Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Dec 7, 2018 9:18 AM

Aug 2013
Decent start. Finally got the chance to watch this.

Jan 9, 2019 6:24 PM
Jan 2019
This is how to make an introduction. Episode 1 of NGE is great beacuse how it builds the tention and ends in the perfect timing creating hype for the next episode. I can't give 5/5 bacause there are so many better episodes but as an introduction if fits perfectly
Mar 15, 2019 11:27 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty good first episode to set up the whole premise of the show!

Shinji Ikari is just as apathetic as I imagined he’d be considering his fame on the negative side but it didn’t bother me too much this episode. A lot of focus on Misato this episode and honestly she’s been quite interesting. Her inner monologues during the drive was hilarious, xD. Seems like she has her own troubles too and like Ikari, it’s probably something to do with their respective fatherly figures. Speaking of fathers, Shiji’s father seems to be quite the heartless parent. I’m sure he’s keeping a few things to himself here, too. Curious to see what all those will be about in time. A little bit of focus on Rei’s Character here too, looks like she was the sole pilot for this mysterious Organization, Nerv I believe it was, but I’m curious regarding her sudden and short appearance at the start right before the Angels arrival and that injured state of hers in the end just makes it all the more mysterious.

Got to say though, Shinji and Misato surviving that explosion that occurred right in front of them was a bit perplexing and downgrading but I hope such things will be kept at a minimum from here onwards.

I’m really interested to see how this show will take on the human v kaiju premise, I’ve heard it’s quite the unique take after all.

On another note, glad to finally be able to watch this! I’ve been meaning to binge this for a while but just never got around to it for whatever reasons holding me back. I’ll watch the recap movies before the upcoming End of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Movie, that’s due later next year, but I’ll make sure to binge the tv series tonight and watch the End of Evangelion Movie sometime tomorrow.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 19, 2019 12:59 PM
Oct 2018
Dumb question: Does the line "Get in the damn/fucking robot, Shinji!" actually get said in the series?

Or is it one of those "Play it again, Sam", "Houstin, we have a problem" deals, where it's just paraphrased? (I've seen it before, so I know Shinji's a big emo pussy who doesn't want to get in the robot/not-actually-a-robot, and that Gendo *wants* him to get in the damn/fucking robot/not-actually-a-robot. But I don't recall ever actually hearing the line)

But OMFG the art, especially the mech/monster design in NGE is nuts. The Eva, and first Angel, are cool af,

Apollo18Apr 19, 2019 1:02 PM
Apr 19, 2019 2:29 PM

Dec 2015
@Apollo18 Never. It's not a quote, take it simply as a caricature of a certain kind of audience (yelling at the screen/Shinji)

Have a good time revisiting it.

June 23, 2019
@SomaHeir *_* You got all the magnificent covers that Sadamoto made for the Renewal/Platinum edition ! (the german single discs being too expensive, I bought the 10€ french box, thus getting only one paperboard case with Rei in Shinji's arms)

Why are the endings removed??

I'm not sure what's wrong with watching it on Netflix (never used videostream on anything else than my handheld) apart from all the signs/texts left untranslated but I can say my 720x540 DVDs had a perfect picture and the whole content translated.
I always thought having two discs with the eps 21-24 was useless, but I see that it's now even worse with "Rebirth" being on 3 discs.

@testamentKAISER It would be tedious to get the 20+versions of Fly me to the Moon used as endings.

June 24, 2019
LeafJonin said:
Here from netflix in 2019

I hope you didn't "believe" the Netflix trailer. (I wonder how Anno/khara let it pass)

April 6, 2020
@Excuses I am sorry to be the one telling you that but I fear that it will only go "down" for you from here on. (with a few bumps because it's nevertheless a weekly action series with its share of short bursts of action that might excite you)
I have no idea what peoples told you (I am curious to know) but it's easy to see that you came with great but wrong expectations.

Have a good watch if you stick along. Maybe you'll find it worthy of interest even if it's nothing like what pleases you.

About Fly Me to the Moon, Sinatra is only its most famous interpret. (anecdote from a documentary I once saw ^^).

October 6, 2020
AbiSa said:
And what the fuck is with the sexual fan service, I fucking hate it!.

What the hell is the sexual service here? o_O (There is some regularly over the series though. Plus one scene, rather infamous on here, that people "believe" is fanservice only because it has a kind of intercourse)

@TK8878 Your (reasonable) questions will indeed be answered.
The complaints come from the finale, the last two episodes, dropping the whole SF coat along its intrigue (apart from giving two-three clues about its outcome).

