Forum Settings
Forums

Dutch man loses family in Israeli attack, subsequently returns Israeli medal he got for saving a Jew during WWII

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 18, 2014 11:33 AM

Jan 2014
Shiratori99 said:

I've also heard that a wise man backs up his points by elaborating them when engaging into a discussion.

Well, I guess it is a good thing I have been doing exactly that, and urged you to do the same ;)
azzuRe said:
RedRoseFring said:

The second funny thing is that Israel is the only beacon of light in the Middle East closest to Western values (a lot of good that has done them with naive liberals breathing down their necks). They should just ship the lot of them over there and see how they like it.

Yes, we all remember South Africa 1879

Apparently, some of us remember it quite differently from others.
Remember when those pesky blacks from a different region were firing rockets into white South Africa?
I really hope you don't, because that never happened.

Noboru said:

Even though I understand your point, I can't agree with it.
First and foremost: this has been a personal decision made by the affected person himself.
Besides, I don't condemn or demand what people have to do. Also, it's his right to do with his medal as he pleases.

Being a personal decision doesn't make it right or smart, cause as it stands it pretty much betrays that his emotions overwhelmed his intellect. It is his right to do with it as he pleases, but that doesn't mean he can't do something silly with it.

Also, you can condemn a person's actions without demanding they do something. If not, this world would be in an even bigger mess right now.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 18, 2014 11:46 AM

Jan 2014

Interesting to note that the entire second article is a criticism of the current operation, but in the article it says that no criticism may be heard.
If the article cannot keep true to its own word, it kinda puts the rest of it in a bad light.
It is so obvious that they are free to air their criticisms, but I wonder how many they think are able to do the same in Gaza.
It is no surprise really. There will always be those who are unwilling to do what is necessary, and that never changes. It is certainly an awful position, and the treatment of women is certainly partial, but then again most refrain from combat.

But I do hope that they realize that without said military, they wouldn't be alive to say a word today. It really makes one wonder if there is some deep-suicidal predisposition in many.

But this brought another topic to my mind that seems to have been taken for granted for so long, and anyone is free to answer:
Why exactly do people expect those in Gaza and the West Bank to live under the exact same law as the Israelis when 1 of the main points of the conflict is to have their own state anyway?
Do we really expect the US to treat Canadians and Mexicans the exact same way as their own citizens?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 18, 2014 12:29 PM

Jan 2009
nucleon said:

"Genocide begins with the silence of the world," they wrote.

Some serious shit.
Thanks for reporting this.
Aug 18, 2014 1:37 PM
Aug 2014
Sophax said:
You must be a jew I suppose.

Genocide is bad mkay.

Well my friend, you supposed wrong. I'm just a guy with a good head on his shoulders ;)
For instance, I actually know what genocide is, and don't throw it around like a silly buzzword to rile up the ignorant.[/quote]
Doesn't matter what you are tbh. All I know is that you're dead inside. Trying to "minimalize" with baseless arguments is pretty dispicable. As long as you get to see your next favourite anime its a kewl amrite
Aug 18, 2014 9:33 PM

Oct 2009
RedRoseFring said:

azzuRe said:

Yes, we all remember South Africa 1879

Apparently, some of us remember it quite differently from others.
Remember when those pesky blacks from a different region were firing rockets into white South Africa?
I really hope you don't, because that never happened.

Please elaborate.

RedRoseFring said:

But this brought another topic to my mind that seems to have been taken for granted for so long, and anyone is free to answer:
Why exactly do people expect those in Gaza and the West Bank to live under the exact same law as the Israelis when 1 of the main points of the conflict is to have their own state anyway?
Do we really expect the US to treat Canadians and Mexicans the exact same way as their own citizens?

They don't. What I post earlier is the discrimination that is happening to Israeli citizen of Palestinian descend in Israeli land, which they should be guaranteed by Israeli law.

West Bank (and East Jerusalem) and Gaza is not under Israeli law, even though partially claimed and occupied by Israel. They are ruled by Palestinian authorities, but under Israeli military control. Palestinian citizens of West Bank and Gaza is not considered Israeli citizens and Israeli law does not apply to them, however the military often impose martial law on the occupied territories on the excuse of 'having no functional government', which is considered as an abuse and violation of international law (not to mention the ongoing occupation and settlement itself).

Have you seen US impose a law to ban Mexicans to travel outside of their own country? or control its trade of which products is allowed and which is not? Have you seen US send troops and build houses across lake Ontario in Canadian territory?
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 18, 2014 10:15 PM

Sep 2013
RedRoseFring said:

#1: The Jews were there first, and 'No', it doesn't matter.

