Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 29, 2014 11:16 AM

Oct 2014
anikaneki said:

in this chapter Sasaki tells porpora that mado is "on a different case" ( most likely the serpent) to which porpora states that sasaki is loose lipped as always, then when he leaves porpora says he wants to talk to sasaki about "a different case". Porpora has most likely spoke with mado since they share a relationship with amon, about the serpent, which is the only other prominent mysterious identity we know of.

I like your idea, seems interesting and a possibility

As for Haise being Kaneki I do think they are the same, I'm 99% sure.
For many reasons
First the pyshical appearance
the reading
Not being able to eat human food
Big lips accusing him of being a ghoul
The way he lets Urie walk on him
Being nice to the priest even thou he loves eating children, and its creepy
Feeling sorry for the priest
Kaneki appearing in his mind several times (he was not surprised)
Close relationship with Arima

Btw, I don't see a 13 in his hand I see a 12 too.

I'll quote myself from another forum

I think that first meeting is one more proof that Sasaki could be Kaneki, plus when he "died" you can see numbers 9 and 13, meaning death and hermit.
But death in tarot can also mean regeneration and hermit also means reflection.
We can say that Kaneki like he said wants to sleep to live a dream, after all his reality really sucked.
Right now he is living a peaceful life, where he doesnt have to question himself. Nevertheless he is entering a phase where he notices that he is different, he is ghoul like.
I mean big lips accused him of being a ghoul, the way he treated the priest was like an old friend, which is weird, since the priest is really creepy, but is like he doesnt hold against him that he ate those children.
Plus Kaneki is reminding him in a way "you are a ghoul" specially by saying his name in the kakuja form.
If the number 12 is really there, then we can also say that Sasaki is indecesive about being human or ghoul.
Bc being nice to a ghoul is a no, no, no for a human.
And being a ghoul, then he has no place in CCG
which gets him back at the beginning, being alone, not belonging not here nor there.
"It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story"

"And the sense of tragedy-according to Aristotle.comes, ironically enough, not from the protagonist's weak points but from his good qualities. Do you know what I'm getting at? People are drawn deeper into tragedy not by their defects but by their virtues"

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami...the man that was the inspiration for Sen Takatsuki

Oct 29, 2014 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
Torso reminds me of Urie. Exact same haircut, unlike Tsukiyama, his fancy locks don't fit there.
Oct 29, 2014 2:30 PM

May 2011
Smoofie said:
For everyone who still thinks Kaneki is either dead or that Sasaki isn't kaneki.

There's your proof that Sasaki is Kaneki. Last chapter tokyo ghoul. How obvious is that.

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that they "faked" his death in order to recruit him later with a new name after brainwashing him.
Oct 29, 2014 2:33 PM
Oct 2013
Satan-sama said:
Smoofie said:
For everyone who still thinks Kaneki is either dead or that Sasaki isn't kaneki.

There's your proof that Sasaki is Kaneki. Last chapter tokyo ghoul. How obvious is that.

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that they "faked" his death in order to recruit him later with a new name after brainwashing him.

I hope your sarcastic about that...cause this is the "ridiculous" thing I've mentioned a while ago.
Oct 29, 2014 2:56 PM
Oct 2012
Satan-sama said:
Smoofie said:

What is strange about this alleged brainwashing, is that usually when a character has it, he has blind obedience to anyone who does this, but not Sasaki, he knows that is not useful, the CCG will get rid of it.

and also, if he was brainwashed, why the hell he defends the rights of ghouls? would not create a more efficient rise a killing machine who hates ghouls?
Oct 29, 2014 4:17 PM

May 2011
Acernos said:
Satan-sama said:

What is strange about this alleged brainwashing, is that usually when a character has it, he has blind obedience to anyone who does this, but not Sasaki, he knows that is not useful, the CCG will get rid of it.

and also, if he was brainwashed, why the hell he defends the rights of ghouls? would not create a more efficient rise a killing machine who hates ghouls?