I wish you a good time !
Rei_IIIMar 18, 2021 7:49 AM
Apr 22, 2019 5:03 AM

May 2016
They just blew up a nuke and the two of them got out of it unscathed. Her car's gotta be made out of Angels to survive that shockwave.

Shinji was invited by his dad out of nowhere just to get him to ride a big-ass robot without training because of their only other pilot being out of commission because of her injuries from her previous missions. It took her 7 months to get used to it so I understand why he's so hesitant to get in the robot but at least he decided to do so after seeing Rei all battered like that.

The opening's definitely iconic and I absolutely love the ED!

May 15, 2019 5:17 PM
Apr 2016
Interesting first episode. Seems like due to his father, he is forced to take giant responsibility, apparently humanity is doomed because of these "angels," and he, the main character, has to defeat one of the "angels."
May 30, 2019 2:51 AM
Dec 2018
Really good introductory episode. Love the op and ed. Misato seems nice. Shinji's father seems evil let's see what happens next...
Jun 22, 2019 3:52 PM

Dec 2014
Rewatching this again on Netflix, although I prefer Japanese audio over eng dub on every anime, I kinda like/love the English original dub of NGE. :)
testamentKAISERJun 22, 2019 3:56 PM
Jun 23, 2019 1:03 AM

Jul 2009
Finally rewatching this again on BD. As to why people would watch the Netflix crap version or any stream version baffles me. Although I know that the new English version is actually following the JPN script rather than old dub. It's still missing a couple of translations as well as no "Fly to the Moon" ED. Yikes.

Strong start as always! I always remember how Evangelion truly was ahead of time. The fact they were able to create this futuristic structure as well as have these all animated.

Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Evangelion. Japanese are truly ahead of everyone else back then.

I can't wait for the next one!! I remember Misato's JPN voice is the same as Sailor Moon :)

Also Evangelion (TV, Death and Rebirth, End) JPN BD set is being rereleased once again on 7.24 for 18,000円+税 (Tax). Original release was back in 2015 (20th Anniversary)

https://dengekionline.com/articles/4171/

BD sets

Disc 1-5: TV 26 Episodes
Disc 6: Death/Rebirth
Disc 7: End of Eva
Disc 8: Death True/Air
Disc 9: DC Episodes
Disc 10: Radio Video with Seiyuu cast

Volume 1-8 Covers.

No excuse for not watching the BD instead.

Jun 23, 2019 4:55 AM

Dec 2014
SomaHeir said:
Finally rewatching this again on BD. As to why people would watch the Netflix crap version or any stream version baffles me. Although I know that the new English version is actually following the JPN script rather than old dub. It's still missing a couple of translations as well as no "Fly to the Moon" ED. Yikes.

Well if people don't like the Netflix English dub, they can switch to the
Original Japanese dub. And if they want to hear the NGE Ed fly me to the moon, they can do a quick YouTube search, easy. Plus they can listen to it as long as they want.
Jun 23, 2019 9:33 AM
Jan 2018
SomaHeir said:

Strong start as always! I always remember how Evangelion truly was ahead of time. The fact they were able to create this futuristic structure as well as have these all animated.

Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Evangelion. Japanese are truly ahead of everyone else back then.

I can't wait for the next one!! I remember Misato's JPN voice is the same as Sailor Moon :)

Also Evangelion (TV, Death and Rebirth, End) JPN BD set is being rereleased once again on 7.24 for 18,000円+税 (Tax). Original release was back in 2015 (20th Anniversary)

https://dengekionline.com/articles/4171/

BD sets

Disc 1-5: TV 26 Episodes
Disc 6: Death/Rebirth
Disc 7: End of Eva
Disc 8: Death True/Air
Disc 9: DC Episodes
Disc 10: Radio Video with Seiyuu cast

Volume 1-8 Covers.

No excuse for not watching the BD instead.

sure ill grab 131.00 pounds plus tax from a tree
Jun 23, 2019 6:35 PM

Jul 2016
You know, I watched the english dub, and left the captions on, and they're sooooooo different. Not really sure why, Netflix re-dubbed and re-subbed everything in english. Why don't their dub and captions/subtitles match? I mean...it's not even close...oh well. I did enjoy the dub though. Just miffed that it doesn't match the captions.
Jun 24, 2019 8:28 AM
Mar 2019
Here from netflix in 2019
Jun 26, 2019 6:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I watched this several times long before I joined MAL, so with the new Netflix release I have an excuse to rewatch and actually comment on it.

