Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2015 5:19 PM

Oct 2007
2015 Manga Reading Challenge

A new year usually comes with new resolutions for people and sometimes one of these is to read more. There are many lists and challenges around to catch up on books, but I tried looking and couldn't find one challenge that was only about manga reading, so I thought that I could compile my own list and do it, but it's not so much fun alone. So, I decided I could ask for help in the forums here.

A reading challenge can start with choosing a bunch of published works to read and then just reading them by yourself during the year (as a self-challenge), but some people create discussion posts to read together as a club and make lists with specific books or general guidelines to pick books to diversify a reading experience. An example of a book challenge can be found here.

The plan now is to make a 2015 Manga Reading Challenge that both manga avid readers and new manga readers can enjoy. I would like your help in compiling a list of items I could include in this challenge and invite MAL users to participate in completing the challenge once the list is done. I know this is a little "late" to start since most challenges are already compiled by January 1st, but better late than never!

First things first, how many items could we include? Usually book challenges include 12 (one per month) or 52 (one per week) but I think 12 is too low and 52 might be too high. I'm suggesting 25, is that too high or too low? Would you suggest another number?

As for items, I'd definitely want to have the following 4 below in the final list:
-Read a one-shot
-Read a manga with a target demographic that does not apply to you
-Read a manga with a target demographic that can apply to you
-Start and catch up on an on-going/publishing manga*

Items suggested by users so far (I'm adding all for now and then I'll trim it):

Those are only 4, so I'm taking suggestions for the rest, specific genres and other criteria can make the choosing process fun, so suggest away! As you can see these are general guidelines for participants to choose what manga to read instead of having a list of specific manga, this way 2 different people can participate in the challenge and read completely different stuff and still finish their lists/participate in discussions.

As for the length of manga itself, I think it would be OK to count 1 volume as enough to check off an item if it's a long-running series, except for the item above with the asterisk or the one-shot.

NOTE: Hentai/Yuri/Yaoi & ero-guro as genres will not be accepted as list items because of potential underage readers, but you can choose to read a manga from these genre if it fits another category from the list.
omakaseFeb 5, 2015 3:49 AM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 2015 7:10 PM

Aug 2009
I wouldn't mind participating. I have a lot of stuff in my PTR that I want to get to. I probably won't be reading anything too long/huge though, because of time restrictions.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 27, 2015 7:47 PM

Jun 2014
I wouldn't mind doing this.

Maybe some other items that could be added:
an award winning work
a manga set outside of an Asian country
a manga released before 2000
a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships
a manga with (non-magical) animals
a manga outside of your comfort zone

25 might be an okay number.
Jan 27, 2015 8:52 PM

Apr 2013
I think this is a pretty interesting idea, and would love to try the challenge myself..

Maybe adding stuff like:

a manga about food
a manga about sports
a manga about school
a manga about music

25 seems just fine..
Jan 28, 2015 2:40 AM

Oct 2007
@battosai-01

Yeah, that's OK. That's why I added a note that one volume per each item could be enough to consider the item done except for catching up to an ongoing series, but you could choose to read something that doesn't have much time publishing and therefore less chapters.

@dream_eater1012

These are some pretty good suggestions! I'll be adding them. Thanks!

Question though, for the manga set outside of an Asian country, should we have a note that alternative worlds don't count (that is, in this world and not a fantasy or AU one)?

@HeNrYTG50

Thanks for your suggestions! I added them to the potential list.

@Ana-

These are very good suggestions, though I think including the one with 100 chapters might be too much? I'll include the rest for now and if other people agree with having the item with 100+, then I'll add it.

