Mainland China to promote their films.

Yeah, China has quote. I'm comparatively expert on China's movie scene. Quotas also do good. The premier happens on same time as in USA, and in order to make sure the big productions get on those slots, there is emerging a habit of "China pandering" in Hollywood. Movies like The Martian had China featured in those positively in visible role. Not only to appeal to Chinese audience, but also to surewin that precious slot. And then they become cash cows thanks to China's huge market. Quota doesn't really explain why China is raising quality year after year in every front of film making while Japan isn't. Your structural handicap explanation does in my opinion. I also think Chinese film industry is really attempting push into western markets because a lot of their movies (like the one I linked) come readily with English subtitles on web-release (those are not hard to find if you know where to look). It's not fansubbed.

Finally just 2c more on the implication that I'm watching only shit movies. China also produces a lot of shit, real C-class crap flicks, but even those in terms of production values beat typical Japanese movies like "Clone returns home". Borderline unwatchable, bad direction and retarded plots galore, but the acting, camerawork and props are there. Meanwhile on subject of Korea, I don't think I've ever actually seen real eyecancer come from there.
Jan 29, 2016 1:26 PM

Jan 2010
semss said:

well i'm not want to be hypocrite, many of those movie i get it through the "back door" , i'm not proud of it, and i don't mind to change in more legal way, if there/availabe
the one to blame the lack accesibility (as we already agreed by ur comment above) is those japanese so problematic shipping their content, they have potency, but just wasted it on the way

I don't indulge piracy nor torrent stuff online anymore because the last time I torrent stuff, my last computer suffered from virus and spyware attack. But yeah, I wish Japanese film industry start embracing the global market and export more of their film.

dariken said:
mdo7 said:

I mean a lot of people in and out of Japan are baffled why Hollywood films (and foreign films) always get released last in Japan. For Hollywood films, I was told that they're no longer popular in Japan. To tell you the truth, [u]we don't even know why Hollywood and foreign films are getting released dead last in Japan even when Hollywood films are able to get released in South Korea the same time it come out in the US.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

OK, it sound like you didn't know about Hollywood getting release last in Japan. Well now you know and it's really sad because Japan is the 3rd largest movie market, and seeing Hollywood is taking the Korean movie market more then Japan and Mainland China, it makes me question if being the 2nd or 3rd largest movie market is no longer relevant anymore.

dariken said:
I also think Chinese film industry is really attempting push into western markets because a lot of their movies (like the one I linked) come readily with English subtitles on web-release (those are not hard to find if you know where to look). It's not fansubbed.

Well the problem is the way they do English subtitles for their film can be shoddy (I've seen it myself). Also I've seen this:

Harry Potter and the F****ing Pigeons – Chinese bootleg’s subtitles are full of melons

The same applied to Hollywood films when they get released in China:

Poor Subtitles/translations Could Hurt 'Guardians of the Galaxy' in China

The Worst Guardians Of The Galaxy Chinese Translation Fails

dariken said:
China also produces a lot of shit, real C-class crap flicks, but even those in terms of production values beat typical Japanese movies like "Clone returns home". Borderline unwatchable, bad direction and retarded plots galore, but the acting, camerawork and props are there. Meanwhile on subject of Korea, I don't think I've ever actually seen real eyecancer come from there.

A lot of world cinema has it own up and down. Korean cinema has it's flaws and flops too.
mdo7Jan 29, 2016 2:05 PM
Jan 29, 2016 11:56 PM

Jun 2015
tsudecimo said:
Why are you judging it based on manga adaptations?

Try confessions.

Confession club is so KEWL!
A teacher's revenge toward her student who killed her daughter. But they are a juvenile and protected by the Juvenile Law. I think the teacher really smart!

I thought SnK made that way for people who never read the manga or watch the anime (so the expectation already at the lowest of the lowest point)
What is wrong with Parasyte live action?