Behold this insightful elaboration.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Aug 19, 2014 2:55 AM

Jan 2014
israel is an illegitimate state
http://kagami77.imgur.com/
Latest event pictures: Lucky Star Hiiragi Sister's Birthday Event (7/7), Nisekoifes (6/22), Wake Up, Girls! FESTA. (4/27)
Aug 19, 2014 3:02 AM

Jan 2011
Shut up and worship your Jew overlords.
Aug 19, 2014 11:00 AM

Jan 2014
Sophax said:

Doesn't matter what you are tbh. All I know is that you're dead inside.

You Don't Know Me

And if I was dead inside, I would be supporting terrorists like you :) But thank God I don't! Deal enough with those kind of bastards in Nigeria.

azzuRe said:

Please elaborate.

If you need elaboration on "Blacks weren't firing rockets", you may as well return to pre-school.

They don't. What I post earlier is the discrimination that is happening to Israeli citizen of Palestinian descend in Israeli land, which they should be guaranteed by Israeli law.

Discrimination like?
It is very obvious that that is not what you were talking about, because there are no Israeli citizens in Gaza.

They are ruled by Palestinian authorities, but under Israeli military control. Palestinian citizens of West Bank and Gaza is not considered Israeli citizens and Israeli law does not apply to them, however the military often impose martial law on the occupied territories on the excuse of 'having no functional government', which is considered as an abuse and violation of international law.

What laws? You do know that Arafat agreed to have the West Bank split and have sections under Israeli control in the Oslo Accords right? So your beef is with him (and maybe his widow who is enjoying billions in Europe while her people suffer), not Israel.

Have you seen US impose a law to ban Mexicans to travel outside of their own country? or control its trade of which products is allowed and which is not? Have you seen US send troops and build houses across lake Ontario in Canadian territory?

If you mean the law that prevents Mexicans from travelling into the US, then what exactly is the problem with that? If the US doesn't want Mexicans to enter it like Israel (with Egypt) doesn't want Gazans to enter them, what do you find unacceptable about the situation?
And those damn Canadians and their tunnels into US to kill US citizens! No wonder the US doesn't let materials for such purposes to go to them vile Canadians.
And also those troops they sent to halt the constant rocket fire from Canada into the US have done a spectacular job.

Of course, none of that ever happened, but one would wonder if the US' response would be any different.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 19, 2014 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
Shiratori99 said:
RedRoseFring said:

#1: The Jews were there first, and 'No', it doesn't matter.

Where? Don't see it.
Then again....I asked for questions to be answered simply, not essays. Are ye losing thine grasp on the English language Shira? A single sentence for each would more than satisfy my curious soul. And yes, I haven't given up on you answering them.
Your inscrutable mask that suggests misinformation or outright prejudice is not enough to have a conclusive view of your stance. Then again, you could be hiding behind said inscrutable mask precisely because you know your current info is in fact misinformation and prejudice....
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 19, 2014 11:15 AM

Nov 2011
Israel is kind of a dick.
The Art of Eight
Aug 19, 2014 11:47 AM

Feb 2013
friendly reminder that liking cowboy bebop means you support the massacre of innocent palestinian civilians (◡‿◡✿)
Aug 19, 2014 3:27 PM

Mar 2012
Okiura said:

He doesn't need to be one in order to return a medal honouring him for saving jews issued by a state
that committed massacres and killed his family prior to his action.

He needs to be one to have any realization whatsoever of the realities behind the "massacres" that Israel has supposedly committed and also to understand why his family was killed, and thus to give any credence whatsoever to his foolish decision to return the medal.

No one said you should. You had the liberty not to click on the title.

I guess I should rephrase my question:

Why does anyone care what some senile old man with absolutely no relevance does or doesn't do?
Let's go bowling.
Aug 19, 2014 4:17 PM

Sep 2013
RedRoseFring said:
Shiratori99 said:

Where? Don't see it.

Me neither :D
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Aug 19, 2014 4:55 PM

Jan 2008
Coolspot said:
Cant base an entire race off 1 person

Yeah, I've always hated the Dutch too. Fucking Dope smoking peace loving bunch of faggots.

I Hope Israel bombs them all to hell.
Aug 19, 2014 5:29 PM

Jan 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
He needs to be one to have any realization whatsoever of the realities behind the "massacres" that Israel has supposedly committed and also to understand why his family was killed, and thus to give any credence whatsoever to his foolish decision to return the medal.

Have you read what comes after the title ? He didn't write about "massacres" in his letter. It was my description.
And requiring from him to be an expert on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in order to have the right to call for an investigation upon those who killed his family and been accused for war crimes is laughable, at best.
Why does anyone care what some senile old man with absolutely no relevance does or doesn't do?

He did something that apparently bothers you as your remarks about him being senile, foolish and dumb cannot be taken as a serious argumentation.
That doesn’t prevent this story from being symbolic and interesting enough to be reported.
Aug 19, 2014 10:48 PM

Oct 2009
RedRoseFring said:

azzuRe said:

Please elaborate.

