Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 2, 2014 10:32 PM

Sep 2012
I've become really interested in Visual Novels and, more specifically, Dating Sims lately, so I'm looking for some of them.

As long as it's good then I don't really care if it has any amount of M+ rated content in it, although M+ rated content is usually a plus anyway. Any recommendations?

☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Nov 3, 2014 3:55 AM
Jun 2013
These are pretty good for beginners, highly recommend first 2 though

Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai (by far the best game in 2014)
Monobeno
Hatsukoi 1/1
Hatsuyuki Sakura
Amairo Islenauts
Nov 3, 2014 4:09 AM

Feb 2013
Katawa Shoujo
Is the only one I read
Nov 3, 2014 4:20 AM

Sep 2013
Dating Sim: Love Plus.

Visual Novel:
Great story:
G-Senjou no Maou
Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo
Fate/Stay Night
Muv Luv Alternative (you have to sit through the first two though)
Ever 17
Umineko When They Cry
Steins;Gate

Normal "moege''
My Girlfriend is The President
koi iro chu lips
Canvas 2

Gameplay Novels:
Aselia The Eternal
Utawarerumono
Tears to Tiara
Castle Fantasia 2
Nov 3, 2014 4:51 AM

Oct 2012
Do you actually want dating sims?
Or just visual novels where you date girls.

Ichijouji_Touko said:
Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai (by far the best game in 2014)
Monobeno
Hatsukoi 1/1
Hatsuyuki Sakura
Amairo Islenauts
Just mentioning that none of these have a complete english translation.

A lot of the english translated ones: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130817195515/visual-novels-general/images/8/88/VN2013-08-17.png

You can search using tags on http://vndb.org yourself if you feel so inclined.
Nov 3, 2014 5:28 AM
Jun 2013
Laniaka said:
Just mentioning that none of these have a complete english translation.

Why need translation patch when you got agth/ith? Tl patches are useful but are by no means any close to a requirement for playing eroges. Not really good in encouraging ppl to play outdated games just cause they are translated.
Nov 3, 2014 5:58 AM

Oct 2012
Ichijouji_Touko said:
Why need translation patch when you got agth/ith? Tl patches are useful but are by no means any close to a requirement for playing eroges. Not really good in encouraging ppl to play outdated games just cause they are translated.
If you just want to try out a few eroge then there's no need to go that far. And there's nothing wrong with playing games that are a bit older.
I just assumed that op wants English translated games. Of course I might be wrong but from my experiences around here it is a safe assumption.
Nov 3, 2014 6:01 AM

Jan 2013
They dont make dating sims anymore.

Just go ahead and let that dream die.

Plenty of good VNs though.

Oct 2014
I recommend Steins;Gate. It's the only visual I have played with good writing. (Not just good-for-a-visual-novel kinda good writing.)

Jan 2013
Nefarious-Review said:
I recommend Steins;Gate. It's the only visual I have played with good writing. (Not just good-for-a-visual-novel kinda good writing.)

Clearly you havent played Grisaia.
Nov 3, 2014 6:08 AM

Aug 2011
Go for a good read and try Umineko no Naku koro ni.

Otherwise maybe G Senjou no Maou is a good alternative, and it focus on girls and all that shit.

» Escapism.

Nov 3, 2014 6:09 AM

Jan 2013
Kenchiin said:
Go for a good read and try Umineko no Naku koro ni.

Otherwise maybe G Senjou no Maou is a good alternative, and it focus on girls and all that shit.

Gsen is a shittier version of that guy's other game.
Nov 3, 2014 6:19 AM

Aug 2011
SolvitePriest said:

I'm not really a VN-savvy, so would let me know the name of "that guy's other game"? lol, if it's better than GSEN I'm in for it.

» Escapism.

Nov 3, 2014 6:20 AM

Jan 2013
Kenchiin said:
SolvitePriest said:

I'm not really a VN-savvy, so would let me know the name of "that guy's other game"? lol, if it's better than GSEN I'm in for it.

I actually liked G-Sen. Didnt read the other one.

And its Sharin no Kuni

https://vndb.org/v57
Nov 3, 2014 6:27 AM

Aug 2011
SolvitePriest said:

I actually liked G-Sen. Didnt read the other one.

