Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 16, 2014 6:30 AM

Nov 2013
Revy, Dutch and Chang are awesome. Didn't really care for any of the other characters in this season though.

Hoped for a bigger boom too for a finale so a little lacklustre considering this is a gun toting action show.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 4, 2014 8:02 AM

Sep 2013
This anime is a classic action flick. It would've have been better though if there was a main plot. An action show without much story isnt as enjoyable. Anyway I thought its pretty decent.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 4, 2014 8:04 AM

Sep 2013
Vexper said:

Hoped for a bigger boom too for a finale so a little lacklustre considering this is a gun toting action show.
That's because there is a sequel which is basically episode 13 to 24.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 7, 2014 9:36 PM

Jun 2010
I didn't like this show the first time I saw. After rewatching it a few years later and I still don't get it. The fact that this is often even put in the same sentence as Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, or Quentin Tarantino movies is an embarrassment to entertainment as a whole. All this series is (and yes I saw the second one) is a derivative action show with cliche and one dimensional characters. Yes, Baccano, Tarantino, and Cowboy Bebop all wear their influences and homages on their sleeves but the differences is that they actually try to do something new and creative with their influences. This doesn't do that. I was hoping Black Lagoon would be a sorta parody or deconstruction of action movie cliches and instead all I got was a bunch of action movie cliches. Episode 7 (I believe it was episode 7) the one where Rock and Revy go on out, do jobs and argue with each other. That was really good, if the show had more episodes like that then I could see why everybody past the age of 12 loves the show so much but no the show likes to bring up themes but has no interest in actually exploring them because it's afraid that it's audience won't be able to pay attention for 5 minutes unless lots of explosions and swearing is happening.

Bottom line, far from one of the worst animes I've ever seen and if all you're looking for is hot chicks blowing crap up then this is for you but to say that this show has complex characters and good stories is beyond ridiculous to me. Want my opinion on a better product that pay homages to 80s/90s action movies, go play Metal Gear Solid. Rather if you like it or not, it at least tries to do something different
Dec 12, 2014 3:40 AM

Sep 2012
Pretty bad. This was 100% fanservice. Characters were harem characters without the harem: bland, uninspired, boring, and obnoxious. Action wasn't even that good, really. There was no intrigue. No brains.

This show seems like it was written by a 14 year old.
Dec 17, 2014 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
The ending was a bit weird.
I did love this series though, like I said multiple times, the characters were top notch.
Chemistry between them even better, not just the main characters either.

Yet another show that deserves a 10/10 from me.
Finished watching it in English dubbed.
PrOxAntoDec 17, 2014 2:03 PM
Mar 7, 2015 1:31 AM

Jul 2008
If folks didn't know about season 2 I would understand why they'd be pissed. Not the best of finales. A good episode overall but not for a season ender.
Mar 9, 2015 4:46 AM

Feb 2015
That driver was hilarious...

The ending was a bit weird but the action made up for it.

8/10 for this season, hopefully the next is better.
Apr 1, 2015 11:32 PM

Jun 2013
Came for over the top action, not disappointed.

Action junkies should be pleased.

I was hoping Rock would man up a bit. I guess I asked too much.

Jul 22, 2015 4:53 PM
Jan 2012
medium anime,good moments,bad moments and medium moments.
Jul 30, 2015 9:16 AM

Apr 2013
Revy is kind of a too good character for this show.
Oct 6, 2015 8:33 PM

Feb 2014
Revy straight up called the getaway driver a leprechaun lol
Apr 20, 2016 11:12 PM

Sep 2012
Great episode. That Chinese lady was hilarious. She made me laugh a few times.
May 18, 2016 3:03 PM

Jan 2016
This series is entertaining enough to keep watching but the gun fighting is getting stale quickly. Unlike the first few episodes where they used a torpedo, it's just mindless shooting and not much strategy. Also, the soldiers shooting accuracy changes depending on plot convenience. One person with pistols outgunning a group of soldiers with assault rifles just baffles me. Realism is in question.
Jul 4, 2016 8:15 PM

Feb 2016
This episode actually had me feeling pretty bad for the leaders of the "freedom fighter" group. One of them realizes the "cause" is pointless and has become disillusioned, but he still can't quite admit that it's not worthwhile (until the very end). The other is so blinded with range and pain due to his personal loss that he can't see he's leading the group straight towards a cliff.

