Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2009 9:04 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The idea of a race where everything goes is not original but always interesting to see. However this one wasn't so hot, half the movie was boring, no Sanji or Zoro spotlight and the main villain was a Crocodile clone. However there were some things I liked about the movie: the animation, the amazing fight between Shuraiya and the Claw guy Needles and the final twist.

6/10 I liked the other movies better.

PS: Why is there always a kid?
VeethornNov 16, 2009 9:30 PM
Nov 19, 2009 10:31 AM

Sep 2008
Truly a "Masterpiece"!!

The best movie of One Piece movies I've seen ever!!

rofl @ :
Barkeeper: "There's no cure for idiots and pirates, is there?"
Luffy: "Did he call you an idiot, Zoro?"
Zoro: "Why me!?"
Luffy: "Because I'm a pirate." loooooooooooool!!

We even got a duo between Sanji and Zoro! gotta say that they're the best duo! even in the last movie, each one of them remembered the other one after finishing his opponent saying the opponent was nothing compared to one he knows =)

I'm rly starting to love this duo. even their fights in the eps that I didn't rly care about, I'm starting to see 'em now in a new light!

I could say that this movie made me change my opinion on One Piece completely for the best!!

10/10 movie!

Where have I been from this great, fantastic and amazing movie all this time??~
Kaito__KidNov 19, 2009 10:35 AM

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Nov 19, 2009 4:52 PM

Feb 2009
Tensai-Kun said:
Truly a "Masterpiece"!!

The best movie of One Piece movies I've seen ever!!

rofl @ :
Barkeeper: "There's no cure for idiots and pirates, is there?"
Luffy: "Did he call you an idiot, Zoro?"
Zoro: "Why me!?"
Luffy: "Because I'm a pirate." loooooooooooool!!

We even got a duo between Sanji and Zoro! gotta say that they're the best duo! even in the last movie, each one of them remembered the other one after finishing his opponent saying the opponent was nothing compared to one he knows =)

I'm rly starting to love this duo. even their fights in the eps that I didn't rly care about, I'm starting to see 'em now in a new light!

I could say that this movie made me change my opinion on One Piece completely for the best!!

10/10 movie!

Where have I been from this great, fantastic and amazing movie all this time??~

bah, can't understand how is it that good
Feb 10, 2010 10:50 PM
Apr 2009
Though I would've liked some more action, I enjoyed this one. Much longer than the first two, so everything developed better. Not too cramped, and there was plenty of story to it. Great idea by Sanji to give Luffy flour against the Candyman. Expected of the great cook =)
May 30, 2010 1:23 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Compared to others so far this movie was the best one!!! i hope next ones will be good too
Oct 3, 2010 4:39 PM

Jan 2010
vaikepois said:
Compared to others so far this movie was the best one!!! i hope next ones will be good too

I agree but the final fight was VERY subpar. Seriously candy syrup? That was ridiculous. They could have come up with something way better than that.
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Jan 31, 2011 10:06 PM

Jul 2010
compared to the other movies, this was a huge upgrade, much better.
though that power was kinda weird, and it was nice how sanji helped him out, he would have definitly lost if it werent for him.
anyway great movie.
9/10

Mar 19, 2011 9:53 PM

Oct 2008
Candy Syrup, what a badass.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 25, 2011 8:23 PM

Jun 2009
Easily the best movie, it actually had some pretty good side characters for once. 7/10.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 19, 2011 12:06 AM

Jul 2010
Candy Syrup! Personally, the best One Piece movie I've seen so far! Compared to the first three.
Jun 29, 2011 3:30 AM

Aug 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Easily the best movie.

I agree with this statement. Clock Works is my #2 fav
Jul 3, 2011 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
Found the fight too similar to crocodile. replace sand with syrup and replace water with flower or w/e that was.
Nov 7, 2011 1:39 PM
Jun 2008
was a great movie. Gasparde and needless gave, for some reason, a very authentic pirate vibe. Fighting scene with Gasparde was good, not great. But the whole cyclone thing and the exploding ship made it a great fight.

Needless fight was very good too.

Though I get why people don't like the villains because they look too much like crocodile and DAZ bones. I on the other hand didnt mind at all, and thought the atmosphere made the difference in this movie.

