Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 1, 2016 3:40 PM

Jul 2009
wait.. wut?
that was macross?
bruh
Jan 1, 2016 3:53 PM
Jan 2016
I was in Japan during the Macross Frontier, the soundtrack of that anime was played everywhere i went. I do not know if this anime is good, but this delta soundtrack will be a even bigger hit.
Jan 1, 2016 4:34 PM
Jan 2016
Farabeuf said:
As the first person posting here who is an actual old school Macross fan, I have to say I'm disappointed. I think Kawamori is gone full George Lucas, instead that his Jar Jar Binks are friggin magical girls. Yeah, Macross was always more lighthearted than Gundam, but making your idols into magical girls is jumping the shark in my opinion. This was just a special. Let's see how the rest of the show develops. I hope they tone down the magical girl garbage,

I agree 100%. Macross used to be intense and story driven. Now it looks like everyone is on Happy Pills farting rainbows out of their asses.

Bring back Rick Hunter or Isamu!
Jan 1, 2016 4:44 PM
Oct 2012
Nachtwandler_21 said:
and nothing special with them using drones for fighting IMHO.

This, also the show made it clear that they used the music and special effects to distract their opponents from realizing that they were being supported by the Valkyries. Each girl had a specialized pilot that was syncing with the girls stage movements, together the girl and pilot form a specialized duo within the greater group.

The only potential "magic" girl is Freya, most likely a princess of Windemere (and brother of the lead pilot, did anyone else notice that the pilots had the hair ending in their own symbols - so obviously they are there to bring her back). Not sure what their story will prove to be, but my guess is that they have been genetically modified to possess some fold ability similar to the Vajra, so their power will allow them to teleport and use dimensional faults. If so, then there is nothing "magical" about her.

Like this beginning, had some good references to Macross Frontier (the carriers in particular, but this time they were being shot before they could launch), looking forward to the series in April. Macross is, well, Macross so the idols and the "power of music" will be done to death, but the special effects look good and the characters have enough potential to be fun.

Dudres, as for Macross F, yes there was a reason: he was a Kabuki actor. It's a Japanese cultural thing, such things exist there, get over it.
Jan 1, 2016 4:56 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Too bad the wait until April is so long; I quite enjoyed this episode. As usual, the music sounded good to me, as well. I wish some of the idol anime would use beats like this once in a while. Definitely checking this out when it starts airing on TV.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 1, 2016 5:17 PM

Oct 2007
The songs were incredibly underwhelming, the character designs are all over the place, the OST is bland, the mechas are of a worse quality than Frontier... this had none of the franchise's power or beauty. I'm so disappointed...
Jan 1, 2016 5:24 PM
Sep 2014
It's so funny watching the fanboys crying about the creators putting mahou shoujo idols on their robots hahaha I really hope this is a fucking huge sucess just to piss them of. It's seems promising....
Jan 1, 2016 5:48 PM
Nov 2015
I expect massive level of salt generated now that macross turned into a magical girl/school idol show with fighter jets.
StupidityKillerJan 1, 2016 5:50 PM
Jan 1, 2016 6:07 PM
Oct 2012
A_Little_Birdy said:
I expect massive level of salt generated now that macross turned into a magical girl/school idol show with fighter jets.

Uhm, for 28 years Macross has been an idol show with fighter jets..... it didn't just "turn" into one.
Jan 1, 2016 6:27 PM

Mar 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
A_Little_Birdy said:

Uhm, for 28 years Macross has been an idol show with fighter jets..... it didn't just "turn" into one.

And yet, we have:

They are so obviously trying to cash in to the whole idol craze going on in Japan. And yes I have seen other Macross series, but this is different. You can't deny this is wayyyy more idol than before.

This sequel looks like a cheap rip-off, half-assed series where they just shoved in some idol story and then smeared a bunch of hair accessories and whatnot to their characters to give a 'Macross F' type originality.

This moment when Macross meet Idolm@aster...

You sure wouldn't know that from this thread. Personally, I don't get how it's fundamentally different from the previous incarnations either.
Jan 1, 2016 6:27 PM
Jul 2015
ma2ha3 said:
I was in Japan during the Macross Frontier, the soundtrack of that anime was played everywhere i went. I do not know if this anime is good, but this delta soundtrack will be a even bigger hit.

Yeah, the story might not be looking forward to but the songs may be good like the ikenai borderline.
Jan 1, 2016 6:49 PM

Oct 2012
This felt more like AKB0048 then Macross
Jan 1, 2016 6:51 PM
Oct 2012
FST. My guess is that the 1st and 3rd people were talking about there being a troupe instead on an individual idol, I think that is unique for Macross. If not, then they don't know what they are talking about since the series has always been about idols and fighters (my comment was directed towards the guy who didn't seem to know this).

