Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Oct 4, 2015 9:29 AM
Apr 2010
This anime...

Light Sabers/10

Seriously, I opened this anime up to hear the sounds of Jedi's fighting.
Oct 4, 2015 9:38 AM

Feb 2015
Maybe I should continue reading the LN.
Oct 4, 2015 9:56 AM

Mar 2013
nothing new but not a bad start
6/10 for now
Oct 4, 2015 12:02 PM

Feb 2014
A pretty generic start. The usual clichés were there, the good and bad ones, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

The art & animation looks great, in both the ED(will be the OP for the 2nd episode onwards) as well as the whole episode in general.

Hopefully, this should be a good show. =D
Oct 4, 2015 12:13 PM

Dec 2012
Same beginning that all ecchi action anime. The animation of the fights seem good.
Oct 4, 2015 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
I call Bullsh*t whoever is saying that this anime season will suck.. I mean look at this anime
-Good animation
-less fanservice
-Very enjoyable fight scenes
-No annoying tsundere as a heroine (Louise-Zero Tsukumia whatevs)

I hope to see more of this *Thumbs up*
Oct 4, 2015 12:29 PM

Nov 2010
What I'm sad of is that this would be a pretty good fun if it tosses all of its uninspiring fanservice away, rewrite the poor lines, and focus in shounen like battle action tournament/duels with good action and interesting circumtances behind them... With 6 unique factions and their own characteristics in battle and atmosphere.

But uh oh, this is LN so it must follow the holy guideline. I second the poster in 1st page, I would play this if this is actually an eushully game.

Will still watch ep 2 for Maaya Sakamoto x Rasmus Faber ED and solid production value.
Oct 4, 2015 12:38 PM
Jul 2011
But a duel.
Since I was watching Yugioh Arc V, I was actually hooked into Ayato vs the princess in this episode.
Really loved the graphics in the fight scene.
And then remembered this is not a duel fighting with cards.
I guess I was expecting too much if there's a character such as Sakaki Yuya pursuing to become Entertainment Duelist.
Too bad for Ayato's sister, she wasn't in a duel that can be enjoyed between her and the opponent, it was like fight to the death.
I want to hear something like, "Ladies and Gentlemen!" for a long time actually.
Oct 4, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2015
ElectricRed said:
I call Bullsh*t whoever is saying that this anime season will suck.. I mean look at this anime
-Good animation
-less fanservice

+1
Oct 4, 2015 1:45 PM

Sep 2014
Xenocrisi said:
ElectricRed said:
-Good animation
-less fanservice

+1

Did you even watch the episode?
Oct 4, 2015 3:09 PM

Aug 2015
Miragee said:
Xenocrisi said:

+1

I feel like she is a little bit tsudere but not an annoying one. Also, the fan-service people seem to complain here is very short-lived and moderate.
Oct 4, 2015 4:34 PM

Apr 2011
It was ok for first episode I will watch another couple episodes to get a understanding of it
Oct 4, 2015 5:01 PM
Jun 2015
Genre:Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem, Romance, School, Sci-Fi, Supernatural
Ofc there will be fan service because one of its genre is ecchi. You can't just have ecchi without some fan service. I suggest watching few more episodes and then are your complaints.
Oct 4, 2015 5:11 PM

Oct 2011
I wonder of Julis has a deep dark secret about her?
Oct 4, 2015 5:46 PM

Jun 2013
I thought this was a pretty damn good start :)
Oct 4, 2015 6:55 PM

Aug 2015
Not a bad start but I definitely liked Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry better.
Oct 4, 2015 7:42 PM

Jul 2015
Well, I really enjoyed that first ep. Will definitely keep watching this on and the next season in Apr 2016. Like I don't want anime for a living like some here so this is nice to me, I would only see this as a bad anime if I watch too many anime I believe. 8/10 for now I love it. Claudia has my sick humour
Oct 4, 2015 10:00 PM
Jan 2013
Really? I mean you can read in the genres ecchi, harem , etc.. but some people that dont like that ,still watch it just to complain about it in the comments? In the past people watched anime for enjoyment now it appears that they watch it just to find the bad things and complain.
Oct 5, 2015 12:14 AM

Sep 2014
xeco said:
Really? I mean you can read in the genres ecchi, harem , etc.. but some people that dont like that ,still watch it just to complain about it in the comments? In the past people watched anime for enjoyment now it appears that they watch it just to find the bad things and complain.

