Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 25, 2015 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
That was another great episode, my only complaint is that I didn't get to see the fatso die in the same way he killed the girls.

Black Lizard was funny but kinda disgusting.
Jul 25, 2015 6:16 AM

Dec 2010
This show lacks so much in terms of execution and the real atmosphere of how a mystery should be yet I just couldn't drop it lol. I
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2015 6:47 AM
Jul 2015
I made a mal account just to comment here, in this exact topic.

No offense, but this episode is just pure shit. The first episode was good. It introduced us to the "genre" this anime will take, but from there on it just sky dive (lol).

I dont hate this, mind you. Its kind of great that they changed the story of human chair. Although it was not as good, but it proves us that the staffs doing this show actually want to do this. But i think theyre doing it wrong. For example, black lizard's character is plain useless (Maybe not, but for now, it is). Like wtf dude? S&M thief? Who has "slaves" inside her prison? Why the hell does the government allow such thing?

Same thing goes with kobayashi. He clearly is designed to be female. Those big eyes, lashes, waist, hips, and ass is pure female to me. I agree that theyre created kobayashi with girl in mind. Dude, he is supposed to look like a girl, not actually a girl.

As for the sherlock holmes / other western inspiration well.. its forgivable, for me. Everybody has their own inspirations, one way or another. So i dont really mind.

But the thing that actually pushed me (hard, on the back) is that people actually like (italic this, please) this show. I dont understand, because i can find other much better mystery animes, if not, psychological thriller anime, way better than this. I am in no way talking bad about the the ep's lovers or bashing ranpo kitan though, its just my way to express my thoughts.

But even though i think this anime is shit from this episode (and ep 2 and 3), i certainly will continue to watch this, as i can see that this serie actually has the potential. There are many foreshadows up until ep 4, such as those butterflies, the 3 year old case, black lizard's and shadow man's ties with the character, the actual purpose of hashiba for the anime (except for being homosexual. wait. its not even his fault) and etc etc. With so many foreshadows, i am expecting a good climax by the end of the anime. Idk though.

(Newbie mal user, so please forgive me if this post displeases anyone. I am not posting to hurt any feelings. Just random ramblings.)
chesirenekoJul 25, 2015 6:55 AM
Jul 25, 2015 8:27 AM
Oct 2012
chesireneko said:
For example, black lizard's character is plain useless (Maybe not, but for now, it is). Like wtf dude? S&M thief? Who has "slaves" inside her prison? Why the hell does the government allow such thing?

More so then prison, think of it as Arkham Asylum from Batman. And more than a thief, focus on the other part of her description: "information broker". Notice how she knows everything about everyone? That is what is going on, she is both ultimately useful and ultimately a threat to the government. Since she is willing to be imprisoned, the government is willing to imprison her, however in order to make her willing, they have to keep her satisfied (hence the wine and servants, who want to be there); at the same time being imprisoned is why the government doesn't kill her (and probably she has some blackmail as well).

chesireneko said:
But the thing that actually pushed me (hard, on the back) is that people actually like (italic this, please) this show. I dont understand, because i can find other much better mystery animes, if not, psychological thriller anime, way better than this. I am in no way talking bad about the the ep's lovers or bashing ranpo kitan though, its just my way to express my thoughts.

Because it is funny. I want to see how over the top this show is, and this episode did not disappoint. We will see more of the Black Lizard, and even more bizarre people. As long as the show continues to ratchet things up, it will be worthwhile to watch.

Plus as you pointed out there are obvious things still not explained, which points towards the idea that all the "mysteries" we have had until now are merely parts of a greater mystery that will encompass everything that we have seen. Waiting to see how that will turn out.
Jul 25, 2015 9:51 AM
Jul 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Because it is funny. I want to see how over the top this show is, and this episode did not disappoint. We will see more of the Black Lizard, and even more bizarre people. As long as the show continues to ratchet things up, it will be worthwhile to watch.

Plus as you pointed out there are obvious things still not explained, which points towards the idea that all the "mysteries" we have had until now are merely parts of a greater mystery that will encompass everything that we have seen. Waiting to see how that will turn out.

I guess we have different sense of humour lol.

I thought this episode was kind of disappointing though. The plot twist was so predictable, even from ep 2. It was kind of clearer in ep 3 though. I knew that kagami is fishy! Cause if hes not fishy then ranpo kitan wouldnt get the "most mainstream movie cliche" award. And they (akechi) was using the same trick over. Manipulating the media to trick the culprit? I thought it was cool in ep 2, although i dont see (and not clear enough, or i am just too dumb to see) the direct effect of the media disclosure on the matter to the culprit, but in ep 4 i just knew that akechi was doing it to trick 20 face man. I thought we are supposed to solve the case together, not give so little details and just bam heres your murderer. I think thats the greatest mistake this mystery anime has.