I really don't know :/ (actually no one knows), maybe they didn't brainwash him, maybe they just erased his old memories. There's a difference here.
Oct 29, 2014 4:22 PM

Oct 2014
This is what I think

The eyes are very close to the brain, it would be seem logical that he would have a brain trauma, he forgot everything, when he woke up he didn't know who he was or where he was.

Arima enters the room, he tells him he is human, but was attacked by a ghoul, a doctor who used to work for them transplant him the organs of said ghoul.
Since the surgery is irreversible how about working for the CCG, so this doesnt happen again.
Anyway something like that.
So he is not exactly brainwashed, but the truth was twisted in favor of the CCG

"And the sense of tragedy-according to Aristotle.comes, ironically enough, not from the protagonist's weak points but from his good qualities. Do you know what I'm getting at? People are drawn deeper into tragedy not by their defects but by their virtues"

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami...the man that was the inspiration for Sen Takatsuki

Oct 29, 2014 4:34 PM
Oct 2012
Satan-sama said:
Acernos said:

I really don't know :/ (actually no one knows), maybe they didn't brainwash him, maybe they just erased his old memories. There's a difference here.

or maybe Sasaki had not lost the memories, and is just playing the game, only the future will tell.
Oct 29, 2014 4:50 PM

Aug 2012
He's probably not brainwashed at all and hasn't lost his memories. Blackmail or coinciding interests with the CCG are more likely.
Oct 29, 2014 5:00 PM

Mar 2012
Another obvious hint... Tsukiyama Shuu wants Sasaki's belongings, why would he want them? Obviously, because he might be "part" of Kaneki or Kaneki himself, which I doubt but I prefer to see him alive, of course.

Ishida is a genius giving us information without confirming the truth ._.
Oct 29, 2014 7:14 PM

Oct 2014
gabyta07 said:
anikaneki said:

in this chapter Sasaki tells porpora that mado is "on a different case" ( most likely the serpent) to which porpora states that sasaki is loose lipped as always, then when he leaves porpora says he wants to talk to sasaki about "a different case". Porpora has most likely spoke with mado since they share a relationship with amon, about the serpent, which is the only other prominent mysterious identity we know of.

I like your idea, seems interesting and a possibility

As for Haise being Kaneki I do think they are the same, I'm 99% sure.
For many reasons
First the pyshical appearance
the reading
Not being able to eat human food
Big lips accusing him of being a ghoul
The way he lets Urie walk on him
Being nice to the priest even thou he loves eating children, and its creepy
Feeling sorry for the priest
Kaneki appearing in his mind several times (he was not surprised)
Close relationship with Arima

Btw, I don't see a 13 in his hand I see a 12 too.

I'll quote myself from another forum

I think that first meeting is one more proof that Sasaki could be Kaneki, plus when he "died" you can see numbers 9 and 13, meaning death and hermit.
But death in tarot can also mean regeneration and hermit also means reflection.
We can say that Kaneki like he said wants to sleep to live a dream, after all his reality really sucked.
Right now he is living a peaceful life, where he doesnt have to question himself. Nevertheless he is entering a phase where he notices that he is different, he is ghoul like.
I mean big lips accused him of being a ghoul, the way he treated the priest was like an old friend, which is weird, since the priest is really creepy, but is like he doesnt hold against him that he ate those children.
Plus Kaneki is reminding him in a way "you are a ghoul" specially by saying his name in the kakuja form.
If the number 12 is really there, then we can also say that Sasaki is indecesive about being human or ghoul.
Bc being nice to a ghoul is a no, no, no for a human.
And being a ghoul, then he has no place in CCG
which gets him back at the beginning, being alone, not belonging not here nor there.

the hanged man is generally a more neutral and passive card by character which on the page he (kaneki) is not by strangling sasaki.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/f6270f9c2a77f81830e3f0f2b52e497a/tumblr_ne8irpWpj01qf8rabo1_400.png

i do not believe that kaneki wasn't the hanged man or isn't when we put in the perspectives of the story in summation of the end of the first arc (issue 143), but at this point you have to see that 13 through the perspective of a troubled sasaki subconcious. the 13 could mean regeneration which would mean death, for sasaki. the recollection of repressed memories would end the era of the wide eyed sasaki haise which i do believe is an inevitable event. i do believe you're right about the outside world (big lips) and the inside world (kaneki) being a mental strain on the facade known as sasaki haise that kaneki has made for himself. i believe these are all the efforts of the purest form of kaneki in not making himself deal with the harshness of the situation he's in. he's trying to have his cake and eat it too by not killing unless its ridiculously necessary even if its a ghoul and given authorization by by association of law enforcement and not eating human flesh by treatment of the ccg.

