Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 6, 2015 9:18 AM

Jan 2014
Was actually creeped out >__<
Oct 6, 2015 9:25 AM

Aug 2014
The acting was just fine, so was the animation. Unrealistic and cliche would be her screaming bloody murder and running out of the house. Criticize it for what it is, a low budget short with an interesting idea and presentation. Not a top talent studio's full length feature film. This was interesting.

"There are cameras everywhere in the modern world, monitoring our lives 24/7. Those "eyes" have seen the world you do not know."

Sounds like it's gonna be an episodic show with this "thing" appearing in different situations from the point of view of someone at their computer or phone? I like it. It's definitely intriguing enough for three mins of my time.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Oct 6, 2015 9:44 AM

Feb 2014
Protaku94 said:
For what it was worth, I kind of liked it. It's no Yami Shibai, but already better than Yami Shibai S2 at least.

That's not a hard thing to achieve tbh.

I like this better than Kagewani so far, the actresses are adorable ; u ;
Oct 6, 2015 10:49 AM
Dec 2012
Lockensocke said:
2weeaboo4u said:

Disney is actually very overrated.

You can say what you want, in animation quality it beats every japanese studio.

People only think so because they think that fluidity is the only thing that matters in animation, because they aren't aware Disney made extensive use of rotoscoping (and even recycled it), because they don't understand anything about animation in general, and because they think there only exists a single style of animation (Disney's) that is definitely better than everything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_%281937_film%29
Under animation, 4th paragraph it says: quote "None of Babbit's animation of the Queen was rotoscoped despite Graham and Natwick's objections, however, some scenes of Snow White and the Prince were directly traced from the live-action footage"
so it was partially rotoscoped(for example the famous scene where she is at the fountain). I wont make a statement on the other movies, since I havent seen them.

I was talking about Kid's Story, not Snow White.
Oct 6, 2015 11:49 AM

Mar 2013
2weeaboo4u said:

People only think so because they think that fluidity is the only thing that matters in animation, because they aren't aware Disney made extensive use of rotoscoping (and even recycled it), because they don't understand anything about animation in general, and because they think there only exists a single style of animation (Disney's) that is definitely better than everything else.

Credibility of motion is the core essence of what animation is suppost to be. So yeah, fluidity is the most important thing when you objectivly speak about animation, everything else is just subjectivly. But enlighenme what you think is important in animation. And what exactly is bad about "extensive use of rotoscoping"? Using live action movment is logically the best way to echo realistic motions.
Oct 6, 2015 11:57 AM

Jun 2015
a bit too short for having a different story every ep, but i'll take it.

Oct 6, 2015 12:40 PM
Dec 2012
Lockensocke said:
Credibility of motion is the core essence of what animation is suppost to be. So yeah, fluidity is the most important thing when you objectivly speak about animation, everything else is just subjectivly. But enlighenme what you think is important in animation.

This is an example of good animation. The character's outfit consists of six independently moving parts (skirt, shirt, collar, necktie, bag, bag accessory) that respond appropriately to her movements and deform realistically. Her uniform is detailed with decorative stripes rather than being all solid colors (and it's not just painted onto her skin, it's a separate object). Her hair is very detailed and realistically animated. Her expression is detailed and keeps changing. The lighting and shading—determined by light sources in the scene—is detailed and brings out the shape of her clothes. The camera work is varied and very three-dimensional.

This fight scene is another example. It has all the same thing as the first exampl but with extremely complex character movement and camera work. This opening animation has outstanding three-dimensional shots of vehicles and characters. Note the very high level of detail in both of them even during the most complicated shots.

Credibility of motion doesn't require animating on ones, it requires good animation. Animating on twos or threes is enough.

And what exactly is bad about "extensive use of rotoscoping"? Using live action movment is logically the best way to echo realistic motions.

