Forum Settings
Forums

Is pirating/illegally streaming anime wrong?

New
Do you think piracy hurts the anime market?
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]
Feb 11, 2017 12:36 AM

Nov 2013
HikariJake said:
1 - I'd be shocked if there were 200 million people around the world who even watch anime enough to need to buy a Crunchyroll subscription.
ublock origin fixes KissAnime's ad problem. There are other sites, anyway.
2 - People have priorities other than anime and don't make a lot of money. They need to save every last penny.
3 - 480p for modern animation is bad, I'm sorry. Nobody is entitled to anything, no shit.

1 - wtf are you even talking about? I'm losing my shit over here. You said that everyone uses adblock these days, and I've proven to you that (if I'm being really generous) maybe 20% of internet users use adblock. IS IT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND? Wtf was that last point you made up.
Regarding the second part, that was my point, you genius. There is a way, but it's even more obscure than adblock in general, so EVEN LESS people can get around those unsafe ads. Also, Kissanime is the biggest illegal streaming site by far, so you don't get to bring up "there are other sites" as a counterargument. We're talking about the general morality of pirating anime, based on its consequences. We're not talking about the specific ways in which YOU could pirate.

2 - Yeah lol. At a tiime when the biggest entertainment industry charges 60 dollars for every new game and still thrives, you have the nerve to suggest that fans can't afford 60 dollars a year for Crunchy. If you care even the slightest bit, you pay. If you don't care (aka you're morally wrong), you don't pay.

3 - Wtf. 95% of modern animation is 720p. You're talking as if we're going from 4k to 240p.

Stealing from a child is wrong. Stealing from an independent artist is reason to feel guilty. Stealing from a corporation, isn't all that bad. It's certainly justifiable, and there's a reason everybody does it-- because it doesn't actually matter all that much.

Holy mental gymnastics. You are stealing (Oh, I'm sorry, you're infringing copyright) from the hard-working people with families that make up corporations.

When the anime industry is truly going down the shitter in terms of sales and production value, then you'd have a point. Anime is a huge industry though, and I don't see illegal streaming, which has always been around since the late 90's, killing the industry. I don't. So there's no reason to feel it's immoral, especially if you have a Crunchy subscription or buy DVDs.

If you cared even the slightest bit, you'd know that TV revenue for anime is plummeting, BD/DVD revenue is steadily decreasing, and producers now have to rely on internet-related and/or foreign income, which is obviously on the rise, especially on the asian side, but on our side too, given the recent announcement of 1 million subs by Crunchy.

You'd have to be in denial to avoid noticing how many new anime are co-produced with the west, from the "netflix exclusives" like LWA and that new cyberpunk anime that's yet to come out, to stuff like FLCL 2, Funimation titles like Dimension W etc
Hell, Crunchy is now sitting at the production table of every anime from Kadokawa, thanks to a recent agreement.
You just need to do the math to notice that Crunchyroll by itself gives AT LEAST 2.5 million dollars back to japanese producers every month. That's enough to fund 3 new anime per season.

What is and isn't moral is highly subjective when it comes down to it, and if illegally streaming anime is immoral, it is nothing you'd be labelled as a bad person over. That's why I don't even consider it immoral, it's so minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, don't worry, I am labeling you as a bad person. Of course your contribution (or lack thereof) is minuscule, but there are millions of douchebags like you running around, and that's NOT minuscule. That's how morality works.
Lollo36Feb 11, 2017 12:43 AM
Feb 11, 2017 12:39 AM

Jun 2008
We pirates are just misunderstood!

We don't mean to harm anyone....

We just don't want to pay for shit!
Feb 11, 2017 8:42 AM

Aug 2007
Tylaen said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

No, you're just trolling. You're the one who is trying to word cleave by strongarming your own definition into what it actually means.
Calling a dissenting opinion trolling? New low Olympics.

On the contrary, I feel like you're strong-arming the definition to the point of brittle inflexibility, insisting that getting your hands on something, not within your rights has nothing to do with stealing. Your bullheadedness won't really make me less bullheaded.