either way theres a number in there somewhere. lol
anikanekiOct 29, 2014 7:26 PM
"Events that happen in this world are a continuous series of trifling things. And within those myriad pieces of puzzles, there is a fragment that leads to the truth." -Kishou Arima
Oct 29, 2014 7:25 PM

Oct 2014
To people that still think that Haise isn't Kaneki.

Black nails, white hair. Guess who?
Oct 29, 2014 7:34 PM
Mar 2013
Certainly getting interesting.
Oct 29, 2014 7:37 PM

Oct 2014
Now I understand how Kaneki survived, his regeneration helped him survive ala Piccolo surviving getting blasted by Cell thanks to his regeneration ability as well.

The thing is what happened after Kaneki finished regenerating, did any CCG member come back to pick up Kanekis body, heal him then brainwash him?

Oct 29, 2014 9:21 PM

Sep 2014
gabyta07 said:
This is what I think

The eyes are very close to the brain, it would be seem logical that he would have a brain trauma, he forgot everything, when he woke up he didn't know who he was or where he was.

Arima enters the room, he tells him he is human, but was attacked by a ghoul, a doctor who used to work for them transplant him the organs of said ghoul.
Since the surgery is irreversible how about working for the CCG, so this doesnt happen again.
Anyway something like that.
So he is not exactly brainwashed, but the truth was twisted in favor of the CCG

I actually like this theory, it's something that Kaneki would definitely believe with a confused memory, since it is a bunch of half truths. Maybe he vaguely remembers the incident with Rize and his time at Anteiku, but he would choose to think it all fit in some way into what Arima was telling him. Either way we (hopefully) find out eventually.
Oct 29, 2014 9:30 PM

Jul 2011
I havent read this sequel but thats funny if the authors reviving people after killing every character except touka off
Oct 29, 2014 10:22 PM
Apr 2014
Someone on 4chan found this.......

http://i.4cdn.org/a/1414645470715.png
Number 6 of the Tarot cards, Lovers.

This is seriously like a scavenger hunt. I mean you really have to pay attention or you'll miss these things. Anyways this is why Tokyo Ghoul is so fuckin good, the symbolism is amazing.

Edit: Looking at it again is that a 6 or something else. Hmmmm is it intentional or not?
AquaWateriaOct 29, 2014 10:25 PM
Oct 29, 2014 10:26 PM

Oct 2014
why it doesnt seem odd that is in Tsukiyama's door?
I have always though that Tsukiyama doesnt really want to eat Kaneki, but is in love with him, but since he lacks human being skills, he translates it to food.
After all eating for a ghoul, it's like a religious experience.

Oct 30, 2014 4:57 AM

Sep 2007
stern-regen said:
Torso reminds me of Urie. Exact same haircut, unlike Tsukiyama, his fancy locks don't fit there.

Actually that's pretty interesting. They kinda mentioned they can't eat [normal food] - but lazy girl and Mutsuki can, kinda.
And they love to run on their own and seek more strenght.
So it wouldn't really surprise me now if they started to "hunt" on their own. The only illogical point is they should know if they do this, they might be next to hunt... or just they might be stupid brats and think they might hide it forever.

And about Sasaki=Kaneki just calm down people. You can't impose each others opinion on one another... and it will be as long as Ishida will give us CLEAR answers.
Oct 30, 2014 5:29 AM

Oct 2014
Nanami said:
stern-regen said:

Actually that's pretty interesting. They kinda mentioned they can't eat [normal food] - but lazy girl and Mutsuki can, kinda.
And they love to run on their own and seek more strenght.
So it wouldn't really surprise me now if they started to "hunt" on their own. The only illogical point is they should know if they do this, they might be next to hunt... or just they might be stupid brats and think they might hide it forever.

