Forum Settings
Forums

Is pirating/illegally streaming anime wrong?

New
Do you think piracy hurts the anime market?
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2015 3:31 PM

Aug 2007
davinci12 said:
It still is stealing tho.

It isn't.

offmodel said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

The only thing that Steam did bad was make physical releases of games shitty.

And sell people on the idea that you should pay for beta testing (Early Access) and DRM that can take away your content at any time as well your ability to mod.
Drunk_Samurai said:

Either way if the anime industry wants to make a profit they'll need to make a system like that because more people want to buy digitally now.

They're already making record breaking profits, the issue is from what (merch, mega franchises and the shows that are able to move BDs). The industry in Japan isn't in bad shape, I've never said it was, but if people want more shows geared toward western audiences like in the past, and more original big name franchises like a Cowboy Bebop, The Big O, etc., they should really consider supporting it. I also didn't mean to knock CR by leaving them out earlier in terms of current streaming revenue, my point is that if you really want to support the industry via streaming, it's going to be with a paying sub and not free with ads (but free with ads are still better than nothing, for sure).

Drunk_Samurai said:

Also I would tell that to them since it's both a legal thing and a dictionary definition thing. Copying isn't taking.

It is still illegal and a civil offense, which people are being sued for every day, just not with anime lately.

Never said it isn't a crime. The point is they are two completely different things and crimes.

Forgetfulness said:
In my opinion, it's definitely wrong. You're not paying for something that someone else made and is specifically charging money for
That said, it didn't really stop me from pirating. I just didn't deny that I was doing something wrong

Right now though I have a CR subscription, so at least that's something. Well it's kinda just sitting there cause I've kinda been really inactive in watching anime so I hope that helps at least

I see nothing wrong with a person downloading something they never would have bought in the first place. The only issue is when somebody pirates something they would have bought.

gHostickles said:
It does hurt the market at least slightly. I think anime would be somewhat more successful in the west if it weren't for all those sites.

No it wouldn't. It would be even LESS popular/successful if they didn't exist.
Jul 12, 2015 3:35 PM

Jul 2011
When it comes to anime, I believe it does. We always hear that series can't get a second season because their sales weren't high enough, not enough budget etc etc. So every support they can get, will count. If it's like movies or music artists who are already rich, pirating isn't a big deal to them.
Jul 12, 2015 4:32 PM
Jul 2015
Well, the topic is called "is pirating wrong" and the poll is asking whether it hurts the market, which I think are two separate questions.

I'd say it's wrong because it's essentially stealing, simple as that. But if I decided to go pirate something, say just a single anime, it... doesn't actually hurt anything. But on the whole... well, how am I supposed to know? That's kinda complicated. I'd probably say people who ONLY pirate or illegally stream are hurting the industry, whereas people who do it as a last resort (can't find a place to buy it properly, I dunno) who wouldn't or couldn't have bought it... well, doesn't really make a difference, does it?

I tend not to pirate things or illegally stream, unless it's something I REALLY want to watch and can't get somewhere else.
Jul 12, 2015 5:16 PM

Sep 2013
Kind of but i dont have any legal means of watching anime and since im only 16 and dont really have alot of money i cant buy it either not only because it would be super hard to find and expensive but because the small amount of money i get is pumped into my gaming hobby.
Jul 12, 2015 5:25 PM

Jun 2007
While I don't feel like fighting the whole battle right now, I will say that illegal streaming is definitely wrong. It's the online equivalent of buying Chinatown bootleg DVDs. If you want to enjoy the anime industry's products without payment or permission, that's between you and whoever. But at the very least, don't let some shady third-party streaming site earn undeserved profits from the industry's work. There's nothing you can watch on bootleg streaming sites that you can't download instead (since bootleg streams are re-encodes of downloaded files), and the quality of downloads will inherently be better for the same reason.

offmodel said:
or even downloading shows that are abandoned (if you haven't seen The Big O, go pirate it right now).
Big O isn't technically abandoned, although why it's taking Sentai almost two years to even solicit releases of a bunch of shows that got subbed and/or dubbed by Bandai ages ago is beyond me. Same with Funimation's same-time Sunrise pickups other than Cowboy Bebop.
Jul 12, 2015 9:26 PM

Aug 2007
Forgetfulness said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I see nothing wrong with a person downloading something they never would have bought in the first place. The only issue is when somebody pirates something they would have bought.
In my opinion, whether or not the industry actually loses money doesn't change whether or not it is actually wrong. I'm almost certain there are laws that say you're not supposed to pirate stuff, and since torrenting breaks those laws, it is wrong.

