Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 24, 2014 1:52 PM

Dec 2011
Chibi-Alice said:

And holy crap Makoto with glasses!!
I know he looked totes adorbs with glasses on! Cute way to end the series, liked it way better than S1 8/10

Sep 24, 2014 2:00 PM

Nov 2012
What a great way to end the series! I love how everything was wrapped up in a touching way.

Haru telling his friends what he had been thinking, really trusting them. And then that beautiful scene with the relay where everyone saw different things to do with the ocean. :)

Entire season 7/10 for me - nearly an 8!
Sep 24, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2014
A nice slow ending to the series with recap from both seasons.

During the relay race, I thought haru-chan would see the dolphin but instead he saw butterflies and his teammates. Then for rei-chan I thought he would see butterflies, but he saw penguins...

Looking forward to season 3 if it gets broadcast.

Sep 24, 2014 2:40 PM

May 2013
So much emotions for this episode holy moly T_T

"For the future".... it's not the end is it?

Literally teared up, the feels its too real ahhhh.

What an amazing series! 10/10
Sep 24, 2014 2:46 PM

Jul 2009
ehhh.. this episode felt especially gay. it was just too.. happy and 'hehe, oh you' kind of feel to it. i started thinking, maybe if they all wore a wig, id probably mistaken them for girls. ugh.

and 6th place only? bleh. maybe 3rd at least? lol. well rei is still new to swimming, but cmon haru is suppose to be a machine and matoko is at least half decent. they also suppose to have amazing nakama powers (aka synergy in their low exchange times).

overall, 7/10. much better than s1. drama was decently executed. the finale was lackluster. i was hoping they focused/honed in more on the competitive elements like the usual sports anime and made it a thriller versus... well, whatever i just saw. there was no exciting final race whatsoever, so im a bit conflicted. there was just a lot of fluff. oh well.
Sep 24, 2014 3:15 PM

Oct 2011
It's over NOOOOOOOOOOO

Iwatobi has new membere T_____T

NItori- senpai
Sep 24, 2014 3:39 PM

Jun 2010
That was a super sweet episode, but I still liked season one's ending better. For a finale episode, it was a bit boring, especially when they reminisced.

I'm just imagining captain Nitori carrying on the Samezuka tradition at the end of his third year :P.
Sep 24, 2014 3:42 PM

Mar 2012
6th Place? Noobs.

"For the future.", huh? I predict another season in a year or two.
Sep 24, 2014 3:44 PM
Aug 2011
b1GZZ said:
6th Place? Noobs.

They are winners at heart and that's all that matters.
Sep 24, 2014 3:51 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Nice ending, though it could've done without the reminiscing part. The relay was fun to watch and I liked seeing how Makoto and Haru were both in Tokyo. I knew Haru would go with Makoto to Tokyo :P They're inseparable. The cherry blossoms in the swimming pool was a nice touch too, especially the way Rin dramatically said that he'll show them the most incredible sight they've never seen before. Anyways, overall, this season was okay. I really like the animation and the visuals, as well as most of the characters, the bgm, but the drama was never something I enjoyed in Free. The ending still gave me some warm feelings though, that's one thing I think KyoAni is good at doing.
Sep 24, 2014 3:57 PM

Mar 2014
;v; Oh, the last episode </3

Definetly this is far better than the first season. Rin character is more enjoyable,
Sousuke's backstory is much feel, good swim races and the scene where Haru
found his dream, no have price. Really this season make a must to watch the
first season (which I gave a 8/10) just to enjoy this one.

So I gonna give this series a 9/10!
Sep 24, 2014 4:09 PM

Jul 2013
this episode was decent but season 1's ending was much better imo. it would've been better if there wasn't a recap in the middle of the episode. overall, this season was good but the pacing could've been better.

at least, we finally got to see haru, nagisa and rei's parents.

i wish this show got a 3rd season even though a 3rd season wouldn't really work. i hope this isn't the last time we get to see this great cast

8/10
Sep 24, 2014 4:14 PM

Jun 2013
Going to miss this show a lot. 9/10
Sep 24, 2014 4:32 PM

Aug 2009
OH MY GOD.... I AM AN EMPTY SOUL.... I DON'T WANNA LIVE........ I DON'T WANT THIS...............MY HEART... HURTS............... SO MUCH......... ITS OVER....FREE IS OVER................

