Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
School-Live!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 11, 2015 12:02 AM
Nov 2012
BrianMX34 said:
It was a good episode but I just felt it was too little too late. They focused so much on the cute moe slice of life that the tension of the reality of the anime was lost. I lost a lot of hope for the anime after the atrocity that was episode 9. Now it's bringing the darkness of the anime back in but I'm just not as invested anymore. The balance of moe SOL and horror was just way off and the anime suffered overall for it :(

The moe though amplifies the discrepancy between the slice of life and the horror, which further amplifies the latter. Basically, the moe SOL is the bright, comforting light... that turns out to be attached to an approaching train at full throttle, and you're tied down to the tracks.

Besides, being able to give justification for said SOL is what makes Gakkou Gurashi more than just the average zombie flick.
Sep 11, 2015 12:24 AM

Oct 2011
TAROMARU NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

KURUMI NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Miki please save Kurumi T________________T

How are they gonna get out of this OMFG
Sep 11, 2015 12:28 AM

Dec 2013
That was just sad seeing how Kurumi froze up in front of Megu-nee, even when she knew before charging at her just who she was dealing with. Those with strong attachments to the dead zombies should never be the ones made to end said zombie, lest they freeze up at the last moment from doubt like Kurumi did.
Given everyone else's history, I would put Miki in charge of killing off Megu-nee, and probably Kurumi or Yuri to deal with Taromaru.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 11, 2015 12:51 AM

Oct 2011
RIP best character.

I dont know if someone already did this but, here is opening changes in this episode:

Also:

BryanLoeherSep 11, 2015 12:57 AM
Sep 11, 2015 1:04 AM

Oct 2014
T- This is too much for me to handle.. :c

RayAdha said:
Still waiting for Yuki to go crazy after realizing what's actually happening

I second this..

read from right to left
Sep 11, 2015 1:06 AM

Sep 2014
Zapredon said:
isvak said:

Yes, I even read the manga but I didn't think that she was even capable of writing!

I thought that scene is a flashback before she completely become zombie and not after she bit Kurumi.

It's the flashback scene, i just forgotten to write it. If it was on that episode, she wouldn't bit Kurumi yet
Sep 11, 2015 1:16 AM

Jan 2015
malikkkk27_ said:
Zapredon said:

I thought that scene is a flashback before she completely become zombie and not after she bit Kurumi.

It's the flashback scene, i just forgotten to write it. If it was on that episode, she wouldn't bit Kurumi yet

It's not a flashback. It's Kurumi's nightmare while she is turning into a zombie.
Sep 11, 2015 1:45 AM

Sep 2014
Xenocrisi said:
malikkkk27_ said:

It's not a flashback. It's Kurumi's nightmare while she is turning into a zombie.

Okayy, i might have to rewatch that scene again.
Sep 11, 2015 2:17 AM

Apr 2014
Its all that stupid dog's fault.
Sep 11, 2015 2:19 AM

Jun 2015
That was really dark. So painful (feels).

Taromaru, Megu-nee, Kurumi :(
I really hope she's okay.
And it seems as though the barricade is falling apart, looks like things are gonna get even worse for them next ep.

Sep 11, 2015 3:54 AM

Jan 2011
This episode has got to be the most painful, dark and emotional one yet! Kurumi was searching for Taroumaru and when she finally found him, she was already too late. Taroumaru had already been zombiefied and seems like she had bitten her on the arm. Kurumi has been infected and it may be too late to save her. D: Kurumi eventually faced the zombiefied Megu-nee as well which made the situation even worse. Seems like Rii-san was planning to kill Kurumi with the knife but stopped when Miki came in. Miki seemed determined to go and find the medical supplies but broke down after coming to realisation that Taroumaru is dead/has become a zombie. As if we weren't done with craziness, Yuki seems to have finally come back to reality. Fantastic episode this week, I still have chills...
5/5
Sep 11, 2015 4:31 AM

Jan 2015
[spoiler]
Sep 11, 2015 4:41 AM

Sep 2011
Gomen... Taro... muaru...!

