Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 12, 2012 11:57 PM

Apr 2012
That was a really enjoyable watch. Pretty much all of the elements I like about the show were included here but with some improved visuals added to the mix. The plot wasn't exactly deep but it was entertaining. Also, I can't really say that this film would offer much to those who are not already fans of the series but as a companion movie to the show it works well.

Strong World has some minor flaws but, as a One Piece fan, I was very pleased with the overall product.
Aug 31, 2012 5:27 AM

Jul 2011
Best movie of OP so far! I'm glad that Oda has directly participated in this movie.

9/10
Oct 3, 2012 2:17 AM

Jun 2008
I'm really disappointed in this movie, the animation quality was top notch, but the plot was bad, felt like an average filler to me. Yawned during whole movie.
Oct 26, 2012 9:09 PM

Jun 2012
i rated this movie 8/10

i agree, gigant thor axe is really epic
this is first Luffy's massive destruction attack (FYI : raw impact of Gigant Thor axe has already destroyed that island)

but, they're have minus point..
Luffy vs Shiki was too short
the moment when Luffy destroyed 6 of Shiki's lion ground technique was really epic, but i wonder why their fight so short and suck after that?
GearJetJun 8, 2013 12:39 AM
Nov 17, 2012 7:04 AM

Jul 2008
why nami try to hide the last line from lufy
Dec 16, 2012 5:03 PM

Jul 2012
I think the early scenes with those extremely fast bull like animals could have been better if when the island was falling apart with sanji the trees roots were grown more causing the island to literally crumble under them. Would have been great to show off the enhanced animations.
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...
Dec 19, 2012 9:01 AM

Oct 2010
I was also kind of disappointed by the plot. It builds up something really promising, the Straw Hats against a survivor of the Gold D. Roger era, the only man alive who's been able to escape from Impel Down, and a guy with such a massive, retardedly overpowered Devil Fruit, yet when the crew gets serious he suddenly turns into an idiot who isn't able to make any serious damage. The moment of Luffy being trapped in the giant mass of water, almost dead, and Shiki saving him under the stupid idea that he would fall and die is absurd to some really serious levels. His plan of spending 20 years modifying animals to spread them through the East Blue doesn't make sense either in a guy so overpowered that he could pretty easily do all of it himself. And the conclusion with those people flying and living in peace with the animals was so stupid and uninspired.

It was quite enjoyable, I won't deny that. I am in a point of the series where I really miss the dynamics of the Straw Hats, and this movie made a great effort at bringing it at its fullest form. I missed something more by Franky and Robin, and Luffy for some reason felt a little overdone in his reactions, but overall the ratio of jokes was excellent and it gave every character the chance to shine in their own way. I'm sort of glad that Nami took a main role.

I also appreciate the narrative choice they took, with a sort of complicated flashback structure and introducing characters before putting them in context. It made the first 20-30 minutes of the movie incredibly interesting to see.

The fights, were great and excellently animated, the other great quality about this work is the care they put to make everything look so clean and spectacular. The Giant Thor moment was so visually striking that I almost forgot my problems with the storyline at that point.

On the other hand, the music seems pretty weak and below average to me. I don't know why, but as the series goes on I tend to be less and less amazed by its song choices. In this case the opening and ending songs were quite bad.

Overall, a good movie, enjoyable just because of the characters and with some great emotional moments (the conversation between Usopp and Nami got me), but not the best I've seen in One Piece. I don't know. For example the first movie felt better to me, it was way simpler, but it had the character dynamics and a very basic yet charming spirit of adventure; it reminded me more of the mood of the series than Strong World.
May 15, 2013 12:18 AM

Sep 2011
Luffy in a black suit #Badass.

9/10.
Jul 12, 2013 12:15 PM

Sep 2009
OMG when the whole crew went to save Nami like a mafia >.< that's fanservice for me! Especially Robin using her shortgun so coolly. Really suits her.
Oct 22, 2013 3:14 PM

Sep 2013
Epic movie with an interesting plot based on my enjoyment I would rate it a 10.
Dec 20, 2013 11:08 PM

Jun 2011
Valaskjalf said:
In other words, this movie doesn't offer anything fresh and is just here to please the fan.