If you need elaboration on "Blacks weren't firing rockets", you may as well return to pre-school.

oh, but they do armed resistance, including but not limited to, bomb attacks. But that's not the point here, I need you to elaborate of why "Israel is the only beacon of light in the Middle East closest to Western values".

RedRoseFring said:

Discrimination like?
It is very obvious that that is not what you were talking about, because there are no Israeli citizens in Gaza.

Ah, my bad, it seems that I mistaken the thread with another one.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1225167&show=320

RedRoseFring said:

They are ruled by Palestinian authorities, but under Israeli military control. Palestinian citizens of West Bank and Gaza is not considered Israeli citizens and Israeli law does not apply to them, however the military often impose martial law on the occupied territories on the excuse of 'having no functional government', which is considered as an abuse and violation of international law.

What laws? You do know that Arafat agreed to have the West Bank split and have sections under Israeli control in the Oslo Accords right? So your beef is with him (and maybe his widow who is enjoying billions in Europe while her people suffer), not Israel.

You do know that Oslo Accord is already obsolete right? Especially since Israel started to expand settlement outside their designated area. Oh, to add the irony, in 2002 Israel launches military campaign to annihilate Palestinian authority in the west bank, and reclaiming total military control over the entire west bank territory, it also leads to siege on Arafat's compound, where he was isolated until his death. This is practically destroying everything what the accord is trying to prove.

RedRoseFring said:

If you mean the law that prevents Mexicans from travelling into the US, then what exactly is the problem with that? If the US doesn't want Mexicans to enter it like Israel (with Egypt) doesn't want Gazans to enter them, what do you find unacceptable about the situation?
And those damn Canadians and their tunnels into US to kill US citizens! No wonder the US doesn't let materials for such purposes to go to them vile Canadians.
And also those troops they sent to halt the constant rocket fire from Canada into the US have done a spectacular job.

Of course, none of that ever happened, but one would wonder if the US' response would be any different.

Israel and Egypt has total control of what's going in or out of the Gaza strip, including people. It is a whole different level than an entry prohibition or embargo, it is practically a 'prison' system. And yes, the troop is doing a spectacular job of maximum collateral damage, who knows those little kids was going to be a terrorist too, better safe than sorry, right?
Aug 19, 2014 11:36 PM

Mar 2012
Okiura said:

Have you read what comes after the title ? He didn't write about "massacres" in his letter. It was my description.
And requiring from him to be an expert on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in order to have the right to call for an investigation upon those who killed his family and been accused for war crimes is laughable, at best.

Accused of war-crimes by who?

And yes, if western (and probably non-western) media was in any way reasonable then they would usually require someone to have at least some expertise or knowledge of a subject before giving them a soapbox on which to extoll their unfounded opinions. And if our culture was not sensationalist and emotional to the extreme, then people would not listen or give credence to the opinions of those who have no knowledge or expertise on the subject at hand. I know next to nothing about quantum-physics and thus my opinion on it will never be considered news-worthy, so why is this man's opinion on Israel given any notice?

He did something that apparently bothers you as your remarks about him being senile, foolish and dumb cannot be taken as a serious argumentation.
That doesn’t prevent this story from being symbolic and interesting enough to be reported.

His actions and opinions are offensive to me, yes. They are largely driven by ignorance and though this man is obviously no anti-Semite, he is the useful tool of anti-Semites. I was wrong to call him senile, though I do think he is foolish. However, some old man doing or saying something foolish is only of concern to me because it apparently is of concern to other people, enough so that it warrants a news-story. Therefore, take my concern not as something for this man's actions or words, but for the people who bother listening.

The story is only symbolic because our platitude-obsessed culture is so wrapped up in easy, bite-size, faux arguments in lieu of calm, reasoned, and considerate discourse.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 19, 2014 11:40 PM

Mar 2012
azzuRe said:
And yes, the troop is doing a spectacular job of maximum collateral damage

Israel could kill every living person in Gaza if they so chose. They have not even come close to maximizing the collateral damage.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 20, 2014 1:22 AM

Oct 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
azzuRe said:
And yes, the troop is doing a spectacular job of maximum collateral damage

Israel could kill every living person in Gaza if they so chose. They have not even come close to maximizing the collateral damage.

This recent conflict alone has caused more than 2.000 deaths on Gaza sides. Among those numbers 541 were children and 240 women civilian casualties. Israel has destroyed almost all keypoint infrastructure in gaza that is necessary for the well being of everyone in the region. Including the one and only power plant in the region and obliterated the city sewage system, making access to clean water difficult. Not to mention the sporadic attack on buildings suspected to be a rocket sites, including but not limited to- schools and hospitals, the only places where civilian are told to evacuate (since they don't have bomb shelters).

One of the coverage:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/03/world/middleeast/assessing-the-damage-and-destruction-in-gaza.html
Aug 20, 2014 3:09 AM

Mar 2012
Yeah, war sucks, especially for the most defenseless, like women and children. Especially when one side uses women and children as human shields, and doesn't build infrastructure, but instead uses all it's money on missiles, guns, and tunnels.