Instead I understood differently, maybe I'm wrong but the way I got it, its that everyone can eat normal food except Sasaki, when you pass the 1000 RC you can't eat more human food.
And the only one who passes that quantity is Sasaki.
The doctor even warned Sasaki to not let his subordinates use too much the kagune bc their levels of RC could increase.
That's why even if they have kagunes they keep carrying quinques.

And then after that page, the doctor looks at Sasaki's dossier and say "I wonder how it must feel"
plus someone in tumblr don't remember who, pointed out there was a misstranslation, in the translation big lips accussed Sasaki that all the quinckes were ghouls, but in reality he was accusing only Sasaki of being a ghoul.
Plus it seem logic to me to put Sasaki in charge of the quinckes when he is more ghoul than the others.
Anyway thats what I got from it, I could be wrong entirely, and I just letting my obsession with TG affect me :9

[spoiler][spoiler]

gabyta07Oct 30, 2014 6:09 AM

Oct 30, 2014 6:51 AM

Sep 2007
Yeah, I agree on this!
But I mean in 3rd chapter...
http://imperialscans.com/read/tokyo-ghoul-re/3-bell/4

That last panel, smaller part "we can't really eat"
Oct 30, 2014 7:06 AM

Oct 2014
Nanami said:
Yeah, I agree on this!
But I mean in 3rd chapter...
http://imperialscans.com/read/tokyo-ghoul-re/3-bell/4

That last panel, smaller part "we can't really eat"

Oh I see, I took that part as misstranslation bc it doesnt make any sense, What the heck has to do with her being a girl, being an information provider and not being able to eat?
Since japanese has phrases that mean other things, and sometimes ppl tend to translate literally.
But it could be very well Ishida-sensei contradicting himself to confuse readers???, no idea.

Oct 30, 2014 7:08 AM
Mar 2010
Whelp, the amount of mistranslation is giving people lots of wrong ground to speculate ^^; I read the Japanese raw, so let me help to clear up a few common mistranslation.

1) In chapter 2, Mutsuki DID NOT say Bon Appetite. He said "itadakimasu" which means "thanks for the meal". The reason why Haise was staring at Mutsuki eating can be interpreted in 2 ways. One is he can't eat, thus wonder how it tastes like. The other is, he thought he screwed up his cooking, that's why he immediately apologized, only to be relieved when Mutsuki said it's good later on.

2) Shimoguchi never refer to Sasaki as a ghoul. The correct translation to that particular sentence is "towards ghoul, you..." Basically he implies that Sasaki sympathize with ghouls.

3) In chapter 3, that particular panel is a huge mistranlation. Basically, Urie said to Chie "Kuenai onna", which translates to "This woman doesn't take the bait". It has nothing to do with Urie and Shirazu unable to eat.
Oct 30, 2014 7:21 AM

Sep 2007
Yeah that part was very confusing so I suspected it was translated wrongly, but I'm too lazy to search for raws...

Thanks Zeiva for clarification.
Ad 1 - yeah I pointed it out many posts ago. And Bon apetite should say the person who made meal, because it's literally "have good apetite" = I hope you will enjoy your meal. So it would not make sense for Mutsuki to say it. So Sasaki was only wondering about how it taste and if it's good.
Oct 30, 2014 9:30 AM

Apr 2014
Zeiva said:
3) In chapter 3, that particular panel is a huge mistranlation. Basically, Urie said to Chie "Kuenai onna", which translates to "This woman doesn't take the bait". It has nothing to do with Urie and Shirazu unable to eat.

Yeah that one could give a lot of people the wrong idea. Thanks for the clarification.
Oct 30, 2014 10:05 AM

Oct 2014
LordPerucho said:
Now I understand how Kaneki survived, his regeneration helped him survive ala Piccolo surviving getting blasted by Cell thanks to his regeneration ability as well.

The thing is what happened after Kaneki finished regenerating, did any CCG member come back to pick up Kanekis body, heal him then brainwash him?

