Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 24, 2015 1:21 PM
Jul 2014
So since my question about Book of Bantorra went nowhere...no wait it went somewehre but it lead me to decide to hold off on purchasing it for now as I have other more positively received shows on my list. Like this one. Now I know this show has a very loyal fan base so please hold on with saying I totally have to buy this untill you've read the rest.

I'm a bit of an odd duck in terms of anime enthusiasts in the sense that I don't like a lot things most people associate with anime. Most of these having to do with the romance genre. For instance I really don't care for tsunderes, yanderes, other deres and various other anime stereotypes. Neither do I particularly care for cute girls in their teenage years with additional fanservice as I'm in my mid twenties and it kinda makes me feel like a pervert. In stronger terms I hate shows with a high school setting as I have very bad memories of high school and don't like to see it portrayed in a more sunny light than how I remember it. And if there's one thing I hate above all else it's the harem genre as I feel it's insulting towards women, unhealthy and outdated.

Now with all that you'd say I should just give this a pass right?

Counterpoint time:

If there's one thing I like about anime more than anything else and whay I continue to wathc it then it's the artistic vision it can give to it's shows. Whereas live action shows tend to be stuck in their narrowminded realism anime can bring much much more experimental and artistic stories to the screen with surreal or outlandish visuals. And I always find that the kind of shows that do that are the ones I love more than any other. Also I really enjoy well written dialogues.

So in simple terms: what we have here is an amalgam of things I love and things I hate. My question is which one is more present? I can put up with a genre I dislike if it brings a strong personal vision to the table but likewise a highly interesting show can be ruined for me when elements I dislike become to prevalent. This show looks really interesting but then whenever I even look at the cover of the DVD case I kinda feel like this is gonna be a big mistake buying it. Hence the question.

Lemme know your thoughts please

Thanks in advance
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2015 1:24 PM

Nov 2013
tl;dr

It's a good show. Has loads of dialogue though, but it's good.
Mar 24, 2015 1:24 PM

Jun 2013
It's worth a shot.
Mar 24, 2015 1:26 PM

Jun 2014
I've never watched Bakemonogatari(And I never will,) but I will say this. If you hate Tsunderes, and excessive fanservice, don't watch it, because it's apparently full of it.

Mar 24, 2015 1:26 PM

Sep 2014
tl;dr worth watching
the star gazing scene is one of the cutest fucking thins anime has to offer
Mar 24, 2015 1:27 PM
Aug 2014
With how much thought and consideration needs to go into the pros and cons of watching it for you, there's really no way people on a forum are going to be able to provide a good enough reason one way or the other.

This is going to sound like a lazy answer, but it's pretty much the best one: Just watch it, and if you don't find it worth the time, drop it. Putting in this much thought is highly unnecessary when it comes to this.
Mar 24, 2015 1:28 PM

Nov 2010
Yes depending on the price.
Mar 24, 2015 1:32 PM

Sep 2014
Working_Designs said:
I've never watched Bakemonogatari(And I never will,) but I will say this. If you hate Tsunderes, and excessive fanservice, don't watch it, because it's apparently full of it.

I can't think of 1 tsundere in monogatari.
Mar 24, 2015 1:32 PM

Nov 2013
Working_Designs said:

Wat
No
Mar 24, 2015 1:36 PM

Apr 2013
Working_Designs said:

Both claims are wrong. First of all, the main heroine isn't a tsundere at all, she just says she is. About the fan service, Bakemonogatari doesn't have that much in it. Nisemonogatari (the second season) is a different story, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Mar 24, 2015 1:38 PM

Aug 2014
Only watched this an nise. Bakemonogatari looks amazing and if you like conversation it is really interesting.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 24, 2015 1:45 PM

Apr 2012
I liked it a lot especially when I was still new to the whole Shaft art style.
It's dialogue heavy though.

Mar 24, 2015 1:46 PM

Jul 2014
Watch it if you want to get bored to death.
Mar 24, 2015 1:50 PM

Oct 2013
Bakemonogatari is essentially a romantic comedy that has more focus on comedy and... plot (not drama, per se, but just the situations that the characters get into) than romance, though the romance is there. Personally I loved it, but I have no idea if you will like it.
Mar 24, 2015 1:53 PM

Nov 2014
If you like Tarantino movies you'll probably like Bakemonogatari. It's very stylish and dialog driven.
Mar 24, 2015 2:00 PM

Jul 2014
Working_Designs said:

Once again, Senjogahara is NOT a tsundere.

