Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people think Junji Ito's Uzumaki is good?

New
Jan 24, 2016 8:49 AM

Aug 2013
I have read several of Junji Ito's works but didn't find any of them to be particularly fantastic. One in particular that many people seem to rave on about is Uzumaki. Some people say that they weren't able to sleep at night and that it was the scariest manga they had ever read... Well, this may be my unpopular opinion, but I didn't think Uzumaki was all that good. From an artistic standpoint I will give props to the mangaka for his work, it truly is a sight to behold. However aside from that, the story itself was lackluster to the point of being cheesy sometimes, and the characters were stupid and bland. The horror element was also not very scary. This leaves three conclusions, either I am blind in the face of art and cannot discern the true meaning of the manga, I am an emotionless rock and or read the manga from the wrong viewpoint, or people simply praise this manga for being the scariest when other manga like it, just aren't scary themselves. Please help me understand the love for this manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2016 9:17 AM

Dec 2015
brandonvu said:
I have read several of Junji Ito's works but didn't find any of them to be particularly fantastic. One in particular that many people seem to rave on about is Uzumaki. Some people say that they weren't able to sleep at night and that it was the scariest manga they had ever read... Well, this may be my unpopular opinion, but I didn't think Uzumaki was all that good. From an artistic standpoint I will give props to the mangaka for his work, it truly is a sight to behold. However aside from that, the story itself was lackluster to the point of being cheesy sometimes, and the characters were stupid and bland. The horror element was also not very scary. This leaves three conclusions, either I am blind in the face of art and cannot discern the true meaning of the manga, I am an emotionless rock and or read the manga from the wrong viewpoint, or people simply praise this manga for being the scariest when other manga like it, just aren't scary themselves. Please help me understand the love for this manga.

I did enjoy this manga, but I can see what you are talking about. The character's were very bland, there actions made no sense whatsoever most of the time, the story did get kind of shoddy at the end too. Some parts were pretty visually intense and scary though. Other then that, I don't think its anything out of the ordinary.
Jan 24, 2016 1:59 PM

Nov 2013
I have no idea. It's not even mildly creepy, unlike Amigara Fault or Long Dream.
Jan 24, 2016 2:26 PM

Jul 2013
I liked the manga, but I didn't think it was that scary. It crept me out with the distorted bodies and non-human figures (e.g. human snails), but it wasn't enough to give me nightmares. Several ppl have the manga on hold at the public library I used to work. Guess they heard about it being "one of the scariest stories ever." I do like Junji Ito's works though.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 24, 2016 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
People tend to over-exaggerate their experiences with something, especially if the thing in question already boast a reputation, which may compel people to try to "fit in" with the popular opinion.
Jan 24, 2016 3:06 PM

Nov 2011
I just found it silly tbh. Of all the manga I've read I consider it one of the worst.
Jan 24, 2016 4:09 PM

Sep 2015
I love Uzumaki, it has very creative horror sequences and I love its theme, but I think Junjo Ito falls into the category of so bad it's good. I usually don't take his work seriously, it's just entertaining and somewhat creepy. I love his art though.
Jan 24, 2016 4:50 PM

Jul 2015
i didn't think it was really scary, but it was weird enough to the point where i was looking forward to see what new ordeal was going to come next.
i make terrible youtube videos, dont click the link unless you have literally seen everything else in existence
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH8qW8C2w0PNpTGlA-0r_HA
Jan 24, 2016 6:13 PM

Jan 2016
I liked it but I get where you're coming from. It kind of takes a lot to scare me though, but I found mostly the imagery was creepier than the story, and I think that might be part of the point. Amigara Fault literally gave me chills though. I don't know why that one got to me but it sure did.