Mod Edit: Merged triple post.
KinetaJan 29, 2015 12:33 AM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 28, 2015 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
I think 25 is enough! I'd like to suggest the following:
-A historical manga
-A manga with children in it
-A compilation from one author or different authors. (Sort of like robot! I hope this one makes sense)

Can't wait to see the finished list! I'd like to ask, by the way, if manga we've read this year before this challenge showed up counts for it or of it's required to start in 0. Either way I'll participate, but I want to make sure.
Jan 28, 2015 12:19 PM

Feb 2010
I gave it some though, and what about:

- A manga from the 70s/80s/90s each
- A manga of an anime original franchise/series
- A manga by Osamu Tezuka
- A manga that is licensed in your home country (idk, are there countries with no licensed manga at all?)
- Re-reading a manga
- Read and review and manga that doesn't have any reviews on MAL
- A webmanga
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 28, 2015 1:13 PM

Oct 2007
matori said:
I think 25 is enough! I'd like to suggest the following:
-A historical manga
-A manga with children in it
-A compilation from one author or different authors. (Sort of like robot! I hope this one makes sense)

Can't wait to see the finished list! I'd like to ask, by the way, if manga we've read this year before this challenge showed up counts for it or of it's required to start in 0. Either way I'll participate, but I want to make sure.

Thanks for the suggestions. For now I'll be adding all suggestions and then I'll try it a bit. As for your question, well it's a 2015 reading challenge so if you read anything before that applies to the list, you can include it if you want, but if you'd rather start from zero, that's fine too. It's up to the reader, really.

Ana- said:
I think we should and simply add "read a fantasy manga" to the list.

Added to the list for now!

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I gave it some though, and what about:

- A manga from the 70s/80s/90s each
- A manga of an anime original franchise/series
- A manga that is licensed in your home country (idk, are there countries with no licensed manga at all?)
- Re-reading a manga
- Read and review and manga that doesn't have any reviews on MAL
- A webmanga

Thanks for your suggestions! I've added them to the list but now we're over the 25 items, so we'll probably have to trim some. As for the licensed manga, I modified your suggestion a little to try to make it more inclusive, maybe. Well, my country doesn't have any licensing companies, but they have imported manga from a country that does.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 28, 2015 1:17 PM

Jun 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
Question though, for the manga set outside of an Asian country, should we have a note that alternative worlds don't count (that is, in this world and not a fantasy or AU one)?

I was thinking more along the lines of fantasy worlds counting, but only if they don't seem to be strongly influenced by Asian culture.
Jan 28, 2015 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

- Re-reading a manga

- I really can't agree with suggesting an specific author because, even though I know Tezuka's works have high relevance in the manga scene, I don't think it's 'free' enough for a challenge.

- My country doesn't have any licensed manga, sadly ):

- I also would really prefer not re-reading a manga because I'd rather use that time to read something new. If this makes it to the final list, I'll probably pick something short and that's it.
Jan 28, 2015 1:49 PM

Jul 2014
matori said:
- I really can't agree with suggesting an specific author because, even though I know Tezuka's works have high relevance in the manga scene, I don't think it's 'free' enough for a challenge.

- My country doesn't have any licensed manga, sadly ):

I must agree. A certain author or a limiting topic like food and music (there're not too many titles about it) are not a very good choice.
And in some countries there're few licenced manga or none at all.

If there's fantasy, there should be sci-fi.

Read a sci-fi manga.

Maybe also:

Read a slice of life manga.
Read a debut manga.
Read another manga of one of the authors, whose work you've read for this challenge.
Jan 28, 2015 2:27 PM

Apr 2013
matori said:

I must agree. A certain author or a limiting topic like food and music (there're not too many titles about it) are not a very good choice.

There are a lot of good manga about food and music imo, sure, maybe not 100 to choose from, but at least like, 30?

tsuyokunaru said:

Thanks for your suggestions! I've added them to the list but now we're over the 25 items, so we'll probably have to trim some.

About this, I was thinking more along the lines of having more items than needed, so you could choose the 25 you wanted, if you really don't want to read about food for example, you could read a fantasy manga, or if you didn't want to read a webmanga, you could read something from the 70's instead, something like that, and that way you would be checking the ones you complete, and it would have more variety..

Either way, trimming is necessary for other purposes, such as keeping it interesting to complete. And sure maybe not 25 exactly, but not 50, like keeping it to 35 and you can choose your 25 from there, how about it?

But if you must, I don't think having just 25 to complete the challenge is a bad thing, just saying what came to mind.. :)

And on another note, I would love to continue this thread with posts about what each user chose to complete his/her list, like:

One-shot: Koe no Katachi http://myanimelist.net/manga/48621/Koe_no_Katachi
Food: Kyou, Curry! http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=34245
Manhwa: Noblesse http://myanimelist.net/manga/29983/Noblesse

and so on.. :D so if you really liked a genre, or item, you can browse for more of the same in others' lists.. or comment on their choice and the like.

