Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2015 10:14 AM

Aug 2013
When I was watching anime once upon a time, Black Lagoon first came out and it was a big fucking deal. “THE NEXT COWBOY BEBOP” They said. But that was like 8 or so years ago, WOW I’m an old fart. Anyway...

I stopped watching and then my brother picked it up a few years later. So I was in college by now, and I met this chill guy, and we got to talking about anime. I said that I really wasn’t on the Up&Up with the anime now a days but I said I overheard that my brother had been watching Black Lagoon and I thought that was cool. WRONG - apparently. This guy loled, “Dude, Black Lagoon!? That’s old - in the past, watch something new! Wtf!” I was a little (?) because it was only 3 yrs old. What was the difference I felt, I mean if you’re just starting out with anime and you want to watch a good show – it’s been out there for a while and has a reputation then why not? WRONG – apparently.

->I met this other guy just the other day right? About the same age as the other fellow. He says he can only watch 80’s to 90’s anime for the present anime all the same shit. For no anime has huge muscular chiseled men fighting for no apparent reason and has no hot defined big breasted women aka the original damsels in distress.

I feel, me, right now, here I am, a 5 year gap without anime: Personally I feel you can watch the oldest of anime (for example I’m watching Dragon Ball 1987 currently) to the newest stuff around (I’m also watching Tokyo root A - 2015.) Here it is > Does anyone have a super particular preference toward how they watch anime, are you racist to a particular time frame like these men? Thoughts

Feb 6, 2015 10:18 AM

Jun 2011
Why not both, why limit yourself. However, I am more fond of the older anime style compared to the newer ones.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 6, 2015 10:19 AM

Nov 2010
K

Racist to a particular time frame?

And no, I watch everything though most of what I watch is new partly because that's where most of the anime is made and it's what is presently coming out and garnering hype.
Feb 6, 2015 10:20 AM

Sep 2013
Black lagoon >> cowboy bebop, but I digress.

Idiots is what they are.
Feb 6, 2015 10:21 AM

Dec 2012
corruptanimelove said:
Black Lagoon first came out and it was a big fucking deal. “THE NEXT COWBOY BEBOP” They said

Yet, another reason why I shouldn't bother with bepoop.
Feb 6, 2015 10:23 AM

Feb 2013
I try my best to watch both newer and older stuff :^) There's a lot of good stuff from the 90's i'm discovering now; I want to have some experience with the 90's before starting more anime from the 80's (i have just 5 in my list)
Feb 6, 2015 10:25 AM

Jun 2011
tsudecimo said:
corruptanimelove said:
Black Lagoon first came out and it was a big fucking deal. “THE NEXT COWBOY BEBOP” They said

It's a really fun episodic adventure in space. At least give it a try before saying no. You could have missed out something you might love.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 6, 2015 10:31 AM

Aug 2013
Lancehot said:
corruptanimelove said:
So I was in college by now, and I met this chill guy, and we got to talking about anime.

I hear wedding bells

he was kinda terrifying, i knew he was a little off, and low and behold 6 month later he had a illegitimate child with some chick he met at a bar big surprise woopee

Feb 6, 2015 10:31 AM

Dec 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
tsudecimo said:

It's a really fun episodic adventure in space. At least give it a try before saying no. You could have missed out something you might love.

That applies to any anime. So not much of a point in thinking that.
Feb 6, 2015 10:32 AM

Feb 2010
corruptanimelove said:
When I was watching anime once upon a time, Black Lagoon first came out and it was a big fucking deal. “THE NEXT COWBOY BEBOP” They said. But that was like 8 or so years ago, WOW I’m an old fart. Anyway...