No! Not the dog!
Kon'nichiwa!
Ogenkidesuka?

For those who play 3DS, please add my Friend Code
0662-3506-8849
Sep 11, 2015 5:13 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Great episode. With this episode the last one was not that bad at all. The impact of this episode was more intense with the SoL moments before. That also counts for Taomaru. The lovely moments between him and Miki before and now we saw a zombie version of the little cute dog.

Unfortunately Kurumi got bitten by the zombie version of Megu-nee. She was not able to finish her off and attacked by her. I am sure they will find a antidote for Kurumi and save her.

The barricade was broken down by the incoming zombies. The girls have to move into the underground of the school building for a save place.
Sep 11, 2015 5:18 AM

Jan 2015
wow. seriously. at some point I began to think this couldn't get dumber. firstly, it was obvious that Taroumaru had turned into a zombie so there's no surprise. but the fact that Kurumi decided to kill/ hurt the zombie Megu-nee because of a frickin dog just pisses me off since, well, what was the point of hurting the beloved Megu for a dog that couldn't be saved whatsoever? imo the rage seemed forced. and OBVIOUSLY Kurumi would let her feelings go so eventually she got bitten easily (maybe that's what makes us people but it's simply trivial in this case). I've always liked Kurumi but that was the dumbest move ever when she saw Megu and went further.
what annoys me even more is that Miki, watching her friend die, began to cry because of.. guess who.. Taroumaru, a goddamn dog. there's so much drama and interesting stuff in the episode but the dog still got too much attention.

I don't know. this episode literally pissed me off
Sep 11, 2015 5:48 AM

Aug 2015
pennsatucky said:
wow. seriously. at some point I began to think this couldn't get dumber. firstly, it was obvious that Taroumaru had turned into a zombie so there's no surprise. but the fact that Kurumi decided to kill/ hurt the zombie Megu-nee because of a frickin dog just pisses me off since, well, what was the point of hurting the beloved Megu for a dog that couldn't be saved whatsoever? imo the rage seemed forced. and OBVIOUSLY Kurumi would let her feelings go so eventually she got bitten easily (maybe that's what makes us people but it's simply trivial in this case). I've always liked Kurumi but that was the dumbest move ever when she saw Megu and went further.
Huh WHAT THE ACTUAL FCK ARE TALKING ABOUT did you really think that was the reason why she did that to Megu-zombie, AFAIK that was the basement where the supplies for survival are located, it even explained in one scene that it is the basement which was explained on the manual they're holding, and the only way to get into it is of course kill Megu-zombie.
MizunashiSep 11, 2015 5:52 AM
Sep 11, 2015 5:48 AM
Apr 2015
Finally an intense episode from start to finish! I was getting tired of SOL style of story progression.
Sep 11, 2015 6:07 AM

Feb 2015
pennsatucky said:
wow. seriously. at some point I began to think this couldn't get dumber. firstly, it was obvious that Taroumaru had turned into a zombie so there's no surprise. but the fact that Kurumi decided to kill/ hurt the zombie Megu-nee because of a frickin dog just pisses me off since, well, what was the point of hurting the beloved Megu for a dog that couldn't be saved whatsoever? imo the rage seemed forced.

It's a desperate and cornered sort of rage. She knows that there's nothing she can do to fix the situation, only that more and more is being taken away from her.

pennsatucky said:
and OBVIOUSLY Kurumi would let her feelings go so eventually she got bitten easily (maybe that's what makes us people but it's simply trivial in this case). I've always liked Kurumi but that was the dumbest move ever when she saw Megu and went further.

I think that helps to make sense of why the virus spreads so easily despite the zonbies being so weak. They retain enough of their humanity that it still takes people by surprise and forces them to steel themselves against their own emotions.

Also what I said in my first post on this thread.

pennsatucky said:
what annoys me even more is that Miki, watching her friend die, began to cry because of.. guess who.. Taroumaru, a goddamn dog. there's so much drama and interesting stuff in the episode but the dog still got too much attention.