He wasn't really brainwashed. He seems to know that once he is not useful anymore he will be discarded, because he is like the kid-eater Donato Porpora.
Oct 30, 2014 10:13 AM

Jun 2014
Dictator said:

i dont think that means anything. Its similar to the vision kaneki had with rize. So it may be possible that part of kaneki was used to make haise a half. who knows
Oct 30, 2014 10:16 AM

Oct 2014
Illustration said:
Dictator said:

i dont think that means anything. Its similar to the vision kaneki had with rize. So it may be possible that part of kaneki was used to make haise a half. who knows

The difference is that Kaneki met Rize before and he knew exactly what is (and from who) inside him. But I don't think Haise ever had a relationship with Kaneki.
Oct 30, 2014 10:18 AM

Jun 2014
Dictator said:
Illustration said:

The difference is that Kaneki met Rize before and he knew exactly what is (and from who) inside him. But I don't think Haise ever had a relationship with Kaneki.
Ohh, thats a good point. But if part of kaneki is really in haise, i do see the possibility that these visions can still occur. No concrete evidence here, just what i think.
Oct 30, 2014 10:20 AM

Oct 2014
Illustration said:
Dictator said:

Ohh, thats a good point. But if part of kaneki is really in haise, i do see the possibility that these visions can still occur. No concrete evidence here, just what i think.

So you're telling me that Haise is a medium and he can contact the half-ghoul afterlife and have visions with people he don't know?
Oct 30, 2014 10:24 AM

Oct 2014
One of the things Ishida-sensei has always has as a principal theme, its about Kaneki not belonging.
One he "ate" Rize, he accepted himself as a ghoul and he "died" as a ghoul
At the end of his alucination with himself, kid Kaneki says his dream is to help ppl.
Being in the CCG its a way for Kaneki to live the dream, in a way he kids himself, he mingles with humans, humans "accept" him, he is not alone.
But in the dream, in subconscious way Ghoul Kaneki is reminding him, no, you are not human, you are a ghoul.
And tbh, in the last chapters of TG he was more ghoul than human.

btw organs do not give you the soul of the person, organs are just organs.
If organs contained the soul, every ghoul would be hunted by their preys soul
gabyta07Oct 30, 2014 10:29 AM

Oct 30, 2014 10:25 AM

Jun 2014
Dictator said:
Illustration said:

So you're telling me that Haise is a medium and he can contact the half-ghoul afterlife and have visions with people he don't know?
Well, this aint ghoul biology 101, and i didnt say that kaneki is dead. Are u an expert on ghoul biology>?
Oct 30, 2014 10:27 AM

Oct 2014
Illustration said:
Dictator said:

Well, this aint ghoul biology 101, and i didnt say that kaneki is dead. Are u an expert on ghoul biology>?

Nah, I'm just kidding. But if Haise was supposed to have hallucinations with the original user of his ghoul parts, then it would be with Rize and not Kaneki.
Oct 30, 2014 10:32 AM

Jun 2014
Dictator said:
Illustration said:

Nah, I'm just kidding. But if Haise was supposed to have hallucinations with the original user of his ghoul parts, then it would be with Rize and not Kaneki.

Well that makes a lot of sense. Im gonna stop poking at it and wait for more chapters:D.
Oct 30, 2014 10:34 AM
Oct 2012
I honestly think that only those who have started to read the manga from where the anime left off, rather than reading it from the start is who compare this scene Sasaki and Kaneki with something equal to that of Rize, because in the anime yes, they always did the Kaneki see / dream / be owned by Rize, but in the manga we see that this is not what happens.

probably gave all these fillers for Rize because her voice actress is almost like a goddess for otakus
AcernosOct 30, 2014 10:39 AM
Oct 30, 2014 10:43 AM

Apr 2014
Just to make it clear to those who started reading the manga right after the anime ended. Kaneki didn't see Rize in his hallucinations because of her organs. She's just a figment of his imagination.

To be honest the anime created a lot of confusion just because of that.
Oct 30, 2014 10:54 AM

Oct 2014
Plus Yomo's sentence wouldn't make sense if it were indeed Rize's soul.