What's your initial expectation? Anime series movies weren't created to please the fans, then what? count out the sequels/prequels
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 26, 2013 5:11 PM

Aug 2013
i did like how nami was like "that message was directed at you"

then realised he hadn't listened to the whole thing, so didn't want him to hear it...

awesome.

not enough of luffy in chibi form though ;)
Jan 5, 2014 1:08 PM

May 2009
Great movie but I didn't think Luffy'd be able to beat Shiki.
I mean, wasn't the guy supposed to be one of Roger's rivals? Then again, that doesn't directly imply he was super strong or something.
Still, the giganto thor axe was pretty awesome.
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Mar 20, 2014 10:30 PM

Aug 2013
I don't understand... why is this so well received? it's not that great... people telling me I HAD TO WATCH THIS... disappointed a bit... it's like... maybe an 8.. and I'm leniant with scores.
May 17, 2014 12:20 AM

Dec 2012
A bit disappointed. Anyway, that was a good movie and Luffy and his crew in black suit were badass.
Tha_NaMay 17, 2014 5:26 AM

Aug 10, 2014 4:59 PM

Dec 2008
Most of the times Shonen Movies are a train wreck (Naruto) but this one came out alright. Sure it had it flaws, like the brainless creatures and that silly chicken peacock but that aside Luffy and the crew were amazing. That scene when the shop up to rescue Nami all dressed up and armed to the teeth was just great.
Oct 10, 2014 10:29 AM

Oct 2013
Good movie,8/10 from me,the movie's animation was amazing.

Dec 8, 2014 7:32 PM

Feb 2014
This movie was EPIC!
I absolutely loved it! I think it is the best One Piece movie I've seen so far! It was simply amazing! The comedy, the action, the story, the emotions, everything was amazing!

10/10.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jan 17, 2015 2:41 PM

Aug 2014
This movie was kind of good. I wasn't expecting too much because it wasn't made by Oda. I didn't like that the villains were way too silly. The only good parts were the character development with Nami and Luffy's fight. Luffy's final attack was pretty cool.
Apr 3, 2015 3:11 AM

Jun 2011
Just had to re-watch the team fight between Shiki and Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Chopper and Usopp after I watched the preview of episode 0. Epic stuff. It's sad that many couldn't look past shallow stuff like "it's just like the main series" or "it didn't offer new plot" etc and couldn't enjoy the movie as much as they could have. A good series transcends plots and character developments, that's how I personally see it anyway.

Not to say there wasn't anything disappointing about the movie.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 15, 2015 8:42 PM

Apr 2011
Meh, the villagers got out so easily in the end, but since I'm not the devil, I'll let it go.

The movie was fun to watch, everyone had a role.
Dec 15, 2015 11:30 AM

Mar 2015
Artwork and animation were amazing.

Robin looks so hot with glasses and Nami-swaan in a swimsuit <3

They trusted Lion Shiki way too easily. Luffy I understand, but the others...
The Dr with the farting shoes sounds a lot like Caeser Clown.

The teamwork when they first fought Shiki was really good and exciting. Its rare to see the strawhats work together, normally they fight 1v1 or 2v2.

Nice ending, the bit with the tone dial was kind of boring though. Had more of One Piece feel to it than the other movies and reminded me of the first major arcs

8.5/10
Mar 20, 2016 7:42 AM

Feb 2015
It was an alright movie was expecting a bit better the antagonist Shiki was serviceable didn't feel he let up to his reputation but his crew was awful so no other characters really had a chance to shine.

Robin always looking so fine in these movies though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2016 8:37 AM

Oct 2014
I'm afraid I can't help but love anything One Piece, no matter what. But I've seen some negative reviews on it which have made me open my eyes and try to set aside my love for it.

For example, the story was meh. Shiki went down a bit too easy, but I guess he relied a lot on his fleet (even back in the fight with Roger) so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that Luffy beat him so fast. --I mean, during the time Luffy prepared for that final Thor-something attack, Shiki could've totally flown away haha. Though it's most likely just the pacing of the anime that gives you that impression. All in all, the villains were dull and can't even be compared to, say, Doffy.