Rotoscoping isn't real animation and there's nothing interesting or really impressive about it. Realistic motion is impressive when it's done by hand, from the animator's imagination or from reference footage (which I don't think is used very often in anime).
Oct 6, 2015 1:55 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was actually scary o.O
Oct 6, 2015 2:14 PM

Aug 2015
That was, way WORSE than I spected , 3 episodes law, I think that I'm going to drop this.....
AcceltoineOct 6, 2015 2:24 PM
Oct 6, 2015 2:16 PM

Sep 2013
Lockensocke said:
2weeaboo4u said:

Disney is actually very overrated.

Go watch REDLINE then come back.
Oct 6, 2015 2:30 PM

Mar 2013
2weeaboo4u said:
Lockensocke said:
Credibility of motion is the core essence of what animation is suppost to be. So yeah, fluidity is the most important thing when you objectivly speak about animation, everything else is just subjectivly. But enlighenme what you think is important in animation.

This is an example of good animation. The character's outfit consists of six independently moving parts (skirt, shirt, collar, necktie, bag, bag accessory) that respond appropriately to her movements and deform realistically. Her uniform is detailed with decorative stripes rather than being all solid colors (and it's not just painted onto her skin, it's a separate object). Her hair is very detailed and realistically animated. Her expression is detailed and keeps changing. The lighting and shading—determined by light sources in the scene—is detailed and brings out the shape of her clothes. The camera work is varied and very three-dimensional.

This fight scene is another example. It has all the same thing as the first exampl but with extremely complex character movement and camera work. This opening animation has outstanding three-dimensional shots of vehicles and characters. Note the very high level of detail in both of them even during the most complicated shots.

Credibility of motion doesn't require animating on ones, it requires good animation. Animating on twos or threes is enough.

And what exactly is bad about "extensive use of rotoscoping"? Using live action movment is logically the best way to echo realistic motions.

Rotoscoping isn't real animation and there's nothing interesting or really impressive about it. Realistic motion is impressive when it's done by hand, from the animator's imagination or from reference footage (which I don't think is used very often in anime).

Your first example was solid but not as good as you make it out to be.
First of all, do you apply that the picture consists out of 6 separate parts? Because it doesn’t, this isn’t flash animation, this is one picture drawn multiple times. Her running around the corner had crappy cgi backgrounds which moves in a different speed than her and the whole scene doesn’t look realistically because a person doesn’t move with the same constant speed, after the feet hit the ground you become shortly slower, because of friction and then you accelerate. They faked it on her because she bounces, but you can see that on the background, that’s why the whole scene looks fake. Also the angle in which she runs around the corner looks slightly fake. Also what happened to the guy with the green shirt, he suddenly is torn out of the picture.
Then we come to lightning. This is the worst part. Despite having multiple light sources (cars, stars, light reflection on the surface of the water, street lights, etc.) she has hard edged shadows on her even though only slight edge shadows should appear. And her shadows only consist of 3 different colors (ok, many works only have 3 layers). Also you see that she does not project any shadow on the ground and the shadows projected for example from the pillar changes the direction from second 2 to second 5.
If you want to post me good animation at least post me something like this: https://youtu.be/8fYR2huWNHY?t=28m50s where you have highly detailed lightning while moving the angle of the frame.
Then you take into consideration that her outfight is not that detailed compared to other works (compared to sword of the stranger for example)
Just look at this picture and tell me which one is more detailed, and btw the right one moves more realistically.
https://gyazo.com/d355c0d9105f17beeff836164e663700
Another good example would be:
https://youtu.be/8fYR2huWNHY?t=27m57s
-highly detailed outfight with highly detailed lighting on it
Yeah Sword of the Stranger is a greatly animated movie, but many anime movies are at the level of Disney (many Ghibli movies, Akira, Redline, Spriggan, Ghost in the Shell or like you posted, Jin Roh). But you don’t have the quantity of these high quality works like Disney has. Not to mention that Disney revolutionized animated movies.
Well ofc Disney only makes Cgi movies now and Disneys cgi is pretty inferior to works from Pixars or Dreamworks but at least a whole lot better than anime cgi.
And the third one you posted me was a troll, right?
And if Rotoscoping is unimpressive for you or not is unimportant, what matters is the quality of the animation on the finished product, beside the fact that it also was a revolutionizing way to make animated movies. (the thing you posted me could as well be made by rotoscoping btw)
LockensockeOct 6, 2015 2:42 PM
Oct 6, 2015 2:35 PM

Mar 2013
ichii_1 said:
Lockensocke said:

Go watch REDLINE then come back.

