Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2015 2:26 PM

Jul 2012
Ardamaeus said:
NOPE, LOVING IT. Only sucks that it's biweekly. It's also incredibly fast-paced, but it's okay, considering the biweekly nonsense.
Jan 8, 2015 7:50 PM

Jun 2010
I want to quit, but I'll probably ride the train wreck til the end... :(

Jan 10, 2015 12:21 AM

Dec 2007
Benisuzume said:
I want to quit, but I'll probably ride the train wreck til the end... :(

Same. The only good thing that came out of this re-make or manga adaptation or whatever the heck it is, is the new merch, which increased the size of my collection quite a bit. Just my two cents.
Jan 10, 2015 11:12 AM
Nov 2012
It makes my heart bleed both as an animator and a Sailor Moon fan, so I haven't watched since ep 9.

I am going to have a SMC night with some fellow fans (also animators) catching up on the show and getting horribly drunk while doing so. Drunk hate-watching is the only way I can enjoy this anymore.
Jan 13, 2015 11:52 PM

Jun 2008
Well, I hate the fact that it's only twice a month and as weird as it is to say.....for some reason it just doesn't feel like the same Sailor Moon I watched as a kid.

And yes, I know it's technically NOT the same, and I knew coming into this anime that it wasn't going to be the same monster of the week formula....but, still it feels weird, I can't explain it.

Still, I'm not giving up on it....Sailor Moon was literally the VERY FIRST anime I ever saw and I was thrilled when I heard this remake was being made.

And it's not like I dislike this anime....it just feels weird....but I guess that's because of all my nostalgia faggotry getting in the way.
Jan 14, 2015 9:04 AM

Jun 2008
im so sad to see my childhood masterpiece being adapted so poorly. Its heart wrenching. They should have called Urobutcher to direct this to give it the mature feel because honestly I feel like a 5 year old kid watching this...I cannot feel sorry or love for any of the characters which I deeply love in the classic version. I could re-watch the classic version 20 times and never get tired of it because although the story deviated a lot from the manga, it was 20000000 times better than this crap Crystal adaption. 20 years to make...this? God im watching it till the end but Ive never felt so bored watching an anime in the few last years...I really dont want to transform my utter love for Sailormoon in utter dislike...I believe I´ll just erase this version from my mind and keep the awesome manga and classic anime in my mind.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jan 15, 2015 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
RhapsodyinBlue said:
lol @ the people complaining just because it doesn't follow the original anime when it was clearly stated it'll be more based on the manga.

However I am disappointed in how they're handling this, mainly in terms of the cheap quality. At the beginning they were incredibly messy and inconsistent, and characters were very flat. Recent episodes keep improving somewhat so I do have hope. But I really feel Toei have let this remake down and made it nowhere near as good as it deserves to be.

Story-wise there's not much to complain, from what I've heard from manga fans it's essentially the same as the manga with some changes made by the creator herself. Nothing horrible nor groundbreaking. At the most I also feel it's lacking in charm sometimes. Episodes are becoming more interesting now that the plot is really moving forward.

I won't call it a masterpiece or better than the original (which may not have followed the manga completely but still was a very engaging series in its own write), but it's likable enough to keep watching and it's slowly getting there.

You, good person, have summed up my feelings exactly. :D

Also I've always been of the belief that the Dark Kingdom arc was the weakest of the whole manga, and I think that it kind of shows in this adaption. Personality traits and character development are at their best in later arcs, more interesting characters appear, just overall cooler shit happens. I honestly hope we just get the full manga adaption, because otherwise we'll be missing the Infinity arc (my favorite personally) and that'll be an honest shame.
platinumSKIESJan 15, 2015 12:03 PM
Jan 17, 2015 5:06 PM

Apr 2014
Lmao no. I grew up watching Sailor Moon along with other animes that was shown on TV. I didn't read the original manga but in my opinion I love the remake than the original. I never complained about the 'different monsters' each week but when I went to rewatch all seasons. It was a pain in the butt.

Its tiring to wait every two (or sometimes three) weeks but the episodes are worth it. All the new things I never seen in the original anime got me surprised and excited.
Jan 19, 2015 11:18 PM

May 2009
Not giving up, but only because I'm a semi-completionist, but serously, this show is a wreck.

Yes, it's not a remake of the first series. Yes, it's an (almost) faithfull adaptation of the manga. Well, shit. Turns out the manga isn't that good, or at least it didn't age well at all in 25 years.

It's not that people are complaining because it's different (not all at least). They're complaning because the show is bad. The animation blows. The music is not very good. The characters have no dimension. They are actually all the same person with different hairdos. The story is too bland to work nowadays. As someone in this thread already said, it's a relic.