Taorumaru was her last link to Kei, and she lost him just after he finally seemed to accept her, and on top of that Kurumi wasn't going to be able to protect them either. It's the sort of situation where a sudden outburst of crying isn't exactly nonsensical. I think Taorumaru was just the straw that broke the Miki's back.

BryanLoeher said:
I dont know if someone already did this but, here is opening changes in this episode:

It's really speeding up with the changes. I can't wait until the season is over just to see the contrast between the first and last OP's!
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 11, 2015 6:20 AM

Jan 2015
fredchickens said:
Huh WHAT THE ACTUAL FCK ARE TALKING ABOUT did you really think that was the reason why she did that to Megu-zombie, AFAIK that was the basement where the supplies for survival are located, it even explained in one scene that it is the basement which was explained on the manual they're holding, and the only way to get into it is of course kill Megu-zombie.

o well sure. that would make sense if only there was no "you did this to him" line after which Kurumi moved further and I doubt that she could still think straight about exploring the basement after seeing the zombie dog. her main purpose was to find Taroumaru, not the supplies, and then she let her emotions take over her which means she had no proper chance to do anything besides running away really
Sep 11, 2015 7:05 AM
May 2014
Got chills when Yuki noticed the broken window, and seeing Kurumi not able to deal with Taroumaru and Megu-Nee was pretty heartbreaking.
Sep 11, 2015 7:07 AM

Feb 2013
I don't recall the zombies smashing the barricade in the manga. Should be interesting what this'll mean for the ending.
Sep 11, 2015 7:07 AM
Jun 2012
SayuriUliana said:
BrianMX34 said:
It was a good episode but I just felt it was too little too late. They focused so much on the cute moe slice of life that the tension of the reality of the anime was lost. I lost a lot of hope for the anime after the atrocity that was episode 9. Now it's bringing the darkness of the anime back in but I'm just not as invested anymore. The balance of moe SOL and horror was just way off and the anime suffered overall for it :(

The moe though amplifies the discrepancy between the slice of life and the horror, which further amplifies the latter. Basically, the moe SOL is the bright, comforting light... that turns out to be attached to an approaching train at full throttle, and you're tied down to the tracks.

Besides, being able to give justification for said SOL is what makes Gakkou Gurashi more than just the average zombie flick.

I totally get that's what it was trying to do, the contrast of moe SOL and horror was a really cool idea imo. However, I felt the balance of the two was really off. There was substantially more SOL than there was horror. It felt like most episodes were all SOL then a quick reality check in the last 5 minutes.
Sep 11, 2015 7:44 AM

Sep 2013
Now, this is getting good!
Sep 11, 2015 7:49 AM

Sep 2013
And oh, no.... best girl has to be saved!
Sep 11, 2015 7:58 AM

Jan 2015
DaisukiAishiteru said:
Poor Kurumi :(

Anime original ending. You can't be 100% sure about it.
gedata said:
I don't recall the zombies smashing the barricade in the manga. Should be interesting what this'll mean for the ending.

They are adapting the 5th chapter with some changes
Sep 11, 2015 8:03 AM

Mar 2014
Even though I loved this episode, it took way too long for this to happen.

I don't know why the people making this show are trying so hard to drag out the events of the manga with all the SOL filler.

The only reason I can think is that they're trying to make the source material last as long as they can so they can make a season 2?
Sep 11, 2015 8:23 AM

Jan 2015
asdfghjklbreanna said:

The only reason I can think is that they're trying to make the source material last as long as they can so they can make a season 2?

Oh, you are so smart. I didn't think about it. 2nd season wouldn't be bad.
Sep 11, 2015 8:32 AM

Feb 2015
Xenocrisi said:
asdfghjklbreanna said:

They're probably doing that and if they do, I'll be a little disappointed for some reason.

Sep 11, 2015 8:32 AM

Jan 2015
Caelidesu said:
Xenocrisi said:

They're probably doing that and if they do, I'll be a little disappointed for some reason.