I stopped watching and then my brother picked it up a few years later. So I was in college by now, and I met this chill guy, and we got to talking about anime. I said that I really wasn’t on the Up&Up with the anime now a days but I said I overheard that my brother had been watching Black Lagoon and I thought that was cool. WRONG - apparently. This guy loled, “Dude, Black Lagoon!? That’s old - in the past, watch something new! Wtf!” I was a little (?) because it was only 3 yrs old. What was the difference I felt, I mean if you’re just starting out with anime and you want to watch a good show – it’s been out there for a while and has a reputation then why not? WRONG – apparently.

->I met this other guy just the other day right? About the same age as the other fellow. He says he can only watch 80’s to 90’s anime for the present anime all the same shit. For no anime has huge muscular chiseled men fighting for no apparent reason and has no hot defined big breasted women aka the original damsels in distress.

I feel, me, right now, here I am, a 5 year gap without anime: Personally I feel you can watch the oldest of anime (for example I’m watching Dragon Ball 1987 currently) to the newest stuff around (I’m also watching Tokyo root A - 2015.) Here it is > Does anyone have a super particular preference toward how they watch anime, are you racist to a particular time frame like these men? Thoughts

Both are clearly ignorant. Well, the first one might just be stupid but the second one is just misinformed. So many 80s anime getting adaptions or sequels/prequels these days, 2010 had a Space Cobra Season, there's the Saint Seiya OVA series, the Harlock Movie and most importantly JoJo. Space Dandy also kinda fits his description etc...

I've personally been watching anime from every decade since I value variety a lot.

I wouldn't call DBZ the 'oldest of anime' though. Compared to 80s stuff stuff from the 60s or 70s look visibly worse and less fluid in most cases. Imo animation quality made the biggest strides between the 70s and 80s. 80s stuff is easy to watch but considerably older series can sometimes even make me struggle with the visuals.

But on the other hand anime will never again be as fluent as in the 50s :>.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 6, 2015 10:33 AM

Aug 2014
I don't watch much stuff from the early 2000s

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 6, 2015 10:34 AM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
corruptanimelove said:

how is that a valid reason for anything
Feb 6, 2015 10:35 AM

Aug 2014
Bebop is amazing and I wasn't even alive when it came out.

Nov 2010
1910s is when anime was at its peak, no cute moe girls only old people and animals.

fst said:
It's tsunderecimo, it doesn't need to be valid. Just wanted a reason to bring up an anime he dislikes.

Nov 2014
It's smartphone culture. Many millennials believe that new is always better, and won't even give a cursory glance to anything older than a year or two. It's kind of sad because this kind of closed-mindedness tends to spill over into history. There are a lot of people who don't care about learning from the past, or appreciating the achievements that made today's art and technology possible.
Feb 6, 2015 10:39 AM

Dec 2012
fst said:
tsudecimo said:

I didn't like Black Lagoon?
and it doesn't need to be valid .-.
Feb 6, 2015 10:42 AM

Feb 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
tsudecimo said:

No use trying to convince someone when they already believe they'd dislike it
Feb 6, 2015 10:42 AM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
fst said:

k fine

Wait you didn't like Black Lagoon?

Feb 6, 2015 10:45 AM

Aug 2014
Bebop>lagoon imo

Feb 6, 2015 10:48 AM

Nov 2012
both are shit tbh
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Feb 6, 2015 10:56 AM

Dec 2012
fst said:
tsudecimo said:

k fine

Wait you didn't like Black Lagoon?

[ig]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/661/223/1d5.jpg[/img]

US action flicks is not my thing, bruh
tho Taken and other Liam movies > Black lagoon
Feb 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Jun 2014
corruptanimelove said:
racist to a particular time frame

I lol'ed

In answer to the question you posed I prefer newer animation to older animation but the animation to me isn't really a great determining factor for my enjoyment of the show. So while I am as you put it "racist" to old anime in that I prefer newer ones animation style I don't let if effect my enjoyment of an older series by too much.
Feb 6, 2015 11:30 AM

Apr 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
both are shit tbh
He actually has a point here, Sturgeon's Law confirmed this.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

14 by billybub »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

54 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

87 by Punkero »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.