It's a shitty situation, for both sides. The people in Gaza are living in a heavily-populated war-zone, and most have no ability to escape the fighting. The people of Israel are living under constant threat of terrorism and rocket-attacks, and can either ignore the attacks and embolden the attackers, or they can strike back at a guerrilla force that hides in a small, heavily populated, and extremely poor area.

On the one hand, Israel lets its citizens suffer, on the other, it invokes the wrath of a world that refuses to see the reality of the situation. Israel has chosen to ignore the wrath of misguided fools. I can't fault them for that decision.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 20, 2014 3:45 AM

Jan 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
Accused of war-crimes by who?

The harder you dig the deeper you get.

Do you ignore who accused Israel of war crimes ? If it's the case then you don't read information about this conflict and your opinions about it have no value.

Would it be useful to bring law experts and UN officials opinions into this discussion ? Probably not. I think it's you that said that international law is irrelevant.

Would it be beneficial to ask you what part of what he wrote is unfunded opinion ? no because you wont be able to support your answer from what he wrote and you'll elude the question like before.

You are offended by a 91 old man returning a medal issued by the state who killed his family and calling for an investigation on this in a letter you didn't read, would any of your criticism on the state of the media or or culture be taken seriously by anyone ? I don't think so.
OkiuraAug 20, 2014 4:35 AM
Aug 20, 2014 4:26 AM

Mar 2013
Israel has been commiting war crimes and grabbing land since the 40's.

Aug 20, 2014 4:30 AM

Aug 2014
StopDropAndBowl said:
Yeah, war sucks, especially for the most defenseless, like women and children. Especially when one side uses women and children as human shields, and doesn't build infrastructure, but instead uses all it's money on missiles, guns, and tunnels.

It's a shitty situation, for both sides. The people in Gaza are living in a heavily-populated war-zone, and most have no ability to escape the fighting. The people of Israel are living under constant threat of terrorism and rocket-attacks, and can either ignore the attacks and embolden the attackers, or they can strike back at a guerrilla force that hides in a small, heavily populated, and extremely poor area.

On the one hand, Israel lets its citizens suffer, on the other, it invokes the wrath of a world that refuses to see the reality of the situation. Israel has chosen to ignore the wrath of misguided fools. I can't fault them for that decision.
Aug 20, 2014 2:03 PM

Jan 2014
azzuRe said:

oh, but they do armed resistance, including but not limited to, bomb attacks. But that's not the point here, I need you to elaborate of why "Israel is the only beacon of light in the Middle East closest to Western values".

If you don't know why by now, you should really visit the Middle East. Visit some synagogues from Libya to Iran (if you find any ;)

You do know that Oslo Accord is already obsolete right? Especially since Israel started to expand settlement outside their designated area. Oh, to add the irony, in 2002 Israel launches military campaign to annihilate Palestinian authority in the west bank, and reclaiming total military control over the entire west bank territory, it also leads to siege on Arafat's compound, where he was isolated until his death. This is practically destroying everything what the accord is trying to prove.

Kinda pointless because that is not the topic at hand. You complained about Israeli presence in the West Bank, and the truth remains that Arafat agreed to it. It's not like the death of Israeli citizens in the West Bank is in accord with the Oslo agreements.

Israel and Egypt has total control of what's going in or out of the Gaza strip, including people. It is a whole different level than an entry prohibition or embargo, it is practically a 'prison' system. And yes, the troop is doing a spectacular job of maximum collateral damage, who knows those little kids was going to be a terrorist too, better safe than sorry, right?

First of all, where is your criticism of Egypt for this? It seems to be greatly lacking, and you know what kind of light that shines on you.
Second of all, are you saying that an embargo on blockade on Gaza is not called for?
And third of all, if they keep firing rockets, why are you concerned about the damaged infrastructure? They obviously don't care about it or they would have stopped, but they kept it going which indicates a couple of things, one being that Hamas values life less than their 'demands'.

Heck, if this was "maximum collateral damage", Israel is really slipping up. True maximum collateral damage would have Gaza as a parking lot in a matter of hours.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 20, 2014 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
azzuRe said:

This recent conflict alone has caused more than 2.000 deaths on Gaza sides. Among those numbers 541 were children and 240 women civilian casualties.

Um.....you kind of proved his point. Maximum damage would not see less than 0.01% of the population killed. Unless Israel was as ineffective as a blind man playing poker.

Secondly, do you really believe Hamas' Bull**** figures? Or do you just accept any numbers that are thrown at you?
Judging from track record alone, there is greater inclination to believe the 900 dead militant figure.
Heck, that is even without clarifying the qualifications of "civilian".
That is one topic almost no one is daring to approach, but these forums are here to get at the tough questions.
So what exactly constitutes a 'civilian'?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 20, 2014 2:13 PM

Jan 2014
MechaKiryu said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

What a beautiful article that points out so much in so little time. Let's point some of them out:
1) This is a long time before the current conflict, and further investigation reveals that the practice is banned.
2) A child is used to defer missiles rocks.
3) It was an Israeli group that called out the force on the action.

