Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 3, 2015 12:25 PM

Oct 2011
Since other animals are conscious living beings with emotions just like us, what gives us the right to eat them?

We're more intelligent than tigers, lions etc. so we can actually consider the consequences of killing an animal.

Why can't we just be vegetarians instead to avoid taking lives?
OlwenMay 3, 2015 12:40 PM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 3, 2015 12:26 PM

Jun 2014
but plants/vegetables are living too. we must eat rocks
May 3, 2015 12:27 PM

Oct 2011
Jessicakes said:

Changed the distinction to "conscious living beings."
May 3, 2015 12:28 PM

Jul 2011
animals eat other animals, are we going to make them go on vegan diets too?

because we totally have enough farmland to feed 7 billion people extra food to replace meat without them being malnourished
May 3, 2015 12:28 PM

Jan 2013
am I the only one that likes eating animals?
May 3, 2015 12:29 PM

Apr 2012
Syrup- said:

yea u are the only one

May 3, 2015 12:29 PM

Oct 2012
No, it's unnatural not to eat them.
May 3, 2015 12:30 PM

Aug 2013
ethics are made up.
May 3, 2015 12:31 PM

Feb 2010
What is unethical is subjective, Im a pacifist so I don't agree to any form of violence, so I don't eat meat.
May 3, 2015 12:31 PM

Jan 2013
Syrup- said:
Most definitely.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 3, 2015 12:33 PM

Jul 2011
When lions stop of eating zebras i will stop of eating chickens
May 3, 2015 12:33 PM

Jul 2011
Who is to say plants don't have a self-consciousness either though? I mean they fulfil the MRS GREN criteria just like humans and animals... why shouldn't they think or have personalities (we know they communicate)?
May 3, 2015 12:34 PM

Oct 2010
Truth be told, I feel bad when I eat animals. I gave up red meat entirely because of this (I also don't think red meat tastes that good anyways, so I rarely ate it when I still ate it at all).
I still eat chickens, though, because sadly I am incapable of giving up meat completely. I'm such a picky eater that if I gave up eating chicken, I would legitimately be living off of mushrooms, broccoli, brown rice and ice cream.
May 3, 2015 12:34 PM

Aug 2014
What's with your obsession with this topic?
May 3, 2015 12:35 PM

Nov 2008
No it's not. Besides plants are living and we eat those too and plants feel pain as well so the bleeding hearts shouldn't eat at all.

May 3, 2015 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
Olwen said:
Jessicakes said:

good :)

I think its because we dont value and respect animals lives enough to stop eating them since its beneficial to us. sure their consciousness counts for something, but its not enough
May 3, 2015 12:37 PM

Oct 2011
Wyzdm said:
Olwen said:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/new-research-plant-intelligence-may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants

The article doesn't say that they're conscious.
May 3, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
-shotz said:
marriage said:

because we totally have enough farmland to feed 7 billion people extra food to replace meat without them being malnourished
i'm not gonna sit here and tell people what to do, but it should be obvious that it takes much less farmland to produce plants than meat. The WHO encourages people to center their diets more around plant-based foods for this reason. next time use a little common sense before you go about spouting out shit.
You just told him/her what to do, what gives?

May 3, 2015 12:41 PM

Oct 2012
Spooky_Love said:
ethics are made up.
and you should know this.

Not to imply that you should ignore laws because that would pose trouble for yourself.
May 3, 2015 12:42 PM

Apr 2014
Cabron said:
-shotz said:
i'm not gonna sit here and tell people what to do, but it should be obvious that it takes much less farmland to produce plants than meat. The WHO encourages people to center their diets more around plant-based foods for this reason. next time use a little common sense before you go about spouting out shit.

What if he was standing while telling him/her what to do?
May 3, 2015 12:43 PM

Oct 2011
Wyzdm said:
Olwen said:

The article doesn't say that they're conscious.

Did you even read the article?

Plants can do incredible things. They do seem to remember stresses and events, like that experiment. They do have the ability to respond to 15 to 20 environmental variables," Pollan says. "The issue is, is it right to call it learning? Is that the right word? Is it right to call it intelligence? Is it right, even, to call what they are conscious. Some of these plant neurobiologists believe that plants are conscious — not self-conscious, but conscious in the sense they know where they are in space ... and react appropriately to their position in space."