There will be a good film, one day.
Feb 21, 2016 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
Just popped to my mind when listening to Chinese rap song called 离开 that Japanese music scene is strangely isolated in same sense as their film industry. Again, anime songs aside and artists closely related to anime scene aside, it isn't really all that good. For example, I simply can't stand the habit of typical Japanese male singers to sing in this unfathomable falsetto (which went out of fashion in west by 90's) especially when combined with enka-esque rhyming that they do. And then on the other hand you have acts associated with anime which produce brilliant stuff like OP of Watamote and ending of Madoka. And don't start telling me again that I'm just listening to wrong type of music that is poorly produced.

How come anime defies the rule of mediocrity that seems to permeat the rest of Japanese entertainment industry so heavily? Is it sucking in all the best talent and all the best funding from rest of the entertainment?
Mar 15, 2016 5:05 PM

Jan 2010
dariken said:

You know looking back at this. I'm not sure if China can surpass Hollywood in term of quality film making. I say this because I remember reading about how Korean film can compete with Hollywood's hedgemony on a global/international scale and the guy who said this is Chinese. I'll quote:

Chung Jen Feng, vice president of Wanda Media, said at the 4th KOFIC Global Forum held in KCCI on Sept. 3 that Korea is the only Asian country that can compete with Hollywood’s cultural hegemony.

I think that Korea is the most advanced country in Asia in film industrialization and systems, and the only Asian country that can compete with Hollywood’s cultural hegemony. I think China has a lot to learn from Korea, like how to deal with American hegemony, and what measures to take in order to advance China’s film industry. So, I expect that cooperation between the two countries will expand in the future.”

Regarding to the fact that Korea is a country that frequently cooperates with China more than other Asian countries, he said that it is due to the cultural and historical similarity between the two countries and the popularity of Korean stars in China. Above all things, however, it is because Korea has high competitiveness due to its advanced film system. “China’s movie industry now has a lot in common with Korea. To be sure, Korea is a step ahead, so China will follow a similar pattern in the future,” he added.

This make sense, that's why Hollywood and international celebrities has been targeting South Korea for Asian premiere for the last 2 years and that does explain why many American producers are taking notice of K-dramas and doing co-production or wanting to produce something similar to it like for example:

‘Walking Dead’ Producers Set Pre-Apocalyptic Korean Drama Series With Viki (2nd sources: Yonhap News, Korea/K-pop Herald, and IGN)

I'll include this video to also show you what I mention:

South Korean media is getting more popular and attention then anything coming out of Japan. That's why I keep hearing something about Korean pop culture may threaten US dominance. I don't even know if Chinese films/TV dramas will be enough to rival both Korean and Hollywood media/pop culture. I remember reading this article about South Korea's continuing globalization of their pop culture and they said something about Mainland China:

When asked by Park Jae-woo, vice chairman of the Korean Association of Plastic Surgeons, how Korea’s cultural industries can keep up their performance from fast-approaching Chinese competitors, Song said:

The Chinese companies are not as desperate or dependent on the global market due to the sheer size of the domestic economy. Furthermore, unlike ‘Westernized’ Korea, the Chinese culture maintains a strong national identity, molded by the enclosed imperialist and socialist years.”

Song said it will take many years until Chinese pop culture reaches a worldwide audience. Until then, he added, Korea can go about its business as Asia’s forerunner in the creative industry.

So yeah Japan will lag behind their Korean counterpart. I'm not even sure if Mainland China can match up to Hollywood and South Korean cinema/TV dramas/pop music and other aspect of pop culture. The only other Asian country that can rival their Korean counterpart is Taiwan.
Mar 15, 2016 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
I kind of enjoy some Japanese films; they have some decent horror under their belt, the films Sakuran, Helter Skelter, Battle Royale, to name a few, but I'll agree that a lot of their stuff can be crap. I like a selection of jdramas as well, but I'm generally not a large consumer of their film and television cuz i'm aware that a lot of it's shit that can end up being very formulaic, but it's also appealing to a very different audience culturally, so maybe it's not me. I'd like to see them do darker stuff that's actually good, hire some better cinematography crews, someone to bring aesthetic beauty but also better writing, as supposed to the lighthearted fare they usually end up doing. Or even something that channels the trashy bitchiness of the drama "First Class", which was kind of like a hybridized version of The Devil Wears Prada as far as the magazine setting went meets Gossip Girl for the bitchiness. I'll take even that.
removed-userMar 15, 2016 6:42 PM
Mar 15, 2016 7:12 PM