Mod Edit: Merged double posts.
KinetaJan 29, 2015 12:34 AM
Jan 28, 2015 2:41 PM

Dec 2012
Sounds awesome, I'm in. Will think of ideas later, lol.
Jan 28, 2015 2:46 PM
Oct 2011
Sounds good. I will think about it ;o
Jan 28, 2015 3:16 PM

Oct 2007
dream_eater1012 said:
I was thinking more along the lines of fantasy worlds counting, but only if they don't seem to be strongly influenced by Asian culture.

Thanks for clearing that up.

deadoptimist said:
If there's fantasy, there should be sci-fi.

Read a sci-fi manga.

Maybe also:

Read a slice of life manga.
Read a debut manga.
Read another manga of one of the authors, whose work you've read for this challenge.

I'll take yours and matori's comments into consideration when trimming the list. Obviously agreeing with sci-fi and debut, the last one seems a bit convoluted or maybe repetitive, but I'll add it for now.

I was considering maybe grouping genres, too and the reader can choose (for example read a horror, sci-fi or fantasy manga) though I'm not sure how good an idea it can be.

HeNrYTG50 said:

About this, I was thinking more along the lines of having more items than needed, so you could choose the 25 you wanted, if you really don't want to read about food for example, you could read a fantasy manga, or if you didn't want to read a webmanga, you could read something from the 70's instead, something like that, and that way you would be checking the ones you complete, and it would have more variety...

Either way, trimming is necessary for other purposes, such as keeping it interesting to complete. And sure maybe not 25 exactly, but not 50, like keeping it to 35 and you can choose your 25 from there, how about it?

But if you must, I don't think having just 25 to complete the challenge is a bad thing, just saying what came to mind.. :)

This idea is pretty genius actually! It would make the process of choosing easier or more challenging depending on which list items participants select.

Hmm. What about something like a list and then different difficulties? Easy if you choose 12 or 15, then medium for 20 to 25, hard for 30 to 35 and then 40 to 50 for insane or something?

As for your suggestion to continue discussion with what users can choose, there will actually be another thread once the list is done (this was previously discussed with forum moderators) with guidelines for participants to share what they're reading and for people to ask for recs and discuss, and so on.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 28, 2015 8:09 PM

Apr 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

Hmm. What about something like a list and then different difficulties? Easy if you choose 12 or 15, then medium for 20 to 25, hard for 30 to 35 and then 40 to 50 for insane or something?

As for your suggestion to continue discussion with what users can choose, there will actually be another thread once the list is done (this was previously discussed with forum moderators) with guidelines for participants to share what they're reading and for people to ask for recs and discuss, and so on.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think it should be a unified challenge without different difficulties, but if you and others think that's fine then I have no problem.. :) I would probably end up doing the insane one just for fun, so nothing to complain about.. xD

And about the discussion, that's great! Good job thinking ahead, I hope we can all make this work out..
Jan 28, 2015 8:12 PM

Dec 2013
Sounds interesting, but i'm not sure how this will work...
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 29, 2015 2:33 AM

Oct 2007
Ana- said:

I agree with adding "read a manga by Osamu Tezuka." It's not like we're adding a random author, but we're adding the person who is considered the Father of Manga. I'd consider that quite befitting for a manga challenge.

To be honest, I agree too so I'll probably leave it in the final list as well. I think his contribution is something to keep in mind. With HeNrYTG50's suggestion it would be possible to have it as an option and users who disagree can just choose something else.

HeNrYTG50 said:
I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think it should be a unified challenge without different difficulties, but if you and others think that's fine then I have no problem.. :) I would probably end up doing the insane one just for fun, so nothing to complain about.. xD

And about the discussion, that's great! Good job thinking ahead, I hope we can all make this work out..

Yeah, I slept on it and it seems waaay too complicated for a second post and discussion, etc. so I'll just do the original 25 from a bigger list. I'll still take suggestions for a couple more days and then I'll have the final list.

PriestSlayer said:
Sounds interesting, but i'm not sure how this will work...

