Forum Settings
Forums

How many harems did you watch until you became absolutely sick of the genre?

New
How many harems did you watch until you became absolutely sick of the genre?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 22, 2014 5:53 AM

Sep 2013
harem is doujin paradise
Aug 22, 2014 6:10 AM

Mar 2014
I don't remember but I'm kind of am tired of them. Not entirely though, just when every girl seems to worship the male main character.
Aug 22, 2014 6:20 AM

Oct 2011
ill watch it as a sub genre.
Aug 22, 2014 10:07 AM

Apr 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

I'd argue part of TWGOK's charm is that it mocks sterotypes and analyzes it partially. It works well as a transition between a classic setup that reminds me a bit of Ah My Goddess at times to a parody, much like the Monogatari at times (it tries more often than that, but usually fails).
That was what made this series interesting in the first place. But the Goddess Arc still the pinnacle of harem history.
Blue said:
I don't remember but I'm kind of am tired of them. Not entirely though, just when every girl seems to worship the male main character.
Save that remark until you've read Umi no Misaki
Aug 22, 2014 10:15 AM

Dec 2013
I'm watching Blade Dance(which is not that bad if you can make it through the first couple episodes) this season, so I'm still watching harem's.

But if it sucks, then it will meet my drop list.
...or i'll be a masochist and finish it like date a live season 2.
Aug 22, 2014 10:18 AM

Apr 2011
Why are you assuming that I'm sick of it?
Aug 22, 2014 10:23 AM

Jul 2014
tr1ckst3r said:
How can I get sick of this?

or this.
Aug 22, 2014 10:27 AM

Mar 2012
allflying said:
There are 2 types of Harem: fun time harem, and LN-tier harem. Yes, there are some exception, but most LN-harem is just too shitty its not even funny to look at.

LN-tier (shitty) harem: IS, DAL, SAO, NGNL, Haganai, Vasreus, you name it!
Manga-tier (fun) harem: Umi no Misaki, Kaminomi, 3nity7, Nisekoi, Ichigo 100%, Fujimura-kun Mates, Aizawa-san,

And yes, I'm still embrace this genre. And probably will never get tired of it.
I would prefer if you group it as action oriented or not.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 22, 2014 10:45 AM

Apr 2013
One can never watch/have too many harems. It's just a fact of life.
Aug 22, 2014 11:16 AM
Apr 2010
hentai_eucli said:
I feel like people who don't like harems are filthy casuals.

No, people who like harems are filthy casuals.
Aug 22, 2014 4:49 PM

Apr 2011
NeoAnkara said:
allflying said:
There are 2 types of Harem: fun time harem, and LN-tier harem. Yes, there are some exception, but most LN-harem is just too shitty its not even funny to look at.

LN-tier (shitty) harem: IS, DAL, SAO, NGNL, Haganai, Vasreus, you name it!
Manga-tier (fun) harem: Umi no Misaki, Kaminomi, 3nity7, Nisekoi, Ichigo 100%, Fujimura-kun Mates, Aizawa-san,

And yes, I'm still embrace this genre. And probably will never get tired of it.
I would prefer if you group it as action oriented or not.

Just add this into the first category: Oreimo, Oreshura, Mayo Chiki!, Henneko, Gaworare,
Aug 22, 2014 4:52 PM
Feb 2014
How many harem-bashing threads did I see until I became absolutely sick of the trend? Let's just say this one takes the cake.

OT: None. There are good harem and bad harem. Not all are quality and not all are shit.
Aug 22, 2014 4:58 PM

Jul 2014
They are pretty entertaining when im not trying to watch something serious.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2014 5:01 PM

Feb 2014
None, I still watch harems every season.
Aug 22, 2014 6:57 PM

Feb 2013
Udgey said:
I can watch 100 harems and 100 mechas and 100 dramas. I could care less about genres, what matters is if I'm entertained or not.
Aug 22, 2014 10:23 PM

Sep 2013
NiN10d0h said:
hentai_eucli said:
I feel like people who don't like harems are filthy casuals.

No, people who like harems are filthy casuals.

Wat
Aug 22, 2014 10:26 PM

Feb 2014
4-5, harems annoy me, and I hate the shit out of them

Aug 23, 2014 1:04 AM

Nov 2012
I still watch shitty harem anime in hopes of finding a hidden gem out of the many of them I come across.
Aug 23, 2014 1:09 AM

Feb 2012
I like harems, just not the ones with the harem endings.
I always hope the mc has the balls to pick a girl at the end.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2014 1:18 AM

May 2013
Idc about the genre as long that the anime is good.