First thought, no wonder this was such an incredible success back in its time. A perfect start that just grabs you by the balls. What crazy future world is this and why is all this happening? The mechanical designs and technology are all top notch. And the adults, save Misato, are a bunch of assholes that have no qualms into sticking a terrified child into a purple monster in order to survive. And berate him for refusing. It's terrifying and fascinating at the same time.

I'm not an English dub kind of guy(save very few shows that got it just right), since I believe the standard of voice acting in Japan is superior to the one offered in the US. So I cannot say about that. The translations do seem a bit stiffer in order to stick to the literal Japanese. I dont know how much that will help/affect for understanding the future plot.

The 3 things I did NOT like.
Lack of translation of some of the signs that appear onscreen.

The stupid insistence on calling them "3rd Children" in the plural when referring to the singular. Stop being so stubborn Khara, it sounds wrong and does not affect the plot /story whatsoever to call them the gramatically correct "Child"

No "Fly Me to the Moon" Come on Netflix, you're loaded!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 26, 2019 11:04 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rei366 said:
@Farabeuf You'll have the endings if you watch the japanese multi-lingual version on Netflix, people said.
I doubt that khara insisted on the translation keeping the bad grammar, my DVDs from only a few years ago (series & Shin Eva) have all "Child".

As for the litteral translation, there is a now famous (on the inter et) less litteral translation for one of Kaworu's "poems": he "likes" Shinji (in french, they went as far as "je t'aime bien" to attenuate the verb "aimer"/love since it can express most degrees by itself).

I watched the version in Japanese and it does not have the Fly Me to the Moon. It is only if you're watching Netflix in Japan itself, that you get the original ending. Or using a VPN of course.
For the record I do not have the urge do watch it like that. I have my trusty Platinum Collection DVD's if I want to see the ending.
You're right in that the original translations always had the right grammar for the "Third Child". That was the right thing to do. And that is what you and I are used to too.
But this new Netflix translation was specifically commisioned and controlled by Khara. And they insisted on using the term "Children" even in the singular.
So far I don't mind the translation other than the Children thing. I'm fine with it being more literal, specially if ADV back in the day took too many liberties. Japanese and English are a difficult combination to translate to and from. When I read Japanese literature (Mishima, Murakami, Oe, Soseki etc) I tend to prefer reading them in Spanish, since I feel the flow and rythm of the language is more compatible and allows more figure of polite speech when needed. English has a hard time with that.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 26, 2019 1:44 PM
Jan 2018
Farabeuf said:
Rei366 said:
@Farabeuf You'll have the endings if you watch the japanese multi-lingual version on Netflix, people said.
I doubt that khara insisted on the translation keeping the bad grammar, my DVDs from only a few years ago (series & Shin Eva) have all "Child".

As for the litteral translation, there is a now famous (on the inter et) less litteral translation for one of Kaworu's "poems": he "likes" Shinji (in french, they went as far as "je t'aime bien" to attenuate the verb "aimer"/love since it can express most degrees by itself).

I watched the version in Japanese and it does not have the Fly Me to the Moon. It is only if you're watching Netflix in Japan itself, that you get the original ending. Or using a VPN of course.
For the record I do not have the urge do watch it like that. I have my trusty Platinum Collection DVD's if I want to see the ending.
You're right in that the original translations always had the right grammar for the "Third Child". That was the right thing to do. And that is what you and I are used to too.
But this new Netflix translation was specifically commisioned and controlled by Khara. And they insisted on using the term "Children" even in the singular.
So far I don't mind the translation other than the Children thing. I'm fine with it being more literal, specially if ADV back in the day took too many liberties. Japanese and English are a difficult combination to translate to and from. When I read Japanese literature (Mishima, Murakami, Oe, Soseki etc) I tend to prefer reading them in Spanish, since I feel the flow and rythm of the language is more compatible and allows more figure of polite speech when needed. English has a hard time with that.

a bit weird to go for children instead of child . ???? anyway when that appears it instantly read child instead and this is first time im watching this series
Jul 11, 2019 10:52 PM
Apr 2019
Currently re-watching the series to compare the ADV and Netflix versions of each episode.

Here are some observations:

*After the car flips over, Spencer coughs while saying he has dirt in his mouth. Casey does not do this for some reason.

*Does anybody else find it weird how Misato says "Are they nuts?" in the Netflix version before the N2 mine is detonated?