What do you mean how it'll work out? In the next thread once the list is done, users will be able to sign up and choose the items they want to complete and then they can talk about their progress. Whoever completes theirs can get like a banner or something.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 29, 2015 3:41 AM

Jun 2007
I like the sound of this, looks like a good way of trying out different manga I wouldn't have thought about reading otherwise :)
Jan 29, 2015 8:19 AM

Dec 2013
@tsuyokunaru i see.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 29, 2015 8:37 AM

Feb 2010
Ana- said:

I agree with adding "read a manga by Osamu Tezuka." It's not like we're adding a random author, but we're adding the person who is considered the Father of Manga. I'd consider that quite befitting for a manga challenge.

Yeah that was my thinking too. I wouldn't suggest it with any other author, but I figured if expanding your horizons was part of the reason for the challenge, I should try and squeeze in Tezuka since he's just THE guy any manga fan should know of.
Plus he's not really a genre artist, and his works probably offer more as much if not more variety to pick from than some of the other items, even though it's a limited selection in terms of total numbers.

Of course if the majority is against it that's that, but I'd much rather have more 'specific' items like that than just tons of individual genre/theme items which are both kinda boring and predictable if you ask me. I already know which genres I like and which I don't so I'd personally welcome more specific or complex items. Not sure I'd be motivated if half the list is just a list of popular genres. But that's just me.

On another note, I'd suggest to change the 'A manga rated above 7 on MAL' Item to something like 'above 8 or 8.5' since I think the vast majority of manga on MAL is rated above 7 (the average rating is almost 8 after all). Of course that's in line with my thinking of making items a bit more specific so if you disagree with that I'd understand it.

I do like the idea of different difficulties we came up with. That would also allow for a larger number of total list items and everyone can just try and see how many they can manage (aka which difficulty they canc omplete). That sounds fun.

e: I'll try and see how far I can take the challenge without reading any scanlations. Along those lines I have a question: Is it enough if I catch up with the german (or english) release to count that item as completed? Otherwise it's not possible without scanlations, which would be a shame for my plans :>.
AlcoholicideJan 29, 2015 8:43 AM
Jan 29, 2015 9:45 AM

Oct 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Of course if the majority is against it that's that, but I'd much rather have more 'specific' items like that than just tons of individual genre/theme items which are both kinda boring and predictable if you ask me.

Thank you for bringing this up, I wasn't exactly sure how to go about genres. If I go with the multi-difficulty list, then I'll add more of those to make the list bigger (although suggestions have sort of stopped for now), but for now I'll keep this in mind.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
e: I'll try and see how far I can take the challenge without reading any scanlations. Along those lines I have a question: Is it enough if I catch up with the german (or english) release to count that item as completed? Otherwise it's not possible without scanlations, which would be a shame for my plans :>.

As I mentioned in the original post, I think it'd be OK to consider one book/tankobon/volume as enough to complete an item except for something in the list with specific chapter counts (like something with 50+ chapters or catch up on something publishing), so you could use stuff from your own or a public library or so if you choose to.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 29, 2015 12:33 PM

Feb 2010
tsuyokunaru said:

As I mentioned in the original post, I think it'd be OK to consider one book/tankobon/volume as enough to complete an item except for something in the list with specific chapter counts (like something with 50+ chapters or catch up on something publishing), so you could use stuff from your own or a public library or so if you choose to.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was talking about the 'catch up with an ongoing manga' item in particular since it's listed as an exception but the licensed releases will never be completely up to date.
Jan 29, 2015 2:19 PM

Oct 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was talking about the 'catch up with an ongoing manga' item in particular since it's listed as an exception but the licensed releases will never be completely up to date.

It'd be OK to use licensed releases as the up-to-date point because in a way some people might use scanlations as their up-to-date point but the latest chapter scanlated into whatever language might not be the latest released in Japan, so I think it's only fair to accept this, too.