Mar 24, 2015 2:01 PM
Mar 2014
I wouldn't recommend Bakemonogatari. It has a rather dull story and relies very heavily on the viewer liking its cast of characters which (amongst others) involves your standard tsundere, lesbian and loli characters (there are cat girls as well if you're into that kind of stuff). I've been told that the characters get a little more layers added to their personalities throughout the various seasons the show has had up until now, and on top of that a lot of people praise the series for its 'witty dialogue', so I guess if that sounds like something you'll enjoy you can give it a try.
Mar 24, 2015 2:02 PM

Jun 2014
Dojourei said:
Working_Designs said:

Well, she's certainly ugly, which is probably a good enough reason for me to never watch Bakemonogatari.

Mar 24, 2015 2:03 PM

Nov 2014
Dojourei said:
Working_Designs said:

Lol. Yes she is. And the Monogatari Series is a harem. With that said, it's actually one of the few good harems, and Senjougahara doesn't completely conform to the tsundere archetype.
Mar 24, 2015 2:04 PM

Sep 2014
aikaflip said:
Dojourei said:

Lol. Yes she is. And the Monogatari Series is a harem. With that said, it's actually one of the few good harems, and Senjougahara doesn't completely conform to the tsundere archetype.

No she is NOT and never was. But yes, it is a harem series.
Mar 24, 2015 2:06 PM

Aug 2014
Working_Designs said:
Dojourei said:

Well, she's certainly ugly, which is probably a good enough reason for me to never watch Bakemonogatari.

Your profile pic character looks like some weird animal.

Mar 24, 2015 2:06 PM

Apr 2014
no drop it its a trash anime that appeals to pseudo intellectual weebos who think its deep but dont realize its just an ecchi harem....also the studio behind it has no style wat so ever
Mar 24, 2015 2:07 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Working_Designs said:

Keyword: "Apparently." If you haven't watched the show, how can you judge it?

To answer the OP: It's worth a shot. Monogatari Series is not for everyone so you may not finds appealing. So watch the first 3-5 episodes and decide for yourself.

Mar 24, 2015 2:07 PM

Aug 2014
Episode 3 was the best confession ever.

Mar 24, 2015 2:08 PM

Nov 2014
Well, if you don't like to read too much, then no. The main focus of the show is people talking and witty dialogue, there are some fighting scenes from time to time but there are not the main point.

Also, Senjougahara isn't a tsundere.
Mar 24, 2015 2:10 PM

Jul 2014
aikaflip said:
Dojourei said:

If you wanna call her a tsundere, you might as well call her a yandere too.
She's just an original character imo

Mar 24, 2015 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
Working_Designs said:
I've never watched Bakemonogatari.
^This is a confirmed troll. You can stop responding now.

Yes, the show is worth picking up. It isn't in the top 30(?) for no reason. Like anything if you don't like it then just stop watching it. Pretty simple.
Mar 24, 2015 2:13 PM

Aug 2014
Hulohot said:
Well, if you don't like to read too much, then no. The main focus of the show is people talking and witty dialogue, there are some fighting scenes from time to time but there are not the main point.

Also, Senjougahara isn't a tsundere.

Talking with action spliced in is just the way I like it!

Mar 24, 2015 2:17 PM
Mar 2014
Fo-Fai said:
Working_Designs said:
I've never watched Bakemonogatari.

Yes, the show is worth picking up. It isn't in the top 30(?) for no reason. Like anything if you don't like it then just stop watching it. Pretty simple.

You mean it's not in the top 30 for a reason? Cause it's ranked 145.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5081/Bakemonogatari
Mar 24, 2015 2:18 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
John_h said:
Fo-Fai said:

He meant in terms of popularity. It ranks at #24 currently.

Mar 24, 2015 2:19 PM
Mar 2014
Vindstot said:
He meant in terms of popularity. It ranks at #24 currently.

Guess that makes SAO the best thing ever, then.
Mar 24, 2015 2:22 PM

Aug 2014
Sequel effect (monogatari season 2 is in the top 30). All the people who don't like it will only have watched season 1.

Mar 24, 2015 2:24 PM

Aug 2013
John_h said:
Fo-Fai said:

Yea you're right. I got it confused with monogatari series: second season which is sitting at 20 right now.

In my defense I did put a '?' after the 30.
Mar 24, 2015 2:31 PM
Mar 2014
Fo-Fai said:
Yea you're right. I got it confused with monogatari series: second season which is sitting at 20 right now.

No need to defend yourself, I merely wanted to point out that the Monogatari series isn't as universally acclaimed as you made it seem to be. The sequels have a rather easy time at getting a good rating, as (normal) people will obviously avoid to continue watching something they dislike. It's surely is popular, though.
Mar 24, 2015 2:32 PM

Apr 2014
John_h said:
Fo-Fai said:

No need to defend yourself, I merely wanted to point out that Monogatari isn't as critically acclaimed as you made it seem to be, the sequels have a rather easy time at getting a good rating, as (normal) people will obviously avoid to continue watching something they dislike.
u would be suprised

u know how many ppl hate sao but watched sao 2 knowing they will hate it
Mar 24, 2015 2:33 PM

Aug 2014
It is one of those things that appeal to a niece audience. It's like Marmite you either love it or hate it. I would also compare it to kara no kyoukai which is arguably amazing but most people don't enjoy it.