Well, if there is a loophole in the law like if say pirating anime that is unlicensed in a region is ok or whatever, then in that case I wouldn't think it's wrong.

That's a bad argument. Just because something is against the law doesn't mean that the law is right. Copyright laws are a good idea in general but the way everything works is too much.

1307 said:
Well, the topic is called "is pirating wrong" and the poll is asking whether it hurts the market, which I think are two separate questions.

I'd say it's wrong because it's essentially stealing, simple as that. But if I decided to go pirate something, say just a single anime, it... doesn't actually hurt anything. But on the whole... well, how am I supposed to know? That's kinda complicated. I'd probably say people who ONLY pirate or illegally stream are hurting the industry, whereas people who do it as a last resort (can't find a place to buy it properly, I dunno) who wouldn't or couldn't have bought it... well, doesn't really make a difference, does it?

I tend not to pirate things or illegally stream, unless it's something I REALLY want to watch and can't get somewhere else.

I don't buy shit yet I don't harm the industry since I wouldn't have bought the products.
Jul 12, 2015 9:33 PM
Dec 2014
Its made for sale, not for free so of course yes, but it'd be even worse if it were licensed already. Though there are also some positive effects. but wrong is wrong!
Jul 12, 2015 10:10 PM

Aug 2007
Truemeabit said:
Its made for sale, not for free so of course yes, but it'd be even worse if it were licensed already. Though there are also some positive effects. but wrong is wrong!

Read my posts.
Jul 13, 2015 5:21 AM

Jan 2008
I think it's wrong. Does not stop me from doing it though.
Jul 13, 2015 5:59 AM

Mar 2015
Well in a way piracy helps, since it gives publicity, especially when some shows might not be accessible otherwise. Personally, I download, but don't go to unethical streaming and manga hosting sites. Pirating is one thing, profiteering off others' work is another.
Jul 13, 2015 7:15 AM

Mar 2010
I think it is wrong to pirate anime because it is stealing. But is it hurting the anime industry? Yes and no, since some people buy them if they liked the anime why some people leech everything and don't pay a dime. But it makes it easier to reach people outside of Japan so it is kind of a win but still it is not.

But I pirate it and watch it and if I like it, I buy it. But I am a materialist so I buy games and games and I want to keep them visible in my shelf. So I want to have the good anime I watch, so I try to help as much as I can.
Jul 13, 2015 8:34 AM
Feb 2014
"Is pirating/illegally streaming anime wrong?"
It's 100% right -.-
Jul 13, 2015 9:29 AM

Oct 2014
Course it's fucking wrong, animators in Japan make 5 fucking dollars a day and then you just watch the shit for free. Pretty disgusting tbh.

Crunchyroll is the best solution if you don't want to spend a shit ton on BD'S
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2015 9:36 AM

Mar 2014
Of course it's wrong, you're basically taking money out of the studios' pockets.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2015 9:42 AM

May 2014
I do feel bad about streaming/downloading, especially since it's a dream of mine to hopefully work in the industry. But for now, I do what I can outside of actually watching the series as it's being aired since I can't do that. As in, if I enjoy the series a lot I try to import the blu-ray/dvd and add it to my collection, or buy some other kind of merchandise like figurines or something. And as people are saying, I do also believe streaming helps the exposure of anime. You can't deny that anime became as popular as it is now from streaming. And because of it's popularity spawned so many international opportunities to make money outside of the actual broadcast itself.
Jul 13, 2015 12:30 PM
Jun 2015
Living outside US there's not much options to stream it legally. No Hulu, Netflix, Funimation for european folk and Crunchyroll is limited too but I just try to appreciate what I have :c since using vpn or unblocker on these sites is illegal aswel... I used to pirate stuff but it eventually occured to me it's not okay and it's a greedy of me.
But then I don't think there's much difference between watching legally or pirating in terms of helping the industry unless you buy bds or dvd but it just feels better. I wish I could buy blu ray disks and such but it happens my favorite anime are one of the most expensive. 120 $ for 12 episodes of madoka, come on... thats half the minimum monthly wage in my country -_-''
Jul 13, 2015 2:05 PM

Aug 2007
SayaViking said:
I think it is wrong to pirate anime because it is stealing. But is it hurting the anime industry? Yes and no, since some people buy them if they liked the anime why some people leech everything and don't pay a dime. But it makes it easier to reach people outside of Japan so it is kind of a win but still it is not.

