Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 10, 2015 10:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah this series...

It still retains some of its iconic moments and symbolism.

I think this was actually an alright episode although nothing too impressive. Akechi reflects on his desire to take on Twenty Faces. Meanwhile, I think there's also the representation of death that is shown several times this episode in the form of cruel skeletons. Good amount of focus on Akechi and Namekoshi's relationship in the past as well.

Stark700Sep 10, 2015 12:07 PM
Sep 10, 2015 11:39 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Probably the worst episode of this series.

Incredibly over-the-top backstory of Namekoshi that made it impossible for me to take it seriously. And they did this for the whole episode.

Kobayashi just takes it which is even stupid for him.
Sep 10, 2015 11:46 AM

Jul 2014
This episode could have been so much better if Namikoshi's backstory wasn't such a textbook example of the generic villain backstory; it just seems like really lazy writing. As does the fact that Kobayashi doesn't question anything and just accepts everything so easily; even for him, that is pretty stupid.

Nice visuals though.
Sep 10, 2015 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode.

Namekoshi's backstory was not half bad. His parents, teacher and the delinquents are so terrible. They got what they deserved for threaten him like that!
Sep 10, 2015 11:56 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Namekoshi's parents and just life in general was really shitty.....I laughed when those bullies got killed by that van lol

That formula is very powerful to be able to manipulate events to that extent, the kid is almost like God even tbh. I also enjoyed watching Akechi beat the ship out of everyone too xD
Sep 10, 2015 12:17 PM

Feb 2015

While I agree that villains being victims of bullying & domestic abuse is a bit of a cliche, I still think it was executed fairly well. It is easy to understand Namikoshi's motivations now given his history. Akechi was pretty cool even as a kid and what's up with that teacher just ignoring the bullies?

I think this is the 1st time I've seen Kobayashi show serious emotions. He always acts a bit cold and detached.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2015 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
most generic anti villain backstory ever but the art was so nice i didnt care

also why does he need to kill kobayoshi ?
Sep 10, 2015 12:23 PM

Jun 2014
Smudy said:
Incredibly over-the-top backstory of Namekoshi that made it impossible for me to take it seriously. And they did this for the whole episode.

danieltortoisee said:
This episode could have been so much better if Namikoshi's backstory wasn't such a textbook example of the generic villain backstory; it just seems like really lazy writing. As does the fact that Kobayashi doesn't question anything and just accepts everything so easily; even for him, that is pretty stupid.

Nice visuals though.

Both of these comments pretty much summarize what I wanted to say.

Namikoshi's backstory was a little intriguing at some parts, I will admit. One episode left, I wonder if Kobayashi will actually die.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 10, 2015 12:54 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The final needs someone of the main characters Akechi or Kobayashi dead to kind of save it.
Sep 10, 2015 1:17 PM

Feb 2014
Kobayashi really doesn't give a fuck even when he's going to die he just fucking accepts it. wtf.
Sep 10, 2015 1:18 PM

Feb 2013
Namikoshi has ascended to Aizen levels for a Gary Stu villain. It is kinda funny how he was only was number 2 in his class despite being able to create a formula that could used to manipulate fate.
Smudy said:
Probably the worst episode of this series.

All of the backstories have been this kind of ridiculous and edgy nonsense.
Sep 10, 2015 1:26 PM

Jun 2013
So we get to know more about Namikoshi. The reason he wanted to make that formula was because he was living a terrible life. He was bullied at school, his parents were buttholes, and there was no one out there wanting to lend him a helping hand. Akechi gave him that hand and he thought that they could do it. Akechi knew exactly what they were doing. He knew what this will end with. He wanted to stop Namikoshi because one of them would end up dying and he didn't want that. That's why Namikoshi disagrees with Kobayashi thinking that Akechi is a hero (or he probably assumed that's what Kobayashi considers Akechi). Namikoshi found a way to bring the wrong doers to justice. He updated the formula constantly. All those Twenty Faces cases Akechi solved were all part of his plan. He's one hell of an evil villain. Such an elaborate plan lol.

Just like Kobayashi sees people as silhouettes, Namikoshi sees them as skull faces. That's where he got the idea of making Twenty Faces' symbol a skull to show its anonymity.