わたしのなまえはローラです。よろしくおねがいします!
My art: http://munkyz57.deviantart.com
Jan 24, 2016 7:59 PM

Jul 2014
Even though I read only 1 volume, I find it okay. Not to scary, but I can't say for the rest. I enjoyed it though.
I like cake.
Jan 24, 2016 8:25 PM
Jan 2016
I really enjoyed Uzumaki, mostly by the artistic point and some of the ideas like the mosquitoes chapter. Anyways, I can see What you say, characters are kind of silly, the girl (I read it some time ago and don't remember their names ^^") saw what was happening before her eyes, She didnt have to leave her family behind, They could all move, her father would probably get some work ordered easily, I couldn't understand Why wouldnt She tan away noticing all the weird stuff happening. It's just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong
Jan 24, 2016 11:24 PM

Jul 2014
I think you're right on many accords, but I also think this manga is fantastic. It's just that it's original - it takes a strange topics and turns it into a disturbing journey. There's so much new stuff going on, that in the end you feel like, wow, I haven't seen anything like that, it's worth a grade A for surprising me.
Many "masterpieces" are like that - flawed things, good by virtue of being the only ones in their field or very memorable.
That's my opinion, at least. After I read a bunch of manga, I started to notice that there aren't many things that stand out.
Jan 25, 2016 4:12 AM

Jan 2014
Doing horror manga that is actually scary is very difficult. And there are not many mangaka doing that. Junji Ito is great because he is one of the best in the horror genre, even if his works are, just as you said, not that scary. But what can you do when you can't use scary music/sfx to go with the story, like they do in movies?

About the stories... they could be better, but I like the fact that there are (almost?) always a love-couple involved.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Jan 25, 2016 5:11 AM

Oct 2007
I think it's a matter of personal experience and preference. Many people may say that it's really creepy to the point of being scary is they haven't had a lot of exposure to horror as a genre, others may not find it scary but still enjoy it.

Personally I liked the progression of it and how it got to the part at the end. Some parts could've been left out because they seemed to have been done for shock value only and not because they were relevant to the plot (like the snail people), but in general I enjoyed it. It's true that the mood is cheesy, but I think that's part of the charm, too. It tells itself like a teenage camping story-time tale.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 25, 2016 5:18 AM

Feb 2013
Junji Ito is good on wtf stories, I dont consider most of them scary but I love how crazy he can be with those stories, of course if you're gonna value his work with how scary it is, some people will tell you that its the most scarier manga they've read and some others like you, would think its not, its subjective, I mean, I haven't found any manga yet that truly scare me...but Junji Ito works are defently interesting to read at least, and Uzumaki has great creepy moments in my opinion.

Jan 25, 2016 7:08 AM

Mar 2015
badwolf45f said:
Junji Ito is good on wtf stories, I dont consider most of them scary but I love how crazy he can be with those stories, of course if you're gonna value his work with how scary it is, some people will tell you that its the most scarier manga they've read and some others like you, would think its not, its subjective, I mean, I haven't found any manga yet that truly scare me...but Junji Ito works are defently interesting to read at least, and Uzumaki has great creepy moments in my opinion.

Yes, I though that the manga was really interesting, at least original, and weird. And the artwork is fantastic as well. The last volume is when the story gets annoying, though the characters were stupid in the first two ones too. I didn't find it scary, but the genre of horror does suit the manga.

So it's because:
- The amazing artwork - It's a manga, the artwork is a considerable factor on liking the manga or not.
- The story is original, and really weird. I love weird things, if they are well done. Deadly spirals?!
- Some people though that the ending was beautiful - But I didn't. Tastes differ.

It doesn't matter that you didn't like the manga, you will always find some series that people praise a lot and you would be like wtf.
Jan 25, 2016 7:49 AM

Sep 2013
Did you speed read it or something?
Take the time to appreciate the artwork.
Jan 25, 2016 8:18 AM

Jul 2014
ichii_1 said:
Did you speed read it or something?
Take the time to appreciate the artwork.