Now, one would have to wonder how the situation would unravel in Gaza....
Heck, it gives more reason to side with the Israelis against Hamas.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 21, 2014 1:01 AM

Oct 2009
RedRoseFring said:
azzuRe said:

If you don't know why by now, you should really visit the Middle East. Visit some synagogues from Libya to Iran (if you find any ;)
What about the apartheid analogy issue? would you mind addressing it as well?

RedRoseFring said:

Kinda pointless because that is not the topic at hand. You complained about Israeli presence in the West Bank, and the truth remains that Arafat agreed to it. It's not like the death of Israeli citizens in the West Bank is in accord with the Oslo agreements.

This is why we shouldn't cut the quote in reply, what I post is a part of an explanation of the situation as you questioned about whether the Palestinian should have the same rights as Israeli citizens. It is still relevant and going to the roots of the problem, the application of martial law without the protection of their rights.

RedRoseFring said:

First of all, where is your criticism of Egypt for this? It seems to be greatly lacking, and you know what kind of light that shines on you.
Second of all, are you saying that an embargo on blockade on Gaza is not called for?
And third of all, if they keep firing rockets, why are you concerned about the damaged infrastructure? They obviously don't care about it or they would have stopped, but they kept it going which indicates a couple of things, one being that Hamas values life less than their 'demands'.

Heck, if this was "maximum collateral damage", Israel is really slipping up. True maximum collateral damage would have Gaza as a parking lot in a matter of hours.

My stance is the same against the current Egypt administration, for they had made the situation worse because they're keeping the barricades up even when there's a humanitarian crisis across their steel-walled borders. Not to mention they were one of the main propagator of the current conflict, by negotiating 'cease fire' without even involving Hamas in July 15. I mean how dumb was that, it was a conflict between Hamas and Israel, and only one of them is coming to the table, and then they declared it is done?

Alas, this issue is not simply Egypt anymore, as Israel has taken the spotlight by executing a straight ground invasion into Gaza. You know invasion is a serious offense in the international diplomacy.

Regarding the damaged infrastructure, I was surprised to see your stance about the whole situation, so you're basically saying that Gaza deserves to receive collective punishment because some of the radical nuts launched rockets? You know how that sounds?

On the argument of collateral damage, first lets take on the definition:
Merriam-webster said:
:deaths, injuries, and damage to the property of people who are not in the military that happens as a result of the fighting in a war.
: injury inflicted on something other than an intended target; specifically : civilian casualties of a military operation

Collateral damage are assessed from the intended target, not from the whole population. If you intend to use the scale of the population as whole, then what you're measuring would rather be considered as genocide or mass murder scale.

Lets use the UN figures this time, data from United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA, yeah lame abbreviations).
Sitrep of 20 August:
1,999 Palestinian killed of which 1,434 of them is civilian.
467 of them are children and 244 of them are women.

From this data alone you can see the ratio is already hit 72% civilian casualties.
Not to mention that 3,000+ children has suffer injuries, where 1,000 of them is permanently disabled.
The conflict also left 65.000 people without home, 216 schools damaged where 25 of it is completely destroyed, it also leaves thousands of unexploded ordinances in civilian areas.

On side notes, I think I need to make myself clear. I'm not on Hamas side, I'm not on IDF side, I'm not on Sisi side. I don't support terrorism, either by groups or a state, and I value both Palestinian and Israeli citizen life equally.
Aug 21, 2014 6:27 AM

Jan 2009
azzuRe> Don't waste your time. He can go as far as feigning having poor english reading skills if he can't retort arguments.
Aug 21, 2014 11:49 AM

Apr 2008
RedRoseFring said:

Actually, there are many active synagogues in Iran. They can be found all over the country; from Tehran all the way to Shiraz.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Aug 21, 2014 12:04 PM

Mar 2012
Okiura said:

The harder you dig the deeper you get.

Do you ignore who accused Israel of war crimes ? If it's the case then you don't read information about this conflict and your opinions about it have no value.

I've read more on this situation than most people, certainly more than most here. I know full well who has accused Israel of war-crimes, I ask the question to reveal the sources of those allegations, and those sources are usually found in organizations or nations with strong anti-Israeli positions.

Not to mention the fact that the definition of what constitutes a war-crime is laughable at best.

Would it be beneficial to ask you what part of what he wrote is unfunded opinion ? no because you wont be able to support your answer from what he wrote and you'll elude the question like before.

It is particularly shocking and tragic that today, four generations on, our family is faced with the murder of our kin in Gaza. Murder carried out by the State of Israel[

He has not provided the source for the investigation that determined that the attack was murder. Since he has no source and there has yet to be an investigation, then his opinion is necessarily unfounded.