Goodbye my loves that made me smile so much for 2 summers straight. Goodbye my boys that gave me such joy and laughs. Good bye these angels that were 2d perfection. Even if Kyoani makes another sports anime, no one can ever replace you T ~ T I LOVE YOU FREE! Q ~ Q ....Im so alone.......

also, the ending song was beautiful T ^ T what do I do with my life now???
Sep 24, 2014 4:42 PM

Oct 2011
Literally the only thing I cared about was what Haru was going to do in regards to Makoto's move to Tokyo. I end up being pleasantly surprised and really happy that he also moved to Tokyo hah. I really didn't want them to separate... at all.

The only thing I didn't like was that the whole season focused on Haru's refusal to do competitive swimming and thats what he ended up doing anyway... and the resolve for that was really weak. It was kind of sudden and didn't make much sense. But whatever. I feel like I got to see more Makoto this season and that's really all that mattered to me pfft.

I honestly don't want another season though... Please don't do it, KyoAni...
Sep 24, 2014 4:51 PM

Feb 2013
My heart is broken...gonna miss the boys

P.D: Makoto in the university with those glasses *throws panties at the screen*

Sep 24, 2014 4:54 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
That ending was too good TwT

I'm gonna miss this show.....I'm happy that everyone had their dreams come true though ^^

8/10
Sep 24, 2014 5:00 PM

Jun 2008
kokkuri said:
-Akie said:
I rewatched the ending twice, but I still don't see Haru's parents..where are they??

at 14:21 with makoto's parents, when they show the spectators, a few seconds afeter Kisumi

Aww i saw them! You could clearly tell that it was Haru's dad.
Sep 24, 2014 5:32 PM

May 2010
Not enough Gou.
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Sep 24, 2014 5:37 PM

Apr 2013
That's a really good way to wrap up the series
What an emotional, fun and perfect ending
i cried several times and this is the best episode of free imo
9/10
Sep 24, 2014 6:03 PM

Jan 2011
IchigoHollowfi said:
Not enough Gou.

Quote for truth

7/10 was enjoyable most of the drama didn't really get to me,and i won't lie i'm legit salty of the lack of Gou this season.

also Momo best friggin character
Sep 24, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2012
Well so they came in 6th place at Nationals well dang that is better than nothing.

I really loved Free in all of its good and bad moments. I will truly miss this series.

Great episode and series!!!
Sep 24, 2014 6:07 PM

Jul 2014
Very last scene was really cool. Those tears, though. Cute show. 7/10
Sep 24, 2014 6:10 PM

Oct 2013
Im glad to see Makoharu at the end. haru needs mako to take care of him. LOL. Great S2!!
Sep 24, 2014 6:25 PM
Aug 2014
That was just adorable. I loved this even more than the first season. 9/10
Sep 24, 2014 6:35 PM

Jul 2012
I'm tempted to bump up my rating just because of this incredible finale. Now, THAT'S how you end a sports anime. I'd love more Free! even though this kind of ending is so conclusive and hints that there won't be any more seasons. If KyoAni can do another sports anime as great as this, I'm so in. But really, it gave me the same vibes as Chihayafuru. ;_;

ahhh I don't know what else to say. This season is a huge improvement from the previous and I really liked Haru's character development (as well as everyone else's) so much that I'm going to rewatch both seasons eventually (probably not this year though)

I didn't expect another seiyuu insert song!! So happy and I'm definitely gonna download the single when it comes out.
Sep 24, 2014 6:40 PM

Aug 2013
Great soundtrack during the race... and it's nice that Haru and Makoto both went to Tokyo. Yet somehow inwardly I hoped that Haru wouldn't go to pro swimming... oh well, it suits him.

Definitely better than the first season, but, honestly, this episode didn't move me too much. I guess I've just been expecting this resolution for too long, haha.

I like the ending with Iwatobi getting new members. Wish I knew what Sousuke chose to do, though...
Sep 24, 2014 7:14 PM

Nov 2013
kinda boring episode
Sep 24, 2014 7:15 PM

Aug 2013
This entire season has been a vast improvement over the first, not only in terms of the drama, but the story as well.
The characters became much more rounded and have been fleshed out very well over these 13 episodes. The emotional character development and fierce drama kept me on the brink of tears and on the edge of my seat.
The moving story of these boys finally pulled me in after a comparatively lackluster first season. Almost everything about this second season has been a pleasant surprise. For a slice of life sports shounen, I enjoyed it even more than the second season of "Kuroko no Basket".