Oh yeah, that is one of the best part of the manga. The artwork is really good.
I like cake.
Jan 28, 2016 8:11 PM

Aug 2013
Thank you for all the feedback. I can see the appeal of the manga though I, personally, didn't find it incredible. But beyond that, I still found it interesting enough to finish it. Perhaps I'll read it through again from a less critical standpoint and just enjoy the art and atmosphere.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2016 10:29 AM
May 2015
I dropped it after chapter 5, it wasn't even interesting :v spiral this spiral that .... boring :v
Feb 2, 2016 10:32 AM

Dec 2012
I agree. I mean sure it's creepy but it's not particularly lasting or something that will make you disturbed for a while. Some of it was just silly. I've seen better in manga that don't even center around horror.
Feb 2, 2016 2:30 PM
Apr 2015
Well, IMO, it was more silly or funny than creepy or scary. The one thing that stood out was the visual/art, wich is really good. But the horror want MIA somewhere along the line and the characters were admitedly very boring/about-as-memorable-as-a-tea-kettle.
Feb 4, 2016 4:12 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
The art is good. And unlike most horror manga out there, it actually has a fantastic plot. Some people misinterpret Uzumaki as a horror manga, but it's actually a grotesque manga. It doesn't scare people in a way manga with ghosts do, some people feel scared because it's gruesome.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Feb 11, 2016 10:45 AM

Nov 2014
Toska said:
People tend to over-exaggerate their experiences with something, especially if the thing in question already boast a reputation, which may compel people to try to "fit in" with the popular opinion.

You're right about it, but i think Uzumaki is a manga you must interpret to get all the creepyness. Once you understand what the spirals mean...
And yeah, characters is one of the Junji Ito's weak points. I n nearly every work.
Feb 15, 2016 5:13 AM

Jul 2013
I'm happy to hear that i'm not the only one appreciating "Amigara fault". I do like Uzumaki but i don't find scary either and Junji Ito's work's tend to be just random and just driven by the art.

"Amigaras fault" other hand is genuinely chilly story.
Feb 20, 2016 12:05 PM

Dec 2013
I enjoyed it in the way that one may enjoy reading Rip Van Winkle, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Wuthering Heights, etc. (basically romantic literature). It was fantastic BECAUSE the characters were so simple-minded, arrogant, hopeless, and clueless, because their actions made no sense, because of the senseless terrors and massacres that were wrought. The pure insanity of what Ito wrote was fantastic to witness. Any horror movie has a simple plot and cheap scares (things jumping out, etc.) dressed up in special effects and cool music. Uzumaki isn't any different except for the creativity of it. Just read it like you're the mastermind behind the killer spirals.

Which is why I say, placenta mushroom babies and cannibalized snail people? Hell yes.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. ~That Nietzsche guy
Feb 20, 2016 10:16 PM

Oct 2009
His work isn't really scary. It's unsettling. That's where his appeal comes from. There's really nothing quite like his stuff.

Feb 21, 2016 11:35 AM

Sep 2013
I read it some time ago and I have to agree with the general consensus here. Uzumaki is not scary it's just interestingly weird, so you keep on reading.
Mar 24, 2016 11:53 AM

Aug 2013
Well, I do agree with @delija9091 it weird but it can be disgusting when people turn themselve into snail & the ending is really disappointing.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever
enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker,
or smarter. Everything is within.
Everything is exists.
Seek nothing outside of yourself
" - Musashi
miyamoto
May 26, 2016 9:19 AM