And its Sharin no Kuni

https://vndb.org/v57

Thanks dude!

» Escapism.

Nov 3, 2014 12:01 PM

Sep 2012
Laniaka said:
Do you actually want dating sims?
Or just visual novels where you date girls.
Either is fine but with a good preference on the dating sims. I like the decision making aspect of dating sims a lot.

Laniaka said:
Ichijouji_Touko said:
If you just want to try out a few eroge then there's no need to go that far. And there's nothing wrong with playing games that are a bit older.
I just assumed that op wants English translated games. Of course I might be wrong but from my experiences around here it is a safe assumption.
I just want to understand what's going on so if there's something that's not fully English translated but I can still understand what's going on then that's completely fine too. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this kinda stuff.

BTW thanks for all the recommendations so far guys!
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Nov 3, 2014 1:06 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved
VN stuff should be under the Games board, even if it's a recommendation.
Nov 3, 2014 1:36 PM

Sep 2009
Ichijouji_Touko said:
Why need translation patch when you got agth/ith?
Because you need to know quite a bit of Japanese to use those, otherwise you won't understand anything (that includes machine translated gibberish). Whether it's worth to learn that much or not depends on one's dedication for the hobby.

@OP
As for dating sims, as it was already mentioned, it's a rather dead genre - you won't find too many new titles, so might as well stick to translated oldies, such as True Love or Koisuru Oukoku. That aside, you should know that there was only one actual dating sim mentioned in this thread so far - Love Plus - all other titles are visual novels (with a few VN/RPG hybrids). I'm not a fan of that genre, so unfortunately I can't recommend anything else.

When it comes to VNs, what genre do you prefer? Just romance/slice-of-life-oriented stuff, or something more focused on plot than on girls? Well, either way, familiarizing yourself with VNDB and finding them yourself is the best recommendation here. :P
Nov 3, 2014 1:42 PM
Jun 2013
Pabloc said:
Ichijouji_Touko said:
Why need translation patch when you got agth/ith?
Because you need to know quite a bit of Japanese to use those, otherwise you won't understand anything (that includes machine translated gibberish). Whether it's worth to learn that much or not depends on one's dedication for the hobby.

Hey! I first playing eroge in 2012 and after playing 2 translated games (Baldr Sky and Iroseka) I played around 15 games with pure machine translator (its called jBeijing) and I could understand most of it, I'd say about 8.5/10 - 9/10 of the entire game. I stopped purely using machine translation now but its not something I wouldn't recommend someone. I learned the most basic of Japanese (alphabet and grammar) cause I had free time so I can mostly read the text now, but jbeijing still helps very much.
baisehunliNov 3, 2014 1:47 PM
Nov 3, 2014 3:11 PM
Mar 2011
SolvitePriest said:
They dont make dating sims anymore.

Just go ahead and let that dream die.

Plenty of good VNs though.

ther are still dating sims there
ther was tokimemo game on the ds
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 3, 2014 4:24 PM

Sep 2009
@Ichijouji_Touko
Isn't jBeijing a JP -> CN translator? That one could work to some extent, I guess. Maybe.
But, something tells me OP isn't fluent in Chinese. :P And when it comes to JP -> ENG machine translators, those basically spit out random gibberish.
Nov 3, 2014 4:27 PM
Mar 2011
Pabloc said:
@Ichijouji_Touko
Isn't jBeijing a JP -> CN translator? That one could work to some extent, I guess. Maybe.
But, something tells me OP isn't fluent in Chinese. :P And when it comes to JP -> ENG machine translators, those basically spit out random gibberish.

tahts becuse the fact enligh machce translation cannot define the reading diffrence in Kanji
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 3, 2014 8:16 PM

Sep 2010
Monster girl quest.
Its my favorite game, even over all my childhood memories.
Nov 9, 2014 2:01 AM

Apr 2014
I'm not sure if you would call them all 'dating sims' but they are all visual novels
Grisaia no Kajitsu
Da Capo II
Chaos;Head
Clannad
School Days

Those are just some of my favorites and all are English translated

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

4 by DreamWindow »»
54 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
6 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
7 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.