Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2015 3:16 PM
Mar 2015
I've.completed Naruto's first season (sans filler) and don't feel like watching the second season any time soon. I also have One Piece on hold since I want to marathon the latest arc once over. So now I needed to watch another anime and after throwing a dice, I got HxH out of six choices. Now the thing is, my friends have been telling me how awesome it is, and how different from other 'shounen' it is. But I've really enjoyed the other shounen so I'm wondering if it's different in a
way that people who like shonen can also enjoy it. One Piece is by FAR my favourite anime and I've recently learned it's a shounen so I'm not sure how being diffetent from it is a good thing. There's also the fact that due to my friends, my expectations from it are too high, I'm afraid, and that generally leads to disappointed, like with Frozen. So I essentially have three questions:

1. Is HxH really different from other sgounen? If so, how (no spoilers)?
2. Can someone who enjoy shounen also enjoy it?
3. Should I watch it now or later once my expectations are lowered?

I wanted to ask these questions to myfriends but I think they are a bit too fanboyish about HxH to provide an unbiased answer.

Thanks in advance^^
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 29, 2015 3:18 PM

Jun 2014
It's not that different, people like to throw around the word "Dark" with it constantly.

Not any more tragic than any other shounen.
Jul 29, 2015 3:19 PM

Jan 2013
HxH is 2deep4u and objectively the best shounen
Jul 29, 2015 3:20 PM

Apr 2014
Tbh, it's not very different from a typical shounen; Main characters train or get new power, get stronger, and beat up the bad guy of the arc and it goes like that for most of the anime.
The biggest difference is that this is probably the greatest shounen you'll ever see.
Jul 29, 2015 3:21 PM
May 2015
HxH is about as different from other shounen as K–on! is from other seinen.
Jul 29, 2015 3:22 PM

Sep 2014
no it's not
Jul 29, 2015 3:24 PM

Nov 2011
It's a great battle shounen. It's different in the sense that different shows within the battle shounen genre are different.

The way I was introduced to HxH is thus: "If you like One Piece, you'll like this."

It turned out to be true for me. I would have a hard time picking one over the other.
Jul 29, 2015 3:29 PM

Jun 2014
Isaac_ said:

1. I don't think so, but in general when people say it's different they mean it's better/more mature so it's not really negative.
2. Yes
3. If you don't wanna be disappointed yes, it depends on how high your expectations are.
Jul 29, 2015 3:31 PM

Nov 2009
Isaac_ said:

I wanted to ask these questions to myfriends but I think they are a bit too fanboyish about HxH to provide an unbiased answer.

Thanks in advance^^

1. Well, yes. But not that much. I'm not good with words, just trust me for now, heh. Somebody will come along and write you a good explanation soon enough.
2. Yes! I love One Piece too! It's all good
3. Just watch it whenever!

I do think that the dark trope is played out a little too much. What I mean is, it's my all time favorite show/manga and I do think it's very intelligent and dark (and more mature), but that's in comparison to other shounen. HxH has more deaths, more gore, and it's all done in a way that fits in the plot, not just for the sake of showing blood. It's as dark as shounen goes (for now?).
Don't worry too much about it, just watch it to have fun... ah, but do remember that it gets darker on later arcs, not at the beginning, so maybe watch it for a bit before dropping.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Jul 29, 2015 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
No its not, watch JoJo instead because its better.
Jul 29, 2015 3:35 PM

Sep 2013
watch the 2011 version
Jul 29, 2015 3:36 PM

Apr 2014
Feaor said:
yup
Jul 29, 2015 3:37 PM

Jun 2014
Harem_King said:
Feaor said:
Jul 29, 2015 3:37 PM

Apr 2012
No all battle shounen are trash

Jul 29, 2015 3:40 PM

May 2013
I'm currently on episode 125 of Hunter x Hunter (2011) and I must say, it does stand out when compared to other battle shounen's.
Jul 29, 2015 3:45 PM

Apr 2015
Feaor said:

Atleast the first part Is.
Jul 29, 2015 3:48 PM

Oct 2012
Tylaen said:
Feaor said:

If you're talking about Battle Tendency then certainly, even Part 3 is better than most of HxH with the exception of Yorknew imo.
Jul 29, 2015 3:49 PM
Sep 2008
Just go watch it, u will enjoy it after the 20th episode
Jul 29, 2015 3:52 PM

Apr 2015
Feaor said:
Tylaen said:

If you're talking about Battle Tendency then certainly, even Part 3 is better than most of HxH with the exception of Yorknew imo.

