Forum Settings
Forums

I think a lot of common Japanese words that Otaku's know so go untranslated

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 16, 2014 5:37 AM

Feb 2014
Since when did English dubbed anime add Japanese honorifics to people's names? And Itadakimasu? Onii san? What the fuck?
Sep 16, 2014 6:27 AM

Apr 2014
fst said:
What if somebody who knows nothing about anime or japan decides they just wanna watch some goddamn giant robots beating the shit out of each other?

LMAO
Sep 16, 2014 6:38 AM

Dec 2012
Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub
Sep 16, 2014 7:29 AM

Aug 2014
I don't understand what you mean, OP. The translations for all of these words have existed for centuries already, they're just using their English translation because it wouldn't quite fit or make sense if they used one Japanese word in English sentences every so often.
Xannieh said:
mayukachan said:

Uh, nothing? Yuki-san --> Yuki
Really, adding a Miss or Mister makes it awkward.

I completely agree with you. Adding Miss, Mister and such really isn't a correct translation.. I don't think there really is anyway you could translate kun, san and such. The only ones that would make since would be be hime, sama and such and then you would have to look at the context of even how those are being used in the original.

Well, according to the translations I've seen, "-san" is equal to "mister" or "miss", "and such".
kawaii-despair said:
mclovinballz said:
My weeb senses are tingling.
ReanSchwarzerSep 16, 2014 7:38 AM
Sep 16, 2014 9:59 AM

Sep 2014
When I just started watching anime all these listed words were unknown to me and it made just guess what is that. That wasn't nice at all, I was feeling stupid.
So for new people in subs it would be nice to at least place notes describing the meaning of words.
Now I've learned some jap words and it is not a problem anymore.
Yet I think everything that is possible to translated should be translated, only some specific japanese words can be kept with adding explanation notes.
Sep 16, 2014 10:12 AM

Nov 2013
No way. As if anime wasn't already a niche hobby. Let's make dubs understandable by only 0,1% of the population.
A good dub can translate honorifics and similar stuff without feeling awkward.
Sep 16, 2014 4:15 PM
May 2007
I believe the English dub of the Dreamcast classic known as Shenmue did something like this. I think the dub of Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza did this, too, but I couldn't get passed 5 minutes playing hte game in English and SEGA was smart enough to release the rest of the series in Japanese. Just keep the Japanese in Japanese. Ryu ga Gotoku is proof of this. Hearing all that in English just feels wrong.
Sep 16, 2014 4:16 PM

Jul 2012
MeiMisaki1525 said:
Well, according to the translations I've seen, "-san" is equal to "mister" or "miss", "and such".

Who cares if it's legit. It sounds awkward as hell. Plus, -san can be used for classmates or acquaintances. I only use Mr. and Ms. for professional situations.
Sep 16, 2014 4:48 PM
Sep 16, 2014 5:00 PM

Aug 2013
What about the people who are watching the dubs that don't know what imouto, oniisan, etc. mean? It will be confusing to them.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Sep 16, 2014 5:06 PM

Aug 2014
I disagree de geso.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 17, 2014 3:11 AM

Jan 2014
You forget "Kancho", just watched Barakamon and I felt that "anal probes" sounds really weird... :D
Sep 28, 2014 9:35 AM

Mar 2014
MrOtakuSan said:
In american dubs, I really think there are very common terms that every otaku knows that should go completely untranslated. Similar to how in american dubs -san and -chan usually go untranslated (in newer animes at least).

The words I think that should be left untranslated:

-san
-chan
-kun
ittadakimasu
okaeri
oniisan
oneesan
imotou
otouto

Just a starer list. Anyone else have any words to add?

I'm with you on the honorifics, and most dubs already leave them as they are. In America, it's become more common to put "-san" at the end of a name, simply from American movies like The Karate Kid, and other Kung fu movies. It's seeped it's way into the popular culture overall and worked it's way into the English language to a certain extent, so it makes sense to leave it as it is.
I'd also say Sensei should remain untranslated in certain contexts, when referring to a martial arts master.
However, in the context of a teacher or a doctor, it should definitely be translated into English there.

As for the rest of the words, here's the ones I didn't recognize at first glance:
okaeri

and here's the ones I don't recognize at all:
imotou
otouto

Also, not translating oniisan and oneesan into brother and sister is the stupidest thing I've heard.
Itadekimasu is debatable, since there isn't a good translation for it, but it would also confuse most native English speakers.
The way they translate it into "time to eat" or "thanks for the food" is pretty stupid a lot of the time... but those phrases make sense to the native English speaking demographic.

You have to remember these translations are done for the benefit of not only Otaku, but also all other native English speakers. So, you have to have it make sense to them. Just because you picked up a few Japanese words from watching anime doesn't mean a bunch of words should go untranslated just because it suits you.
::End of Transmission::

Sep 29, 2014 5:57 PM

Nov 2012
I don't think anything beyond honourifics should go untranslated, as honourifics are really the only ones without a concrete English equivalent.

(cough) Dunno if it's been said yet, but the whole thread is starting to feel like
oudkeeSep 29, 2014 6:00 PM
Sep 29, 2014 6:01 PM

Dec 2012
mclovinballz said:

Rofl
Sep 29, 2014 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
mclovinballz said:

Wait, wouldn't that make you the weeb?

OT: No, I think these words should be translated. Not everyone wants to see this sort of stuff. At most, the honorifics (and sensei, in a martial arts context) could be left if since there's no proper English equivalent. Even those could be left out, though.
Sep 29, 2014 8:39 PM

Jan 2012
No.
It's fine in subs, but dubs should be entirely converted to English.

Dubs are supposed to be made for the entire English-speaking population to enjoy, not just the weeb/otaku scum.

Yohimo_asakura said:
You forget "Kancho", just watched Barakamon and I felt that "anal probes" sounds really weird... :D
This is the only exception. People who don't know what that is can look it up.
http://www.kancho.org/about.html

Just as names of people and places don't get translated, the name of the prank shouldn't either.
NyaaSep 29, 2014 8:45 PM
Sep 29, 2014 8:49 PM

Apr 2012
mclovinballz said:

This. Words like "okaeri" that have direct translations should be translated, since it just looks fucking stupid other wise. Judging by the name "MrOtakuSan", the OP is one of those weeaboos who uses words like "kawaii" in every day speech.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
10 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.