Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2014 8:05 AM

Apr 2014
I tried to write a lot of things here but i only came off as a total asshole with the things I had to say.

So I'll just ask: What do you think of these people who stray away from old anime?

I personally can't stand them. I mean, I would at least be able to understand them if their preferences had something to do with the content of the shows. But they don't.

They just think old animation is bad.

And it's not.
I am an internet persona!
Pages (20) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 9, 2014 8:09 AM

Feb 2013
how old is old?
Sep 9, 2014 8:09 AM

Jun 2014
nucblus said:
I tried to write a lot of things here but i only came off as a total asshole with the things I had to say.

So I'll just ask: What do you think of these people who stray away from old anime?

I personally can't stand them. I mean, I would at least be able to understand them if their preferences had something to do with the content of the shows. But they don't.

And it's not.

I don't like the animation, so I don't like them. Who cares anyways, people keep trashing Mirai Nikki just for the lols of it without any good explanations either but it's not like I care, I still keep loving it.

Just ignore people who don't like old animes and you keep enjoying them.
Sep 9, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2014
romagia said:
how old is old?

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.
Sep 9, 2014 8:11 AM

Jul 2011
What do you think of these people who stray away from new anime?

They just think new animation is bad.

And it's not.
Sep 9, 2014 8:12 AM

Sep 2011
Do you feel that way about people who don't like older music too?

I sorta agree, honestly I don't see a huge difference between 2004 and 2014 in some shows

but to each their own, if they don't wanna watch something earlier than last year, does that really effect your life enough to post about it~

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Sep 9, 2014 8:12 AM

Apr 2014
sumusiko said:

No.

1: The animation is irrelevant if the story is good.
2: Akira has the best animation of any feature length film.
Sep 9, 2014 8:13 AM

May 2014
sumusiko said:
nucblus said:

And it's not.

I don't like the animation, so I don't like them. Who cares anyways, people keep trashing Mirai Nikki just for the lols of it without any good explanations either but it's not like I care, I still keep loving it.

We all have different types anyways….. but even though the animation is bad, i still love them lol
Sep 9, 2014 8:13 AM

Sep 2011
nucblus said:

A lot of people who watched aku no hana would like a word with you

Sep 9, 2014 8:14 AM

Apr 2014
Praland said:

And it's not.

Lol.

Also, please show me these people. I'm not being ironic, I would like to see them.
Sep 9, 2014 8:18 AM

Sep 2011
Why not read books then? I'm sure you can find much better stories there if animation doesn't mean anything. . . .

Sep 9, 2014 8:19 AM

Sep 2014
The quality of graphics affects one's enjoyment for a show a lot. I'm not particularly against people from avoiding anime/shows that contains low quality animation, but I do not, and I repeat, "DO NOT", tolerate people dissing the show as an entirety just because of sub-standard animation. Bad quality graphics does not mean that the show has bad plot.

I love One Piece, DBZ, Inuyasha and Detective conan even though the quality of the anime is not 'pretty' as compared to more recent Anime with exceptionally well crafted animation.
Sep 9, 2014 8:20 AM

Jul 2011
nucblus said:
Praland said:

And it's not.

Lol.

Also, please show me these people. I'm not being ironic, I would like to see them.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/DragonQuest3
*hug noises*

May 2013
There can also be the problem of actually finding good places to watch older anime in the first place. Nowadays we get 1080p torrents for 10 different subbers where you can choose whatever you want whereas older anime you have like one option at best.

That and even though animation is obviously secondary, a lot of people will still rather try to find newer anime where you can get both good story and art instead of bothering to try to find older ones where you can only really get the story. It's an extreme argument but I can understand it.

also yes, you can read a book instead

Jun 2014
Lime_ said:
Why not read books then? I'm sure you can find much better stories there if animation doesn't mean anything. . . .

OH SHI... SHOTS FIRED
Sep 9, 2014 8:23 AM

Nov 2010
The same thing that I think about people who won't watch new stuff. That they're close minded and can probably find anime in it that they would like. But hey, it's their taste, I don't give a shit.
Sep 9, 2014 8:28 AM

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
The same thing that I think about people who won't watch new stuff. That they're close minded and can probably find anime in it that they would like. But hey, it's their taste, I don't give a shit.

Saw your sig and wanted to check out your rating of Mirai Nikki, you haven't watched it yet?
Sep 9, 2014 8:29 AM

Apr 2014
This:
IntroverTurtle said:
it's their taste, I don't give a shit.