But why Kobayashi? Because he's related to Akechi? Could be that Namikoshi wants Akechi to see that no one can save Kobayashi since the whole system is flawed. Probably a way to bring Akechi over to the dark side. And the trap will save the day somehow.
Sep 10, 2015 1:28 PM
Aug 2015
I thoroughly enjoy this series' use of symbolism, it makes it so much better. It was an obvious cliche, but to me it didnt feel like one

And people are saying that Kobayashi is stupid for accepting, we've finally seen a new side to him through his tears, and we havent gotten a proper response, which we'll probably get next episode.

The finale will decide greatly on my opinion of the series
I hate it when my sig disappears
Sep 10, 2015 1:32 PM

Dec 2014
Liked all of the symbolism within this episode.

llcruz said:
Kobayashi really doesn't give a fuck even when he's going to die he just fucking accepts it. wtf.
Sep 10, 2015 2:07 PM

Nov 2014
SchwingBoner said:

While I agree that villains being victims of bullying & domestic abuse is a bit of a cliche, I still think it was executed fairly well. It is easy to understand Namikoshi's motivations now given his history. Akechi was pretty cool even as a kid and what's up with that teacher just ignoring the bullies?

I think this is the 1st time I've seen Kobayashi show serious emotions. He always acts a bit cold and detached.

It is normal, Teachers bully other teachers as well. It is not only in Japan, but everywhere in the world. Humans always hate others, or are hated by others if not both. But the bullying matter is very over the top in Japan. In Shigofumi they explained it in a way that was very easy to grasp for the fans. I think that the criminals got what they deserved on this episode.
Sep 10, 2015 2:40 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
...lolwat?
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 10, 2015 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
VanishingKira said:
One episode till this is over,nice.

omg i thought there were 12 eps
cries.....;((((((((((
Sep 10, 2015 3:11 PM
Mar 2011
There is a chance that several weird things about characters will not be exaplained, like Akechi's drugs and headache, Hanabishi's scars, Nakamura's "problem", the backstory of the woman in prison with Akechi. Perhaps several of these were already explained and I missed something... but there is only one last episode.
Sep 10, 2015 3:21 PM

Jul 2009
So we get Namikoshi's backstory from his POV ... and yeah, just realized his seiyuu is Fukuyama Jun XD Seems like he was terribly bullied by classmates and his parents too ... until Akechi saves the day :O So much subtext between those two lol. Obviously everything he does is for Akechi ... even killing the students and his parents and his teachers O_O Holy crap lol ... then the part at the end where they have to sacrifice themselves and Kobayashi just accepts it and is willing to do so?! What the heck lol. I am hoping the finale will be a good one ... at least, hopefully resolve things between Akechi and Namikoshi at least :P
Sep 10, 2015 3:33 PM
Sep 2015
but seriously, kobayashi will just join him like that?? i thought he was the good guy
Sep 10, 2015 4:00 PM

Mar 2015
Cliche, but it was still pretty interesting. What is Kobayashi planning?
Sep 10, 2015 4:05 PM

Mar 2013
Now, Hashiba go save Kobayashi!
Sep 10, 2015 4:32 PM
Oct 2012
Ya know, not all Villains are abused children. Sort of insults the effort made by all the people who really are abused and manage to overcome it.

It would have been far more interesting had Namekoshi been an idealist trying to redeem Akechi's cynicism. Look, we can create the perfect world, what is a few eggs to achieve that wonderful goal?
That sort of villain would have given dimension to both characters because it would have brought in the question of justice in an unjust world, as well as the importance of free will and that hell is what we create, not something that exists externally, but nope that would have required a story and some thought, instead we get thoughtlessness: My daddy hit me so I get to kill people innocent people.

Blah.

I was fine with Kobayashi, he never actually agreed to be killed, though he may welcome it if it means saving his love for Akechi. Still, whatever the resolution it will be too little too late. Not the worst animation of the season by any stretch, but the worse of those that actually had potential.
Sep 10, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Ya know, not all Villains are abused children. Sort of insults the effort made by all the people who really are abused and manage to overcome it.

It would have been far more interesting had Namekoshi been an idealist trying to redeem Akechi's cynicism. Look, we can create the perfect world, what is a few eggs to achieve that wonderful goal?
That sort of villain would have given dimension to both characters because it would have brought in the question of justice in an unjust world, as well as the importance of free will and that hell is what we create, not something that exists externally, but nope that would have required a story and some thought, instead we get thoughtlessness: My daddy hit me so I get to kill people innocent people.

Blah.