It takes a very special sort of despair to acknowledge that your life's efforts have skewed towards a lie. I think that's what Masahiro meant at the very end, when he said "What do I do? I am an enemy of the state." He was finally accepting that the specific "causes" they fought for were all bullshit. The only thing that truly mattered was that he was part of a smaller group fighting the larger group, never mind the reason for the fight. He was resigned to his lot in life.
Oct 26, 2016 3:43 AM

Mar 2015
I will watch sequel after 6 days. The waiting period is important.

I love this quote from Taiwanese, "Men can stab but dont have experience being stabbed". In other words seme and uke and she meant sex XD

That waz anti-climatic for final episode of Season 1. It stopped halfway.

3.2/5

Overall: 6/10
Dec 24, 2016 8:31 AM

Dec 2010
Takenaka is a worthy antagonist. I feel that it's in the best interest of the Lagoon to avoid crossing paths with him again.
Jan 23, 2017 5:19 PM

Jul 2013
Wow I finally managed to finish the first season after such a long time.

Anyways I really enjoyed all the episodes. It was something different from most other anime so far I watched, especially because here a female is the badass and not a guy :D

Good jokes, a lot of action and also some calm moments which fit perfect.

Takenaka should not be underestimated. He's pretty smart, maybe we will see more of him in the future. Revi and that Thai woman made a good couple haha.
I think Revi would rescue Rock again if she had to. But at the end a typicall Revi reaction after Rock thanked her :D

I can imagine how most of the people must have feel when they saw the ending without knowing that there will be a second season. It's good that they made a direct transition. I'm really excited for the second season and what will happen there. Vampires in the first episode?

Overall for me the first season is definitely a 9/10 :)

Jan 27, 2017 8:02 AM

Jan 2012
doesn't feel like an ending ep

Feb 17, 2017 3:37 PM

Aug 2016
Last 2 episodes were really boring for some reason. but the previous ones, really entertaining. cant explain exactly. thats why i consider this season to be a recommended anime for the ones looking for some "hollywood-esque" action anime, with guns, mafia and mercenaries.
:v
Apr 10, 2017 1:30 PM

Nov 2016
It was a very entertaining watch. I can't say I like Revy but the action was non stop and I had a lot of fun with it. 8/10. I'll watch the 2nd season soon.
May 24, 2017 1:50 PM

Feb 2015
It started off pretty great, but Revy really got on my nerves as it went on, and kind of ruined this show for me. Probably not gonna bother with the 2nd season.
May 28, 2017 9:18 PM
Feb 2017
revy is fuckin hot
Jun 15, 2017 6:21 AM
May 2017
cant deny that (lenny face here)

Jul 25, 2017 7:24 AM

Dec 2012
Ahhhh fuck, everything was going so well until these last 2 episodes.
Really disappointed by the ending.

I will say though, it was cool seeing how Rock went from being kidnapped by these criminals in the beginning to being rescued by them (revy) in the end. And after Revy said that she would never rescue him. That was nice.

EDIT: I would like to retract my earlier statement about being super disappointed with the ending; I somehow didn't realize there was a second season omg, now I understand why it didn't feel conclusive. CAUSE THERES MORE. THANK GOD ;u;
(still took my vote of 9/10 to 8/10 though)
SmortcholJul 26, 2017 10:10 AM
Sep 23, 2017 4:09 PM

Aug 2015
Rock thinking about himself and Revy saving him, lots of action... Interesting ending.
Oct 22, 2017 2:50 PM

Jun 2013
This was a good action anime, the characters were fun, and the animation and action was well done. I give it an 8 out of 10.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Oct 26, 2017 4:40 PM

May 2012
For the first season this was pretty good, and it's good that there is a direct followup as else it would be a real shame that this would have been the "ending".

