Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 5, 2014 8:26 PM

Nov 2012
So I'm going to have about $800 saved up to purchase some consoles and video games in February of next year (2015). I'm trying to decide which consoles to get. I've already determined I'm not buying more than 2 new consoles because I want to support them with games to go with them upon purchase. I'm buying the consoles new and not used.

Right now I have :

- Ps4
- Ps2
- X-Box (Original Microsoft X-Box from 2001)
- MacBook Pro 13'' (Model released summer 2012). (It sucks for playing games barely emu gamecube)

I was thinking I could either take the playstation route and get Ps3 and Vita, or get WiiU and 3DSXL by taking the nintedo route (I'd probably get around 2-3 full priced games for both new consoles). FOr some reason I have difficulty deciding which pair to get.. There are a great deal of games for both consoles I'm interested in. I will say I enjoy RPGS the most as my favorite genre of games and 2nd favorite being fighitng games, although I like playing all sorts of games.

Which option would you chose? Why?

I guess I could add third option not buy the handheld console and just buy more games for Ps4 and WiiUorPs3

Current Games I Own for Ps2:

- SSX
- Devil May Cry 1-3
- Valkyrie Profile 2
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Final Fantasy 12
- Dragon Quest 8
- Dark Cloud 1
(do not own any ps1 games besides "Jete Motto 2" lol)

Current Ps4 games

(no physical games)
- Dust: An Elysian Tale
- Velocity 2.0

With the Ps4 I'm just mainly waiting on specific titles to come out like Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, The Order, The Witcher, FInal Fantasy Type 0 being the main ones. Ps4 has a decent # of games out now but not too many of them interest me.

I don't use my original X box much anymore besides occasionally playing my friend in Soul Calibur 2.

My Ps2 I use the most right now I'm playing Dragon Quest 8. I haven't beaten any of the ps2 games I listed above yet except I did beat Final Fantasy 12.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have PSPLus

EDIT EDIT: I Forgot to mention since my laptop sucks ass for gaming I guess I could incude buying a Windows PC as an option. I already have a computer monitor. I don;t know much about PC games or building PCs honestly. My Macbook is great for watching anime/surfing web/watching online videos/doing schoolwork , its just not suited for playing video games.
midnightbladeNov 5, 2014 8:58 PM
Nov 5, 2014 8:50 PM

Sep 2007
3DS, PS3, or a PC
Nov 5, 2014 8:56 PM

Jan 2013
This is actually a very difficult question.

Just gonna say, there's going to be a new 3DS model called

New 3DS and it will have the software to run games from the Wii. If you want a 3DS, I'd wait for the New 3DS. Personally I'd go for the nintendo route because there aren't that many new games out for the PS4 that are good yet

PeenusWeenusCaimNov 5, 2014 9:03 PM
Nov 5, 2014 9:45 PM

Dec 2013
I would go with the PS vita, PS3 combo if you are a fan of JRPGS they both have a really good selection of RPGS.
Nov 5, 2014 10:20 PM

May 2010
You're going to get so much enjoyment out of Nintendo if you go the Nintendo route. Though, a PS3 is a good investment if you get the many good PS3 titles.

Nintendoland is funner than you think. Fire Emblem Awakening. SMASH BROS. I honestly have more Wii U games than I have PS4 games. PS4 has like... Metal Gear Solid, which is multi-plat minus Nintendo.

The new Zelda they're working on looks sweet.

Forget PS Vita. If you have the extra cash you may as well get it, but think of it like a PSP that you can't mod to download games on.
Nov 5, 2014 10:34 PM

Aug 2012
I already have the Wii U and 3DS, I'm plannng on getting the Xbox One sooner then I get the Ps4 because Halo.

I think you should go Wii U + Ps4 since you'll get a nice variety of games with those two.
???????
Nov 5, 2014 10:37 PM

Jul 2013
3DS and Wii U for now at least. Those consoles have been getting a lot of hype recently with SSB4 and Pokemon ORAS.
Nov 5, 2014 11:19 PM

Feb 2010
Do you ever own a DS? If no, 3ds will be a top pick.