Yeah because 1 outstanding product justifies the massiv amount of shitty animated works.

I already said it to the other guy, yes there are movies equal in quality to Disney(many) but no STUDIO where that revolutionizing and no studio have the quantity.
Oct 6, 2015 2:52 PM

Sep 2014
Pretty cool, would've been scarier if just the Spike screen was tripping out instead of the entire computer.
Oct 6, 2015 3:14 PM

Apr 2015
Wasn't exactly sure how this was going to be like, but this was pretty intriguing.
Oct 6, 2015 3:23 PM
Dec 2012
Lockensocke said:
First of all, do you apply that the picture consists out of 6 separate parts? Because it doesn’t, this isn’t flash animation, this is one picture drawn multiple times.

The animation doesn't consist of six separate parts, her outfit does. That's what I said. Animating a character in motion with a lot of independently moving parts is much harder than animating one with little or no moving parts.

Her running around the corner had crappy cgi backgrounds which moves in a different speed than her and the whole scene doesn’t look realistically because a person doesn’t move with the same constant speed, after the feet hit the ground you become shortly slower, because of friction and then you accelerate. They faked it on her because she bounces, but you can see that on the background, that’s why the whole scene looks fake. Also the angle in which she runs around the corner looks slightly fake.

No.

Also what happened to the guy with the green shirt, he suddenly is torn out of the picture.

He clearly leaves the frame. What are you talking about?

Then we come to lightning. This is the worst part. Despite having multiple light sources (cars, stars, light reflection on the surface of the water, street lights, etc.) she has hard edged shadows on her even though only slight edge shadows should appear. And her shadows only consist of 3 different colors (ok, many works only have 3 layers). Also you see that she does not project any shadow on the ground and the shadows projected for example from the pillar changes the direction from second 2 to second 5.

Starlight and light reflections from the water in those lighting conditions? You're just going out of your way to find things to complain about. You're also not taking into account that Hibike is a TV show, not a movie. They are two very different things production-wise.

If you want to post me good animation at least post me something like this: https://youtu.be/8fYR2huWNHY?t=28m50s where you have highly detailed lightning while moving the angle of the frame.

There's really nothing spectacular about that. It's also from a movie. TV shows and movies, as a rule, shouldn't be compared.

Then you take into consideration that her outfight is not that detailed compared to other works (compared to sword of the stranger for example)
Just look at this picture and tell me which one is more detailed, and btw the right one moves more realistically.
https://gyazo.com/d355c0d9105f17beeff836164e663700

Sword of the Stranger and Spriggan are movies.

Another good example would be:
https://youtu.be/8fYR2huWNHY?t=27m57s
-highly detailed outfight with highly detailed lighting on it

Also almost no animation.

And why are you so fixated on lighting? I never emphasized lighting in that scene, it was just one of the things I mentioned. I also never compared it to anything (let alone movies).

Yeah Sword of the Stranger is a greatly animated movie, but many anime movies are at the level of Disney (many Ghibli movies, Akira, Redline, Spriggan, Ghost in the Shell or like you posted, Jin Roh). But you don’t have the quantity of these high quality works like Disney has.

Many anime movies are better than Disney, you mean. Like I said, Disney is very overrated.

Not to mention that Disney revolutionized animated movies.

Not relevant.

Well ofc Disney only makes Cgi movies now and Disneys cgi is pretty inferior to works from Pixars or Dreamworks but at least a whole lot better than anime cgi.

I never said anything about CG.

And the third one you posted me was a troll, right?

If you really think so, it means you don't know the first thing about animation.