When Kaneki sees Rize, he can not believe her state, he even says but I "ate" her to have her strenght.
The reason why, its bc in his mind Rize was strong and independent, realizing she was not like that, destroyed his confidence.
And then Yomo tells him," it was not Rize's strenght you have but your own" which Kaneki can not believe since he doesnt have confidence in himself.
And that was the reason he got so easily defeated.

Btw, a question.

Its a ghoul capable of eating a whole human in one sitting?
I am asking bc Rize killed a lot of humans, but then you saw she had body parts on her suitcasess.
Plus a whole human, its a food for a month.
So it is kind of confusing, at least to me
I am asking also bc of Hide. Hide says he wants to help Kaneki, next scene Kaneki feels in his mouth "sweet taste of blood"
Then I am wondering, is it possible that Kaneki only ate Hide's arm or something like that?

Oct 30, 2014 12:40 PM
Aug 2014
Only time can tell what happened to Hide. Also the one asking for Sasaki's underwear is indeed a female I think. She was shown in the first few pages of chapter 1 of TG re; along with Chie.
Oct 30, 2014 2:14 PM
Oct 2012
"And that was the reason he got so easily defeated."

disagree in Anteiku raid he already seemed recovered from the blow of seeing Rise in that state, so that he easily kicks ass first class investigador and associates, he only "ties" to Amon (full Arata e lance bikaku) and lost to the monster (Arima).
Oct 30, 2014 2:49 PM

Oct 2014
His mental state was weak, proof that when he found Arima he was smelling flowers, he wasnt in his 5 sesnses, even Yomo mentions he lost his way while walking to Anteiku.

Oct 30, 2014 7:16 PM
Oct 2012
gabyta07 said:
His mental state was weak, proof that when he found Arima he was smelling flowers, he wasnt in his 5 sesnses, even Yomo mentions he lost his way while walking to Anteiku.

you read this in the wiki?

The Yomo said Kaneki always been strong, he was wrong and that he always used his own power in struggles, until we have an illustration of the centipede being destroyed right now, I know weak mentally characters, I read holyland, and I can say that Kaneki was not mentally weak there, he shows that when he spoke with Nishiki before entering the fight, he kicked the ass of investigators strongs , what happened to the Arima has another significance, Arima inspired fear in Kaneki due to the force him, not because Kaneki was mentally weak because of what happened to the Rise, in the best of hypotheses he was confused about what happened to Hide.

"Yomo mentions he lost his way while walking to Anteiku."

you mean the last chapter? if so, who said it was the Touka, and was not referred to his state of mind.

AcernosOct 30, 2014 7:25 PM
Oct 30, 2014 8:02 PM

Oct 2014
Acernos said:
gabyta07 said:

you read this in the wiki?

The Yomo said Kaneki always been strong, he was wrong and that he always used his own power in struggles, until we have an illustration of the centipede being destroyed right now, I know weak mentally characters, I read holyland, and I can say that Kaneki was not mentally weak there, he shows that when he spoke with Nishiki before entering the fight, he kicked the ass of investigators strongs , what happened to the Arima has another significance, Arima inspired fear in Kaneki due to the force him, not because Kaneki was mentally weak because of what happened to the Rise, in the best of hypotheses he was confused about what happened to Hide.

"Yomo mentions he lost his way while walking to Anteiku."

you mean the last chapter? if so, who said it was the Touka, and was not referred to his state of mind.

No, from the manga...3 days ago I re-read the whole manga.
Well, sadly I have to disagree with you, I do believe he was unstable, plus the character had never confidence on himself, plus he was guided by fear of being alone.
When he learned about Rize, his imago broke, that is the reason of his unstability, plus with the arrival of the CCG his network of support was taken away.
Btw instead of telling me you read another manga, you should be telling me you read Gustav Carl Jung, which Ishida-sensei is very influenced by in his manga, plus I think Jung is a more trustful source of mental weakness/mental unstable
gabyta07Oct 30, 2014 8:24 PM

Oct 30, 2014 8:22 PM
Oct 2012
"""""""""""No, from the manga...3 days ago I re-read the whole manga.
Well, sadly I have to disagree with you, I do believe he was unstable, plus the character had never confidence on himself, plus he was guided by fear of being alone.
When he learned about Rize, his imago broke, that is the reason of his unstability, plus with the arrival of the CCG his network of support was taken away.""""""""