You are offended by a 91 old man returning a medal issued by the state who killed his family and calling for an investigation on this in a letter you didn't read, would any of your criticism on the state of the media or or culture be taken seriously by anyone ? I don't think so.

I wasn't aware that the full text of the letter was available for reading. If so, then by all means post it and I will read it. I've read the article multiple times now. He called for an investigation, which is fine. My problem is not his call for an investigation, it is his insistence that such an investigation is unnecessary: by claiming that the issue is already answered, that the attack was murder.

What exactly are you talking about? I read the stupid article, and I posted accordingly. It was a stupid article about a man acting (understandably) emotional, but whose actions and words are inherently irrational. He is saddened and angry about the death of his family, fine. But his being driven by anger and sadness instead of reason is no thing to celebrate or publicize.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 21, 2014 12:20 PM

Mar 2012
RedRoseFring said:

That is one topic almost no one is daring to approach, but these forums are here to get at the tough questions.

It is a tough question, and especially in a war like this, the question of who is a civilian and who isn't can get murky. In a normal war, a civillian is a person who is either 1) not a member of the armed forces of a State, or 2) not currently engaging in military actions.

In a war against Nazi Germany, the question is usually quite simple: are they a member of the German armed forces? Are they a member of a paramilitary resistance group?

In a war against Hamas, the question is very complicated. Hamas does not belong to a State, and is not an armed force in the sense that the US Army or the British Navy are armed forces. And they are not always engaged in direct military actions, yet I can't think of many people who would claim that members of Hamas are civilians.

And of course, the question also begs another: when is it acceptable to ignore the civilian cost of a military strike?

Most would give the knee-jerk reaction of "NEVER!!!"

But have they really thought over the issue? Probably not. If a nation is engaged in war then usually it is prudent to destroy their opponent's capability of waging war. And destroying infrastructure is usually an effective way of doing that. It's nasty business, yes, but the alternatives are usually driven by wishful thinking rather than cold calculation. Such practices have only recently been seen by the world at large as "unacceptable", and usually without any military consideration, but rather the misguided attempt of bleeding-hearts to seem compassionate
Let's go bowling.
Aug 21, 2014 12:23 PM

Mar 2012
azzuRe said:

So are we now changing the goal-posts from "Israel intentionally maximizing collateral damage" to "there has been collateral damage"?
Let's go bowling.
Aug 21, 2014 5:15 PM

Jan 2014
azzuRe said:

That one is simple. Gazans are not Israeli citizens. Although, the Palestinians living in Israel have a far better life than those in Gaza.
whether the Palestinian should have the same rights as Israeli citizens.

Again, they are not Israeli citizens, so the "protection of their rights" is the job of their own authority, not Israel's. We (Canadians) wouldn't go complaining to the U.S for not protecting our rights. You have complained about the rights of those in Gaza and the West Bank, but none of them are Israeli citizens. IS that so hard to understand?

My stance is the same against the current Egypt administration

Then why did it take my mentioning of Egypt for you to even bring them up? It seems that Israel is the only one in your sights.
Those barricades would go down if there is no fear of weapons crossing over, which will involve the demilitarization of Gaza. That is the one crucial step to any peace being made.
You know invasion is a serious offense in the international diplomacy.

Really? D-day and Normandy were serious offenses? Don't kid yourself. Taking action against a hostile force is a given for any sovereign nation. If the rockets don't fly, there would be no need for retaliation....as that is what retaliation entails.
Regarding the damaged infrastructure, I was surprised to see your stance about the whole situation, so you're basically saying that Gaza deserves to receive collective punishment because some of the radical nuts launched rockets? You know how that sounds?

Some? You know that they were elected into power right? Meaning that well over 40% of the population is in support of them.
If the rest feel so strongly about it, they should take steps to oust their offending rulers.
If the concrete meant for infrastructure could be hijacked by "some of the radical nuts", with the rest being silent, then the problem obviously runs deeper.

Collateral damage are assessed from the intended target, not from the whole population. If you intend to use the scale of the population as whole, then what you're measuring would rather be considered as genocide or mass murder scale.

That word, 'genocide'...It doesn't mean what you think it means.
On a serious note though, How do you classify who is collateral damage? Those who don't fight, but hide the rockets in their homes? How about those who aid in the acquiring of materials? Or those who stay in homes in a bid to prevent them from being targeted?
There is collateral damage in almost every single conflict past and present. That is something that will not change, and all the more reason not to stupidly start a war. Unless you want to suggest that Hamas had no idea that people were going to die.
Lets use the UN figures this time, data from United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs

That would be nice.....if the UN was a reliable source. It took them weeks to find proof of Hamas use of their facilities, something that other news outlets, the IDF, and people who are aware of the prior conflicts already knew beyond a doubt. And they are willing to blindly accept Hamas' reports, which doesn't work so well when those sources are well-known and documented liars.
It is just one of many signs of the UN's impotence. They also refrain from giving the criteria for who counts as a civilian. Their idea of finding out goes something like: Investigator asks a family member: "Was he fighting".
Family member: "No."
Investigator: "Okay. We'll list him as a civilian."
On side notes, I think I need to make myself clear. I'm not on Hamas side, I'm not on IDF side, I'm not on Sisi side. I don't support terrorism, either by groups or a state, and I value both Palestinian and Israeli citizen life equally.