But yeah, one more harem with dense guys, I'm out.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 23, 2014 1:55 AM

Jul 2008
Harem is the only genre that won't make you "absolutely sick", it's the usual main characters and the tsunderes that do, and their kind aren't restricted to the harem genre anyway...
Aug 23, 2014 3:53 AM

Dec 2012
I've always disliked Harems yet two series helped me get into anime-- Negima and Love Hina. Now a days I really cant stand harem or anything-- I just want to rip the head off the MC and all the tropes.

I'm alright with reverse harems though; they tend to be funnier to watch and easier on the eye than constant fanservice.
Aug 23, 2014 5:13 AM

Dec 2013
SanaeSnake said:
I still watch shitty harem anime in hopes of finding a hidden gem out of the many of them I come across.

Bullshit, you know you like it.

"After I finish fucking you. I am going to kill you."

Aug 23, 2014 5:36 AM

Mar 2012
Everyone on this thread need to watch KamiNomi if they haven't. Or watch DxD for action oriented harem.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 23, 2014 5:39 AM

Feb 2013
I've read more manga than I've seen...watched 3 or 4 maybe Idk, I'm not too fond of the genre. As far as I've seen Bakemonogatari owns it hands down.
Aug 23, 2014 5:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Everyone on this thread need to watch KamiNomi if they haven't. Or watch DxD for action oriented harem.
or TLRD for how to #solve the concept of a harem
Aug 23, 2014 6:33 AM

Mar 2012
NeoAnkara said:
KamiNomi isn't anything too spectacular from what I've seen but as well as having a pretty decent story it's charming, witty and has just the right amount of self awareness to make everything work.

DxD on the other hand is pretty shit and had pretty much all the same unfunny harem antics I've come to expect from the worst of the genre. The only real differences are the lead being an obnoxious cunt as opposed to a spineless pussy (Which really isn't much better) and a more focused plot. Although the fact that they focus more on the plot than most shows in the genre is kind of let down by the fact that said plot is the same sort of derivative garbage you can find in just about any sub par battle shonen.

I switched to the English Dub a few episodes in after I got sick of hearing Yuki Kaiji which made the show more tolerable since Issei is a lot less irritating and there's actually a distinctive sense of humour (As opposed to the original where the 'jokes' are about as amusing as typing '8008135' into a calculator). But even then it's a guilty pleasure at best.

Actually, aside from the dub (Which I can't really give the show itself credit for) the only exceptionally good things in that show were the fanservice and the girls themselves. The only thing that excites me about watching Season 2 is the addition of a trap and a girl voiced by Risa Taneda being added to the harem (Although I won't be able to experience the latter if I wait for the English Dub).
SeibaaHomuAug 23, 2014 6:38 AM
Aug 23, 2014 6:48 AM

Dec 2012
I notice most people who vehemently hate harems tend to try to apply logic and common sense to the situations that occur. They're supposed to be nonsensical fun, harems rarely promise more than that. There's nothing complex, philosophical, or thought provoking to find when dealing with them.
Aug 23, 2014 6:50 AM

Nov 2013
I can still stand them as long as long as they have a decent ending. Either pick one girl or fuck them all, no middle road bullshit.
All worship the great Tatsuya-nii-sama.
Kronie said:
Only those who are lost and empty seek guidance and fulfillment.
Aug 23, 2014 6:52 AM

Mar 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
I notice most people who vehemently hate harems tend to try to apply logic and common sense to the situations that occur. They're supposed to be nonsensical fun, harems rarely promise more than that. There's nothing complex, philosophical, or thought provoking to find when dealing with them.
And when it try to be deep mostly it fail.
Aug 23, 2014 7:43 AM

Mar 2012
NeoAnkara said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
We Without Wings is a bit messy but it had some really good themes about the pros and cons of escapism. Although for the most part it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Aug 23, 2014 7:47 AM

Mar 2012
SeibaaHomu said:
NeoAnkara said:
We Without Wings is a bit messy but it had some really good themes about the pros and cons of escapism. Although for the most part it doesn't take itself too seriously.
I said mostly after all *cough*Black Bullet*cough*.
Aug 23, 2014 7:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Grisaia is probably the only story I've seen that is legitimately deep, philosophical, has a great plot etc while still being a fantastic harem with what has to be considered the best heroine cast ever. Hell it even has an actual
despite all that.
Aug 23, 2014 9:02 AM

Nov 2013
I think I've only tried to watch ONE harem so far: Love Hina, I didn't like it at all and dropped it after 4 episodes. I'm willing to watch others though, there are probably better ones.
Aug 23, 2014 9:32 AM