The second one I think has a potential point about the girls in the troupe. In Macross F, Lanka and Sheryl were characterized very well in the first episode, whereas here, because they introduced so many idols, the Walkurie group does seem highly generic. I am sure that the actual series will correct this, but if they do not, then the guy's comment would be prescient.

As for the other two, I can sympathize, Macross is best when it balances idols and space opera, if the show were to go too much in either direction then it stops being Macross. However, while I can sympathize, I think they are wrong: the episode (outside of Freya potentially) made it quite clear that the idol group was using technology, not magic. The only "magic", their music can calm the savage beast, is a concept that has been with the show since the beginning.

That said, had the girls actually used songs to "stop missiles" (as one poster said) or relied too much on the "magic of music", then yeah, they would be right to criticize it since that would violate the spirit of Macross. I don't believe that is going to happen though.
Jan 1, 2016 9:11 PM
May 2011
One thing you have to remember about Macross is that it reflects the music trends in real life at the time.
The original had 80s idols, 7 had 90s J-rock band, Frontier had the idols we got now, and Delta deals with idol groups which are also pretty damn popular nowadays.

The whole idol/VF pairing thing was interesting, and for WIP footage, it was pretty okay, the character animations weren't bad, the CG ain't perfect but hey, you can count with your hands how many TV anime does CG well.

The action scenes were good though, nice songs as well.

I don't see magic either, the songs calm them down, the drones provides the protection and distraction via holograms. The transformation was there even in Macross Frontier, holograms used in concerts to "change" outfits, a portable version of that wouldn't be farfetched.
WhatShtIsThisJan 1, 2016 9:18 PM
Jan 1, 2016 9:44 PM
Jan 2016
The VF fight was good until the magica....er..singers blow it up and totally ruined it. this is absurd, though singers of the macross series have been known to particpate in battle to support the fight( MF, DYRL,...) they usually are on a big ass humanoid battleship with no combat ability by themself, not in lavish magical girl costume and the ability to stop missle and beam attack. I call It BULLSHIT
Jan 1, 2016 10:08 PM

Jan 2008
Japanese doughnuts...Can't tell if outdated reference to 4kids Pokemon dub, or just plain trolling. It's pretty shitty regardless. Hopefully a decent subbing group picks this up.

At any rate, I'm pretty interested in seeing the rest of this series. I'll likely enjoy the music if nothing else.
Jan 1, 2016 10:57 PM

Jul 2007
hyperlunatic said:
The VF fight was good until the magica....er..singers blow it up and totally ruined it. this is absurd, though singers of the macross series have been known to particpate in battle to support the fight( MF, DYRL,...) they usually are on a big ass humanoid battleship with no combat ability by themself, not in lavish magical girl costume and the ability to stop missle and beam attack. I call It BULLSHIT

They are not stopping the attacks with their powers. They are directing what essentially amounts to energy shields. They are not even powering them. Just controlling/directing.

And as was said already, most of idol "fighting" was parlor trickery to confuse the opponent while the mechs do the actual fighting. Its literally a more guerrilla warfare application of exact same things the singers already did.
Jan 2, 2016 12:11 AM
May 2015
This is suppose to be shown in April, so why was it shown early?

How the fuck can Won freya be hungry when she already munching a lot of apples ?
Jan 2, 2016 12:44 AM

Nov 2012
I long for the day when Macross stops shoehorning forced j-pop into everything and ditches the shitty CGI for real dogfights like we saw in Macross Plus.

Shoji has indeed gone full George Lucas.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jan 2, 2016 1:08 AM

Jan 2010
Eh I'm sure somewhere down the road the adaptation of The First will happen, at least as an answer to Gundam the Origin and Thunderbolt which are kicking ass right now. Delta is only made to sell merch to otaku and kids.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Jan 2, 2016 1:17 AM
Jan 2016
Was really disappointed in this first episode as well. I liked the animation and music, was okay with the character designs (for the most part), and had absolutely no problem with the concept of an idol group instead of a single idol. Macross has always had elements of military, romance, and songs, so I wouldn't have expected any less.

The thing that ruined it for me was the sentai twist. The girls don't use magic, so they're not magical girls, but they're definitely a sentai squad - they have the colors, they have the advanced tech (swarms of mind controlled force field generators that move faster than missiles, are completely impervious to damage, can act as gliders and holographic projectors, and can be fully recharged within seconds by a microwave transmitter? why are Valkyries even a thing?), and they can resist damage from near missile strikes (maybe their clothes get a little dirty, such horror) and still being chipper enough to flash their idol sign.