According to the subs that line is not in the Japanese version. An instance where the ADV translated the dialogue more faithfully.

*Gendo's dialogue is so much stronger in the ADV effort.

*The comedic scenes in the ADV dub are much more effective, especially the care scene between Shinji and Misato. I find it weird how the Netflix version doesn't make it necessarily clear that Misato stole the batteries.

I also loved how ADV changed Shinji's line from "We passed here already." to "We passed through here twice." I dare say it's twice as funny.

*Why did the Netflix dub change Ritsuko's line from "Low on time and manpower." to "Too short on time and people."

A bit of a nitpick I know but it's a less accurate translation than the ADV effort.

*I find it interesting how the ADV added dialogue in to explain the cultural-specfic pun in the 0-9 system line. The Netflix version doesn't do this.

*So weird hearing Gendo utter "basterd" in the Netflix dub. It's accurate yes but I just have trouble imagining him saying that word. Probably just too used to Tristan MacAvery's interpretation.

*I like Mistato's "Can we really do this?" line before EVA 01 launches. It's not accurate necessarily but I liked how it not only humanized her but also provided a better lead into Gendo's speech on how the EVA's are mankind last hope. The ADV dialogue just has such a beautiful flow to me.

*Overall, the ADV version is a solid first effort despite some narm and iffy voice acting. MacAvery and Spencer immediately knock it out of the park with their roles.

*Not quite feeling the Netflix Shinji yet nor Ritsuko and Maya. Misato, Gendo and Fuyutsuki are decent thus far.
Jul 26, 2019 5:50 PM

Jun 2015
damn this is fast paced as hell
Oct 4, 2019 8:07 AM

Oct 2012
For the 1st episode it's way too normal xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 7, 2019 8:09 AM

Nov 2017
Re-watching!~

Ahhh, yes. I remember there was some character in an anime who broke a pencil, but I couldn't remember what series it was from. Should've known it was this one lol
Oct 28, 2019 4:39 AM

Sep 2011
It was interesting, reminded me a lot of Xenogears. I hope that the MC doesn't keeping being so annoying during the whole series.
Jan 5, 2020 9:57 AM

Sep 2017
Shinji: "Father!"

Me: "I found the Motif."
LordQuazJan 5, 2020 10:08 AM
Apr 5, 2020 8:13 PM

Oct 2019
i've got high hopes for this and everything i've heard about it. that ed though xd. i had no idea it would be a cover of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me To The Moon".
nothing that appeals to me so far, i hope it gets a heap better because this is a lot lower than my expectations.

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Apr 6, 2020 3:10 AM

Oct 2019
Rei_III said:
April 6, 2020
@Excuses I am sorry to be the one telling you that but I fear that it will only go "down" for you from here on. (with a few bumps because it's nevertheless a weekly action series with its share of short bursts of action that might excite you)
I have no idea what peoples told you (I am curious to know) but it's easy to see that you came with great but wrong expectations.

Have a good watch if you stick along. Maybe you'll find it worthy of interest even if it's nothing like what pleases you.

About Fly Me to the Moon, Sinatra is only its most famous interpret. (anecdote from a documentary I once saw ^^).
I've heard that NGE is a "hit or miss" for pretty much everyone. I can see it in a lot of favourites and it's one of the main pre 2000s anime i hear a lot about. (along with Bebop and Berserk.)
I'm actually really pleased with the animation, i think it looks really clean and nice, i just feel like we're being kept in the dark about a lot. Reading the MAL overview on the series has given me more information than the two episodes that i've seen so far.
Two episodes though, a lot of time for it to improve for me!
I also heard that the ed changes most episodes (?)

Thanks for giving me some precautions about what i may think after watching more episodes, i'm still quite curious about where the story will go so i will continue watching more. ^_^
ImmuneApr 6, 2020 3:13 AM

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
May 22, 2020 8:55 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Finally getting started with this.

Funny, Ive definitely heard the OP theme before.

I thought the dated animation would make it difficult for me to enjoy this but I've already adjusted, it's actually pretty good considering how old it is.

