Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2015 7:32 PM
Oct 2012
Nicromatic said:
This is like an alternate version of Outbreak Company..

Stop being a troll.

This story was written long before Outbreak. It is not a "version" of anything. Both shows took the same basic idea and went in different directions. To compare them is meaningless.
Jul 10, 2015 7:47 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode!!! Improvement from the first
They ended right as it was getting really good though! :)
Jul 10, 2015 7:57 PM
Oct 2012
SakurasouBusters said:
Great episode!!! Improvement from the first

From an aesthetic viewpoint I have to disagree. While of course the development of a story should improve upon what was previously shown, this is very different from saying "this is better".

Having never heard of this series before watching the first episode, I can say, no this was an "improvement". The first episode was fantastic, it created the scenario that made this episode great. The second episode ran with what the first created. I don't want to belittle this accomplishment, but I also don't want to not give the first episode its proper due.
Jul 10, 2015 8:03 PM

May 2014
Very good episode, with a lot of comedy.
9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2015 8:19 PM
Aug 2011
omg waifu joke is hilarious omg

Still not understanding the Outbreak Company comparisons.
Outbreak company was basically full-on comedy, this is not looking like comedy to me.
Note my sarcastic waifu joke line above.

Anyway, this is actually not as bad I thought it was but I don't see myself enjoying 24 episodes of this. So I won't.

You can say that i've been predisposed to disliking a lot from this that is not necessarily Gate's fault but more like visuals/studio etc. Just personal taste and yes, when i'm watching almost 20 new shows i'm going to let these minor things affect me.
standJul 10, 2015 8:24 PM
Jul 10, 2015 8:56 PM

Apr 2011
It's not even a battle. It's a slaughter to pit such primitive forces against modern era weaponry. I laughed so hard when they dropped artillery onto them. 10+ miles away.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Jul 10, 2015 9:08 PM

Nov 2010
I'll say the art for the anime is a lot better than the manga, I haven't looked at LN art so I wouldn't know however.
Jul 10, 2015 9:09 PM

Nov 2007
Pretty good second episode. I think this is a keeper. The trap set by the Imperials was really wicked.

The way they covered the USA's ass (potential involvement) for now was pretty ridiculous though. In reality, the USA won't simply suck on their thumbs when there are chances of getting hand on new resources. It's a fantasy story, so let's just let it slide for now.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 10, 2015 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
is there a come back soon? ..
Jul 10, 2015 9:46 PM

Apr 2013
still weird.. and not that good.. hopefully next episode actually shows something interesting.
Jul 10, 2015 9:54 PM

Mar 2015
BetaKnight said:
is there a come back soon? ..
For who, the Imperials? Do you 'want' them to stage a comeback?
Jul 10, 2015 9:59 PM

Apr 2013
I like how one day they slaughter tens of thousands of people, and then the next they're like 'let's go out and make friends'. I haven't been in war, but they seemed just a little too unconcerned immediately following that massive bloodbath. But it's a pretty good show so far, and i'm glad the blonde elf chick showed up like i hoped, if only for a moment.

Also, i liked the evil, resource hungry Americans. F*** those guys.

And man did that battle bring back memories of playing Civilization. I never get my units upgraded in time.
Jul 10, 2015 9:59 PM

Oct 2011
Those losses 0____0

A survivor of the fire
Jul 10, 2015 10:02 PM

Dec 2012
I really liked the large scale conflict feel to it. It's awesome! I hope they can maintain that. I will be sad if they replace the large scale conflict with the small scale one(female characters fighting for the protagonist's love, maybe?). But I do not mind if those conflicts exist side by side.
Oh, and that CGI dragon was pretty cool compared to the one in Chaos Dragon.

Takuan_Soho said:
From an aesthetic viewpoint I have to disagree. While of course the development of a story should improve upon what was previously shown, this is very different from saying "this is better".

Having never heard of this series before watching the first episode, I can say, no this was an "improvement". The first episode was fantastic, it created the scenario that made this episode great. The second episode ran with what the first created. I don't want to belittle this accomplishment, but I also don't want to not give the first episode its proper due.

