Forum Settings
Forums

Oda Eiichiro Discloses One Piece will be His Last Full Length Manga

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 16, 2009 6:30 AM

Apr 2009
^ plus almost all the 'big/strong' pirate crews are taken from REAL life pirates...
Dec 16, 2009 6:34 AM

Jan 2009
Beatnik said:
wtf do the pirates even do in One Piece? How is Luffy a pirate? He doesnt loot, pillage, rape and steal, he's like the worst pirate ever.
Those were my exact thoughts on the series about a year ago, I always thought One Piece would be so much more grander; had it been serialized as a Seinen title. However Oda's been really adamant in keeping One Piece a series geared towards the younger Shounen demographic and for that I can at least appreciate its charm and what the series is out to convey overall.

Beatnik said:
Back when the manga began we see him and this young kid become friends. Then when they separate, one is planning on being a pirate king, the other a naval police dude
Instant Sanctuary nostalgia, to change the pirate world one becomes an ambitious and overzealous pirate; the other, a firm and diligent Naval captain. That would be an almost perfect parallel to the Sanctuary series in terms of story, however that literary archetype may be a little to ambitious for One Piece; there'd have to be a intellectual focus on the political hierarchy of OP's respected verse.
ralphy0103Dec 16, 2009 6:40 AM
Dec 16, 2009 7:08 AM

Jan 2008
ralphy0103 said:
Instant Sanctuary nostalgia, to change the pirate world one becomes an ambitious and overzealous pirate; the other, a firm and diligent Naval captain. That would be an almost perfect parallel to the Sanctuary series in terms of story, however that literary archetype may be a little to ambitious for One Piece; there'd have to be a intellectual focus on the political hierarchy of OP's respected verse.

Haha, that would have been AWESOME.

Ok, sorry One Piece fans, didnt mean to attack you all (well I wasnt, I was attacking Oda) but anyway, the point I'm making is that Oda is aiming at a demographic so certain things that YOU guys want arent going to happen (bloody dark gritty deaths for example)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 16, 2009 7:30 AM

Apr 2009
Beatnik said:
arent going to happen (bloody dark gritty deaths for example)

you realized this Now ?

we knew that from the start, plus its a shonen lol...
for that go read berserk xD
Dec 16, 2009 8:53 AM

Jun 2007
smokes said:
we knew that from the start, plus its a shonen lol...
for that go read berserk xD

Devilman is a shonen. So is Ashita no Joe. In SJ shonen, though, yes; death is limited strictly to redshirts and people from the past.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 16, 2009 1:47 PM

Aug 2007
Hahaha. A spin on OP similar to that of sanctuary. That would be awesome. But eh, it could be put into the story but as long as it is I don't see it fitting. I'm mad you mentioned it. A seinen version would be whoa.
Dec 16, 2009 1:52 PM

Jan 2008
I cant think of a seinen pirate manga. :\
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 16, 2009 2:11 PM

Jun 2007
Beatnik said:
I cant think of a seinen pirate manga. :

Vikings don't count as pirates?
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 16, 2009 2:20 PM

Jan 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
Beatnik said:

Hmm, I guess so... But...how about pirates...of...the...Caribbean?
Dec 16, 2009 2:32 PM

Apr 2009
Ishmael said:
But eh, it could be put into the story but as long as it is I don't see it fitting.

yeah, But there will be coby versus luffy at the end))

coby = luffy
Garp = Roger

tho i also thing Smoker will be also a enemy/friend.
Dec 17, 2009 9:29 AM

Jul 2009
OMG!!
and here i was, thinking this series has reached its end...
too naive!!!

Dec 17, 2009 9:54 AM
Jul 2009
Soulstrider said:

smokes said:
no romance = thank God...
i dont wanna see smth like naruto here..
it ruins the show)

Romance done well can greatly improve a story

I Totally agree with you. Some romance would not be a bad idea, as long as its done right.
Dec 18, 2009 5:33 AM
Jun 2009
Beatnik said:
Torisunanohokori said:
Beatnik said:

stfu and go away
Dec 18, 2009 6:23 AM

Jan 2008
roflshanks said:
Beatnik said:
Torisunanohokori said:
Beatnik said:

stfu and go away

Favourite manga: One Piece.

OH IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

Back on topic, a romance would crash this manga to a halt. The reason so many people love One Piece is because of its pace, they never feel bored, you rarely ever get chapter threads with people whining 'nothing happened'. A romance in One Piece would be like smacking these fans in the face with a sledgehammer.
Dec 18, 2009 8:00 AM

Jul 2007
Beatnik said:

Back on topic, a romance would crash this manga to a halt. The reason so many people love One Piece is because of its pace, they never feel bored, you rarely ever get chapter threads with people whining 'nothing happened'. A romance in One Piece would be like smacking these fans in the face with a sledgehammer.

So, to be exact,its perfect manga for people with short attention spans.
Dec 18, 2009 8:27 AM

Apr 2009
romance will ruin the manga)
in fact there is no place for romance there..

imagine romance in the crew -_-

emotions are complicated and stuff, they are a family there.. they have a dream and are adventuring..

romance will be only at the end, tho not real romance, but smth like Usopp will remain with Kaia or Luffy will live with Boa, like Rogers first mate with that chick in arhipelago
there is no place for that here)
smokesDec 18, 2009 8:30 AM
Dec 18, 2009 8:44 AM

Jan 2008
Fai said:
So, to be exact,its perfect manga for people with short attention spans.