Seriously why do you care?
It's not your taste. If they don't like it, they don't like it.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Sep 9, 2014 8:30 AM

Jan 2013
"I also don't like new anime, their animation sucks"
"Old anime sucks"

And so this goes on, until you understand that people's opinions are not the same
Sep 9, 2014 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
nucblus said:
romagia said:
how old is old?

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.

Wow, am I the only one here who considers old anything before, say, 1998? o.o
Sep 9, 2014 8:33 AM

Apr 2014
Lime_ said:

I do read books.
Sep 9, 2014 8:33 AM

Jan 2011
dont care about them, its their taste
as for me i like both old an new anime
Sep 9, 2014 8:35 AM

Jun 2014
Well it's not about liking old animes or not, I don't watch that many because I feel discouraged thinking they aren't as good as the new ones so why waste time if there's better anime to spend time watching?

That's what I think and I know it's wrong but I'm not gonna force myself to watch something I don't wanna watch, simple.

Although most top shonens are kinda old in my book and I've enjoyed them, along with a couple others pre 2008
Sep 9, 2014 8:44 AM
Jul 2014
I'm not masochistic enough to sit through outdated, horrible looking animation for a story that probably isn't even that good. I guess I'm one of these people you're talking about.
I'M GONE NOW
Sep 9, 2014 8:47 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
AnarchicSloth said:
I'm not masochistic enough to sit through outdated, horrible looking animation for a story that probably isn't even that good. I guess I'm one of these people you're talking about.
even if you're a masochist I'm not sure that would be a factor in this case :3
Sep 9, 2014 8:53 AM

May 2013
They frankly disgust me.
Sep 9, 2014 8:58 AM

Oct 2012
JUON said:
nucblus said:

Nope. That's what I think when I hear/see the term "old anime" be used :3
I consider 2004/2006 to be just starting to turn old to be honest.
~nya
Sep 9, 2014 9:00 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
RadiShineAmigo said:
JUON said:

Nope. That's what I think when I hear/see the term "old anime" be used :3
I consider 2004/2006 to be just starting to turn old to be honest.
I think of pre-2000, feels like old if it's from the last century in my head :P
Sep 9, 2014 9:00 AM

Jul 2012
It's not about how old an anime is it's about when it airs in Japan late night anime fans (otakus) disgust me
MaorSep 9, 2014 9:04 AM
הלב שלי כבר מת
Sep 9, 2014 9:04 AM
Dec 2013
They're missing out.
Sep 9, 2014 9:08 AM

Jan 2013
Is Heidi pre-historic? Well, I enjoyed it a lot. ^^
Sep 9, 2014 9:10 AM

Nov 2012
romagia said:
how old is old?

90's and below.
Sep 9, 2014 9:14 AM

Jan 2013
I consider old anime when they have that kind of animation... something I cannot describe, but I'm gonna name several anime. Like Sailor Moon (old version), LOGH, Great Teacher Onizuka etc. Their animations have a characteristic, I cannot describe. To put it simply, pre 2000 anime
Sep 9, 2014 9:15 AM

Aug 2014
The art is more bad. But i Think the older anime fucused more in the story/plot and have a more adult feeling about them.
Sep 9, 2014 9:17 AM

Apr 2013
Sep 9, 2014 9:19 AM

Jul 2014
Sometimes I wonder how old (or rather, young) these people are who say they don't like "old" anime. Or at what age they started watching anime. Because I think people who were introduced to anime back in the 90's don't generally have a problem with "old" anime. Whereas people who are younger or who have just gotten into anime genreally do.
Sep 9, 2014 9:20 AM

May 2013
TFO1013 said:
Sometimes I wonder how old (or rather, young) these people are who say they don't like "old" anime. Or at what age they started watching anime. Because I think people who were introduced to anime back in the 90's don't generally have a problem with "old anime. Whereas people who are younger or who have just gotten into anime genreally do.

People who don't watch old anime are shallow and pedantic.
Sep 9, 2014 9:25 AM
Apr 2014
I wouldn't necessarily say that I hate old anime, since there are quite a few things I like from the late 80s and 90s like Akira, Fist of the North Star, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and the like. But what I can't stand is when I'm watching an action show from the late 90s and early 2000s and the studio doesn't bother to fully animate the entire fight. Maybe I've been spoiled by stuff like Hellsing Ultimate but then I remember that Evangelion had the budget of an LED signal and that has some of the most enthralling fights I've ever seen.

You've got no excuse Berserk, Hellsing, and Rurouni Kenshin.
-
Sep 9, 2014 9:32 AM

Oct 2009
I think we should reflect back to our choices, for instance, I felt a little biased when judging older anime because I'm not just judging it from the intrinsic quality of the show, but also from the nostalgia factors.