Did you even read the part that you quoted? Seriously.

Computers can do that too (know where they are in space), but they're not conscious in the sense that we are.
May 3, 2015 12:44 PM

Oct 2011
eririri said:
Spooky_Love said:
ethics are made up.

Not to imply that you should ignore laws because that would pose trouble for yourself.

So what if ethics are made up? Should I go to your house and kill you because there's no ethical justification why I shouldn't?
May 3, 2015 12:44 PM

Apr 2012
Olwen said:
Wyzdm said:

Did you even read the article?

Computers can do that too (know where they are in space), but they're not conscious in the sense that we are.

does that mean i shouldn't eat a computer?

May 3, 2015 12:45 PM

Jan 2013
Kyonin said:
Cabron said:

What if he was standing while telling him/her what to do?
You crazy.

May 3, 2015 12:46 PM

Oct 2011
Zeally said:
Olwen said:

does that mean i shouldn't eat a computer?

No, I'm saying it's ok to eat plants and computers because they're not conscious.
May 3, 2015 12:48 PM

Oct 2011
Wyzdm said:
Olwen said:

The article says they are conscious and you said it didn't say that.

Anyways so what if they are not conscious, they are still living creatures. Are you trying to say that them not being conscious gives you the right to kill them? If so then I can argue that other animals not being as intelligent as us humans gives us the right to kill them.

They are conscious IN A DIFFERENT SENSE FROM US. Same word, different meaning!

And yes, not being conscious does give us the right to kill them. We'd starve to death otherwise!

Intelligent /=/ consciousness... basic logical fallacy.
May 3, 2015 12:49 PM

Feb 2010
Olwen said:
eririri said:

So what if ethics are made up? Should I go to your house and kill you because there's no ethical justification why I shouldn't?

They are a social-construct, we have adapted the notion that killing is bad since it doesn't really benefit us & could bring about revenge which in turn can get ourselves killed.

Mar 2014
How do you know animals have 'emotions'?
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Jul 2011
-shotz said:
marriage said:

typical vegan who thinks soil exhaustion doesnt happen
go eat your grass in peace
May 3, 2015 12:50 PM

Feb 2010
Geni-2-ol said:
How do you know animals have 'emotions'?

Well how do we have emotions, since humans are also animals?
May 3, 2015 12:53 PM

Oct 2012
Olwen said:
eririri said:

You probably wouldn't want to do that since that is likely to get you into trouble. To live is to subsist at the cost of countless lives, be it animal, insect, microbes or plants. Suffering as an inherent evil is also bunk.
May 3, 2015 12:54 PM

Oct 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
Olwen said:
We're more intelligent than tigers, lions etc. so we can actually consider the consequences of killing an animal.
Sure, we can consider the consequences, and I think on balance I think the ethical considerations that we take into account do not outweigh the utility we receive from ingesting steak, pork chops, etc.

Does it really? Think about it. For one person to have meat for their lifetime, how many animals have to die? How many tons of meat is required?

rjimenez said:
Olwen said:

They are a social-construct, we have adapted the notion that killing is bad since it doesn't really benefit us & could bring about revenge which in turn can get ourselves killed.

Yes, but that just means we have to make up ethical rules to counteract the bad consequences. Why not make up a rule to ban the killing of animals?
May 3, 2015 12:56 PM

Feb 2010
Olwen said:
Zergneedsfood said:
Sure, we can consider the consequences, and I think on balance I think the ethical considerations that we take into account do not outweigh the utility we receive from ingesting steak, pork chops, etc.

Does it really? Think about it. For one person to have meat for their lifetime, how many animals have to die? How many tons of meat is required?

rjimenez said:

Yes, but that just means we have to make up ethical rules to counteract the bad consequences. Why not make up a rule to ban the killing of animals?

The reason there isn't a rule is cuz the majority disagrees & humanity might cease to exist before we get anywhere near there.
May 3, 2015 12:57 PM

Feb 2010
Wyzdm said:
Olwen said:
And yes, not being conscious does give us the right to kill them. We'd starve to death otherwise!