Not only that but they wasted a most of the episode just to drill in how shit his life was when that point could've been driven much more efficiently. Laziness and incoherent bullshit wins the day though.
Sep 10, 2015 5:00 PM

May 2015
Episode was fine, but think they should've done this earlier, even if it's just a bit. Still enjoyed this episode somehow though. Next week will be the last episode.

Sep 10, 2015 5:01 PM

Jul 2007
Another great episode.

Namikoshi's backstory was simple but understandable and fitting for someone who would create a memetic system like 20 faces.
Akechi was someone who valued reality more than ideal, while Namikoshi believed that forsaking his own reality was worth the ideal he wanted to achieve.
So I guess the final step in his plan is this mass suicide? It does pose an interesting question on what is the endgame if 20 faces so far has been just a method of reaching it.

10/10 so far. Can't wait for finale.
Sep 10, 2015 6:13 PM

Apr 2015
Episode was kind of meh with Namikoshi's tragic backstory taking up most of it, but at least Kobayashi's somewhat fully in on his plan. Interested in seeing how this will end.
Sep 10, 2015 6:17 PM

Sep 2010
yukishiromei said:
Now, Hashiba go save Kobayashi!

Onward! time to save the waifu~

Kobayshi was like "You want me to be a sacrifice? Kay bruh I'm in!"
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 10, 2015 9:01 PM

Jan 2008
When the teacher neglected the bullying, and even turned a blind eye to the blatant mutilation on Namikoshi via blade in the middle of his fucking class, he was in turn, just as guilty as the the rest of them. The teacher, the parents, and bullies...these people do not deserve to breath the same air as everyone else. I'm glad Akechi beat the shit out of him, and the Dark Star formula took care of the rest.

Now it becomes clear what the butterflies throughout the show, with the new revelations confirming the already obvious symbolism; the butterfly effect (in the pre-update of the Dark Star formula), and metamorphosis (to give birth to the creation of 20 Faces, a humanoid entity born from data).

Namikoshi...what are you, stupid? Akechi isn't rejecting you, he's trying to save you, his friend! And now apparently Namikoshi is dragging Kobayashi and a bunch of other people who have a death wish to their doom.
Sep 10, 2015 10:37 PM

Feb 2014
Good story, got me interested, but seriously Kobayashi and Hashiba can just **** off, they don't need to be in this anime. Akechi is enough.
Sep 11, 2015 12:20 AM

Jan 2013
This episode reminded me of this quote:

"Since they're unhappy, they probably need someone who's more unhappy than they are."

As a victim of bullying, I tend to take these issues a bit seriously. Bullying and child abuse over stupid reasons are no laughing matter to me. Some may call what happened in the backstory a ridicules, over the top sap story, but trust me, there are worse examples that occurred in real life.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Sep 11, 2015 2:32 AM

Dec 2013
CookingPriest said:
Another great episode.

Namikoshi's backstory was simple but understandable and fitting for someone who would create a memetic system like 20 faces.
Akechi was someone who valued reality more than ideal, while Namikoshi believed that forsaking his own reality was worth the ideal he wanted to achieve.
So I guess the final step in his plan is this mass suicide? It does pose an interesting question on what is the endgame if 20 faces so far has been just a method of reaching it.

10/10 so far. Can't wait for finale.

I would expect that martyrdom in this day and age would result in the mass production of copy-cats who come to know of 20 Faces' MO, and hence would utilize his name to further punish any injustices in the world from hereon out? That would be a stern warning to those who are dealing out injustices that they will never get off scoot free as well, and in the end the world would become a better place for it?

Though.... if that were really the end game, I don't understand why Kobayashi is needs to participate in the mass suicide that's about to occur. Nor do I understand why Namikoshi needs to kill himself publicly once again.

The whole situation seems confusing.

Still, I loved the visuals and the imagery that they used for this episode.
The deaths caused by the Dark Star Formula were simply shown. What I would really like to know is just exactly how the formula actually led to those deaths (especially with the bullies and the dead dad in the lift). I think just exploring that would make for a great show.
So Namikoshi visualizes objects as words, and people as indiscernible skeletons, Akechi sees people as wooden puppets, and Kobayashi sees people as shadowy figures. Interesting..... I wonder how Kuro Tokage visualizes everyone besides Akechi as.....
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 11, 2015 5:17 AM

Aug 2015
It was an okish episode....
Sep 11, 2015 5:31 AM
Jan 2015
So it does take monsters to create one.
Sep 11, 2015 6:18 AM