What I really loved and wanted more of was the interaction between the Mugiwara pirates. That's what really made this movie enjoyable! That, and some of the fights: Sanji vs Gorilla AND everyone's favorite - Zoro vs. Indigo. Ok there's actually nothing that memorable about the fights themselves besides Zoro's freaking awesome technique! *o* and Sanji acting like the funny pervert he is (+Brooke taking all the glory, yohohoho!). It really feels as though everything but the Mugiwara pirates was there just to make them look good lol.

Also, the freaking animation ♥ I want more! :D

So yeaaaah. I guess the movie isn't that great if you think about it. But to me, all the little funny scenes and occasional badass fights were worth the watch! The music wasn't that bad either, DID U SEE HOW AWESOME LUFFY'S LEAP WAS AT THE BEGINNING :0 all thanks to the music!
Jul 26, 2016 3:14 PM

Mar 2015
Wow this movie was brilliant! The action was great, it was fun to see all those crazy animals and how the gang dealt with them as they were encountered!

Nami looked absolutely gorgeous in her various outfits and I thought Robin in glasses was something else amazing

10/10!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 3, 2016 8:22 PM

Oct 2009
I adore this movie and I was so glad to see the end and up certain characters ended up including the grandma and her sister.
Aug 30, 2016 10:52 AM

Sep 2014
Very good movie. Oda-sensei did really well overall enjoyed the film a lot :)
May 5, 2017 4:50 AM

May 2014
Eh, average movie. My biggest problem was Shiki.

He was known as someone who rivaled Roger back in the day. In the beginning of the movie, the Marines were shitting their pants over him, including Garp and Sengoku. Him being defeated by pre-timeskip Straw Hats is completely ridiculous. Hell, I doubt Luffy would have it this easy even if he was post-timeskip.

Shiki was completely underwhelming.

The best part of this movie is the Straw Hat Crew's entrance wearing suits.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Jun 13, 2017 7:04 PM

May 2014
You can tell Oda helmed this one, it just encapsulated everything I love about One Piece- goofiness, banter between the crew, lots of style and those lovely heartfelt moments to boot!

Obviously, I'm gonna be biased here because there was a lot of Nami in Strong World and she's my Queen one of my favorite characters in One Piece.
It was kind of like Arlong v. 2.0...only it seemed sadder because at this point, Nami's already left that stuff behind and been saved by Luffy.
So to have something similar again after being given hope and finding happiness & trust in people made it worse :/

Anyway, this film really showcased everything I love about Nami.

That infiltration scene was hype af, and I especially loved Usopp trying to kick down the door but getting his foot stuck. At least he tried lmao
Everyone looked so sassy too- at least we know what a One Piece Mafia AU would be like now.

Also conflicted because Luffy looked so charming in that suit- like, is he my type? Is he not? Stop confusing me man XD
The point I'm trying to make here is that he should wear suits more often!

There were quite a few Nami x Luffy hints in this one too, huh?
Especially at the end with Luffy sulking because Nami didn't believe in him, and how Nami said the message was directed at him.

I wonder if Oda is trying to shift them into end-game pair material...now that I think about it, the Nami x Luffy hints have gotten stronger over time- I just haven't noticed because the shift has been so gradual.
Doubt anything concrete will ever happen, but in my mind the only Straw Hats that could work as couples & not ruin the dynamic of the crew would be Luffy x Nami and Franky x Robin.
So I'm cool with it either way!

Also wtf was Carue's long lost sibling doing in this film? XD

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2018 7:41 PM

Oct 2016
The animation was very nice indeed, best part of the movie. Luffy in a suit was very unexpected but awesome nonetheless (but WTF Luffy with guns????), and I never asked for Robin with glasses, but now I desperately need it in my life.

However the fucking fanservice oh my god, why must it ALWAYS happen? Why must Nami be half-naked for 2/3 of the movie, with close-ups of her breasts and butt? Goddamn man I swear, this just wasn't worst than that fucking film where Nami's boobs giggle in every fucking scene.