The PS3 vs Wii U is harder to decide. It depends if you like Nintendo first party efforts and collaborations or if you like Japanese third party games.
Nov 6, 2014 12:21 AM

Oct 2012
Vita library has gotten pretty damn awesome, theres a ton of unique games mostly new IPs. I've only played my 3DS once after getting my Vita and it was to play Devil Survivor. As for the consoles anyone who is into anime is more likely to be interested in jrpgs more than Mario 43, Zelda 20 etc. Meaning Sony Route.
Nov 6, 2014 3:20 AM

Mar 2012
If you like Japanese stuff, go for the PS3 and Vita. I only recommend the Nintendo consoles if you're really interested in stuff like Zelda, Pokemon, Mario and Smash Bros. because if you're not you'll have a really hard time finding good games.
Nov 6, 2014 3:35 AM

May 2014
save it for the new 3DS and upcoming PS4 games
Nov 6, 2014 4:36 AM

Nov 2012
Good point Seibaa priest.. I'm more interested in RPGs than most Nintendo flagship game series like mario zelda and stuff. But it should be also noted I simply haven't tried out any of the nintendo franchises besides Fire Emblem recently (Awakening by friends 3ds and Path of Radiance by emu) and then Mario a long ass time ago (SNES). The only nintedo franchise I can say I love is Super Smash Bros, which the new game is coming out very soon :P

I mean If I want to get technical, the king console of RPGS is the pS1/Ps2 that I already have. But I still want to get another modern console besdies the Ps4.

I'm getting Galaxy Note 4 for Christmas if that helps any of you. If I can find some decent rpg ish or action games for it then I might care a lot less about the handheld route, since that phone can have a hell of a lot of space and has a monster processor and really good screen resolution. Just doesn't have buttons like d pad, analog , or action buttons I guess.
Nov 6, 2014 12:59 PM

Nov 2012
Just got back from gamestop just browsing around for every console they had.. I was not impressed at all by the 3DS , Vita, or Ps4 library. WiiU has a few cool games including smash coming out, they have a shit ton of PS3 games but not too many exciting looking rpgs for it unless I missed em. I already played the elder scrolls games, tales of xillia, tales of graces F, both fallouts, both dragon ages too.

Looks like the nintedo option is winning in the polls.. If I do go that route I may forgo the 3DS because doesn't have too many games I'm currently interested in. I'm starting to lean towards getting either Ps3 or WiiU since the portable librarys arent impressing me to much, hmmm... I tried out the WiiU Gamepad in store. It actually feels pretty comfortable in your hands despite how large and stupid looking it seems by watching a commercial of it being used. Some games for Wii/WiiU I was interested in: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros 4 (coming soon), Bayonetta 2, and I'd also look at getting Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (even though its rare, overpriced, and only avaliable on sites like ebay) because I need to play the 2nd game in that series to finish the story.

EDIT: I know I already mentioned but yeah Ps4 does have some solid looking games coming out like Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, The Order 1886, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Final Fantasy Type 0, and Mortal Kombat X . I'm just really hoping with the Ps4 we will eventually get some actual JRPGS for that damn thing besides just Final Fantasy XV..
midnightbladeNov 6, 2014 1:03 PM
Nov 6, 2014 2:23 PM

May 2013
A PS3 is all you need. It has the best exclusives of any console, specifically JRPGs and Anime titles in general. Only on the PS3 can you play quite a few "Tales Of" games, as well as others such as Bayonetta, Heavy Rain, Ni No Kuni, etc.

That being said, I don't have very high opinion of the PS4, much like the Xbone (especially seeing as they hardly have any decent exclusives yet). They're basically the same as the previous gen with graphics that are slightly better minus the ability to play all the games on the previous consoles, including all those sweet PS3 exclusives. Wii U has much potential (especially with Smash Bros coming out) and a 3DS is only good for Pokemon and possibly Fire Emblem too, but that's about it. Vita has fuck all.
Nov 6, 2014 2:50 PM
Mar 2011
the funny fact about this is the wii u fact has
more 1080p 69fos ganes than the otther two f facts are fun
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 6, 2014 7:17 PM

Dec 2013
Wii U and 3dsXL
There's no more games coming out exclusively for the PS3 after they announced Persona 5 is also coming out on PS4 and the Vita has no games. The Wii U has some really great exclusives like Bayonneta 2 and Mario Kart 8 with a lot more games coming out in the future (Smash 4, Star Fox, Splatoon, The Legend Of Zelda). The Wii U pretty much has no third party games but since you already own a PS4, that shouldn't be an issue. It can also play original Wii games. Even though the majority of Wii games were absolute shit, it still had some good ones (Okami, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Super Mario Galaxy). The 3DS also just has good games on it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2014 7:42 PM

Jun 2014
YouAreNotSugoi said:
Wii U and 3dsXL
There's no more games coming out exclusively for the PS3 after they announced Persona 5 is also coming out on PS4 and the Vita has no games. The Wii U has some really great exclusives like Bayonneta 2 and Mario Kart 8 with a lot more games coming out in the future (Smash 4, Star Fox, Splatoon, The Legend Of Zelda). The Wii U pretty much has no third party games but since you already own a PS4, that shouldn't be an issue. It can also play original Wii games. Even though the majority of Wii games were absolute shit, it still had some good ones (Okami, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Super Mario Galaxy). The 3DS also just has good games on it.