Come to think of it, NOBODY would be watching this if it wasnt for the first anime adaptation.

evangela said:
NO smc is better than the orginal because
1. usagi isn't a stupid bimbo and 2. actually follows the manga and doesn't add in the stupid filler
IMO

Usagi in the first and last episodes are two different people, how the character grew up with the audience and transitioned from "too scared to fight" in episode 1 to messiah in 200 at the time was great, maybe that's one of the reasons the show was a global success. I can almost feel how noone in SMC will have any sort of character arc.

In conclusion, the first Sailor Moon anime is x→∞ times better than SMC, and even if there wasnt the beloved nineties version, this show is still really poor by todays standards.
Jan 20, 2015 1:06 AM
Jul 2012
Crochax said:
Yes, it's not a remake of the first series. Yes, it's an (almost) faithfull adaptation of the manga. Well, shit. Turns out the manga isn't that good, or at least it didn't age well at all in 25 years.

The manga has aged fine. In fact, if you haven't read it for some reason (or not in awhile), I recommend it. The problem is the fact that they leave out all of the humor and interpersonal relationships/interactions that define the characters. So everyone seems like a bland clone of each other, rather than having any personality at all. The poor animation quality, the poor sound, and overall shit production value all drag the experience down into the dumps. But I don't think that the fact that this is a poor series means anything at all in terms of quality of the manga.

The reality is that this is closer to the original source material but it's not entirely there, mostly because it leaves out the core of the personality of the work in favor of streamlining, which IMO is the serious failing (ignoring the poor production quality).

tl;dr
Closer != exact replication.
That this anime is poor quality does not reflect the quality of the manga. They aren't utilizing it to its full potential. That's not a fault of the manga, it's a fault of Toei.
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Jan 20, 2015 6:29 AM

May 2009
veluriel said:
The problem is the fact that they leave out all of the humor and interpersonal relationships/interactions that define the characters. So everyone seems like a bland clone of each other, rather than having any personality at all.

This is the main problem I have with SMC. Zero emotions. Between crying and and screaming "Sailor Moon!", there isn't much going on.

I started reading the manga years ago and stopped for some reason. If it has been as horrendous as this show I would have dropped it instead of putting i on hold. Fair enough, I'll check it out again once I have more free time, in order to make a proper comparison.
Jan 23, 2015 5:53 AM
Jan 2013
SaveTheAralSea said:
I will never give up on anything Sailor Moon related. :P I'm enjoying this reboot because it actually follows the manga (more closely anyways).

However, with the crappy animation and bi-weekly release, I can understand why some people drop it.

I agree with you. I will never give up Sailor Moon either, I am a die hard fan and I know every adaptation has it pros and cons. But I think that some people drop it because they haven't read the manga and that's a pity in my eyes.
Jan 29, 2015 2:23 AM
Jan 2013
For the manga you need some fantasy yourself not only reading!
They do have different personalities and relationships. I think many people complain because the original also centers around Usagi, Mamoru and Chibiusa.

Yes I know it has been written under pressure and that's why Naoko has a lot to say now in the new anime. Now she can do almost as she wishes. Toei is the problem, they don't understand the manga I think or maybe they have never read it at all.

I don't agree that there are better pieces of anime today. Many animes today have the worst plots ever. For me it looks like they keep recycling the same plots over and over.
Jan 29, 2015 5:18 AM

Jul 2010
I think most people are suffering the nostalgia syndrom. Of course, if you've know the original and are seeing this now....you've grown.... Samewise, more time pass, less things will appear "original", sadly what we thought "original" hardly was to begin with, we just didn't have the according experience to realize it.
Jan 29, 2015 1:04 PM

Nov 2011
YakuKikyo said:
I think most people are suffering the nostalgia syndrom. Of course, if you've know the original and are seeing this now....you've grown.... Samewise, more time pass, less things will appear "original", sadly what we thought "original" hardly was to begin with, we just didn't have the according experience to realize it.

you would think that if the animation was actually good. it's not.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 29, 2015 9:00 PM

Mar 2013
No but I barely give a crap.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Feb 13, 2015 5:12 AM
Jan 2013
I respect everyone's opinion. I will not give up because it's my favourite series all time. And maybe it's the nostalgia factor that makes me watch SMC. But when I take off the nostalgia glasses. Then there's like another Sailor Moon that I've read about in the manga but I just forget the details and the huge story line of the manga. Maybe that's why I can say that it's not only nostalgia.