Furthermore this movie was more intended for additional character development then it was action packed.
Feb 7, 2012 10:32 AM

Jan 2012
whoa there was a major upgrade to this movie compared to the previous ones. besides the length, the animation looked good. i liked all the fights because they were more dynamic than the fights i'm used to in the anime. iit wasn't just a gif of a character's punch - you saw them in the environment.

i loved the opening into hannabal island (which made me dizzy but) because there was so much atmosphere. like it incorporated one piece and the wanted posters into this sleezy, lively town that felt so real while the camera wandered through all these people in their nightly routines. it was bluesy and different and cool.

the atmosphere didn't just stop there though. there's so many pirates and people and background noise in this movie that made the location so real. in the anime usually when the crew enters a bar there's like 6 people sitting at two different tables, and somehow this number multiplies into a crowd in different shots.

i liked the concept of a race as well. there was a wide array of characters instead of just a single villain crew, and the whole thing was just fun, like when they went over the mountain. the view while slowly cresting the peak was just like a roller coaster. it was also fun watching ships wipe out haha.

luffy was great in this movie. he was funny and he said intelligent, poignant things when needed and his fighting moves were hilarious (trying to eat garsparde) to badass (stabbing himself in the hands to punch). plus i LOVE how attached he is to his hat and shanks, the most adorable moment was pretty much the end where he was crying a waterfall over the hat.
Mar 24, 2012 12:46 PM

Feb 2012
The 3D effects in the beginning was a little awkward but a great movie nonetheless.
Apr 15, 2012 9:30 AM
Jul 2008
Really good. Along with Strong World this is the only One Piece movie that isn't awful.
Jun 17, 2012 6:55 PM

Mar 2010
Awesome movie!!!!! love the pics and the epic fight
Jul 4, 2013 4:07 AM
Oct 2012
This movie is great! Action, comedy, emotion... I loved it! 10/10
Jul 7, 2013 11:50 AM

Sep 2009
Really good! I love the animation, the movie characters, the race, and the whole feel of it! I like that underground place and Shuraiya super agile moves.

10/10
Jun 24, 2014 10:16 PM

Dec 2012
I've only seen the first four, but this is easily the best I've seen so far. I didn't really like the first three.

I wish they wouldn't feel a need to throw a random kid in every non-canon adventure though.
Aug 17, 2014 1:02 AM

Jan 2014
Great. Even for someone who hasn't watched One Piece before
this movie would be a great choice. It had it all we could ask for.
I truly enjoyed it. 9/10 :D
Sep 18, 2014 9:02 AM

Feb 2014
The best One Piece movie I've seen yet! That was EPIC!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jan 4, 2015 9:46 PM

Nov 2011
I liked the sense of adventure this movie had (mostly during the beginning), which is something I think the ones before this were missing. The side characters were fleshed out better this time as well. The fight scene was a little stale, but overall the movie was solid.

This is definitely my favorite One Piece movie so far. The main areas I'd like improvements in are the fight scenes (only the first movie seemed different from the typical formula) and the thematic elements (I'd like to see a different focus for a change, though I guess that part is unlikely).

Again though, it was a satisfying experience.
TripleSRankJan 5, 2015 7:18 PM
Jun 15, 2015 3:29 AM

Mar 2015
What a great movie.
It has almost everything that made me fall in love with this series long ago :)
I like Film Z more though.
The movies bring out the OP fan in me again after losing a bit of my enthusiasm thanks to the current manga arc and state of the anime.
7/10
Sep 10, 2015 1:28 AM

Mar 2015
Nice intro. I always like seeing things from innocent marine view.

"There's no cure for idiots and pirates, eh?"
Luffy: "Zoro, he called you an idiot because I'm a pirate"

Ussop looks so different without his hat and goggles. I like how in the movies they do little things that you know would never happen in the main storyline. Like Nami wielding Zoros katana.

Seriously a candy devil fruit? wtf were they thinking?
Sep 20, 2015 7:44 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Not bad, very nice movie

Jun 17, 2016 3:37 AM

Nov 2010
Good adventure. had some fun moments. i missed the old days of one piece. (i'm currently ongoing)
Jul 15, 2016 8:52 AM

Mar 2015
That was a great one, thoroughly enjoyed it!

9/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 23, 2016 6:14 AM

Jul 2015
A really good movie, it had a strong One Piece's Feels, I find the humor really funny and fresh.. :D
Altough the battle between Luffy and Gasparde was quiet bland... :3

After Sanji gave the kid a blanket and talk to her..
Ussop: "You're being pretty nice to that kid"
Sanji : "Yeah, I wonder why"(as if he recalling something)

If you have read the latest chapter then you'll know why Sanji was so nice to that Kid.... :)
a
Aug 26, 2016 5:01 PM

Sep 2014
Good movie. The side characters were also nice :)
Apr 13, 2017 1:18 PM

Dec 2016
A very enjoyable movie!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 28, 2017 7:21 PM

Oct 2016
Veethorn said:
PS: Why is there always a kid?