No it is because you don't understand actual definitions of words. Both legally definition and dictionary definition piracy has only ever been copyright infringement.

Lollo36 said:
HikariJake said:
1 - I'd be shocked if there were 200 million people around the world who even watch anime enough to need to buy a Crunchyroll subscription.
2 - People have priorities other than anime and don't make a lot of money. They need to save every last penny.
3 - 480p for modern animation is bad, I'm sorry. Nobody is entitled to anything, no shit.

1 - wtf are you even talking about? I'm losing my shit over here. You said that everyone uses adblock these days, and I've proven to you that (if I'm being really generous) maybe 20% of internet users use adblock. IS IT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND? Wtf was that last point you made up.
Regarding the second part, that was my point, you genius. There is a way, but it's even more obscure than adblock in general, so EVEN LESS people can get around those unsafe ads. Also, Kissanime is the biggest illegal streaming site by far, so you don't get to bring up "there are other sites" as a counterargument. We're talking about the general morality of pirating anime, based on its consequences. We're not talking about the specific ways in which YOU could pirate.

2 - Yeah lol. At a tiime when the biggest entertainment industry charges 60 dollars for every new game and still thrives, you have the nerve to suggest that fans can't afford 60 dollars a year for Crunchy. If you care even the slightest bit, you pay. If you don't care (aka you're morally wrong), you don't pay.

3 - Wtf. 95% of modern animation is 720p. You're talking as if we're going from 4k to 240p.

Stealing from a child is wrong. Stealing from an independent artist is reason to feel guilty. Stealing from a corporation, isn't all that bad. It's certainly justifiable, and there's a reason everybody does it-- because it doesn't actually matter all that much.

Holy mental gymnastics. You are stealing (Oh, I'm sorry, you're infringing copyright) from the hard-working people with families that make up corporations.

When the anime industry is truly going down the shitter in terms of sales and production value, then you'd have a point. Anime is a huge industry though, and I don't see illegal streaming, which has always been around since the late 90's, killing the industry. I don't. So there's no reason to feel it's immoral, especially if you have a Crunchy subscription or buy DVDs.

If you cared even the slightest bit, you'd know that TV revenue for anime is plummeting, BD/DVD revenue is steadily decreasing, and producers now have to rely on internet-related and/or foreign income, which is obviously on the rise, especially on the asian side, but on our side too, given the recent announcement of 1 million subs by Crunchy.

You'd have to be in denial to avoid noticing how many new anime are co-produced with the west, from the "netflix exclusives" like LWA and that new cyberpunk anime that's yet to come out, to stuff like FLCL 2, Funimation titles like Dimension W etc
Hell, Crunchy is now sitting at the production table of every anime from Kadokawa, thanks to a recent agreement.
You just need to do the math to notice that Crunchyroll by itself gives AT LEAST 2.5 million dollars back to japanese producers every month. That's enough to fund 3 new anime per season.

What is and isn't moral is highly subjective when it comes down to it, and if illegally streaming anime is immoral, it is nothing you'd be labelled as a bad person over. That's why I don't even consider it immoral, it's so minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, don't worry, I am labeling you as a bad person. Of course your contribution (or lack thereof) is minuscule, but there are millions of douchebags like you running around, and that's NOT minuscule. That's how morality works.

You clearly don't know how it works. Most people who pirate something never would have bought the product in the first place. They are not lost sales because there would have been no sale in the first place. Also you're going to have to prove that people who pirate are morally wrong now.
Feb 11, 2017 9:19 AM

Apr 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tylaen said:
Calling a dissenting opinion trolling? New low Olympics.

On the contrary, I feel like you're strong-arming the definition to the point of brittle inflexibility, insisting that getting your hands on something, not within your rights has nothing to do with stealing. Your bullheadedness won't really make me less bullheaded.

No it is because you don't understand actual definitions of words. Both legally definition and dictionary definition piracy has only ever been copyright infringement.

With how you conduct your arguments, I think you yourself might not be capable of understanding that, that I was never clinging to the dictionary to the letter. Not that I'd expect anything less, from someone incapable of understanding the links between the two similar concepts, yet chooses to reiterate the same argument in the hopes that I'll somehow understand it this time.
TylaenFeb 11, 2017 9:28 AM
Feb 11, 2017 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
JustALEX said:
We pirates are just misunderstood!