Talking about Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency as they form the first season, but yes.
Jul 29, 2015 3:53 PM

May 2015
It's not really that different but it's definitely my favourite. If you want a shonen that is different from all the others watch Gintama and or Jojo.
Jul 29, 2015 3:56 PM

Sep 2014
Well it's not different but it's more dark and powerful in the way it does stuff.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Jul 29, 2015 4:07 PM
Dec 2013
It's an unconvential battle shounen. I mean, if you enjoy long-running battle shounens in general, then there's a high chance that you'll enjoy HxH.
Jul 29, 2015 4:10 PM

Dec 2013
Best battle shonen ( if we exclude Brotherhood ).
Jul 29, 2015 4:11 PM

May 2013
Tylaen said:
Feaor said:

Talking about Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency as they form the first season, but yes.

Jul 29, 2015 4:24 PM

May 2015
Kokko said:
Tylaen said:

LOL basically every anime only watcher for Jojo.
Jul 29, 2015 4:40 PM

Mar 2015
Lol, what's JJBA got to do with this? It seems like edgy contrarians have found a new show.
Jul 29, 2015 4:42 PM

Oct 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
Lol, what's JJBA got to do with this? It seems like edgy contrarians have found a new show.
Its a better Battle Shounen than HxH, so I recommended it instead.
Jul 29, 2015 4:43 PM

Mar 2015
Feaor said:
AttackOnTetris said:

How it is "better"? I haven't seen it but from what I'm gathering it's apples and oranges and HxH is more like the things that the OP likes.
Jul 29, 2015 4:44 PM

Oct 2013
Not much difference. From What I've seen most people like hxh for its nen system and also the characters. It also doesn't have that Much action compare to most battle shounen. I guess people are entertain by the conversation between characters in hxh.
Jul 29, 2015 4:47 PM

Oct 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
Feaor said:

How it is "better"? I haven't seen it but from what I'm gathering it's apples and oranges and HxH is more like the things that the OP likes.
Obviously its imo, but it has better characters, Stands/Hamon is more interesting than Nen, and Dio is an amazing villain. There is more too it than that, but honestly I don't care for HxH all that much, especially the CA arc which is just awful imo.
Jul 29, 2015 4:48 PM

Mar 2015
My observations: At some point in time FMA:B was the hipster battle shounen. Then it became popular. Then HxH was the hipster battle shounen. Then it became popular. Now JJBA has become the hipster battle shounen. When will it all end???
Jul 29, 2015 4:52 PM

Mar 2015
Feaor said:
especially the CA arc which is just awful imo.

Well I obviously can't agree with that but at least it's a somewhat original opinion.
Jul 29, 2015 4:56 PM

Oct 2012
JoJo is hardly hipster, its more popular in Japan than HxH is, heck there was a collaboration with Gucci a few years back and in addition JoJo was featured in an exhibition at the Louvre along with art from 4 other comic artists.
Jul 29, 2015 5:05 PM

Mar 2015
Feaor said:
JoJo is hardly hipster, its more popular in Japan than HxH is,

But not on MAL which is ultimately all that matters now. I'm just saying that there's this cycle that keeps on spinning.
heck there was a collaboration with Gucci a few years back and in addition JoJo was featured in an exhibition at the Louvre along with art from 4 other comic artists.

Is that your argument against it being hipster? Hipsters love being able to name drop the Louvre because hipsters can't think for themselves and judge things on cultural references.
Jul 29, 2015 5:07 PM

Jun 2015
Hunter x Hunter 2011 is the best Shounen of all time!
Read Toriko!
Jul 29, 2015 5:09 PM

Jun 2015
Zeally said:
No all battle shounen are trash

You haven't even watched Hunter x Hunter 2011.
Read Toriko!
Jul 29, 2015 5:11 PM

Nov 2010
It's about the same amount of different as most battle shounen are to each other.