Other animals being less intelligent than us gives us the right to kill them then.

Also plants cannot give us vitamin B12. My mom is a vegetarian and she has a deficiency in that vitamin. A deficiency in B12 can cause a lot of problems and since she's so hellbent on never eating meat she has to take B12 capsules.

Than that gives me the right to kill mentally handicapped people by that logic.
May 3, 2015 12:58 PM

Oct 2012
Olwen said:
You can or you can choose not to. But should you? What does that even mean? You shouldn't if you don't want the chance of getting imprisoned. You shouldn't if you have no benefit in doing so. You shouldn't if you don't want to feel guilt (if you would feel guilt). You shouldn't if... See the pattern here? If... The overriding, unconditional imperative is simply nonsense.

Note that conditional imperatives infinitely regress, yet we are forced to act anyways. This is what troubled Heidegger, but there is no rational justification anyways. We are, at the core, subject to biological whims that improve our chances of survival.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 12:59 PM

Jul 2011
rjimenez said:
Wyzdm said:

Other animals being less intelligent than us gives us the right to kill them then.

Also plants cannot give us vitamin B12. My mom is a vegetarian and she has a deficiency in that vitamin. A deficiency in B12 can cause a lot of problems and since she's so hellbent on never eating meat she has to take B12 capsules.

Than that gives me the right to kill mentally handicapped people by that logic.

Just if you are going to eat them later.
May 3, 2015 1:01 PM

Feb 2010
Jeffry Dammer did nothing wrong by that logic (fixed)

Since he preyed on kids, which may or may not have been less intelligent.
May 3, 2015 1:02 PM

Feb 2015
marriage said:

^this

to be fair, animals dont raise other animals under horrible circumstances to then slaughter and eat them. The principle`s the same though.
May 3, 2015 1:03 PM
Mar 2014
Ethics are subjective, but yes, I personally think it's unethical. That's exactly why I don't eat animals.

Should anyone look down on meat-eaters? Definitely not. I'm sure there's a large amount of them who feel guilty, but don't have the privilege to make such a large change in their diet.
vegetablespiritMay 3, 2015 1:07 PM
May 3, 2015 1:04 PM

Oct 2011
eririri said:
You probably wouldn't want to do that since that is likely to get you into trouble.

Not necessarily!

We need to make up objective ethical rules, in the same way that we pick axioms in math. And maybe not eating animals should be one of these axioms.

Zergneedsfood said:
eririri said:
You probably wouldn't want to do that since that is likely to get you into trouble. To live is to subsist at the cost of countless lives, be it animal, insect, microbes or plants. Suffering as an inherent evil is also bunk.
There's also near zero utility to traveling the distance and indulging the time to seek out your actual identity, find your address, and stab you to death. =p

You're kinda contradicting yourself in this post and the post you made right after that.

Zergneedsfood said:
Olwen said:
Not sure, but you ask as if that kind of consideration matters to most people, which I will flat out say I don't think is the case.

Maybe I'm the kind of sicko who gets great pleasure out of finding where eririri is. There'd be an insane amount of utility then!

Second, your counterargument is that most people wouldn't care about the number of animals killed to satisfy then. So what? Most people are ethically ignorant; that doesn't mean we should listen to them about ethical judgments. We have to objectively quantify the utility of our actions, not ask for people's opinions about their utility.

You can or you can choose not to. But should you? What does that even mean? You shouldn't if you don't want the chance of getting imprisoned. You shouldn't if you have no benefit in doing so. You shouldn't if you don't want to feel guilt (if you would feel guilt). You shouldn't if... See the pattern here? If... The overriding, unconditional imperative is simply nonsense.

Suppose my benefit would be the utility (the amount of pleasure I would get) from killing eririri. Also suppose that I was so smart that I wouldn't get imprisoned. (There are many murders in real life in which people don't get imprisoned). Suppose I wouldn't feel guilt. There are supergenius serial killers who get pleasure from killing and never get caught.

What is stopping me from killing eririri right now?
May 3, 2015 1:05 PM

Aug 2013
Olwen said:
eririri said:

No but placing obviously made up ethics on something thats natural to make it wrong is stupid. anyone who thinks eating meat is wrong is saying nature is wrong and unethical which is stupid because ethics don't apply to reality beyond humans.