I personally thought that there were far too many flashbacks for the Iwatobi High School Swim Club in this episode. It really took up time that could have been used to expand upon the equally interesting, if not more compelling, Samezuka Academy Swimming Team.
Speaking of their team, it certainly seems like it has a large cast of colourful, but yet to be introduced, characters. I can only dream that Kyoto Animation will put them to work somehow in the future.

I suppose that in the future, Rin might compete under the flag of Australia instead of that of Japan's.
This gave me an idea of Sousuke going to the United States for further medical treatment and rehabilitation, which ends up with him competing as a part of the American team. :P

P.S. When I saw that there was another woman sitting with Nagisa's parents, I realized that I completely forgot that he had older sisters (three in fact).

P.S.S. Sokka Momo has a lot of potential with that boomerang.
Sep 24, 2014 7:23 PM

Jun 2012
So they only made 6th place? It seemed like they won the thing. Strangely enough I'll miss this anime.
Sep 24, 2014 7:27 PM

Jun 2012
Solid ending, that part with the animals was lame though. And that pool scene with the sakura petals was fittingly gay.
Sep 24, 2014 7:31 PM

Dec 2013
I cried at this episode more than any other episode and I'm still not over.

While I feel that the episode did seem a tad rushed, I'm overall satisfied with this ending.

Some people are saying that they are upset that the Samezuka team's race should have been shown, but I don't really think that was the point. I think the reason Samezuka was there was more to exemplify the concept of friendship. Whereas Rin has always been so focused on winning, it didn't matter to him as much as seeing his friends swimming and happy, especially Haru with his new dream and determination. At the end of the race, the Iwatobi boys all hugged and cried, leading the audience to assume that they had actually won the race. However, we know from the end that they actually placed 6th. Again, that displays the concept of friendship; they were just happy to have been able to swim together. They got to swim at nationals together and were able to see all of those new sights before they went their separate ways.

I would like to see at least some kind of OVA or something to give us a glimpse of everyone after they each went off to their new lives. I don't want to believe that this is the last we'll see of our swimmer boys </3
Sep 24, 2014 7:52 PM

Aug 2011
i'm gonna miss the gay feelings this anime made me feel. ;^;
Sep 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Jul 2012
xxdeathx said:
kinda boring episode

were you expecting police rinservice? lol
Sep 24, 2014 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
Cool. :3
So, they ended up getting......6th place? o-o

Or, so I saw....but!
WOW! What an ending...
Don't wanna mention it all, but what really made me like the final even more was how the future for the guys was happening: Nagisa and Rei still in the swimming club, Haru of to train, Makoto to study at a college, Rin training as well, and then the ending.....Haru and Rin....world championship swimming competition....
That was cool. xD

Overall, really nice series, I think this one was better than the first season, I guess. :P
Sep 24, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
it's nice to see Haru smiling quite a few times here but I really cried when they started crying ahhhh the feels ;w;

But the best thing in this epsiode is Makoto w/ glasses *^*
Vongola_Shugosha said:

WTF HAPPENED TO SAMEZUKA ?? Good luck Nitori hahahaha

^ and this! so much fab xD
Sep 24, 2014 9:33 PM

Oct 2013
haru smile <3 finally/

love that haru is all, YES now i want to swim and count and all this shit. then they dont overstate their placement in the national tournament relay race.

rin racing in the north sydney swimming pool under the harbour bridge XD so cool. ( living in sydney it's so cool to see my own city in an anime)

THE RACE A THE VERY END. omg dat future.
そうすけさんはおよぎしていかなあ
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Sep 24, 2014 10:09 PM

Aug 2011
THE TEARS ARE REAL RIGHT NOW

but did anyone else notice how they referenced back to the original commercial from 2013 with the last few seconds in this episode? I thought that was pretty clever.
Sep 24, 2014 10:14 PM

Apr 2013
I cried like a baby the whole episode... It was so beautiful.
I remember that I was going to watch the first season just because i was curious, then this anime became one of my favourites! I´m gonna miss it soooo much!!! :/
Now I´ll be waiting for the OVA!
CiaoussuSep 24, 2014 11:10 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2014 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
Amazing ending, very touched in my deeper heart, such a wonderful friendships..
And the insert song's not bad either...

8/10

.. but what does mean of the "For the future"'s text on the end of the episode? Does it mean the next's season will be airing someday?

Anyway, good job KyoAni and else` - `
removed-userSep 24, 2014 10:22 PM
Sep 24, 2014 10:34 PM

Aug 2008
A very decent sports anime with nice production values. At times a bit too inclined for the female demographic, but still tolerable for me, though. The ending was also satisfactory.