Jan 2015
dariken said:
Just popped to my mind when listening to Chinese rap song called 离开 that Japanese music scene is strangely isolated in same sense as their film industry. Again, anime songs aside and artists closely related to anime scene aside, it isn't really all that good. For example, I simply can't stand the habit of typical Japanese male singers to sing in this unfathomable falsetto (which went out of fashion in west by 90's) especially when combined with enka-esque rhyming that they do. And then on the other hand you have acts associated with anime which produce brilliant stuff like OP of Watamote and ending of Madoka. And don't start telling me again that I'm just listening to wrong type of music that is poorly produced.

How come anime defies the rule of mediocrity that seems to permeat the rest of Japanese entertainment industry so heavily? Is it sucking in all the best talent and all the best funding from rest of the entertainment?
u just listening to wrong type of music

Mar 15, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2010
dizzyur said:
I kind of enjoy some Japanese films; they have some decent horror under their belt, the films Sakuran, Helter Skelter, Battle Royale, to name a few, but I'll agree that a lot of their stuff can be crap. I like a selection of jdramas as well, but I'm generally not a large consumer of their film and television cuz i'm aware that a lot of it's shit that can end up being very formulaic, but it's also appealing to a very different audience culturally, so maybe it's not me.

Probably, but about J-dramas, the real problem is accessibility. I mean a lot of people on Dramafever have complained about the lack of J-dramas catalog. Also I mentioned on another thread that fans of Korean and Taiwanese dramas aren't branching out to J-dramas. That's why J-dramas don't get a lot of popularity on the same level as their Korean and Taiwanese counterpart. There maybe a lot of other good J-dramas that doesn't have accessibility amongst international audiences beyond Japan.
Mar 15, 2016 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
mdo7 said:
dizzyur said:
I kind of enjoy some Japanese films; they have some decent horror under their belt, the films Sakuran, Helter Skelter, Battle Royale, to name a few, but I'll agree that a lot of their stuff can be crap. I like a selection of jdramas as well, but I'm generally not a large consumer of their film and television cuz i'm aware that a lot of it's shit that can end up being very formulaic, but it's also appealing to a very different audience culturally, so maybe it's not me.

Probably, but about J-dramas, the real problem is accessibility. I mean a lot of people on Dramafever have complained about the lack of J-dramas catalog. Also I mentioned on another thread that fans of Korean and Taiwanese dramas aren't branching out to J-dramas. That's why J-dramas don't get a lot of popularity on the same level as their Korean and Taiwanese counterpart. There maybe a lot of other good J-dramas that doesn't have accessibility amongst international audiences beyond Japan.

That's true.. the Hallyu wave has taken over, there has been a shift in interest to SK and somewhat to TW and CN, sometimes by proxy through kdramas. as far as translators go, there are also far less people who speak fluent enough japanese and eng to translate said dramas to english. Anime fansubbers never seem to be terribly short because anime is a far hotter market with a vast audience, however, it's difficult to find translations to japanese songs and content in general outside of animanga, even light novels are hard to find, few of them are getting official eng releases or consistent fantranslations. Why? Those things are far more niche markets and have less mass appeal and fans than anime or manga series do.