But I pirate it and watch it and if I like it, I buy it. But I am a materialist so I buy games and games and I want to keep them visible in my shelf. So I want to have the good anime I watch, so I try to help as much as I can.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal Stealing is taking. Copyright infringement is copying.

SwatKat1990 said:
Of course it's wrong, you're basically taking money out of the studios' pockets.

Tell me how I'm taking money out of anybody's pocket if I never intended on buying the product in the first place.
Jul 13, 2015 2:08 PM
Mar 2013
Nope.

Supporting Crunchyroll and other N. American exclusive sites is killing anime since other countries can't license them.
Jul 13, 2015 3:55 PM

Aug 2013
no not really
huh
Jul 13, 2015 10:15 PM

Jun 2007
MCsq2 said:
No, it does not. I think that all this pirating bs actually helps, rather than hurts, the industry. As you said, it allows people to acknowledge the existence of something in addition to being able to try it out themselves, for free. That will then lead to people buying the actual thing, as a way of support (or any other reason really).
This feels like Step 3: Profit reasoning. People who're exposed to anime or other media via piracy are going to be spending their time on torrent sites, bootleg streaming sites, and other places (like this very forum!) where the prevailing culture promotes a pro-piracy, anti-industry mentality. With legal consequences being highly unlikely, and no one to tell them, "hey, you should actually buy this stuff or watch legal streams," how do people make that transition to buying the actual thing as a way of support? Plenty of the younger "digital native" viewers are scarcely aware that a legitimate industry exists, because they don't have to be.

shinnlorankira said:

Plus you have to put up with the fact official subtitles are usually terrible. If not in terms of translation quality, then in the fact they use hideous font and colors. Subtitles used in official releases are holdovers from other shows released in English and are not intended to be the primary way to view material. Fansubber subs are by far more pleasing on the eyes.
I agree that official subs can have their shortcomings, but I also find it suspicious that the fandom definition of "hideous" or "eyecancer" happens to be "whatever the industry happens to use." Nobody blinks an eye when fansubbers use white text with black outlines, yet whenever anyone encounters a Funimation stream rip featuring white text with black outlines, they cry to the heavens about "awful fonts" and such.

shinnlorankira said:
Again, is piracy wrong because it's illegal or because it doesn't offer compensation to the creators, because libraries exist, as do used book stores. Neither offer compensation to the creators.
Libraries go through legal channels to obtain their copies and license them for lending purposes. Used media sellers don't directly contribute, true, but somebody had to make an initial legitimate purchase for something to wind up at a reseller, and that somebody gives up their rights to experience that media when they sell it. As opposed to somebody uploading something to 100,000 of their not-so-closest friends all around the world, all of whom can experience and reshare that media in perpetuity. I know it's a long watch, but IIRC this panel explains secondary-sale considerations and other pertinent industry info, albeit from the pre-legal-streaming era. (At least I think it does; I was there, though it has been almost 8 years now :( )

Drunk_Samurai said:
Tell me how I'm taking money out of anybody's pocket if I never intended on buying the product in the first place.
So do you make a habit of sneaking into concerts, and if you get caught, do you defend yourself with, "Well I didn't do anything wrong, I wasn't going to pay for a ticket anyway"?

JD4211 said:
Supporting Crunchyroll and other N. American exclusive sites is killing anime since other countries can't license them.
So nobody should support anything, and somehow everybody wins? It's not the US and Canada's fault that the EU can't get their act together.
Jul 13, 2015 10:16 PM

Jun 2014
Yes but only to a small degree.
Jul 14, 2015 12:51 AM
Jun 2015
I live in poland and there's a lot of anime available on crunchyroll for free and there's even more when you subscribe. Not sure but U.S might still get more from subscription but life's never fair I guess
If I can't afford it, it's not licensed in my country etc I have no right to watch it. Just like I buy cheap food and 2nd hand clothes my anime's gonna be the same. Pirating is just greed in this situation since there's so much free and cheap content available but to each it's own I guess.
Jul 14, 2015 1:20 AM

Aug 2013
It isn't wrong once you don't live in America because of region locks when it comes to anime streaming sites. Piracy is also a necessary to watch shows that were never licensed. If you like a show and have the money then you should buy it but spending money on anime you don't like is wasting money.

