Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 2, 2015 9:12 PM

Feb 2014
Hi everyone! After seeing the new Dragon Ball series coming out I had an huge nostalgic feeling to watch Dragonball again! Problem is I havent watched it since I was about 14 years old and there is so much more added to it! So I just got a few question that I would like to ask!

1) As far as I know you should watch Dragon Ball > Dragon Ball Z > Dragon Ball GT > Dragon Ball Super. What I want to know is should I watch Dragon Ball Kai instead of watching Dragon Ball Z. I know its takes all the filler out, resembles the manga more, and also I keep hearing the dubs are waaaay better than they were in Z (and yes, I'm wathing all of what I can in dub.) Or should I watch it all then go back to Kai?

also, inb4 GT isnt canon and Super picks off right after Z, I'm still going to watch it before Super for the simple reason that it was released before.

2) Is there a certain order I should watch all the movies? I was originally planning on finishing the series in order mentioned above and then watching the movies but I read somewhere that it would be a better experience to watch the movies where they come in in the timeline of the DB universe. If anyone could be so kind and include a flow chart when to watch everything in a certain order that would be wonderful but I wont hold my breath :p

3) I also plan on reading the manga sometime. Would it be better to read the manga then watch the anime or other way around. People say the manga doesnt bring DB to live quite like the anime does but I mean the manga is where it all started so I find that hard to believe. I will probably end of doing both but I would like to do the best possible way first to get the most experience.

4) Not that it matters but I'm just curious. Do you prefer Subs or Dubs for any of the DB movies or series?

Thanks for reading and I hope I can get some answers! :)
Prepare to be pummeled cheerfully, jauntily, and utterly one-sidedly! :3
Aug 2, 2015 9:36 PM

Jan 2009
1) go watch Dragonball > Dragonball Kai > Dragonball Super
just neglect Dragonball Z since its too slow and too many fillers that you are just gonna waste your time, and avoid watching Dragonball GT since Toriyama himself hated that and its not really part of the story line anyway, its more of like an alternative future

2) all the movies of Dragonball except Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F are just spin-offs or not part of the original story anyway, so just watch it in order of what MAL provides, MAL already listed the movies in order of their release date anyway

3) if you just want to refresh your memory about the story then just reading the manga only will be better imho, although the manga scanlations for Dragonball are in bad quality, and there is an ongoing rework to improve the quality of the manga scanlations but they are far from complete, so you might not enjoy reading a shitty picture quality of the manga

4) it does not matter for me as long as i can watch it im fine with either subs or dubs
Apr 7, 2016 11:43 PM

Apr 2014

charlimit------------
themanualreader@proton.me
Apr 8, 2016 12:27 AM

Feb 2015
Would probably recommend Kai over Z, even though the voices and music in Z dubbed are vastly superior. Kai skips all the filler and has a better pacing.
Don't bother with GT. It sucks and isn't even part of the canon storyline.
Apr 8, 2016 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
Milennin said:
Would probably recommend Kai over Z, even though the voices and music in Z dubbed are vastly superior. Kai skips all the filler and has a better pacing.
Don't bother with GT. It sucks and isn't even part of the canon storyline.

Voives are the same in Kai.....Voice acting however is MUCH MUCH better in Kai. I agree on the music though especially for the transformation. They just don't have that epic wowness like in Z. Some scenes destroy Z though like Goku fully healed in the Healing Chamber back on Namek, SOOO EPIC IN KAI!!!

@Cruisawooski Make sure you watch the Blu-Ray for Kai. You won't get dumb shit censoring like Blue Mr Popo LOL. I love Z but those damn fillers and unbelievable long ass stretched as fuck episodes was just TOO much to bear these days so i went for Kai when I wanted to rewatch the series, just wish the fkn Buu saga gets a dub already and gets released on Blu-Ray so i can finish it.

So yh. Dragon Ball>Dragon Ball Kai>Dragon Ball Super

Though I recommend watching the movies Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F instead since from what I hear, DB Super in the beginning is just a rehash and it just sucks compared to the movies. Slow as Naruto fighting going on...pffft. Only now I think its going further than the movies. I think it does have more info than the movies but I can't confirm it

Dragon Ball>Dragon Ball Kai>Battle Of Gods>Resurrection F>Dragon Ball Super (at whatever episode that's past the movies)

Pretend GT doesn't exist and the only good thing from it was SSJ4 and SSJ4 Gogeta.
TheNoseOfDeathApr 8, 2016 1:06 AM
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 15, 2016 6:23 PM

Jul 2007
As an advid fan of dbz for the past 20 years, i would honestly recommend Z over kai for the simple reason of the sound tracks of the ocean dub were just so superior to anything that is out now.

The fillers are also really fun to watch and actually help develop certain relations with characters, anyone up for teaching goku some driving lessons :p Plus its nice to have a little small intermission and break from the hectic battles and action every now and then and sit down and enjoy some of the comedic elements of the DB universe, which you don't get alot of in kai.

Trust me, you'll enjoy it.

GT can be skipped cause its just an alternative future story line. Dragon ball super takes place after Z. But if you must, GT can be enjoyed also. Its not ALL that bad. Do what you want though

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 122 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - Oct 11, 2010

27 by GeoRush »»
Yesterday, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 117 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 13, 2013

17 by GeoRush »»
Apr 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 12 Discussion

Yokurama - Feb 13, 2008

15 by Dumb »»
Apr 24, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.