As far as the ratio goes of there being far many more people who can translate from Korean or Mandarin (Taiwanese) to english, I think it's both an issue of there being less people who are multilingual in both japanese and english, and the fact that those things are considered to be less in demand. As a fan of jpop it definitely doesn't get the exposure that kpop does and probably never will, Japan makes no effort to extend their music to a worldwide market and focuses primarily on domestic sales more, that's why I think at least from the standpoint of jpop, their content doesn't always reach a wide audience. Japan is actually far more prone to restrict their content from being seen by other countries, they have extremely tight policies on youtube regarding copyright protection and refuse adamantly to upload full music videos, songs, episodes to most of their content to services aside from Japanese ones.
removed-userMar 15, 2016 8:11 PM
Mar 15, 2016 9:48 PM

Jan 2010
dizzyur said:

As far as translators go, there are also far less people who speak fluent enough japanese and eng to translate said dramas to english. Anime fansubbers never seem to be terribly short because anime is a far hotter market with a vast audience, however, it's difficult to find translations to japanese songs and content in general outside of animanga, even light novels are hard to find, few of them are getting official eng releases or consistent fantranslations. Why? Those things are far more niche markets and have less mass appeal and fans than anime or manga series do.

I don't know how long anime global appeal will last, and I'm afraid it get worse. Just this year I get a report from MLA (Modern Language Association) that Japanese language classes in US colleges/universities has been declining:

source

Yes, Japanese language classes has declined by 7.8% while Korean language classes had seen a major jump (a 45% jump to be more exact) during that same time period. So judging from these report, I'm afraid anime appeal may not last very long. Because of the decline of Japanese language enrollment, I'm afraid any fansubbing and legal translation which may include anime maybe in jeopardy and in danger.

Regarding J-dramas, yes I was told from couple of people that many fansubbers are dropping J-dramas translation project, I'll quote this from Crunchyroll forum:

Well, yeah. There's not enough J-drama subbers either. And the ones who are still around can end up really half assing their translations. I WISH I could find First Class 2 subbed, I tried watching the raws, but my Japanese ability is obviously crap, near nonexistent, limited to kind of certain sentences and words. Sadly I really enjoyed the first season, even if the subbers translation for the first season were not the best effort.

So this is not good, and also factor in that fans of Korean and Taiwanese dramas aren't branching out to J-dramas, that's not good and that pose a serious problem.

dizzyur said:
A As a fan of jpop it definitely doesn't get the exposure that kpop does and probably never will, Japan makes no effort to extend their music to a worldwide market and focuses primarily on domestic sales more, that's why I think at least from the standpoint of jpop, their content doesn't always reach a wide audience. Japan is actually far more prone to restrict their content from being seen by other countries, they have extremely tight policies on youtube regarding copyright protection and refuse adamantly to upload full music videos, songs, episodes to most of their content to services aside from Japanese ones.

I've already explained this on another thread, but J-pop accessibility is a big issue. Even Gackt blasted Cool Japan for not being able to compete with their Korean counterpart.

Another issue I have with J-pop is the fandom, there seem to be accusation that J-pop/J-music fandom as a whole is not united/unified like their K-pop counterpart:

source 1

source 2

source 3

Also like K-dramas, K-pop fans aren't branching out to J-pop (and yet I'm seeing K-pop fans branching out to Taiwanese and Thai pop, but not J-pop at all). Here's the irony: many of the older K-pop fans were formerly J-pop fans. They never went back to J-pop after becoming K-pop fans. You may want to look at this:

Are most K-pop fans "old" J-pop fans?

Jakarta Post article

to quote the article above:

JakartaPost said:
Even J-pop fans have become K-pop converts. Operations associate William Neo, 30, a J-pop fan since his teens, really got into Korean girl groups After School and T-ara last October.

He says: "Their music is nice, performances are very good and all the girls are quite pretty - the whole packaging is good.

"I used to listen to Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasaki, but then I lost track of them. In Singapore, they never promote their albums and you seldom hear about them on the Internet unless you really go and search for their songs."

Jason Ng, 31, a relationship manager in an investment bank, says he prefers the idols from Korea to Japan in recent years because of the 'difference in quality', which he attributes to more money and time being spent on grooming Korean idols.