Look, I'll leave my last opinion about this matter, for me, soon after Kaneki is beaten by Touka, and decided to change what he is doing, he is already recovering his insanity, when he talks to Nishiki, it shows that is aware and confident that can save yoshimura, the biggest proof for me that he is confident were all things he said to Irimi, something that only a shounen protagonist would say, and the way he easily defeated several enemies, but after what happened to Hide, he was confused and unstable, so perhaps influenced against Arima, but it was not because of Rize and lack of confidence in own strength, if it were so, we would have something show that when he has that hallucination (chapter 140), but no, the point was to show what he was sacrificing himself for others just because he was afraid of being alone.
Oct 30, 2014 8:30 PM

Oct 2014
Acernos said:
"""""""""""No, from the manga...3 days ago I re-read the whole manga.
When he learned about Rize, his imago broke, that is the reason of his unstability, plus with the arrival of the CCG his network of support was taken away.""""""""

Look, I'll leave my last opinion about this matter, for me, soon after Kaneki is beaten by Touka, and decided to change what he is doing, he is already recovering his insanity, when he talks to Nishiki, it shows that is aware and confident that can save yoshimura, the biggest proof for me that he is confident were all things he said to Irimi, something that only a shounen protagonist would say, and the way he easily defeated several enemies, but after what happened to Hide, he was confused and unstable, so perhaps influenced against Arima, but it was not because of Rize and lack of confidence in own strength, if it were so, we would have something show that when he has that hallucination (chapter 140), but no, the point was to show what he was sacrificing himself for others just because he was afraid of being alone.

That is where I think we disagree, you are seeing things black and white, as you said shonen protagonist.
Instead, what I see is that Tokyo Ghoul is heavily influenced by the Jungian Psychoanalysis, so is more complex than that.
Could be that you are right and I am wrong, we will see as time passes, how Ishida-sensei keeps dealing with his manga.

Oct 31, 2014 2:49 AM
Jan 2012
If anybody remembers, in chapter 143, the panel where it shows kaneki face crossed off with the words "ERASED" meanwhile the ghoul above kaneki was simply crossed off without the word erased. From that just a theory, perhaps the ERASED simply implied that kaneki memories has been erased, thus haise was born. Obviously not concrete evidence, but food for thought.
Oct 31, 2014 3:37 AM

Apr 2014
Mayuriii said:
If anybody remembers, in chapter 143, the panel where it shows kaneki face crossed off with the words "ERASED" meanwhile the ghoul above kaneki was simply crossed off without the word erased. From that just a theory, perhaps the ERASED simply implied that kaneki memories has been erased, thus haise was born. Obviously not concrete evidence, but food for thought.

Logically the "ERASED" could mean that all personal information regarding the person Kaneki ken has been removed. I don't know how people could assume the erased could mean he has amnesia.
Oct 31, 2014 4:38 AM

Dec 2013
Erased means his informations, all about centipede and kaneki, have been Erased. That's simply to prevent other investigators who didnt know about kanekikun got to know that their very collegue sasaki was an enemy ghoul, responsible for some investigators deaths. no records about centipede, so no hatred towards him(he's already aimed for being a quinque/ghoul, imagine if they knew he killed some of them). Kaneki anymore. Maybe just the ones involved inthe quinque project know about it. Also, ccg has already noticed that they might have insiders from aogiri, thats another way to prevent kaneki to turn to the ghoul's side, and so, preserve their new weapon while it has its use.
Oct 31, 2014 3:31 PM