And if Rotoscoping is unimpressive for you or not is unimportant, what matters is the quality of the animation on the finished product

Not only do you not know anything about animation, but you don't even appreciate it as an artform.
Oct 6, 2015 3:49 PM

Mar 2013
2weeaboo4u said:

Not only do you not know anything about animation, but you don't even appreciate it as an artform.

Ok, now I know that you are only trolling me. Have a nice day and good bye.
Oct 6, 2015 3:51 PM
Dec 2012
Lockensocke said:
Ok now I see you are trolling me. Have a nice day!

You're really going to pretend you're actually some animation fan? Really? You just said you don't care anything about how something is animated. You don't care about the skill and artistry that goes into animation. That's what you said just now.
Oct 6, 2015 4:56 PM

Jun 2014
ohh wasnt expecting a 3min short...
Maybe this will be a good show for halloween.
Oct 6, 2015 6:49 PM

Jun 2010
Vindstot said:
That was more comical than scary. Well, hopefully the next ones would be better. ILCA probably should've focused on making Yami Shibai 3 instead.
Oct 6, 2015 7:00 PM

Dec 2014
Vindstot said:
That was more comical than scary. Well, hopefully the next ones would be better. ILCA probably should've focused on making Yami Shibai 3 instead.
Oct 6, 2015 7:08 PM
Oct 2009
Meh.. it was ok. They did alright with generating tension with not much, but it wasn't novel or anything.
3/5
Oct 6, 2015 8:34 PM

Oct 2011
Holy...OMG 0___0

ED song brightened my mood though
Oct 7, 2015 3:13 AM

Nov 2008
This is fine too ;__; I just want more horror stuff
Oct 7, 2015 5:10 AM

Apr 2015
It reminded me of Unfriended too. The thing? on the camera was creepy,but not enough to jumpscare I guess
Oct 7, 2015 10:24 AM

Aug 2015
I expected a massive jump scare but it's okay, also WTF 3 MINUTES!?!
Oct 7, 2015 11:13 AM

Mar 2014
I hope not every episode is gonna have the skype style. I also felt the ending took away any atmosphere from the episode. But I love this kinda thing so I look forward to the next episodes.
Oct 7, 2015 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
It remind me of Aku no Hana...will try some more episodes, might drop...
Oct 7, 2015 7:33 PM

Feb 2015
Probably shouldn't of watched it before going to bed. It was a bit scary.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Oct 7, 2015 7:47 PM

Nov 2014
I dunno what to think of this, felt like those cheap home-made screamer videos one can find around internet, and not even was scary, also the rotoscoping feels really pointless in this.

2/5.
Oct 7, 2015 8:05 PM

Feb 2013
Interesting. I'm at least intrigued.
Oct 7, 2015 8:27 PM

Jun 2011
Shitty comedy and shitty ending song. Hardly scary, just a deranged design for the 'ghost'.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 8, 2015 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
Yeah ^, sadly you have a point.

Though, I don't know where did you find the comedy...

By the way, I like this because it seems to be watching "Yami Shibai" again. The feeling seems to be that.
Oct 8, 2015 9:21 AM

Jun 2011
NostalgiaDrive94 said:
Though, I don't know where did you find the comedy...
"It's so bad it's funny", but not.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 9, 2015 9:08 AM

Apr 2011
Uhm the rotoscop-ing gave it a creepy feel (I guess). I thought the first episode was kind of scary .. but it was probably I chose to watch it in the dark, alone, in my room, at 1am (while everyone was sleeping..) >-<
Oct 9, 2015 11:03 AM

Jan 2013
This anime reminds me of Unfriended xD
But only 3 min isn't enough :/
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 9, 2015 2:39 PM

Dec 2012
Interesting, it's rare to see a horror anime.
I know it's another technique, but the animation is very weird
Oct 9, 2015 6:48 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I believe an anime like this would be better if the episodes were longer.