There is a lot of enjoyment to be had in hating/trashing away on a show. :)
Oct 5, 2015 12:41 AM

May 2014
Humm this was pretty good
"A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death" -Lelouch Vi Brittania
Oct 5, 2015 1:04 AM

Aug 2012
It's like Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, but better.
Oct 5, 2015 2:24 AM

Jun 2008
HandsomeMan said:
Stark700 said:
MC sees Julis half naked while dressing and we get the "OH SHIT, HE SAW IT" moment.

Every harem anime in a nutshell. Can't get more generic than that.

First episode was pretty boring. Dunno what to think about the anime for now but I'm not really impressed.
Oct 5, 2015 2:34 AM

Jan 2014
GODDAMN NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE SCHOOL BATTLE ANIMES

Seriously though, excellent visuals and music (dat OP man, the spotlight). Story? rip

I just hope the MC is not cringy as fuck.
NakatoshiOct 5, 2015 2:38 AM
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Oct 5, 2015 2:43 AM
Aug 2012
Visualized said:

Seriously though, excellent visuals and music (dat OP man, the spotlight). Story? rip

Just curious.........why is the story RIP after only 1 episode? Seriously did you expect to get the whole story in one episode?

Looks like a lot of people here knows how a football match will end after just watching the first few minutes.....can someone share their secrets?

Oct 5, 2015 3:12 AM

Sep 2014
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Visualized said:

Just curious.........why is the story RIP after only 1 episode? Seriously did you expect to get the whole story in one episode?

Looks like a lot of people here knows how a football match will end after just watching the first few minutes.....can someone share their secrets?

Experience with observing details. If I look at _how_ the story-telling was done in ep1 I expect the rest of the story to be shit. It's as simple as that. It's like watching some champions league team playing against some 14 year old street kids. With no prior knowledge you will be able to predict the ending after the first few minutes...
Oct 5, 2015 3:21 AM

Apr 2015
I like the action. Its promising. xD
Oct 5, 2015 3:27 AM

Jan 2014
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Visualized said:

The story here is that some schools battle their top students with a little bit of some subplots. Seriously, it's not like the story will have some groundbreaking plot.

Don't worry, it's not like I'm gonna shitpost here every episode. I'm just confident it will be another mediocre anime. If, by the end of its run, it actually ends in a good way, I'll stand corrected.
NakatoshiOct 5, 2015 3:30 AM
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Oct 5, 2015 3:36 AM
Aug 2012
Miragee said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Experience with observing details. If I look at _how_ the story-telling was done in ep1 I expect the rest of the story to be shit. It's as simple as that. It's like watching some champions league team playing against some 14 year old street kids. With no prior knowledge you will be able to predict the ending after the first few minutes...

You know even a 5 year old can find a better excuse than that...........your subjective opinion and observation isn't always going to be correct. And the worst thing is even if your so called elitist observation turns out dead wrong and bitchslaps you in your face, some people still don't admit it because of their bias. Oh there are also some thing called "Surprising results" in a game too.

Then again why am i wasting my time again replying to someone who literally said:
Miragee said:

Some people have a lot of free time for shitposting and hating for dumb reasons. Pardon be for being rude but i don't have a good opinion your types
Dragon_Slayer_XOct 5, 2015 3:49 AM

Oct 5, 2015 4:09 AM

May 2014
I never thought an Anime's episode discussion could ever be useful. Now I don't have to waste 20 or so minutes of my life to check whether this anime is worthy or not. Dropped.

I think I'll try to lurk in discussions more and see if this site's section could ever be more useful than how it currently is.. My motto is: "Episode discussions are not worthy of my time. I don't need their opinions nor do I need to express mine for each episode."

Really. It's just a waste of time. This time, it seems to provide a little use to me so I don't think it's that worthless for now.
sinner08910Oct 5, 2015 4:18 AM
"I'm just your typical human being who commit sins just like you. But the difference is that I never lied and tell anyone that what I did was right. I regret and ask for forgiveness from Him."

Why is my signature not anime-related? It's because who gives a fuck? Anyway I'd like to advertise to you this:

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN IS FOLLOWING A SIMPLE FLOW OF THE STORYLINE. AND IT GETS REPETETIVE IF YOU VIEW IT ON ITS BIGGER PICTURE. WITH A LITTLE PLOT TWIST AND NEW IDEAS, YOU FORGOT THAT IT HAD ALREADY HAPPENED BEFORE.

Also, Tokyo Ghoul is AWESOME. Especially :re.
Oct 5, 2015 4:15 AM

Sep 2014
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Miragee said:

You know even a 5 year old can find a better excuse than that...........your subjective opinion and observation isn't always going to be correct. And the worst thing is even if your so called elitist observation turns out dead wrong and bitchslaps you in your face, some people still don't admit it because of their bias. Oh there are also some thing called "Surprising results" in a game too.