Well, that is unfortunate because you bring basically nothing to the table. You help in no way to reach a solution.
And that stance actually means you don't value either of their lives, cause if you truly did, you would be searching for the roots of the problem and not dancing around it. Each side is guilty in some aspects, but unless you are willing to address the most important aspects and who is guilty of them, you help no one.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 21, 2014 5:24 PM

Jan 2014
StopDropAndBowl said:
RedRoseFring said:

It is a tough question, and especially in a war like this, the question of who is a civilian and who isn't can get murky. In a normal war, a civillian is a person who is either 1) not a member of the armed forces of a State, or 2) not currently engaging in military actions.

In a war against Nazi Germany, the question is usually quite simple: are they a member of the German armed forces? Are they a member of a paramilitary resistance group?

In a war against Hamas, the question is very complicated. Hamas does not belong to a State, and is not an armed force in the sense that the US Army or the British Navy are armed forces. And they are not always engaged in direct military actions, yet I can't think of many people who would claim that members of Hamas are civilians.

And of course, the question also begs another: when is it acceptable to ignore the civilian cost of a military strike?

Most would give the knee-jerk reaction of "NEVER!!!"

But have they really thought over the issue? Probably not. If a nation is engaged in war then usually it is prudent to destroy their opponent's capability of waging war. And destroying infrastructure is usually an effective way of doing that. It's nasty business, yes, but the alternatives are usually driven by wishful thinking rather than cold calculation. Such practices have only recently been seen by the world at large as "unacceptable", and usually without any military consideration, but rather the misguided attempt of bleeding-hearts to seem compassionate

I agree, and your very last sentence is part of the root of the problem. War is nasty business, and compassion can only go so far when dealing with an enemy of different morals.
You reveal your weakness the moment you show your enemy the things you will not do. Those are flashing lights that reveal to them exactly how to strike back at you, yet many bleeding hearts are too blinded to see that.

This is not related to the issue, but that is also one of the problems facing the current penal system of most Western countries.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 22, 2014 1:56 AM

Oct 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
azzuRe said:

So are we now changing the goal-posts from "Israel intentionally maximizing collateral damage" to "there has been collateral damage"?

Not really, I just pointing out that there's little difference in data even with different sources, simply because the huge international press coverage about the conflict, which makes harder for people to tamper with it, either from Hamas nor IDF side.

The fact is still clear that Israeli forces are implementing Dahiya Doctrine once again, one of the certain proof is the destruction of the Gaza power plant and the water and sewage infrastructure. The indiscriminate-flattening bombardment and shelling attack on Khuza'a town.

This time I'll source on International Human Rights Watch:
http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/08/10/gaza-widespread-impact-power-plant-attack
http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/08/04/gaza-israeli-soldiers-shoot-and-kill-fleeing-civilians
Aug 22, 2014 2:59 AM

Oct 2009
RedRoseFring said:
azzuRe said:

That one is simple. Gazans are not Israeli citizens. Although, the Palestinians living in Israel have a far better life than those in Gaza.
whether the Palestinian should have the same rights as Israeli citizens.

Again, they are not Israeli citizens, so the "protection of their rights" is the job of their own authority, not Israel's. We (Canadians) wouldn't go complaining to the U.S for not protecting our rights. You have complained about the rights of those in Gaza and the West Bank, but none of them are Israeli citizens. IS that so hard to understand?

Come on, you are trying to use circular logic here. It is clear in my previous post about the root of the problem but you just toss it away.

RedRoseFring said:

My stance is the same against the current Egypt administration

Then why did it take my mentioning of Egypt for you to even bring them up? It seems that Israel is the only one in your sights.

Simple, Egypt did not launched a massive military campaign into Gaza, you were forcing the notion into the picture. You asked my opinion, and I give it.

RedRoseFring said:

You know invasion is a serious offense in the international diplomacy.

Really? D-day and Normandy were serious offenses? Don't kid yourself. Taking action against a hostile force is a given for any sovereign nation. If the rockets don't fly, there would be no need for retaliation....as that is what retaliation entails.

First: Please read UN chapter, Article 2 point 4.
Second:There's big differences between Nazi Germany and Hamas, do you know what it is? how about the Germany invasion of Poland.
Third: International law is bullshit, but that is why Russia can't just waltz in to Ukraine, or Japan and South Korea can't just spank North Korea for eating all the cake.