Give me the giant robot battles!
May 31, 2020 12:21 PM
Jun 2015
Interesting 1 Episode...a lot of questions have risen xDD
I think I made the right decission by starting to watch this anime for the first time now!
Btw I must say that art and animation are pretty good for a 90s show!
Jun 2, 2020 7:11 PM
Jan 2018
It's a good introduction. We understand that there is a World Government, which uses EVA to protect the population of the “angels”. So far, some mysteries have been raised, such as: what are these angels? how is EVA controlled and does it have a life of its own?
In addition, there seems to be a kind of physical and psychological connection between the pilot and the EVA.
Like it, 4/5.
Jul 11, 2020 4:00 PM

Feb 2020
i'm so so so excited to finally be starting this, i have wanted to see it for YEARS but i kept putting it off for random reasons and now we're here!!

i absolutely adore the style of this, the 90s art style has such a unique charm and soul to it that i was watching with a huge smile on my face. it feels a lot more personal almost? i don't know, i just love it. plus i love giant robots so it's a double win for me

i really really hope this show is as good as my expectations because so far i love it
Sep 24, 2020 2:04 AM

Apr 2020
"Fine" episode, this will probably be my first Mecha series.

Dad is not so considerable to his son's feelings.

And what the fuck is with the sexual fan service, I fucking hate it! Hope they isn't too much of it.
--AbiSa--
Oct 6, 2020 1:13 PM

Aug 2018
Finaly decided to watch this show which is more known for its super iconic opening. First episode so far is pretty impressive and the animation looks very good for 1995
Oct 13, 2020 8:38 AM

Jun 2020
That was a great start, it got right into it. Also don’t understand the Shinji hate, I already feel bad for him.

Also do yourself a favour & DONT watch it on Netflix please

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Oct 22, 2020 11:31 PM

Dec 2012
2015 A.D.
Shinji Ikari.
Dat pic. You have my attention.
What is that?
An angel?
Its her.
Shinji got that oppai right in front of him.
Dat ass.
Dat explosion.
Misato.
It lives.
Nerv.

A good start. Dat OP song is fire! Nice Ed song. Hello Misato. Meant to rewatch this on October 4th, the 25th anniversary date, but I didn't finish my previous series in time. Better 19 days late than never.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 6, 2020 12:30 AM

May 2018
The strained relationship between them is something I have not seen much from what little anime I've seen, the closest I can think of is Ginoza and Masaoka from Psycho Pass. It's interesting to see if it will be that way for the rest of the series. Also, Shinji so far is quite a normal guy. He's about 14 right? Then it makes sense for him to not want to be forced into doing something he deems impossible.
Don't really have thoughts about it yet, other than it's pretty powerful. The ending preview already spoiled that Shinji wins, but I hope it's more by Shinji learning how to use the Eva than pure luck.

Dec 29, 2020 8:23 PM

Aug 2019
whelp, i guess this marks the start of my path to ascension. I shamefully haven't watched this anime until now, and i'm fucking buckling up for my share with the Neon Genesis Evangelion series.

Intense fucking first episode, lots of explosions and action right of the bat. Some drama as well, surprised they jumped right in to it, but i'm not gonna complain.
The op, even thought i've heard it hundreds of times already from anime memes and such, still sounds like a banger.
Jan 19, 2021 1:56 AM

Jun 2015
fantastic intro episode, conscious of its limited space

i love how much is given without feeling overwhelming
characters are established, their desires and flaws, with hardly any exposition
and what is given is intentionally confusing, just like the quick edits
shinji's anxiety is really portrayed well here

the missile to arm scene is an animation fan's wet dream, btw
codyJan 19, 2021 2:27 AM

Feb 13, 2021 8:59 AM

Feb 2020
pretty good. kinda confused with some things. i see people saying shinji was annoying but honestly i would have the same reaction as him in that situation.

the ost is pretty good, i like the opening. the colors and animation are nice and i love that 90s art style.

they kinda really jumped into it, which i honestly don't have an issue with. i hope some of the questions i have get addressed.

time for episode 2!
Feb 28, 2021 11:31 PM

Mar 2010
Wow what a POS dad. Usually dads want to keep their children from danger. It is normal for Shinji to not want to go in a machine to fight a large monster. Telling Shinji to stop whining because hes a boy when he just says "I am nauseous" just annoyed me. Not liking the adults of this anime already.
StardewFeb 28, 2021 11:37 PM
Mar 5, 2021 7:01 AM

Nov 2019
So here we are, an anime that everyone watched at least once in their life, one of the most iconic series of my childhood. Sadly I never watched the serie entirely, and I’m here to make up for it. Let’s go, Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Mar 13, 2021 10:58 PM
Jan 2021
Knave said:
Why is everyone jumping on that hospitalized chicks pussy already? We only saw 3 seconds of her, and she didn't even do anything.