Are we going to see the Valkyries combine into a Super Valkyrie and battle it out with beam sabers next? Is Voltron going to make a cameo (while singing and dancing) as well?

Maybe I would've been more forgiving if it wasn't taking place in the Macross universe. Or by the same studio that created MACROSS ZERO.
Jan 2, 2016 1:22 AM

Aug 2013
The question is, will Delta kills Macross franchise for good..?
Jan 2, 2016 3:30 AM
Feb 2013
I am not 100% sure yet about the whole fighting idols stuff, but it went way better than what I expected. I might end up liking it.
Jan 2, 2016 4:58 AM
Aug 2015
Totally hated the episode, not only the animation and CGI are worst than Frontier, but the magical girl thing ? seriously?
I'm horrified, it is clearly worse than the Eureka7 Ao franchise rape.
Jan 2, 2016 5:13 AM

May 2010
what the hell did they do to the CGI? it looked better in frontier and zero!
Jan 2, 2016 6:19 AM

Jun 2011
I was expecting to see some small cameo from Macross F's cast but...no. Well at least it was a decent episode though.
Jan 2, 2016 6:39 AM

Dec 2014
Back then Macross with Pop Idols was awesome. Now we have a show that uses the word "Macross" as a name but actually it's just a show that centered purely on Pop Idols. The action and space opera is just a stage background nothing to take serious here it's just a concert for the fanboys.
Jan 2, 2016 11:18 AM

Nov 2012
I enjoyed it, although the suits of the idol girls seems a bit silly, but it's Macross.
Looks like the redhead that pointed the gun at MC is the daughter of Maximilian Jenius from the first Macross and Macross 7

amateur said:
Nachtwandler_21 said:

As another person who watched all the franchise I'll say that you are saying nonsense. It's not crazier than Macross 7 or SDF with all this music affection. And they are not magical girls. Transformation costumes were in Macross F, and nothing special with them using drones for fighting IMHO.

There's a reason why Macross 7 is considered by most the absolute worst in the entire franchise tho...
Nah fuck you, Macross 7 was the best in the franchise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6N-7iI5hfI
Jan 2, 2016 12:55 PM
Nov 2012
I'm sorry but this was a bad idea to have episode 0 then have episode 1 in a couple of months away. Now it just seems Macross delta will be heavily judged by episode 0 because we have to wait in a couple of months for episode 1.

The characters for some reason heavily remain me of the characters of Macross Frontier.
Freyja seems modeled after Ranka, Mikumo character remains me of Sheryl, Hayate seems to be a similar situation that Alto was once in & his necklace looks like a fold quartz.

The ost seems ok & grows on you but it's not a song that strikes me at first like diamond crevasse.
LazerEyeBeamJan 2, 2016 3:24 PM
Jan 2, 2016 1:01 PM

Dec 2008
I like Macross franchise, but while watching this ep I was constatly repeating „What in the flying frack am I watching?”. Macross has a profound history of mingling fighter crafts with singers, but this time it is simply an overkill, an itano circus of magical girls instead of rockets.
desuminatorJan 2, 2016 1:06 PM
Jan 2, 2016 1:38 PM

Apr 2008
WhatShtIsThis said:
One thing you have to remember about Macross is that it reflects the music trends in real life at the time.
The original had 80s idols, 7 had 90s J-rock band, Frontier had the idols we got now, and Delta deals with idol groups which are also pretty damn popular nowadays.

I am glad someone else ITT understands.
Jan 2, 2016 2:15 PM
Nov 2014
This was pretty fucking bad. Is Kawamori high on crack?
And what's with the Jenius chick. Is she even trying?

RIP in pieces, Macross franchise.
Jan 2, 2016 2:44 PM

Aug 2013
What the hell Var Syndrome is..?
Jan 2, 2016 2:50 PM

Feb 2008
I can read a lot of complains for episode 0 how bad CGI is and so on but it still episode 0 and early released, but quality sure can improved by these months.
When I downloaded this episode I thought it should be some kind of behind scene talking like usually but it was really anime released call SP.
I like song and it doesn't look all that bad.

New voice actor have a nice voice love that. xD

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 2, 2016 3:21 PM

Aug 2013
WhatShtIsThis said:

Thanks for the informations (fingers crossed).