Right? At leat this time it was a girl. Although, since they find out the kid is a girl, she immediatly become more feminine, and they even put a dress on her.

In fact, aside from some bullshit to the female characters, like the unecessary butt shot of Nami at the bar, the movie is pretty enjoyable. The action scenes were extremely well animated, good mix of 2D and 3D, some good development of the side characters and some very intricate direction decisions, like the long shot introducing the city. I also liked very much Shiraya, reminded me of Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

Hopes held high for the next movies :)

*Still wondering when they will start letting the characters die...
May 7, 2017 2:07 PM

Oct 2014
The best movie yet of the 4. Definitely feels more like a movie than an extended filler ep. Some of the animation was awkward but it worked at other times. The intro to the town was interesting but gave off a really good atmosphere.

The side characters were interesting, but there is always some kid involved which is getting old. The bounty hunter was cool though, and Gasparde's man was good too. Gasparde himself was a little iffy, but it was interesting enough.

7/10
Mar 4, 2018 12:00 PM

Oct 2017
This movie was way better than the previous movies. I really loved this movie because the action was very amazing. Not only that but the reunion between the siblings was cool. Shuraiya's fight with the needle guy was fun to watch. Shuraiya has fast and flexible moves (somehow reminds me of Sanji).
''We have to live a life with no regrets.'' -By Portgas D. Ace
Mar 24, 2018 6:52 PM

Jun 2016
This was a great One Piece film, easily the best yet. The world building wasn't as good as last movie's, however the implied world building done through the cg trek of the town was by far sufficient. And even where it fell slightly, it's strengths are unprecedented in the past films.

The supports being Shuraiya, Grandpa and Adelle were developed enough to have motivations and depth. The contrast between Shuraiya and Luffy was hilarious. I'm not saying they were magnificent characters, but they did their job- something the other supports struggled to do in the past. These three also promoted the somewhat on the nose themes of acknowledging ones past and walking forward, as when one refuses to give up and lose meaning they will always have something good inbound for their future. So live!!!

The villains were again, not the most in depth characters, with Needles being a mostly mute meathead villain and Gasparde being 50% Crocodile jr. That being said just because Gasparde has a similar power to Crocodile, a similar weakness, and a similar world view that doesn't mean he's got nothing original. Rather than looking down on everyone, Gasparde admired power found in other people. He genuinely wanted Shuraiya and Luffy to join his crew, and even refused to kill Luffy because he wanted to give him another chance to join him. He did get frustrated but their interactions were somewhat playful. That alone is a relatively big difference and it makes him slightly less 1D than he would be otherwise. His background was also interesting, he's an ex-navy who's taken a liking in the pirate life because the navy doesn't give him the absolute power he desires. The fact his flag is a navy flag with a cross over it is really cool. The last point I want to mention about him is that I still much prefer a villain who's overly inspired by someone we've seen already when that someone was a great villain, over a 1D forgettable, unlikable, useless zany villain like the past three villains. Gasparde was memorable in quite a few ways. For Needles, I liked the slight nuance in his character. He respected Luffy enough to not stomp on his hat and was shown to be something slightly more than what we would assume. His later line about "him being his to kill so he can't let him have him" towards Shuraiya was fascinating, but I think I may have overthunken it. If it was actually in response to Gasparde being his to kill, and not Shuraiya and Needles didn't want to give Shuraiya a chance to do his job then that gives him a lot more depth. Alike that of
If not, then he's pretty much just a meathead villain with some slight nuance. The fight scene was cool at least.

Moreover we had so many great moments from our main cast, that of which is normally lacking in the past films. Luffy had stand out moments that would have fit in the anime like his straight forward response to not knowing what it truly means to say the words "I want to be the king of the pirates" on 'this sea', but yet he's still decided on it and if he dies fighting for it, that's that. Or likewise the similar conversation he had with Adelle. Or Sanji's sympathetic side when he went towards the brooding Adelle, or the plentiful scenes of Zoro being an absolute bad ass. Or the callback to both saying they'll only need one minute. There was plenty of these.