I'll make a list of good vita games just for you.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
Y'S
Akibas trip
SAO
Freedom Wars
Killzone
Uncharted
Gravity Rush
Shinobido 2
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
Tales of Hearts R
Assassins Creed Liberation
Minecraft
MS HD Collection
Silent Hill Book of Memories
Forgotten Memories
God Eater 2
Toukiden
Soul Sacrafice
One Piece Pirate Warriors 2+3
J Stars Victory Versus
PSP and PS1 games
And I'm too lazy to post more
Nov 6, 2014 8:13 PM

Aug 2014
PS Vita is a lot of fun. Especially for a anime fan.
Nov 6, 2014 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
Vita is raw
Nov 6, 2014 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
3DS, people are saying it's only good for Mario and Legend of Zelda and shit but I can give you a list of all the good 3DS games.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (You already played it but the Future of Despair DLC is hands down the best DLC I've played in any game so far)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Though it's a sequel to 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors so you'll have to play that one. What the 3DS has though is backwards compatibility sooo you're good. It's a visual novel)
Phoenix Wright trilogy is releasing in a month and you also have the new Phoenix Wright already released.
Professor Layton (duh)
Bravely Default and Bravely Second is coming out soon too
Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS is also pretty good
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Monster Hunter Tri
Etrian Odyssey: Millenium Girl

If you include the DS games thanks to backwards compatibility you're set for months!
Nov 7, 2014 2:07 AM
May 2009
To be Honest, PS3, you can get them cheap now a days, PSvita is pretty cheap aswell, 3DS are about the same as a Vita, 3DS has more games, but with Nintendo you have no ability to play games from other regions.

I would recommend PS3 and PSVita, since they are not region locked.
And at some point the Vita will be hacked, and you probably just download all the Japanese games.
Nov 7, 2014 7:37 AM

Mar 2013
For now get PS3 For is exclusives library and the upcoming games,
then later decide Ps4 or PC, after checking if u like the PS4 upcoming titles.
Nov 7, 2014 7:56 AM
May 2009
PS3, is still getting Games made for it in Japan (Exclusively though mainly things that would never sell in the west, or are too niche to make a profit.)
Nov 7, 2014 9:54 AM
Nov 2008
where's the 'buy all of them' option? that's what i did
Nov 9, 2014 8:23 AM

Nov 2012
dity said:

You mean you bought them all over time or all at the same time?

I want to eventually own most of the Nintendo consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, WiiU, GBA SP, 3DSXL) and all of the sony consoles (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVITA) .. but I want to get to a point in the next 2 years where I just mainly play the more recent ones and play the older ones on occasion..

Looks like the Nintendo route is winning in the polls haha

I think I'm leaning towards getting both WiiU (White 8GB model) and Ps3 (Blue Azurite 500 GB model)

I'm getting Galaxy Note 3 or 4 for Christmas, so I'm not all that worried about portable devices. Android has a good number of rpgs and other games that can keep me busy while I'm out and about..
Nov 9, 2014 8:55 AM

Jun 2014
midnightblade said:
dity said:

You mean you bought them all over time or all at the same time?

I want to eventually own most of the Nintendo consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, WiiU, GBA SP, 3DSXL) and all of the sony consoles (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVITA) .. but I want to get to a point in the next 2 years where I just mainly play the more recent ones and play the older ones on occasion..

Looks like the Nintendo route is winning in the polls haha

I think I'm leaning towards getting both WiiU (White 8GB model) and Ps3 (Blue Azurite 500 GB model)

I'm getting Galaxy Note 3 or 4 for Christmas, so I'm not all that worried about portable devices. Android has a good number of rpgs and other games that can keep me busy while I'm out and about..

What rpgs would you recommend?

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

4 by DreamWindow »»
28 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
5 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.