Probably because we're already seen that in Kawamori-sensei & AkiP's side project..
Jan 2, 2016 4:05 PM

Jan 2009
Spring 2016?????? fuck my life i loved it so much im actually dying and now i have to wait THAT LONG
fuck everything im out
Jan 2, 2016 5:08 PM

Jan 2008
Farabeuf said:
but making your idols into magical girls is jumping the shark in my opinion.

Your opinion is quite wrong considering Basara flew out into space with a robot that had its own guitar to try and literally sing the enemy into submission. The shark was jumped a long time ago.

As a bonus for me, I am absolutely LOVING how salty most of these comments are. I don't know why, but reading/hearing about how magical girls have invaded and degraded the Macross name is amusing to me. From the very first installment, Macross has been a show about Japanese idols saving the universe trhough music. The only thing that actually changed is the type of idol, to reflect the current idol trend in Japan. Why is that so hard to understand?
DmonHiroJan 2, 2016 5:15 PM
Jan 2, 2016 5:16 PM

Mar 2013
Just seeing the first episode I can understand some people are upset or confused. A lot more color than past series and the tech is on the level of magic. Music might not be liked by everyone but I want to hear a few more songs to be sure. Kind of interested in the main two characters, the girl knows where she wants to go and is going straight there without thinking while the guy doesn't know where to go and is just trying to find somewhere he can stick. I really don't think it'll go as low as Macross 7 did and it might not be as good as the first or frontier but I'm still hoping it turns out good.
Jan 2, 2016 5:31 PM

Jul 2015
Well, I never really liked the singing stuff theme, even in the original, but if you allow it and its influence and power to exist in this Macross universe and include all the other series (Zero, 7 (btw its shit as hell), Plus, and Frontier) the evolution of telecinetic singing powers REALLY is a logical continuation. Of course the magical girl and idol stuff is pure fan service, but I might be able to deal with it if I shut off my brain as in any other series concerning this topic. ^^ Especially Zero made an atempt to the metaphysic and spiritual level, so im not really wondering about Delta. :)

@ CGI animation: Yeah, its not horrible, but the Mechs dont really look that cool and well presented. But there is time till spring 2016 and I still got hope.
@ chars: Cant say i dislike them, so if the story will be good (enough) I stil might get to like Delta as well (besides the magical girl theme)

Overall I enjoyed it despite contradicting to all the hate by the hardcore Macross fans, but its too early really to judge this with this episode alone. ^^
PirateMadrykJan 2, 2016 5:42 PM
Jan 2, 2016 7:27 PM

Aug 2010
It just feels disgusting and wrong, coming from someone who actually liked 7. Not enough information to make a fair judgment, but i still dont like it.
Signatures Suck
Jan 2, 2016 8:11 PM

Oct 2008
Just finished watching from [gg]
I was corny but at the same time it was cool & epic but I don't know what the hell is going-on...

Jan 2, 2016 8:40 PM

Oct 2008
Just to check, was this the full, first episode? Where did it stream originally?
Jan 2, 2016 10:12 PM

Jul 2015
Actar said:
Just to check, was this the full, first episode? Where did it stream originally?

iirc a public viewing event, but dunno where, when and so on. ^^
Jan 2, 2016 10:47 PM

May 2015
WhatShtIsThis said:

The whole idol/VF pairing thing was interesting, and for WIP footage, it was pretty okay, the character animations weren't bad, the CG ain't perfect but hey, you can count with your hands how many TV anime does CG well.

The action scenes were good though, nice songs as well.

I don't see magic either, the songs calm them down, the drones provides the protection and distraction via holograms. The transformation was there even in Macross Frontier, holograms used in concerts to "change" outfits, a portable version of that wouldn't be farfetched.
Give this man a cookie! Adding to that holograms were even used way back, remember Macross Plus? in Sharon Apple concert holograms were part of the attraction...

Since the rumors of a Macross new series on the works and then the announcement of Delta I was hoping for a Megaroad-01 journey sotry as we see them depart in The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012. I wanted to see more of Lynn, Hikaru & Misa since Macroos 7 gave me the opportunity to see Maximilian Jenius, Milia Fallyna Jenius & Exsedol Folmo (Hey I'm a long, long time Macross fan and I’m not saying this to undercut other people’s opinions nor I’m saying mine is the sentiment of all Macross fans {I understand their frustrations}) Understanding that one of Macross main themes is music second to love and this being made by Japanese were Idols are pretty popular, I understood since the Art promo was released that it was pretty obvious this was going to go the Idol group on stage route and as a fan I prepared myself and was expecting something worse than this to be honest…

I cannot lie I was glued to the TV screen trying to find a cameo or a recognizable VF mecha…

The thing that this preview/episodes confirm to me is that things are not going to be pretty, pretty kyun, kyun, moe, moe smooth in terms of the girl being unscathed in the batlle field as you can clearly see that the girls are in constant danger considering they do not have magic (thank goodness! ^_^) I know they have some kind of spiritual power but I’m ok with that previous Macross have touch and explained… I’m talking about magic as in super powers not channeling emotions a recurrent theme in Macross. That being said they relied on technology and her VF partner and the thing is they are not that OP (they were fighting grunts level enemies and the fight was though) and knowing the Macross franchise sorrow and sadness is not going to be far away from the main girls.