I often tried to adjust my opinion towards it with so many biased excuses, like comparing its animation quality with its corresponding decades, or regarding it in higher value since the anime was the 'original' avant-garde of its time in terms of plot or animations.

But if you think again that if you watched the same anime today without prior experience, you would probably have different opinion about it. I guess this is the ground where the newcomer to the medium is exposed with, they were not acquainted to the same progress of experiencing shitty decades where only few that is good enough to 'save' anime.

In that terms, I guess they were entitled to have their opinion about old shows, as well as we're entitled for our experience of the medium.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 9, 2014 9:39 AM

Feb 2010
Aside from seasonals I find myself mostly watching stuff from the 70s-90s nowadays. The art is just more appealing to me, cel animation rocks, the OPs/EDs and OSTs are also great and for movies and OVAs sometimes you even get amazing animation that is rare nowadays. Also I haven't scavenged 80% of the stuff that interests me already unlike say 2004-2014.

As for people who categorically avoid 'old' anime, it's pitiable, especially when they don't even mean 90s or older but avoid anything older than 4 or 5 years, but I stopped 'crusading' to convince them otherwise a long time ago. There's a difference between preferences and complete close-mindedness, so either people will try out some titles on their own sooner or later when it matches up with their interests, or they don't deserve it anyway. No sense in getting angry or annoyed by it. I have my seemingly endless pool of awesome oldies to get over their ignorance after all :>
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 9, 2014 10:25 AM

Jan 2009
(Is this the Old vs New thread of the week ?)

Because animation/sakuga appreciation requires a little more interest and experience than appreciating writing.

I think most of those who refuse to watch old anime (old = aired before they became fans) believing that it has bad animation are new fans that lack experience and/or curiosity, which is perfectly understandable.
For them Animation = how does it "look", colours, resolution and visual effects rather than the actual meaning of the word which defines the quantity of cuts, fluidity of the movement and the creativity/talent of the animator's drawings and poses.

One reviewer of Gauche the Cellist (1982) described the animation that took 7 years to draw as "bad", despite having one of the most detailed depictions of musicians' movements in anime.
If you have little familiarity or interest in wine, you won't be able to distinguish which bottle costs $50 and which one is the $4000.
OkiuraSep 9, 2014 10:37 AM
Sep 9, 2014 10:26 AM

Mar 2014
nucblus said:
sumusiko said:

No.

So basically the visual aspect of a visual medium is irrelevant? Good thinking.
Sep 9, 2014 10:26 AM

May 2013
mclovinballz said:
nucblus said:

No.

Inferno Cop.
Sep 9, 2014 10:28 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
mclovinballz said:

Inferno Cop.
that's barely worth calling an anime in all honesty =w=
Sep 9, 2014 10:33 AM

Apr 2014
mclovinballz said:
nucblus said:

No.

A good story can excuse bad visuals. I never said the visuals were directly irrelevant. LOGH is a good example of this.
Sep 9, 2014 10:35 AM

Mar 2014
kokkoderrisch said:
mclovinballz said:

Inferno Cop.
That's parody which is different.
Sep 9, 2014 10:37 AM

May 2013
mclovinballz said:
kokkoderrisch said:

Inferno Cop.

No it's not. The same rules still apply.
Sep 9, 2014 10:43 AM

Oct 2012
kokkoderrisch said:
mclovinballz said:

No it's not. The same rules still apply.
I don't understand, Inferno Cop has splendid animation.
Sep 9, 2014 10:46 AM

Nov 2012
There are some old works that are still very watchable this age. Some have even better animation than other new anime theses day still. They are missing out some great works.
Sep 9, 2014 10:47 AM

Aug 2014
Animation is typically the aspect of anime I am least worried about. I watch anything old or new, what ever seems good. The oldest I have seen is the original Gundam, and that was 1979, and it shows. But it was good so I don't care. The only shows I just can't motivate myself to watch for animation are Clannad and Air, looking at there eyes is like staring into a demon. I have the VN for clannad though, so i will go about it that way for than likely. Eventually anyway.
This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU! TAKE THIS! My love, my anger, and ALL MY SORROW! - Domon Kasshu - G Gundam
Pages (20) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 3 )

Cammell - May 8

113 by Timeline_man »»
5 minutes ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - 1 hour ago

10 by Mishiia »»
8 minutes ago

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

65 by chocomayu »»
24 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 4 hours ago

25 by RobertBobert »»
31 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - Apr 27

44 by InstantRamenKing »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.