Mar 24, 2015 2:33 PM

Jun 2014
black1blade said:
Working_Designs said:

Your profile pic character looks like some weird animal.

Nozomi Mine is certainly better looking than whatever "That Thing" in your avatar is.

Vindstot said:
Working_Designs said:

Keyword: "Apparently." If you haven't watched the show, how can you judge it?.

How can I judge it? Let's see:

#1. I don't like the art style.
#2. The girls are ugly.

#3. And most importantly of all, I hate Harem Anime.

Now, if someone else wants to want it, I don't care, but it's clearly not something that "I" would like.

Mar 24, 2015 2:35 PM
Jul 2014
Okay so in between all the bickering I got some idea of what the show is like and I am definitely interested.

Final question: how does it hold up in comparisson to the somehat similar and highly praised Mawaru Penguindrum? Cause I am most certainly picking that up this month and I don't want to ruin a good show by watching it right after a better show.

This is btw no longer a question of "will I pick this up?" I will pick it up. The quenstion is more: will I pick it up now or at a later time.

Also: I kinda sorta really like Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu...
Mar 24, 2015 2:36 PM

Mar 2014
Boring and i hate all that blah blah about ghosts and vampire shit. And crabs?snails?, i mean like wtf.
But the Art, the animation i love it.
Oh abd the romantic part was kind of good.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ask.fm My blog about me Past forum sets ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Mar 24, 2015 2:40 PM

Nov 2014
Answering your question, i'd recommend watching Hitagi Crab (the first three chapters i think), if you don't like it after that you are not going to like the rest.

Is a show that i always recommend people to watch just for the sake of they watching it and telling me if they like it or they hate it.
Mar 24, 2015 2:42 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Working_Designs said:
Vindstot said:

Keyword: "Apparently." If you haven't watched the show, how can you judge it?.

#2. The girls are ugly.

Now, if someone else wants to want it, I don't care, but it's clearly not something that "I" would like.

I guess everyone has their own opinion, but you'll be missing out on some great stuff if you judge by the art style of a show. Ping Pong The Animation is a prime example.

Mar 24, 2015 2:49 PM

Jun 2014
Vindstot said:
Working_Designs said:

#2. The girls are ugly.

I guess everyone has their own opinion, but you'll be missing out on some great stuff if you judge by the art style of a show. Ping Pong The Animation is a prime example.

You don't know who I am, do you?

I'm that guy who prefers old school Anime, and only watches newer stuff in small doses. What you consider "Great Stuff" is likely not of interest to me at all.

Mar 24, 2015 2:52 PM

Dec 2013
Hulohot said:
Answering your question, i'd recommend watching Hitagi Crab (the first three chapters i think), if you don't like it after that you are not going to like the rest.

Is a show that i always recommend people to watch just for the sake of they watching it and telling me if they like it or they hate it.

Episode 3 has the most charm imo and it was the point where I knew that I'm going to love the series. First two episodes are pretty meh.
Mar 24, 2015 2:54 PM

Aug 2014
Working_Designs said:
Vindstot said:

I'm that guy who prefers old school Anime, and only watches newer stuff in small doses. What you consider "Great Stuff" is likely not of interest to me at all.

Then sentiment is shared. At least the new school and old school people can agree that eva and bebop are great.

Mar 24, 2015 2:55 PM

Jun 2014
black1blade said:
Working_Designs said:

Then sentiment is shared. At least the new school and old school people can agree that eva and bebop are great.

I have no interest in watching EVA or Bebop.

Mar 24, 2015 2:56 PM

Aug 2014
Working_Designs said:
black1blade said:

Well you should.

Mar 24, 2015 2:58 PM

Jun 2014
black1blade said:
Working_Designs said:

Well you should.

And you should watch Precure.

Mar 24, 2015 2:58 PM

May 2014
black EVA isnt GOOD it was just original .... thats why it got attention back in the days ....
Mar 24, 2015 3:00 PM

Nov 2014
I actually didn't like Hitagi Crab that much (maybe cause Senjougahara is probably my least favorite character of the series), to be honest the thing that got me into the series was Suruga Monkey, that's when i knew i'd like it.
Mar 24, 2015 3:00 PM

Aug 2014
I watched it last year and thought it was good (especially end)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

688 by JigglypuffSenpai »»
Yesterday, 4:04 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

29 by salarx »»
May 5, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

511 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 28, 11:14 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

6 by ichinose06 »»
Apr 27, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.