I read somewhere online that otakus are the main financial driving force of the anime industry through Bluray and DVD sales so piracy in the west AND CHINA (weebs always attack the west but China pirates a lot as well) doesn't seriously damage the anime industry. The way I see it companies do lose money from piracy but not close to the extent to bankrupt those Japanese anime companies. Only dubbing companies are seriously affected by piracy.
DrGeroCreationJul 14, 2015 1:24 AM
Jul 14, 2015 5:03 PM

Aug 2007
Zalis said:
I agree that official subs can have their shortcomings, but I also find it suspicious that the fandom definition of "hideous" or "eyecancer" happens to be "whatever the industry happens to use." Nobody blinks an eye when fansubbers use white text with black outlines, yet whenever anyone encounters a Funimation stream rip featuring white text with black outlines, they cry to the heavens about "awful fonts" and such.

So do you make a habit of sneaking into concerts, and if you get caught, do you defend yourself with, "Well I didn't do anything wrong, I wasn't going to pay for a ticket anyway"?

The only font I ever complained about was when (assuming) Funimation used a shitty italized font for the intro to One Piece. I'm pretty sure it was Funimation since I had to download the episodes that fansubbers didn't do and I believe that wasn't from HS. I think it was a direct rip of Funimation's simulcast.

Also I don't go to concerts so I don't make a habit out of that.

KiryuuMoeka said:
I live in poland and there's a lot of anime available on crunchyroll for free and there's even more when you subscribe. Not sure but U.S might still get more from subscription but life's never fair I guess
If I can't afford it, it's not licensed in my country etc I have no right to watch it. Just like I buy cheap food and 2nd hand clothes my anime's gonna be the same. Pirating is just greed in this situation since there's so much free and cheap content available but to each it's own I guess.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pirating an unlicensed anime in a country that doesn't have it.
Jul 14, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2015
I am of the belief that if there wasn't an ability to stream or download them illegally, then perhaps anime wouldn't be as popular as it is currently.

Personally, I only stream it. I don't plan on buying, simply because I do not have the money to spend on it.
Jul 14, 2015 11:32 PM

Mar 2015
I don't think it's wrong.

It was aired on TV, other than ads floating around generating money from views, it's not going to hurt the market in any way.

People who liked these anime, will tend to buy the BDs. So they can take it as free advertising to people. I myself imported the BDs from Japan, when I really like the anime.

Jul 15, 2015 2:12 AM

Jan 2015
Pirating is a form of stealing
Of course its universally bad
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 15, 2015 2:23 AM

Aug 2008
Piracy do hurt the anime market only in US/Japan. Most countries don't have anime licensing so most people don't have a choice but to pirate and dream of going to Japan.
*badass mode activated*
Jul 15, 2015 2:29 AM

Jan 2015
-Lighto- said:
dream of going to Japan.
lol as if I can understand Nihongo
Jul 15, 2015 2:35 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, but we all do it anyway...
Jul 15, 2015 2:45 AM

May 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:

That's a bad argument. Just because something is against the law doesn't mean that the law is right. Copyright laws are a good idea in general but the way everything works is too much.

No it's a good argument, laws are made to maintain social order, morality in itself is subjective so the only thing we have to go off is laws. Until the law changes, it is wrong to break the law.. pushing for change is a completely different story.

If it weren't for laws, then things like murder, theft, assault, slander, and what ever crime we wanted to commit would be ok. Since there is nothing to tell us that these things are morally wrong besides opinion.

I don't buy shit yet I don't harm the industry since I wouldn't have bought the products.
Yet you wouldn't have watched it either, the problem isn't that you wouldn't have paid for it, it's that you watched it and still didn't pay for it.