Then again why am i wasting my time again replying to someone who literally said:
Miragee said:

Some people have a lot of free time for shitposting and hating for dumb reasons. Pardon be for being rude but i don't have a good opinion your types

How come you think I'm an elitist or do anything of what you just described? I was merely pointing out that some people might find enjoyment in things you don't, exactly like you find enjoyment in thing they don't.

Aside from that, you are correct about that an observation is not always going to be correct, even if you have a lot of experience of what to look for in terms of writing. But there is a high chance to be correct at least. I also implore you to stop generalising. Only because a lot of people don't admit that they were wrong doesn't mean everyone does it.

To give you some advice, reading between the lines is a good skill to have. You should also be careful to throw around with terms like "bias" when you are obviously biased (here against elitists) yourself.
Oct 5, 2015 4:20 AM

Oct 2013
This one was similar to IS: Infinite Stratos 2....

Nevertheless, cute and hilarious... cracked me up... will continue watching!

though i got lost on the schools and stuff... what different teams, ranks...
Oct 5, 2015 4:47 AM

Jan 2015
Miragee said:
Xenocrisi said:

+1

Perhaps I should do the same question to you.
-The animation is great
-The fanservice, as someone stated, is moderate
-The battle was great
-The girl is not annoying
So, did you even watch the episode? I don't think you dropped the show before watching the first episode.

Oh wait...
Oct 5, 2015 4:53 AM
Aug 2012
Miragee said:

To give you some advice, reading between the lines is a good skill to have. You should also be careful to throw around with terms like "bias" when you are obviously biased (here against elitists) yourself.

Correction: I am biased against (wannabe) elitists and shitposters who do it for the lolz.

Oct 5, 2015 5:06 AM

Sep 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Miragee said:

Perhaps I should do the same question to you.
-The animation is great
-The fanservice, as someone stated, is moderate
-The battle was great
-The girl is not annoying
So, did you even watch the episode? I don't think you dropped the show before watching the first episode.

Oh wait...

- animation was good, agreed
- fanservice was moderate compared to what? Highschool DxD? I mean, the blond girl already showed him her beaver just for teasing purposes. The gravitational pull of his dick must be magnificent.
- the battle was meh, animation was good, as said, but the choreography was shit. It was basically her being like "Ok I do this, now I do this, now I do this, now I do this..." with no effect because MC is OP for no reason. Then it ended in him saving her from...whatever it was, ending the fight in a boob grab.
- girl was annoying (I guess this one is really subjective though)

Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Miragee said:

Correction: I am biased against (wannabe) elitists and shitposters who do it for the lolz.

ok
Oct 5, 2015 5:21 AM
Aug 2012
Miragee said:

- fanservice was moderate compared to what? Highschool DxD? I mean, the blond girl already showed him her beaver just for teasing purposes. The gravitational pull of his dick must be magnificent.

So 3 scenes make the entire show full of fanservice? It was like what 4-5 minutes at best and so nipples shown or anything else. That last one was a little teasing but i will give you that one. But yes it was quite moderate compared to several other shows. DxD is on the extreme level.

Miragee said:

- the battle was meh, animation was good, as said, but the choreography was shit. It was basically her being like "Ok I do this, now I do this, now I do this, now I do this..." with no effect because MC is OP for no reason. Then it ended in him saving her from...whatever it was, ending the fight in a boob grab.

Nope this is subjective as well. The battle was well detailed and the techniques were shown pretty well especially the fire bullets. Choreography wasn't super awesome but neither was it shit and this is only a small battle at the start.

Also the MC is OP for no reason? Please it's episode 1......do you want the entire history in 1 episode. This a pointless complain. Or are you one of those guy who gets annoyed because the MC is at least competent at the start?
Dragon_Slayer_XOct 5, 2015 5:26 AM

Oct 5, 2015 5:42 AM

Jul 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Miragee said:

Nope this is subjective as well. The battle was well detailed and the techniques were shown pretty well especially the fire bullets. Choreography wasn't super awesome but neither was it shit and this is only a small battle at the start.

Also the MC is OP for no reason? Please it's episode 1......do you want the entire history in 1 episode. This a pointless complain. Or are you one of those guy who gets annoyed because the MC is at least competent at the start?