Aug 2015
It was a good episode, but it reminded me of much potential got wasted. Surely it's a good show, but it could've been something much better if the central episodes would've been on the level of the last ones or the first ones. Namikoshi's story is basic but it's realistic, Kobayashi always so calm it's a character trait (he or her crying is a little good devolpement) but if he really accepts to die just like that it will be the most retarded thing i've seen in anime history. The finale is next week and only that episode will decide what this series should get, if the finale is good (for example, someone dies in a appropiate way) a second season would be just fine but if the finale is complete bullshit (something like kobayashi and his gay or not gay friend living happily and akechi and the bullied friend living happily together) a second season would be an insult to everybody.
Sep 11, 2015 6:54 AM

Sep 2014
Meh episode. I'm just glad next week'l be the last I see of this terrible Anime.
Sep 11, 2015 1:37 PM

Apr 2015
Mh, true, Namikoshi's story about bullying, revenge etc. was cliché, but I'm sensitive so I felt really sorry for him and hate for the bullies...
Akechi best chara
But...I still don't have understood Namikoshi's formula, how is him calculating it and how is him making all of it happen...
Sep 11, 2015 2:07 PM

May 2014
I'm honestly a sucker for bullies+abuse+shitty life backstory cliches in anime. It's probably because I can relate to it and it's still a real ongoing issue that really represents society. The symbolism was beautiful in this episode. I actually really like this series unlike a majority of people xDD
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Sep 11, 2015 2:31 PM
Oct 2012
Edina-chan said:
So it does take monsters to create one.

No, it really doesn't. Most monsters have perfectly normal, indeed even privileged, backgrounds. The human desire to ascribe reason to the creation of monsters is akin to blaming the victim when they hear of a crime: it allows them to rationalize why the same thing couldn't happen to them. It is a security blanket, something that immature personalities need to clutch in order to pretend evil doesn't exist.
Sep 11, 2015 7:16 PM

Mar 2014
I just noticed that the ED is one big domino effect. o_O
I can't believe it took me 10 episodes to notice that.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 11, 2015 7:53 PM

Jun 2013
i just kidnapped you to tell you about my past don't worry oh and of course my parents were terrible
Sep 11, 2015 9:45 PM

Oct 2011
Namikoshi had a terrible life. Ehhhh Kobayahis is the last piece OMG.

Hashiba has to save him
Sep 12, 2015 12:35 AM

Apr 2012
Man this episode was annoying, so much wasted potential. It seems to me the guys who did the show had a very good idea but didn't know what to do with it.

The dark star thing is so stupid and unrealistic, I mean even if one could make such a formula it would probably take that laptop a couple of times the lifespan of the universe to actually compute. If they made it so that it could just tell the most possible outcome and only under certain circumstances it would have been a lot better.

Unfortunately this show is trying to take itself too seriously for what it is, also good work Kobayashi for going from most interesting character to completely bland.
Sep 12, 2015 9:51 AM

Jun 2015
Harrymanhunter said:
Meh episode. I'm just glad next week'l be the last I see of this terrible Anime.
no ones forcing you to watch it :/

tbh I really liked this episode (kinda reminded me of psycho pass) made me wonder who the 'real' villain is becoz imo I think what namikoshi did was right (kind of)
Sep 13, 2015 6:01 AM

Jul 2009
All about Namikoshi...
Sep 13, 2015 4:00 PM

Aug 2009
gedata said:
It is kinda funny how he was only was number 2 in his class despite being able to create a formula that could used to manipulate fate.

Schools work on scores. It doesn't matter how intelligent you're, if you have low scores, you can't be the top of the class.
Considering how much he was abused in chool, I wouldn't be surprised if he stopped caring about school and stopped doing assignments or schoolwork. That should lower his overall score.
Sep 13, 2015 6:00 PM

Jul 2010
That moment when the only thing left to really enjoy for you in anime is ED.
Very average episode (altho i do feel bad for Namikoshi, his situation sucked and i was smiling af when he used the formula) for very average series.I just hope that the last episode is going to be at least average too, so it doesn't leave bad after-taste, but average one.We'll see.
Sep 14, 2015 5:28 AM

Mar 2014
I hate this anime,
not the hate that you would give an anime for being bad or boring.
Its the type of hate you give the guy who murdered your whole family and gets away with it.
Why couldnt this series be a bit more episodic instead of focusing on this 20 faces formula bullshit.