It's a bit of a technicality, but since I want the challenge to be inclusive and mostly about reading a bunch of different things, I think it's OK to be lenient about it.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 29, 2015 4:15 PM

Jul 2014
I want to join, but I don't know if I'll be able to with my work... By the way - I haven't done a challenge like this before, so could you, please, explain me, in which form are the discussions usually conducted.
Jan 29, 2015 5:28 PM

Mar 2010
Im in O/

Read a Yonkoma (4-Panel).
Jan 29, 2015 7:59 PM

Nov 2010
deadoptimist said:
I want to join, but I don't know if I'll be able to with my work... By the way - I haven't done a challenge like this before, so could you, please, explain me, in which form are the discussions usually conducted.
The same for me. Also, anyone knows if there is an anime challenge too?
Jan 30, 2015 12:25 AM

Jul 2014
Sounds fun. My suggestion:

Re-read the lengthiest manga in your list
Jan 30, 2015 12:46 AM

Oct 2014
I don't get this.
irumaisbabyJan 30, 2015 12:52 AM
Jan 30, 2015 2:59 AM

Oct 2007
Ranoom said:
Im in O/

Read a Yonkoma (4-Panel).

I added it to the list for now! Thanks for the suggestion!

WarlockAppa said:

I added it for now! Thank you for the suggestion!

Kinkara said:
deadoptimist said:
The same for me. Also, anyone knows if there is an anime challenge too?

Well, most of the challenge is possibly done on one's on. When I've done them before, I haven't participated in most of the discussions (these can be done in forums like this in Goodreads) and people fill out sign up forms (well do this in the next thread) and then they have their lists and fill them out/cross out items as they finish. Some people take time to recommend something they read and others can ask for recommendations in items they don't have a lot of knowledge for.

Here we have the very practical spoiler tags so people can keep their lists in the same thread and if they say they read something and liked it, another user can chime in with their opinion if they had previously read it/are reading it. It's mostly something like reading on your own and then discussing it like it's done here, but with the challenge of how to pick what to read added.

I haven't seen an anime challenge, but I didn't go looking for it. Someone might one to compile one, too?

Sherlockeb said:
I don't get this.

OK. Do you have any specific questions that I can answer?
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 30, 2015 7:38 AM

Apr 2013
WarlockAppa said:

I don't want to re-read Hajime no Ippo.. :'(
That's equivalent to all the other challenges combined.. xD
Jan 30, 2015 1:43 PM

Mar 2009
Sounds fun so count me in c:

Though...
WarlockAppa said:

Please not that one. That would be totall torture, haha. Most would surely fail the challenge.

And I also have a suggestion - Read a manga recommended by another Manga Reading Challenge participant.
That would add a bit more interaction between everybody and reading another users opinion about a manga that you recommended them could be interesting c:
Jan 30, 2015 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
Will we quote the list of challenges and put wich manga we did by it side of the challenge completed?

Or is it more like a personal challenge where you have the list as an help for your aims?
Jan 30, 2015 2:21 PM

Feb 2010
Ashi-nyan said:
Sounds fun so count me in c:

Though...
WarlockAppa said:

Please not that one. That would be totall torture, haha. Most would surely fail the challenge.

Yeah, not a fan of that one either, especially since it is extremely specific and basically forces you to read one particular manga. People already found one author to be too specific so this one is probably not gonna have too many fans either. There should at least be some element of free selection to each challenge in my opinion.
Jan 30, 2015 7:26 PM

Mar 2010
WarlockAppa said:

One piece here we go.
Jan 31, 2015 3:52 AM

May 2013
Please no re-read. It's time-wasting and there's almost no benefit we can get from it.
Jan 31, 2015 4:52 AM

Oct 2007
Ashi-nyan said:
And I also have a suggestion - Read a manga recommended by another Manga Reading Challenge participant.
That would add a bit more interaction between everybody and reading another users opinion about a manga that you recommended them could be interesting c:

I like this one a lot and the intention behind it, so I'm adding it! I'll scrap the re-read lengthiest manga for the final list considering your comments.

Ranoom said:

One piece here we go.

OMG exactly my thoughts. I love One Piece, but it was hard enough reading it the first time around......

riqueterremoto said:
Will we quote the list of challenges and put wich manga we did by it side of the challenge completed?

Or is it more like a personal challenge where you have the list as an help for your aims?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'm guessing you mean if you'll have to/be able to share your progress? I think it'll be up to the users.