Anyway, also nice to see everyone together again after they have split up on the series (ep 429 for now).
Feb 24, 2018 3:12 AM

Dec 2015
Probably my favourite movie so far; the plot tied together neatly through to the end and all the characters shone through perfectly :) I was hoping to see some haki/gear 4th but I guess this was too far back in the timeline? I loved how the crew just happened to have an armoury of guns (courtesy of Frankie?) alongside a wardrobe of formal clothes for the one occasion.

As with all One piece movies comes plot convenience, however the movie was entertaining which is all I care about. The ED is a nice throwback + ending was clean :)
Prim3Feb 24, 2018 3:19 AM
~
Oct 8, 2018 12:10 PM

Apr 2018
One piece gold shits on this movie

The best thing about the movie was the animation quality.The rest was meh especially the plot which was mediocre and what made it even worst is the way they worked with it.

It just felt like an exetremly trashier version of the arlong parc arc (including nami's backstorie)

The movie seemed to care more about being pretty than actually being good in term of plot and storytelling

Even the fight scenes weren't that good smh
Dec 20, 2018 3:09 PM

Dec 2009
I remember really loving the 6th movie when I watched it the first time and being kinda bored watching this one... I've rewatched it today and was bored once again... The animation is good, music is neat and some moments were really cool (the intro for this movie and the part where they're all coming to Shiki's party with guns and smoking are the best part), otherwise the story and characters besides the Straw Hats are totally bland.
6/10
I hope my rewatch ofthe 6th movie won't be so disappointing. I also haven't watched the other movies yet (besides the 6th one) but I hope they are better than this one.
Jun 24, 2019 5:48 AM

Jun 2016
Since I wrote a lot I will put my post in spoiler tags.
Jul 27, 2019 2:01 PM

Jun 2012
Best One Piece movie ever. I loved this so much!
Oct 20, 2019 11:46 PM

Aug 2018
Awesome movie
Love it
May 28, 2020 11:10 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid movie! Even though the concept of the Movie is eerily familiar with Stampede & Z, I couldn't help but enjoy this a ton.

Setting, firstly, was brilliant! One Piece is known to have creative settings and this is like the pinnacle of it, if you ask me. IQ plants is a territory that's a little bonkers honestly but it hardly had any significance, in the first place.

Villain was straight-up stereotypical and there's hardly any positive input to highlight on this note but some of those random comedic moments for some reason succeeding in making me chuckle so I'll give props for that.

Luffy taking him down is a bit of a stretch considering he managed to hold his ground against the likes of Sengoku and Garp for a fair bit but I suppose that's a matter of plot convenience and underestimation that led to that. Funny how the Marines didn't have a say in this, I must say. Heck, Garp wasn't even shown anymore after the first 5-10 minutes or so.

Some nice references to Arlong and Skypeia arcs too, in the process. Always great to have these!

Animation Quality and the Sound Department were fantastic and I've got next to no complaints there. Some CGI indeed but well handled.

And finally, on to the Characters. It's cool how they all had their shining moments with an extra focus on Nami, and it was a treat to watch it all. Poor Storyline doesn't hold a candle against this, I suppose.

As such, I'm going to settle with a very generous 8/10 (7.5/10). Definitely more deserving of a 7/10 but it was a really fun watch and I feel like an 8/10 is more true to my experience. Might bring it down to a 7 later on though, who knows...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 25, 2022 8:47 PM

May 2016
While Golden Lion Shiki and his goons left a lot to be desired in terms of being a good villain, I really liked how this movie felt like a modernized version of One Piece's early arcs like Arlong Park and Skypiea.