I don't see why not.

Always watch when your expectations are down. Having too high of expectations can ruin any anime.
Jul 29, 2015 5:20 PM

Feb 2015
Jerkhov said:
Harem_King said:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2015 5:22 PM

Jun 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
Feaor said:

But not on MAL which is ultimately all that matters now. I'm just saying that there's this cycle that keeps on spinning.
heck there was a collaboration with Gucci a few years back and in addition JoJo was featured in an exhibition at the Louvre along with art from 4 other comic artists.

Is that your argument against it being hipster? Hipsters love being able to name drop the Louvre because hipsters can't think for themselves and judge things on cultural references.

No it's cuz Araki is a fashion queen
Jul 29, 2015 5:32 PM

Oct 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
Feaor said:

Nah, its to demonstrate that JoJo actually has international recognition and acclaim, making it more mainstream. Also, lots of anime reference it all the time, if you ever see any character striking a ridiculous pose, chances are its a JoJo pose.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out btw, its so much fun, especially Battle Tendency which is my favorite battle shounen arc that has actually been adapted.
Jul 29, 2015 5:38 PM

Mar 2015
When I'm in the mood for something really campy, I will. If only people didn't always compare it to Gurren Lagann, I probably would've watched it by now lol.
Jul 29, 2015 5:58 PM

Jan 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
It's about the same amount of different as most battle shounen are to each other.

I don't see why not.

Always watch when your expectations are down. Having too high of expectations can ruin any anime.

Pretty much this.

Different shounen series have notable differences from each other. In HxH's case, the structure is different in that it is composed of many tangents that focus on specific themes over a continuous narrative, the protagonists stay very young all through, there are not many big fights. There are a few plot points that aren't concluded because of the infamous hiatuses, and there are typically more characters introduced to be killed off.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 29, 2015 6:10 PM

May 2014
Yes , it is different , but not in the sense of I am the only one who is different.

For example if you compare it to something like FMAB or jojo it's not that different at many aspects.

Look it is different because 1- it isn't monotonous and has variety between every arc *JJBA is this too*
2- no Bullshit asspulls *FMAB is this too*
3- Has a complex power system *None of both shows is this but some of the powers feel like they could fit easily in JJBA since you know JJBA was an inspiration , anyway I think some of the other battle shounen has so , but the good part about the complex power system is that in hunter x hunter it can make you understand every single detail of what's going on instead of just magic*
4- Great pacing *FMAB & JJBA have this too*.
5- Has one of the best arcs in any shounen manga that I have ever seen . But people tend to be divisive about it , but the storytelling method they hate is similar to LOTGH storytelling method at that one particular arc which I never understood why people don't like it.
6- No fillers *Both FMAB & JJBA*.

Anyway if you like battle shounen I would say that FMAB , JJBA and Hunter x Hunter 2011 are the best shounen battle shows. With hunter x hunter preceding them then followed by JJBA for it's creativity and uniqueness and then FMAB.

I have to say again that hunter x hunter isn't a creative show , it isn't JJBA after all , it has it's creative moments but what I like is the solid story and character development and the dark themes that it trespasses at some time. It's a unique battle shounen but every point it has isn't something that exists solely in it , it's how all those points exist in that shounen that makes it unique.

Anyway don't go with full expectations , expect yourself watching DBZ *No joke here* and you are going to soo love it , I was expecting a DBZ when I watched waaay back and probably that's why I got to see how good the show is in my humble opinion . *btw it is nothing like it , completely nothing like it*

Edit : It doesn't have that much fights like FMAB and leaves the plot to progress .

Another Edit : Don't expect the show to be an inventor of new tropes . It has it's fair share of similarties with every show , yet it has it's own identity. All I can say it's a really well written shounen *FMAB is this too xD Alright I am going to stop this*.

Last Edit : I too hate Frozen and think it's the worst disney movie to come to existence .
AkabawiJul 29, 2015 7:38 PM
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jul 29, 2015 11:17 PM

Mar 2012
I once dared the entire shonen fanbase to give me one thing HxH did that is a shonen cliche.