We don't mean to harm anyone....

We just don't want to pay for shit!

That's not my point. I just don't think it makes anyone a bad person. Of course it's better to pay for anime, but if you can't then it's nothing to look down on anyone over.

Now... onto replying to this angry rant because I like wasting time...

Lollo36 said:
HikariJake said:

Calm the hell down, dude. What I was saying is that I find it hard to believe that even 20% of the internet watches anime. So the number of anime watchers that use Adblock and don't give illegal streamers any money could be theoretically high, but none of us could truly know so take that with a grain of salt as I'm sure you would have regardless.
The last point I brought up is a way to disable ads on KissAnime. It's an alternative to Adblock.

Yes we are talking about other ways to pirate anime. There are alternatives, "you genius". There are sites like AnimeHere, GoGoAnime, AnimeFreak etc. Lots of people use other sites than KissAnime and therefore even if they have a basic adblocker they won't have to see ads and give those sites money.

Crunchy is $84 a year, not $60. If you're a high school/college student, like most anime fans are, that's too much, especially if you go out on dates and have to pay for that, buy video games as you mentioned, or other many hobbies.
You're right though, giving $6.95 a month to Crunchy is the least someone could do, and I mean that literally, you're giving so little to the animatiors in Japan that it might as well be nothing (how much of that $84 do you think Crunchy keeps for themselves, and how much do they give to each studio? If you know, I'm genuinely curious because I'm thinking that they don't give much of that money to the producers in Japan).

There's no point in arguing this, it's subjective. Crunchy's free streams look bad, imho. And if you don't use Adblock, which, according to you, most people don't, then you are drowned in ads on Crunchy's free service which is ridiculous and that alone is reason enough to use alternative sources or install an adblocker.

Holy IDGAF because if an animator in Japan has a family then they are in the wrong job. Everyone knows how little animators are paid. We are not responsible for them.

I do care, and that's why I know that you're wrong. Friggin Love Live Sunshine sold 60000 BDs... for one volume. Recently, Yuri on Ice: 40000. Again, Love Live: 30000. That's a lot for anime BD standards, and these kinds of shows are smash hits (Love Live Sunshine isn't even on Crunchy so how many people do you think used KissAnime to watch it? I sure did).

That's how the modern world works. People outsource their jobs to foreign countries. That's what the US has been doing for decades. Japan was a late bloomer and finally decided that maybe it'd be profitable to market to countries other than Japan.
And it's been profitable, because enough anime fans buy their products, are subscribed to services like Funi and Crunchy.
The number of illegal streamers does not hurt the anime industry, it's thriving now more than ever and we get insanely beautiful, high budget series because of it.

Source? Meh, I'll just take your word on it because it still helps my point: that's great. So how does illegal streaming hurt the industry when Crunchy is doing that well? How many people do you think love anime so much who got into it from KissAnime that decide to support the industry and subscribe to Crunchyroll? I sure did. I started on illegal sites and moved to Crunchy. These illegal sites help flourish one's love for anime by giving them a huge library to watch from without having to pay a single penny, and it made me realize: I love anime. Anime is awesome. I want to support the industry! So I buy DVDs, BDs, and have a sub to Crunchy. This is how tons of anime fans get started, and I'm sure you were the same way, you hypocritical immoral piece of shit.

And I label you as a pretentious jackass. You do not have the moral high ground because you look down on others who watch anime for free.
You have no idea what any of us do with our lives outside of anime. Perhaps we have families to look after. Perhaps we are donating to charities. Perhaps we are overworked with jobs. We couldn't be fucked with whether some twat on MAL thinks we're a bad person over watching anime on high quality 'illegal' sites.
removed-userFeb 11, 2017 10:33 AM
Feb 11, 2017 10:31 AM

Aug 2007
Tylaen said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

With how you conduct your arguments, I think you yourself might not be capable of understanding that, that I was never clinging to the dictionary to the letter. Not that I'd expect anything less, from someone incapable of understanding the links between the two similar concepts, yet chooses to reiterate the same argument in the hopes that I'll somehow understand it this time.

