Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2009 2:16 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Horrible movie. This is what you get from animating shit that's originally a game.
Dec 13, 2009 10:42 AM

Nov 2009
Anyone that never played the game wouldn't find the humor in the anime. Being one of (if not the first) 2d rpg computer games for the Apple IIE (PC version came much much later) it was an nostalgic trick back to the roots of PC gaming.
Jan 3, 2016 2:06 PM

Nov 2009
Wow, I didn't expect that this movie would be so highly underrated. I enjoyed it tremendously! And I haven't ever played the game. Moreover, I haven't even heard of it before. I just love fantasy setting and rpg themes - and this OVA contains that in an epic level. There were humor, emotions, suspense, drama and epic-ness. It was too short though which made it hard for better character development. But we have to keep in mind that it's one of the old-school productions so there's no place to compare it with today's productions.
May 14, 2016 9:51 AM

Dec 2015
It was an almost perfect rendition of the original, true it was lacking story-wise but it is mainly due to the game too. Nevertheless, this little dungeon visit was entertaining enough thanks to its format. The big "but" for me would be the poor drawings: the style / design itself goes well with the genre and location but in a 50min stand-alone or promotional OAV, there should be no place for so much bad pictures.

5/10 (it does what it promised)

Enjoyment: 2.5/5.
Sep 10, 2017 8:22 AM

Jul 2017
I really liked this. The dark dungeon, the mysterious spells, and the party's motivation, originally just to gain treasure, were a perfect fit for the classic style of D&D that you don't see often now outside of OSR stuff. The characters were pretty cool, and I loved that the ninja was named Hawkwind. Shin was a little cliche, Sheer was pretty cool, and I loved the design of the Vampire Lord. It gave me some ideas for my own RPG games. Too bad they never did another.
Dec 13, 2018 3:50 PM

Sep 2018
I don't really understand why the hate for this one. I'm not really a fan of the game franchise, like at all, I really can't stand it to be honest. But I found this very enjoyable. Yes, the characters aren't very developed, but in all honesty what do you expect in an hour long OVA where the real focus is sword fighting and magic. It does what it's supposed to do, which is be a fun 50 minutes that I guess from what people here say, stays close to the game. Why does it have to be anything more? Also, I don't understand what people mean when they go on about the supposedly poor artwork, I mean it's nothing special and a bit generic, but it's not actually offensive to look at.
KristiwazhereDec 13, 2018 3:55 PM
Dec 8, 2019 11:48 AM

Nov 2015
my only complain is that if they retrieve the thing that protected the king from evil? if it was the medallion. then just crappy.

💢

Dec 16, 2019 6:26 PM

May 2013
I genuinely enjoyed this. Like it wasn't the best thing ever but it was straight to the point and really fun.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Aug 2, 2020 9:26 AM
May 2016
Pretty decent, cool fights, tight story. The characters (and names , Randy?) were a little meh but nice to see a powerful female fighter who isn't just over sexualized eye candy. Interesting to see an early precursor of stuff like "Pick up Girls in a Dungeon".
Mar 7, 4:51 PM

Aug 2017
I liked it, too bad it was only one OVA, I felt bad for Joeza,
I'll give it a 7, I enjoyed it.
(I loved the Hulk Hogan cameo)
DekomMar 8, 5:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.