In other word, a lot of these former J-pop fans never went back to J-pop after they become K-pop fans, so what happened? Why did these former J-pop fans never introduced J-pop to the current gen K-pop fans, was it accessibility or did some other factors caused people not to introduce J-pop to current K-pop fans. I mean have a look at these threads from a once-active J-pop forum:

Where did the j-pop community go?

What happened to Jpop community?

So what happened to the J-pop community? How did it became a former shadow of it selves. I asked that same question on Quora.
Mar 17, 2016 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
Quick exhibit of lack of quality. 20th Century Boys movie. This is typical Japanese grade-A movie quality. Just look at it.

I am not sure how exactly Satoshi Miike pulls it off, but his movies stand out as when it comes to quality. They are as sole exceptions to Japanese movie industry on par with what China and Korea pumps out on routine.
Mar 17, 2016 2:41 PM

Nov 2011
Last time I checked modern movies in general sucked.
Mar 17, 2016 3:05 PM

Dec 2012
dariken said:
Quick exhibit of lack of quality. 20th Century Boys movie. This is typical Japanese grade-A movie quality. Just look at it.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QehJhlH.jpg[/ig]

How is a still image supposed to represent the quality level of a movie? can you elaborate your point?
Mar 18, 2016 12:00 AM

Aug 2015
I've never been big on Chinese movies, but I do really like the Korean movie industry of the past 10 years or so. Japan is still where it's at for me though. To say Japan's film industry is shit, is ignorant. Yes, the SFX are often less quality than what you find in the west, but I'm usually watching historical pieces or dramas. Watch a bunch of Miike films and tell me they are shit.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Mar 18, 2016 1:03 AM

Jan 2015
If it's any consolation Hollywood has barely made anything watchable for over a decade.

Maybe modern movies are shit everywhere and everything else is too. Whatever a golden age is we live in the opposite for everything. #bornthewrongtime

For the record I liked the rarouni kenshin movies. I will watch the Boku dake ga Inai Machi film expecting nothing. I haven't seen many non manga/anime related japanese movies the last couple of years, just a few tv series.
Mar 18, 2016 4:41 AM

Jan 2015
dariken said:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QehJhlH.jpg[/img

I am not sure how exactly Satoshi Miike pulls it off, but his movies stand out as when it comes to quality. They are as sole exceptions to Japanese movie industry on par with what China and Korea pumps out on routine.
how exactly that random frame mean o_O... Even a trailer still can make ppl misguided

Rather than 20th century, go see the eternal zero and see how japan movie industry on their lowest point, I mean this movie is mediocre(or bellow??) for A list movie.. but was big success on their box office + won big at japanese academy award seriously(or u can said their version of oscar)

Btw who's this satoshi miike? A Hybrid of satoshi miki and takashi miike?

Mar 18, 2016 5:47 AM

Jan 2015
semss said:

Yes. He makes whimsical, thought provoking family friendly torture porn.
Mar 18, 2016 5:56 AM

May 2013
I've only seen good horror movies from Japan. Not that I keep up with current films...
Mar 18, 2016 8:52 AM

Jan 2015
Lethargy said:
I've only seen good horror movies from Japan. Not that I keep up with current films...

There were some very good ones in the 90s/2000s. The Ringu 3d movies 2012-13) were appalling tho.
Mar 18, 2016 9:17 PM

Jan 2015
FahtahSensei said:
semss said:

Yes. He makes whimsical, thought provoking family friendly torture porn.
somehow I can see the wife from audition survived and take way as housewife on turtle swim faster than expected o.O

Mar 19, 2016 1:26 PM

Sep 2013
Hideaki Anno will save Japanese cinema this year with Godzilla Resurgence.
Mar 20, 2016 6:58 AM

Jan 2010
dariken said:

I'm not sure how that picture shown represent lack of quality, please use a video footage like maybe from Youtube or elsewhere to back it up.