The art style of the enemies’ pilot well because this is being made in Japan the staff is going to go the Shōjo male architype route… I’m sure one or more are going to end as love interest to the Idol girls and you don’t want an old bald guy as a lover for the girls, this is not a hentai anime Lol! Now seriously to be fair considering the times 80’s, 90’s, 00’s (SDF Macross) Roy Focker, Hikaru & Max, (Macross Zero) Shin, (Macross Plus) Isamu & Guld, (Macross 7) Basara, (Macross F) Alto & Mikhail weren’t drawn ugly…
The dodge fights were decent, the art is okay minus the CG, so in that regard this anime is watchable…

Yes, there were some Jem and the Holograms 80's cartoon momments but this is a Japanese Idol Macross themed show and if youwatch a lot of Japanese videos or anime you know that Idols own the stage (WTF!? am I saying Lol!) this cant be helped...

The romance & music I’m not going to worry about that is Macross.

The thing that I’m most interest is the plot and how all this is tied to the Macross universe…

So time will tell is this is garbage or good.
Roy_FockerJan 2, 2016 10:48 PM
Jan 3, 2016 12:32 AM

Mar 2013
ernietheracefan said:

Good question: Hopelessness, chaos, rebellion, people just don't want to be part of the system anymore, something similar to why the Zentradi never fully joined humans? Those are my guesses just quickly thinking about why people would suddenly start killing everyone, I'm guessing there's going to be a point that there's something about the people which makes the music that caused Var more effective but like everything about any preview more info is needed to make a full conclusion.
Jan 3, 2016 12:38 AM

Apr 2014
LazerEyeBeam said:
I'm sorry but this was a bad idea to have episode 0 then have episode 1 in a couple of months away. Now it just seems Macross delta will be heavily judged by episode 0 because we have to wait in a couple of months for episode 1.

The characters for some reason heavily remain me of the characters of Macross Frontier.
Freyja seems modeled after Ranka, Mikumo character remains me of Sheryl, Hayate seems to be a similar situation that Alto was once in & his necklace looks like a fold quartz.

The ost seems ok & grows on you but it's not a song that strikes me at first like diamond crevasse.
heavily judged by who lmfao a bunch of kids on a forum in the west?

the japs love this and will eat it up and it will only make them more hyped.
Jan 3, 2016 2:06 AM

Oct 2010
Quite a bit more pop song heavy and colourful than the macrosses i have watched (which arent that much). And yes i know the concept of macross is hereby not changed or hurt etc.
Let's see what this series will bring more.
igundamJan 3, 2016 2:06 AM
Jan 3, 2016 6:43 AM

Mar 2010
I liked the absurdity of it all. Can't say the same for most of the individual elements like the characters (Freyja is kind of annoying, Mikumo has some personality unlike her fellow idols in the episode), or much of the CGI. The second song was much better than the first.
Jan 3, 2016 7:52 AM

Feb 2015
they combined idol and mecha. i don't really into that kind of stuff. kinda ruin the mood tbh, if they combined it. but overall it was an okay show from me. the girls looked cute and the action wasn't so bad either. just the story. bad thing happen because of a voice, and to cure it, they need to sing --". is it only me or everyone think that his anime is similiar to AKB0048? i haven't watch it yet but i have seen a few scene of it. sing and with some mecha stuff flying everywhere. the song was okay imo. didn't sound bad or good. just okay. i think i will try to watch the first episode that air in the spring.
Jan 3, 2016 8:06 AM

Aug 2013
Ptrico94 said:
ernietheracefan said:

Good question: Hopelessness, chaos, rebellion, people just don't want to be part of the system anymore, something similar to why the Zentradi never fully joined humans? Those are my guesses just quickly thinking about why people would suddenly start killing everyone, I'm guessing there's going to be a point that there's something about the people which makes the music that caused Var more effective but like everything about any preview more info is needed to make a full conclusion.

Like Valentine's SIM-card from Kingsman The Secret Service..?
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

246 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.