No the issue is you are falsely trying to put your own definition on an action. They may be similar but they are not the same thing at all. You can call it "theft" all you want but you'd just be flat out wrong. This is a case where an opinion can be wrong because the actual facts of the matter say otherwise.
Feb 11, 2017 11:20 AM

Apr 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tylaen said:

No the issue is you are falsely trying to put your own definition on an action. They may be similar but they are not the same thing at all. You can call it "theft" all you want but you'd just be flat out wrong. This is a case where an opinion can be wrong because the actual facts of the matter say otherwise.

I've been very truthful about not having a stick up my ass and playing the semantics of it so far, that I can't see the light of day
Drunk_Samurai said:
They may be similar but they are not the same thing at all.
You've yet to tell me otherwise, especially when you acknowledge what I've been saying here but chose to deny it all the same.
Drunk_Samurai said:
This is a case where an opinion can be wrong because the actual facts of the matter say otherwise.
The only "fact" I see, Is that you want me to say "Copyright infringement" instead of "theft" or "stealing".

My opinion on the usage of the word is neither far-fetched nor hard to comprehend, but feel free to use your time on other things, if you feel I'm "wrong" and there is nothing to gain from continuously saying the same thing over and over.
TylaenFeb 11, 2017 11:24 AM
Feb 11, 2017 11:26 AM
Apr 2016
Whats with you people and your weird questions about pirating? Do you have an annoying sense of morality when it comes to this stuff? Who gives a rats ass about whether its wrong or not. The point is that it was created for viewers to enjoy and watch, period.
Feb 11, 2017 11:26 AM

Jul 2013
Obviously it's wrong. But so long as it's around, it will continue to be abused. If we couldn't stream anime then the industry would be in a better position than it's in. Not only that, but I assume people would enjoy what they're watching more, as they're likely to find out more about an anime then buy it, rather than simply streaming an anime and seeing if you like it. Of course not every would be able to afford to purchase anime on such a regular basis, but there are sites where you can pay a monthly/yearly fee and watch all you want, I think is the best compromise.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 11, 2017 11:28 AM

Apr 2015
Hector_Ndlovu said:
The point is that it was created for viewers to enjoy and watch, period.
The point Is actually to make something profitable.
Feb 11, 2017 12:35 PM

Sep 2016
@Drunk_Samurai I wouldn't waste my time arguing with him if I were you. No amount of facts and logical reasoning is enough to convince people who refuse to accept them. There is no hope for foolish people.

Feb 11, 2017 12:50 PM

Apr 2015
Apoc_Revolution said:
@Drunk_Samurai I wouldn't waste my time arguing with him if I were you. No amount of facts and logical reasoning is enough to convince people who refuse to accept them. There is no hope for foolish people.
Logic Is relative and we're talking about a malleable subject created by human beings, not dictated by nature.

A very melodramatic sentence, though. Commendable.
Feb 11, 2017 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
I honestly don't care if it's right or wrong, I pay for shit willingly.

Because I'm a sucker? No.

So that when you cry that anime is nothing but moe trash and boring SoL shit, I can savor your juicy tears.
Knowing that I was one of the fags who injected money into that particular market.

Paying Feels Good Man.
Feb 11, 2017 1:20 PM

Apr 2016
I stream anime from illegal sites however I purchase merchandise, DVDs anf manga so morally I think it's fine that I stream it since I at least give something back.
Feb 11, 2017 1:24 PM

Feb 2014
OP said:
I stream anime from illegal sites however I purchase merchandise, DVDs anf manga so morally I think it's fine that I stream it since I at least give something back.