Maybe all humans should just stop eating and starve to death, that way we don't hurt nature even though nature dictates we should eat meat.

Jul 2011
rjimenez said:

because children and the disabled are equivalent to chickens and plants
stop derailing with your useless garbage arguments that no person with half a brain would agree with

Feb 2010
Animals also rape, so since eating other animals since they also do it is "okay" does that mean rape is also okay?

Oct 2012
Olwen said:
Suppose my benefit would be the utility (the amount of pleasure I would get) from killing eririri. Also suppose that I was so smart that I wouldn't get imprisoned. (There are many murders in real life in which people don't get imprisoned). Suppose I wouldn't feel guilt.

Suppose there is no empirical impediment (you are not too lazy, the distance isn't an issue, there's no legal issue or difficulty in carrying it out, etc.)... Nothing.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 1:06 PM

Oct 2011
katsucats said:
Olwen said:
Suppose my benefit would be the utility (the amount of pleasure I would get) from killing eririri. Also suppose that I was so smart that I wouldn't get imprisoned. (There are many murders in real life in which people don't get imprisoned). Suppose I wouldn't feel guilt.

Suppose there is no empirical impediment (you are not too lazy, the distance isn't an issue, there's no legal issue or difficulty in carrying it out, etc.)... Nothing.

.............are you ok with this conclusion?
May 3, 2015 1:07 PM

Jul 2011
Roll up roll up roll up! Get your barfbags here! Typical MAL discussion - from OP's veiled ethical question to justifying rape and murder! So get your barfbags everyone! You'll need 'em!
May 3, 2015 1:07 PM

Oct 2012
marriage said:
No comment on his posts, but analogies aren't equivalents. Otherwise whenever you hear "roses are red as violets are blue", you'd say "because roses are equivalent to violets..."
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 1:08 PM

Feb 2010
marriage said:
rjimenez said:

stop derailing with your useless garbage arguments that no person with half a brain would agree with

I wasn't derailing I was replying to someone that said it was okay to eating animals since they are less intelligent than us.

I don't care if someone else decides to eat animals, but the main reason humans eat other animas is cuz they have nourishment and are tasty to some humans.
May 3, 2015 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
rjimenez said:
Animals also rape, so since eating other animals since they also do it is "okay" does that mean rape is also okay?

May 3, 2015 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
It's not about intelligence, consciousness, sentience, or whatever the fuck else. It is about suffering. If you disagree, please give me one example where it would be unethical to do something to a being that is incapable of suffering/well-being. You won't be able to, because it's absurd.

Now, we know from neuroscience certain ways of measuring a being's capacity to feel pain. That is, we can scientifically demonstrate (beyond any reasonable doubt) that an amoeba simply is incapable of the same pain as a human. There is a sliding scale of pain-capability, with rocks/plants/amoebas at the bottom, things like cows around the middle, and creatures like humans and other Great Apes at the peak. The invariant of this scale is this: The higher the being on the scale, the more unethical it is to harm them.

HOWEVER, one thing that (to my knowledge) has not yet been demonstrated is whether animals (aside from those at the top of the scale) can not merely feel pain, but actually suffer. That is, does their lack of self-awareness preclude them from conceptualizing of painful experience as "negative"? Or is it more accurate to just understand their pain response in a behaviorist light, where they simply respond aversely to negative stimuli? Some have argued that it's just a neutral reaction, similar to how clapping hands in front of someone's eyes will cause them to blink.

So, it's not clear that eating animals is truly immoral, yet. However, I would say it is more likely than not that they would suffer, though I don't have a scientific basis for that. If anything, one could make an argument like "it is better to err on the side of not inflicting suffering in the unknown case".
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you deem gratuitously killing insects immoral?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

23 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
20 minutes ago

» Is mental illness real?

rian2 - May 9

37 by Zarutaku »»
22 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

9 by SaltyCookie »»
44 minutes ago

» To those who peaked their anime watch time during the pandemic, what are you guys doing now?

rlyvtei - May 8

14 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » individualism like in usa or collectivism like in japan

deg - Yesterday

21 by traed »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.