Thousand-Eyes said:
Aside from old classics like The Twilight Samurai or Seven Samurai or the Lone Wolf & Cub series and modern movies like Battle Royale, Kairo or Ju-On, I never cared much for Japanese movies, so I didn't expect much for production values. I went through a phase where I loved watching the Japanese action horror movies like Tokyo Gore Police, The Machine Girl, Mutant Girls Squad, Gothic & Lolita Psycho, Zombie Ass and Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl. I do think a lot of movies that star Tadanobu Asano are good too. I heard that the movie Why Don't You Play in Hell? was pretty cool.

KEIKAN said:
I've never been big on Chinese movies, but I do really like the Korean movie industry of the past 10 years or so. Japan is still where it's at for me though. To say Japan's film industry is shit, is ignorant.

I don't know if you bother to read any of my posts above. The real problem is accessibility. I mean Dramafever nor Viki doesn't have any commercial Japanese films for streaming to international audiences. I mean there's a lot of recent Japanese films that never got released outside of USA nor got pick up on streaming sites like Dramafever, Viki, or Asian Crush.

The only Asian films that are getting picked up and shown in the US are either Korean or Chinese (and sometime Southeast Asian films). But Japanese films I only see either a few or none at all.
Mar 20, 2016 4:50 PM

Aug 2015
I am sorry for not grasping your point firmly before posting. To that degree, I do agree with you. I think we saw a lot of exposure, especially for horror, from the late 90s through to the mid 2000s, but that really waned. I have tons of J-horror dvds from that period, but can barely find any these days. As someone else mentioned, unlike the US, Japan makes movies for Japan, not usually for international tastes and that does affect the pick up of their media for international licensure.

Again, I know little of Chinese films (I don't usually like the style and unfortunately I find Chinese grating to listen to), but Korean films often seem to be shot in a way that is palatable to western viewers.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Mar 20, 2016 5:21 PM

Mar 2014
Yesterday I watched "Umimachi Diary"

It was a Japanese movie

It was produced in 2015

It was good

So yes they can still make good movies

(I do prefer Korean cinema over Japanese cinema though so I agree with you on that point)
Comic_SansMar 20, 2016 5:24 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 20, 2016 5:23 PM

Jan 2013
dariken said:

The whole point of movies is pictures in motion and this nigga is posting a still to represent

I'm quite disappointed in you familia
Mar 20, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2010
KEIKAN said:
I am sorry for not grasping your point firmly before posting. To that degree, I do agree with you. I think we saw a lot of exposure, especially for horror, from the late 90s through to the mid 2000s, but that really waned. I have tons of J-horror dvds from that period, but can barely find any these days. As someone else mentioned, unlike the US, Japan makes movies for Japan, not usually for international tastes and that does affect the pick up of their media for international licensure.

Again, I know little of Chinese films (I don't usually like the style and unfortunately I find Chinese grating to listen to), but Korean films often seem to be shot in a way that is palatable to western viewers.

If that's directed at me, then you're welcome. I've been keeping track of Asian pop culture and I would say South Korea is doing it right. For Japan, it's sad that none of their dramas and films are not being accessible to a international audiences.
Mar 21, 2016 1:39 AM

Dec 2011
I don't watch many Japanese films, but all I know is- I've been waiting for Sadako vs Kayako all my life.

It may be the kind of boost the industry needs to pick up international interest, who knows.
Mar 21, 2016 7:23 AM

Jan 2010
UselessEgg said:
I don't watch many Japanese films, but all I know is- I've been waiting for Sadako vs Kayako all my life.

It may be the kind of boost the industry needs to pick up international interest, who knows.

Well I'm not sure if that'll be pick up for international release, there's been a lot of Japanese films that never got international release outside of Japan/Asia. It wouldn't surprise me if that film never got international release.
Mar 21, 2016 7:54 AM
Feb 2014
Who says Japan can't make good movies anymore?

People probably just personally dislike them overseas compared to anime, that doesn't mean they're not good.