Despite all those, i think its true that i am very much looking forward to finding out how and what will ranpo kitan turn out to be in the next episodes. (Am also secretly hoping for something epic regarding hanabishi's cut marks!) Thanks for the enlightenment by the way!
chesirenekoJul 25, 2015 11:21 AM
Jul 25, 2015 10:10 AM

Dec 2014
Kagami being Twenty Faces was pretty much a given.

3-minute shocking was yet again the highlight. Though sado-maso Black Lizard was a nice addition to the cast and I'd like to see her again.
Jul 25, 2015 11:36 AM

Dec 2008
Vindstot said:
That Kobayashi ass though..

Hashiba getting flustered and looking away was hilarious! He knows he wants it, but can't say it yet.

So, Black Lizard is generally a sadist, but turns into a masochist for Akechi only. That moment when she peed herself though.. Pretty disgusting.

Somehow, I wasn't really surprised to see Kagami being revealed as the Twenty Faces. The question is, why did he become that?

Above average episode. That fat MF should've gotten killed in a cruel manner, and I still hope it comes to pass before this show ends.

absolutely disgusting scene. i hate trap characters..
Jul 25, 2015 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
palladia said:
She didn't seem to contribute anything to the plot at all [ oh wait, who am I kidding, bewbs = plot amirite ] and that time could have been better spent on other things.

What makes you think she won't be relevant on the future?
Not everything has to be relevant to the immidiate plot, you know.

but I think there needs to be more emphasis on the crime-solving aspect.

What makes you think that?
If you've watched the show so far, you should've already noticed this DOESN'T and probably NEVER WILL have the "mystery solving" as the focus.
The mystery tag is only there because it has mystery elements. It's just like horror: It doesn't need to be scary, it just needs to have horror elements in the narrative to be considered horror.
Jul 25, 2015 3:19 PM

Dec 2014
Vindstot said:

this lol
Jul 25, 2015 5:25 PM

Mar 2009
What was with that S&M girl? That came out of nowhere.
Jul 25, 2015 6:08 PM

Apr 2010
Characters that aren't in the series enough are the best. Paper bag dude and masochist girl. Everyone else basically sucks. Kobayashi's friend is a total waste of space.

So this is meant to be "mystery" but it's not really. Gonna give this one more episode before deciding to drop or not.
Jul 25, 2015 6:19 PM
Oct 2012
chesireneko said:
I guess we have different sense of humour lol.

Without doubt. I have a very irrelevant and inappropriate sense of humor as countless people have informed me.

But in this case I think it is more a matter of expectations: that the Black Lizard would be obsessed with Akechi was a given, it's famous in Japan (and was made into a very campy 1968 movie where the Black Lizard was played by Japan's most famous transvestite), so I was wondering how this show would top everything that has been done before: self-asphyxiating herself to the point of losing bowel control did the trick.

chesireneko said:
I knew that kagami is fishy! Cause if hes not fishy then ranpo kitan wouldnt get the "most mainstream movie cliche" award.

Yeah, I think we will find out that everyone whose face has been revealed to Kobayashi has something hidden, so we will get the other detective, Hanabishi, and Habashi coming up in due order. The only minor surprise with Kagami was the timing, I had him pegged for later.

But ultimately this show shouldn't be about this episode or that episode, it should be about the payoff at the end of the final episode. That is what will make this show worthwhile or not. Otherwise the opening quote would be a "Chekhov's Gun" that is never shown again and that would be a grave disappointment.
Jul 25, 2015 9:25 PM
Jul 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
But ultimately this show shouldn't be about this episode or that episode, it should be about the payoff at the end of the final episode. That is what will make this show worthwhile or not. Otherwise the opening quote would be a "Chekhov's Gun" that is never shown again and that would be a grave disappointment.

I totally agree with you! I know i just cant rate the anime based on these crappy first 4 episodes, but nah. Lol.

I just hope ranpo kitan has a little of that chekhovs gun aspect though. *fingers crossed*
Jul 25, 2015 9:41 PM
Jul 2018
W H A T
Jul 26, 2015 2:27 AM

Jan 2015
Lol i love the masochist girl.
Yeah, i had the feeling that kagami was 20 faces.

This show is really weird, i like it.
Jul 26, 2015 3:23 AM

Jan 2013
there is def much more to 20 faces then it was shown this ep
if you look at the OP every character has their "20 faces" side
i hope the trap will do some murder :3
Jul 26, 2015 1:07 PM
May 2007
LOAD said:
I doubt kagami is the real twenty faces. looking at the OP, I guess twenty faces is the main baddie in this series. also, the guy with the mask in the OP was wearing diff clothes.