Why? Maybe they will follow the manga more.
Sep 11, 2015 9:04 AM

Dec 2009
I hate this show, i hate it i hate it i hate it.
*marks is a minimum of 8/10 probably higher.*
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Sep 11, 2015 9:23 AM

Jun 2013
Taroumaru is gone and there's zombie sensei and of course there's a cure
Sep 11, 2015 9:35 AM
Dec 2012
Holy shit dude! This episode was soo intense... Lot of BS happened at the same fking time, I can't take all of this at one time! The scene Kurumi with Megu-nee was executed magnificently. The previous episode shown Taroumaru finally accepts Mii-kun, now you're telling me that he fking turned into a rabies dog? That's so sad man...
Sep 11, 2015 10:01 AM

Feb 2015
Xenocrisi said:
Caelidesu said:

Why? Maybe they will follow the manga more.

I'm definitely reading the manga once this season is over, but for now I don't know what's happening and that's making it more fun to watch c:
I still knew Kurumi was going to be hurt and that Taroumaru was going to turn feral though, but the end of the season will surprise me no matter what!
CaelidesuSep 11, 2015 11:00 AM

Sep 11, 2015 10:59 AM

May 2015
Sincerely this anime was boring me the last 3 or 4 episodes. But it seems start to improve.

and... is it necessary 'censor' the zombies?

Sep 11, 2015 11:03 AM

Jul 2014
ayy lmao they're gonna die

ohshinigamiSep 11, 2015 11:06 AM
Sep 11, 2015 11:07 AM

Jan 2015
Harsel said:
Sincerely this anime was boring me the last 3 or 4 episodes. But it seems start to improve.

and... is it necessary 'censor' the zombies?

it's just their way to draw the zombies. Not that i am complaining.
Sep 11, 2015 3:03 PM

Jan 2011
What the hell was up with the art and direction in this episode?
The art was very inconsistent, still frames in action scenes?

Important moments felt weak compared to those of previous episodes.
Why did they spend so much money on the previous

The money that went to Charlotte should have gone to this show, seriously...

Good episode, but it could have been soooo much better... RIP humanity
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Sep 11, 2015 4:17 PM
Feb 2011
Given that pinky promise between Yuuri and Kurumi I wonder will she consider or actually try killing her in the next episode.

But damn she's taking it long to become a zombie, how convenient.
Sep 11, 2015 4:24 PM

Jul 2010
Jonesy974 said:
The fucking school gate is open for Christ sakes.

This and all the other things you pointed out. I was thinking the same thing all the time, at least with the fucking gate, but I guess if they did it, there would not be enough action ... And the other thing at the mall -> yep, we are going to buy swimsuits, because we are girls (in a zombie apocalypse world).
Sep 11, 2015 5:28 PM

Mar 2008
Anything but best girl Kurumi, why her! Everythings going to hell and the barriers are breaking. Please save Kurumi and get out!
Sep 11, 2015 6:45 PM

Mar 2014
Everything's going to hell. I love it.
Zanos1Sep 11, 2015 7:50 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 11, 2015 8:41 PM

Aug 2015
dfsafsaf said:
But damn she's taking it long to become a zombie, how convenient.

It's kinda hard to tell how fast people turn after being bitten in this story. This is just my speculation but I'm guessing it really just depends on how bad the bite is and how strong your immune system is at the time and even then I think at most people will end up turning within maybe 1-2 hours.

What we know from the anime:
From what we've seen in the anime the virus does spreads quickly, you can already see it coursing through Kurumi, which we can only assume that back in episode 2 with Kurumi's sempi he went through something similar. How much time passed between him being bitten, going with Kurumi to the nurses office and then to the roof is unknown but I can only guess that he was bitten pretty badly for him to have turned as fast as he did.
Another clue is in the mall when both Miki and Kai saw the zombiefied old women. With what little time passed she turned quickly as well.

What we know from the manga:

In conclusion I guess we could just chalk it up to story convenience but I still like my theory of the person's health and how badly they where bitten being the reason for different zombification times.

On another note addressing some dislikes of Kurumi acting out of character when she attacked Megu-nee recklessly.