Let's put it into another perspective, I walk into a donut shop and eat a donut and walk out without paying? Is this a crime? Yes correct?
In your point of view, why though, since there are plenty of other donuts for costumers and if I didn't eat the donut I wouldn't have paid for it.
Donuts are pretty cheap to make, it's easy to make copies of them and one donut doesn't really hurt the donut shop that much.... but it's still theft

Theft of intellectual property aka copyright infringment is still theft, the only difference is that one is "intellectual property" and the other is "physical property"

It's not like walking to a donut shop and looking at the donuts, that would be akin to watching a trailer for a show. You consumed the actual product which took resources to make in both cases, and you didn't pay your part.

Sites like crunchyroll and funamation are there to help you, not only do they provide a free platform for you BUT they all pay your dues for you. They pay the price for you to watch the shows. Subscriptions help you get the shows faster, by you paying part of the due.

Damn crunchyroll even offers free 30 day trials as a premium member that you could continue to use as long as you have people to give them to you.
grandy_UiD said:

I'm not going to pretend I don't but I do rarely do it, for the most part I go through the subscription based sites aka funamation, crunchyroll, hulu, netflix since they do pay the industry to provide us with the content. It's very rare that I can't find the shows I want through one of those sites.
Jul 15, 2015 2:52 AM

Feb 2013
Working_Designs said:
In my opinion, pirating Anime that's licensed in North America is wrong.

I purchase all the licensed Anime I'm interested in on DVD.

Because everyone is from North America.
Awesome Forum Set by @SenpieX
Jul 15, 2015 3:03 AM

Apr 2014
If you don't buy the japanese versions say goodbye to second series's ect D:
Jul 15, 2015 4:01 AM

Jun 2014
grandy_UiD said:
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 15, 2015 4:21 AM

Jul 2015
If i can't download anime for free,i wouldn't watch it
Jul 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Jan 2015
why pirate if our TV Stations air gr8 animu like Noein, Aria, Rurouni Kenshin, Haruhi, Neon Genesi.....
oh w8
I thought its still 2009
Jul 15, 2015 4:56 AM
Jul 2015
through piracy an anime or manga gets free advertisement
illegal anime sites can actually be a gauge, to know how popular a series is
outside japan.

the down side is majority of the people will not buy DvD of that
anime coz majority already have the illegal copy of it. but some fans would most likely but
merchandise like figurines and costumes of a particular anime they like.
Jul 15, 2015 5:01 AM

Oct 2014
Working_Designs said:

your logic:

WE'RE ALL LIVING IN AMIERCA!

...or MAYBE not?

Supporting the original creators is already harder to do with licensed versions of the DVDs/BDs, same if you import directly from Japan, since there are shipping costs. Now if one has to pay for shipping costs (importing DVDs/BDs from NA to EU) AND redirect some of the spent money to the U.S. publishers? Now that's just a waste and doesn't help supporting the original creators, if more than half of the money goes to "others".

Also DVDs/BDs are expensive as hell for a college/university student, even if they are licensed in EU too. At most I can occassionally buy a few manga volumes.
Grey-ZoneJul 15, 2015 5:10 AM
Jul 15, 2015 6:01 AM

Jan 2015
Of course, it is! But who cares? People stream anime illegally anyway.
But, some people, after streaming the anime, buy the Dvd if they like it. It's not like dvds come out for every new episode that airs every week.
So, you either watch on sites like crunchyroll or stream on other sites, which is illegal but is okay.
Jul 15, 2015 9:40 AM

Aug 2007
Deus-Vult said:
Pirating is a form of stealing
Of course its universally bad

"http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal Stealing is taking. Copyright infringement is copying."

KamiCity said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

No it's a good argument, laws are made to maintain social order, morality in itself is subjective so the only thing we have to go off is laws. Until the law changes, it is wrong to break the law.. pushing for change is a completely different story.

If it weren't for laws, then things like murder, theft, assault, slander, and what ever crime we wanted to commit would be ok. Since there is nothing to tell us that these things are morally wrong besides opinion.

Yet you wouldn't have watched it either, the problem isn't that you wouldn't have paid for it, it's that you watched it and still didn't pay for it.