From the aesthetic standpoint? Is there any difference? I think it's even better since we could see the Imperial City.

Of course this episode was based on what's going on in the first episode, because that's what a first episode does, establishing what's what with the anime & an introduction. If what you mean is there's no plot point that changes the course of the story, then that's not even a legitimate thing to be criticized.
Pat_To_Do-ListJul 10, 2015 10:45 PM
I like anime.
Jul 10, 2015 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
Well, they got it coming, you come invading our world and killing our people, you can't complain if we come to yours and fuck shit up.

Jul 10, 2015 10:33 PM

Nov 2014
Great episode. Better than the first and even that was quite good. I especially loved how the medieval army was decimated.
Jul 10, 2015 10:43 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Really great episode! This is the best anime this season, incredibly entertaining! Can't wait for the next episode
9/10

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 10, 2015 10:56 PM

Jan 2011
That king must have some sort of secret weapon, otherwise he's a giant fucking moron.
Jul 10, 2015 11:14 PM

Dec 2011
I'll kill you if you badmouth my waifu. Best line. Hahaha.

I guess on what we are seeing, technology is winning against the barbarians, even the dragons are getting shot down. I can't wait to see some equilibrium once sorcery/magic is announced.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2015 11:17 PM
Jun 2013
Well, for one thing, I hope that arrow didn't hit anyone.

I did find it a shame we didn't see that army, that was seen ealier by the end of episode 1, wiped out.

Annoyingly, the ignorant majority of the Japanese citizens are protesting, saying they want the gate to be closed and that the JSDF should just call off the invasion. I will hope they think differently when
greed2Jul 10, 2015 11:22 PM
Jul 10, 2015 11:22 PM
Nov 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
That king must have some sort of secret weapon

ReaperCreeper said:
otherwise he's a giant fucking moron.

He's more worried about other parts of his empire revolting than this new threat. He may be right.
Jul 10, 2015 11:44 PM

Aug 2010
Americans: RESOURCES!
Japan: Lets investigate their culture and politics (after killing 120,000 people)

They supposedly sent in some scouts before, but their first major move is to just roll in with tanks and men and get into a fight with a much inferior force? Wouldn't they send in drones and have all sorts of recon on the (potential) enemy first? I'd imagine the world would spend years investigating before even making a move. Also, I'm sure they would definitely know how the gate works before making a major move.

I mean how do you go "lets see what this place is like" AFTER you just walk in and decimate over 100,000 Roman-empire age people? Yeah I get rolling in and kicking *** after being attacked, but don't pull the pacifist card after that "JAPAN **** yeah!" display and then also toss a jab at the USA at the same time.
Jul 10, 2015 11:46 PM
Dec 2013
loved that dragon at the end!
AccountKiller
Jul 10, 2015 11:50 PM

Jan 2013
singleturbo said:
Japan: Lets investigate their culture and politics (after killing 120,000 people)

They supposedly sent in some scouts before, but their first major move is to just roll in with tanks and men and get into a fight with a much inferior force? Wouldn't they send in drones and have all sorts of recon on the (potential) enemy first? I'd imagine the world would spend years investigating before even making a move. Also, I'm sure they would definitely know how the gate works before making a major move.

I mean how do you go "lets see what this place is like" AFTER you just walk in and decimate over 100,000 Roman-empire age people? Yeah I get rolling in and kicking *** after being attacked, but don't pull the pacifist card after that "JAPAN **** yeah!" display and then also toss a jab at the USA at the same time.

Don't expect too much from JSDF banzai: the anime, it's an okay entertainment when not thinking deeply about "realism(kek)" in the series.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 11, 2015 12:13 AM

Jun 2015
I like the pace so far. Not as much action in this episode, but I suppose the stuff shown in this episode was necessary for story development. And I love the bit where the guys were talking about magical girls and stuff while driving.