I'll have a sign up form and users who sign up for the challenge will have to share their lists and progress (for example you post your list in the form under a spoiler tag and then edit it as you complete stuff and you will have to add what you read and so on), but if someone wants to grab the list and use it as a guide for a personal challenge and not sign up, I cannot control that, really.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 31, 2015 5:56 AM

Jul 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
I'll scrap the re-read lengthiest manga for the final list considering your comments.

Wow that got shot down easily. Oh well, considering my intentions were evil better scratch that one haha.

Can I give a suggestion regarding the challenges if you don't mind? How about putting levels on each item like easy, medium, hard or anything similar?
For example: Read a one-shot. Easy be like complete the task, medium would be write a review of it, hard would be get 5-10 helpful votes or something along those lines. I know it's tasking to keep track of it but it would give a sense of accomplishment for the reader and the read will be worthwhile in my opinion.
Jan 31, 2015 6:58 AM

Jul 2014
Hm, I hope there will be communication. OP, do you plan to make a club or a thread for it?

I like when bloggers write about their challenges, but it's not for everyone. I don't think that I'd be able to keep up myself... But if someone can, I'd be happy to read it.
Jan 31, 2015 7:53 AM

Dec 2012
I would love to join. I'm always up to reading more manga.

I agree with Tenkzu manga, because he is not a random author, and I always wanted to read one of his works.

Also please no to re-reading.
Jan 31, 2015 1:20 PM

Apr 2014
Read a horror manga
Jan 31, 2015 10:15 PM

May 2013
lkjhgf911 said:
Read a horror manga

This. Although I admit this would be tough for me.
Feb 1, 2015 4:11 AM

Oct 2007
WarlockAppa said:
Can I give a suggestion regarding the challenges if you don't mind? How about putting levels on each item like easy, medium, hard or anything similar?
For example: Read a one-shot. Easy be like complete the task, medium would be write a review of it, hard would be get 5-10 helpful votes or something along those lines. I know it's tasking to keep track of it but it would give a sense of accomplishment for the reader and the read will be worthwhile in my opinion.

Your suggestion is interesting, but it'd be too much to keep track of for me. I propose that you invite users who sign up to the challenge to do this if they want as a sub-challenge organized by you in the same thread.

deadoptimist said:
Hm, I hope there will be communication. OP, do you plan to make a club or a thread for it?

I like when bloggers write about their challenges, but it's not for everyone. I don't think that I'd be able to keep up myself... But if someone can, I'd be happy to read it.

There will be a thread for discussion after the list is compiled. Yes. I don't think there's need for a club though. The point is for users who sign up to talk about their progress.

lkjhgf911 said:
Read a horror manga

Thanks for your suggestion. It was added.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Feb 2, 2015 5:37 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
First of all, I really want to thank you tsuyokunaru for coming up with this idea and taking the initiative to organise it. It really sounds like a lot of fun and I'd love to participate!

I hope it's not too troublesome if I give my two-cents on some of the items in the list.

As for items, I'd definitely want to have the following 4 below in the final list:
-Read a one-shot
[...]
-Start and catch up on an on-going/publishing manga*

Both of these items go against how I currently organise my list and choose what to read. I have 40+ series that have been stuck on my on-hold list for years because the scanlations/licenses stopped or because a one-shot I read was merged into a volume/series for which the other chapters were not available. Sadly, some of them will likely never leave there (until the day I can read them in Japanese or drop them). Because of this, I no longer start ongoing series, or even completed series until I know for certain they are obtainable in their entirety. Perhaps it sounds silly, but I really dislike having a large on-hold list and these two items would be a bit like nails on a chalkboard for me since I'd be adding to the list I'm trying to eliminate...

Perhaps the challenge list could be longer than 25, say more like 30, and users could choose which 25 they would like to do? Since I'm sure there will be other things that some people will have problems with based on their own personal circumstances; for example, the "native language" item. (Perhaps this was suggested in another post, but I didn't see it.)
Feb 2, 2015 5:57 AM
Aug 2011
Read a manga by Kago Shintaro
Feb 2, 2015 8:21 AM

Apr 2014
Ana- said:
laikawa36 said:
Read a manga by Kago Shintaro
...let's not.

huhuhu...yup I don't think It would be a good idea , not everybody is wiling to loose his/her manga virginity in a violent way ^^ .
But I see the point with this , one of the big interest of this "reading challenge" seems (to me at least) to be pushing people to leave their confort zone of reading , for exemple like it was suggested : "Read a manga with a target demographic that does not apply to you" . "Reading a horror manga" is also a good exemple for some people . "Read a manga outside of your comfort zone" was added to the item list , and I agree with it wholeheartedly , but I find it also too vague...wouldn't it be better if it could be "fragmented" ?