+1
What the real Twenty Faces looks like...
Jul 26, 2015 1:10 PM

Sep 2013
That ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Booty for days :<3
No wonder my man Hashiba is gay, look at this :O

Vindstot said:
Jul 26, 2015 4:02 PM

Apr 2014
I like this show. It's interesting.
Jul 27, 2015 2:16 AM

Oct 2010
Ok, this show has officially become so damn lame and predictable. The only highlight of this episode, was that chick in the prison.
Jul 27, 2015 2:07 PM

Mar 2010
This episode would have been really really good if the Lizard girl wasn't so outright disgusting. Such pandering... Gross. >_>

I love Hashiba and his unadmitted crush on Kobayashi. XD
Jul 27, 2015 2:31 PM

Jul 2009
That Black Lizard girl ... holy crap O_O That was uhm ... a little over the top, don't you think? >_<
Anyway plot is decently interesting. Twenty Faces, a killer who kills criminals who didn't get what they "deserved" ... I thought it was Kagami too XD Now I'm curious about what happened three years ago with him and Akechi ... hope this resolves nicely! :O
Jul 27, 2015 8:10 PM

Feb 2010
antonnn said:
Characters that aren't in the series enough are the best. Paper bag dude and masochist girl. Everyone else basically sucks. Kobayashi's friend is a total waste of space.

I couldn't agree more. Masochist chick was the BEST PART of this episode.
Jul 27, 2015 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
honestly hoping this is a one cour right now.
Jul 28, 2015 12:27 AM
Dec 2014
I REALLY want this show to be fantastic, because all of Edogawa Rampo's works are unique and so so good and I love me a good mystery.

But with each episode, I just feel more and more eh... about it. There's a lot in the show that simply makes me cringe and I constantly struggle to figure out just what the fuck is happening between the miniscule details (I've watched the scenes back about FOUR times now and STILL don't see the powder on Kagami's shoes, please help) and silly side characters/scenes (the doctor is like?? Why? Her parts are so loud and take you out of the experience of the episode). But honestly, after each episode there's always that lingering feeling that yeah, I do want to see where the writer's are going to take this show.

Plus the opening and ending themes? Good shit.
Jul 28, 2015 3:46 PM

Mar 2014
Corwen said:
This show lacks so much in terms of execution and the real atmosphere of how a mystery should be yet I just couldn't drop it lol. I

Same. That's pretty much how i see this series. Maybe if they made each investigation two episodes instead of one there would be more impact.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 29, 2015 4:24 AM

Jul 2007
StrawberryRain said:
Corwen said:

Same. That's pretty much how i see this series. Maybe if they made each investigation two episodes instead of one there would be more impact.

Please define "real mistery" then
As far as I see we have enough mystery elements.

Unless you equate mystery to "solving a case" - if so, then there are plenty of simpler works out ther ethat offer that.
Jul 30, 2015 6:41 AM

May 2015
Well, I enjoyed this episode a lot more. Still think the bit of comedy is ridiculous, like that autopsy. Sometimes I can't take this show serious. Kagami being Twenty Faces was sure something else. And that chick, crazy, lol.

Aug 1, 2015 10:21 AM
Jun 2013
Nice episode. Black Lizard and Kobayashi's ass are hot. For me Kobayashi's a girl now unless they show his weiner.
Aug 5, 2015 10:49 AM

Jul 2009
Black Lizard is insane lol, it was funny!
Hashiba really likes Kobayashi...
Aug 16, 2015 7:01 AM

May 2014
Good episode, a good plot twist at the end of the episode. Kagami, Kagami... He could fight btw, way too good :p
That random chick at the beginning of the episode was... Well.. Odd. But I hope she contributed to the story. How will the story progress now I wonder.
4/5
Oct 16, 2015 10:07 PM

Jul 2012
Like others have said, the cases are too short to get into them. It feels flat. The abstract/artsy scenes really bug me because I can't get into the cases.

At least the last part was interesting how the culprit was the superintendent!
Jan 19, 2016 11:36 AM

May 2012
Lol that woman in this episode sure was crazy :p pretty decent episode, let's see what's next though!
Mar 20, 2016 1:13 PM

Nov 2013
Wow that was really cheap and stupid. I hate all characters especially detective guy.
Sep 15, 2017 2:10 AM

Dec 2012
WTF! Why are you showing Kobayashi shaking his butt?
Hishibi suspect as fock looking at his butt.
Who is that? Dat oppai.
Dat ass.
Oh shit! She let it out! That's hot.
LMAO Dude just got out and he's back at it again.
Sakurai getting a gun pointed at his face. Deja vu.
I knew it was Kagami.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 15, 2019 10:47 PM

Dec 2013
I dislike when Kagami mentioned how many victims of that Twenty Faces incident and Kobayashi just smiled and asked for details. Another fanservice (⇀‸↼‶) Hashiba got flustered when he saw Kobayashi's ass I was like, wtf???

What I like on this episode is when Black Lizard appeared and as I mentioned in my previous comment that, the cases are very interesting. I got surprised at the end tho, didn't think it turn out that way!

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 11, 2019 9:47 PM

Jul 2016
Megaphy said:
End of episode reveal not effective. It was obvious from the beginning. Also, this kind of development feels kinda early?

I am assuming Kagami is another copycat
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Dec 2022
That scene with the crazy imprisoned woman pissing herself was like a fever dream. This anime just has one bizarre scene after another.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2015

326 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.