The action segments were a lovely treat for the eyes and seeing the Straw Hats look cool just for the sake of it riled me up like the creators intended it to be. I suppose that my attachment towards Luffy and his crew along with my nostalgia for pre-timeskip One Piece made me enjoy this movie more than I would've otherwise but I'm not complaining~

Jun 2, 2022 4:08 PM

Feb 2012
Remember when this movie was in top 30?
Jun 15, 2022 2:11 PM

Nov 2010
Hmm, I got a bit sleepy towards the end, but overall it's still a very good movie. It's so far the best animated One Piece movie I've seen. I have yet to see the latest One Piece movies though. 8/10

Damn, for a "legendary" pirate, Shiki was beaten by a pre-timeskip Luffy. That means he's weaker than a Pacifista. I wonder why the Marines were so scared of him. lol
Aug 29, 2022 12:07 AM

May 2020
honestly this film alone beats 90% of the arcs up until episode 400
Sep 9, 2022 3:59 AM
Dec 2021
CickNipolla said:
honestly this film alone beats 90% of the arcs up until episode 400
what was that about," confession of love" in the end
Was oda hinting a LuNa end
Sep 12, 2022 6:10 PM
Jul 2021
I thought it was a pretty good movie.
Dec 6, 2022 8:58 AM
Mar 2020
This was an awesome movie. I just thought it was a wild and super fun ride from start to finish. Great animation and the outfits were incredible. Oda really knows how to dress his characters (as he wrote this movie and most likely consulted on the outfits). I also liked that Shiki was appropriately strong (as to be expected from a Pirate of Roger's era), and gives us a great idea of what we can expect when Whitebeard makes his appearance. Shiki really reminds me of Don Krieg, in a good way, by repaying Luffy's kindness with malice. The Straw Hats are super naive so it's great to see a pirate who actually acts like a pirate for once.

Of course Luffy being nice is what got them into this mess in the first place, but they would have ended up having to face off against Shiki anyways, if he was targeting the East Blue. Its super cool that they brought back that theme that while everyone makes fun of the East Blue as the weakest sea, the few that do make it are generational greats, first Roger (who was born and died in Loguetown) and now Luffy.

Really enjoyed seeing the Buster Call vice admirals again. Their character designs are so good and immediately convey to the viewer how badass and battle-hardened they are. I've loved all their designs ever since we first saw them in Enies Lobby, and hope we get to see them in the future!
callmethebigGDec 6, 2022 8:31 PM
Apr 20, 2023 9:10 AM
Jan 2019
it was a good one peice field
May 6, 2023 7:03 AM
Aug 2020
guns scorpions shiki idk its cool
Jun 16, 2023 2:54 AM

Aug 2019
Another incredible One piece movie!!

The animation was something else. I really like the antagonist, Shiki, and how they started the movie with him dumping those boats at the Marines. The plot was interesting, but I really wished we had learned more about Shiki’s past

Overall, it was a wonderful film.
Jul 27, 2023 1:53 AM
Oct 2019
Beautiful, Absolutely Beautiful!!
Finally seeing Shiki in action after the Anime mentioned him in Impel Down.

The Art, The Music, The Animation!!
This is the best One Piece movie so far.

The way Straw Hat Crews coming with the Drip and Guns?
Never seen Luffy used Gun before.(i think?)
That was EPIC!!

The civilians should live in Skypiea instead since they actually can fly.

Crazy how this quality for this movie are this good in 2009.

One criticism for me was the fillers leading up for the movie didn't add much for the movie.
I don't think it's necessary at all.

8/10
Dec 4, 2023 12:12 AM
Dec 2023
i had higher expectations
Dec 16, 2023 12:05 AM
Jul 2015
Reply to elisaalborne
i had higher expectations
Yea This movie was not as good or interesting at all compared to movie 6 (Baron) or 4 (Dead End). Even 2(Clockwork Island) was better.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» prequel or movie?

DerpySven - Sep 21, 2023

3 by SonikTonik »»
Sep 21, 2023 3:17 PM

» Is it necessary?

-Nir- - Jul 8, 2022

14 by davidyodo24 »»
Jul 27, 2023 1:39 AM

» Luffy x nami

paeanblotch - Jul 16, 2023

10 by paeanblotch »»
Jul 21, 2023 12:40 AM

» Here's an interesting thing to talk about

ShiroKokoni - Nov 13, 2022

0 by ShiroKokoni »»
Nov 13, 2022 2:21 AM

» onepiece movie strong world

evilantman - Jun 6, 2010

10 by AnimeAlex62 »»
Nov 24, 2020 5:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.