It's funny how he's talking about OP MC with Saitama as his avatar lol. Maybe it's because Ayato didn't do 100 push-ups, sit-ups, squats and runs 10 km every day for 3 years and didn't lose his hair to become OP like Saitama. xD

Oct 5, 2015 5:50 AM

Sep 2014
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Miragee said:

So 3 scenes make the entire show full of fanservice? It was like what 4-5 minutes at best and so nipples shown or anything else. That last one was a little teasing but i will give you that one. But yes it was quite moderate compared to several other shows. DxD is on the extreme level.

Miragee said:

I wouldn't call 4-5 minutes of fanservice in an 20 minute episode moderate but ok, I agree that there are shows that with way more excessive fanservice.

The fight is not subjective. See, you can enjoy the fight because of how it looks (I did as well btw.) but that doesn't mean it's objectively good. There is nothing wrong with enjoying something bad as far as I'm aware.
As said, the fight was like a list of happenings. It wasn't a fluid interaction between the two opponents. If you look at a fight and can see a tally sheet as script you know it's not a good fight.

No, I'm not annoyed when a MC is competent from the beginning. It was rather the introduction. I mean think about it. They tried pretty hard to make him look like the underdog before the fight started but I guess everyone that uses their brain to think could predict that he would win. They deliberately decided to introduce his powers by an insignificant fight (the only other purpose of the fight was to win tsundere-chan for his harem), instead of showing his powers in a more significant event or in training. I mean they even had a nice set-up in the office of the blond girl talking about what he wants and where he came from. That could have been a perfect situation to introduce us to his powers/backround.

EasyGo-er said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

It's funny how he's talking about OP MC with Saitama as his avatar lol. Maybe it's because Ayato didn't do 100 push-ups, sit-ups, squats and runs 10 km every day for 3 years and didn't lose his hair to become OP like Saitama. xD

Your assumption is correct. It takes training like Saitama's to become strong and not some half-assed wimp waving about with a sword. tz
Oct 5, 2015 6:58 AM
Sep 2015
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 2 Preview

can someone translate it?
Oct 5, 2015 7:36 AM

Dec 2013
Already reading the LN so I guess I'm just watching to see how well they follow the story. Though I don't remember the scene of Ayato's sister at the very beginning from anywhere yet... must be some sort of spoiler :P

Cannot wait to watch Saya and Julis' antics next episode...
Liking the chara designs already at least. Kirin is <3
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 5, 2015 8:28 AM

Jan 2015
Whoaa said:
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 2 Preview

The preview doesn't show a lot about the next episode damn .-.

Whoaa said:
can someone translate it?

It says that Julis has been caught and now Ayato is alone (and doesn't know what to do) even if the show just started. Saya (the loli) says that has good idea (about saving the Julis, which has been caught) but she says "Oh! Time's up" and the preview finishes.

XenocrisiOct 5, 2015 8:32 AM
Oct 5, 2015 9:52 AM

Apr 2012
I am entertained. This anime however has the potential to be either an amazing show and a gigantic flop at the moment. It all depends on how much time is focus on plot vs. fanservice from here on out. The fanservice wasn't as ridiculous as most, so I'm hopeful.
Oct 5, 2015 10:24 AM
Aug 2012
Miragee said:

The fight is not subjective. See, you can enjoy the fight because of how it looks (I did as well btw.) but that doesn't mean it's objectively good. There is nothing wrong with enjoying something bad as far as I'm aware.
As said, the fight was like a list of happenings. It wasn't a fluid interaction between the two opponents. If you look at a fight and can see a tally sheet as script you know it's not a good fight.

Ummm so it's not subjective even when YOU are giving your subjective opinions about it.......please stop trying to play "Objective" card when it's subjective opinions most of the time. It's becoming quite typical when so many people mistake their subjective reasoning as some kind of objective fact.

Also first you talk about choreography and now you talk about the results.........pick one.

Miragee said:

No, I'm not annoyed when a MC is competent from the beginning. It was rather the introduction. I mean think about it. They tried pretty hard to make him look like the underdog before the fight started but I guess everyone that uses their brain to think could predict that he would win.

The result ended in a draw or should i say the match was cancelled (but i guess YOU Predicted the surprise attack being the cause). Well it's quite easy to say that on forums after watching the show.........predictions right?

Miragee said:

They deliberately decided to introduce his powers by an insignificant fight (the only other purpose of the fight was to win tsundere-chan for his harem), instead of showing his powers in a more significant event or in training.

Since you seem to have forgotten things, he fight introduced the DUEL system and it pretty important. Not to mention, the authority of SCP.

Sadly they cut out the segment about the aftermath of the duel so i can't blame you completely.

Miragee said:

I mean they even had a nice set-up in the office of the blond girl talking about what he wants and where he came from. That could have been a perfect situation to introduce us to his powers/backround.