Same. I watch all my anime as soon as its subbed wither on kissanime or 9anime but I own almost all my favorites. If I rate it a 10 or 9, I will probably buy the DVD box set.
Feb 11, 2017 1:26 PM

Feb 2014
And I own like 3 bookshelves of manga because one, I prefer reading a paper book than online reading and two, manga is so much cheaper and more accessible than anime.
Feb 11, 2017 1:31 PM

Jan 2013
Well sure, it's technically wrong.
But can you blame them/us, when there are obstacles in the way?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Feb 13, 2017 1:23 AM

Aug 2007
Tylaen said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I've been very truthful about not having a stick up my ass and playing the semantics of it so far, that I can't see the light of day
Drunk_Samurai said:
They may be similar but they are not the same thing at all.
You've yet to tell me otherwise, especially when you acknowledge what I've been saying here but chose to deny it all the same.
Drunk_Samurai said:
This is a case where an opinion can be wrong because the actual facts of the matter say otherwise.
The only "fact" I see, Is that you want me to say "Copyright infringement" instead of "theft" or "stealing".

My opinion on the usage of the word is neither far-fetched nor hard to comprehend, but feel free to use your time on other things, if you feel I'm "wrong" and there is nothing to gain from continuously saying the same thing over and over.

It doesn't matter what your opinion is. If the actual definition of something says otherwise then your "opinion" is wrong. You can't say "In my opinion the world is flat." The fact of the matter is piracy is not theft.

Fuchsia said:
Obviously it's wrong. But so long as it's around, it will continue to be abused. If we couldn't stream anime then the industry would be in a better position than it's in. Not only that, but I assume people would enjoy what they're watching more, as they're likely to find out more about an anime then buy it, rather than simply streaming an anime and seeing if you like it. Of course not every would be able to afford to purchase anime on such a regular basis, but there are sites where you can pay a monthly/yearly fee and watch all you want, I think is the best compromise.

That is not how it works at all. There's no evidence a person who streamed an anime would have bought it in the first place. They inflate those "lost sale" numbers by at least 95% Hell I'm probably even being generous when I give 5% as an actual lost sale. The industry is not struggling at all and if it was then it wouldn't have anything to do with piracy. Also blindly buying something is the worst way of seeing if something is good.
Feb 13, 2017 2:02 AM

Jun 2016
Of course it is. But if u just cant afford anime (like me) i guess i cant be helped.
Feb 13, 2017 5:45 AM

Apr 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tylaen said:

It doesn't matter what your opinion is. If the actual definition of something says otherwise then your "opinion" is wrong. You can't say "In my opinion the world is flat." The fact of the matter is piracy is not theft.
Please don't reiterate this again and expect me to reply. I've already done so thrice now.
Feb 13, 2017 5:56 AM
Sep 2016
Let me put my opinion in this,
Pirating Anime is good or bad?
My answer is yes and no why?
Because sure it helps the Anime And Manga Industry but not all of us throwing money like we are rich
So that's why a lot of people prefer pirating or illegal streaming anime, guys think about the people that don't have any money but only have internet to watch anime for entertainment
Feb 13, 2017 1:42 PM

Aug 2007
Tylaen said:
Please don't reiterate this again and expect me to reply. I've already done so thrice now.

Well that would be your own fault for having an "opinion" that goes against established facts.
Feb 13, 2017 1:46 PM

Apr 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tylaen said:

Well, that would be your own fault for having an "opinion" that goes against established facts.
Apart from words being about one the most malleable "facts" available, that "fact" does little to deter anything I've said.
Feb 13, 2017 2:02 PM
Dec 2014
I don't feel bad about pirating an old show from 1995 (Fushigi Yuugi) or 2002 (Chobits). I'm not even a part of this industry really.
Feb 13, 2017 3:40 PM

Jun 2015
It is wrong, however I have my on sense of justice. With all this crappy anime that keep getting aired, that are essentially big advertisements to the manga, I don't feel bad at all.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 14, 2017 12:24 PM

Aug 2007
Tylaen said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Well, that would be your own fault for having an "opinion" that goes against established facts.
Apart from words being about one the most malleable "facts" available, that "fact" does little to deter anything I've said.

Yeah it actually does. You're trying to force your own definition and crime on a completely different definition and crime.
Feb 16, 2017 8:44 AM

Feb 2015
Is it wrong to download anime that hasn't been licensed in NA? No. How the hell else are we going to view it?

Is it wrong to download anime that has been licensed in NA? Yes.