The first clue that something like this was going to happen was back on episode 2 when she first froze after seeing the cellphone of her fellow student. Kurumi is far from being the badass zombie killer everyone is making her out to be and that's what I like about her character. In order to deal with the zombies her mind set up the defense of the black mist to block out their faces (It's somewhat similar to what Yuki has been doing) and allows her to see them as monsters instead of people she may have known.

Her freezing up when face to face with Megu-nee was just another moment like in ep 2 so folks shouldn't be as surprised that something like this happened again. Only this time with how close she was to Megu-nee it really hit home for her, and she finally ran out of luck.

Her choice to not run away after seeing it was Megu-nee is just her being her in my opinion.
She's reckless and in her current state of being confused, angry and sorrowful over Taromaru, she finally exploded and chose to recklessly rush in and attacked Megu-nee.

Anyway that's just my 3 cents in the matter.
Sep 11, 2015 10:23 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, so much happened this episode and i love it!

Poor Taroumaru, i had figured SOMETHING was gonna happen to him eventually due to the Bit in the OP.
Megu-nee, terrifying, but for once though i almost wished that haze wasn't there, but at the same time it really added to the horror.
I can't imagine the Emotion though that would've been going through Kurumi's head seeing 1. Her adorable puppy friend attacking her due to the infection and 2. Seeing Zombie Megu-nee.
I don't believe they've really stated how long an Infection takes yet in the anime, please correct me if i missed that. So i'm wondering how long Kurumi will have; if they do kill off the main cast in this season i'd be extremely surprised!

EVERYTHING is going to shit, with the Infection to the Barricade to now it appears Yuki is Remembering the Events?!?

Once again Really good episode. To the point where this episode has pretty much convinced me to at least purchase the first volume of Gurashi once it's available in English.
Argue? Nah Too lazy For That...
Are You Ready!~Gulcasa
Sep 11, 2015 10:39 PM

Sep 2014
Haha, Taroumaru the little killer dog. Cutie.

What was that black/purple smog around Megu? Is it there for censoring?
Mirai, zura~!
Sep 11, 2015 10:48 PM

Mar 2012
I'd like this series to develop like the girls "conquering" parts of the school, eliminating zombie by zombie and taking over the entire school, building a fort around it so other zombies wouldn't be able to enter the school and stuff like that... but seems like there aren't any good authors with zombie-genre manga with good developing stories, fuck this shit. What's cool is what they don't make, but they can waste time and money on Kawaii/moe zombie crap that takes forever to develop, wtf.

It had a good start with Yuki's delusions and their missions to get food, go to the shopping and shit but it turned out really bad to be honest.
And the best character is going to die already? I'm talking about the dog here, I'm completely serious about it.

EeveeRain said:
Haha, Taroumaru the little killer dog. Cutie.

What was that black/purple smog around Megu? Is it there for censoring?

Yep, because her face/body is all fucked up.
b1GZZSep 11, 2015 11:07 PM
Sep 12, 2015 2:19 AM

Jul 2007
b1GZZ said:

Yep, because her face/body is all fucked up.

Its not a fucking censorsing, it is a stylistic choice, int his case specifically for Kurumi's psycho/adrenaline perception. And when not in that point of view anime intentionally portrays zombies as off-focus things, because, well, they are NOT the focus of the narrative.

Gods I love people who can't think. NO wait I don't.
Sep 12, 2015 3:02 AM

Sep 2009
Loved the tone of this episode.

I also like how people want to see more of the zombies.

While I'm here just wanting to see these moe girls gut one another.
Sep 12, 2015 3:33 AM

Jun 2013
LOL Miki was more bummed out about the dog than Kurumi hahaha
Sep 12, 2015 3:35 AM

Jan 2015
lucidbrandon said:
LOL Miki was more bummed out about the dog than Kurumi hahaha

Miki knew Taroumaru more than Kurumi.
Sep 12, 2015 4:00 AM

Nov 2011
Kurumi is turning into a zombie while Miki is like Tarooooooooomaaaaaaruuuu!
The manga didn't deserve a retarded adaptation.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2015

511 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Feb 23, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

289 by PahLevia »»
Feb 16, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

228 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Feb 6, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

226 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 24, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2015

227 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 20, 7:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.