Jul 11, 2015 12:14 AM

Aug 2010
DawnJ said:
singleturbo said:

Don't expect too much from JSDF banzai: the anime, it's an okay entertainment when not thinking deeply about "realism(kek)" in the series.

I know, I just found the episode to be very hypocritical.
Jul 11, 2015 12:17 AM

Aug 2011
That war not people vs people but people with sword vs tank and bomb.
They start the war first with kill the civilian at akihabara so japan strike back
Jul 11, 2015 12:30 AM

Nov 2013
Modern army is too op and too brutal, they just massacred 120k without second thought, didn't even take captives to talk to.
Jul 11, 2015 12:49 AM

Mar 2015
sadfacelv said:
Modern army is too op and too brutal, they just massacred 120k without second thought, didn't even take captives to talk to.

Can't really blame them. Those guys invaded and killed lots of Japanese people too. Although both of them are in the wrong.

Jul 11, 2015 1:07 AM

Jul 2013
singleturbo said:

Eh I don't know what you're expecting. Should they just play the pacifist card all the way and let a MARCHING army of 100000 approached the gate and risk them entering Japan? I don't think so. Even bows and swords can kill you if you don't defend yourself

So far we've only seen JSDF on the defensive position and never purposely went out of their way to invade more than the area around the gate. What exactly would you do in that situation? I'm curious.. Even if they've sent scouts before it'll be stupid if not downright idiotic to march in without proper battle preparation. Do you expect them to just go "oh we've sent scouts anyway, let's go there not bringing tanks even though we know they're a bunch of murderous barbarians riding freaking dragons"? After all it's an unknown world with known hostile residents who had just invaded your nation and kill hundreds if not thousands of people. If anything I found it quite lenient that the Japanese has yet to launch a full scale invasion to nearby villages/cities in an act of revenge and instead sent envoys in hopes of finding non-hostile locals.
MoeGodJul 11, 2015 1:12 AM
Jul 11, 2015 1:58 AM

Aug 2014
That's a lot of casualties.. Talk about one-sided battle. Earth army too OP!
Not bad so far. Dunno where will this going, like what is their main goal in this war again? Conquering? Slaughtering? Avenging? idk
Jul 11, 2015 2:24 AM

May 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Best part

This entire episode reminded me of the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs

and that time when they sang an anime song i miss my homies
Jul 11, 2015 2:58 AM
May 2015
I know this is just an anime , but for some reason, I kinda think that it's an unfair fight between the JSDF vs Middle age knights.

I hope they just limit thing to just 12 ep.
Jul 11, 2015 3:09 AM
Jul 2018
Loving this show so far, really glad to her it's going to be 24 episodes.
This is much more up my street than Log Horizon and SAO. More like Outbreak Company.
Jul 11, 2015 3:16 AM
Feb 2015
singleturbo said:

I think drones need satellites, which are not available. Earlier scouts were only deployed to gain info surrounding the landing area, not deep into the enemy territory. Despite modern weaponry, small team of scouts can still get overwhelmed with numbers. What JSDF is doing in this episode is basically securing the landing area and establishing HQ perimeter. Spending years investigating before making a move is stupid, especially when wars depend on momentum and public support is strongest when it's closer to the tragedy. For example, US reacted swiftly after 9/11 attacks.
Jul 11, 2015 3:26 AM

Jul 2015
My man Duran was loyal to the end although he was quite skeptical of the Emperor's plan on sending him and other kings to attack the hill.
9/10 episode great in politics, animation can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 11, 2015 3:31 AM
Mar 2010
oldskoolpunk said:
ReaperCreeper said:
That king must have some sort of secret weapon

ReaperCreeper said:
otherwise he's a giant fucking moron.

He's more worried about other parts of his empire revolting than this new threat. He may be right.

I really hate that guy
Jul 11, 2015 3:33 AM
Mar 2010
Yamada2 said:
One simply doesn't badmouth a JSDF officer's waifu. Too bad for Itami that he couldn't find his mahou shoujos there.

So this was another good enough episode. The emperor of fantasy land had all his allies go kill themselves while he did nothing. It's no surprise that swords and arrows were defeated big time by guns, missiles and land mines.