The general pacing is really lovely, combined with the intense action and case by case story, it really is lovely! Let's see what the next season has to offer though!
Jan 7, 2018 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
Whelp! finally finished with this show after a long time. This arc was much interesting and 'quite' entertaining and less messier than the last arc presented. That arc was too awful especially the most irritating 'mary sue'-tier villain. I will assume that was a pure filler arc and the worst fillers ever I have seen.

Anyway, onto the second barrage!!!
May 26, 2018 5:31 PM
Jun 2016
One of the most messed up shit I've ever watched.
Jan 26, 2019 8:03 PM

Nov 2016
Really entertaining watch with one of the best female protagonists.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 8, 2019 4:45 PM
Jan 2019
I expected more of this end, but anyway it was a good anime
I will start 2 season immediately
Apr 22, 2019 5:04 AM

Mar 2012
Didn't really feel like a last episode of a season but at least S2 began airing a few months later.

Overall it was a good watch but it felt short due to the amount of mini story arcs it had yet none were related to each other. You'd be able to watch them in any order and only be missing out on Rock's character development and how his relationship with Revy has changed/improved.

Other than that, there's no actual central story or main conflict so far.
May 21, 2019 7:46 PM
Apr 2016
Neat way to wrap up the show. The chat between Rock and the old man was interesting. Revy went all out haha. Good episode.
Jun 6, 2019 3:49 AM

May 2016
Well, that's the end of an anime that I really regretted started watching. That changed after I watched episode 3. I may have fallen in love with Revy during these 12 episodes, mainly because she's badass.. and she swears a lot!

Rock and Dutch are cool characters too. I'm interested to see what will happen in the second season which I cannot wait to watch. I think I'll give this an 8/10.
Jun 8, 2019 5:35 AM

Dec 2013
Lol at the Chinese woman she and Revy kept bickering but still helped each other. Can't wait to see the second season

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Sep 27, 2019 1:34 PM

Jun 2019
Again, kinda underwhelming for the season finale. I'm aware there's a second season, but this wasn't exactly a grand episode.

I think the Roberta arc was probably the highlight of this series, imo.

Still, this episode picked up somewhat towards the end. I liked the Japanese bad guy, the calm and understanding evil-doers have always been a favorite of mine.

I wasn't paying as much attention as usual but I didn't really understand what the bad guys wanted. I think it could've been explained a little more clearly.

I guess I better start watching the next season, lol.
Jan 26, 2020 1:43 PM

Aug 2015
awesome show, definitely keep watching!
Revy is one of the best girls in anime!
Jun 11, 2020 5:57 PM
Feb 2016
I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would.
Good stories, fast pacing, interesting characters, and the art is not bad either.
Jul 15, 2020 5:47 AM

Mar 2020
this episode was freaking hilarious and ssooooo good!
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Jul 23, 2020 1:17 AM
Mar 2020
7/10 Good anime

I may have given a 8/10 if characters like the irish driver and taiwanese lady were more around. THe english dubs really adds more characters to them.

The roberta arc was really boring and I don't really mind her being overpowering like everyone else, since this is a anime.

Aug 25, 2020 6:23 PM
Jul 2019
Good watch overall, though I won't say great. The action was explosive, the pacing was fast, and the characters were great, particularly Revy, who is a great protagonist, even though she's kinda a fucked up personality, she's really entertaining that you can't wait for her to appear and talk.

But the experience feels a little hollow in the core. Most plot lines were nonsense and some times not that interesting for a Seinen show imo. It tried to be that deep at some points, but I couldn't feel it succeeded or left me with something to think about.