Do I do it anyway? Yes. Same with manga. I used to waste so much money buying anime/manga on whim and ended up hating most of it, thus wasting money. Now I pirate what I want and purchase what I like. I mean, I illegally download chapters of Skip Beat!, but love it enough that I continue to buy the manga (just purchased vol 37) even though I'm still reading ahead via scanlations just so I could have physical copies. I first saw Death Parade via illegal streaming, then on Hulu, and then I bought the DVD, again, so I could have a physical copy.

I mean, I know I'm not exactly contributing to the original creators when I buy licensed anime/manga since they don't exactly profit from it, but it's something at least.
Feb 16, 2017 9:07 AM

May 2013
Honestly the only method of watching anime that I judge people for using is KissAnime
Feb 17, 2017 11:02 AM

Aug 2007
reinakun said:
Is it wrong to download anime that hasn't been licensed in NA? No. How the hell else are we going to view it?

Do I do it anyway? Yes. Same with manga. I used to waste so much money buying anime/manga on whim and ended up hating most of it, thus wasting money. Now I pirate what I want and purchase what I like. I mean, I illegally download chapters of Skip Beat!, but love it enough that I continue to buy the manga (just purchased vol 37) even though I'm still reading ahead via scanlations just so I could have physical copies. I first saw Death Parade via illegal streaming, then on Hulu, and then I bought the DVD, again, so I could have a physical copy.

I mean, I know I'm not exactly contributing to the original creators when I buy licensed anime/manga since they don't exactly profit from it, but it's something at least.

So you're saying that a person in Cambodia who downloads say One Piece is in the wrong since it's licensed in North America?
Feb 17, 2017 11:15 AM

Feb 2015
Pirating itself is illegal and "wrong". So the short answer is yes
Feb 17, 2017 12:51 PM

Aug 2007
Lunarian said:
Pirating itself is illegal and "wrong". So the short answer is yes

Morals are subjective. Being illegal does not automatically make something wrong.
Feb 17, 2017 1:12 PM

Apr 2013
The police sirens are telling me yes, but my wallet, my wallet is telling me no.
Feb 17, 2017 1:25 PM

Feb 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
reinakun said:

So you're saying that a person in Cambodia who downloads say One Piece is in the wrong since it's licensed in North America?

I was using a personal example as I live in NA. Basically, if it's licensed in your country--and therefore easily accessible and available in a language you can understand--and you pirate it anyway it's wrong. Not to mention illegal.

I mean, I still pirtate anime/manga anyway since I'm not an effing millionaire, but facts are facts.
Feb 17, 2017 1:29 PM
Aug 2016
no it does not. and here is my reason why. if I couldn't watch it for free, I wouldn't be watching it. making it free is the only reason I bother to watch anything.
Feb 17, 2017 2:00 PM

Jan 2016
It's wrong, but I can live with myself for doing it. I do have more respect for someone who only pirates for trial purposes than people who pirate the whole shows.
hintoFeb 17, 2017 2:08 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2017 2:07 PM

Jan 2016
Ago_go said:
no it does not. and here is my reason why. if I couldn't watch it for free, I wouldn't be watching it. making it free is the only reason I bother to watch anything.

That's basically the mindset of a thief, though. You need a new justification, I think.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2017 5:42 PM

Aug 2007
reinakun said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I was using a personal example as I live in NA. Basically, if it's licensed in your country--and therefore easily accessible and available in a language you can understand--and you pirate it anyway it's wrong. Not to mention illegal.

I mean, I still pirtate anime/manga anyway since I'm not an effing millionaire, but facts are facts.

No. That's not how it works. Morals are subjective. You can't say pirating something licensed in North America is wrong for a "fact".

hinto said:
It's wrong, but I can live with myself for doing it. I do have more respect for someone who only pirates for trial purposes than people who pirate the whole shows.

An entire show is a trial purpose. There are many shows that become shit in later half of the series.

hinto said:
Ago_go said:

That's basically the mindset of a thief, though. You need a new justification, I think.