FahtahSensei said:
If it's any consolation Hollywood has barely made anything watchable for over a decade.

Anything over that debauchery. Japan's film industry probably is better in that regard. Free of BS SJW horseshit.
Mar 21, 2016 8:18 AM

Apr 2011
I dunno, I thought Lesson of the Evil was pretty cool and it was released in 2013 (I think). There's also the RuroKen movies, which are easily the among the best Manga-to-LAMovie adaptions and all three came out this decade. While not a movie, Bloody Monday was a pretty good series, so there's that too.
Mar 21, 2016 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
Quick question for the people here. What are some good 2000's and 2010's non horror, non manga adaption live action Japanese movies? I know about the Kurosawa movies and plan to watch them sometime but I'm looking for more modern Japanese movies. For genres I'm looking for mystery thriller or action with crime drama or historical with samurais or sci fi. I'm asking here instead of making a new thread because this thread is already focusing on Japanese movies.
Mar 22, 2016 11:34 PM

Aug 2013
@semss Thank you for your recommendations I'll check them out sometime.
Apr 11, 2016 6:26 AM

Jan 2010
I just saw this article from Rocketnews24 today.

I'll quote from the article:

Rocketnews24 said:
Ever get the feeling that Japanese cinema isn’t as good as it used to be? You’re not alone.

it would be unfair to say that all Japanese films stink these days. Adam Torel of Third Window Films will gladly remind you that there are still great filmmakers in Japan, such as Tetsuya Nakashima and Yoshihiro Nakamura to name a few.

But when it comes to major productions, like a certain titan slaying franchise, Japanese studios can’t seem to put together a solid product. This is worrisome for Torel, whose company has a vested interest in Asian movies being good so that they can promote and distribute them in the west. We’ll have to forgive him, then, if he doesn’t exactly mince his words when discussing Japan’s cinematic offerings:

Even major productions like Attack on Titan are worse than a low-budget American TV show. Is this not embarrassing?”

Among Asian films South Korea and China have been hard at work. On the other hand, Japan has been steadily lowering the bar. Japanese cinema used to be the most highly regarded in Asia, but now South Korea, China, Taiwan, and Thailand have been stealing their thunder.

The quality of Japanese movies is really low. I’ve come to hate them.

Again, he’s not referring to all movies here, but a trend in mainstream cinema that has gone on for a while now.

So @dariken, you're not alone.
mdo7Apr 12, 2016 6:19 AM
Apr 11, 2016 7:14 AM

Jul 2015
Skeleturtle said:
Hideaki Anno will save Japanese cinema this year with Godzilla Resurgence.

Damn I came here just to post that. +1
Apr 11, 2016 11:55 AM

Jan 2010
A little off topic, but speaking of Japan not being able to make good films and not even exporting their films outside of Asia. The Chinese film industry is booming according to a report I saw from CBS's 60 minute report. Although it may be good news for the film industry. I got report that for the last few years, Chinese cinema has also been struggling overseas:

2013 article-China’s homegrown hit films struggle overseas

2015 article-Chinese Movies Still Struggle Overseas Despite Kung Fu's Global Appeal, Survey Shows

I don't see any similar report for Korean cinema. As a matter of fact, Korean films have been doing well overseas (I think due to K-dramas and K-pop) as cited by Yonhap News article (with a KBS World article backing this up). and I'll quote from the article:

South Korean pop culture and its growing popularity on the global stage had an induced production effect worth about 15.6 trillion won (US$13.5 billion) last year, a report showed Sunday.

The movie industry also basked in the growing popularity of Korean culture, with the estimated production effect more than tripling to 174 billion won from a year earlier.

So yeah, looks like both Japanese and Chinese films are having hard time gaining audiences overseas outside of Asia. Just thought if anybody was curious about each of the Asian films overseas reception are getting.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7582 by Maumuu »»
4 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3383 by 3miL »»
5 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
10 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
12 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.