But still a fun watch regardless. Solid 7/10.
Dec 1, 2020 9:21 AM
Jul 2020
Is this s1? lol. It was certainly entraining to watch, containing what I deem one of the best female protagonists in anime. Unfortunately, this show doesn't have the plot nor the story for me to rate it above a 9.

8/10, very enjoyable.
Dec 30, 2020 7:31 AM

Jul 2017
A thrilling episode to wrap up a pretty great first season as a whole, and man Shenhua and Revy can kick some ass, and man Leigharch is something else when he's high as fuck. At least they got the job done and Rock was safe in the end, except when he got punched by Revy post-mission for getting kidnapped so easily in the first place. That's a surprisingly light punishment, I expected her to have shot him in the ass instead for some reason.

Overall, after the first episode, Black Lagoon started a little slow (especially with the Nazi arc) but once the episode where Rock and Roberta met Eda and Yolanda at the church started, the show picked itself up dramatically to being awesome and reminding me on why I really loved Black Lagoon in the first place for so long. It may not make a 100% sense all the time and may not feature an overarching narrative as the show progresses day by day not thinking about a real end goal for the future other than just living life and killing baddies and making money like pirates, but it's an exciting show with so much adrenaline, passion and bloodlust to the bones. Plus, it's got infinite amount of absolutely badass characters to the brim (especially females in Revy, Roberta, Balalaika, Shenhua, Eda from the church, etc). Black Lagoon ain't anything serious, just a ton of fun with an exceptionally entertaining as fuck of an English dub. Excited to see the 2nd season again since that does have content that makes it better than the first season, and I loved this season as a whole.

9/10 overall.
Jan 4, 2021 2:55 AM
Sep 2019
Speaking about an underwhelming end of season, what a pity.
Jan 26, 2021 8:03 AM
Jun 2020
Gostei pra caralho do anime, é divertido e com boas cenas de ação. 8/10
Jun 16, 2021 2:34 PM

Jun 2019
My 27th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.

Aug 31, 2021 6:13 PM

Dec 2017
This show still kicks ass 15 good years later. I really wish they made a third season.
Nov 4, 2021 7:22 PM

Apr 2020
it wasn't as good as i expected
water
Nov 10, 2021 4:01 AM

Feb 2020
Mmm, pretty interesting way to end this season, but I didn't find the arc in itself to be that interesting, though it had a few scenes that I liked (serious ones like that conversation between Rock and the japanese guy and humorous ones like Rock's bad trip).

It sums up well how I feel about this show : it's been a hit-or-miss, due to the story and characters having a lot of potential but the executation being flawed. It was fun at times, interesting and even profound as some others, but often boring because of plot conveniences, inconsistencies and characters' level of strength depending on what the show demands (the Roberta arc being the best example). Plus, the dialogues often felt like they only had superficial depth, and the characters' "baddy" behaviours felt a bit forced (I really like Revy, but I'm sure I would've liked her a lot more if the show calmed down a bit with her edginess, a character like her can be a lot better than that).

But it wasn't bad, it had good ideas, interesting messages, the characters felt like they actually had depth and humanity instead of simply being the plot's puppets, and I had fun at times (I've seen a lot of people complaining about the Roberta arc, and I can totally see why, but I didn't take it too seriously and so it became the arc I enjoyed the most because of how over-the-top it was, plus I found Roberta to be quite an interesting character, I'm looking forward to the OVAs).

So I expected more from this show (especially from Revy who I thought I would love), and it had the potential to be more, but it wasn't bad and it did a lot of things correctly. I'm giving it a 6 and I hope the next season can deal with the issues I've talked about.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

seita - Aug 23, 2008

132 by Scarface_1 »»
Apr 16, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

djinn_690 - May 25, 2008

141 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 12:07 AM

» Sub or dub? ( 1 2 )

Headpatts - Oct 17, 2022

50 by Kirino »»
Mar 2, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OmegaRed - Dec 16, 2008

81 by bubba460z »»
Feb 20, 3:05 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

seita - Aug 23, 2008

119 by bubba460z »»
Feb 20, 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.