Sol_Ou said:
So they only made 6th place? It seemed like they won the thing. Strangely enough I'll miss this anime.

It felt like a more realistic outcome, though.

Given that they just started doing competitive swimming for just over a year, Rei going from somebody that couldn't swim to someone that could hold his ground in a competition, and that they were probably going against really tough competition that were real pros and intensively training on a competitive level since the start, placing 6th at a national level is not bad at all.
Sep 24, 2014 10:47 PM

Jul 2013
THIS ENDING WAS ALL I EVER WANTED

FLAWLESS

my two complaints are that nitori is swim captain and seijuro/gou didnt happen

mako and haru at the same school is also adorable

i liked this season a lot more than the first, and i liked this ending especially more than the first.

i gave the original 7/10, so i'm giving this 8/10.
Sep 24, 2014 10:53 PM
Jun 2014
Ah, and there's the end of Free! Eternal Summer <3
Such a cute episode

A swimming anime like no other (;
Sep 24, 2014 11:00 PM

Jul 2014
Ok. That went way better than I expected (I didn't expect Haru to say so many "sorry"'s). The friendship is mended.
So, I guess I was right. Australia did open a new world for Haru. I'm glad. I hated the idea of him becoming a cook. And I'm glad for Mako. Everyone saw in that one episode that he liked to teach the kids.

I'm not sure that all the recollection, starting with the first season, was necessary (I would have preferred a longer competition), but, oh well... It just makes me feel that there won't be any more Free! in the future. That crying... OMG Rei, you're such a girl! OMG Nagisa, you're such a child! OMG Mako, you're such a mommy! OMG Haru, you're... well, Haru. But that's why I love you boys so much!
The only one I didn't feel closure for is Sousuke..
Wait! Haru smiled after the competition? Haru CRIED after the competition? RIIIN! With whom you replaced Haru in Australia?!?!
Yes, yes, YES! Swimming with sakura flowers! I don't care that someone will have to clean all that mess. All my YES! This ending reminded me of the ED of the first season (running to watch my hd, creditless, first season ED, to complete my dose of awesomeness for today)

najmasakura said:
DoragonessU said:

Yes! Sail my MakoHaru, sail! And with Rin waiting for Sousuke to heal, my ships are healed. The question is, what to do with the whole episode 12 of RinHaru?... (first world problems)

mayukachan said:
were you expecting police rinservice? lol

*cough* I wouldn't mind that... *cough*

"For the Future". For the Future? Is this like the "See you next summer" of the previous season? I can only hope...

As usual, this show manages to make me shed a tear or two. For an anime made for fanservice purposes (as someone said), this was very good. For me, it was a "feel good" show. And it will be remembered and missed.

Edit:
Wait. Someone said OVA?
AdellaedaSep 24, 2014 11:08 PM
Sep 24, 2014 11:04 PM

Oct 2007
Really sad there will be no more weekly dose of Free! :( but I'm glad it got a good ending and that Makoto & Haru went to Tokyo together.
I really like how the end of the episode matched the end of the tv commercial.
9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2014 12:06 AM

Nov 2013
I just had to put it out there that the ending was so satisfying to me.
I loved how touching and amazing the end turned out to be and I'm going to miss watching it week by week.

I have never been one for sports anime, but I guess everyone needs to change things up once in a while and I am so glad I did. This anime is wonderful and inspirational.
Sep 25, 2014 12:20 AM
Apr 2013
This was an overall pretty good final ep, but I can't help but feel as though they could have spent the time used recapping to actually pad the ending a little better. Still, a fantastic season 2 and it's left me feeling pretty sad that it's over.
Sep 25, 2014 12:44 AM
Jun 2014
NEW ED02 FULL is best..~!!

Haruka, Makoto, Rei, Nagisa and Rin had friends
Oh my god *sigh* I finish air in Free!: ES..
//JUST LIKE A FIRST SEASON OF 12TH EPISODES
Roseanne Maceda
Sep 25, 2014 1:29 AM

Jan 2011
I could watch another season. But I feel this is over. It really is a pretty darn good series.

I'll miss it. KyoAni did a great job bringing it to life.
Sep 25, 2014 1:44 AM
Sep 2013
This episode made me so happy but so sad at the same time... All the crying made me cry too ugh but at the end it was happy tears *bangs head in table* It was a great episode and a great end of the anime and all but the problem is I DONT WANT IT TO EEEND
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.