All failed.
Basically,
1- no asspulls
2- no plot holes
3- mature
4- has depth creatively and philosophically, far FAR more than the average one piece/naruto
5- it has no cliches, it may look like a cliche sometimes for a bait and switch effect, giving an original outcome ultimately.

Example: tournament arcs are a shonen trope right? Sure, but what happens after is a complete twist. Not sure if it's a spoiler or not. So I wont say.

6- originality. The only time it borrows an element is when it tries to embarrass said inspiration by making a much better version. (DBZ villains x Meruem)

At first I thought it was simply unique, turns out it's simply not a shonen.
Either way, it has no shonen cliches whatsoever. Zero.

One piece is generic and full of cliches, doubt you'll like this as well, unless you didn't understand the true essence of it.

Also lol@ FMAB not having asspulls.
MikasaJul 29, 2015 11:30 PM
End Zionazism
Jul 30, 2015 12:14 AM

Jun 2014
Isaac_ said:

1. Is HxH really different from other shounen? If so, how (no spoilers)?
Depends on what they meant by 'different.' Also, I'll take it that they meant battle shonen. It really felt somewhat original compared to all the shounen I used to watch when I was as a kid. After watching it shortly after DBZ when younger, I was immediately hit by the fact that HxH 1999 had far fewer fights and a lower focus on them on on average. That difference is still prevalent till date. It was a good thing imo because it made HxH be the first action series where I heavily enjoyed theorycrafting since it was more content heavy (long drawn out fights are more a mixture of poor pacing, thin plot and fanservice if that's all there is to them).

Other differences became more apperent I watched more of HxH and other shonen. Generally, it subverts a lot of tropes or archetypes or uses them in fairly different ways permitting it to always be fresh and unpredictable. I remember being amazed by the reverse tournament thing. I don't think I've seen such a thing anywhere else. Nen was just the icing on the cake. There's also the fact that it's somewhat dark but that's more in comparison to modern battle shounen since some older ones like Hokuto no Ken (another amazing shounen, give it a try someday) easily give HxH a run for its money in that department. There are specific examples that I listed in the thread about original HxH ideas but they are too spoilery so I'll stop here.
Isaac_ said:
Obviously. A lot of people who enjoy HxH also enjoy other battle shonen and vice versa. There are also some people who generally aren't fans of other BS but enjoy it. It also has more than 200k members, is in the Top 5 on MAL and it's score has only been increasing along with its popularity which is really rare in general and even moreso for battle shonen since as they get more members, they generally get many more haters. This means that it can appeal to many. The only other BS i've seen which did that (getting more popular as well,as higher rated) is FMAB(it's number 1 on this site and several others, absolutely give it a try too)
Isaac_ said:
Later. When your expectations at at absolute zero. That's the best way to enjoy anything really. Watch Jojo first like someone else said.
AgafinJul 30, 2015 12:18 AM
Jul 30, 2015 1:04 AM

Oct 2013
AttackOnTetris said:
Feaor said:
especially the CA arc which is just awful imo.

Well I obviously can't agree with that but at least it's a somewhat original opinion.

Dude you do realize that he hasn't even seen the CA arc, right?
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jul 30, 2015 1:11 AM

Jul 2014
lol at no asspulls and no plot holes
Jul 30, 2015 1:12 AM

Dec 2012
Jojo is not more popular than HxH in Japan. It's more influential and iconic but not statistically more popular. HxH's international popularity is minuscule, so it's not a fair comparison.
tsudecimoJul 30, 2015 1:17 AM
Jul 30, 2015 2:33 AM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
Jojo is not more popular than HxH in Japan. It's more influential and iconic but not statistically more popular. HxH's international popularity is minuscule, so it's not a fair comparison.

JJBA is higher in manga sales, at least according to Wikipedia.
Jul 30, 2015 2:37 AM

Mar 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
tsudecimo said:

JJBA is higher in manga sales, at least according to Wikipedia.

Sales do not matter.
Jojo sold more but HxH had bigger impact on anime and inspired far more.
Even JoJo's later parts are said to take from HxH.
End Zionazism
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Anisamar - Oct 10, 2011

135 by WienGirl »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhaelynne »»
12 minutes ago

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.