RedRoseFring said:

Some? You know that they were elected into power right? Meaning that well over 40% of the population is in support of them.
If the rest feel so strongly about it, they should take steps to oust their offending rulers.
If the concrete meant for infrastructure could be hijacked by "some of the radical nuts", with the rest being silent, then the problem obviously runs deeper.
You sound just like Ayeled Shaked.

RedRoseFring said:

That word, 'genocide'...It doesn't mean what you think it means.
On a serious note though, How do you classify who is collateral damage? Those who don't fight, but hide the rockets in their homes? How about those who aid in the acquiring of materials? Or those who stay in homes in a bid to prevent them from being targeted?
There is collateral damage in almost every single conflict past and present. That is something that will not change, and all the more reason not to stupidly start a war. Unless you want to suggest that Hamas had no idea that people were going to die.

Again, you are suggesting the collective punishment idea. Don't start a war so we don't have to kill your citizen along with your soldier.

RedRoseFring said:

Lets use the UN figures this time, data from United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs

That would be nice.....if the UN was a reliable source. It took them weeks to find proof of Hamas use of their facilities, something that other news outlets, the IDF, and people who are aware of the prior conflicts already knew beyond a doubt. And they are willing to blindly accept Hamas' reports, which doesn't work so well when those sources are well-known and documented liars.
It is just one of many signs of the UN's impotence. They also refrain from giving the criteria for who counts as a civilian. Their idea of finding out goes something like: Investigator asks a family member: "Was he fighting".
Family member: "No."
Investigator: "Okay. We'll list him as a civilian."

Do you have proof, and maybe, suggest another source?
At least I'm bringing mine to the table.

RedRoseFring said:

Well, that is unfortunate because you bring basically nothing to the table. You help in no way to reach a solution.
And that stance actually means you don't value either of their lives, cause if you truly did, you would be searching for the roots of the problem and not dancing around it. Each side is guilty in some aspects, but unless you are willing to address the most important aspects and who is guilty of them, you help no one.

*facepalm*
Aug 22, 2014 5:48 PM

Jan 2014
azzuRe said:

Come on, you are trying to use circular logic here. It is clear in my previous post about the root of the problem but you just toss it away.

That makes no sense. We are talking about Gaza, not the West Bank which is ruled by a completely different party.

Simple, Egypt did not launched a massive military campaign into Gaza, you were forcing the notion into the picture. You asked my opinion, and I give it.

But they are part of the blockade which is the number 1 demand of Hamas. Basically, you are contradicting what you previously said about looking for the root of the problem by ignoring the cause that Hamas themselves have stated.

First: Please read UN chapter, Article 2 point 4.
Second:There's big differences between Nazi Germany and Hamas, do you know what it is? how about the Germany invasion of Poland.
Third: International law is bullshit, but that is why Russia can't just waltz in to Ukraine, or Japan and South Korea can't just spank North Korea for eating all the cake.

So......the Allies would have had no grounds to attack Germany if Germany only bombed Poland instead of invading it? Do you realize how ridiculous your accusations are getting?

You sound just like Ayeled Shaked.

Uh....in what way? Or are you seeing things again? Or unable to analysis the English language? There can be no other reason for such a laughable comparison.

Again, you are suggesting the collective punishment idea. Don't start a war so we don't have to kill your citizen along with your soldier.

How so? I fail to see where I stated that Israel should just bomb everyone and level Gaza which would only take a few hours. I am simply suggesting that people be held responsible for their actions. If the Gazans do not want their civilians to die (including the 18 that were just executed by Hamas), they would oust them and elect a responsible party.
As unfortunate as this current situation is, they should be thanking God Allah that it is the Israelis they are facing, and none of their Arab neighbours that would have wiped them out last Tuesday.

Do you have proof, and maybe, suggest another source?
At least I'm bringing mine to the table.

I already suggested that the IDF's figures are more reliable, seeing as they were even right that Hamas were responsible for the kidnapping when they themselves were not aware.
Logic has taught me that it is wiser to stick with the side that has a large margin of being right ;)

*facepalm*

Good to see that you are realizing how pointless your assertions have been. True compassion involves action, not unwittingly supporting the terrorists by not calling them out for their bull****. Heck, I had to fight tooth and nail to just get you to bring Hamas into the conversation.
You can preach love and peace all you want, but when you lie down and let the terrorists kill you, you only fuel their stupidity and become party to it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 22, 2014 5:52 PM

Jan 2014
And the icing on the cake:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hamas-leader--don-t-compare-us-to-isil-193125056.html

"We don't support killing of civilians, but oh yeah, our militant wing murdered 3 Israeli teens, and oh yeah ... it was okay because of the occupation."
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Aug 26, 2014 4:08 PM
Apr 2013
Water is too expensive in Palestine, and there's not enough. Freezers are reserved for dead bodies. Here's their version of Bucket Challenge.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.