2/5
Oct 9, 2015 11:33 PM

May 2014
Horrid said:
mangalicker94 said:
so anyone found the first ep.? ^^

It's on their website http://www.kbc.co.jp/kowabon/story/detail.html?id=2
and there's a raw up on nyaa torrents

Oh, I see. I just wanted to see it with subs. :/ BUt I guess I have to wait for taht?
Oct 9, 2015 11:35 PM

May 2014
BlueEyedUchiha said:
mangalicker94 said:
so anyone found the first ep.? ^^

http://kissanime.com/Anime/Kowabon/Episode-001?id=117736

found it on nyaa too. thanks for reply :)
Oct 11, 2015 8:10 AM

Aug 2015
It was alright. It wasn't too scary though I didn't expect much from a 3 minute anime. The roto-scoping effect was interesting, I haven't seen much of that or even knew what it was until I saw this. It was a pretty cliche horror show, average overall.

I hope we see more LA at the ends tho, that was my favorite part! haha
Oct 11, 2015 2:21 PM

May 2014
The first ep. were rather funny and hilarious than scary. LOL, the woman that were bending her body were hilarious.
Oct 11, 2015 7:49 PM

Dec 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
Pretty happy go lucky ED there.
Lmao, caught me off guard.

Not as scary as I expected it to be, meh.
Oct 12, 2015 12:54 AM

May 2010
Oh, that was interesting. I hope they show cute girls at end every episode, those are better.
Oct 12, 2015 6:10 AM
Jul 2018
Holly sh*t that was so scary!
I have to recover before I feel strong enough to watch episode 2. xD
I'm sticking to this show!
Oct 12, 2015 11:55 PM

Nov 2007
YES.
Oct 13, 2015 2:30 AM
Jan 2014
tbh... I just found it to be very boring
expected something else
but well ^^''
Oct 13, 2015 5:56 PM

Jul 2015
Well that was kinda creepy...but definitely too short, I mean c'mon, only 2 minutes?

I guess I'll keep watching it anyways, the rotoscoping effect was interesting (I'm not familiarized with the term, this is literally the first rotoscoping animation I've seen).
♪♪ All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be ♪♪

Oct 14, 2015 12:28 PM

Jun 2013
that was surprisingly interesting
Oct 17, 2015 12:33 PM

Apr 2015
I love how they added how they made it after the episode, I hope they keep doing that after all the episodes
Oct 18, 2015 7:27 PM
Jun 2015
raveninthemuddle said:
Lockensocke said:
And "frame rate" is a completely incorrect term when speaking about anime. EVERY anime is made with 24 frames per seconds, there is no rate where it drops or gets higher, that’s only in videogames. Sure they use the same picture for multiple frames, but that’s a process called "Limited animation" and is used even in Disney movies, where you have probably the best animation when it comes to animated media.

Of course I'm talking about the rate of key frame per second, what else it can be? What kind of anime fan I am who don't know the different between frame rate of a video and the key frame of animation?

Framerate is just a measurement of frame count over time. It's a term applicable to both video games and animation, as well as literally anything else that can be divided into discrete frames played in sequence (a.k.a. all video). It's the same concept and the same terminology in both cases. You both have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

And to clarify, that's not what a keyframe is. A keyframe is a frame that is created (usually at the extremes of motion) to define what the overall movement will look like. Then the keyframes are inbetweened - in hand-drawn animation, that means drawing some number of transition frames in between each keyframe to smooth out the motion, and in digital animation (e.g. flash or 3D CGI), keyframes are usually inbetweened automatically.

Most animation is produced at 24 frames per second, but due to the exorbitant time cost of drawing that many inbetweens, hand-drawn animation is almost always drawn "on the twos", i.e. skipping every other frame and drawing only 12 frames per second, or at an even lower framerate (usually other factors of 24) for scenes with less action or movement.

So now you know.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kowabon Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2015

39 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:05 PM

Poll: » Kowabon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2015

53 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 11, 2023 2:30 PM

Poll: » Kowabon Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

24 by FireRifle64 »»
Aug 27, 2022 2:59 AM

Poll: » Kowabon Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

9 by FireRifle64 »»
Aug 27, 2022 2:51 AM

Poll: » Kowabon Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2015

15 by FireRifle64 »»
Aug 27, 2022 2:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.