An ok episode. Felt a bit rushed, but whatever.

Exactly. Rei is such a dull character. I don't even think they drew her particularly attractive?
Mar 16, 2021 1:06 PM

Jun 2020
Whoo can't wait for the heated debates I'll probably find myself getting into as a result of starting this anime

So far I think it's cool tho I see no problems
Mar 17, 2021 12:34 PM

Jun 2016
I suppose most of the usual complaints stem from later in the anime because this was a pretty good start. Steady character introductions, subtle worldbuilding, plenty of visual flare (a few odd takes but hardly Gainax's worst), and a few things to wonder about without being confusing. Can't say teenage me would've acted like Shinji but he's far from an unreasonable portrayal of a random teen off the street getting thrust into war by his dad. Hopefully we learn why the "synthetic human Evangelion" (that name can't be coincidental!) instinctively protected him and why the angel is such a threat when it only seemed to attack when looking for something or was hit first.

@Rei_III Good to know, thanks for letting me know!
TK8878Mar 18, 2021 2:38 AM
Apr 26, 2021 12:12 PM

Apr 2021
Started much better than I expected, but voice acting was wack at times

4/5
May 2, 2021 12:56 PM

Jul 2019
I think this was a good episode. No clue as to why tf Shinji is supposed to pilot the Eva when he has zero experience but ok lol.
May 7, 2021 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
Lmfao, first thing we see -- the theme song -- is a biblically accurate angel.

I'm sure people didn't think much of it back then, but given the context of modern-day memes, it was endearing.

To be honest, I have trouble when there's a lot of context and lore to a story. Right off the bat, we're thrown into a complex world. And yet, I feel like this show explains it pretty well, with the only lingering question after Episode 1 is why Shinji is specifically needed to operate the Eva. And of course wtf the "Angels" want. But I think it's cool how such a complex and elaborate story can be easily understood if you're paying attention. Even if it means going back ten seconds to reread all the subtitles, if you didn't quite comprehend it the first time.

For its time, the animation is pretty regular, and I think we all need to acknowledge that aspect. Still (despite being criticized for doing this in later episodes) I think it's safe to say that they didn't cut corners too much or in an obvious manner.

And with the distinction between animation and art/style in minds, I think the art/style and color palette is absolutely gorgeous. Every frame is a potential wallpaper.
removed-userMay 7, 2021 5:31 PM
May 7, 2021 5:35 PM
Jul 2018
then said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Was that a nuke they hit that thing with at the start?

Weird that it didn't do anything, and that kid and that chick survived that close o_0.

I get a kick out of the fact that this is the first post on the entire forum -- the first episode of one of the most classic anime on the #1 DB site. It's a good question, don't get me wrong. But I think there are a lot of other observations that could've been made hehe.

I think the point of the nuke (for this episode) was to demonstrate how nearly indestructible angels are. Explosions can't harm them -- I guess especially if they shield their weak spots -- but that Eva's are more efficient than nukes because they can engage in human-like combat.

And, of course the "kid and chick" survived the nuke lol. They were pretty far to begin with, and they were also within their car. Close enough to be pushed by the strong winds, but far enough so as to not get burned or jacked up.
Jun 2, 2021 7:44 PM
May 2012
maiawatchesanime said:
i'm so so so excited to finally be starting this, i have wanted to see it for YEARS but i kept putting it off for random reasons and now we're here!!

i absolutely adore the style of this, the 90s art style has such a unique charm and soul to it that i was watching with a huge smile on my face. it feels a lot more personal almost? i don't know, i just love it. plus i love giant robots so it's a double win for me

i really really hope this show is as good as my expectations because so far i love it

Same here, though I don't like giant robots that much.
Jun 3, 2021 10:45 AM

Feb 2020
Tengai said:
maiawatchesanime said:

OMG WHAT how is that even possible, giant robots are the coolest thing ever!!! hopefully eva will make you like them more :))
Jun 4, 2021 2:09 AM
May 2012
maiawatchesanime said:
Tengai said:

OMG WHAT how is that even possible, giant robots are the coolest thing ever!!! hopefully eva will make you like them more :))

I actually don't have any reason haha, maybe because I don't enjoy mecha Anime that much. We'll see about that!
Jun 7, 2021 5:52 AM

Apr 2020
Decent first ep.
Watching the OP made me feel like this was going to be a very complex story

Pretty hilarious that they had to make Rei extremely pitiful just so Shinji would pity her and stop chickening out
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.