Let's put it into another perspective, I walk into a donut shop and eat a donut and walk out without paying? Is this a crime? Yes correct?
In your point of view, why though, since there are plenty of other donuts for costumers and if I didn't eat the donut I wouldn't have paid for it.
Donuts are pretty cheap to make, it's easy to make copies of them and one donut doesn't really hurt the donut shop that much.... but it's still theft

Theft of intellectual property aka copyright infringment is still theft, the only difference is that one is "intellectual property" and the other is "physical property"

It's not like walking to a donut shop and looking at the donuts, that would be akin to watching a trailer for a show. You consumed the actual product which took resources to make in both cases, and you didn't pay your part.

Sites like crunchyroll and funamation are there to help you, not only do they provide a free platform for you BUT they all pay your dues for you. They pay the price for you to watch the shows. Subscriptions help you get the shows faster, by you paying part of the due.

Damn crunchyroll even offers free 30 day trials as a premium member that you could continue to use as long as you have people to give them to you.
grandy_UiD said:

I'm not going to pretend I don't but I do rarely do it, for the most part I go through the subscription based sites aka funamation, crunchyroll, hulu, netflix since they do pay the industry to provide us with the content. It's very rare that I can't find the shows I want through one of those sites.

It was against the law to help slaves in America and Jews in Nazi Germany. Nice fucking logic. A law is not inherently right. Also no it is not theft. I already posted the definition of theft in this thread. Actually physically stealing something causes shrink and the only way a person who downloads something is a lost sale is if they would have bought the product in the first place. The original copy had already been sold anyway even technically TV rips due to advertisements. A person who would not have bought the product in the first place is literally costs a company $0 due to never even planning on it.

Lancehot said:
NinthDay said:

Because everyone is from North America.

With a VPN, you can be. Well, until you go to Funi's or TAN's site & discover they block VPNs. Hulu doesn't, though, but you have to sit through the unbearable shitness that is US advertising. Crunchy doesn't either, I don't think, though I've found it to be a bit hit or miss whether I'll get access to the US only stuff or not.

How the fuck would they even know if somebody is running a VPN?
Jul 16, 2015 12:14 PM

May 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:

It was against the law to help slaves in America and Jews in Nazi Germany. Nice fucking logic. A law is not inherently right. Also no it is not theft. I already posted the definition of theft in this thread. Actually physically stealing something causes shrink and the only way a person who downloads something is a lost sale is if they would have bought the product in the first place.

1. Did you just compare not being allowed to copy or watch someone else's material, to slavery or Nazi germany? Do you know what "Appealing to extremes" is? Don't try to defend breaking the law by mentioning something so irrelevant.
2. What is so inherently wrong about not being allowed to copy/steal someone elses work? Copyright is there to protect the creator, you have no right to the creators work. Are people dying because they're not allowed to view those copies?
3. Also yes it was against the law, it was wrong to break the law, that's why we fought wars to change slavery and against the nazi's. Take a ethics course and learn about Kant and Mill and you'll start understanding why it's so hard to see what's "right" and "wrong" when it comes to almost everything about morality.

I'm not saying the law doesn't need work, it does and a whole lot of work, but that doesn't change the fact that it's there to protect the creator.

It's called Theft of intellectual property for a reason. It doesn't matter how much you argue against it, it's still theft. It's still defined as theft by the law. Take any law course dealing with business and intellectual property and you'd know that. Same reason why it's against the law to "copy" someone elses inventions, aka patents. Same reason it's against the law to "copy" the look of another business aka trademake (you can't open a business called mcdonalds and sell burgers). Same reason it's against the law to plagiarize.
It's still stealing someone elses work for your own benefit/entertainment.

The original copy had already been sold anyway even technically TV rips due to advertisements. A person who would not have bought the product in the first place is literally costs a company $0 due to never even planning on it.
So what happens when no one buys? What happens when only one person buys and uploads it and everyone else decides they are entitled to it and don't have to pay? Hey it's ok they "would have never bought it anyway" it's ok for the creators not to make money, and not continue to create.

In the end it doesn't really matter though, it's not like it's so heavily enforced anyway, and they'll very rarely go against us the viewers instead of the uploaders.
Jul 16, 2015 12:20 PM

Jun 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Working_Designs said:

your logic:

WE'RE ALL LIVING IN AMIERCA!

...or MAYBE not?

Supporting the original creators is already harder to do with licensed versions of the DVDs/BDs, same if you import directly from Japan, since there are shipping costs. Now if one has to pay for shipping costs (importing DVDs/BDs from NA to EU) AND redirect some of the spent money to the U.S. publishers? Now that's just a waste and doesn't help supporting the original creators, if more than half of the money goes to "others".