Mar 2016
Prolly cause they don't knoe wuts going going so it's gotta b really good.
The joke is on me cause I like Uzumaki a lot (tho Junji has some much creepier stories.) But it's a reaaaly bizzare manga, Junji Ito had some great ideas (those goddamn snail people, that dude who turned himself into a spiral, mother who cut out her body parts until she killed herself, will I ever forget that...) It's mcfricking insane. So I argue that Uzumaki really is damn good, perhaps not as a horror in the classical sense tho.
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
Dec 16, 2016 7:34 AM
Jul 2016
Yeah I thought it wasn't that great. The art was amazing for sure but really detracted me from the unsettling imagery were the characters' thoughts and decisions. She's experienced and clearly noticed the destruction of the spiral and yet she continues to live in denial. Many of the characters' reactions towards the possessed is either bland or just out right stupid. Why on earth would you laugh at someone who turned into a whole different species? And the fact that this shithead didn't even get some sort of punishment from teachers... It's like everyone's moral compasses are fucked into a spiral except for the girl's boyfriend (but he could've simply left and forced her girlfriend). I could seriously go on and on because the only positive factor of this manga is the art.
I don't know if it's because I haven't been seeing any anime/manga for a while but this manga just really pissed me off.
Dec 17, 2016 6:10 PM
Dec 2016
Honestly, I think most people just buy it because it has an awesome hardback cover. xD
Dec 17, 2016 7:50 PM

May 2015
Toska said:

If the thing in question boast a reputation it's because alot of people already like it tho, so I don't know if this answers the question..

Rxargyros said:
Well, I do agree with @delija9091 it weird but it can be disgusting when people turn themselve into snail & the ending is really disappointing.

It's Jungi Ito it's suppose to be disgusting.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Dec 18, 2016 12:28 AM
Jul 2018
ashfrliebert said:
Toska said:

If the thing in question boast a reputation it's because alot of people already like it tho, so I don't know if this answers the question.

Actually, Uzumaki can fit the "Hit Parade Effect" pretty well. Especially seeing how works the MAL community where that effect is über-obvious: few manga "that almost everyone reads", a bunch of manga with a decent number of readers, a huge tons of rarely read manga.

Personally, I got introduced to Uzumaki as "the best manga of the best horror mangaka", thus it was one of the first horror manga I read.
It is also one of the worst I read so far. It's still better than Hellstar Remina I guess, even if they both suffer of the exact same issues. Thus I deduced that Junji Ito isn't for me.
Jun 4, 2017 3:08 AM
Nov 2016
For me manga was okay. It had awesome ideas and some scary moments but it fell short on most parts. I loved artstyle, lore,gore and many other stuff,but the so called "characters" are dumb and plain boring my opinion. We have regular highschool girl,emo boyfriend,school bully,good-turns-bad friend,dumbass kids and pointless people. Not only this,it was rushed to hell to the point where 10 different stuff started happening in same time. Choices that people made from time to time can only be made by mentally ill. Plot holes were all the way around. Overall it was okay,it had perfect stuff and at the same time it had terrible moments. By me it is 6/10.
Jun 4, 2017 4:42 PM

Jun 2016
I mostly agree with your critiques, but what made it so great for me was the stories themselves. I loved every single one. I loved how they were all original, even when compared to each other, and although the manga didn't scare me it did manage to gross me out which doesn't happen often.
Jun 5, 2017 8:30 AM

Apr 2014
It's not amazing, but it is interesting. The artwork, as many others have already stated, is incredible, and a lot of the events that unfold in the story are very shocking and strange. It's not scary, but it is disturbing.
Jun 5, 2017 10:02 AM

Apr 2016
uzumaki... hmmm, how should i explain abt this i didnt say it was too good or too bad it just that the plot getting eerie but overall he created a unique story whether is less chapter or more.
u'll never understood how the feel to be me. When the boundaries limit me to express or share my feeling. When u want to explain the truth but
you are not allowed to. When u need someone to
talk but u can't say anything
Jun 6, 2017 9:44 AM
Apr 2011
It's spooky, why else? Just like Gyo was. And I enjoyed both mangas.
Jun 7, 2017 12:11 AM

May 2010
Finished reading it this morning, and let me be honest here i almost dropped it at the "Mosquitoes" chapter cause i felt extremely uncomfortable reading it and the art was just too much at times. (i was reading late at night on my tab so probably that didnt help)
Jun 9, 2017 1:59 AM
May 2015
It's his most mainstream work, and comes in a more conventional format compared to his other stuff.

More topics from this board

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
2 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
2 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.