The plot was fast paced but not rushed. It pertained to the rules of the Grand Line with log poses, and absurd weather, and sea kings- something the other Grand Line filler failed to do. It was simple, but fun and it had a fair share of fan service with brief encounters of the Giants and another Fishman.

I would summarize this entire move as a simple rule of cool One Piece story that captured the essence of One Piece beautifully. It wasn't as meaningful or as well thought as the canonical material, but its simplicity is not a bad thing. For this I give it a 7/10.
Dec 23, 2018 6:50 AM

Aug 2017
The fight scenes in this movie were amazing. The story was so so but the characters had me engrossed all the way through. I see why people say Gasparde is rip off Crocodile but I don’t think so. The fights played out differently despite having similar abilities.
"Whether doing good or evil, I will be the boss."

Jul 7, 2020 11:18 AM

Oct 2009
I don't like that Zoro and the others did not even try to go to Luffy's aid, leaving all of it to the will of chance
SerhiykoJul 7, 2020 4:15 PM
Oct 15, 2020 6:17 AM

Sep 2019
It started as a good movie with far better animations in compared to the previous ones but bottom of the line is I didn't enjoyed it.

It wasn't fun enough, like previous movies had good comedy with a decent story but this one's more of a serious plot with less comedy scenes. And there no good Zoro fight (My favorite character)either, like what the hell.

4/10
Oct 15, 2020 6:20 AM

Sep 2019
Serhiyko said:
I don't like that Zoro and the others did not even try to go to Luffy's aid, leaving all of it to the will of chance
whatcha talking about it's their Moto don't interfere someone's fight. And it's also shows how much they believe in each other's strength.
Nov 2, 2020 9:48 AM

May 2016
Easily one of my favorite One Piece movies so far! I had fun watching every single second of it and it was such a step-up from the previous movies that were more like extended filler episodes. Shuraiya was an awesome character too. I'd definitely like to see more fights that are as dynamic as his when it comes to using the environment to their advantage.

Dec 10, 2021 8:44 PM

Dec 2020
nami getting angry at the kid and sanji comforting the kid were definitely my fav moments from this movie. out of all the movies from 1-4 maybe.

really really liked that bascud guy, this is why i shouldn't get attached to op movie charas bc they have nooo relevancy to the main plot😭😭 still loved it tho, easily my fav movie so far
Feb 28, 2022 4:39 AM
Jul 2018
Big improvement compared to the previous movies. This one actually felt like One Piece again
Jun 8, 2022 11:38 PM

Nov 2010
That scene at the summit gave me goosebumps and that downstream race was cool!

The fights were nice! especially the brutal fight between Needle and Shuraiya.

8/10
Jun 21, 2022 3:07 AM

Sep 2018
That was quite a fun movie, I was expecting a lot less tbh. Gasparde looked like Whitebeard lol, and it was a little sneaky to have the little sister sounding like a young boy, though I suppose that was the only way the reveal was going to work out.

The setting was quite neat as well, Hannabel Island and the layout of all those little walk ways, plus another mountain pass. 8/10.
Jul 14, 2022 12:30 AM

Aug 2018
tsk, wasted candy devil fruit smh
Jun 7, 2023 12:42 PM

Aug 2019
Another great movie, I’m really having a blast re watching these older one piece movies.

Chopper was extremely hilarious in this movie haha.

Also, I agree, why is there always a kid in a one piece 💀
Jul 14, 2023 5:53 AM
Oct 2019
One Piece Movie formula, there is always that one annoying kid lol

That 3D camera work in the beginning was so refreshing for One Piece so far.

Definitely an upgrade on the duration or the animation from previous movie.
story wise it just alright.

6/10

Sep 28, 2023 2:51 PM

Feb 2023
im actually very happy with this movie, the side characters were good and i actually cared about them. the style was better too in my opinion and i overall just liked this movie a lot cant say too much
Mar 7, 1:17 AM
May 2015
Bro ... they completely forgot about fishman Willy ajlsldfkhjfs
Mar 12, 9:16 AM

Jun 2017
wish the finale was a bit more technical, supported by the crew for a clinical finish.The whole movie was building up for that than a Luffy-esque barelling down the fight-fight.Otherwise it was brilliant - the lights,colours ,cinematography of the town ,its people .It also veered into incorporating adult nuance .It had me on edge for the better part of the movie.Ahh , also wished for a heartwalming reunion between brother-sister which which they didn't get .Ohh well it still gets a 8 from me.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.