Also DVDs/BDs are expensive as hell for a college/university student, even if they are licensed in EU too. At most I can occassionally buy a few manga volumes.

I'm not trying to help the original creators, I'm trying to help licensors in my country so that they can license more Anime in my region.

Jul 16, 2015 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
No,at least,if you pirate good anime.
Jul 16, 2015 12:59 PM

Feb 2014
I don't care if it's wrong. I'll continue to watch anime for free.
Jul 16, 2015 1:36 PM

Jan 2015
Of course it's wrong, but it doesn't stop people (including myself) from doing it.

I don't have money to buy this shit, so I stream it.
Jul 16, 2015 4:48 PM

Aug 2007
KamiCity said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

It was against the law to help slaves in America and Jews in Nazi Germany. Nice fucking logic. A law is not inherently right. Also no it is not theft. I already posted the definition of theft in this thread. Actually physically stealing something causes shrink and the only way a person who downloads something is a lost sale is if they would have bought the product in the first place.

1. Did you just compare not being allowed to copy or watch someone else's material, to slavery or Nazi germany? Do you know what "Appealing to extremes" is? Don't try to defend breaking the law by mentioning something so irrelevant.
2. What is so inherently wrong about not being allowed to copy/steal someone elses work? Copyright is there to protect the creator, you have no right to the creators work. Are people dying because they're not allowed to view those copies?
3. Also yes it was against the law, it was wrong to break the law, that's why we fought wars to change slavery and against the nazi's. Take a ethics course and learn about Kant and Mill and you'll start understanding why it's so hard to see what's "right" and "wrong" when it comes to almost everything about morality.

I'm not saying the law doesn't need work, it does and a whole lot of work, but that doesn't change the fact that it's there to protect the creator.

It's called Theft of intellectual property for a reason. It doesn't matter how much you argue against it, it's still theft. It's still defined as theft by the law. Take any law course dealing with business and intellectual property and you'd know that. Same reason why it's against the law to "copy" someone elses inventions, aka patents. Same reason it's against the law to "copy" the look of another business aka trademake (you can't open a business called mcdonalds and sell burgers). Same reason it's against the law to plagiarize.
It's still stealing someone elses work for your own benefit/entertainment.

The original copy had already been sold anyway even technically TV rips due to advertisements. A person who would not have bought the product in the first place is literally costs a company $0 due to never even planning on it.
So what happens when no one buys? What happens when only one person buys and uploads it and everyone else decides they are entitled to it and don't have to pay? Hey it's ok they "would have never bought it anyway" it's ok for the creators not to make money, and not continue to create.

In the end it doesn't really matter though, it's not like it's so heavily enforced anyway, and they'll very rarely go against us the viewers instead of the uploaders.

You're the one who claimed that a law is inherently right. The problem with copyright laws is you can get the RIAA charging 900,000+ per song when the song isn't even worth that much especially on shit like iTunes. They should be charging the amount of each pirated file. Also once again you're so wrong that a person who says the earth is flat is right.

"http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal Stealing is taking. Copyright infringement is copying."

NO court will call copyright infringement theft due to the fact that they are actually treated differently in court. Copyright infringement as in downloading is civil while actually physically stealing something would be a criminal act. Hell even bootlegging is something that would be a criminal act instead. They wouldn't go to court for civil. Also many people pirate something then later buy it. I already defined what a lost sale is. My definition of lost sale is LITERALLY the only one. The company wouldn't have made any money off some kid who had no intention of buying Naruto and just wanted to watch it.
Jul 16, 2015 4:52 PM
Jan 2015
it is but people still do it
Jul 16, 2015 5:05 PM

Jul 2015
Maybe but I don't give a fuck
Jul 16, 2015 5:23 PM
Apr 2010
lol @ pirating anime and making excuses for it. Either you download shit for free or you don't. Trying to justify it just makes you look bad. Don't say shit like "oh I can't afford it so I download". If you can afford to build a pc, then you're willing to save up to buy the anime you want.
NiN10d0hJul 16, 2015 5:27 PM
Jul 16, 2015 6:04 PM

Feb 2015
Music, apps, movies are all pirated. Anime is no exception.
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

28 by LenRea »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
26 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.