I really think the story has more depth, is more dark and more mature. That's why I think the new adaption fits well with the serious music and also the animation. Still it gives you like a dreamy feeling with the pastel colours. It has it's faults too but what anime doesn't have it faults. I am not afraid to recognize that this isn't perfect, but it's still enjoyable.
Feb 13, 2015 2:22 PM

Jun 2013
No, I won't give up but it is for me at-least a chore to watch.
Feb 14, 2015 2:51 PM

Mar 2009
They killed SAILOR MOON and buried her very DEAD BODY !! I thought she was immortal :'(
Seriously I'm a HUGE HUGE fan and at the very moment I learnt the cast would be changed, it would be a ONA serie and the precure franchise producers will be heavily involved, I knew they would do a mediocre work try to make money only because of the heritage of the old serie and buckle that up as randomly as it first came !! And after that, NOOOOOO MORE SAILOR MOON ADAPTATION !! Nice Deal Naoko you sold it out and let them blemish the magnificience of the anime ! Why Ikuhara or Igarashi or Satou did not work on that ? Oh wait, they quit TOEI !!

Next ...
Feb 15, 2015 10:48 AM

Jul 2009
Just finished ep. 11 and every episode that I watch I ask myself the same question: Why I still trying? It's kinda boring, slow paced and all...so I guess I am dropping it now.
Feb 15, 2015 12:49 PM
Mar 2013
It's a shame that not many people like the new anime. I'm only up till episode 11 but I've enjoyed it so far. To be honest it doesn't feel as special as the original did and I can understand the criticisms about the bland characters.

Even though there were a lot of fillers in the original series the characters had more episodes to show their personality and growth. Needless to say I plan on finishing the anime because I've never read the manga myself and this is a prime opportunity to see how the actual source material differs from the original anime.
Feb 21, 2015 7:12 AM
May 2012
yup i drop already
it getting boring and i cant stand it
it like cheap shoujo manga
no interaction between character
no dept or development at all
useless shintentou (the other shenshi cry because the past memory LOL)
if this faithfully manga adaptation then glad i didnt read it
it so so boring
Feb 21, 2015 6:11 PM

Apr 2010
I just want Uranus and Neptune in my life. That'll be season 2, I guess. :/
Feb 23, 2015 6:31 AM
Oct 2008
Risa_no_hime said:
But I think that some people drop it because they haven't read the manga and that's a pity in my eyes.

Its a very popular manga. That doesn't change the fact that this is a Horrible Adaptation of what is A fun but silly Story. Take out the fun and you have Crystal... oh also Shitty Key Animation... Shitty Animation in General, Dull Voice-Acting, Forgettable Soundtrack, Horrible Shittenou Exclusive Scenes... I could go on, But I won't.
Feb 25, 2015 10:23 AM
Jan 2015
I'm definitely not dropping it, I'm enjoying watching it without all the filler lol. It looks like the Black Moon arc is going to get more into the individual sailor's personalities, which I'm looking forward to. My only hope is that they remake the Infinity, Dream, and Star arcs as well and in the same fashion :)
Feb 28, 2015 2:37 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
YakuKikyo said:

Nope. I'm still re-watching the old Sailor Moon and it's a much much better series than SMC. The manga was okay but this adaptation is just a spit in the face by Toei.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 28, 2015 2:38 AM

Feb 2015
I gave up after 2 episodes..couldn't go past that..
Mar 7, 2015 4:14 AM

Jan 2015
The only thing making me continue it is the nostalgia :/
Mar 7, 2015 12:12 PM

Jan 2008
I made it to 14, and I'm out. This new arc is just as bad, now they're loosing one sailor scout per episode. Gotta catch them all, I guess.
Mar 10, 2015 6:51 AM
Oct 2008
I watched tlll 17 episode and nothnig changed at all. I think it's routine, just watch every episode and score it 1/10. No big deal
Mar 10, 2015 11:31 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I will watch it until the end but you can tell they put all of the effort and budget in Princess Precure instead.
Mar 21, 2015 12:54 AM
Jan 2013
That's really a pity because Sailor Moon deserves 100% better quality than Pretty Cure.
Mar 21, 2015 12:05 PM

Apr 2008
Bunch of wimps.
Mar 23, 2015 12:25 PM

Feb 2014
I can't help but to watch it lol
Cartoons and anime is my reality.
Mar 23, 2015 1:17 PM

Jul 2014
well, personally i don't wanna give up on Crystal - i'm still interested in the remake. i've read the manga, 've watched the other anime adaptation so i'm pretty much curious how it goes.
but gotta admit that sometimes it feels like sipping some warm lemonade in the hot summer. it's good but not not good enough.
Mar 23, 2015 1:19 PM

Feb 2015
I gave it up a long way back...a shame actually...:(
Mar 24, 2015 10:46 AM

Apr 2010
This is what happens when you don't have Ikuhara on the team.
Mar 26, 2015 6:00 AM

Oct 2008
mugi said:
Risa_no_hime said:
That's really a pity because Sailor Moon deserves 100% better quality than Pretty Cure.