Bingo. Again, not trying to troll but this manga is aimed at a demographic. It's amazing really, that Oda keeps the pace going for so long. It does lull here and there, but these breaks are very brief.

One thing that I've noticed during the last fifty chapters or so is that One Piece just doesnt make me laugh anymore. I swear it used to be funnier before, but now there's barely any jokes. :|
Dec 18, 2009 8:56 AM

Apr 2009
^ cause there is no place for jokes now o_O this arc is a decisive one)

( ps buggy is still making me personally laugh, just seeing his face there makes me smile)
Dec 18, 2009 9:06 AM

Jan 2008
smokes said:
^ cause there is no place for jokes now o_O this arc is a decisive one)

( ps buggy is still making me personally laugh, just seeing his face there makes me smile)

Oh yeah, that's true. Buggy is a hilarious character, forgot about him. But I liked the real tacky cheesy humour and visual jokes that were more prevalent earlier in the manga. One of the funniest things I've ever seen in any manga was the scene where the Luffy crew are just chilling out on their ship and we get a close up of a dolphin flying in the air, and we pan back and see it's actually a FUCKING GIGANTIC DOLPHIN that crashes back into the water sending a huge wave over the panicking crew. It was fucking hilarious man. Ahh, good times.
Dec 18, 2009 9:11 AM

Apr 2009
yeah, cant wait for the reunion...
this was also hilarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EwtLJoGlTs

BUT, i wonder if there really will be a time skip ( prolly 2-3 years) i wonder if the humor will still be there :( they will grow up and be serious and stuff
Dec 18, 2009 10:03 AM

Jan 2008
BTW, this is the funniest thing in the entire manga of One Piece, and I don't think it will ever be topped:

Chapter 494:

Dec 21, 2009 5:26 PM

Jul 2007
Can i ask where did you all get these sources from. I see it talked bout but i don't see any information or sources from ODA. Is this just all speculation or what you might think might be happening.

Dec 21, 2009 5:55 PM

Jan 2009
dtshyk said:

No romance

YES. glad there will be no romance
Dec 31, 2009 10:32 AM

Apr 2009
Oda confirmed in an Asahi Shimbun article in November that he had planned to end the series in five years and has had the image of the final chapter established in his mind for a long time. However, creating the episodes that lead to that ending has taken longer than he had anticipated. In the manga's 13th year, he would like to say that he is 9/10ths of the way towards the end, but he acknowledged that he is only halfway there

source - ann
Dec 31, 2009 10:43 AM

Feb 2008
But One Piece is all about Romance... Romance Dawn...
Nice
check this rad twitter out: http://twitter.com/fuckyeah_anime
Jan 1, 2010 9:32 PM

Jul 2007
Can you link me to this actual information so i can read it my self.

Jan 2, 2010 3:53 AM

Jun 2008
Beatnik said:
Let's hope he has many notes written down, because there's always the risk of unexpected death causing an abrupt halt to a long-running story. You could even say its irresponsible to just keep something going endlessly because you could end up disappointing many fans. Look at what happened with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga. Dude just didn't know when to stop.

Spot on with the Robert Jordan comparison. Now some other guy is having to finish the series for him based on manuscripts. That's no fun. :/
I'm back.
Jan 2, 2010 7:51 AM

Apr 2009
^lmao.
he has 30 years old..
look at Berserk mangaka... he's drawing it for 20 years, has around 45 years old, and the manga hasnt finished yet... it has a loooong way to the end -_-
Jan 27, 2010 9:33 PM

Jan 2010
Seriously some people here are talking like he's going to die with old age before he'll ever finish. The dude is only in his mid-thirties. If the series ends in 12 years then he would only be 47. Once OP ends (scariest thought ever) it's not like he's not going to draw anymore manga. He just wont do those long ones anymore.
Anyway can't wait to read more One Piece XD
Feb 9, 2010 3:22 PM

Aug 2009
No murder + death scene

U freakin liar Oda... ;________;
Feb 10, 2010 9:45 AM

Apr 2009
Goo4 said:
No murder + death scene

U freakin liar Oda... ;________;

+11 you fucking son of a bitch D:

no murder death scenes my ass

http://i47.tinypic.com/ngvo7a.jpg
smokesFeb 10, 2010 10:08 AM
Feb 10, 2010 10:47 AM

Dec 2007
Well, I know it's kinda naive, but I belive than in some magical way he will come back to life (and then there will be no murder death scenes )~
Feb 10, 2010 11:13 AM

Oct 2007
hahaha I feel like he made that statement to fool us all for thinking he'd be saved
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Megami no Café Terrace Season 2' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

12 by RobertBobert »»
3 minutes ago

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

10 by RobertBobert »»
5 minutes ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

41 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Ore wa Subete wo "Parry" suru' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Theme Songs

Nioxys - Yesterday

0 by Nioxys »»
Yesterday, 8:39 AM

» Manga 'Kinoko Inu' Receives TV Anime in Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - May 13

2 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 8:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.