No it isn't. A thief actually takes something causing a lost. A pirate makes a copy of an item and it is only copyright infringement.
Feb 17, 2017 6:38 PM

Feb 2017
No, since you pay for the internet that needs to connect to the website.
Feb 17, 2017 6:42 PM
Jun 2016
this is a very complex topic.

i do torrent and stream, but i do prefer buying over those two options. i pirate because i dont have a lot of money to spare, and since im australian, anime is much more expensive and my money is worth a lot less. not everything gets released here, and some shows (like Space Runaway Ideon and Gunbuster) arent even available here in aus or even with english subs (in the case of Ideon). is pirating wrong? i dont really care to be honest. theres too many good arguments for either side so it will just remain in morally grey territory for me.
'ate gundam
Feb 17, 2017 6:47 PM

Jan 2016
Drunk_Samurai said:
reinakun said:

No. That's not how it works. Morals are subjective. You can't say pirating something licensed in North America is wrong for a "fact".

hinto said:

An entire show is a trial purpose. There are many shows that become shit in later half of the series.

hinto said:

No it isn't. A thief actually takes something causing a lost. A pirate makes a copy of an item and it is only copyright infringement.

I suggested it was similar to the mindset of a thief, not actual theft. That it is only copyright infringement is why I don't feel so bad about doing it myself ^_^ I can see how it's wrong, but I can live with infringing anime copyright among my sins.
Feb 17, 2017 7:30 PM

Feb 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:

Except it isn't. The actual definition of theft is taking. Copying is not even close to theft.

in some industries copying is a crame
ones called its called Plagiarism for copying and the claiming as your own

then there Copyright infringement that is what most illegal downloading falls under. (and the reason i don't practices downloading anime or tv series)

however there is no law punishing people for watching mind you they keep trying to make one but there so many way it could get abused that people activity block any law trying to pass for that
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 17, 2017 10:34 PM

Aug 2007
hinto said:

I suggested it was similar to the mindset of a thief, not actual theft. That it is only copyright infringement is why I don't feel so bad about doing it myself ^_^ I can see how it's wrong, but I can live with infringing anime copyright among my sins.

It isn't anyway. Most people who steal something only do so because they need to. Such as stealing food. That mindset is just saying they will watch it for free anyway.

hazerddex said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Except it isn't. The actual definition of theft is taking. Copying is not even close to theft.

in some industries copying is a crame
ones called its called Plagiarism for copying and the claiming as your own

then there Copyright infringement that is what most illegal downloading falls under. (and the reason i don't practices downloading anime or tv series)

however there is no law punishing people for watching mind you they keep trying to make one but there so many way it could get abused that people activity block any law trying to pass for that

Plagiarism isn't the same as making a copy of a video. Plagiarism is when a person does it with theintention of taking all credit. Usually for monetary purposes. Also there are plenty of laws against copyright infringement. I'm just saying that theft and copyright infringement are two completely different crimes.
Feb 17, 2017 10:43 PM

Sep 2013
I think it's wrong but I have to resort to illegally streaming my shows. It's because either I can't afford it or it's not licensed in North America. If there's a show that I really adore like Fullmetal Alchemist, then I do my best to buy it whenever I get the chance.
Apr 13, 2018 1:19 AM

Apr 2018
Well here in the Philippines there isn't much where you can buy physical copies. Online is usually the go to but the prices are whacked. Legal streaming is the best bet.
I personally pirate because one my internet sucks as so legal streaming will bite me in the ass. And before online shit became popular Two, I've been buying cd/dvd which produced hits and misses. And it's not like it's cheap either. So now I've pirated ever since and three if I REALLY LOVE it then I will buy it. Like how I'm saving up to buy One Piece and Naruto mangas.
"When I decided to follow my dream, I had already discarded my life.” -Roronoa Zoro
Apr 13, 2018 1:48 AM
Apr 2018
I live in Australia “madman”

unless it’s main stream garbage ie: my hero, attack on Titan, one punch man
or sexist crap “shoujo, reverse harem, Yaoi

The chances of getting a good series is almost slim to none which is why I use a pirate streaming sites
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

235 by perseii »»
2 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

8 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

60 by Pinoffin »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

29 by Hitagi__Furude »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 5 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.