Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 26, 2015 11:55 AM

May 2015
Like the title says can I? would I miss out of anything important and If I do start watching this would I be confused ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2015 12:01 PM

Sep 2009
I watched this first before any other Macross series, so in my opinion yes, you can and you wouldn't really miss out on anything. This series is awesome and it got me into the franchise. I watched some other Macross anime, but this one is the top one for sure.
Aug 26, 2015 12:12 PM

Oct 2007
Yes you can. I also watched this first out of the franchise. There are some references to characters in the past series, but they are so tiny that it won't matter if you don't know who they are.
Aug 26, 2015 9:54 PM

May 2015
Amphetamine said:
I watched this first before any other Macross series, so in my opinion yes, you can and you wouldn't really miss out on anything. This series is awesome and it got me into the franchise. I watched some other Macross anime, but this one is the top one for sure.

Kuromii said:
Yes you can. I also watched this first out of the franchise. There are some references to characters in the past series, but they are so tiny that it won't matter if you don't know who they are.

Its been on my mind but I kept skipping it I never knew this was that good! EP1 really caught my attention thanks for the fast reply!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2015 9:51 AM

Nov 2011
Better yet, just watch the original Macross and the movie, which is the definitive Macross, if you don't want to get disappointed with every Macross series you watch past the original.
Nov 4, 2015 11:00 AM

Oct 2013
zetsu_shoren said:
Better yet, just watch the original Macross and the movie, which is the definitive Macross, if you don't want to get disappointed with every Macross series you watch past the original.

That's like, your opinion, man
Apr 6, 2016 6:44 AM
Oct 2015
yup watch this masterpiece right now
May 22, 2016 8:31 AM

Jan 2015
I'd watch the original Macross to understand who Lynn Minmay is and who the Zentradi are to a better degree. There are also some small references to the other series but they aren't important.
May 22, 2016 10:57 AM

May 2015
Oh lol haven't updated this XD watched it already a few months ago.
Aug 31, 2017 2:04 PM

Sep 2012
im thinking of watching Macross then Macross F. Do you guys think thats a good plan?
Aug 31, 2017 2:08 PM

May 2015
Bobby_S said:
im thinking of watching Macross then Macross F. Do you guys think thats a good plan?

That's actually perfectly fine. Macross Plus is pretty standalone, and you can watch the summary movie of Macross 7 (Macross FB7) after Frontier so that you don't miss anything. However, I recommend watching Macross Zero before Macross Frontier since it has a tiny connection to it. And if you have not seen Macross: Do You Remember Love? yet, definitely watch that first before Frontier.

In short:

Macross > Macross DYRL > Macross Zero > Macross Frontier.

Do try to watch Macross Plus when you get the chance though since it's also pretty good.
Aug 31, 2017 2:22 PM

Sep 2012
Tarotist said:
Bobby_S said:

That's actually perfectly fine. Macross Plus is pretty standalone, and you can watch the summary movie of Macross 7 (Macross FB7) after Frontier so that you don't miss anything. However, I recommend watching Macross Zero before Macross Frontier since it has a tiny connection to it. And if you have not seen Macross: Do You Remember Love? yet, definitely watch that first before Frontier.

In short:

Do try to watch Macross Plus when you get the chance though since it's also pretty good.

thanks for your quick reply.
Ok, what about watching frontier first then the orignal Macross? this is what i did with Gundamn seeed, i watched seed first and loved them. but ive heard that both the original Macross and frontier are really good.
BTW, i havent seen any of the Macross, im completely new to it.
Aug 31, 2017 2:37 PM

May 2015
Bobby_S said:
Tarotist said:

In short:

Ok, what about watching frontier first then the orignal Macross? this is what i did with Gundamn seeed, i watched seed first and loved them. but ive heard that both the original Macross and frontier are really good.

You could watch Frontier before the original Macross (which I will refer to as SDF Macross, SDF meaning "Super Dimensional Fortress"), however, you will appreciate Frontier a LOT more if you watch SDF Macross first. In the Gundam series, other than the Universal Century series, the Alternate Timeline Gundams like Wing, SEED, and 00 are standalone stories. In Macross, all of the series are connected, and the sequels always make a reference to the original Macross.

For example, if you watch Frontier without having seen SDF, you'll say "Oh this looks cool!"
But if you watched SDF before Frontier and you watch Frontier, you'll say "Oh! I saw that in SDF! Awesome!"

Watching Macross is a really fun experience, and the best way to experience the series is to watch SDF and DYRL before you watch any of the others. Frontier is amazing, but please be patient and watch the original first. It'll make the difference between you doing this:
Aug 31, 2017 3:06 PM

Sep 2012
Tarotist said:
Bobby_S said:

You could watch Frontier before the original Macross (which I will refer to as SDF Macross, SDF meaning "Super Dimensional Fortress"), however, you will appreciate Frontier a LOT more if you watch SDF Macross first. In the Gundam series, other than the Universal Century series, the Alternate Timeline Gundams like Wing, SEED, and 00 are standalone stories. In Macross, all of the series are connected, and the sequels always make a reference to the original Macross.

For example, if you watch Frontier without having seen SDF, you'll say "Oh this looks cool!"
But if you watched SDF before Frontier and you watch Frontier, you'll say "Oh! I saw that in SDF! Awesome!"

Watching Macross is a really fun experience, and the best way to experience the series is to watch SDF and DYRL before you watch any of the others. Frontier is amazing, but please be patient and watch the original first. It'll make the difference between you doing this:

hahahaha, that spoiler really says a lot.
so by going what you said, watch the original first, then the movie and finally, frontier?
thanks so much

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - May 15, 2008

72 by Antanaru »»
Dec 31, 2022 11:36 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 21, 2008

123 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Nov 19, 2022 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.