Sep 2013
Samurnor said:
I can still stand them as long as long as they have a decent ending. Either pick one girl or fuck them all, no middle road bullshit.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Or all of them....and form a palagamy. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 23, 2014 9:34 AM

Oct 2013
Just can't take it anymore. Just how many girls are gonna fall in love with a single man. That's too good to be true.
Aug 23, 2014 9:39 AM

Aug 2014
Oh man, this thread is still going. I just re-watched Harem Time, and I must re-affirm my love for Harems.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 23, 2014 9:41 AM

Dec 2013
Not the quantity, but the quality.. The MC in Infinite Stratos was so unbelievably annoying brain dead little dipshit that he made me despise the whole harem-genre. There is no way in hell any chick could have hots for a douche like him.
Aug 23, 2014 9:45 AM

Oct 2009
I'm watching harem for the girls, probably pandering to the archetypes and the illusion of choices that would never be available in the real life.

For me, harem anime is mostly fed by 'what-if', "This type of girls seems nice, I wanted to know more about these types~". harem provides these illusion of 'understanding girls' through a biased stereotype which is actually mirrored from man's fantasy. In reality, girls (and boys) are not a simple block. If we imagine each block as an archetype (tsundere, kuldere, etc.) then real people are made from hundreds of them, and none of them are the same.

In that sense watching a harem anime could give one's an escape mechanism from complex social interactions, relationships made simple- you can read a character like a book, it gives you a sense of security in an controlled environment where MC merely act as the center of gravity.

Therefore, that is why I never tired of harem, no matter how horrible the story is, as long as the girls are interesting I would sit down and watch it.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 23, 2014 9:48 AM

Jan 2013
laldonkaments said:
Major123 said:

Hell yeah sir, you know what you're talking about!
TOP NOTCH
Aug 23, 2014 9:58 AM

Oct 2009
Major123 said:
laldonkaments said:

Hell yeah sir, you know what you're talking about!
TOP NOTCH

It's horrible
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 23, 2014 10:02 AM

Jun 2014
About 3.
Aug 23, 2014 10:27 AM

Sep 2013
azzuRe said:
I'm watching harem for the girls, probably pandering to the archetypes and the illusion of choices that would never be available in the real life.

For me, harem anime is mostly fed by 'what-if', "This type of girls seems nice, I wanted to know more about these types~". harem provides these illusion of 'understanding girls' through a biased stereotype which is actually mirrored from man's fantasy. In reality, girls (and boys) are not a simple block. If we imagine each block as an archetype (tsundere, kuldere, etc.) then real people are made from hundreds of them, and none of them are the same.

In that sense watching a harem anime could give one's an escape mechanism from complex social interactions, relationships made simple- you can read a character like a book, it gives you a sense of security in an controlled environment where MC merely act as the center of gravity.

Therefore, that is why I never tired of harem, no matter how horrible the story is, as long as the girls are interesting I would sit down and watch it.

Aug 23, 2014 10:50 AM
Jun 2014
a good chunk of the anime on my list (completed and plan to watch) are harems. I'm still not sure if I really like the genre or not ;;
Aug 23, 2014 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Most harems are annoying, but I don't really get tired of the genre itself. It's a whole genre, so not all of them are shit, and some can actually be quite entertaining/lead to a great story, as hard to believe as that is.
Aug 23, 2014 2:21 PM

Jul 2012
For reverse harems, I'm done most of the bigger titles and I'm still not sick of it.
Aug 24, 2014 6:36 PM
Nov 2013
For harems yes i'm tired of them sometimes but for reverse harems no not really.
RinieeAug 24, 2014 6:52 PM
Aug 24, 2014 6:52 PM

May 2014
never! i enjoy harems so much. it only annoys me when the mc is stupid about it, but harems usually make up for that fact
When people see good they expect good, and i don't want to live up to anyone's expectations.
Aug 24, 2014 7:35 PM
Aug 2014
Idk how many, but I quit after To Love Ru. It just pissed me off.
Aug 25, 2014 12:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
PallyChan said:
Idk how many, but I quit after To Love Ru. It just pissed me off.
before or after Darkness?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» thoughts on users that have a mean score of below 5?

deg - Yesterday

17 by kusairo »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

9 by mshfqtny »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

96 by luckyrune »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - Yesterday

17 by thewiru »»
17 minutes ago

» Best OG waifu (before year 2000) 😻 ( 1 2 )

flowstate - Apr 16, 2020

54 by Serafos »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.