Oct 2014
I'm surprised that the idea of Hide being in on the reconstruction of Kaneki hasn't been brought up yet. Hide is very smart with his powers of deduction, very compassionate to Kaneki, but is also kinda manipulative.
I don't think that it'd be out of his character to attempt to have Kaneki spared or have his mind sacrificed for the sake of mankind or kaneki's legacy.
Alot of the theory is that Hide may have let Kaneki eat some of him like an arm and whatnot. This doesn't seem plausible to me because Hide is not a person thats so naive to believe that Kaneki wouldn't devour him whole without information on his current mental state be he human or ghoul or in between. Hide is very smart he wouldn't pursue Kaneki so closely in a secluded area without some sort of security for his safety.When the two meet Hide is overly calm in the sewer to the point he seems to have a plan devised. If you read chapter 136 where they meet its as though Hide is trying to lure Kaneki in a false sense of security by joking around with him and leads him to believe that he's there to help and for some unknown reason says with a certainty theres pretty much only one way out, V14.
My theory is that he informed Arima or personnel of enough rank that Kaneki could be swayed or mentally rehabilitated to assist the ccg or at least that he personally knew him to be human before the accident with him and rize which would still give kaneki value to the ccg because he is a rarity of being human and ghoul which is what there biggest threat is (the owl king) . This would at the very least explain why Arima knew his name and even decided to choose Kaneki to spare in a one on one battle especially given the level of threat Kaneki is.

As for the bloody taste in Kaneki's mouth and dissappearance of Hide. If the object is to prove that Kaneki has promise Hide would need Kaneki to be able to display his abilities. i think Hide may have either taken flesh of a dismembered officer or flesh of some sorts and rationed it to Kaneki and left amidst kaneki's gorge.
"Events that happen in this world are a continuous series of trifling things. And within those myriad pieces of puzzles, there is a fragment that leads to the truth." -Kishou Arima
Oct 31, 2014 6:24 PM
Aug 2014
Yeah I doubt Hide is actually dead. I hope the action starts soon.
Nov 1, 2014 4:16 AM

Oct 2014
anikaneki said:
I'm surprised that the idea of Hide being in on the reconstruction of Kaneki hasn't been brought up yet. Hide is very smart with his powers of deduction, very compassionate to Kaneki, but is also kinda manipulative.
I don't think that it'd be out of his character to attempt to have Kaneki spared or have his mind sacrificed for the sake of mankind or kaneki's legacy.
Alot of the theory is that Hide may have let Kaneki eat some of him like an arm and whatnot. This doesn't seem plausible to me because Hide is not a person thats so naive to believe that Kaneki wouldn't devour him whole without information on his current mental state be he human or ghoul or in between. Hide is very smart he wouldn't pursue Kaneki so closely in a secluded area without some sort of security for his safety.When the two meet Hide is overly calm in the sewer to the point he seems to have a plan devised. If you read chapter 136 where they meet its as though Hide is trying to lure Kaneki in a false sense of security by joking around with him and leads him to believe that he's there to help and for some unknown reason says with a certainty theres pretty much only one way out, V14.
My theory is that he informed Arima or personnel of enough rank that Kaneki could be swayed or mentally rehabilitated to assist the ccg or at least that he personally knew him to be human before the accident with him and rize which would still give kaneki value to the ccg because he is a rarity of being human and ghoul which is what there biggest threat is (the owl king) . This would at the very least explain why Arima knew his name and even decided to choose Kaneki to spare in a one on one battle especially given the level of threat Kaneki is.

As for the bloody taste in Kaneki's mouth and dissappearance of Hide. If the object is to prove that Kaneki has promise Hide would need Kaneki to be able to display his abilities. i think Hide may have either taken flesh of a dismembered officer or flesh of some sorts and rationed it to Kaneki and left amidst kaneki's gorge.

I like your speculation, it does make sense, the only thing its that I am on mind that the opposite happen.
CCG is very cunning, to me it was probably them, who came up to Hide and said, if you want to save your friend give him to us.
It is probable that apart from the owl, they were already counting for the centipede to appear, and had already planned to capture him to use as a weapon, this can be supported with the phrase that Amon said to Kaneki "The only place you are going is to Cochlea".
And this would go well with Hide's profile, he enter CCG to find Kaneki and save him, he would do everything to achieve this goal.
Then if he is really alive I hope he appears soon.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.