Ummm we see a small flashback of him being in a dojo and in training clothes. The things you are talking about are going to be shown/talked about later. Just because they didn't give you the full story in 1 episode doesn't mean they won't..........patience is a virtue that many people lack now-a-days.

Miragee said:

Your assumption is correct. It takes training like Saitama's to become strong and not some half-assed wimp waving about with a sword. tz

I don't see any wimp though.........just an easygoing person who is skilled (not super OP....reasons later) whose background hasn't been fully revealed. And you wonder why i call people biased?
Dragon_Slayer_XOct 5, 2015 10:30 AM

Oct 5, 2015 12:02 PM

Mar 2011
question for those that have read the novels, is Ayato like Tatsuya in that he has had his powers forcefully restrained? i noticed in the opening theme he was "chained". i'm guessing that's the reason his sister went to the academy? since you can get any wish granted.
Oct 5, 2015 12:19 PM

Jun 2015
Generic cliches everywhere, looks pretty though. I'll keep watching to see if the quality stays strong, might be a guilty pleasure.
Oct 5, 2015 12:20 PM
Aug 2012
Niyari said:
question for those that have read the novels, is Ayato like Tatsuya in that he has had his powers forcefully restrained? i noticed in the opening theme he was "chained". i'm guessing that's the reason his sister went to the academy? since you can get any wish granted.

You will get the first answer in another 2-3 episodes.

As for the second, it will not yet revealed.

Oct 5, 2015 12:30 PM

Aug 2010
Generic show of the season #3.
Oct 5, 2015 12:48 PM

Sep 2014
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Ummm so it's not subjective even when YOU are giving your subjective opinions about it.......please stop trying to play "Objective" card when it's subjective opinions most of the time. It's becoming quite typical when so many people mistake their subjective reasoning as some kind of objective fact.

Also first you talk about choreography and now you talk about the results.........pick one.

First of, how is calling a fight choreography going after a tally shiet being subjective when it's obviously true? Watch the fight again. She goes like this: "Here I come with skill a" -->doesn't work-->"no skill b"-->doesn't work-->"I'm not done yet, skill c". How is that objective? That is just telling what happened...

Secondly, where am I talking about results in the paragraph you quoted? Nowhere, I wasn't. I was talking about the result further down _in a completely different matter_. Don't mix things up.

Dragon_Slayer_X said:
The result ended in a draw or should i say the match was cancelled (but i guess YOU Predicted the surprise attack being the cause). Well it's quite easy to say that on forums after watching the show.........predictions right?

Yeah, I mean it was pretty obvious that he was going to win if they wouldn't pull something. Some random surprise attack was ok for that matter. It would have been bad if they took the asspull route and somehow she had another super skill after her super skill.

Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Since you seem to have forgotten things, he fight introduced the DUEL system and it pretty important. Not to mention, the authority of SCP.

Sadly they cut out the segment about the aftermath of the duel so i can't blame you completely.

Alright, true.

Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Ummm we see a small flashback of him being in a dojo and in training clothes. The things you are talking about are going to be shown/talked about later. Just because they didn't give you the full story in 1 episode doesn't mean they won't..........patience is a virtue that many people lack now-a-days.

It's not really about patience it's about what to include into the first episode and what not. Surely 4 minutes of fanservice are more important than a proper introduction of the MC. The first episode of a show is a very important tool to get the viewer hooked into your story. You can't waste time or being lazy with the direction of this episode. After the first episode you have plenty of time to throw in fanservice or less significant events almost all you want if the viewer is already hooked into your story and is going to continue watching either way.

Dragon_Slayer_X said:
I don't see any wimp though.........just an easygoing person who is skilled (not super OP....reasons later) whose background hasn't been fully revealed. And you wonder why i call people biased?

That comment was directed to another person and not to be taken seriously, like his post as well. OPM is an entire different matter because it's a parody. It's not meant to be taken seriously, it doesn't take itself seriously and it plays with tropes of other shows. For that matter it was only natural to pull a rather sarcastic comment myself.
Oct 5, 2015 1:03 PM
Apr 2015
not bad not bad at all
Oct 5, 2015 1:03 PM

Feb 2012
Aww yeah! This genre is my shit!
Oct 5, 2015 1:09 PM

Mar 2014
Oh god so generic.. and the School Battle with Magic stuff is getting REALLY old. The fights have my interest for now, but if the next ep isn't a lot better -> drop
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

202 by Dennywibu »»
Apr 26, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

180 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

220 by Azuki_Sayashi »»
Feb 17, 2023 7:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.