Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 11, 2014 4:25 AM

Dec 2011
I already got used to seeing Ei-chan lose so I can only wait for him to actually win the tournament next time when it's going to be held.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 16, 2014 3:09 PM

Jul 2012
that friggin umpire :(

i'm glad they're introducing more potential rivals and opponents. it means that the manga will go on longer and we'll have more (realistic) tennis matches in baby steps!

MoeGod said:
I'd say Haikyuu is like Fairy Tail, which currently is at 8.53 despite being a bad adaption of the manga and just a very average anime overall.

Ew, Fairy Tail is nowhere as good as Haikyuu!!.
Sep 28, 2014 4:39 PM

Mar 2008
rasenshiruken973 said:
Why this has a 7.66 score and Haikyuu has 8.55 I will never understand. Are people drawn in by flashy animation only and some sad back stories that are resolved with the "power of team work"?

Pftt I'd like to know the average age of MAL. I bet it's like, 14 or something. That would explain it...

hahaha this
if it was me, i'll probably switch the scores around
Dec 23, 2014 1:51 PM
Aug 2014
Not really sure why it's called x-square strategy; all he did was keep trying to hit the ball in the corner of the baseline and single sideline.
Feb 10, 2015 3:40 PM

Jun 2014
What do you mean the umpire is only human, I could see the ball go in just from the anime.

eternaltorture said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
Why this has a 7.66 score and Haikyuu has 8.55 I will never understand. Are people drawn in by flashy animation only and some sad back stories that are resolved with the "power of team work"?

Pftt I'd like to know the average age of MAL. I bet it's like, 14 or something. That would explain it...

hahaha this
if it was me, i'll probably switch the scores around

There are also numerous of alt accounts that are designed to either raise or lower scores. There is forum topic to report illegitimate accounts:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618

Aug 28, 2015 2:25 PM

Dec 2014
the name perfectly suits ''BABY STEPS'' i mean all those training,still nothing. i v just expected more :P
Sep 7, 2015 4:41 AM

Jun 2014
Baby Steps is going to get many more seasons i think. The manga is doing great and still going at close to 300 chaps i believe, or more, and the anime hasn't covered the half of it.

It they keep going with this rate there will probably be a 3rd and 4th season.

Who can't like Baby Steps :o
Mar 2, 2016 6:45 AM

Aug 2013
This is unexpected.. what's wrong with Nat-chan ?
Apr 16, 2016 7:06 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
And the umpire messes up?

They don't lie with the name Baby Steps, imagine if Maruo would have won the match vs Nabae, #1 seed I believe, it would have been a big step forward.

Okada savage. He easily beats the STC player, his attitude is a bit annoying.

Jan 28, 2018 11:02 AM

Jun 2016
What an incredible match!!! Maruo gets a head start due to Nabae underestimating him, but Nabae soon catches up. He realizes that Maruo is a consistent, straight forward, and fundamental player. Due to this realization he knows exactly what he'll do, the straight forward, good option, and he counters it every time. Maruo can't keep up so he tries to manage to find some weakness in Nabae's game, somewhere he can beat him out and he forces one volley contest. It ends up going phenomenally, but Nabae being a smarty prevents this from occurring again. And what happens, well Maruo realizing he can't win through a new strategy against someone of the caliber of Nabae tries to strengthen a simple side of him creating his presumed future specialty. That is, by creating his pinpoint accurate aggressive control. However, Nabae realizing that he can't make a comeback with such an unreliable style sticks with his to finish it off via Maruo's own hands. It was absolutely enthralling seeing the peaks and valleys of this match, and seeing the developments on both sides, and especially the fact that we got to see how Maruo developed his own quirky specialty by having his back pushed against the wall.

I think it's some great advice to work on the simple things and find exactly where you excel over your opponent if creating a new strategy isn't open to you.

The way Maruo lost finally brought about something I had wished to see for awhile now, some real salt. Some real anger with the game and oneself for losing. And we got it. One could criticize Nabae for allowing him to lose the game off a miscalculation, but I think it shows his pro mentality. A pro player takes the win anyway they can get it, and in his own words "it's a part of the game".

Now for some scattered thoughts:
Nabae and Maruo are as adorable together as ever.
Natsu expressing that it's better to leave someone alone after a loss like that as insightful as it is true.
Okada reminds me of Araya, the major difference being is that he's a true bully when he plays. Araya expresses his emotions to hype himself up. Okada wants to massacre who he's facing so bad they never want to play again, or so I take from what I saw of him. Ide seems like a fun player to watch, I hope we get to see a match with him at some point.
And lastly, let's hope Maruo can come through for Natsu like she always does for him.
Jun 8, 2019 4:13 PM
Apr 2016
Well damn, Ei-chan actually lost. I'm surprised by how much Ei-chan improved whilst in the match, sure enough playing against new opponents help him evolve way faster. Ah, of course Ei's getting all friendly with the guy he lost against, that's something he'd do... The ending though, Nat-chan's in trouble, that's the first time ever we've seen such situation, truly interesting.
Nov 24, 2020 10:49 AM

Jul 2017
Bad call by the ump to end Maruo's chances of a comeback, although compared to the amount of awful calls I've seen in football/soccer and basketball matches in the past few months, this call was nothing in comparison.

He lost 6-2, 6-1 to the first seed of a big tournament for him. It's not like a regular sports anime where he's bound to win everything to just lose at the final in situations like this, he was outclassed nearly in every department till the end but he did figure out some things about his game that he should work on and develop like the focus on control while aggressive and his general usage of strategies too. Nabae was just too good overall for Maruo but at least Maruo can learn from this experience to further build on his journey towards becoming a pro. It's definitely not easy to become one and reach the All-Japan Junior tournament so being humbled by the first seed early is probably the right thing to happen to him in the long run.

Great mental fortitude though to keep on going till the very end, definitely earned the A grade from Nabae with that.
Jul 12, 2021 2:21 PM

Jul 2016
Poor Eiichirou. My boy got robbed by an umpire who's too lazy to climb down a fucking chair and see the mark the ball left.
Mar 22, 2022 11:18 AM

Jul 2021
I like how this anime deals with other people's relationship in some matter of time.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM
May 2020
Our boy gave it his best shot. 

Wait, after 23 episodes WE ARE FINALLY GOING TO SEE NATSU PLAY TENNIS AND IT IS BECAUSE SHE IS LOSING?!?!?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.