The BD quality is slightly better.

The BD quality is imo how it's supposed to be on TV.
Mar 29, 2015 3:41 PM

Apr 2013
Decided to watch Crystal as someone who barely remembers the show as a kid, and thus am not a fan (but I still know enough to know about Sailor Moon--somewhat, so I guess I'm still technically going in blind). I figured there was something "more" to the show outside of fans making comments about the series because of nostalgia or whatever. I had to take people's words for it before I finally decided to give in and watch it for myself--knowing that I will eventually get to the 90s anime.

I have currently reached episode 12 where Sailor Moon decides to kill herself after slicing open a possessed Tuxedo Mask for the sake of getting the crystal out of him. Which I think has made me go brain dead in trying to figure out the thought process that went through Usagi's head when she did that. Yes, she has her memories as Serenity back, and she did complain "Is this our destiny?!" when it came to their love, but... uh... you had to get the crystal's power out of him. Was the only way to get it out was to kill him? And because you did, and thus probably got the power to make the crystal whole again, why did you stab yourself when apparently you're the only one who can use the crystal to its fullest potential? What, you couldn't wait to see if you could revive him or at least after the evil's been destroyed?

Outside of that, the show's so dull and badly-paced (if you can feel every single minute, that's poor pacing). The animation indeed has a lot of issues even though they're "trying" to distract the viewer with how "purty" everything looks. So it looks a little cleaner than the 90s animation, but that doesn't mean the animation's any better. A bi-weekly release makes no sense with this kind of animation, if you ask me. It's like no one over there knows how anatomy (both human and feline) works even though I guess they're trying to implement Naoko Takeuchi's art-style into the show. (Which brought up another question to me as to whether-or-not Takeuchi had gone back to update her art in recent years prior to Kodansha republishing the manga over here, because I distinctly remember the art looking funky back in the day.) The only thing I'm kinda okay with animation-wise are the transformation scenes because the CGI doesn't really bother me (despite being out-of-place), but the iconic 90s animation transformation sequences are still better. I guess it's no wonder they decided to stream this online instead of airing it on TV.

Characters are just as bad, with Usagi probably being the worst for me. She's ungodly annoying to me, and it may or may not be her shrill voice, but she just hasn't really changed much, and after becoming Serenity again, all of a sudden she's like an entirely different person (though still with her Usagi qualities), but is still not a good character. It's almost like she took a step backward as soon as she got her memories back. The other Sailor Senshi I don't think are really worth mentioning, I can't really tell you what I like or don't like about them because they're just there to be cheerleaders/bodyguards. It's like as soon as they became the Sailor Senshi in their debut episodes, their character/personality just went out the window, and have remained stagnant.

Oh, and don't get me started with the "story". So it's trying to be a fairytale, okay. It's not very good. In fact, it feels pretty dated to me. I haven't really read the manga, so maybe it's executed better and still holds up, but the anime's not doing that. I'm not a feminist, but while I do understand the romanticism and escapism of the magical girl genre, and in the ability for young girls to gain their independence, I don't think Crystal is doing that very well. It feels like a bad Disney princess film for lack of a better description.

Soundtrack's alright. I like anything with the choir. The OP's not bad either (even though its message is laughably non-existent in the show itself). That's about it.

I have a no-drop policy, so it's on my list to stay, but as soon as I catch up, I'll probably start feeling the pain with everyone else. I really do feel bad for the girls getting into Sailor Moon this way, but hopefully this'll spark more interest in the original series, even though Toei is probably not going to care.
Lil-BirdMar 29, 2015 3:45 PM
Mar 29, 2015 5:14 PM

Jun 2008
I grew up on the original SM series and even then many of the storylines I didn't like, especially when it was Americanized.

Now my issues with this remake.
1) I don't like the fact it was done as an ONA and
2) the fact that it's bi-weekly. This was enough to make me almost kill myself. With things busy as it for me, having to wait every 2 weeks for an episode was to much. I think I've been stuck at episode 12 for 3 months now. It would have followed the format of FMA:B. Just these two reasons are enough for me to want to quit...but it's not as bad as others, so I'll finish this off.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 30, 2015 11:27 PM

Sep 2014
Nah, I'm still enjoying it for nostalgia reasons. I wish it wasn't airing bi-weekly though.

[/center]
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.