My point is , "reading a ero guro manga" could be an interesting item for exemple , but since I understand it could be a little too much for some people...why not adding some sort of "obtional objectives" containing those sort of reading sugestion ?

In any case , I find the idea of this challenge very interesting , I'm the sort of guy who need to have something to push them to read/watching things most of the time , and it's an exellent way to do that .

Looking at the item list , I find it pretty good , but it make me wondering also..."Read and review a manga that doesn't have any reviews on MAL" is a very nice idea , but it's not the easiest thing to find , no ? I mean , how to search one effectively on MAL database on our own ? The same for "Read a yonkoma (4-panel) manga" . Will it be planned to make a vast "reading sugestion list" to help people find them more easily ?

Could the "re-read a manga" and "re-read your lengthiest manga" be dropped ? I don't find the idea appealing at all , and even a little against the idea of this challenge , which is doing discoveries , no ? Just sayin'

As a final note , I find the idea of making a club for this event appealing . In my mind , it would make the experience more enjoyable and lively ( just an idea : every member could have his own thread to post his progress and to help people talk with him specificaly , making it more "clean" for people to talk than it would be on a single general thread) . Making it a club wouldn't mean to be selective , it would just make a more enjoyable community of reader around this Challenge idea (at least I think so) .
DullboyFeb 2, 2015 8:34 AM
Feb 2, 2015 8:45 AM
Jan 2015
huumm o.o sounds fun *-* count me in !!!!
ps: re-reading is just a waste of time ._. im not doing this one
saruobiFeb 2, 2015 9:51 AM
Since i always win .. I am always right...
Feb 2, 2015 11:45 AM

Apr 2013
Kineta said:
Perhaps the challenge list could be longer than 25, say more like 30, and users could choose which 25 they would like to do?

It was suggested before (by me.. xD) and tsuyokunaru said it was a good idea, so I think it will be implemented.. :)
Feb 2, 2015 12:11 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
HeNrYTG50 said:
Kineta said:
Perhaps the challenge list could be longer than 25, say more like 30, and users could choose which 25 they would like to do?

It was suggested before (by me.. xD) and tsuyokunaru said it was a good idea, so I think it will be implemented.. :)

Ah great, I must've skimmed over that... but thought it would have been strange if it wasn't already suggested. Sorry and thanks! I didn't have lots of time this afternoon.
Feb 2, 2015 2:45 PM

Oct 2007
@laikawa36
I want to keep this as open to underage readers as possible, so I don't think I will add this one. Sorry. You can read one by this author if you choose to participate and it fits another item, but I can't include it.

@Dullboy
You make a lot of interesting comments. I will have to reject ero-guro because of underage readers, even if they are in a list where people will select what to read, but inviting to read this can be misunderstood. I'm intrigued by your mentioned of fragmented. I also think I need to improve the idea of going out of your comfort zone, but I don't know how to make it better.

I am reluctant to make a club now because it's my first time doing something like this and I want to keep it as simple as possible, but if many people show interest once sign ups begin, it could be discussed. There will be space in the thread for people to ask for recommendations in genres/items they don't have a lot of knowledge of, so I think that you could ask for recs there.

Kineta said:
HeNrYTG50 said:

Ah great, I must've skimmed over that... but thought it would have been strange if it wasn't already suggested. Sorry and thanks! I didn't have lots of time this afternoon.

Yes, it will be implemented. Don't worry about not having read it, I'm happy enough you offered some feedback. I'm waiting for a couple more suggestions in case I get more interesting items. There will be some scrapped from the list because of feedback from users and then I think I might have less than 30 items.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

18 by Maou_heika »»
46 minutes ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - Yesterday

1 by codelyok13 »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1044 by codelyok13 »»
3 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

18 by Chuckiemuffin »»
Yesterday, 9:56 PM

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.