The JSDF now has to learn about the locals and get on their good side, make friends (Itami will make his harem) and learn about the land itself.

The thing which I fear is the harem part. Itami doesn't seem like a guy who knows his way around women considering his otaku nature. He may be a good enough guy in other places, but he may not be when it comes to females. Well, let's see how the harem part is played out. I was planning on dropping this, but looks like it will live another day.

Here's a spoiler for you[spoiler] he was once married and divorce
Jul 11, 2015 3:41 AM
Mar 2010
Sourire said:
still weird.. and not that good.. hopefully next episode actually shows something interesting.

Sourire said:

Hey is that you on youtube on that reaction video on anime our an I getting the wrong person.
Jul 11, 2015 3:44 AM

Nov 2014
Awesome ep. I love this series because somehow reminds me of Civilization (The Game Series). I hope i dont see Archers destroying Tanks like in CIVIII

As for the battle:

Jul 11, 2015 3:49 AM

Dec 2009
Was a fun episode. We got to see a focus on the Imperial Politics and such. What a wily emperor, creating an "Allied Army" of neighboring countries to wipe them out in a single wave. Hi Princess Pinia Colada!

And so... NeoCon Amurricah shows it's head. Considering the current Neoliberal hegemony I wouldn't be so shocked if this is how things turn out. Expanding markets w00t!

Though letting Japan foot the bill on this campaign is quite interesting, might actually get the deflated Japanese economy get going again considering it's dire straights in that timeline.
Jul 11, 2015 4:06 AM

Apr 2015
It's been a fun episode :) It feels like it's going to get even better as the relationships start building. (I predict an accumulative harem).

For a moment though I thought that Itami was gonna poison his entire recon team. xD

I've got high expectations of this season so far.

Jul 11, 2015 4:13 AM
Mar 2010
singleturbo said:

Side of you not familiar with actual war situation then dint try to justify anything regarding that.
Jul 11, 2015 4:15 AM
Mar 2010
NettoAzure said:
Was a fun episode. We got to see a focus on the Imperial Politics and such. What a wily emperor, creating an "Allied Army" of neighboring countries to wipe them out in a single wave. Hi Princess Pinia Colada!.

That name always makes me want to go to a bar.
Jul 11, 2015 4:39 AM

Dec 2009
HELLSATAN said:

That name always makes me want to go to a bar.

I can't remember. Did the JSDF members react to that name? XD
Jul 11, 2015 4:46 AM

Apr 2012
Its great that they adapted the battle of Alnus hill.
Really enjoyed.
"Il kill you if you badmouth my waifu" quote of the year.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Jul 11, 2015 4:54 AM
Aug 2008
ichii_1 said:
councilman: king we just lost 60% of our military with no casualties for the enemy!
king: good just what I wanted send the remaining 40%

actually its not like that. but lke this

king: i understand the concern that this will change the military balance and make neighboring kingdom attacks us.

King: here i command a joint-force between our army and army from kingdoms arround us to attack Japan.

King: but make sure to never actually send our men. <-- the one eyed dude in battlefield actually realized this dirty strategy and wonders why that one kingdom did not send army

EDIT:

about the military tech,
i wonder will the anime "modernize" the army with showing drones
orangpelupaJul 11, 2015 5:11 AM
Jul 11, 2015 5:08 AM
Aug 2008
singleturbo said:

it is not explained in the anime and manga (other than political pressure) but there is a lot of factors that can be though as the "triggers" to explore ASAP:

- they dont understand how the gate works and afraid it it get closed, then re appear somewhere else
- they want to keep enemies from entering japan
- The massacre is because the enemy keeps attacking the gate, what can they do to prevent them attacking?
- We dont know what the recon team achieved or failed to achieve. This factor alone can breed countless reason why the haste to put defense zone on that mountain/hill.
Jul 11, 2015 5:13 AM

Mar 2014
love the ed. cant wait to meet leafa next week (:
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2015

207 by GooseHybrid »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.